PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the Wheels On - Tonight is more than just a game

Pookie
05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Here's why.

Last season we started 4-2-2 with 11 Goals For and 11 Against.

This year we are 3-2-3 with 10 Goals For and 10 Against.

The week that the Nutralite Championships started began the stretch that went 5-11-6 and ended 4 points out of a playoff spot.

I'm not sure if it was not beating perceived inferior USL teams or finally losing at home that sapped the confidence. Whatever the reason, these Championships may have been our TSN turning point last season.

Aside from the fact that a Champions League berth is at stake, these games are very meaningful. Here's hoping for a better result and hopefully one that's done in convincing fashion.

Section225
05-06-2009, 03:19 PM
very interesting point, and well said.

Come on you reds.

Dave67
05-06-2009, 03:28 PM
My memory sucks at the best of times but I thought it was the international call ups that killed us after that point.

Pookie
05-06-2009, 03:51 PM
My memory sucks at the best of times but I thought it was the international call ups that killed us after that point.

They were a factor but many teams also had regulars away for international duty (if memory serves). It was an MLS wide issue.

There was a sense of good fortune to come out of Montreal with a 1-0 win at the end of May last year. We started to really question our finishing ability and called openly for help up front. The team went 1-2-1 before facing Vancouver at home... and losing.

The home defeat came on July 1st to Vancouver and at that point we were undefeated at home. We didn't win another home game until October 18th (vs Chicago) and managed just 5 points out of a possible 21.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Here's why.

Last season we started 4-2-2 with 11 Goals For and 11 Against.

This year we are 3-2-3 with 10 Goals For and 10 Against.

The week that the Nutralite Championships started began the stretch that went 5-11-6 and ended 4 points out of a playoff spot.

I'm not sure if it was not beating perceived inferior USL teams or finally losing at home that sapped the confidence. Whatever the reason, these Championships may have been our TSN turning point last season.

Aside from the fact that a Champions League berth is at stake, these games are very meaningful. Here's hoping for a better result and hopefully one that's done in convincing fashion.

Yup, very good point! I fully agree, this is a very pivotal game, and will set the tone for the next 4 games

TFCmatty
05-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Yup, very good point! I fully agree, this is a very pivotal game, and will set the tone for the next 4 games
+1
we gotta get it done today, anything less then 3 points is unacceptable....lets bring our voices tonight lads this is a MASSIVE match.

COMEEEE ONNN YOUUUUU REDDDSSSSSS
:scarf:

rocker
05-06-2009, 04:12 PM
i wanna see Vancouver destroyed tonight.
I rewatched the torrent of last year's game and Vancouver probably only deserved a tie, not a win. the keeper saved their asses.
then the game in Vancouver -- we fricken DOMINATED much of that game, with Ricketts looking like a star. Flukey breakdown right at the end and they pull out a tie thanks to Sebrango (and Edu playin on defense for some reason).

The luck runs out tonight.

billyfly
05-06-2009, 10:48 PM
We won. Its all we could ask for.

Maple Leaf Red
05-07-2009, 09:29 AM
The best part about last night's game was that the only goal came in the 3rd minute. Hopefully that'll teach people to get to their seats on time.

ensco
05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
It was a lot of things last year that all happened at the same time last year. The Edu melodrama, the international callups, the fact Carver wouldn't put the guys back in when they were back, Robert cooled off, Sutton cooled off, Dichio got hurt.

james
05-07-2009, 11:23 PM
we also got alot of games comming up making it even harder for out boys, jsut hope they dont get to tired!