PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Toronto FC - Pregame

Nuvinho
05-03-2009, 09:10 AM
This could be a tricky game. We have played so many games in the past few weeks, and more coming up. The away DC game this weekend will definately make CC think twice about his starting XI.

Don't know much about Vancouver this year, I know they made a lot of changes to get younger.

Projected XI:

======================Sutton====================== ===

Nana===========Serioux=============Velez=========B rennan

===================Robbo======Cronin============== ====

=========================DeRo===================== ==

Ricketts========================================== =Vitti

=======================Dichio===================== ===

I know people will be calling for Guevara and Barrett to start, but we have some big games coming up, and should get the rest of our squad some action.

RealG-TFC
05-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Why Sutton?

Nuvinho
05-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Why Sutton?

I am just assuming like how teams put their backup keeper in for Cup games, that we may do the same. But at the same time, I wouldn't be suprised if we play with our A-lineup, as I think this tourney the club really wants to win (ie. more home games ;) )

SteeltownBhoy
05-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Vancouver coming off 2 straight wins, but a young rebuilding team. That residency program is outstanding. That being said I believe anything but 3 points would be unacceptable.

Yohan
05-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Why Sutton?
because Sutton deserves a game after being patient and a pro about Frei being first choice right now

Giving Sutton few games keeps him happy

I'd like to see

-------------Sutton
--Wynne--Serioux--Velez--Attakora-Gyan
-------Cronin---------Robinson
----Ibrahim---DeRosario---Ricketts
-------------Vitti

Subs: Frei, Harmse, Brennan, Guevara, Smith, Barrett, Dichio

ensco
05-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Jeff Parke debuted last night

http://www.canada.com/Sports/Waiting+hardest+part/1549210/story.html

SteeltownBhoy
05-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Sutton needs some work, we will need him some time this year. Lots of games, short period of time, night game, probably cool. This is a good time to rest Frei, and not risk injury. Lets be realistic Sutton will probably be #1 again, maybe next year. We all know Frei will be on to bigger and better things. Mo, just don't sell him to Rangers.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-03-2009, 09:34 AM
because Sutton deserves a game after being patient and a pro about Frei being first choice right now

I'd like to see

-------------Sutton
-------------Vitti

you could say the same for Edwards?? Frei should still be it as this
might be considered an important game.....
Frei
Wynne......Serioux........Velez......Cronin
......Robinson.....Guevara......Ricketts

Barrett.....Vitti.......Ibby

Subs....Edwards....Harmse...Brennan...Dichio....De Ro...

sully
05-03-2009, 09:41 AM
After what happened last season, I think a full strenght team will be put out, regardless of upcoming difficult league fixtures. Whereas there was some complacency last season, I think the pressure is on to allow no mistakes and not to have a repeat.

kodiakTFC
05-03-2009, 10:06 AM
All I have to say is this, we better win.

ensco
05-03-2009, 10:15 AM
From an economic point of view, TFC is more motivated by these CC games than by league games.

Play well in 30 MLS games, and you're guaranteed one home playoff game.

Play well in 4 CC games, and you're guaranteed one CC home game.

You get the same potential reward from far fewer games in CC, so it's worth taking very seriously.

Plus it's embarassing to lose to these teams.

They'll play the best XI Wednesday

RicoSuave44
05-03-2009, 06:19 PM
^^^^^ Add to that the fact that TFC doesn't have to share any gate revenue with MLS for the the NCC and CCL matches. I don't think so anyway

ensco
05-03-2009, 06:22 PM
^^^^^ Add to that the fact that TFC doesn't have to share any gate revenue with MLS for the the NCC and CCL matches. I don't think so anyway

I forgot about that. Great point!

T_Mizz
05-03-2009, 06:56 PM
you could say the same for Edwards?? Frei should still be it as this
might be considered an important game.....
Frei
Wynne......Serioux........Velez......Attakora-Gyan
Cronin........Robinson
Guevara.....Ricketts.......
Barrett.....Vitti.......Ibby

Subs....Edwards....Harmse...Brennan...Dichio....De Ro...
or we can field an 11 man team as per the laws of the game :D

twistedchinaman
05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Last five games:

Vancouver: DLDWW
TFC: DLWWD

Hot and cold for us and them, it's probably about who's gonna be the one who finds the spark. Vancouver though...Martin Nash will be the one. He's burned us once, let's not let him do it again.

Super
05-03-2009, 07:17 PM
So we're both undefeated in 3.

Either way, we should slaughter them at home. Not just because we're MLS and they are USL, but because we will have a stadium full of people wanting revenge.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
cant wait....t'll weds.....8:00pm start :)

Pre game at joe's ???

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
or we can field an 11 man team as per the laws of the game :D

oops....:o

mastermixer
05-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Sutton needs some work, we will need him some time this year. Lots of games, short period of time, night game, probably cool. This is a good time to rest Frei, and not risk injury. Lets be realistic Sutton will probably be #1 again, maybe next year. We all know Frei will be on to bigger and better things. Mo, just don't sell him to Rangers.

sad but true :(

Hustle
05-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Yes, Frei could be gone next year, so lets use him every chance we can now.

SteeltownBhoy
05-03-2009, 09:26 PM
How much do you think Mo and MLS could PIMP Frei out for????

Keepers are worth there weight in gold I assume.

Jesus maybe we can get enough for GRASS AND A ROOF. (note biting sarcasm)

FluSH
05-03-2009, 09:36 PM
From an economic point of view, TFC is more motivated by these CC games than by league games.

Play well in 30 MLS games, and you're guaranteed one home playoff game.

Play well in 4 CC games, and you're guaranteed one CC home game.

Exactly... and can you imagine a team like Club America, Atlas, or Saprissa coming to BMO Field for one of these tourney games... There wouldn't be enough room in 104/105 for their supporters... I mean they would have to have seating in the Beer Garden.

SteeltownBhoy
05-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Because the CCL spot is assigned by the CSA, you can't tell me that they would not get a share of any home game gate. And while you would not think MLS would be entitled to any money, who knows!!!! What if TFC made the World Cub Championship???? If they won any prize money would CONCACAF and Warner get his money grubbing hands on it??
Inquiring minds want to know.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-03-2009, 09:53 PM
prob a stupid question but does anyone know if thisll have a live feed or whatever.
Itll be on at 7 am here and im willing to get up and watch it but itd be a bitch if i got up and it wasnt available...

Jeffro
05-04-2009, 02:06 AM

I'd like to see

-------------Sutton
-------------Vitti

Nice line up. Not sure about Nana on the left though...

Cashcleaner
05-04-2009, 02:17 AM
I think Cummins is going to field the 1st stringers and sub out the heavy hitters like Guevara and Dichio over the course of the game in favour for some playing time for the younger guys. There's no doubt in my mind that Cummins is going to push for a very aggressive first-half attack and defend the early lead.

Redcoe15
05-04-2009, 07:01 AM
MUST---KILL---VANCOUVER :scarf:

Yohan
05-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Nice line up. Not sure about Nana on the left though...
gotta train someone to provide cover for Jimmy B on left... Nana seems to be versatile defender.

I suppose there's Gala, but we really haven't seen much of him to judge

Oldtimer
05-04-2009, 07:37 AM
I would use Sutton for the Voyageurs Cup games, because as a Canadian, he understands how important it is to beat Vancouver and Montreal. It seems like the Americans and other foreigners on our team don't seem to understand the depth of meaning those games have for us. It's not a "friendly" by any means.

For a similar reason I would use Harmse ahead of Velez, even though Velez is playing better this year.

Steve
05-04-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm thinking this lineup:

-------------Sutton-------------
-Wynne--Harmse-Serioux-Brennan
------Robinson----Cronin---------
-------------DeRo---------------
---Vitti------Dichio------Barrett--

This gives guys like Sutton and Harmse a chance to play and get back in the lineup. Since I don't see either as a huge downgrade from our starters, I don't see it as playing second stringers. Additionally, they are Canadian, so might have more pride to play for. (edit: haha Oldtimer just beat me to the exact same conclusion!)

Guevara I can see starting on the bench. I don't see him being up for the Canadian Championships as much for some reason (don't ask me why) and he could use a midweek break. By sitting Guevara, we get a chance to see our 4-3-3 with DeRo as the midfield general, which I'd like to see. Since DeRo is Canadian, and Guevara might not be as up for it, we can make this change without hurting Guevara's feelings (which I think would ruin him as a player for us).

Depending on how the first half goes, these are the subs I want to see:

TFC is Losing, playing through the middle is working but we haven't put one away yet: Guevara comes on for Robinson or Cronin. Switch to a 4-1-2-3 (instead of 4-2-1-3)

TFC is losing, we're getting choked out in the middle: Ricketts for Dichio. Ricketts pushes out to the right, Barrett to the left, DeRo plays withdrawn striker behind Vitti.

TFC Winning by 1: Like for like to get fresh legs on if needed. Velez for DeRo in the closing minutes, which pushes Harmse up to top of the mid. Keep Dichio/Vitti/Barrett on if their legs can handle it, as all contribute hugely to the defense.

TFC winning by more than 1: Ricketts on for Dichio, Ibby on for Barrett. Dichio needs to be out to rest him, Barrett same, and since Barrett has scored twice this year, no point in keeping him on to get a confidence goal. Keep Vitti out because he needs to pop his cherry. Move to a 4-4-2 cup formation with Ricketts and Ibby on the wings, DeRo and Vitti up top.

There we go, an entire game guide ;)

Nuvinho
05-04-2009, 07:50 AM

I'd like to see

-------------Sutton
-------------Vitti

I like this lineup, but Nana won't be playing LB it will either be Gala or Brennan.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-04-2009, 08:19 AM
I think the entire starting lineup is a toss up! Who knows how Cummins is gonna pull this one off....

trane
05-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I think he will still start in the 4-3-3, he said that he took Dichio off, partly to rest him up for the mid-week game, so I would expect him to be at the top of the trident, De Ro is the question for me, will he start and if he starts will he play in Barrett's spot of Guevara's. I expect to see more of Rickhetts if Cummins decides he needs widers play, Rohan but some good crosses into the box, and may be coming around. I have to say it is good to have 12 players ( keepers excluded) in form it gives us alot of options and Cumminns, so far, has proven to know how to use them.

Oldtimer
05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
USL table is here:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=1556

Vancouver is in 2nd, and may prove the more difficult opponent. MTL is 10th, although they may be choosing to concentrate on the CL instead of league play.

Super
05-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Montreal also played 3 game vs. Vancouver's 5. Vancouver won 2, drew 2 and lost 1. Not exactly on fire.

ensco
05-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Last year, at the time the CL games were played, the position of Montreal and Vancouver was very similar. Montreal winning both CL games against them was pretty surprising.

menefreghista
05-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Montreal also played 3 game vs. Vancouver's 5. Vancouver won 2, drew 2 and lost 1. Not exactly on fire.

Vancouver's two wins are their two most recent games though.

ensco
05-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Exactly... and can you imagine a team like Club America, Atlas, or Saprissa coming to BMO Field for one of these tourney games... There wouldn't be enough room in 104/105 for their supporters... I mean they would have to have seating in the Beer Garden.

Man, if the date landed right, and they were able to come in numbers....seeing the travelling support for a big Mexican team would be something else.

trane
05-04-2009, 11:20 AM
If I was Montreal and Vancouve while doing well in the USL would be important, winning the CL spot is just HUGE. They will be up for these games.

Don Julio
05-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Velez played in USL and will be more familiar with the players.

Both our home games are early and we need the 6 pts. Take no chances and field the best line up possible.

Red CB Toronto
05-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I am curious, is Tyler Rosenlund still with Vancouver, I know he was there at somepoint, around the time Jeff Park joined the club.

MFBODD
05-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Man, if the date landed right, and they were able to come in numbers....seeing the travelling support for a big Mexican team would be something else.

As long as they aren't under quarantine and can't make it to the stadium. That isn't meant to be a shot, but the way things are going these days...

AdamZ
05-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I won't lie, I'm nervous about the game. I like the starting lineup posted a little earlier in this thread.

Don Julio
05-04-2009, 02:22 PM
As long as they aren't under quarantine and can't make it to the stadium. That isn't meant to be a shot, but the way things are going these days...

We definitely need a surgical mask tifo if we have visiting Mexicans!

Stouffville_RPB
05-04-2009, 02:27 PM

Well they aren't getting my seat FluSH

TFCinVANCOUVER
05-04-2009, 07:26 PM
I really hope they play frei!!
We should come out with a win for this game or atleast I hope we do!!
I'm heading down to the whitcaps supporter pub in downtown Vancity and I would love to start the chanting after the win!

and if we don't..........Well I'll still rep Toronto no matter what they say to me!! lolol

:drum::scarf::flare:

rocker
05-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I am curious, is Tyler Rosenlund still with Vancouver, I know he was there at somepoint, around the time Jeff Park joined the club.

rosenlund is gone from the Caps

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I would use Sutton for the Voyageurs Cup games, because as a Canadian, he understands how important it is to beat Vancouver and Montreal. It seems like the Americans and other foreigners on our team don't seem to understand the depth of meaning those games have for us. It's not a "friendly" by any means.

For a similar reason I would use Harmse ahead of Velez, even though Velez is playing better this year.

If we play more Canadians and get beat then what? Use the best possible line up...the two prior to the Columbus game and see what
happens.:scarf:

Redpunkfiddle
05-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Hmmm.... clearly we don't have a lot of intel on the opponent. There is Nash, Gbeke, Parke, and that keeper who stonewalled us last time.

trane
05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
They only have three forwards, and many Mids and Defenders, so they will be playing some sort of 4-5-1-, 5-4-1, or 5-3-2, no matter how you cut it will be a defensive system. Our 4-3-3 may put alot of presure on their backs, but we may need to pull the in the hole strikers ( Vitti/Barrett/De Ro) back to help control the midfiled.
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/men/roster/default.aspx?sortfield=custom-attributes/PositionSort

Technorgasm
05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
We need to start this off with a WIN.
The only differences I think we will see until this formation tomorrow breaks down to the who is subbed in, and if Dero starts, otherwise. . .

Personally, these games are more important than the league.. theere I said it. . .

"WHAT IS OUR STRONGEST STARTING 11?

you know it, I know it:

============ FREI==============

WYNNE == SERIOUX == VELEZ == BRENNAN

=========== ROBINSON ==========
AMADO ==================== DERO

===== BARRET = DICHIO = VITTI =====

Cronin will likely start if Dero is not fit.
or
Dero will be subbed in for Dichio if he is not to play full 90

Ibby: Sub for Forward
Rickets: Sub for Mid

Super
05-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Yes, we need to take this tournament VERY seriously. Using our very best ammo for this game may very likely hurt us on Saturday against DC, but if we drop the ball on this game we may end up in a similar situation as last year where we're forced to win our away games in Montreal and Vancouver to have a chance.

This is a MUST WIN!

Looks like no rain, so I hope we'll finally see a full stadium in full force.

Nuvinho
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Looks like no rain, so I hope we'll finally see a full stadium in full force.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........don't jinx it, its Toronto Weather, it changes daily.

trane
05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
We need to start this off with a WIN.
The only differences I think we will see until this formation tomorrow breaks down to the who is subbed in, and if Dero starts, otherwise. . .

Personally, these games are more important than the league.. theere I said it. . .

"WHAT IS OUR STRONGEST STARTING 11?

you know it, I know it:

WYNNE == SERIOUX == VELEZ == BRENNAN

AMADO ==================== DERO

===== BARRET = DICHIO = VITTI =====

Cronin will likely start if Dero is not fit.
or
Dero will be subbed in for Dichio if he is not to play full 90

Ibby: Sub for Forward
Rickets: Sub for Mid

Usualy I would prefer that we play with two defensive mids, and I would in this game as well, but as it seems they will play a more defensive system, just due to their lack of out and out forwards, I would not be against the line up you suggest, but I would play De Ro and Guevara more cetral and puch Barret and Vitti more back and toward the wing not out and out wingeres but back and on the side of their box.

The other thing, which I have been thinking about for a while, while I am very against three at the back in principal, our strongets eleven players, are Frei, Wynne, Serioux, Brennan, Cronin, Robbo, Guevarra, De Ro, Barret, Vitti and Dichio. Which creates a problem of sorts, at it means playing 3-4-3 or a 3-3-3-1, 3-5-1-1 or some over formation of sorts, but the 4-3-3 as played has realy worked and it should be the starting block from which we duild on.

---Wynne------Serioux--------Brennan----
---------Cronin--------Robinson----------
----------------Guevara-----------------
--Barret--------De Ro------------Vitti---
----------------Dichio-----------------

I would be worried about the back, I am not exepcting to see it, but this is our best 11, frei included,on the field. It would also severly limit how much Wynne and Brenan could come forward.

Pachuco
05-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Fuck playing these mickey mouse lineups. I agrew with Technorgasm, we need to play our strongest 11. We don't let up on the first game of the Canada Cup, we let up when we've got the Canada Cup all but signed, sealed delivered. If we have a decent lead in the second half against Vancouver THEN you can let up. It would be incredibly embarrasing for TFC to not win the cup again this year.

And how exactly does playing Harmse and Sutton make us better? because they are Canadians? who cares, Velez and Frei have shown that they are #1s in that position, so why cripple ourselves (particuarly with Harmse)?

This is an important game boys, we need to absolutely crush Vancouver and make a statement. We cannot give these guys an ounce of confidence as we'll be playing them away next.

olegunnar
05-05-2009, 10:35 AM
I can't imagine we'd play a watered down side in these 2 home games.

Maybe after we get 6 points from the home games we'll coast to the finsih line but it's imperative we get max points at home.

rocker
05-05-2009, 10:38 AM
i'm not sure I agree with the statement expressed earlier in this thread and elsewhere that internationals don't take this tourney as seriously as Canadians, and thus Canadians should play (even if they are currently not in the typical starting 11).
I saw no indication last year that the internationals played less hard in the CC games.

I mean, Velez, Edu, and Ricketts all scored goals, and an argument could be made some of those internationals/americans played better than some of the Canadians involved. Ricketts was particularly good against Vancouver in Vancouver.

Pachuco
05-05-2009, 10:41 AM
i'm not sure I agree with the statement expressed earlier in this thread and elsewhere that internationals don't take this tourney as seriously as Canadians, and thus Canadians should play (even if they are currently not in the typical starting 11).
I saw no indication last year that the internationals played less hard in the CC games.

I mean, Velez, Edu, and Ricketts all scored goals, and an argument could be made some of those internationals/americans played better than some of the Canadians involved. Ricketts was particularly good against Vancouver in Vancouver.

Yeap, completely agree with you. It's silly to think that Harmse and Sutton are going to play harder then Velez and Frei just because they are Canadians.

mastermixer
05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeap, completely agree with you. It's silly to think that Harmse and Sutton are going to play harder then Velez and Frei just because they are Canadians.

does ronaldo let up just cause he plays for Man U? After I saw that goal in the champions leauge a couple of weeks ago I think not.

Technorgasm
05-05-2009, 11:14 AM
This is an important game boys, we need to absolutely crush Vancouver and make a statement. We cannot give these guys an ounce of confidence as we'll be playing them away next.

This is what IM talkin bout!!

this is TFC's Chance at International football.
Living the dream as it were.

Legacy's are defined by this.
not to mention that MONTREAL have won this every year it has existed.

If that is not motivation enough to put these games as the utmost of importance for theyear I dont know what is.

Said it once, voted, and will say it again.
Fuck the league, I want this WAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAYYY MORE. :flare:

======= SERIOUX == VELEZ ========

WYNNE ================= BRENNAN

======== AMADO ===== DERO ======

BARRET ======== DICHIO ======VITTI

Like this?

billyfly
05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Cut the chit chat. I WANT a win.

trane
05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Techno that looks good, Guevarra and De Ro should have enough class to control the midfield on thier own.

yeah,

I want this WAAAAQAAAY more too.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-05-2009, 11:41 AM
i dont see us sacrificing our defense which is already crap

Yohan
05-05-2009, 11:43 AM
best defence is best offence?

trane
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
OMY,

Are you talking one DM instead of two? If so I generaly agree, except it would seem that they will play such a defensive formation that we may have to make that kind of adjoustment. But I think that the Cronin and Robbo duo have been a key to our recent form, no doubt.

But if I was the manager, I would alwasy start with 4-2 at the back, but I am not, and I can see some advantage in coming out blasing at home, agaisnt a team that suold be weaker then you tallent wise. (on paper at least)

FluSH
05-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know if a pre-game analysis has been released for this? I want to see what their possible Starting XI looks like...

DOMIN8R
05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
None yet.

Nazzer
05-05-2009, 02:01 PM
They only have three forwards, and many Mids and Defenders, so they will be playing some sort of 4-5-1-, 5-4-1, or 5-3-2, no matter how you cut it will be a defensive system. Our 4-3-3 may put alot of presure on their backs, but we may need to pull the in the hole strikers ( Vitti/Barrett/De Ro) back to help control the midfiled.
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/men/roster/default.aspx?sortfield=custom-attributes/PositionSort

I've only watched two Caps games this year, but they've played 4-4-2 with Haber and Gbeke up front both times.

jloome
05-05-2009, 02:09 PM
The 433 was designed to clog the middle but still allow two attacking forwards to wreak havoc by drifting both wide and inside.

Given that Vancouver will play direct football with full-field pressure, as all USL teams do, it's the ideal formation to keep, because our six defensive players have outlet options all over the place: the two wide attackers, the target man or the creative midfielder.

Additionally, with no space in the middle from which to feed strikers, Vancouver will rely on the cross, and with a reasonably flat-back four (as our backs tend to play more conservatively without constant winger support), they'll have trouble getting them in.

We shouldn't change a thing, except perhaps bringing in DeRo for Barrett or Guevara (I'd say the latter, given that, while generally not that good at it, DeRo plays both ways and needs a start coming off injury.)

rocker
05-05-2009, 03:45 PM
i wonder if we'll see the Reda Dance on Wednesday night.

Man, in season 1 Marco Reda called for so many offside calls and never got em. ugh...and he was the man behind a bunch of goals against with his shit positioning.

TFCmatty
05-05-2009, 04:36 PM
press conference online @ torontofc.ca

FluSH
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
press conference online @ torontofc.ca

I'm watching this right now... and Chris is very professional. I know he can be a joker cause I've read some of his comments and jokes during the Carver days... but it looks like he is quite comfortable behind the mic.

dinminister
05-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm thinking this lineup:

-------------Sutton-------------
-Wynne--Harmse-Serioux-Brennan
------Robinson----Cronin---------
-------------DeRo---------------
---Vitti------Dichio------Barrett--

i think its perfect, except Frei for Sutton

Redpunkfiddle
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Great to hear some insight on Vancouver here.

On another note- I am pumped for pressure of a four game tournement with so much at stake. Last year's crushing disappointment had only one benefit- to make us hungry for success here with more edge knowing that it will never be a walkover.

Can't wait to hear the FIFA theme, the FIFA sanctioned stadium announcer... totally plugs me into the fact that this is the road to national pride and continental glory. Oh yeah.

s2cazz
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
are you sure sportsnet is showing this game?
they are showing baseball right now and i beleive it the top of the third

menefreghista
05-05-2009, 06:52 PM
are you sure sportsnet is showing this game?
they are showing baseball right now and i beleive it the top of the third

The game is tomorrow....

s2cazz
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm retarded i thought it was tonight

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-05-2009, 06:55 PM
The game is tomorrow....

but baseball is on before that...extra innings and no footie or at least joined in action.....:scarf:

SilverSamurai
05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I just want this game to be on streamed online.
I will gladly stay up till 2am (since im currently in Germany) to watch my beloved TFC!!

MG42
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
http://www.whitecapsfc.com/fanzone/galleries/photos/do_not_publish/images/6495/320x225.aspx

We better keep an eye on this guy, Marlon James.

I just read on the whitecaps site that he was named USL player of the week.

He scored a hat trick in his first appearance for them.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature05050901.aspx

s2cazz
05-05-2009, 07:29 PM
the team he scored the hat trick on didn't have Serioux!

themodelcitizen
05-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Game preview up at ASN (http://tfc.american-soccer-news.com/):

Recent Canadian additions like Adrian Serioux and Dwayne De Rosario will need little motivation against former club and international teammates like Martin Nash and Charles Gbeke. Former Red Marco Reda and young Canadian talent Marcus Haber round out an impressive Whitecaps roster.

rocker
05-05-2009, 07:45 PM
"Marco Reda" and "impressive" should never be in the same sentence.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
OMY,

Are you talking one DM instead of two? If so I generaly agree, except it would seem that they will play such a defensive formation that we may have to make that kind of adjoustment. But I think that the Cronin and Robbo duo have been a key to our recent form, no doubt.

I am indeed and i agree

We shouldn't change a thing, except perhaps bringing in DeRo for Barrett or Guevara (I'd say the latter, given that, while generally not that good at it, DeRo plays both ways and needs a start coming off injury.)

this is pretty much how i feel

jloome
05-05-2009, 09:36 PM
the team he scored the hat trick on didn't have Serioux!

Hope that's true. I don't care what level of leagues he played in, he's scored shitloads in every one of them. Scorers are scorers. He'll be dangerous.

ExiledRed
05-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Cut the chit chat. I WANT a win.

I want retribution. http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w180/ExiledRed/ror1.gif

Shway
05-05-2009, 11:07 PM
ExileRed change your avatar to a little more Arsenal friendly - MOD

NateDoGG
05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
D Dichio will score a brace!!!!
anyways, im soooo pumped for this game, goin to grab a 6pack just b4 the match :D
CMON U REDS!!!
DICHIO FOR MVP!!!!!!

Azzurri86
05-05-2009, 11:50 PM
but baseball is on before that...extra innings and no footie or at least joined in action.....:scarf:

Jays are on the west coast... TFC vs. Vancouver first... Jays Angels second

Ossington Mental Youth
05-06-2009, 12:30 AM
still noone knows if this is going to have a stream do they?
its at 7 am and id be mighty sad/pissed to findout there isnt one

ilikemusic
05-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Woah woah woah!!

On the TFC intro page (that red one that comes up before you get to the actual main TFC site), it says tomorrow's game will be on Sportsnet HD.

Will it actually be broadcast in HD?

:drool5:

tlear
05-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Game day!!!

nascarguy
05-06-2009, 06:40 AM
6 pm13°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/e.gifVariable cloudiness
7 pm14°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/e.gifVariable cloudiness
8 pm14°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/en.gifVariable cloudiness
9 pm13°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/en.gifVariable cloudiness
10 pm11°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/en.gifVariable cloudiness

Nuvinho
05-06-2009, 07:39 AM
6 pm13°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/e.gifVariable cloudiness
7 pm14°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/e.gifVariable cloudiness
8 pm14°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/en.gifVariable cloudiness
9 pm13°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/en.gifVariable cloudiness
10 pm11°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/en.gifVariable cloudiness

I checked that last night and early this morning....for some reason I still can't believe the weather network. *shakes fists* Damn you weather network, you have let me down before.

Waggy
05-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Ya, weather network is SHITE. A few years ago I wokred at a golf course, and had to check the weather every morning before work. I'll never forget the 100% chance of rain (becuase when do you EVER see 100%?!), that turned into the nicest day of the summer. useless tits. I stick with the ole hand out the window method, and it feeeels good. COME ON YOU REEEDDDSSS!!!

maninb
05-06-2009, 08:53 AM
It's my 50th today...going with 7 mates to the game(most of whom have never been to a TFC match before)...plenty of pints beforehand...COME ON YOU REDS!!!

Mojo
05-06-2009, 09:04 AM
11 pm 11°C http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/wicons/m.gif Cloudy with showers
11pm is when rain starts... were cutting it close :)

rocker
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
hundreds of tickets are available for this game on the STH's Ticket Exchange...
somebody has 22 seats in a row up... in section 126.

some seats in 113 and 111 too.

Nuvinho
05-06-2009, 09:11 AM
hundreds of tickets are available for this game on the STH's Ticket Exchange...
somebody has 22 seats in a row up... in section 126.

some seats in 113 and 111 too.

Yeah, I saw tonnes this morning.

Yohan
05-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Allez TFC
Allez, Allez, it's too late here we come
Allez, Allez, we've got you on the run
Allez, Allez, it's too late here we come,
Allez, Allez, we've got you on the run

La_La_Laaa Laa_La_La_La
La_La_Laaa Laa_La_La_La
La_La_Laaa Laa_La_La_La
La_La_Laaa Laa_La_La_La

Game day! Time to crush the Shitecaps :D

trane
05-06-2009, 09:40 AM
The 433 was designed to clog the middle but still allow two attacking forwards to wreak havoc by drifting both wide and inside.

Given that Vancouver will play direct football with full-field pressure, as all USL teams do, it's the ideal formation to keep, because our six defensive players have outlet options all over the place: the two wide attackers, the target man or the creative midfielder.

Additionally, with no space in the middle from which to feed strikers, Vancouver will rely on the cross, and with a reasonably flat-back four (as our backs tend to play more conservatively without constant winger support), they'll have trouble getting them in.

I do not mind starting De Ro over Guevara, as Guevara is going to be needed and has been putting alot minutes in the past two weeks. I agree with keeping the 4-3-3, the outside srtiker just need to make sure to be available to help the mids out, in case of numerical usperiority in the mid by Vancouver. But my assessemnt was based on them playing 4-5-1, but people who have seen them say they play a 4-4-2, maybe some of the players idendtifed as Mids, play as in the hole strikers.

Brooker
05-06-2009, 10:03 AM
It's my 50th today...going with 7 mates to the game(most of whom have never been to a TFC match before)...plenty of pints beforehand...COME ON YOU REDS!!!

happy birthday dude.... and COME ON YOU REDS!!!! :flare:

Technorgasm
05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
KNOW YOUR ENEMY:

WC Keeper: JAY NOLLY

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05dJaD9fzj0J0/340x.jpg

CAPTAIN: MARTIN NASH: (eeee awww! fuckin donkey)

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/mediaUS/20080403/nash_200.jpg

(the only player to hit the ground INFRONT of the goal on a PK. . . .and still score the winner - what a freakin Donkey! - cant wait to drink beer out of your hollowed out skull )

Fuuuuu[< off Junkie Martin Nash
on Hastings selling B-js for a bit of cash
your nose is packed with blow
give your team the reach around
But Jimmy B is gonna pound you into the ground!
:flare:TFC! TFC! TFC! :flare:

CanadaLFC
05-06-2009, 10:45 AM
There's about 180 postings on the ticket exchange and some users have two seats for sale, so there's well over 250 seats that can be bought for tonight.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-06-2009, 10:48 AM
:drum::drum::drum::drum::drum::drum:

There's only one Lenarduzzi
There's only one Lenarduzzi
With a pocket of sweets
A cheeky smile
Bobby is a fucking phedofile!

:drum::drum::drum::drum::drum::drum:

Ossington Mental Youth
05-06-2009, 10:49 AM
God i wish i could go to this

rocker
05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I wonder if Steve Nash will be there... his Suns didn't make the NBA playoffs so he has nothing else to do.

Steve
05-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Honestly, I'm not that big on the 4-1-2-3 I've seen posted a few times in this thread. I mean, I understand wanted Guevara and DeRo side by side, but that would be taking away a huge strength of the 4-2-1-3.

With our current 4-2-1-3, the two defensive midfielders solidify the back line, and the midfield a lot. The don't give the opposition the chance to build through the middle, they give our defense plenty of outlets (instead of the "just kick it and hope" strategy we've always favoured) and they allow Brennan and Wynne to make dangerous attacking runs without exposing ourselves (I don't know about you guys, but I lost count of the number of times Cronin picked up the runner and slotted in for Wynne after a failed attack). With the players we have, I just think we need that solidifying presence in front of our CBs to make the opponent work for their goals. Now, if we got a star CB to play beside Serioux, I would be much more comfortable with moving to a 4-1-2-3 formation at times (though I still think I prefer the 4-2-1-3).

As for putting in Harmse and Sutton, there is method to my madness.

Sutton: This gives Frei a game off. Not that he necessarily needs it, but with 5 games in 14 days, it might be nice for him to sit out. Of course, the main reason I want Sutton in is because of the way I think we need to play, and the way Vancouver will play. USL teams tend to lack the creative flair to attack through the middle effectively. Since we will also be clogging the mid with defensive midfielders, I don't see their attack really getting through that much. Which leaves us with attack down the flanks. I think this will be their bread and butter, a winger will run down, beat Brennan (who, let's be honest, hasn't been stellar of late) or Wynne (who might be out of place from an attack) and try to get a Cross in. Rinse, repeat.

Now, if I could be critical of one aspect of Frei's game, it would be commanding his box. He can come out when he shouldn't, and stay in when he should (relying on his phenomenal shot stopping). Added to this, he just doesn't have the height that Sutton does. Don't get me wrong, I think it's just a rookie thing (reading crosses correctly), but I would give the edge to Sutton on this one (When Sutton is in, he comes out for a lot more crosses, and he comes away with them). The other thing to consider is distribution. For this, I would rather play a build from the back game (rather than a long ball up the field game) since we should be able to edge them out in ball control through the midfield. Because of this, Frei's distribution won't have the same impact it would on other games.

Now, as far as Harmse, I just think Velez needs a rest, and Harmse needs another run out. Again, we're playing a lot of games in a little time, if we keep playing games without understanding that, we might run out of players (or have all of our players exhausted at the same time). Harmse I do not see as much (if at all) of a downgrade to Velez (remember, Velez came in with the 4-3-3, how much is him, how much is the formation? Did you see the embaressing off-side wave last game?). Guevara is the same, sit him, play DeRo, have a fresh Guevara for this weekend (and next Wed, which is just as important to this cup).

rocker
05-06-2009, 11:51 AM
The other thing to consider is distribution. For this, I would rather play a build from the back game (rather than a long ball up the field game) since we should be able to edge them out in ball control through the midfield. Because of this, Frei's distribution won't have the same impact it would on other games.

Sutton rarely distributes to the back. He usually just kicks it upfield to the opposition. Not sure why this is a negative on Frei. If the gameplan is to distribute to the back, then Frei can do that better than Sutton (last year Sutts had some howlers where balls to the defense were intercepted).

I also don't think Sutton commands the box as much as you think. I think he's very hesitant about coming out and taking charge at times. If the ball is right at his head on a corner, he'll grab it above the heads, of course. Sutton is also weaker than Frei on low balls.

I'm not big on the whole "rest them now" thing. I'd play it game by game. Go with the best lineup for the current game at hand, and judge whether guys need rest as of the next match.
If Frei is tired after tonight, bring in Sutts for the next match. If Velez is tired after tonight, then rest him for the next match.

Steve
05-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Sutton rarely distributes to the back. He usually just kicks it upfield to the opposition. Not sure why this is a negative on Frei. If the gameplan is to distribute to the back, then Frei can do that better than Sutton (last year Sutts had some howlers where balls to the defense were intercepted).

I also don't think Sutton commands the box as much as you think. I think he's very hesitant about coming out and taking charge at times. If the ball is right at his head on a corner, he'll grab it above the heads, of course. Sutton is also weaker than Frei on low balls.

I'm not big on the whole "rest them now" thing. I'd play it game by game. Go with the best lineup for the current game at hand, and judge whether guys need rest as of the next match.
If Frei is tired after tonight, bring in Sutts for the next match. If Velez is tired after tonight, then rest him for the next match.

I wasn't saying the second point was a negative, only that they were more equal (sutton was terrible at the long kick, but if he was told to distribute it short, I'm sure he was).

As to your second point, I guess I just have to disagree. Sutton came out for MANY more crosses than Frei ever has. He's big, and isn't afraid to go through people. Frei just doesn't yet. I still think he's a great keeper, and probably should be starting most games, I just think Sutton has a sizable edge on controlling crosses into the box, so I think strategically, the right play is Sutton for this tourney.

forza_tfc
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Anyone know if this game will be streamed online? I'm dying to watch it down here in the US.

Krasno.pL.
05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Ive had that problem for ages... going through people.. coming out for right crosses and staying in for ones i should come out for.. its all in your mind. hes psyched out to make a mental mistake. thats why he stays. when he goes.. he cant stop and go back or its a goal. his decision makin will improve. and hes not 6"6 like sutts is.
Frei is going to be EPL material soon enough.

Oldtimer
05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
It will be very important for Toronto to score an early goal. If the WC's players are excited by playing at BMO, we need to deflate that excitement a bit.

Steve
05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Ive had that problem for ages... going through people.. coming out for right crosses and staying in for ones i should come out for.. its all in your mind. hes psyched out to make a mental mistake. thats why he stays. when he goes.. he cant stop and go back or its a goal. his decision makin will improve. and hes not 6"6 like sutts is.
Frei is going to be EPL material soon enough.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I absolutely think that Frei is going to be brilliant, and probably go on to bigger and better things. I also understand it's completely an experience thing (he'll learn how to read them better). I was just saying, at this time, Sutton is still better than Frei at that aspect, and if we're playing a team that will rely heavily (or exclusively) on crosses into the box to score, Sutton may be the better choice.

Shway
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
KNOW YOUR ENEMY:

CAPTAIN: MARTIN NASH: (eeee awww! fuckin donkey)

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/mediaUS/20080403/nash_200.jpg

(the only player to hit the ground INFRONT of the goal on a PK. . . .and still score the winner - what a freakin Donkey! - cant wait to drink beer out of your hollowed out skull )

:flare:TFC! TFC! TFC! :flare:

thats why there is CARL ROBINSON!!!!

ROBIN-SON-SON-SON
HES BETTER THAN EVERYONE
ROBIN-SON-SON-SON
HES OUR MIDFIELD TATICIAN
TO THE LEFT, TO THE RIGHT
TO THE WINDMILL MOVE TONIGHT
HE IS CLASS, NEVER LAST
AND HE SHITS ON MARTIN NASH!!!!

T-Bird
05-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Spotted possible Whitecap fans at King and Yonge today...one was wearing a large tin foil barbarianesque hat and was draped in a huge flag...there were a few other equally oddly dressed...not positive if they are from Vancouver..is there some other major sporting event happening tonight in Toronto?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Spotted possible Whitecap fans at King and Yonge today...one was wearing a large tin foil barbarianesque hat and was draped in a huge flag...there were a few other equally oddly dressed...not positive if they are from Vancouver..is there some other major sporting event happening tonight in Toronto?

did one happen to have a BERT DOLL:rofl:

BuSaPuNk
05-06-2009, 01:50 PM
^ I can accually get one from work!! It's really small though only a hand puppet.

Miko
05-06-2009, 02:33 PM
did one happen to have a BERT DOLL:rofl:

I so have to watch that vid again on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y9VzvTaf50

colman1860
05-06-2009, 02:50 PM
http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/time-for-revenge.html

Game preview with a lineup poll - I welcome constructive criticism and flame wars!

CDNSoccerFan
05-06-2009, 03:10 PM
lines for today's game

Toronto -133
Draw +220
Vancouver +320

TFC USA
05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Anyone know if this game will be streamed?

Krasno.pL.
05-06-2009, 04:15 PM
havent found one yet :(

TFC USA
05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Jesus christ Sportsnet this should be streamed like you did for the WCQ!!!!

Asshats.

RedWookie
05-06-2009, 04:54 PM
havent found one yet :(

let us know if you find one please.
:scarf:

ricciboy
05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
looks like a good starting 11:scarf:

lets cheer them on all game:flare::drum::scarf:

zeelaw
05-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Just so you guys know... I'm hosting na Livechat for tonights game on my blog

http://www.thesubsbench.ca/?p=1058

feel free to stop bye

Lennon
05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
lines for today's game

Toronto -133
Draw +220
Vancouver +320

Where did you find that? Only line for this game I can find is on pinny ...

BTW Toronto is too short imo ... fwiw

S_D
05-06-2009, 07:01 PM
for those of you stuck at home and battling the wife over america's top model :puke: and TFC :flare:

found this on the voyageurs forum:
http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=19352 (http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19352)

Should be on here:

http://www.justin.tv/morbital (http://www.justin.tv/morbital)

tml
05-06-2009, 07:04 PM
is there anyone in the stands....looks like a ghost town!!

TFC USA
05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Decent stream.....if anyone has a better one then share it!

zeelaw
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.thesubsbench.ca/?p=1058
Live-Chat for all of those who couldn't make it to BMO

TFC USA
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Attakora. Interesting.

Lennon
05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
And Harmse :incazzato:

tml
05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
1-0 harmse

Lennon
05-06-2009, 07:12 PM

LOL

:scarf:

Super Cereal
05-06-2009, 07:13 PM
lmfao

tml
05-06-2009, 07:13 PM
hey how come the game is not in HD???

Inswingingwingman
05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
MLSE has to put that in as a requirement for next year. Frick the poker game before this is HD the show after is HD but they try and cover the game with 2 cameras retired from City TV in 1980.

Inswingingwingman
05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Wow Chad shoulda had that.

Should be 2 nil.

Nazzer
05-06-2009, 07:17 PM
that should have been a penalty on arze there in the box

tml
05-06-2009, 07:39 PM
MLSE has to put that in as a requirement for next year. Frick the poker game before this is HD the show after is HD but they try and cover the game with 2 cameras retired from City TV in 1980.

I thought it's the station that's responsible for which cameras they use

Inswingingwingman
05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Like when MLSE gives out the contract for TV they can't put in it that we hear the anthems and what type of coverage. Horse Hockey. In the case of the leafs they control the whole production.

This game should be 2 or 3 nil. 1 nil is a nail biter. One bad bounce or give away or call and its a tie. As bad as Chelsea today.

SilverSamurai
05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
HAHA!
LOL Thats friggin funny

tml
05-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Chad was horrible on that breakaway!!!! POOR STRIKE!!!!!

napoli73
05-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I think Vitti and Barrett need to switch positions

DinamoTFC
05-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Barret is fucking useless, so frustrating to watch him.