PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Toronto FC - Postgame

Gixmo
05-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Great Game, Frei to the rescue again.. Shaky second half(Even worse final 15), first seemed better. Weather was a pain in the butt, but that's Toronto. I believe you'll need a better effort to get past Montreal though.

Chad Barrett... Tsk..Tsk..Tsk My grandma challenges you to a finishing contest
Pablo Vitti has to get going into the back of the net
Robbo seemed to be everywhere tonight, lots of good play
Attakora - A solid performance in his first full game

Quality chanting tonight, loud and proud - Never disappointing

Gerry Dobson - Are you drunk? Come on man, that was the worst performance I've watched with you. Marlon King? Pablo Vitti out for Martin Nash? All over the place tonight man, yikes!

Debate!

Oblio2
05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Good result.
Will be even happier when we beat those fuckers from Montreal.....

James17930
05-06-2009, 09:03 PM

:D

Inswingingwingman
05-06-2009, 09:04 PM
A guy in a wheelchair can finish better than Barrett. Oh, and the post game show was ..oh we won..Now the Blue Jays.

Feck.

OneLoveOneEric
Great result. Unfortunate some shit face had to throw a beer at Nash near the end there....

RedWookie
I was glad to see barrett taken out. all in all, better played game than columbus.

kdzb
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Great Game.
Attakora-Guyan just made it difficult for Cummins to cut his minutes.
He was fantastic tonight. He really shined tonight for somebody who had only 1 minute of action before this game.

DRock
I was really dissapointed in Barrett today, that was pathetic play. He got so much service but did nothing.

Inswingingwingman
We need to find a guy the size of a mountain who can stand if front of the net. About a foot taller than Diccho and 350 pounds. No wait it didn't work for the Shitecraps. Whaaaaaaaaaaancouvhar. Sounded like babies or whaaaaaambulances. Spent more time yelling at each other and the ref than playing the game.

We mostly sucked in the second half.

cy43
05-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Yah barrett was good except for finishing, i could finish the second chance 19/20 times.

Good Wet game.

dantdot
Frei saves the day, Barrett still stinks and TFC win. All is well in the universe.

Inswingingwingman
The guy with the beer that was bad, but maybe give him some boots, probably Chad's, cause he can't hit a barn door. Open or closed.

Nerepis
05-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Good Result! Could'a been Should'a been 5-Nil. Bring on the Limpact.

SilverSamurai
05-06-2009, 09:08 PM
3 points. But Barrett... come on man...
k its 4am here. im out.

Krasno.pL.
05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Let the Deserved Barett bashing begin! haha what a finisher he is!
Good Game for the least.. gotta get fans not scared of the rain.
Bring on DC

kdzb
05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Barrett is starting to frustrate me.
How many opportunities does he need to put one in the net.
He play with a lot of heart but we want goallllllllllllllls Chad!

TFC07
05-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Barrett is SHIT! TFC should have won by 3 goals.

Even though TFC won, they didn't play well at all.

DeRo was a monster though.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to give Frei credit for his save.

TFC07
05-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Maybe Barrett should play on the wing and have either DeRo or Vitti play in middle. Would that solve anything?

AdamZ
05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
One of the few things in life I like more than TFC is LOST.

So I missed the second half except for what I watched during breaks.

But pretty solid first half. DeRo was great. If he can play like that for the rest of the season...

Redcoe15
05-06-2009, 09:22 PM
TFC beat the Whitecraps! That's all that matters! :scarf:

DeRo was the man of the match. His cross to Harmse was a thing of beauty. And he was all over the pitch throughout the match. Attakora was full value filling in for Serioux. And Frei's save late in the match was world class. Before, that would have gone into the net.

The downside? Barrett! Twice he muffs it up with open space in front of him. Mental block my arse. He's all start and no finish. And they were a little sloppy at the end.

Overall, they could have had more goals. But they played very well throughout the match and deserved the victory. One down, three to go. Next up, Montreal. For their nut-stomping! :devil:

Keegan
05-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Great Game, Frei to the rescue again.. Shaky second half(Even worse final 15), first seemed better. Weather was a pain in the butt, but that's Toronto. I believe you'll need a better effort to get past Montreal though.

Chad Barrett... Tsk..Tsk..Tsk My grandma challenges you to a finishing contest
Pablo Vitti has to get going into the back of the net
Robbo seemed to be everywhere tonight, lots of good play
Attakora - A solid performance in his first full game

Quality chanting tonight, loud and proud - Never disappointing

Gerry Dobson - Are you drunk? Come on man, that was the worst performance I've watched with you. Marlon King? Pablo Vitti out for Martin Nash? All over the place tonight man, yikes!

Debate!

Cummins said he was starting his best team and I must say about damn time Attakora is in that team, Carver never game him a shot.

s2cazz
05-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Who was that amazing new defender of ours wearing a Marco Velez suit?

Vince Whirlwind
Maybe Barrett should play on the wing and have either DeRo or Vitti play in middle. Would that solve anything?

God please...yes!

Really lucky that Frei saved the day - it shouldn't have been as close of a score as it was.

Stick Barrett out wide and let Vitti try a few games in the middle. Mind you, he's been as effective as Barrett.

Otherwise, good effort!

TFC USA
Barrett just tries so hard dammit!

Give him another start for his goody goody effort.

The play that pissed me off the most was when Vitti was available when the goalkeeper committed and Barrett shot it from a tough angle.

Vitti didn't do much but he was far better than Barrett.

To sum up, Frei good. Barrett should be benched. Vitti is running out of time. DeRo can make anyone or team his bitch.

TFC USA
05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Check my previous comment, when Barrett passed the ball without looking that made me want to kill someone.

Pookie
05-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Check my previous comment, when Barrett passed the ball without looking that made me want to kill someone.

I don't think that would stand up in court...

King Jeff
05-06-2009, 09:33 PM
I was surprised that Ricketts didn't even get a run-out today. He must be on the way out, considering his salary.

Lennon
05-06-2009, 09:43 PM
One of the few things in life I like more than TFC is LOST.

TV show > TFC :eek6:

AdamZ
05-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't think Barrett should be benched. He has speed and solid control of the ball and plays with passion.

But he definitely should be out wide and not our head striker.

AdamZ
05-06-2009, 09:47 PM

It's LOST!

Gixmo
05-06-2009, 09:47 PM
The performance from Attakora surprised me, He exceeded my expectations. It'll be interesting to see when Serioux is fit again - Obviously, he starts but Attokra brings a quality second half change available to strengthen a back line that seems to lose gas late, or at the very least welcome a change. Quality stuff tonight. A few moments here and there but late in the game kept smart through the pressure.

We need to find a way to keep Frei from Europe, he is rock solid. Good sense of mind to avoid slidding out of the box late in the second, nice brakes!

Barrett just goes and goes, but never finishes it off. There comes a time when creative play making has to go for someone who can finish. He just puts his head down and hammers, no look, no placement.. It's frustrating, but he has to produce quickly in my mind

Fushida
05-06-2009, 09:48 PM
The performance from Attakora surprised me, He exceeded my expectations. It'll be interesting to see when Serioux is fit again - Obviously, he starts but Attokra brings a quality second half change available to strengthen a back line that seems to lose gas late, or at the very least welcome a change. Quality stuff tonight. A few moments here and there but late in the game kept smart through the pressure.

Did I miss something? Is Serioux injured?!

someone grab me my pitchfork and torch :drum:

tlear
05-06-2009, 09:51 PM
So many chances, this could have easily been 3-0 TFC win.. overall dominating performance (except for finishing..) next is Limpact :)

TFC USA
05-06-2009, 09:54 PM
I don't think Barrett should be benched. He has speed and solid control of the ball and plays with passion.

But he definitely should be out wide and not our head striker.

:drinking:

Solid control of the ball? How about no first touch and an inability to shoot it past the keeper 99% of the time.

The one good moment of brilliance was when DeRo played the ball with his hand when Barrett was twisting and turning for the cross. Other than that he was underwhelming.

I think Barrett should seriously consider changing positions. He's not even a 2nd rate striker. As a winger maybe he'll be better.

BRed
05-06-2009, 10:01 PM
I know for a fact that I AM better than Barrett. And no I am not joking.

Gixmo
05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
It was my impression Serioux was out tonight for rest when he jumped for a head ball last week? tweaked something... nothing serious though

jloome
05-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Easy solution to TFC scoring woes:

Barrett------------------->
<-----------------Vitti

mclaren
05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
If Cronin was out there, the win would've been more convincing.

dag
05-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Glad for the victory, but I expect Toronto to make a stronger showing in a game like this.

I hope we get some rest before Saturday's match. The lads will be exhausted by the end of the month.

MFG1
05-06-2009, 10:16 PM
it should have been 3 or 4 -0 for TFC. these guys have to work on playing through. Vancouver literally stood still when the had the ball. The forwards should have plucked them all night long. nice win but improvement is still needed bad.

Chase
05-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Im growing more and more frustrated with Chad Barrett. Why cant he find the back of the net? How much longer do we have to watch this. I have a feeling he is trying, but its just not working.

Bars92
05-06-2009, 10:36 PM
where are the people who chirp Harmse now eh?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Easy solution to TFC scoring woes:

Barrett------------------->
<-----------------Vitti

id definitely like to see it tried out, i can see Cummins giving it a go after this game today

Keyman
05-06-2009, 10:37 PM
He's still shit.

billyfly
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Im growing more and more frustrated with Chad Barrett. Why cant he find the back of the net? How much longer do we have to watch this. I have a feeling he is trying, but its just not working.

It was the same in Shitago. Remember the video montage that they sent us after the trade?

Steve
05-06-2009, 10:39 PM

Am I living in Bizarro world, or did Barrett not score oh, 4 days ago? Are our memories really that bad, that we don't remember him scoring last game?

Sorry, right, Barrett is terrible and has never finished in his life (doesn't he have the second most goals on our team this year? Sorry, right, irrelevant)

AdamZ
05-06-2009, 10:42 PM
as a winger maybe he'll be better.

that's what I'm saying.

I didn't think he was very good tonight, that doesn't change that he's done some relatively impressive work in the past.

When O'White recovers from injury I would support benching Barrett, unless he improves drastically between now and then. But I don't know about starting Dichio in his place, I see Dichio in more of a 'supersub' role this year. Maybe I'm wrong but his best is probably behind him. He's definitely a better finisher than Barrett, but that's about it from what I've seen this season.

I'm no blind fan of his, just looking at what's currently going on and giving my opinion.

billyfly
05-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Its not that Steve. Its the ratio of chances to scores that gets everybody mad.

His work ethic gets him there but his final touch doesn't take him to the promised land.

Waggy
05-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Barretts finishing was HORRIBLE tonight, but he had some NICE plays in open field. He almost set up 2 or 3 goals (where other guys finishing failed them). Dero also had 2 or 3 QUALITY chances where he didn't get even a half decent shot off. If we have to have a failing as a team, finishing is fine by me. I'd MUCH rather our defense and midfield play well, like they did for the vast majority of today, and have some issues finishing then the alternative. All in all, I was pretty impressed by the performance today though. Great job (esp shouts out to Frei. Awesome buddy. Awesome)

rocker
05-06-2009, 10:44 PM
vancouver looked like SHIT. They were not as good an opponent as columbus.
the shitecaps could barely put a long pass together, and they need to work on their shooting. did they get 1 shot on goal in the first half?

So I find it hard to take much from the game given how rusty Vancouver looked. They came on near the end, but the only time i was genuinely worried was on that play that Frei saved. Otherwise I never felt like Vancouver was going to win this. They looked better at BMO last year.

I really wish we'd got at least a second goal in case goal differential matters down the road.

bhoybobby
05-06-2009, 10:47 PM
We'll be lucky to hold on to Frei if he keeps playing like that, he'll be off to Europe in no time, save our bacon again.

Dichio does more in 15 mins than Barrett does in a night, Barrett ain't got it. Vitti, sub par, young lad at the back did well.

ExiledRed
05-06-2009, 11:11 PM
It's LOST!

So are you, mate.

Yohan
05-06-2009, 11:25 PM
quick one before heading to bed

The Good
-3pts towards winning this cup!
-Frei saves the day, again
-Attakora-Gyan's display. Where did that one come from?
-DeRo pwning so many Shitecaps one on one

The Bad
-general lethargic play when the rain started to really come down. midfield, dont freaking stand still
-Guevara's work rate. Search party still havent found it yet
-all the wimps that fled for the hills when it started to rain

The Ugly
-Marco Reda
-Barrett's finishing
-TFC's lack of finishing overall

The Awesome
-South east corner to north west corner TFC massive. That was freaking awesome
-The noise from south end overall

AdamZ
05-06-2009, 11:27 PM
So are you, mate.

Good one.

For the record, I will be watching the rest of the game as I have it recorded. I might have recorded Lost if it were earlier in the season.

Lucky Strike
05-06-2009, 11:42 PM
I invite you to check out my player ratings.

http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?p=509199#post509199

MrHawk
05-06-2009, 11:51 PM
The noise was great tonight, but as usual the finishing is lacking.

Even the Sportsnet Commentators were making fun of Guevara's diving.

loconet
05-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Great noise tonight. Sitting in 219, it was loud and clear.

In 9 months time there will be a lot of little DeRos running around Vancouver because he raped half of that team.

Frei absolutely class. I hope we can keep him for long. Guevara and Vitti seemed a bit out of it IMO - is it the rain again? Dichio added a nice extra dimension in the attack towards the end - the old man can still change the game.

Much better than last week and miles ahead of last year but there is still much work to be done. We need to gain confidence when we have the ball, control the game, pace ourselves, think.

Big Bruva
05-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Not sure why Vitti got taken off so late.

For me he did nothing the second half and no word of a lie i forget he was playing.

ExiledRed
05-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Not sure why Vitti got taken off so late.

For me he did nothing the second half and no word of a lie i forget he was playing.

He needs the big man at centre forward. He plays great off Dichio but has no rapport with Barrett or DeRo.

Cashcleaner
05-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Good game! Frei has more than proven himself now. We really looked confident out on the pitch, though I agree Barrett is getting on my nerves as well. How many more chances can we give this guy?! I'm actually quite surprised we didn't bury another goal in tonight, but I'll take the win nonetheless.

Some central-field passing was errant and I think we still gotta work on it, but for the most part possession was good.

Roogsy
05-07-2009, 12:37 AM
He needs the big man at centre forward. He plays great off Dichio but has no rapport with Barrett or DeRo.

I can't disagree.

Vitti, Dichio and Barrett are a formation he favours. He does not look comfortable in the newer setup.

Shakes McQueen
05-07-2009, 02:38 AM

Lately he has been playing further out along the wings, and I agree, he has been better there. His crosses are improving - he had a couple of great ones in the first half.

But yeah, those misses in the second half were pretty terrible.

- Scott

GhostPK
05-07-2009, 03:42 AM

Right here.

Still dont like him, but props to the header. That makes up for the rediculous foul at the end of last year resulting in a PK.... maybe.

GhostPK
05-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Im excited to watch TFC destroy whitecraps at home.

The commentator said "The crowd here at BMO field is very loud and no doubt Vancouver fans will respond in the same way at swangard". I had to start laughing... what fans? Fan support at last years game in swangard for the whitecraps was a joke. Much like this year.

Good game lads, now lets dominate montreal

SteeltownBhoy
05-07-2009, 03:59 AM
We need to find a way to keep Frei from Europe

What do you mean., thats our grass and roof!!! When the time comes we won't be able to keep him from Europe. Makes me wonder though where is the mythical Edu money ??
Maybe Mo has it stuffed under his mattress!!!!!!

sidvan
05-07-2009, 04:21 AM
I understand that they had to go through DeRo as he was winning almost every one on one on the left wing but, Vitti was wide open on the right for half the game and the ball barely came that way. When it did come to the right it was with a too slow switch across the back. We should have won by 4 but I'll take the 3 points and move on. Another game we owe to Frei.

GBV
05-07-2009, 04:56 AM
He's still shit.

most around me still agreed. poking in a header into a yawning net don't change that.

FluSH
05-07-2009, 05:45 AM
What a game....

There is much to be hopeful for... DeRo was HUGE in this game... Wynne and Nana also!

TFC John
05-07-2009, 05:45 AM
Hey Chad! There's only one Jeff Cunningham - stop trying to be him!!!

Frei - Before the game I thought maybe it would be nice to see Greg Sutton out there. Had that been the case, I think we might be looking at a tie today. We need a better Stephan Frei chant!

Harmse - I hate you even more because you are proving me wrong about you. He did more than just pop in the goal; and that header wasn't as easy as it looked.

Attakorra - Who says our backline is weak and has no depth? Vancouver was counting on being able to break it down but this kid brought some real game. Future of the team.

Robbo - was Robbo. Always consistent. I wish I could say the same for Amado.

Overall - Happy to have 3 points - wish we had 3 goals.

denime
05-07-2009, 05:51 AM
This statistic shows how much TFC dominated Shitcaps.

Toronto outshot Vancouver 12-2 (9-2 in shots on target).

I think Barret alone outshot Vancouver last night 8-2 and they tied on scoring Barret 0-0 Vancouver. :D

CoachGT
05-07-2009, 06:37 AM
After the game, walking down to the south end, I literally bumped into an older guy wearing an RPB bar scarf coming out of a private box. I took a look and realized it was Larry Tanenbaum of MLSE, wearing the scarf I gave hom at the Leafs/Hurricanes game last fall!

TFC_Toon
05-07-2009, 07:02 AM
I understand that they had to go through DeRo as he was winning almost every one on one on the left wing but, Vitti was wide open on the right for half the game and the ball barely came that way. When it did come to the right it was with a too slow switch across the back.

I agree here Sidvan, for the most part we played the ball wide left for Dero, which was fine as it was met with success, however they need to get Vitti on the ball more often. Usually when he gets it, he makes use of it.

TFC_Toon
05-07-2009, 07:13 AM

Not a fan of Harmse, utility player at best for me, but give credit where it is due, he got into the box and finished with confidence, securing the points.

Not sure on the yellow card he received, he and the Whitecap CB were booked, either it was a dive or a foul ref...yes? It can't be both.
Perhaps they were jawing at each other, little strange that one.

Oldtimer
05-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Not a fan of Harmse, utility player at best for me, but give credit where it is due, he got into the box and finished with confidence, securing the points.

Not sure on the yellow card he received, he and the Whitecap CB were booked, either it was a dive or a foul ref...yes? It can't be both.
Perhaps they were jawing at each other, little strange that one.

Yet you have to admit that Harmse looks better in his natural midfield position instead of Carver's playing him in defense.

I agree with those who say Toronto should have had more goals, and it may count down the road. Still happy for the win, though.

Frei was impressive in net. Even though I too favoured Sutton for this match, Frei is by far our best keeper and is shaping out to be one of the best in MLS. Hard to believe he was passed up by so many teams in the draft, Mo bagged us a good pick!

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Harmse in midfield added an aggresion we needed vs a team who, like Montreal, had to get chippy when they couldn't keep up with us. I'm not sold on him but that performance, as with Velez, granted another look in the future.

Barrett was unlucky. That last chance he had was a such a wonky bounce one could see why it didn't connect. Vitti was stranded too many times out there and long balls sailing over him that Ibby got to after the sub was made but Ibby held the ball instead of haveing a go! Twice I thought Ibby could've really given us the goals we need to give us a healthy cushion for this tourney.

More confusion from Guevara/DeRo link ups but most concerning early on was the Wynne vs 'Couver's#9. I noticed how little we used him and tried to avoid that part of the field. 'Couver had at least 3 real chances to score and skied them all. Scary shite.

This is all the little things to nitpick after a win and I'm pleased with the overall performance.

:scarf:

Yohan
05-07-2009, 08:51 AM
lol. I will do a bit more of nitpicking then ;)

GK: It's going to take a long time for Sutton to get his chance if Frei plays like this. (Huge Sutton fan speaking here)

Defence: Nothing wrong. Finally defence seems to be communicating better. Velez and Attakora did not look out of place at all.

Midfield: Overall solid, but I think mostly because of DeRo. He was a giant playing with midgets. One on one, Vancouver had nobody that could stop DeRo. His finish was pretty bad, and that Hand of God act had me lol.
Guevara... FFS. Find some work rate. Probably has least heart of all the TFC players right now. Made that one great pass to DeRo for first goal, and that last shot just outside the box, was Guevara even playing?
Esp in middle of the game, way too much standing around. Frustrating as hell when one of your buddy is trapped with 3 Vancouver players surrounding him, and he needs help, give him support. When DeRo is running down left wing, I think Barrett was like the only guy who hustled.
Offence: Barrett, IMO is a winger now. Again, hard work. The one move he nutmegged two Van defenders for a cross for DeRo's Hand of God act was pure class. Finishing though. Gah. So frustrating.

It's good to see more shots on net, but lacks that cutting edge finishing. More practice required!

Gotta take into account wet plastic and ball. Makes things more tricky. It seemed to affect Vancouver more than Toronto though.

billyfly
05-07-2009, 09:15 AM
I forgot to ask and not sure if its in this thread already but - did Marco Reda give the South End the finger after his "injury"?

EDIT: Just saw the other thread specifically on this

H Bomb
05-07-2009, 09:17 AM
It was a Lenar-doozy

billyfly
05-07-2009, 09:20 AM
We were being slightly rude to the man when he was lying there.....

Hustle
05-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Nice win....EPIC MASSIVE...it was a thing of beauty!

Oh yeah, and Robo?
Fuckin' SOLID AS A ROCK! He's going on my Jersey...its done.

Frei:
PLeeeeease don't Go.
Doon't Gooooooooooo!
Don't Go Away!!!
I'm beggin you to stay!

Anyone know any super hot chick or two who refuse to ever leave Toronto who we could hook up with Frei to get that man tied down? :D

denime
05-07-2009, 09:21 AM
I forgot to ask and not sure if its in this thread already but - did Marco Reda give the South End the finger after his "injury"?

Answer:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13085

billyfly
05-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Nice win....EPIC MASSIVE...it was a thing of beauty!

Oh yeah, and Robo?
Fuckin' SOLID AS A ROCK! He's going on my Jersey...its done.

Frei:
PLeeeeease don't Go.
Doon't Gooooooooooo!
Don't Go Away!!!
I'm beggin you to stay!

Anyone know any super hot chick or two who refuse to ever leave Toronto who we could hook up with Frei to get that man tied down? :D

You can thank Workie among others for that.

ensco
05-07-2009, 09:27 AM

I'm not sure what's going on with Vitti. He is wandering all over the field, not holding his position whatsoever. It was a stark contrast to DeRo, who is a natural libero but did what he was asked to do, which is hold his wing perfectly, to great effect, last night. There were a number of ridiculous examples of this last night (especially when Vancouver had the ball on side away from him, he repeatedly drifted towards the ball like a schoolboy player)

This was true last Saturday against Columbus, with Dichio in, so I'm not sure it's just about Dichio.

I like Vitti's energy and obvious talent, and even his freelancing ability, but it has to be part of the system.

Hustle
05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks Workie!

ThunderTundra
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure what's going on with Vitti. He is wandering all over the field, not holding his position whatsoever. It was a stark contrast to DeRo, who is a natural libero but did what he was asked to do, which is hold his wing perfectly, to great effect, last night. There were a number of ridiculous examples of this last night (especially when Vancouver had the ball on side away from him, he repeatedly drifted towards the ball like a schoolboy player)

This was true last Saturday against Columbus, with Dichio in, so I'm not sure it's just about Dichio.

I like Vitti's energy and obvious talent, and even his freelancing ability, but it has to be part of the system.

I know this sounds silly, but I think Vitti will get better once things heat up in Toronto (literally warm up) I personally think he's looked cold out there which is making his sitffen up. I can't imagine they get much cold rainy nights during indipendiente games. He is a good player, he might just need to adjust this season hasn't been too warm yet.

ensco
05-07-2009, 09:39 AM
I was very impressed with Cummins' lineup decisions.

Putting Nana and Harmse in was gutsy, I had my stomach in a knot when I heard that, but they rewarded him, and us.

Debuting Nana in a 4-3-3 was especially gutsy. The CBs are under a lot of pressure in that formation.

TFC USA
05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Since when does scoring 1 bloody goal automatically erase all of the bad they've done in some of your minds?

Remember when Cunningham scored in May? Look what happened......

Barrett cannot possibly play at forward anymore. Move him back and make him deliver and not score. He scored on a header 4 days ago and that was a great goal......but I want to see him use his feet to slam that ball like a mofo into the back of the net.

Oldtimer
05-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Since when does scoring 1 bloody goal automatically erase all of the bad they've done in some of your minds?

Barrett cannot possibly play at forward anymore. Move him back and make him deliver and not score. He scored on a header 4 days ago and that was a great goal......but I want to see him use his feet to slam that ball like a mofo into the back of the net.

complain... complain... :rolleyes:

Section225
05-07-2009, 10:15 AM
----you're so shit it's unbelievable!

He shouldn't even be in this league, or the USL or even the OSL

...he's like a handicapped Wayne Rooney.

T-Bird
05-07-2009, 10:22 AM
^^now now play nice kids! He is stiall a part of our team. Construtive criticism is a good thing but there's no need to be cruel! Barrett has a strong first touch that tends to go all over the damn place but he works hard and he almost got another goal last night...

btw? did you forget that we won!

trane
05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
^ I have critizsed him in the past, and still do not believe he is suited to be the front striker, but he has done great when moved more out. He has deserved playing time. He just does not have the strikers touch, although he will get his goals, but more then 10 is hard to see at this point.

Harmse played well because he did not play at CB.

trane
05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
I can't disagree.

Vitti, Dichio and Barrett are a formation he favours. He does not look comfortable in the newer setup.

Agreed.

dupont
This team looks good except for the finishing. I cant believe how many scoring chances turned into nothing.
I used to stick up for Barrett like a lot of others but unless he starts scoring more consistently, I just won't be able to for much longer.
I'm glad we've been getting wins lately but we can't expect a clean sheet every single game. Someone has to step up and start burying these chances.

TFC USA
complain... complain... :rolleyes:

I'm only complaining about Barrett.

I guess I'll cancel my own argument with 2 words:

Carlos. Ruiz. :D

T-Bird
05-07-2009, 10:27 AM
^ I have critizsed him in the past, and still do not believe he is suited to be the front striker, but he has done great when moved more out. He has deserved playing time. He just does not have the strikers touch, although he will get his goals, but more then 10 is hard to see at this point.

Agreed. he should be out wide as a winger

trane
05-07-2009, 10:34 AM
^ Yeah, he has done great work and cotributed greatly in that kind of role. That way he runs, create chances and others can bury them.

TFC RuKKuS RPB
05-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Who thought that what Marco Reda giving the supporters sections the finger was a disgrace to the fans, the teams and the game of football? He should've been cautioned and should be subject to further discipline. What a bum!!!
:scarf::flare::scarf::flare::scarf::flare::scarf:

keem-o-sabi
05-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Barrett = Dirk Kuyt F***ing useless as a striker. He should be put out on the wing on in the 4-3-3, he does alright when he drifts out there, just in front of net he's a bloody nightmare.

ExiledRed
05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Who thought that what Marco Reda giving the supporters sections the finger was a disgrace to the fans, the teams and the game of football? He should've been cautioned and should be subject to further discipline. What a bum!!!
:scarf::flare::scarf::flare::scarf::flare::scarf:

Fans should learn to taste a bit of what they dish out.

Marco's gesture didn't bother me in the slightest, and was no worse than us mocking his injury.

ExiledRed
05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Barrett = Dirk Kuyt F***ing useless as a striker. He should be put out on the wing on in the 4-3-3, he does alright when he drifts out there, just in front of net he's a bloody nightmare.

You aren't actually comparing Dirk Kuyt to Barrett are you?

That's fucking absurd.

H Bomb
05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
It's great that Reda gave us the finger. It shows we were getting to him, and that's the point! But it's all in good fun, I wasn't the slightest bit offended

trane
05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Exiled,

Just in terms of roles, I think.

keem-o-sabi
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Exiled, in terms of absolute awfulness in front of goal as a target striker yes. He works hard, has a little bit of skill.

TFC RuKKuS RPB
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM

Marco's gesture didn't bother me in the slightest, and was no worse than us mocking his injury.

I wasn't offended at all, I just think he should show more class. When Drogba gave the fans the finger, he was disciplined. I just think the players should show better judgment since they are "role models" and represent a city and a club. I thought it was jokes but still...:drum:

torfchamilton
05-07-2009, 11:02 AM
The problem with Vitti I believe is that he needs more service. He was in fact in the right position at many times wide open with no pass. I also do not think it is the combo with Dichio, but more the combo with Dero. Vitti played his best game against KC( i think) b/c DeRo was out of the lineup. DeRo needs the ball a lot and should get it. I think Vitti is a player who needs the ball as well and the less he touches it the more he fades out. The more touches in the game the more he is in the game. I believe it will be difficult for Vitti unless they truly distribute the ball on both sides of the field and get him involved. It will have to happen as we need to have weapons everywhere and not only on the left!!

Oldtimer
05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure why some people are so quick to get rid of Sutton and Ricketts. Sure, we have a cap to contend with, but we need bench strength. Unless we need the cap space to get someone else, it doesn't matter how much they make. Depth is important in MLS, just like in any league. It's not like we have Didier Drogba riding the pine.

Maple Leaf Red
05-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Exiled, in terms of absolute awfulness in front of goal as a target striker yes. He works hard, has a little bit of skill.
Kuyt isn't all that awful in front of net. He's scored some big goals this year but as we know every team has to have a whipping boy.

Barrett works his socks off and creates chances. I'd be more worried if he wasn't creating chances of finding openings. A big part of success as a striker is confidence. Whereas Cunningham would stand with his hands on his hips and mentally abandon the game when he missed a chance Barrett redoubles his effort and ensures that he helps the team out in other areas.

Maple Leaf Red
05-07-2009, 11:52 AM
The problem with Vitti I believe is that he needs more service. He was in fact in the right position at many times wide open with no pass. I also do not think it is the combo with Dichio, but more the combo with Dero. Vitti played his best game against KC( i think) b/c DeRo was out of the lineup. DeRo needs the ball a lot and should get it. I think Vitti is a player who needs the ball as well and the less he touches it the more he fades out. The more touches in the game the more he is in the game. I believe it will be difficult for Vitti unless they truly distribute the ball on both sides of the field and get him involved. It will have to happen as we need to have weapons everywhere and not only on the left!!

That's a good point. The team noticed early on (obviously) that DeRo was skinning his man so the tendency was to keep going to that well. It would have brought Vitti more into the game if they had of pursued things down his flank as well.

Big Bruva
05-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Anything you say will make sense to me mate with that Liverpool crest lolol love my reds.

But yeah i think he is better when he can play off Dichio coz he was invisible the second half and late in the match i think the ball got switched to him and thats when i noticed he was still on (not being sarcastic, i really did not know he was still on)

Big Bruva
05-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Lately he has been playing further out along the wings, and I agree, he has been better there. His crosses are improving - he had a couple of great ones in the first half.

But yeah, those misses in the second half were pretty terrible.

- Scott

The thing about having DeRo play the middle man is that DeRo likes to run at players and see the pitch, if he play the middle man you have to able to shiled the ball, lay it off for ya teammates, make runs on through balls etc well DeRo would prefer to make the runs onto through balls rather than chesting balls down or laying balls off etc

When Danny plays the middle play he is a better target and his game is flicking balls on, chest them down, laying them off, having his back to goal but not really running onto through balls

I think DeRo would be less effective with his back to goal although he would be better than Chad or DD when it comes to slipping a ball through to him to run onto and finishing or making something happen.

Big Bruva
05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I understand that they had to go through DeRo as he was winning almost every one on one on the left wing but, Vitti was wide open on the right for half the game and the ball barely came that way. When it did come to the right it was with a too slow switch across the back. We should have won by 4 but I'll take the 3 points and move on. Another game we owe to Frei.

Ya i know what you mean but at the same time its not always about being fair to each player if you will its about feeding whats working.

In the second half DeRo was confident and felt he could go pat his man whenever he felt like and was basically doing so, in this case you switch it up once in awhile coz he will obviously get tired but you feed him as much as possibly coz he is making something happen (NBA player on fire from the 3 point line)

Big Bruva
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM

He also would much rather play CM than CB, that goes for his girlfriend too lol

Big Bruva
05-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Agree once again lol

These players are human and although they should try and remain professional at all times, different people will react to fans chanting abuse depending on how bad etc (Adrian Serioux) and if the league look back on it and decide to take action thats there business but i wouldn't make any complaints etc just gotta take it sometimes just like they do.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Anyone agree that was the loudest Massive between the eastside and southend!

I looked over to the east and it was carrying over as far as 109....:)

Btw...great job workie at the capo!!! yourself and ZAC had'r going very good!

spark
05-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Yeah I don't think you can knock him too much this game. For much of the first half he was WIDE open on the right side and got zero service. The last few games he's shown he can win one-on-ones so I'm not sure why they didn't give him any chances this game. I know De Ro was doing well, but to use a boxing analogy - you can't just keep punching your opponent in the head, you have to work the body so he drops his hands THEN go back to the head - so spread the ball out and other players will start to open up!

ExiledRed
05-07-2009, 01:19 PM

If Barret was as awful in front of goal as Kuyt, he'd be our top scorer this season.

ensco
05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
If Barret was as awful in front of goal as Kuyt, he'd be our top scorer this season.

Barrett looks nothing like Kuyt. The star player that Barrett sort of resembles out there is Rooney. I'm just talking style - Barrett would need more pace, passing skills, finish and ability to beat people one-on-one....to actually look like Shrek.

I'm thinking of the Barrett we saw occasionally in 2008, not the one we've seen so far this year.

Technorgasm
05-07-2009, 01:42 PM

I had the Exact conversation this morning!

Put Barret out wide. use him for his stregths.

he has a lot to contribute to this team!

:drum:TORONTO FC - FTW! :drum:

Shakes McQueen
05-07-2009, 02:23 PM

Dude, as long as we keep winning, I don't care. 3-0-1 in the last three games isn't cause for much negativity.

Barrett has shown he has a lot to offer the team, and the 4-3-3, when he's playing out wide. His cross when he burned the Vancouver defender, and DeRo tried to spike it in with his hand, was beautiful.

I agree though, he shouldn't be playing a CF. But I have to say, his play along the wings has been the best on the team.

- Scott

napoli73
05-07-2009, 02:42 PM
I think Vitti is more effective with Dichio upfront as he holds up the ball much better and feeds the other two forwards. I think the team looks totally different with Barrett as the lone striker, almost a one dimensional attack with him making runs looking for throughballs....Vitti and Barrett should have switched positions.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Great start disapointing second half, we might lose this tournament on goal difference because we cannot finish our chances...

dantdot
05-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Presented without comment.

B8F4j7nXgT4

GhostPK
05-07-2009, 04:59 PM

Cunningham could score?

On purpose?

MG42
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM

B8F4j7nXgT4

brilliant :lol:

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-07-2009, 05:24 PM
[quote=TFC USA;509591]Since when does scoring 1 bloody goal automatically erase all of the bad they've done in some of your minds?

same goes for DeRo he has not produced here, ok the cross yesterday was great to help for the goal but thats all hes done here, yes im not
a memeber of the deRo fan club and would like (love ) to see him move on somewhere else...i feel towards him as most fans felt about Cunningham

BRed
05-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Dero atleast has some kind of talent and I believe the more chances he gets the more production you will see. He really hasn't had the golden chances that cunnungham and barret fail to score over and over again. They say an interantional level striker will score 1 or 2 goals if you give him 4 chances. Having said that everytime someone says Barret, I say...

ship him out boys..

ExiledRed
05-07-2009, 05:55 PM
same goes for DeRo he has not produced here, ok the cross yesterday was great to help for the goal but thats all hes done here, yes im not
a memeber of the deRo fan club and would like (love ) to see him move on somewhere else...i feel towards him as most fans felt about Cunningham

On top of the play that lead to an own goal in Columbus, he has 1 goal and 1 assist and has missed a few games.

Also, DeRo produced a couple more chances that should have been finished yesterday. Getting rid of DeRo won't make your hero Barrett any better ffs.

You gave Harmse an 8 for his 'Great goal' which was all about Guevara's (6) excellent pass and DeRo's(5.5) cross btw.

I have to say it man, your footy IQ is appalling.

jloome
05-07-2009, 06:01 PM
On top of the play that lead to an own goal in Columbus, he has 1 goal and 1 assist and has missed a few games.

Also, DeRo produced a couple more chances that should have been finished yesterday. Getting rid of DeRo won't make your hero Barrett any better ffs.

You gave Harmse an 8 for his 'Great goal' which was all about Guevara's (6) excellent pass and DeRo's(5.5) cross btw.

I have to say it man, your footy IQ is appalling.

That's nicer than I'd put it. For every missed stepover or pass that doesn't come off, DeRo is our most dangerous goal producer right now, even if it is supplying (which is his job. He's been a midfielder for six years now.)

Waggy
05-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Dero was tying the caps in KNOTS yesterday. I have no idea what sport the guy above is watching, but on NO planet is Harmes even close to Dero. In anything. Except maybe height. And thats prob just because dero was standing in a hole.

Theres more to the game than just putting balls in the net. If you think of it like a factory, thats the finished product. The thing that gets the credit. But the work to complete it is what really counts. If you put in that work, eventually the results will come. Dero is foreman of our factory. I like Barrett for the same reason. Keep getting chances, eventually they'll start going your way. Harmes played a good game, but lets not start sucking each others dicks just yet gentlemen.

ensco
05-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm wondering if that poster is legit, or just someone trying to wind everyone up?

TFC USA
05-07-2009, 08:10 PM
[quote=TFC USA;509591]Since when does scoring 1 bloody goal automatically erase all of the bad they've done in some of your minds?

It's not his fault he's assnailing the Whitecaps and guys like Barrett can't score on a dead hooker. It's not his fault he's providing great service and this team can't finish.

Let me ask you something, since it's obvious you don't want DeRo, who did you really want playing midfielder?

Hustle
05-08-2009, 12:13 AM
KeyBoard Cat....That's Jokes!

Oldtimer
05-08-2009, 07:26 AM
The odd thing was this drunk guy at the back of 114 who was yelling insults at DeRo most of the second half, saying DeRo was lazy, no good, etc. I thought DeRo had a decent game.

Big Bruva
05-08-2009, 11:24 AM
The chance Chad had on his left foot (the last chance in the clip) i never expected him to score coz most wouldn't of.

The other 2 he should of slotted home or at least made the keeper work harder.

DeRo had one or two of those too though.

Big Bruva
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM

Its a good comparison and i understand what you mean.

trane
05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
^ "made the keeper work harder" is the key, sure there will always be misses, alot of great striker do that. Scoring in football is deceptevely hard. But to often he shots it right at the keeper, like he is aiming for him. Maybe he is. Meaning he is trying so hard to avoid the keeper that he is concetrating on him, and shooting right at him. It

Big Bruva
05-08-2009, 02:18 PM
^ "made the keeper work harder" is the key, sure there will always be misses, alot of great striker do that. Scoring in football is deceptevely hard. But to often he shots it right at the keeper, like he is aiming for him. Maybe he is. Meaning he is trying so hard to avoid the keeper that he is concetrating on him, and shooting right at him. It

Thats right.

If you miss you need to make the keeper work to save your shot.

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Thats right.

If you miss you need to make the keeper work to save your shot.

The harder the keeper works, the likelier there is for a follow-up play, maybe on the rebound.

Shoot it right at the keeper's chest and none of that is going to happen.

trane
05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
^ Agreed. Shoot right at the keeper and you are almost guarantee they get possession in you end. You are not likely to even get a corner.

ilikemusic
05-08-2009, 02:35 PM

B8F4j7nXgT4

Blame the turf all you like but in my view that first blown chance was absolutely inexcusable.

Possibly the most pathetic blown opportunity in franchise history.

Great that we won, but that was as dreadful a match as I have ever seen.

Rainy games at BMO are getting close to being simply unwatchable.

trane
05-08-2009, 02:38 PM
^ That is a perfect example of what we are talking about he shot it right at the keeper, if he had taken a better shot the keeper would likely have to punch it and it ends up as a corner or back in a poor position for Vancouver, what happens this way, is they get possission in our end.

Big Bruva
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Blame the turf all you like but in my view that first blown chance was absolutely inexcusable.

Possibly the most pathetic blown opportunity in franchise history.

Great that we won, but that was as dreadful a match as I have ever seen.

Rainy games at BMO are getting close to being simply unwatchable.

lol dont think you saw Cunny last season in this same tourny miss a sure goal on the line.

ilikemusic
05-08-2009, 03:00 PM
lol dont think you saw Cunny last season in this same tourny miss a sure goal on the line.

I was actually like 8 rows up in the south end right behind the net for that chance.

:(

I've kind of pushed all my Cunningham memories out of my head. :drinking:

Just, the patheric way Barrett 'corralled' (which is putting it nicely) that ball, and then got off the weakest shot I have ever seen with what I had thought was his 'good foot', it was so frustrating.

Then he gives the thumbs up like 'thanks for the great ball guys, i'll do better next time'. Argh it was frustrating!

trane
05-08-2009, 03:01 PM
^ That was not the "most pathetic blwon opportunity in franchise history" that was the " most pathetic blown opportunity in any football game ever". My son would have scored from that position.

hopeunited
05-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Is anyone going to be in Vancouver for the June 2 return leg?