PDA

View Full Version : It has to be jealousy

AdamZ
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't know where TFC will be years down the line. I hope season ticket sales will go even higher if/when BMO Field gets more seats, I hope it becomes the top sport team in Ontario. But what I know is that the RPB, U-Sector, and other hardcore supporters will continue to back the team no matter what, even if BMO starts to look relatively empty in the future (and hopefully that will never happen).

In reference to my thread title, I have noticed a tendency from many MLS fans to dismiss TFC's fanbase and the club itself as manufactured and phony. Of course much of this is simple rivalry and competition, yet I know from watching a lot of international football as well as other sports that competitors (though probably not rivals) definitely acknowledge well-organized, quality fan groups. This dismissal of TFC fans bothers me, sitting here in Calgary and having never met a single TFC fan face-to-face. I can't imagine how it feels in Toronto. hmm, you probably don't give a shit because you're living somewhere which supports TFC. Speaking of which what's the general attitude in the city towards the team. Obviously they're not as big as the Maple Leafs but do lots of people watch them outside of those who go to BMO Field for the games? Does anyone talk about them I've been in Toronto recently but it's been during the off-season, and it was a short visit anyhow.

I daresay there is nothing more genuine than the support for TFC. A three year old club with this sort of support? With that sort of atmosphere at home games AND even away games? They simply have got to be jealous.

I don't doubt that it is possible that the Sounders and maybe even the Whitecaps will have home support to challenge ours at least slightly, but how anyone can doubt how genuine the support for TFC has been is beyond me.

I guess this thread is pointless.

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
i'd say two things to this....firstly I want every other team to have support equal to ours. I'm not gonna get supporters envy because we are great, and will remain that, and if it happens around the league it'd make the league better.

Secondly I dont see much dismissing of us. they ignore us the way all american leagues do to american leagues...but i dont think consiously...do you have a specific event that brought this up?

TFC07
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, North American soccer fans are jealous of TFC fanbase, but however, a lot of Europeans (especially British) who have watch TFC games are impressed. Even some of them are fans of TFC now. I just hope in the future we will play in World Club Cup and show the world our passion for TFC. :scarf:

NF-FC
05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
This forum has fallen of the tracks

AdamZ
05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
This forum has fallen of the tracks

I'm sorry, I'm new here and just wanted to see what people had to say to my insane ramblings.

AL-MO
05-03-2009, 10:14 PM
There is nothing manufactured about us. Unless you want to consider the 5 hours I spent prepping our banner for Montreal.

People will say what they want, but outside Barra Brava and Section 8 there isn't anyone else who comes close. I WILL give credit to the Nordecke, they have come along in the past year and a bit.

FluSH
05-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Speaking of which what's the general attitude in the city towards the team. Obviously they're not as big as the Maple Leafs but do lots of people watch them outside of those who go to BMO Field for the games? .

I went out yesterday and wasn't able to change out of my kit... anyhow we hit the Madison and about 5 people said TFC comments... like TFC.. or "Yes... FC" or "Who won?"... I also had my scarf wrapped on my wrist and I could hear a couple saying "look he's a supporter".

After 2:00am we walked some more and I got the odd nod here and there from people... it felt like a TFC nod cause I didn't know them hhaha

The best was...

walking some more near The Birks Store and a hot Asian chick walking with her boyfriend stopped in mid-conversation to shout out "FC Toronoooo"...

yup things are changing...

P.S. Adamdz will be pissed at this post.

AdamZ
05-03-2009, 10:20 PM

Another rookie mistake I made. I hope I'm not pissing everyone off so that when I eventually show up at some away game out west nobody wants to talk to me. :noidea: It's my first name and latter initial, had no clue there would be anyone named so similarly here.

Also thanks for addressing what the situation is like with TFC over there. I'd say for getting that response my thread isn't quite as pointless as I initially thought.

AdamZ
05-03-2009, 10:25 PM
hey I'm going to apply for membership pretty soon if you can mail the kit or whatever out to Alberta.

colman1860
05-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Oh come on guys...sure, this thread won't change the world, but it's sure as hell a lot more intelligent and useful than many others posted around here. Give him a break.

JDG
05-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Work it out im PMs if you like, but don't air your issues in public like this please.

JDG
05-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Work it out im PMs if you like, but don't air your issues in public like this please.

Forget I said please because I now insist.

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 10:51 PM
wow, what happened there....we were just being nice to each other and now everythings deleted.

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 10:53 PM
not a rhetorical question

JDG
05-03-2009, 10:58 PM
After being told to continue the conversation in PMs you didn't. By you, I mean all of you.
You conversation had nothing to do with the thread topic, and everything to do with personal tensions between you guys. You have no business taking over a thread like that.
The fact that you were resolving things is irrelevant because the process belonged in peronal communications, not the open forum.

JDG
05-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Congrats on your promotion

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 11:01 PM
well i dont do the PM thing for stuff like that so i guess it played itself out naturally.

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
hahaahha, thanks, I take full credit

Sonny Cheeba
05-03-2009, 11:13 PM
promotion?

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 11:16 PM
birmingham to the premier league

Sonny Cheeba
05-03-2009, 11:18 PM
oh right.

yes. i'm happy they're back up.

TFC_Chris
05-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Seeing as I come in after all the fireworks are done...

:topic:

I would actually say one thing that I think is helping expand our notoriety in the GTA to those who wouldn't normally be subject to soccer is having the games broadcast on the Fan590. Personally I listen to that all the time and not only are they doing the games, but they are also following up on other scores from around the league in the 20/20 updates on that day.

I can't judge the overall impact but at least it gets people more aware.

ilikemusic
05-04-2009, 12:31 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j67/NightMarePaint/lmao-1.jpg?t=1241414935

Apparently I wandered in here too late to understand what was going on so here is some friendly advice...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/when-out-of-cats.jpg

Ratven
05-04-2009, 12:44 AM
I went out yesterday and wasn't able to change out of my kit... anyhow we hit the Madison and about 5 people said TFC comments... like TFC.. or "Yes... FC" or "Who won?"... I also had my scarf wrapped on my wrist and I could hear a couple saying "look he's a supporter".

After 2:00am we walked some more and I got the odd nod here and there from people... it felt like a TFC nod cause I didn't know them hhaha

The best was...

walking some more near The Birks Store and a hot Asian chick walking with her boyfriend stopped in mid-conversation to shout out "FC Toronoooo"...

That's really funny Flush, I was at Bier Markt last night, I had changed out of all my stuff.. but I was outside at one point (I was really drunk by then) talking to a non-TFC buddy and explaining to him how awesome the atmosphere is, how good the team has become, how it's the most genuine fan experience in the city, etc etc etc... and almost on cue, three guys pass right in front of me to get in to the bar wearing full TFC attire, I guess they hadn't changed either. So I started chanting at them... (I was really drunk, remember) and they probably thought I was crazy, cause they hadn't had any drinks yet... but anyway, a funny coincidence.

Cashcleaner
05-04-2009, 12:48 AM
ANYWAYS, RESPONDING TO THE OP...

Yeah, I think there is a lot of jealousy going on throughout the rest of the league with regards to TFC and its fans. Groups mentioned like Barra Brava or Section 8 don't seem to pay us any attention, but the envy going on with the Columbus fans is pretty fucking obvious if you ask me.

The problem with them (and other club supporters) is the fact that support for TFC was huge when the club was first getting up and running. There is a belief that we haven't "done our time in the trenches" like so many other fans had to. They hate the fact that Toronto was always going to be more of a soccer town then their city despite coming in so late in the game.

To better explain what I mean, let's break down the most favoured insult used against us: Toronto fans think they invented soccer support.

That's it! That's all they got! That's the one remark you will hear constantly over at places like big soccer. Apparently in Toronto, we all think we invented the concept of supporting our team. Oh, and we also think too highly of ourselves when it comes to supporting TFC (ie: constantly patting ourselves on the back).

Of course, this doesn't apply to all opposing fans. I met some great guys down in KC this year and wouldn't lump them in with the average Big Soccer poster. Still, there is a lot of envy out there for what we got here in Toronto.

Cambridge_Red
05-04-2009, 01:02 AM
There's lots of room for improvement... Better we not setttle for what we have then compare ourselves to others.

Cashcleaner
05-04-2009, 01:33 AM
^ Very good point.

FluSH
05-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Another rookie mistake I made. I hope I'm not pissing everyone off so that when I eventually show up at some away game out west nobody wants to talk to me. :noidea: It's my first name and latter initial, had no clue there would be anyone named so similarly here.

Also thanks for addressing what the situation is like with TFC over there. I'd say for getting that response my thread isn't quite as pointless as I initially thought.

haha it was only a joke... there is someone else named adampz as well...

Detroit_TFC
05-04-2009, 10:20 AM

The best was...

Three separate groups of people asked me about the game as we walked from Bathhurst/King to Liberty at around 8 pm. This just would not happen in any other MLS city, except for Seattle maybe.

AdamZ
05-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Three separate groups of people asked me about the game as we walked from Bathhurst/King to Liberty at around 8 pm. This just would not happen in any other MLS city, except for Seattle maybe.

This is great.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
TFC set the standard for fans in the league...DC Utd have a good following( hope they get a SSS they deserve)...Seattle...they are good. Vancouver will be good as will Portland. Now the league need to look at some of the poorer markets...Dallas,
Columbus, KC? a new stadium would be nice), RSL for a good team they have a hard time filling the new park, and of course NYRB, will fans start coming out to the new park next season?

TorontoBlades
05-04-2009, 02:58 PM
birmingham to the premier league

grrrrrr, you stole it ;)

we'll be joining you shortly

Don Julio
05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Once in a while I used to get the feeling that the supporters groups are trying to hard, and forcing things at times... trying too much to imitate other great football cultures instead of letting it grow organically. But then I visit the Man City board that I frequent and see the exact same threads over there as here.. Bitching about getting different singing sections in unison, quibbling about the exact lyrics to songs, trying to make sure everybody has access to inflatable bananas for gameday.

Hell, they even have the same stupid arguments about whether they should sing their version of the Torres/Bounce song since it's a LFC song. In that case also the fact that it's so fun and catchy eventually won out. (though their versions are invariably funnier)

Bottom line is, to generate good support at games some "manufacturing" is necessary. As long as it's done by supporters rather than Ad Execs then there is nothing to be ashamed of.