PDA

View Full Version : "Going to the FC?"

Fort York Redcoat
05-05-2009, 11:42 AM
We've all been asked this by NA sports fans. Imagine my confusion when it was my new co-worker just from Hull. Granted he was a rugby man first until City got promoted. He said it was common practice to call the them F.C. because both teams were from Hull. (He was for City and Tigers)

This doesn't change what I'll call my club but any other Brits out there come across this?

trane
05-05-2009, 11:49 AM
He should be deported for such an infraction.

Parkdale
05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I always hear from my boss "so, how did the FC do on the weekend?"

you know what? It's not his fault. He listens to a lot of sports radio, and if the Dj's are calling it 'The FC' then your average man-about-town will probably call it that too.

TFC07
05-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I knew something like this would happen when MLSE announce they were going to call it Toronto FC. They should have just stick with International Toronto which is an excellent name to describe GTA.

Fort York Redcoat
05-05-2009, 12:03 PM
He should be deported for such an infraction.

Notice "confusion" and not "copious amounts of rage".

and I didn't know you were British.;)

Fort York Redcoat
05-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I knew something like this would happen when MLSE announce they were going to call it Toronto FC. They should just stick with International Toronto which is an excellent name to describe GTA.

I think that was trane's vote as well.;)

Sorry, T. Couldn't resist.

Parkdale
05-05-2009, 12:07 PM
They should have just stick with International Toronto which is an excellent name to describe GTA.

blasphemy.

Fort York Redcoat
05-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Could we shorten it to Inter Toto?:D

Don Julio
05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
That's it, I can't take the moaning about this anymore. The team will now be referred to as "The Efcees" by me.

JDG
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
That's it, I can't take the moaning about this anymore. The team will now be referred to as "The Efcees" by me.

Well in that case, I'm forever more going to refer to you as Chico.:)

FluSH
05-05-2009, 12:20 PM
CBC's next in-game poll:

Do you know what FC stands for in Toronto FC?

TorontoBlades
05-05-2009, 12:22 PM
slow day at work people?

It's called TFC...in Toronto, it's also called the FC because it's the only football club in town that uses FC. End of story!

Example - in Man City supporters call their team City as a nickname and in Manchester...but in general conversation they are referred to Man City, Manchester City, etc. You guys need to stop being so damn naive. In Sheffield I call my club United, let me try that on this board...

KrazyKanadian
05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Ahem...Argonauts..

http://www.argonautsfc.co.uk/

Haha, I kid.

rocker
05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Ahem...Argonauts..

http://www.argonautsfc.co.uk/

Haha, I kid.

hahah.. geez, now everytime someone says "Argos" I'm gonna wonder if they are talking about the CFL team or the British footy team!

Stugatzo
05-05-2009, 12:30 PM
slow day at work people?

It's called TFC...in Toronto, it's also called the FC because it's the only football club in town that uses FC. End of story!

Example - in Man City supporters call their team City as a nickname and in Manchester...but in general conversation they are referred to Man City, Manchester City, etc. You guys need to stop being so damn naive. In Sheffield I call my club United, let me try that on this board...

And we Wolves supporters call your team SHIT!
:hump:

Don Julio
05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Well in that case, I'm forever more going to refer to you as Chico.:)

Ok, then, but somewhere on my imaginary fan site message board there will be outrage!

Parkdale
05-05-2009, 12:36 PM

don't make us ban you!

:cool:

JDG
05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Ok, then, but somewhere on my imaginary fan site message board there will be outrage!

Your fans would be entitled :flare:

Fort York Redcoat
05-05-2009, 12:56 PM
slow day at work people?

Firstly, nunyerbusiness.

Me guys aren't being naive. Me guys haven't heard anyone talking to Alan Green to say "Yes Alan, I'm from Sheffield and support the oldest football club, The F.C."

You'll find only honest questions here TB. No outrage.:)

Carefree
05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
don't make us ban you!

:cool:
Oh come on, that was funny... :)

harryhotspur
05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I think the confusion comes from the way North American clubs are named, aka:
Kansas City Wizards - 'the Wizards'
Toronto Maple Leafs - 'the Leafs'
Columbus Crew - 'the Crew'

Therefore the uninitiated might think Toronto FC becomes 'the FC'.

Yohan
05-05-2009, 02:11 PM
So, FC Dallas? Real Salt Lake? :p

harryhotspur
05-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Maybe I should have listed all the teams from the NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB? I'm just saying that the majority of teams in North America are named in a certain way, which may cause some people to interpret the name differently than those of us who are fans of British clubs

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
im going to the Football Club game tomorrow! :)

TorontoBlades
05-05-2009, 04:14 PM

ur kits look like vomit m8 :hump:

TicTacTabarnack
05-05-2009, 04:20 PM

Ugh ... During the KC game the guy behind me was cheering "Go FC Go!" and "Come on FC!" It just makes me cringe.

Wighty
05-05-2009, 04:28 PM
I've heard FCUM supporters refer to the team as 'FC'.

Cambridge_Red
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM

:D Yes we do!

Mojo
05-05-2009, 04:40 PM
CBC's next in-game poll:

Do you know what FC stands for in Toronto FC?

Don't you mean.... THE FOOTY FAN POLL?!

scooter
05-05-2009, 04:43 PM
We've all been asked this by NA sports fans. Imagine my confusion when it was my new co-worker just from Hull. Granted he was a rugby man first until City got promoted. He said it was common practice to call the them F.C. because both teams were from Hull. (He was for City and Tigers)

This doesn't change what I'll call my club but any other Brits out there come across this?

my dad played rugby for galasheils and i was a ball boy for the club

GALASHEILS RUGBY FOOTBALL CLUB

soccer club was totally different

GALA FAIRYDEAN FC

fyi

MFBODD
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Maybe I should have listed all the teams from the NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB? I'm just saying that the majority of teams in North America are named in a certain way, which may cause some people to interpret the name differently than those of us who are fans of British clubs

You are corrct and that is why people are now saying "The FC". We've adopted 'Reds' in the style of other clubs around the world, but the majority say 'F.C'. The 'F.C.' is always stressed by the club, league, etc., so it seems a majority use that in place of a nickname. I find it odd, but I'm okay with it now...Still, I won't start saying 'Toronto Maple Leafs H.C.'

joel
05-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Get. Over. It.

cy43
05-05-2009, 05:37 PM
whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo caaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrreeeeeessssssssssssssss??

Don't throw flares!

MartinUtd
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Do any of you sticklers ever say "the US" instead of "the USA" or "GM" instead of "GMC" etc..? Because that whole incomplete name argument has worn thin.

Canadian Blue
05-06-2009, 07:05 AM
They should have just stick with International Toronto which is an excellent name to describe GTA.

I am glad they did not go with this name, if they did I would not have bought season tickets for sure.

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2009, 07:12 AM
I've heard FCUM supporters refer to the team as 'FC'.

my dad played rugby for galasheils and i was a ball boy for the club

GALASHEILS RUGBY FOOTBALL CLUB

soccer club was totally different

GALA FAIRYDEAN FC

fyi

Thanks for the serious input guys.

Toronto Gunner
05-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFC07 http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=506660#post506660)

I am glad they did not go with this name, if they did I would not have bought season tickets for sure.

I might have to agree...

But really guys, who cares if somebody says the FC? Until we get another footie team, the FC just means the Football Club, which is relevant, being that there is only one team to which they are referring. Yes, I'm going to the Football Club game. Shouldn't we just be happy that non-supporters actually know this team exists, and further to that point, are aware of where we are in the standings and when our next game is?

It's condescending and a little jack-assy to correct non-supporters when they say 'the FC', especially when you know what they mean; just be happy that somebody at work is talking to you about your club.

PS - we're gonna kick some booty tonight!! :scarf:

cuecas_red
05-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Do any of you sticklers ever say "the US" instead of "the USA" or "GM" instead of "GMC" etc..? Because that whole incomplete name argument has worn thin.
Don't forget about the people who say "BC" instead of "CBC" or "BC" instead of "ABC"

I'm sure glad that Toronto Lynx are a soccer club and not a football club or else there could have been so much more confusion.

To me saying FC sounds odd, but that is from growing up watching soccer, but I see how people who haven't really followed the sport before would say The FC.

elvis
05-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Oh Jesus, you just said "soccer."

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Association football is another thread.:)

trane
05-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Notice "confusion" and not "copious amounts of rage".

and I didn't know you were British.;)

I can only express two emotions on these board, rage or happiness, there is no room for other emotions/reactions. ;)

C.Ronaldo
05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
lets start new team........hmm in vaugn or in the tri city

lets call them inter GTA

pubboy
05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
slow day at work people?

Right, but it's Man City FC and Sheffield United FC. Nobody refers to the FC part apart from the initials (TFC, CCFC for example), and it sounds retarded when people call us 'The FC'. Just my opinion...
:scarf:

Carefree
05-06-2009, 11:33 AM
How do the Liverpool-based media refer to Liverpool FC? Everybody else just calls them Liverpool or The Reds, but I would guess that a Liverpool-based TV station or newspaper can't really do that.

(I'm being serious here so please, no joke answer, no matter how tempting it may be ;) )

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
How do the Liverpool-based media refer to Liverpool FC? Everybody else just calls them Liverpool or The Reds, but I would guess that a Liverpool-based TV station or newspaper can't really do that.

(I'm being serious here so please, no joke answer, no matter how tempting it may be ;) )

They call them Liverpool Football Club. Not many would be confused that they were talking about any other team or the city itself.

But please don't make me speak of such teams.

Jeffro
05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Steven Gerrard usually calls Liverpool "the FC"

I have no problem with it, it's kind of like you disregard all other football clubs, and to you there is only one FC....

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2009, 12:23 PM

I have no problem with it, it's kind of like you disregard all other football clubs, and to you there is only one FC....

A real live example! Thanks Jeffro!

pubboy
05-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Are you sure ??? You sure it's not "LFC" he's saying ? ;)

Jeffro
05-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Are you sure ??? You sure it's not "LFC" he's saying ? ;)

Yes, I'm positive :drinking:

trane
05-06-2009, 01:11 PM
They call them Liverpool Football Club. Not many would be confused that they were talking about any other team or the city itself.

But please don't make me speak of such teams.

There is only one FC for the people in Liverpool and it is EFC.

JonO
05-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't get it... Liverpool starts with an "L"... typically trane typo I guess :p

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Yes, yes and those who don't consider themselves "the peoples" are red. Please, enough about Merseyside...:topic:

trane
05-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't get it... Liverpool starts with an "L"... typically trane typo I guess :p

Usualy you would be right, but not this time. I am the king of typos. ;)

e-karam
05-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I knew something like this would happen when MLSE announce they were going to call it Toronto FC. They should have just stick with International Toronto which is an excellent name to describe GTA.

Never, we have enough things that celebrate being ethnicaly diverse in this city. The emphasis should be on Toronto.

Ontario Arab
05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
How about THE FC ,like the one and only..???