PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Solution to BMO getting natural field (Lamport Field)

Razcle
05-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I couldn't find anything in the search menu.

So, obviously we all have thought a lot about the natural grass Vs. turf situation at BMO, and one day I was reading though a TFC Academy article and I thought, why the hell don't they put the bubble over Lamport Field instead of BMO and turn that facility into the year round sports venue??? Could this be our solution to getting natural grass?

Now I remember reading the field was just outfit with field turf (which I am assuming is the same as BMO), and since the bubble is only over the field, it doesn't matter what condition the stands are in as they are on the outside.

So aside from any training facilities that are currently inside BMO dressing rooms, what would be the problem with setting up shop in the winter time at Lamport. It is city owned I believe and probably makes no revenue for the city in the winter months.:confused:

Just as an aside, I am from the KW area and have never been to Lamport, nor do I even know the location of Lamport with respect to the city/population districts.

ExiledRed
05-31-2008, 09:29 AM
The bubble over Lamport solution has been raised many times on these boards,
unfortunately never by anybody who has any bearing on the situation. MLSE spokespersons claim theyre not considering it, the city isnt thinking about it either.

It doesnt change either that the stadium (BMO) is 'whored out' by the city to whoever wants to use it during the summer, and therefore a grass surface would probably be worse than fieldturf unless they can hold the 'ultimate frisbee', pub league games and Genesis concerts at Lamport too.

Carts
05-31-2008, 09:38 AM
It doesnt change either that the stadium (BMO) is 'whored out' by the city to whoever wants to use it during the summer, and therefore a grass surface would probably be worse than fieldturf unless they can hold the 'ultimate frisbee', pub league games and Genesis concerts at Lamport too.

Well said...

The almighty dollar will always win when the City, and MLSE are the ones calling the shots...

Carts...

Pigfynn
05-31-2008, 09:42 AM
MLSE should have bought the fucking tin can when this whole thing was first proposed.

rocker
05-31-2008, 09:45 AM
times were different then, before anyone had bought a season ticket ;)

hindsight is always 20/20.

Pigfynn
05-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Whatever, $64 million is fuck all even then.

Razcle
05-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Yah hindsight is 20/20....however is there any reason to believe that MLSE still wouldn't have put field turf down even if they owned BMO just to make a few extra $$?

ExiledRed
05-31-2008, 09:52 AM
$64 million, That's a couple of 'maple leafs' isnt it?

koryo
05-31-2008, 09:56 AM
...unless they can hold the 'ultimate frisbee', pub league games and Genesis concerts at Lamport too.

If only Genesis could fill Lamport.

Frisbee should be okay.

jimiv
05-31-2008, 10:00 AM
If Beckham hasn't played in Toronto for 2 years in a row, Landicakes and Xavier now using Turf as an excuse not to play in Toronto, then how long before MLS/MLSE will have to do something about the turf so that "premier" players will play in Toronto?

Also will Galaxie ticket prices still be "premium" next year?

Pigfynn
05-31-2008, 10:26 AM
MLSE shit $64 million...they dropped the ball period.

Razcle
05-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Ha...Galaxy tickets should not be a premium even with Becks on the team. They are terrible as seen against the Whitecaps in Edmonton. If they had a team full of capable players, then I could see the ticket being primo priced...but aside from their top three guys...they are weak as Harry Kewel's degenerative foot/leg

boban
05-31-2008, 10:37 AM
There will be a solution to get grass into the NSS.
Things just take time.

jabbronies
05-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Things just take time.

The NSS no longer exists my friend....You need a National team to actually play there in order to call it that...

BeachRed
05-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Things just take time.

This is true. Give it a couple of years.

Clearly MLSE is moving towards much more soccer in its future. As slow as it feels, it's actually happenning pretty fast.

And Carts, just out of curiosity - when is the almighty dollar not the deciding factor? About anything? :wink:

nfitz
05-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Given that Donovan and Beckham seem to have no problem playing in BC Place, and the wose than turf grass in Edmonton, clearly the turf is not the issue.

Christoff
05-31-2008, 11:05 AM
The NSS no longer exists my friend....You need a National team to actually play there in order to call it that...

since when is BMO not National Soccer Stadium?

devioustrevor
05-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Given that Donovan and Beckham seem to have no problem playing in BC Place, and the wose than turf grass in Edmonton, clearly the turf is not the issue.

When did they play at BC Place. The game vs. the Whitecaps was in Edmonton at Commonwealth.

Razcle
05-31-2008, 11:08 AM
When did they play at BC Place. The game vs. the Whitecaps was in Edmonton at Commonwealth.

At the end of last season the Galaxy played against the WhiteCaps at BC Place in Vancouver...I think the score was 0-0....boring game....I think there was a streaker as well if I remember correctly:canada:

Christoff
05-31-2008, 11:08 AM
they played two games vs the whitecaps, one at bc place, and one in edmonton

ensco
05-31-2008, 11:15 AM
MLSE has to be focused on this - despite the vocal/strident screeching of a few apologists on here who go on about "the future", the people involved know that this can't go on.

NY and RSL - going to grass within a year.
NE - has just as big a problem as we do attracting players (not saying it hasn't worked out for us so far, but if you think Guevara Robert or Ricketts had options, you're mistaken), and their stadium situation is absolutely no model for anyone.

That leaves Saprissa (Costa Rica), Moscow, and us, as "flagbearers" for the future.

We had to have fieldturf to get the team/stadium, but subsequent events have shown that we have to go to grass. Soccer on fieldturf is a facsimile of the game.

MLSE need to provide a new year-round facility for ultimate frisbee. Lamport is unlikely to be an option - that is very valuable real estate with many alternate uses down the road.

Somewhere else on the CNE grounds? That is much more likely.

Christoff
05-31-2008, 11:26 AM
what is much more likely is that you wont see a grass pitch untill MLSE owns a ground of their own, the Government put in for this with one of the stipulations being that it would be a public field, and to be made acessable to the public through the low rent blahblahblah bullshit, while we might not like this, its a part of the NSS and thats pretty much how it will stay.
ontop of that i highly doubt MLSE will be building their own grounds anytime soon being that they plan on expanding the stadium within the next few years.

nfitz
05-31-2008, 11:44 AM
The game vs. the Whitecaps was in Edmonton at Commonwealth. on a grass pitch that looked as though it had been used recently for a tractor pull (okay I exaggerate a bit) with players saying they would have been better off playing on the notoriously bad turf at BC Place.

Honestly, I wish people would stop moaning about the turf. We've all heard the message, but it's getting a little old.

Christoff
05-31-2008, 11:46 AM
haha speaking of bad grass, anyone else notice how often the pitch seemed to blow up under the lads feet in montreal? the one throw in from jimmy b was the best, he had a massive mound under him lol

boban
05-31-2008, 12:00 PM
what is much more likely is that you wont see a grass pitch untill MLSE owns a ground of their own, the Government put in for this with one of the stipulations being that it would be a public field, and to be made acessable to the public through the low rent blahblahblah bullshit, while we might not like this, its a part of the NSS and thats pretty much how it will stay.
ontop of that i highly doubt MLSE will be building their own grounds anytime soon being that they plan on expanding the stadium within the next few years.
Blah blah blah blah.
There is as solution to all of this. You have to remember we are talking about politicians here. And political solutions is what they will find. Everything is up for negotiating as long as the price is right.

Christoff
05-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Meh the price wont be right, i could see some kinda of sideways deal with MLSE footing the whole bill for expanson and being given more rights(or ownership, who knows) but at the same time, i dont see MLSE putting a grass pitch down untill the very moment that it has to be done, MLSE spending money is like me writing an essay, i talk about doing it for a long time, and then do it right before the deadline, we wont see much out of MLSE unless they have to or need to do something, and grass is soon going to be on that list, but the soon in the context im speaking is within the next 5-7 years.
but then again i could be wrong, this is just my opinion and everyone knows the ole saying about assholes and opinions.

ensco
05-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Not true about MLSE spending.

MLSE must invest in grass to (i) protect what they've built, and (ii) grow from here.

stugautz
06-01-2008, 01:47 AM
I like our record over the last 8 home games on turf. It gives us an advantage over the competition. If given the choice between winning and attracting good talent, I'll take winning any day of the week. But that's just me.

Blizzard
06-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I couldn't find anything in the search menu.

So, obviously we all have thought a lot about the natural grass Vs. turf situation at BMO, and one day I was reading though a TFC Academy article and I thought, why the hell don't they put the bubble over Lamport Field instead of BMO and turn that facility into the year round sports venue??? Could this be our solution to getting natural grass?

Now I remember reading the field was just outfit with field turf (which I am assuming is the same as BMO),

It's not. It's a cheaper alternative. I believe it is called "Game Turf" from a company named "Dol Turf".

B

ExiledRed
06-01-2008, 09:33 AM
They had excess 'game turf' at Lamport, so they turfed the edges under the railing at the parking lot end.

They might not have realised that that spot is a urinal after most games.