PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Schedule

Batman
05-03-2009, 08:09 AM
I just looked at the standings and realised that as of right now NE has played 5 games to our 8, and only 1 home game so far to our 5.

It will modify a bit today as they have a home game this afternoon, but it sure is strange to have a 4 home game difference (3 after today's) in a schedule.

It's also significant that we've picked up only 8 of 15 possible points at home.

Carts
05-03-2009, 08:15 AM
In a 30-game schedule to have a few more/less between teams at this time of the year is normal...

If it gets to the point that one team has played 28-games, and another 22-games - then you have a problem - for a few reasons... But for now, it happens...

The points at home, definitely concerning as we have never been (only 2 years I know) a strong road squad...

Carts...

dcdcdc
05-03-2009, 09:06 AM
There are definitely some unbalanced schedules out there, if you look at Houston, for example in August.

But when NE has 8 or 9 home games between May and September in summer weather, and when a huge chunk of our games were in windy sub 5 degree weather.. it doesnt seem fair at all

Kevvv
05-03-2009, 09:23 AM
a huge chunk of our games were in windy sub 5 degree weather.. it doesnt seem fair at all

Not fair to the ones having to sit in the cold. But it should have been an unfair advantage in TFC's favour. I guess that's what we get for pre-season in a warm climate.

elvis
05-03-2009, 09:32 AM
The Gold Cup really made the schedule difficult for MLS this year.

ensco
05-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I just looked at the standings and realised that as of right now NE has played 5 games to our 8, and only 1 home game so far to our 5.

It will modify a bit today as they have a home game this afternoon, but it sure is strange to have a 4 home game difference (3 after today's) in a schedule.

It's also significant that we've picked up only 8 of 15 possible points at home.

Wow. That is interesting. Good catch.

rocker
05-03-2009, 10:46 AM
our schedule is set up so we have lots of room for those CONCACAF champions league games after we win the Nutrilite ;)

James Oliphant
05-03-2009, 10:52 AM
There are definitely some unbalanced schedules out there, if you look at Houston, for example in August.

But when NE has 8 or 9 home games between May and September in summer weather, and when a huge chunk of our games were in windy sub 5 degree weather.. it doesnt seem fair at all

Fair to whom, exactly? Both teams had to play in said weather...

Nuvinho
05-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I think we asked for more home games earlier on in the season. They didn't like that every year they are on the road for the first 3 or 4 games.

rocker
05-03-2009, 11:16 AM
sometimes I'm amazed when I think back to Season 1... and our first home game was May 12!
think about that.... at this stage of the year in 2007 we hadn't set foot in BMO.

LucaGol
05-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Whether it's Gold Cup this year, or World Cup next year, the MLS should just take a hiatus during these international events.

I'm not a fan of unbalanced schedules and missing copious amounts of players to much more significant tournaments.

Ok. Fix it Don.

Nuvinho
05-03-2009, 12:00 PM
sometimes I'm amazed when I think back to Season 1... and our first home game was May 12!
think about that.... at this stage of the year in 2007 we hadn't set foot in BMO.

It was April 26th or 28th I think in 2007
April 19th in 2008

Bobo
05-03-2009, 12:36 PM

Our "grand opening weekend" was May 12, when Danny scored that goal but it wasn't really our first game since we had a home game a couple weeks before agasint KC (Johnson scored). Never quite understood that one, I guess someone went to a psychic before the season started and wanted our first win to be remembered...

rocker
05-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Our "grand opening weekend" was May 12, when Danny scored that goal but it wasn't really our first game since we had a home game a couple weeks before agasint KC (Johnson scored). Never quite understood that one, I guess someone went to a psychic before the season started and wanted our first win to be remembered...

oops, forgot about that one!

guess I banished the Eddie Johnson goal from my mind. But the KC game in 2007 was April 28... so the KKKrew game yesterday would have been our first or second game at home if we stuck by the same sort of scheduling as 2007. We would have missed all that crap weather.

rocker
05-03-2009, 12:51 PM
p.s. one good thing about all the early league games is that we are much further into our schedule than Montreal and Vancouver. should be in a more competitive zone than these teams.

Vancouver in particular... Montreal obviously had that CCL series to get them up to speed, although even they had a massive period off before getting back to USL competition. but Vanny really only has played a few competitive games this year (USL matches). Hopefully this means they aren't quite in sync yet :)

Cashcleaner
05-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Let's remember that with some teams groundsharing with other sport teams, our schedule is going to be affected as the league works around them. KC at Community America Ballpark is a good example.

tim90
05-03-2009, 03:17 PM
i will like toronto fc to play the fist 6 game on road next year