PDA

View Full Version : Ives: Did TFC drop the ball on Hainault?

DOMIN8R
05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I spoke to a few RPBs about this last night at Shoe's and wondered - maybe this is still an option?

From his rambling Blog.....

Canadian defender Andrew Hainault is off to a good start with the Houston Dynamo, which has to leave Toronto FC fans wondering how TFC didn't snatch up the Canadian Under-23 central defender. I know Toronto has some other defenders in mind for the summer, but with Hainault looking like a pretty good player, you have to wonder whether Toronto missed the boat on that one.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/05/midday-musings-on-the-galaxy-the-red-bulls-wambachs-tackle-and-crew-stadium-shenanigans.html#more

TFCREDNWHITE
05-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Hopefully we pull out the BIG BUCKS for a SICK defender in the summertime!!!!!

I hope we are spending between 3-5 million per year on our DP target this summer...

rocker
05-06-2009, 01:58 PM
strange comment from Ives considering Hainault has played a grand total of 48 minutes.
TFC could turn out to regret not signing him (if indeed Hainault was willing or interested in coming to TFC), but 48 minutes is not enough to make an assessment in that regard.

Pachuco
05-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Didn't Houston have a discovery on Hainault? if so, then we didn't miss the boat. We may have never had the chance to steer the ship period. Who knows if Mo approached Houston about Hainault and Houston said we want Ronaldo for Hainault or your not getting him.

DOMIN8R
05-06-2009, 02:38 PM
^^ that's right, I forgot about that. Maybe Houston needs a keeper. Don't we have an extra keeper sitting an a shelf somewhere?

Cambridge_Red
05-06-2009, 02:39 PM
They weren't ON THE BOAT

sorry couldn't resist. :D

Oldtimer
05-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Pretty marginal player. I think Ives just thinks that we should pick up everyone with a Canadian passport.

wzhxvy
05-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Pretty marginal player. I think Ives just thinks that we should pick up everyone with a Canadian passport.

Ok but we have Harmse...what does that say ?

Chewy Unikronik
05-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Ok but we have Harmse...what does that say ?
Are you forgetting how he got to the team in the first place?

I_AM_CANADIAN
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM
He did decently for Canada in qualifying if I recall correctly... They should have signed him.

Keegan
05-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Hainault marginal player? He was excellent for Canada as a 20/21 year old at the 2007 GC. He has over 10 caps for the senior Canada team. Also played and started for Sparta Prague.

He is going to be one of the best central defenders in MLS.

rocker
05-06-2009, 04:01 PM
whether he's going to be one of the best is not a fact. It's a prediction.
And Ives' comment seems foolish when Hainault has played just 48 minutes (coming on as a sub I believe) in 1 game in this league. People love to hype up players based on limited appearances.... look at the Montero situation. He blasted out immediately and has done little or nothing since.
And Hainault ain't no Freddy Montero in ability.

Ives is projecting way in the future. If he or others want to make that prediction fine, but making it after he's played 48 minutes is premature.

Before one could determine if TFC missed the boat, one would have to know what discovery claims TFC had placed already (we only get 6 per season, remember) and then compare Hainault to the 6 claimed players. For all we know, Mo could have claims on canadian or international defenders who are much better than Hainault. I don't know, but that information is vital, as is knowing the negotiation situation and Hainault's own interest in playing for TFC.

I_AM_CANADIAN
05-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Hainault marginal player? He was excellent for Canada as a 20/21 year old at the 2007 GC. He has over 10 caps for the senior Canada team. Also played and started for Sparta Prague.

He is going to be one of the best central defenders in MLS.
I agree. I'd rather have had him than Serioux to be honest, although Serioux is also good.

Beach_Red
05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Before one could determine if TFC missed the boat, one would have to know what discovery claims TFC had placed already (we only get 6 per season, remember) and then compare Hainault to the 6 claimed players. For all we know, Mo could have claims on canadian or international defenders who are much better than Hainault. I don't know, but that information is vital, as is knowing the negotiation situation and Hainault's own interest in playing for TFC.

You make too much sense for this forum.

What you're trying to provide is context and we don't like that here, we call it excuses ;).

CretanBull
05-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Hopefully we pull out the BIG BUCKS for a SICK defender in the summertime!!!!!

I hope we are spending between 3-5 million per year on our DP target this summer...

I think there's basically no chance that we use our DP spot on a defender.

Beach_Red
05-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I think there's basically no chance that we use our DP spot on a defender.

The way we're scoring goals, I hope not.