PDA

View Full Version : The Soccer Show on Fan590 - May 7

VPjr
05-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey Folks...

Just spoke to Nigel Reed and he was very excited to let me know that TFC's interim coach Chris Cummins will be in studio for 1 hour, taking calls and emails from fans

This week's show willbe starting 1 hour earlier than normal (8-9pm, rather than the normal 9-10pm because the Jays are on the west coast).

Be sure to flood the board with calls and flood Nigel's inbox with emails.

Phone: 416-870-0590

Cell: *590

email: Nigel@fan590.com

Should be a good show. I'm impressed that Cummins has accepted the offer. He seems quite comfortable with doing the media stuff.

Brooker
05-05-2009, 05:00 PM
thanks for the heads up. this is tonight i'm assuming?

Laurignano
05-05-2009, 05:03 PM
I think its May 7th. Anyways I think this calling session can go really well, assuming the team wins on weds night. I would hate to be sitting in that studio for 1 hour taking calls after losing a Canada Cup Game.

VPjr
05-06-2009, 12:28 PM
^ Yeah, if the team doesn't win tonight, it could get ugly in studio. The team looked very lacklustre on Saturday and can't be that poor tonight or else Whitecaps might escape with a win again. I personally can't handle that.

And, yes, the show happens on THURSDAY night...not tonight.

JDG
05-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Damn! I'm going to miss this.Will it be archived?

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Every Thursday night and archived for Friday morning.

Oldtimer
05-06-2009, 12:44 PM
^ Yeah, if the team doesn't win tonight, it could get ugly in studio. The team looked very lacklustre on Saturday and can't be that poor tonight or else Whitecaps might escape with a win again. I personally can't handle that.

It's actually quite daring of Cummins. Maybe he feels quite sure that TFC will win, and the calls will be congratulatory. :scarf:

Blizzard
05-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Only a victory is acceptable. May the field run red with the blood of ...
... sorry, lost it a bit there!

We must win. It's as simple as that.

VPjr
05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Only a victory is acceptable. May the field run red with the blood of ...
... sorry, lost it a bit there!

We must win. It's as simple as that.

I get the feeling that Cummins will be enjoying himself on the radio tonight. Alot of happy fans will be flooding the lines I'm sure.

I hope to get through. I'm going to ask him about how the team still seems to have tremendous trouble building offensive momentum from the center of midfield unless Guevara tracks way back to get the ball.

dantdot
05-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Shows up.
http://fan590.com/onair/soccer/media.jsp?content=20090507_221817_9328

VPjr
05-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Shows up.
http://fan590.com/onair/soccer/media.jsp?content=20090507_221817_9328

So, who has listened to the podcast? I'm curious for people's thoughts on cummins' comments.

I know he has to be politically correct but I was hoping for a little more candour when asked about barrett's scoring troubles. Why can't the team just admit the guy is not a goal scorer. He does lots of nice things but scoring goals is not one of them.

he was also really high on Nana's performance. Maybe we'll see more of Nana soon?

spezz44
05-08-2009, 08:36 PM
listening now will post when its done, stupid friday night at work...grrrrr haa

spezz44
05-08-2009, 09:11 PM
After listening to teh program some things come clear to me,

- first, Chris Cummins is a very confident person, he knows the club and the personel very well.
- second, i also think that he really liked the way nana played and i would like to see him play more often.
- third, i like how he stood up for chad barrett he knows that he isnt finnishing, and by saying he will worry when the chances stop, i think is very telling we are going to keep seeing barret.

JDG
05-08-2009, 09:22 PM
After listening to teh program some things come clear to me,

- first, Chris Cummins is a very confident person, he knows the club and the personel very well.
- second, i also think that he really liked the way nana played and i would like to see him play more often.
- third, i like how he stood up for chad barrett he knows that he isnt finnishing, and by saying he will worry when the chances stop, i think is very telling we are going to keep seeing barret.

We signed Barrett to a 4 year deal. Cummins' comments are an echo of Carver's comments, and I'm sure they've been uttered by Mo as well. It's the "Party" line.
I was outside Gate 4 after the Columbus game, and hear Cummins tell Nana's Mother that she shouldn't worry about Nana's lack of minutes. He said Nana would definately be getting his chances soon.

spezz44
05-08-2009, 09:28 PM
We signed Barrett to a 4 year deal. Cummins' comments are an echo of Carver's comments, and I'm sure they've been uttered by Mo as well. It's the "Party" line.
I was outside Gate 4 after the Columbus game, and hear Cummins tell Nana's Mother that she shouldn't worry about Nana's lack of minutes. He said Nana would definately be getting his chances soon.

fair enough...i am not a barrett lover, but if he can ever start converting he would be a very dangerous player.

VPjr
05-09-2009, 08:25 AM
^ I'd like to believe you because his athletic ability and excellent work rate means he will likely continue getting plenty of good chance. However, its not like he's a 17 year old kid....Barrett is in his mid-20s. If he's not converting on the chances he's getting now, I really believe he never will.

Jason DeVos had a very fair assessment of Chad Barrett yesterday on the CBC Soccer + podcast (the archive is not posted yet but I'll link to it when it is up). Basically (I'm paraphrasing) DeVos said that Chad simply isn't a clinical striker. He does lots of things well and some areas of his game continue to improve but he simply doesn't take his chances well enough and never has. Barrett will get a decent number of goals each year (6-8 is my prediction) because he works so hard and tirelessly that he puts himself in a position to convert on unmissable chances. However, for every goal he does score, he's blowing 4-5 VERY good scoring chances.

At some point, he's going to need to be redeployed, maybe out wide on the right. He showed me some promising flashes out wide in the last few games when the team played 4-3-3.