PDA

View Full Version : Fortress BMO?

bee dubya
05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
"As for BMO's being a tough place to take points: TFC is 13-10-12 all time there, a home record that is below-average in MLS. Columbus' 1-1 weekend draw added to the body of evidence."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=643322&sec=mls&root=mls&campaign=rss&source=soccernet&&cc=5901

Kevvv
05-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Everything's relative. If their home record is below average, how would he describe their away record? Up until this year, at least.

trane
05-04-2009, 03:57 PM
He is not wrong, but I think it is relative, we were a decent home team already in the first season, compared to how shite we were on the road. At home we could beat anyone, on the road we could not beat anyone.

This season we need to get way better. If we trully make BMO a fortress we will get into the playoffs.

Boudge
05-04-2009, 03:58 PM
"you'd think poisonous snakes menaced the visitors' locker room and skilled snipers were placed strategically at elevated positions about the grounds"

I think he might be on to something.. hahaha

Roogsy
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
It's not really a myth as the reason why the whole "fortress" image began when we had a nice run in our first year (and beginning of the second season) where at home we had a good record (especially for an expansion team) but our undoing was our away record.

Now things have evened out. The 2nd half of last season and to start this season, there really isn't any dominance at BMO Field, so yeah, the whole Fortress thing has sort of been undone.

But I look forward to the day when we have our "Fortress" back. Teams used to fear coming to BMO. Now they think they can get a result. That needs to change.

uncle p
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
still a young franchise and the first year doesnt count as we lost everywhere!!
What was it, two home losses last year? Not bad but the boys will have to find a way to turn draws into wins if we wanna be the next Bridge!

ensco
05-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Be very, very quiet, take a good look around, make sure nobody sees you....and have a peek at some other interesting TFC stuff at the bottom of that story.

But shhhh, don't tell anybody about it, or a whole bunch of people here will get crazy angry.

Roogsy
05-04-2009, 04:08 PM
A lot of us did read it and funny enough, I agree with Davis. But that is not what this thread is about. Have a comment about the Fortress issue?

ensco
05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Have a comment about the Fortress issue?

Yes. He's wrong. He's not normalizing for how terrible a team we've been over the period.

Who is "a lot of us", btw?

werewolf
05-04-2009, 04:21 PM
We are 5-6-22 on the road, for 21 points vs. 49 points at home...

joel
05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Does he have more stats than just record? what's the opposition average goals per game at BMO vs. other places, what's our home goals per game vs. the average?

What about distribution of goals by time in match?

Just record alone does not begin to quantify home field advantages. You can have a fortress, but the team can let you down in the 90th minute, if you keep the GAA down relatively to the other stadiums in the league, then yes, it gives credence to the fortress name.

werewolf
05-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Since the professional writer preaching research doesn't actually want to do much himself...

Last season we allowed 12 goals at home, 2nd behind RSL at 10 for fewest in the league. Had we scored more then a low of 17, our record would have been far superior. Season 1, we allowed an average number of 18, but again only scored a mere 17.

In 3 season combined, we have allowed the fewest goals against at home in the league. The problem with looking solely at the record, is we have also scored the least at home.

jloome
05-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Be very, very quiet, take a good look around, make sure nobody sees you....and have a peek at some other interesting TFC stuff at the bottom of that story.

But shhhh, don't tell anybody about it, or a whole bunch of people here will get crazy angry.

Not angry, but mildly annoyed. Whether it's Mo posturing or Carver posturing is irrelevant; we all know by now we weren't given the complete picture. Continuing the "what really happened" debacle doesn't serve any purpose other than morbid curiosity at this point.

mlsintoronto
05-04-2009, 06:25 PM

starting with me...ensco! i thought we were pals! and you'd never question anything TFC related ever again! boy was I wrong! :p

Beach_Red
05-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Not angry, but mildly annoyed. Whether it's Mo posturing or Carver posturing is irrelevant; we all know by now we weren't given the complete picture. Continuing the "what really happened" debacle doesn't serve any purpose other than morbid curiosity at this point.

Last year at this point a lot of people were pointing to San Jose and saying, "Look at them, they got it right." Don't hear a lot of that this year, now it's all, "Look at Seattle, that's how you do an expansion team."

Maybe we aren't really as badly off as we sometimes think.

iansmcl
05-04-2009, 07:08 PM
We lost seven times in 2007... twice in 2008. And once so far...

We started calling it the "Fortress" in 2008 didn't we?
That seems fairly justified.
What worries me is the high amount of draws... since those are still happening...

Ah well.

TFC Cityboy
05-04-2009, 07:17 PM
2007 was more "bouncy castle" than fortress ;)

ensco
05-04-2009, 10:15 PM
starting with me...ensco! i thought we were pals! and you'd never question anything TFC related ever again! boy was I wrong! :p

we all know you don't get angry, you just call security

it's good to be the king

ensco
05-04-2009, 10:24 PM

The Carver hiring and/or departure is a bigtime screw up by Mo, and that's true whether you like or dislike Mo, or whether you like or dislike Carver.

How silly of me to think that trying to understand this might somehow be useful in terms of how the team works, whether Mo is doing the job or not, whether Anselmi is doing a good job. Wherever could anybody have got that absurd idea?

rocker
05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
whether Mo is doing the job or not,

this is determined one way: points in the standings.

When 30 games are up, you'll have your answer... which is more important than figuring out the soap opera.

rocker
05-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Last year at this point a lot of people were pointing to San Jose and saying, "Look at them, they got it right." Don't hear a lot of that this year, now it's all, "Look at Seattle, that's how you do an expansion team."

Maybe we aren't really as badly off as we sometimes think.

i think a lot of people like to jump to assessments too early, as some sort of way of criticizing TFC. people have to let whole seasons.. even years play out before making comparisons between expansion teams. San Jose finished with more points than we did in our year 1... but are on pace for fewer points in year 2... we'll see where they stand after 30 games.

Seattle started hot.. now look at what they are saying about Montero

http://www.nextseasonsports.com/2009/05/sounders-fc-what-happened-to-montero.html

time is often the great equalizer ......