PDA

View Full Version : WSJ - Why we stand during soccer

Wagner
05-06-2009, 06:06 AM
From the May 5th WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124147578109184945.html

In the U.S., go to almost any professional sporting event and look in the stands -- just about everyone sits. But at soccer matches throughout the world, many fans prefer to stand.
The tradition of standing is so entrenched that games like Tuesday's UEFA Champions League semifinal at London's Emirates stadium often elicit battles between ticket-holders who want to stay on their feet and security guards who want them to relax a little.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124147578109184945.html

Derko
05-06-2009, 06:29 AM
It may go back to the early days of no seats in the "STANDS", when regular working class fans would stand on terraces and seats were for the folks with money.

Cheers

Canadian Blue
05-06-2009, 07:07 AM
It may go back to the early days of no seats in the "STANDS", when regular working class fans would stand on terraces and seats were for the folks with money.

Cheers

Exactly........games back then would have been mental.....when they put seats in many stadiums had there capacity chopped in half.

Toronto Gunner
05-06-2009, 07:16 AM
From BBC Gossip:

Fans in Scotland are to petition the Scottish Parliament for the reintroduction of terracing at Scottish Premier League grounds.
(Full story: Daily Record) (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2009/05/05/football-fans-call-for-return-to-standing-areas-at-spl-grounds-86908-21334143/)

Could we be seeing the return of terraces?

ensco
05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Two other points:

1) American football, baseball, hockey, the games take 40-50% longer to play.
2) Those sports don't have the same fan participation tradition (singing etc) - where you do see that (ie certain US college basketball teams), then you get the fans standing

Texas A&M football is an interesting exception, by the way. 82,000 people go to every game, they all stand for the entire game, even (perhaps especially) the 90 year old alums. It's an old triple-decker stadium. Never been there, only seen it on TV, it looks unbelievable.

InTheCrowd
05-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Great article, cheers for the link!

Steve
05-06-2009, 07:40 AM
From BBC Gossip:

I think Germany holding firm might lead the way back for some countries. The problem was never the danger of standing room only, it was the danger of poorly planned, and poorly managed, standing sections. If you plan the section correctly (as many German stadiums have) you lessen the danger of the section (for example, just putting in some staggered horizontal bars to prevent an avalanche). Additionally, they would need to strictly control how many people are allowed in the section. At that point, standing room sections could be safer than fans standing in sections with seats.

I know it's unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see BMO renovate the south end (when they're expanding) to a more German inspired terrace. Don't sell individual tickets to the terrace (only season's tickets) and you could double the capacity of the south. That would also help gather people who want to stand into a single section, and by just ensuring the supporters get to the stadium early enough, you could prevent large sections of uncooperative people in the middle of the supporters.

TFCmatty
05-06-2009, 07:53 AM
great read indeed, thanks for posting that.
:scarf:

Shakes McQueen
05-06-2009, 07:56 AM
I'd welcome terraces over the crummy seats BMO has now.

- Scott

shaggingscot
05-06-2009, 08:28 AM
From BBC Gossip:

and then shortly following that the return of supporters pishing where they stand? Maybe also a return to lifting the kids over the turnstile and them getting in for nothing too? that would be good.

It would have to be like Germany, where the seats fold up so that the venue could be used for other things as well.

I don't think you'll ever seen the return of grounds where the terraces take up most of the ground, as they did in my formative years. You could however see grounds with terracing behind both goals and seating on the sides for the older supporters, companies etc.

Parkdale
05-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Texas A&M football is an interesting exception, by the way. 82,000 people go to every game, they all stand for the entire game, even (perhaps especially) the 90 year old alums. It's an old triple-decker stadium. Never been there, only seen it on TV, it looks unbelievable.

good point.

Way too often (especially around here), people will lump all North American sports into one category. Yes the major league sports like Baseball and Hockey are pretty tame experiences in the stands, but when you get into the College or even highschool level of sporting events, things get wild!

It bothers me when people make statements like "all sporting experiences are boring compared to soccer games" when people don't actually know what some sporting events are like. Maybe the big leagues are boring, but can you imagine being at an NCAA game in the Final 4?

http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2009/04/05/08/112-FF178_NCAA_Final_Four_Michi.standalone.prod_affili ate.79.jpg

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20090406&Category=SPORTS0204&ArtNo=904060363&Ref=AR

BuSaPuNk
05-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I would love a Germany style seating arrangement at BMO. It would stop this per second bickering and fighting between supporters and fans. As long as it is done correctly and the numbers and strickly watched going into the terraces I don't see why this couldn't happen.

Have to love the "Who eats all the pies" at the end.....where is colin?

C.Ronaldo
05-06-2009, 08:52 AM
My seats fold up

just use those

p.s

some lucky F'er at PCL actually traveled to the world cup in Germany to see the seats.
And this is what they came up with.

God I hate corporate perks (mostly cuz i dont get them)

Hitcho
05-06-2009, 09:53 AM
No way will terracing ever come back to England after the Hillsborough tragedy.

I don't think we need it here either. i stand all game, as do most people in the south end, the seats don't cause me any problems at all. You have to give people the option though.

BBBulldog
05-07-2009, 03:43 PM
We've been pressing DC for a modern terrace for Barra in new stadium (sci-fi one), owners did a tour of german stadiums last year and that was one of things they were looking at.

TorontoBlades
05-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Hillsboro anyone? I will never forget....

tfcgk
05-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Parkdale I have been to a couple final fours (both for UNC Wins!) the 1st one we stood in the Carolina Alum section and EVERYONE of all ages were standing going crazy. This year at Ford Field the only ones standing were the ones on the floor seats which were designated student sections from all schools. We were atop for this year and most ppl were sitting but when MSU played Ford Field was just rocking.

Point is I agree with Parkdale on other experiences being nearly as good as Soccer. Might factor in a Michigan Football game with 109 000 people and 30000+ student section going ape shit on any big play.

Mojo
05-08-2009, 01:08 AM
The seats are good for resting the knees at halftime :>

C.Ronaldo
05-08-2009, 08:25 AM
maybe you can distribute this to the rest of the stadium