PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Start In Goal For TFC vs. Vancouver Tonight?

Redcoe15
05-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Frei is hot, but maybe we put Sutton in to give Frei a rest. Its an interesting question that has been bantied about.

a.ungaro
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Frei.

rocker
05-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Frei.

as of today he's only played 1 game in 9 days. He won't be tired. he's better than sutton.

a.ungaro
05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
way better.

olegunnar
05-06-2009, 09:10 AM
The MLS season is 30 games
This Cup Comp is 4

I don't understand why people are acting as if these are exhibition games. Lets rest Frei against LAG or SJ or NYRB.
Why we'd play a 2nd rate keeper (or any 2nd rate players) in an important game like this is beyond me.

Lucky Strike
05-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Definitely Frei. He's the hot hand and the proven #1. Though rotation is important, it's not as much so with goalkeepers.

RedsYNWA
05-06-2009, 09:22 AM
This Cup Comp is 4

I don't understand why people are acting as if these are exhibition games. Lets rest Frei against LAG or SJ or NYRB.
Why we'd play a 2nd rate keeper (or any 2nd rate players) in an important game like this is beyond me.

AMEN

SQUIRREL
05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Frei....This game is important. I won't be happy unless we win. I know people don't respect this tourny because we play Vancouver and Montreal (both teams we have very little respect for) but regardless if we respect them there in the way of us playing in the Champions Leauge which to me will be the real accomplishment. To me there is nothing bigger than the Champions League. Play your starting XI and win this garbage tourny

Pachuco
05-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Frei hands down. No questions asked.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Frei is our No 1 keeper for the season...keep him in....Sutton can get games for Canada at the gold cup

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-06-2009, 09:35 AM
This Cup Comp is 4

its not a exhibtion as sorts but its a 3 team tournament for a national championship...its hard to take a 3 team tournament serious at times
even though winning it does have a lot more to offer...we need cities
like Edmonton.Calgary, Winnipeg, London, Ottawa,Quebec City to get
franchise in the usl or MLS to make the competition more serious

T.Reis
05-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I would pick Frei.

I'm all for giving certain guys a rest during this stretch of games the next 2 weeks, but the keeper should be OK to go.

I will admit that Sutton being Canadian would be nice, atleast for him, but TFC want competition among all positions for a reason, and who ever is playing better has to play.

mclaren
05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm an advocate of playing your best team and Frei is our best goalkeeper so Frei for me.

T0R0NT0 FC
05-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Frei. :hump:

Northern Soul
05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Frei. Goalkeepers generally don't need 'rest'. He's our best option.

sulfur
05-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Edwards!

:)

denime
05-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Coach must have a good reason to start Sutton tonight,and that's why I don't care who is a goalie.All I want is 3 points.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-06-2009, 09:52 AM
FRIE for sure....but the kid needs a break at some point!

I have all the convidence in the world for sutt's to preform well vs Couver!

no worries here!

BuSaPuNk
05-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Frei has to start. We need the best starting 11 for this game and Frei is playing fantastic. Give him the start and field the best team. The opurtinity of CL play is more important than one leauge game.

T.Reis
05-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Edwards!

:)

LOL, there's always got to be one person!!!!

MrHawk
05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I think Sutton should start, to give Frei possibly a bit of a breather.

He has 5 games this month, all vs fairly stiff competition.

sully
05-06-2009, 10:17 AM

We should play our best team and that means playing Frei. If Frie needs a rest then rest him for the DC match. Dropping points against DC would be bad but not as bad as losing against Vancouver...so we need our top players.

FluSH
05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Frei is the real deal...

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Sutton. Frei is hot but I don't think sitting this one out will shake him. Sutton is no slouch BTW.

MrHawk
05-06-2009, 10:20 AM
We should play our best team and that means playing Frei. If Frie needs a rest then rest him for the DC match. Dropping points against DC would be bad but not as bad as losing against Vancouver...so we need our top players.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090505&content_id=248662&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Looks like you are right, they will field the strongest team.

Technorgasm
05-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Frei maybe hotter and younger. . and in some instances better. . .

but loyalty runs deep for me, and I think Greggy is 100% capable of getting the job done.

THERE'S ONLY ONE!
HES NUMBER ONE!
LIKE ME AND YOU
HE HATES THE WHITECAPS TOO!

Pronto
05-06-2009, 10:37 AM

you really don't understand how important the 4 games are in the NCC. I'll just put it this way for you. It's all about money. Montreal last season had 50,000 fans in one game in the winter. Do the math 50,000*$20(On the avg.) what do you get? As far as I know MLS has nothing to do with NCC and CCL so money that you make goes to the club only.
I personally think the NCC and CCL are the only important games all year the MLS playoffs are a joke...

MrHawk
05-06-2009, 10:42 AM
I realize how important they are to the club in terms of money.

I think the point I wanted to get across was that Frei will need a breather. Perhaps he'll sit vs DC this Saturday?

But as I posted above, Cummins will field the strongest team and this is good for us.

Bloor West FC
05-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Sutton! He has prepared for this competition. He is still an amazing goalie and will do well. In Sutton we trust!!!!

olegunnar
05-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Why are all the RPB such softies?

So what if Harmse and Sutton are Canadian
So what if Sutton got marooned on the bench by a young kid

Montreal won this cup last year
Vancouver came into BMO and beat us.

Last year was an embarassment. Adam Braz prancing around with the cup on our field.

Fuck that shit. It's time to show them we're big time their small time and teach them a lesson.

Beating the crap out of these wannabe MLS teams should be priority #1.

Not the feelings of our benchwarmers.

scooter
05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
frei

he is a kid and could play everyday

nothing against sutton or edwards

frei is hot and we need to win

last year was shite but i think we were missing some players on international duty
that wont be the case this year so no excuses
no more mediocrity WIN ALL 4 GAMES

Markham_RPB
05-06-2009, 11:04 AM
frei

he is a kid and could play everyday

nothing against sutton or edwards

frei is hot and we need to win

last year was shite but i think we were missing some players on international duty
that wont be the case this year so no excuses
no more mediocrity WIN ALL 4 GAMES

I agree Scooter !

Frei starts , and should start if Cummins is infact putting our " BEST XI " out there on the pitch tonight !

scooter
05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I agree Scooter !

Frei starts , and should start if Cummins is infact putting our " BEST XI " out there on the pitch tonight !

oh i am sure they will -- the boys know this is canadian pride on the line

when we lose against dallas its a piss off

when we lose to a canadian team supposedly in a lower league it is not only a pisser it is totally embarassing and i dont want to feel that way again EVER

so come on you reds:canada:

Steve
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Partial repost about this very question, to go very against the rest of the posts here:

The main reason I want Sutton in is because of the way I think we need to play, and the way Vancouver will play. USL teams tend to lack the creative flair to attack through the middle effectively. Since we will also be clogging the mid with defensive midfielders, I don't see their attack really getting through that much. Which leaves us with attack down the flanks. I think this will be their bread and butter, a winger will run down, beat Brennan (who, let's be honest, hasn't been stellar of late) or Wynne (who might be out of place from an attack) and try to get a Cross in. Rinse, repeat.

Now, if I could be critical of one aspect of Frei's game, it would be commanding his box. He can come out when he shouldn't, and stay in when he should (relying on his phenomenal shot stopping). Added to this, he just doesn't have the height that Sutton does. Don't get me wrong, I think it's just a rookie thing (reading crosses correctly), but I would give the edge to Sutton on this one (When Sutton is in, he comes out for a lot more crosses, and he comes away with them). The other thing to consider is distribution. For this, I would rather play a build from the back game (rather than a long ball up the field game) since we should be able to edge them out in ball control through the midfield. Because of this, Frei's distribution won't have the same impact it would on other games.

lips
05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Frei :scarf:

yellowfellow
05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Does it matter? They are both good goalies.

Oldtimer
05-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Partial repost about this very question, to go very against the rest of the posts here:

The main reason I want Sutton in is because of the way I think we need to play, and the way Vancouver will play. USL teams tend to lack the creative flair to attack through the middle effectively. Since we will also be clogging the mid with defensive midfielders, I don't see their attack really getting through that much. Which leaves us with attack down the flanks. I think this will be their bread and butter, a winger will run down, beat Brennan (who, let's be honest, hasn't been stellar of late) or Wynne (who might be out of place from an attack) and try to get a Cross in. Rinse, repeat.

Now, if I could be critical of one aspect of Frei's game, it would be commanding his box. He can come out when he shouldn't, and stay in when he should (relying on his phenomenal shot stopping). Added to this, he just doesn't have the height that Sutton does. Don't get me wrong, I think it's just a rookie thing (reading crosses correctly), but I would give the edge to Sutton on this one (When Sutton is in, he comes out for a lot more crosses, and he comes away with them). The other thing to consider is distribution. For this, I would rather play a build from the back game (rather than a long ball up the field game) since we should be able to edge them out in ball control through the midfield. Because of this, Frei's distribution won't have the same impact it would on other games.

+1

It's more complex a decision than who over-all is the better in net.
Frei has proved he's our best GK. Sutton's style, however, will do better against Vancouver and Montreal.

MrHawk
05-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Either goalie is capable in my eyes to start in the net.

As long as we get the 3 points that that we cannot afford to give up. You can just picture it now.

If either goalie starts and wins or looses, Cummins will be either a genius coach or a coach who made a bad move.

Markham_RPB
05-06-2009, 12:02 PM
+1

It's more complex a decision than who over-all is the better in net.
Frei has proved he's our best GK. Sutton's style, however, will do better against Vancouver and Montreal.

LOL
What a surprise !
With a board name like that , of course you would want Sutton in net !

:drinking:

Its a win-win situation but Frei is the overall better goalie !

tim90
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
frei

Toronto Ruffrider
05-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I'd go with Frei because he tends to be a more consistent 'keeper. Sutton makes some spectacular saves, but then lets in the odd stinker. I'm also not a fan of the lack of communication between Sutton and his defenders. We can't afford any miscues at the back, as one goal may be enough to cost Toronto some valuable home points.

It would be great to play a Canadian goalkeeper in a V Cup game, but there's too much at stake tonight. Just as Montreal wouldn't hesitate to play a non-Canadian goalie (Matt Jordan) for a V Cup or Champions League game, we need to play our up-and-coming non-Canadian equivalent.

InTheCrowd
05-06-2009, 05:13 PM
First of all we know Frei is the better keeper.

Second of all, give Frei a rest? A rest from what? It doesn't take that much physical ability to be a keeper?

Also why play Sutton when Frei's available? I want the best result possible and the chances of Frei getting injured are so slim.

rocker
05-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Frei saved our bacon tonight. That's the third high quality, goal-saving save he's made in 2 weeks.

ExiledRed
05-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Sutton starts after we get nine points.

Cashcleaner
05-07-2009, 12:16 AM
I picked Frei for starting in goal tonight.

Of course, I am participating in the poll after watching the game, so I may be biased. :p

Seriously though, this guy is one of the top keepers in MLS. Sure, the rest of the team made things pretty easy for him, but he still showed great hustle out there on the pitch tonight. That one shot from outside and right was heading for the back of the net if his fingers didn't get there first.

colman1860
05-07-2009, 02:07 AM
What's with people talking about Frei's bad control of his box? This is one of his strongest skills!