PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , May.05

denime
05-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Mornin'

TFC 'Lite
Ryan Johnston

The inaugural Nutrilite Canadian Championship was a disaster for Toronto FC.
On Wednesday that elephant in the locker room can be evicted when Toronto and Vancouver raise the curtain on the second-annual all-Canadian Cup.
But will Jumbo go without incident?
It has been tacitly agreed upon that the team must win the all-Canadian tournament in 2009. The schedule has been adjusted accordingly (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/04/29/johnston_playoffs_or_pride/) and when asked, every player is quick to reiterate. Nobody wants another year of standing in the shadow.

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/05/04/johnston_tfc_wed_preview/)

CSA raises levies, anger :flare:
PETER MALLETT

It may just be a drop in its collection bucket but plans by the Canadian Soccer Association to increase youth soccer player registration levies by one dollar to fund national programs are being met with resistance by youth and professional soccer club officials.
The increase comes after Canada's governing body of soccer held its annual general meeting in Banff, Alberta, over the weekend, with membership voting to increase player levies for Canada's 865,000 youth and senior players from $8 to $9 in 2010.

Read More (http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090505.wsptcsa4/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Toronto's home-field advantage proving to be a myth
By Steve Davis

Sweeping up after the MLS weekend party, here are 10 things I found lying around:
1. A little research goes a long way: Here's a note for bloggers, journalists, TV announcers or fans bent on dropping little nuggets of knowledge at soccer-friendly happy hours. It sounds very dramatic and all to repeat this clichéd ditty about "fortress" BMO Field and how it's such a bugger of place to play, etc.

Read More (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=643322&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901)

TFC to use 'best team' against Whitecaps
By STEVE BUFFERY (steve.buffery@sunmedia.ca)

Vancouver has mountains, the ocean, the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, an NHL franchise still in the playoffs, a soccer team owned by a big-time celebrity and a lot of people who eat tofu.
No wonder Toronto FC really, really wants to defeat that city's soccer team -- the Vancouver Whitecaps -- tomorrow at BMO Field in the opening game of the Nutrilite Canadian championship.
"This is a massive tournament for us," Toronto midfielder Carl Robinson said. "We have to put a few wrongs, right. We should have won last year."

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/05/05/9351676-sun.html)

Cummins joins list of former assistants to step up
by Ridge Mahoney

AT SOME POINT, THE MLS coaching career of John Carver careened off-course, and whether anyone might have foreseen it happening is no longer an issue.
After 15 months in charge, dating back to his hiring in February 2008, Carver left Toronto FC last week. Clashes between him, MLS, and team management had not only become more and more virulent but had begun to seep into the locker room and training sessions.

Read More (http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=32186)

Robinson ready for cup battle
Reds face Vancouver at BMO Field on Wednesday

Toronto FC midfielder Carl Robinson believes the hurt of failing to win the Nutrilite Canadian Championship last year will spur the team on in the tournament this season. The Reds open against Vancouver Whitecaps at BMO Field on Wednesday night. "It means a great deal to us," said Robinson. "This is a massive tournament for us and we've got to put a few things right after last year when we should have won the tournament and everyone expected us to win but we didn't. We've got to make sure that we go into this game full of confidence and in a lively manner to make sure we get off to a good start."

Read More (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090504&content_id=248192&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :(

spezz44
05-05-2009, 05:44 AM
SSG is brutal!! haha

denime
05-05-2009, 06:13 AM
SSG is brutal!! haha

No she is not,she just a little bit more round than usual SSG's :rolleyes:

Velvet Elvis
05-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Isn't today Tuesday ???

Batman
05-05-2009, 06:27 AM
The Ridge Mahoney article appears to lay out the facts behine Carver's departure better than anything else I've seen so far.

Thanks Denime.

Toronto Gunner
05-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Today’s News, Wednesday , May.05 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13014)

You scared the crap out of me, I thought for sure I had missed a meeting today!

Toronto Gunner
05-05-2009, 06:39 AM
SUNshine Girl Fiona is 29 years old and loves golf.

I forgot to add - BullSh*t she's 29! Her skin is haggered!

Waggy
05-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Jeez. My laptop just slapped me, got up and walked away! Guess the SSG caused some kind of runtime error haha. I'd make this joke, :deadhorse: but I'd feel bad for the horse!!

In serious news, glad to hear we're running out the full team tomorrow!

bhoybobby
05-05-2009, 06:56 AM
The Ridge Mahoney article appears to lay out the facts behine Carver's departure better than anything else I've seen so far.

Thanks Denime.

Then Carver was right to go, Mo's a control freak, his actions are unheard of anywhere.

scooter
05-05-2009, 07:02 AM
mornin d

Steve
05-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Wow, that SSG is going to be auctioned off on stage? I kind of feel really bad for her now. I mean, the photogs job is to make her look good. If that was the best he could do, she's just going to be up on stage, shuffling uncomfortably as she gets no bids.

I kind of hope she has a friend in the crowd that will at least make a bid to save her some face. Of course, she best be paying him back double if he does, because really, who wants to be seen bidding on that?

denime
05-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Isn't today Tuesday ???

Fixed

Yohan
05-05-2009, 07:16 AM
man. i was wondering about all this hew and cry, but there has been way worse SSG.

though this one needs to wear a paper bag. bah. just dig her up and bury her

OHARARULES
05-05-2009, 07:42 AM
I forgot to add - BullSh*t she's 29! Her skin is haggered!
The name Fiona should say it all. if you have ever watched the movie shrek!

keem-o-sabi
05-05-2009, 08:11 AM
sorry i am late with this today..Miss Coed (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/)yummy :) more than makes up for the SSG

Nuvinho
05-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Toronto's home-field advantage proving to be a myth
By Steve Davis

Sweeping up after the MLS weekend party, here are 10 things I found lying around:
1. A little research goes a long way: Here's a note for bloggers, journalists, TV announcers or fans bent on dropping little nuggets of knowledge at soccer-friendly happy hours. It sounds very dramatic and all to repeat this clichéd ditty about "fortress" BMO Field and how it's such a bugger of place to play, etc.

Read More (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=643322&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901)

This article pissed me off, maybe the person who wrote this article can dive deeper into the numbers. Here is what I found out from our last 2 seasons (2008 and 2009 so far):

- Past 2 years we have only lost a total of 3 games
- In 20 home games the past 2 years we have allowed a total of 16 goals
- We have NEVER lost to an East team at home since the 1st season

If anyone else has any questions about opponents, which month, etc, I dumped everything into a pivot table.......haha!!

boban
05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
This article pissed me off, maybe the person who wrote this article can dive deeper into the numbers. Here is what I found out from our last 2 seasons (2008 and 2009 so far):

- Past 2 years we have only lost a total of 3 games
- In 20 home games the past 2 years we have allowed a total of 16 goals
- We have NEVER lost to an East team at home since the 1st season

If anyone else has any questions about opponents, which month, etc, I dumped everything into a pivot table.......haha!!
You can spin numbers however you want.
And I noticed you spun those numbers to suit your needs.
At the end of the day its a fact 'this is our house' ain't becoming much of one.

Nuvinho
05-05-2009, 08:30 AM
At the end of the day its a fact 'this is our house' ain't becoming much of one.

That is true!

We do tie too many games at home.

Oldtimer
05-05-2009, 08:31 AM

The key point is that BMO Field is becoming more of a fortress, not less.
It was in the first year that most of those losses came.

Fort York Redcoat
05-05-2009, 08:41 AM
$1 more for more Canada friendlies is a great deal. If I had a kid I can't see myself griping. I'd expect to simply see more friendlies.

Wether I have a kid or not I expect to see more friendlies now.

Or free transport to Cyprus.

Bluenose13
05-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Then Carver was right to go, Mo's a control freak, his actions are unheard of anywhere.He rightly asked his coach to do his job from the touch line & now he's a control freak :rolleyes:

It wouldn't matter what the reason was, you were always going to add your ante Mo spin on things ;)

Don Julio
05-05-2009, 08:53 AM

Thanks Denime.

Actually it looks like a lot of random conjecture. He may be right, but he doesn't even refer to unnamed sources, let alone quote anyone or provide any evidence of anything!

Stouffville_RPB
05-05-2009, 09:02 AM
sorry i am late with this today..Miss Coed (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/miss-coed/)yummy :) more than makes up for the SSG

"Thrity-two-year-old Italian bombshell, Manuela Arcuri is an actress and model born and raised in Latina, Italy"

I found a wife!

ensco
05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Why do journalists keep bringing up this annoying, utterly irrelevant topic, day after day?

Then Carver was right to go, Mo's a control freak, his actions are unheard of anywhere.

The article was critical of Mo for something totally different: Mahoney is saying that Carver was a hiring mistake, lots of unnamed problems had been going on, and things happened to come to a head after the Chivas game.

Who knows if the "unnamed" locker room stuff is true, but I'll bet we're going to hear more along this line fairly soon.

There is a wide zone of outcomes this season (ie if we don't finish in the top 4 or the bottom 4), where perceptions about this episode, about Mo, and about "the five year plan" will determine what happens here next year, from top to bottom.

Other than that, of course, it's all just morbid curiosity.

drewski
05-05-2009, 09:10 AM
of the 5 teams we've played at home, 3 (seattle, FC Dallas and Columbus) have walked away with more points then they have averaged in all their road games.

havent' had a chance to look at the last 2 seasons

Kevvv
05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
SSG is brutal!! haha

Like Ann Coulter, but with her mouth closed.

Technorgasm
05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
LEST WE FORGET:

MONT 0:1 TORO
(H)TORO 0:1 VANC
VANC 2:2 TORO
(H) TORO 1:1 MONT

MONT: 7 points
TFC: 5 points
VANC: 4 points

MUST WIN TOMORROW
We started the tourney off AWAY last year, and with a WIN.

Are we facing much improved opposition?
Have our improvements out weighed theirs?

I think so.
3 points, COMING UP! :scarf:

drewski
05-05-2009, 09:41 AM
just for MLS games, teams visiting TO have 0.1 and 0.3 pts/game less then they averaged on the road all season, but in 2007, they averaged 0.2 pts/game more at BMO

bhoybobby
05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Why do journalists keep bringing up this annoying, utterly irrelevant topic, day after day?

The article was critical of Mo for something totally different: Mahoney is saying that Carver was a hiring mistake, lots of unnamed problems had been going on, and things happened to come to a head after the Chivas game.

Who knows if the "unnamed" locker room stuff is true, but I'll bet we're going to hear more along this line fairly soon.

There is a wide zone of outcomes this season (ie if we don't finish in the top 4 or the bottom 4), where perceptions about this episode, about Mo, and about "the five year plan" will determine what happens here next year, from top to bottom.

Other than that, of course, it's all just morbid curiosity.

All I'm saying is that mls don't have a problem with coaches taking ina game form up high. Lot's of top teams coaches do that every now & then, for a different perspective.

His Moeness for some reason, doesn't like it, or allow it. Like I say, he's a control freak & pantload.

ilikemusic
05-05-2009, 11:19 AM
I didnt want to make a whole new thread for this but I must show it off. Credit must be given where it is due.

Great banner made up by the Fire supporters for Seattle's visit.

http://i39.tinypic.com/29yjtxu.jpg

Anyone whos ever owned an X-Box 360 will appreciate the humor. :lol:

billyfly
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Regarding "Fortress" BMO:

Opponents - You'll walk away with points (draws) but not ALL the points!

ensco
05-05-2009, 11:45 AM
All I'm saying is that mls don't have a problem with coaches taking ina game form up high. Lot's of top teams coaches do that every now & then, for a different perspective.

His Moeness for some reason, doesn't like it, or allow it. Like I say, he's a control freak & pantload.

Personally, I doubt this was anything more than a small part of the real story. Whatever it is.

DOMIN8R
05-05-2009, 01:53 PM
RSL's Morales suspended, fined

By Sports Network - The Sports Network
Published: Tue, May. 05, 2009 02:23PM

Modified Tue, May. 05, 2009 02:29PM

The Major League Soccer Disciplinary Committee fined Real Salt Lake midfielder Javier Morales $250 and suspended him one game for violent conduct during his team's match vs. the Colorado Rapids on Saturday.
The incident in question occurred with about 10 minutes to play in the game and was not seen by the officiating crew. Morales apparently contacted Rapids midfielder Pablo Mastroeni in the head with his forearm. Morales was not called for a foul on the play, but after a review, the disciplinary committee decided it was a red card offense.
Morales will serve the one-game suspension on Wednesday, when RSL hosts the Los Angeles Galaxy.

This is interesting because it points to a new/renewed attempt by MLS to try and get better control of the game - even if it is after the fact. Does this point to a new focus on discipline? It does seem that the league is trying to envoke more control of the pitch than it has in the past.

Beach_Red
05-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Personally, I doubt this was anything more than a small part of the real story. Whatever it is.

I think you're right. Time will tell if it's the beginning of a trend or a one-off thing.

Not much point in speculating now.

morgank1986
05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I didnt want to make a whole new thread for this but I must show it off. Credit must be given where it is due.

Great banner made up by the Fire supporters for Seattle's visit.

http://i39.tinypic.com/29yjtxu.jpg

Anyone whos ever owned an X-Box 360 will appreciate the humor. :lol:

We had something very similar to this designed and made, how ever the high winds during the home opener made it too difficult to show it off.

mr k
05-05-2009, 03:11 PM
TFC make top 10

1. Hockey, Blackhawks at Canucks, Saturday, CBC: 1,879,000
2. Hockey, Hurricanes at Bruins, Sunday, TSN: 805,000
3. Hockey, Ducks at Red Wings, Friday, CBC: 746,000
4. Hockey, Penguins at Capitals, Saturday, CBC: 632,000*
5. Hockey Night In Canada pre-game show, Saturday, CBC: 574,000
6. Hockey, Ducks at Red Wings, Sunday, TSN: 567,000*
7. Hockey, Hurricanes at Bruins, Friday, TSN: 514,000
8. Baseball, Orioles at Blue Jays, Sunday, Sportsnet: 340,000
9. Soccer, Columbus at Toronto FC, Saturday, CBC: 261,000
10. Baseball, Orioles at Blue Jays, Saturday, Sportsnet: 255,000

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2009/05/here-are-the-top-rated-sports-events-of-the-past-weekend-according-to-bbm-nielsen-media-research-overnight-ratings--1-hock.html

DOMIN8R
05-05-2009, 03:12 PM
^^^ Holy shit. That is effen fantastic.

mr k
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
spotted this article in all places, the Wall Street Journal, posted in entirety as some articles are pay per view

Taking a Stand in the Grandstands

Overseas, Sports Fans Take to Their Feet; Not in the U.S., Where 'Everyone Thinks They're King'

In the U.S., go to almost any professional sporting event and look in the stands -- just about everyone sits. But at soccer matches throughout the world, many fans prefer to stand.
The tradition of standing is so entrenched that games like Tuesday's UEFA Champions League semifinal at London's Emirates stadium often elicit battles between ticket-holders who want to stay on their feet and security guards who want them to relax a little.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124147578109184945.html

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-05-2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks Denime.

The article seems to be more that persons opinion then based on any fact. Garber can deny he forced JC back to the field, but i dont believe
him..MLS looks bad on this and MLSE should have supported JC more in this instead of hiding, and letting JC take the blame...typical MLSE stuff

jloome
05-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks Denime.

Uh, why exactly, given that it's an opinion piece that doesn't quote a single source?

Steve
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM

As I understand, Mo let Carver go up for the first game, but Carver wanted to stay up there. I suspect it's actually the circumstances behind his move, more than the move up itself. There is a huge difference between going upstairs for strategy, and going upstairs in the middle of a hissy fit. Also, Carver should have had the press conference if he was really in control. MLSE expected Carver to be the face of the franchise, if he threw a temper tantrum and refused to play ball, wouldn't Mo be in the right to expect him to be back where MLSE was paying him to be?

Look, I'm not saying that is what happened, but it very well could have been. I highly doubt it was a case of a happy couch asking to go and view the game from a strategic position, and big bad MLSE trying to control him.