PDA

View Full Version : Trillium Cup...do you really care for it?

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-03-2009, 08:09 PM
The Cup for the winner of the TFC-Crew series..do you really care for this, or is it a just waste of time...me i would rather have the 3 league points. The only Trophies TFc should be aiming for is:

1) MLS Cup
2) Canadian Championship
3) Superliga
4) Concacaf champions league
5) fifa club world cup:scarf:

5 possible trophies..well 3 at the moment as we can get into the superliga yet and 2010 is the first chance at the fifa world cup cup.

Captain Croatia
05-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Its a cup we should win, sure both the Caps and the Garbage Bag Tifo's are decent teams, but we should still win it year in and year out.

MG42
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I know one thing, I don't ever want to see another visiting team lift a trophy in our park, whether it's the Trillium Cup or anything else.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I know one thing, I don't ever want to see another visiting team lift a trophy in our park, whether it's the Trillium Cup or anything else.

:canada::scarf: for sure!

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 08:17 PM
of course we dont care about it. but we do care about beating the Crew. But it's not a a"cup". It's nothing.

TFC RealDeal RPB
Why not a trophy is a trophy and we can take it away from the crew

flatpicker
Well, you can't exactly say it's a waste of time considering no time is dedicated to it aside from the 3 games we would have played against Columbus anyway. So, it makes no difference one way or the other. It's just a way to win bragging rights; if that helps create more competition, then fine by me.

InTheCrowd
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Its a cup we should win, sure both the Caps and the Garbage Bag Tifo's are decent teams, but we should still win it year in and year out.

I think you got the wrong competition there mate. :)

james
05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Trillium cup is stupid. It was just used to create some sort of rivalry.

koryo
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I care much more for the Johnstone's Paint Trophy - and I'm not entirely sure what that is.

BC101
05-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I care much more for the Johnstone's Paint Trophy - and I'm not entirely sure what that is.
Me either TBH I just know its down the lower leagues... League one IIRC or were it 2? anyroad I agree Koryo LOL.

koryo
05-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Me either TBH I just know its down the lower leagues... League one IIRC or were it 2? anyroad I agree Koryo LOL.

What ever it is, Leeds still can't manage to win it. Too busy being knocked out of the FA Cup by Histon, or Basingstoke, or Harrogate Public Under-11's or... oh sod it, I'm off to bed :)

Shaughno
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't care about Clownbust. I don't care about their city. I don't care about any fabricated competition that doesn't mean dick all at the end of the season.

Some people need to realize, Columbus is shit and not worth spending your money on. Go somewhere else. Montreal. Chicago. New York. DC. ANYWHERE ELSE.

Enjoy the banter bitches.

J .
05-03-2009, 09:01 PM
I like taking shit from them

Yohan
05-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I like taking shit from them
do you like columbus steamer then?

james
05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
i dont think columbus is actually that bad. Its got some nice areas, its just not a big city feal like Montreal or Chicago or NY are. Columbus down town is like the size of missisauga downtown.

stretchthetruth
05-03-2009, 09:37 PM
i'd rather win it than not...

Sonny Cheeba
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
i'd rather win it than not...

well i'd piss in the shower either way. but i really dont' care if we win the trillium cup.

i care about beating the balls off montreal a lot more.

Carts
05-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I care- I know some people, hell alot of poeple will disagree, but I WANT TO WIN IT!

because of that, I'll head to Columbus to hopefully see us win it!\

Carts

Torcida
05-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I care more for it than the Carlsberg cup..

stretchthetruth
05-03-2009, 09:44 PM
well i'd piss in the shower either way. but i really dont' care if we win the trillium cup.

i care about beating the balls off montreal a lot more.

same here... but we covered that in the shower-pissing thread! :D

also - i agree that kicking the shit out of montreal is necessary this year.

Rhapido
05-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Any hardware for the trophy case should not be refused. Especially at this early stage of our existence when the shelf is bare. FFS, I would have taken the Charleston tourney win this spring but RSL had to show up and throw a wrench into things.

denime
05-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Trillium Cup =Two teams and One Cup

Shakes McQueen
05-03-2009, 09:56 PM
It's a piece of hardware, and our team can win it. Therefore, I want it.

- Scott

Inswingingwingman
05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Pissing in the shower is a necessary ritual, unless it's one of those group showers and you look down and the yellow water is betwixt yer toes.

Now if you're a real man you piss in the sink. Short guys need not apply. Come to think of it that might solve the linup problem at the BMO field.

Either that or they have Depends sponser a 2 for 1 carlsberg match. Sweet.

Yohan
05-03-2009, 09:59 PM

- Scott
i only want it so that i can take a nice big crap on it

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM

- Scott

I'm not really bothered about it, but I dont consider this hardware in anything but the most literal of ways. If I made a trophy for the champion between TFC and RSL it'd be hardware...wouldnt mean anything though

Sonny Cheeba
05-03-2009, 10:06 PM
i only want it so that i can take a nice big crap on it

fuckin right. make sure it gets into the crevasses.

Captain Croatia
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I think you got the wrong competition there mate. :)

LOL, yup. These stupid names are getting me!:hide:

TFC07
05-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Hell No!!!

This fake rivalry is a joke. The only team worth hating is Montreal Impact. Maybe Vancouver Whitecaps are another club worth hating. Hating and starting rivalries with these MLS clubs is like picking a fight against little kid; it's too damn easy to owned them.

twistedchinaman
05-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Just as long as we beat Columbus it's all good.

T_Mizz
05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Is it a made up trophy that means absolutely shit-all? of course but a trophy's a trophy and when the options are do you want to win it or not who the hell chooses no, three points goes to getting us into the playoffs and getting us some hardware tha means somthing. And if we can beat up on the crew on our way there then all the better.

Cashcleaner
05-03-2009, 11:54 PM
The Trillium Cup is nothing more than a piece of silverware created by the league to improve Columbus's waning attendance numbers. There is no benefit to Toronto to play harder for it as we are going to sell out BMO Field regardless of what's up for grabs.

Simply put, it's another ploy by the league to create a pretend rivalry between ourselves and Columbus. There's nothing wrong with just playing Columbus for three points, but it speaks volumes about this league's priorities when it needs to arbitrarily make up a regional rivalry with trophy so people will attend more Columbus Crew games.

S_D
05-04-2009, 02:22 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself Cash and I am glad that more people are seeing the light. Unfortunatetly for Columbus, their own fans don't care about the team, and most MLS fans don't give a crap about them either despite them winning the cup.

I am not sure what is worse, a manufactured rivalry or Columbus's inability to have it's own rival considering how long it has been in the MLS.

As we have seen in other sports such as the NHL, when head office tries to create rivalries or augment them, they screw things up. They have to let a history develop itself.

twistedchinaman
05-04-2009, 02:33 AM
The Trillium Cup is nothing more than a piece of silverware created by the league to improve Columbus's waning attendance numbers. There is no benefit to Toronto to play harder for it as we are going to sell out BMO Field regardless of what's up for grabs.

Simply put, it's another ploy by the league to create a pretend rivalry between ourselves and Columbus. There's nothing wrong with just playing Columbus for three points, but it speaks volumes about this league's priorities when it needs to arbitrarily make up a regional rivalry with trophy so people will attend more Columbus Crew games.

But the question remains, was it made by MLS, or was it made by MLSE? It has (or maybe I've not seen it) never been made clear who or what was the brains behind this brainfart.

Chicago is a more worthy rival than Columbus can ever wish to be.

kodiakTFC
05-04-2009, 02:39 AM
I want to win the Trillium Cup because: 1. I hate Columbus 2. We should win all our games?

Real cup wise, it goes something like this.

1) fifa club world cup
2) Concacaf champions league
3) MLS Cup
4) Canadian Championship
5) superliga

Cashcleaner
05-04-2009, 03:20 AM
But the question remains, was it made by MLS, or was it made by MLSE? It has (or maybe I've not seen it) never been made clear who or what was the brains behind this brainfart.

Chicago is a more worthy rival than Columbus can ever wish to be.

If I remember correctly, Paul Beirne said the idea for the Trillium Cup was hatched by Columbus and okayed by the league. Toronto FC had to accept or else the club would look like they weren't up to the challenge. I can see how they really had no choice but to agree with the whole idea.

Steve
05-04-2009, 07:24 AM

Fair enough, but come on, are you going to tell me "there is no rivalry"? Anyone who says that is in SEVERE denial (on both sides by the way, since Columbus says it as often as we do).

Would you care to define a rivalry? Does taking more away support there than any other venue not count for anything (or, sorry, they're closest, which obviously discounts everything...). Does the fact that more banners are made against them than anyone else not count for anything? Does the fact that more threads are created on this board against them than any other team not count? Does the fact people seem to hate them more not count? The fact that more incidents have occured against them?

Seriously, what is a rivarly to you if it doesn't include ANY of the above? Like it or not, they are now our rivals (despite both sides trying to claim otherwise). Or is the fact that "the man" tried to hand it down the real problem here? Frankly, when watching this whole ordeal, I feel like I'm watching a stubborn baby being put down to sleep. He knows he's tired, but will still cry his head off even as he fights to stay awake. Maybe it's the principle of the thing, but it seems kind of futile to me.

Oldtimer
05-04-2009, 07:34 AM
The odd thing is that the propaganda for the Trilium Cup says it is " awarded by the supporters" of the two clubs. Yeah, right.

Fort York Redcoat
05-04-2009, 07:36 AM
The cup had little to do with our rivalry. They could've called it the "O" cup because our 2 cities both share that vowel. Presto! A rivalry!

Proximity I can see being a factor.

Steve
05-04-2009, 07:42 AM
The cup had little to do with our rivalry. They could've called it the "O" cup because our 2 cities both share that vowel. Presto! A rivalry!

Proximity I can see being a factor.

Of course the cup doesn't mean anything to the rivalry, but isn't that irrelevant? I mean, what does the MLS cup mean? Nothing! They could have called it anything they wanted to, but as long as they reward it to the winner of the end of year tourny it will be coveted. It isn't the cup itself, it's what it means that's important.

Nuvinho
05-04-2009, 07:54 AM
I only care about points.

Toronto Gunner
05-04-2009, 07:59 AM
A trophy's a trophy, I'll take whatever we can get. Toronto sports writers love to tear our teams to shreds whenever they come home empty handed at the end of the season. If we can win just one cup a year, no matter what it is, they will at least have to mention that we are winners in some regard.

Look at Arsenal, constantly blasted for not winning anything in four years. Tottenham win the Carling Cup, a trophy only marginally better than the trillium cup IMHO, and it's a huge boost for their club. We could use a boost.

TFC 420
05-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Where's the "I'll only care when we win it" option?

Yohan
05-04-2009, 08:06 AM
A trophy's a trophy, I'll take whatever we can get. Toronto sports writers love to tear our teams to shreds whenever they come home empty handed at the end of the season. If we can win just one cup a year, no matter what it is, they will at least have to mention that we are winners in some regard.

Look at Arsenal, constantly blasted for not winning anything in four years. Tottenham win the Carling Cup, a trophy only marginally better than the trillium cup IMHO, and it's a huge boost for their club. We could use a boost.
At least you have to play more games and against more teams in Carling Cup. And Carling Cup is a legit tourney.

Yohan
05-04-2009, 08:08 AM
out of curiousity, how many other teams and their supporters care about this fake cup?

IE, Crapids and RSL with their Rocky Mountain Cup. I dont think I've come across anyone that actually cares

Fort York Redcoat
05-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Of course the cup doesn't mean anything to the rivalry, but isn't that irrelevant? I mean, what does the MLS cup mean? Nothing! They could have called it anything they wanted to, but as long as they reward it to the winner of the end of year tourny it will be coveted. It isn't the cup itself, it's what it means that's important.

Terrible comparison. 2 teams competing for a trophy for regular season domination vs a post season tournament you have to qualify for. Large difference in quality competition.

The name is ridiculous but the reason for the trophy is no less contrived. I thought we were agreeing the fans found a rivalry without the trophy.

trane
05-04-2009, 08:49 AM
I do not give a shit about the Crew, their supporters, or the cup.

dannyd
05-04-2009, 11:13 AM
The Cup for the winner of the TFC-Crew series..do you really care for this, or is it a just waste of time...me i would rather have the 3 league points. The only Trophies TFc should be aiming for is:

1) MLS Cup
2) Canadian Championship
3) Superliga
4) Concacaf champions league
5) fifa club world cup:scarf:

5 possible trophies..well 3 at the moment as we can get into the superliga yet and 2010 is the first chance at the fifa world cup cup.

Personally, my list of importance is:

1) Canadian Championship
2) MLS (Supporter shield or MLS Cup)
3) CONCACAF Champs league

And at the very bottom of my list (things I don't care about):

10,000: Whether Beckham will play for the Galaxy
10,001: SARS
10,002: Swine Flu
10,003: Trillium Cup
10,004: Superliga

Dunkers
05-04-2009, 04:38 PM

+1

Montreal and the KKKrew last year, that feeling sucked ass! So i guess i do care for it

cmonyoureds
05-04-2009, 05:46 PM

+1
although given the laundry list of complaints after this years field trip, one might be inclined to think the KKKrew front office is starting to kill off their manufactured rivalry by handcuffing visiting support.
Hello Philly, see ya next year!!!

H Bomb
05-04-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm very surprised that 30+ % of people here care about this. I couldnt care less about Columbus...i think of them the same way i think of Kansas and Colorado.

BC101
05-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm very surprised that 30+ % of people here care about this. I couldnt care less about Columbus...i think of them the same way i think of Kansas and Colorado.
Agreed... Would rather do this with NYRB or someone else.. NER whoever else.. Clownbus is just not on the radar.

bhoybobby
05-04-2009, 09:13 PM
sure, as long as we get more points than McCowan's hometown shitheads

zeelaw
05-04-2009, 09:14 PM
It gets us into Europerrrrr...
America

MartinUtd
05-04-2009, 09:58 PM

Its the Football League Trophy (no to be confused with the Football League Cup) It's just for the lower two tiers of the Football League. Johnstone's Paint is just the most recent sponsor of it, like Carling for the Cup.

As for the Trillium...I just want the points, so sure, bring on the cup. I'm wondering what happens if there's a 0-0 or 1-1 draw in Columbus for the next match. Will there be penalties after to settle it or can we "win" the "cup" on away goals?

Cashcleaner
05-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Fair enough, but come on, are you going to tell me "there is no rivalry"? Anyone who says that is in SEVERE denial (on both sides by the way, since Columbus says it as often as we do).

Would you care to define a rivalry? Does taking more away support there than any other venue not count for anything (or, sorry, they're closest, which obviously discounts everything...). Does the fact that more banners are made against them than anyone else not count for anything? Does the fact that more threads are created on this board against them than any other team not count? Does the fact people seem to hate them more not count? The fact that more incidents have occured against them?

Seriously, what is a rivarly to you if it doesn't include ANY of the above? Like it or not, they are now our rivals (despite both sides trying to claim otherwise). Or is the fact that "the man" tried to hand it down the real problem here? Frankly, when watching this whole ordeal, I feel like I'm watching a stubborn baby being put down to sleep. He knows he's tired, but will still cry his head off even as he fights to stay awake. Maybe it's the principle of the thing, but it seems kind of futile to me.

I'm pretty sure if we wanted a rivalry with Columbus we would have one and it would be ten times more intense than what you're seeing know. All the shit that happened in Columbus that you talk about? More often enough it's involving casual Crew and TFC fans that it is Supporters from any of the 2 big groups. And why is it? I think its because the league and our clubs have simply convinced them that it's what we have going on - despite the fact that so many of us see right through it.

ilikemusic
05-05-2009, 06:52 AM
All I care about are the 9 points that are available in our games against Columbus.

That stupid trophy doesnt mean diddly squat.

king dave
05-05-2009, 07:11 AM
What would happen to this 'storied' rivalry/competition if Columbus were to say relocate?
Nevada maybe?
Interesting nonetheless.
KD.

Lucky Strike
05-05-2009, 08:29 AM
All I care about are the 9 points that are available in our games against Columbus.

That stupid trophy doesnt mean diddly squat.

Well for my part, winning the trophy would be better than not winning it, if only because it means we beat the KKKrew more than they did us. Which I suppose is what you're saying here.

Hmmm... I just should have said +1.

TOBOR !
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
you've all missed the point :

whoever wins the Trillium Cup has also gone on to win the MLS Cup.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-05-2009, 03:19 PM
you've all missed the point :

whoever wins the Trillium Cup has also gone on to win the MLS Cup.

and go winless the next opening season...:drinking: