PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Kissed The Badge

Shakes McQueen
05-03-2009, 04:29 AM
Just wanted to make sure this little item didn't get lost in the fray of post-game "jibber-jabber", as Mr. T might say.

While the Cronin-Barrett link-up for our goal yesterday was great, I think the best part was that, during Barrett's celebration, he clearly ran over to the supporter's section and kissed the TFC badge.

I know some people here get on Chad for his pretty clear lack of consistent finishing ability, but you're made of goddamn stone if you didn't think that was great.

Barrett clearly loves this team, and loves the fans. He also worked his ass off like every other week, while others meandered about, or faded in and out of play. I will always give my full support to players like this - players that play hard for the pride that crest represents, and the supporters behind it.

Chad isn't our most technically gifted forward, clearly. But he was one of the few players on that pitch yesterday that was genuinely trying to propel us forward during an otherwise lackluster first half in the pouring rain, and deserved to be the one nodding home our game-tying goal.

So here's some well earned kudos to Chad Barrett. He's no Lionel Messi, but he works like a champion for this team, and for us.

- Scott

Waggy
05-03-2009, 07:15 AM
+1, well said. And a nice calm finish too, maybe this will get him on a bit of a roll

forza_tfc
05-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Totally agree.

sidney
05-03-2009, 07:50 AM
...ditto...

Yohan
05-03-2009, 07:53 AM
if he missed that open header, RPB would be much more fun to read today

but Barrett... he's got heart of a lion

ensco
05-03-2009, 08:03 AM
I personally am more impressed with Cronin's move and his great ball, than I am with anyone "kissing the badge".

Venerating this stuff just leads to insincere theatrics by players. It's the record of little things over time that really counts with me.

That's one of the things I love about Dichio. You'll never go to an away game without an acknowledgement by him of the visiting fans, and that's not true of a lot of the players. He does a ton of off-field appearances and charitable work. And he always knows what's going on - he talked about the TFC fans singing the anthem in KC, and he had that great quote yesterday about the Columbus away game, that showed he understood the nuance of what happened.

I'm glad Barrett buried it with authority. I'm rooting for him. But kissing the badge?...I'm not saying I'm against it, but as a stand-alone gesture, it doesn't mean much..

Marco2K
05-03-2009, 08:06 AM
thank god he buried that one.

He needed.

TFC needed it.

Lets hope he can keep it up.

Carts
05-03-2009, 08:10 AM
I personally am more impressed with Cronin's move and his great ball, than I am with anyone "kissing the badge".

Venerating this stuff just leads to insincere theatrics by players. It's the record of little things over time that really counts with me.

That's one of the things I love about Dichio. You'll never go to an away game without an acknowledgement by him of the visiting fans, and that's not true of a lot of the players. He does a ton of off-field appearances and charitable work. And he always knows what's going on - he talked about the TFC fans singing the anthem in KC, and he had that great quote yesterday about the Columbus away game, that showed he understood the nuance of what happened.

I'm glad Barrett buried it with authority. I'm rooting for him. But kissing the badge?...I'm not saying I'm against it, but as a stand-alone gesture, it doesn't mean much..

Cheer up! :)

It was a great spotaneous celebration - nothing setup, no theatrics...

He scored a huge goal, and showed his passion and respect for the team and supporters with that gesture... I'm happy for him...

I love his work ethic and passion - good on ya Barrett!!! More to come I'm sure... :scarf:

Carts...

ensco
05-03-2009, 08:20 AM
All I'm saying is that, pretty soon every player will be kissing the badge, if this is the reaction.

I am cheered up. There were real positives yesterday, named Cronin and Frei.

Waggy
05-03-2009, 08:34 AM
I dont understand how I'm still surprised by the negativity thats on this board. Ensco, its not even that he kissed the badge as HOW he did it. It was clearly a spontanous joyous thing. It wasnt contrived in any way. And if someone DOES contrive a celebration like that its pleanty obvious. But lets worry about that if it happens. How about now we just enjoy what Barrett did. Theres no need to be pointing out theoretical negatives

Bobo
05-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Velez anyone? Marco's gesture(s) has been forgotten and so too will Chad's.

Beach_Red
05-03-2009, 08:55 AM
All I'm saying is that, pretty soon every player will be kissing the badge, if this is the reaction.

Cronin and Frei also give the league a lot of hope. If MLS can get good players out of every NCAA draft, that will really help it break through in the US.

Shep
05-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Velez anyone? Marco's gesture(s) has been forgotten and so too will Chad's.

That's a bit general sounding, forgotten by whom? Everyone? I doubt that. I think things like this stick with the player and how the fans see him. Each fan to a different degree, and yes some might forget - but many won't.

Things don't need to be constantly discussed to be remembered, and if it doesn't come up here that's hardly a reason to assume that the rest of the TFC supporting world has put it out of their minds.

Some players might not be so loyal to TFC, and when a player shows his love the the club it should be celebrated, not criticized. That's just my opinion though.

wzhxvy
05-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I thought it was a nice gesture and also loved his passion during his celebration. Slightly off topic but I wish he didnt look like he was going to slash his wrists after every missed opportunity.

Shep
05-03-2009, 09:02 AM

This reaction was a simple acknowledgment on a supporter site forum.. you think that the other squad members are sat in from of their laptops reading this and planning to kiss the badge so we will write a similar thread about them?

That's very complicated, and almost a conspiracy theorist way of thinking.

And yes Frei and Cronin were brilliant, esp Frei, but this thread does nothing to detract from that.

FluSH
05-03-2009, 09:05 AM
I've been a Barrett supporter since game 1... There will be more to come!!! believe me

mlsintoronto
05-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Over the course of the past few weeks to me one poster stands out over others for trying to introduce balance to threads and that's ensco. He's not judging, and trying not to get lured into name calling. I come on here for a reason and he or she (I've never met you have I?) provides that. A challenging outlook, give credit when due, have a personality, defend your point in an articulate manner. So thanks ensco, you crazy conspiracy theorist! :)

For what it's worth Chad is one of my favorite players for his work rate and dedication. Those are signs that the goals will come. But yesterdays left footed cross by Cronin may have been one of the most pure moments of brilliance in our history. Cronin....that boy is our future...and his cross was way more important than kissing the badge. But I enjoyed that too!

boban
05-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Thank you for the reason that you bring to this place.

boban
05-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Over the course of the past few weeks to me one poster stands out over others for trying to introduce balance to threads and that's ensco. He's not judging, and trying not to get lured into name calling. I come on here for a reason and he or she (I've never met you have I?) provides that. A challenging outlook, give credit when due, have a personality, defend your point in an articulate manner. So thanks ensco, you crazy conspiracy theorist! :)

For what it's worth Chad is one of my favorite players for his work rate and dedication. Those are signs that the goals will come. But yesterdays left footed cross by Cronin may have been one of the most pure moments of brilliance in our history. Cronin....that boy is our future...and his cross was way more important than kissing the badge. But I enjoyed that too!
Well said Paul - on both points.

Broadview
05-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Here's to hoping O'Brian White pans out in a similar fashion.

Even if he doesn't, in retrospect, that last draft haul could prove to be one of the biggest days in TFC's young history.

Phil
05-03-2009, 10:54 AM
I couldn't believe the delivery by Cronin. I watched it again last night and was still amazed. One of the better plays under pressure that I have seen this year. Being in 115 and seeing the look in Barrets eyes about the sheer joy of scroing that goal was what I liked. I had put the camera away due to the rain and I really regret that now.

OneLoveOneEric
05-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Taking nothing from the goal and the excitement, badge kissing is meaningless in this day and age.
If we traded him tomorrow he'd kiss another badge next week. It's excitement for scoring, it's wanting your team to win, but that's it.
I won't even bother trotting out the long list of decamped badge kissers here, because we all know this to be true.

onemanbarmyarmy
05-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Cronin, Barret, Frie and if we can keep him Vitti. Not a bad young core of players. A season ago I wasn't sure about the future of the club with Dichio, Brennan, Sutton et. al. getting older and likely retiring in the next 1-3 years but now the future looks pretty good dont cha think?

InTheCrowd
05-03-2009, 10:59 AM
If everyone starts kissing the badge, what value does that place on the love of the badge?

mlsintoronto
05-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Cronin, Barret, Frie and if we can keep him Vitti. Not a bad young core of players. A season ago I wasn't sure about the future of the club with Dichio, Brennan, Sutton et. al. getting older and likely retiring in the next 1-3 years but now the future looks pretty good dont cha think?

And White soon. And Wynne who's younger than White I think. Nana too

Nuvinho
05-03-2009, 11:08 AM
And White soon. And Wynne who's younger than White I think. Nana too

how soon?? I know he was running and starting to play with the ball......could he make an appearance in the next few weeks? ;)

Bobo
05-03-2009, 12:30 PM
That's a bit general sounding, forgotten by whom? Everyone? I doubt that. I think things like this stick with the player and how the fans see him. Each fan to a different degree, and yes some might forget - but many won't.

Things don't need to be constantly discussed to be remembered, and if it doesn't come up here that's hardly a reason to assume that the rest of the TFC supporting world has put it out of their minds.

Some players might not be so loyal to TFC, and when a player shows his love the the club it should be celebrated, not criticized. That's just my opinion though.

Obviously not everyone, I remember lol. I do mean in general. Its not a case of simply forgetting what Velez has done in the past, its how much he's insulted.

I do agree that any time a player makes a gesture like that, it should be praised, AND remembered. Every player could do it, but few actually do.

ensco
05-03-2009, 12:47 PM
mlsintoronto and boban, thank you, that was a really nice thing to say

Paul, we met once at a team party and had a nice chat, I was one of many suits. I got into it with you (surprise, surprise) about getting grass at BMO and you helped me understand some of the finer points as to why that issue is so thorny. I introduced myself by my real name but did not reveal my board name. I will if/when I meet you again.

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-03-2009, 12:50 PM
It's nice to see that it matter's to them alot. I hope he can get few more in May, cause we have alot of big game's comin up

CretanBull
05-03-2009, 12:56 PM

What did he say?

Dirk Diggler
05-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Completely agree .... I'm baffled as to why the thread starter thought the other way around. Cronin is rapidly showing GREAT signs of improvement. I always knew that he was a great offensive threat right from the beginning but he has kept on showing improvements every game thus far. The kid is leaving Carl Robinson in his dust. Every one kept on saying that defensive midfielders need not have any offensive skills but Cronin is a living example of why a well rounded DM is so much better ... and that offensively gifted DM are not some things people dream of.

ensco
05-03-2009, 01:08 PM
What did he say?

There likely will be a few security briefings today with many Columbus fans among an expected 20,000-seat sellout and possible ripple effects of the bad blood in Ohio from the 2-2 tie in March.

But Toronto striker Dichio wouldn't like to see the energy forced out of this budding rivalry.

"We obviously saw our fans down there and from a personal point of view, they behaved exceedingly well within the grounds," Dichio said. "There was a lot of (verbal) battling going on, which I'd like to see more of, which is the English and European style.

"I didn't see everything going on outside the grounds, but I heard a few stories where the fans got a bad rap from the press and it has been a bit unfair. It's just because we go in large numbers and that's what you're going to have in large numbers in different grounds. The American police are not used to that wave of red coming into the grounds. A healthy banter is fine; that's all part of soccer.

"Everyone is a rival in our division (three points separated five teams before the weekend). I see (Columbus) as a bogey team that we haven't beaten yet. Hopefully, it's a good chance to get that first win for us."

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/05/02/9322041-sun.html

S_D
05-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Kissing the badge is pretty meaningless to me. Results is what matters :).

No doubting his workrate, but Barrett seems to suffer from the jekyll and hyde syndrome when it comes to finishing. As long he consistently improves I will be happy although I admit he is very frustrating to watch at times. The jury is still out as far as I am concerned but if he continues to get quality service from players like Cronin and can bury them then good job and I will be first to congratulate him. Likewise if he gets the service and skies all of his shots like vs. Dallas, well I let my unhappiness with his performance known.

There was an interesting observation made by a Chicago supporter a while ago which I agree with. If Barrett could harness his wildness, he would be a shoe in for the USMNT as a sub or occasional starter. I am sure that the coaching staff are working with him on this, and if he is to be a wide forward, helping him with his crossing which should help him become the complete player.

CretanBull
05-03-2009, 01:15 PM
^^ Very nice!

trane
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Barret work rate was good , credit for the finish, but the goal was Cronins work. I am not as negative about kissing the badge it shows some passion. But I do not make him captain just yet.

ensco
05-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Barret work rate was good , credit for the finish, but the goal was Cronins work. I am not as negative about kissing the badge it shows some passion. But I do not make him captain just yet.

I wasn't negative about the kissing of the badge. Look again. I like Barrett. He finished it clinically. Well done to him.

I was questioning the priorities of some fans. A guy makes one of the five greatest plays in TFC history, turning a nothing 2-on-5 move forward into something really special, but the guy who gets the thread and the hosannas is the one who played the lesser role but "kissed the badge"?

Shep
05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I wasn't negative about the kissing of the badge. Look again. I like Barrett. He finished it clinically. Well done to him.

I was questioning the priorities of some fans. A guy makes one of the five greatest plays in TFC history, turning a nothing 2-on-5 move forward into something really special, but the guy who gets the thread and the hosannas is the one who played the lesser role but "kissed the badge"?

It's just a thread, it doesn't have to signify anything or cause a big debate in the value of Cronin's cross to Barret's badge kissing.. they are two different topics. What I don't get is why anyone would even have the slightest issue with someone bringing it up.

Questioning the priority of fans in this regard isn't really a good idea IMO, why can't we enjoy ALL of it? In my head I'm not making a mental list of everything that happened in the game and prioritizing it from 1 through 10. I just want to enjoy good footy and celebrate all the positive aspects of the team.

This thread's attention was due to this discussion, not the basic premise of it, which was just to say "Barret kissed the badge, it was good".. which is almost a non-game topic, not play related at all.

That cross was a brilliant tap, no doubt. But like I said earlier, this thread doesn't take anything away from that, there's plenty of room for us to praise Cronin's left foot.

ensco
05-03-2009, 02:49 PM
It's just a thread, it doesn't have to signify anything or cause a big debate in the value of Cronin's cross to Barret's badge kissing.. they are two different topics. What I don't get is why anyone would even have the slightest issue with someone bringing it up.

Questioning the priority of fans in this regard isn't really a good idea IMO, why can't we enjoy ALL of it? In my head I'm not making a mental list of everything that happened in the game and prioritizing it from 1 through 10. I just want to enjoy good footy and celebrate all the positive aspects of the team.

This thread's attention was due to this discussion, not the basic premise of it, which was just to say "Barret kissed the badge, it was good".. which is almost a non-game topic, not play related at all.

That cross was a brilliant tap, no doubt. But like I said earlier, this thread doesn't take anything away from that, there's plenty of room for us to praise Cronin's left foot.

I was bugged at how little was on these boards about Cronin's magnificent play. Look at the postgame thread - barely a word about it before 11am today. Then I find this thread. It felt like "kissing the butts of the fans" ranked higher than "skill" in terms of what people remembered.

You've also got a good point. Peace. We can enjoy all of it.

trane
05-03-2009, 03:03 PM

It was not meant at you nor in a "negative" way, some had jsut commented that the kissing has very little significance in this day and age, I agree that it is not as significant as in the past, but it is a good sign.

I agree with you Cronin has been impressing me for a while. I think he is our future, however, I think that him and Frei are the most likely to head to Europe. I have liked what Barrett has done since the Chivas game, and it is largely to the position he has plyaed, I believe. I would certainly not have started a thread about his badge kissing.

BRed
05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Ship him out boys...

Steve
05-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I have no problem with Barrett getting this thread, if only because he seems to have gotten a bad rap this year. Whose goal was it? Well, it belongs to both. Cronin did very well to get the cross in exactly where he wanted it to be, and Barrett did what every striker is paid to do, he put himself in the position to score, and he made no mistake about putting it away. Am I surprised that it took until Barrett kissed the badge for some people on this board to appreciate him? Absolutely not. This board (and I don't mean everyone on it, just a good number) seems to have their priorities kind of mixed. Players get into bad favour, and it's almost impossible for them to get out of it. Conversely, all a player has to do is have their cousin come on the boards and "tell no lies" and the player is an instant legend, with no regard for what he's done for the team.

Either way, I don't think appreciating Barrett should be thought of as neglecting Cronin. Cronin did amazingly well that game; in fact, he has been pretty solid every game. Definitely some good potential there. Barrett has also performed very well in the past 3 games, and it's just nice to see some appreciation for once.

Shakes McQueen
05-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Exactly. Making a thread about Barrett's reaction wasn't me ranking that "above" Cronin's skill on the goal. which was superb. I just thought it was great, and worth talking about, because of the severe flack the guy gets from some people.

If I just thought it was fan service, I wouldn't want to talk about, but it was pretty clearly spontaneous.

This is a message board - we should be able to talk about mutiple topics, of varying "importance". :D

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
05-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Also, I want to find the handful of guys I had the lengthy arguments with prior to this season, that kept telling me NCAA draft picks were useless, and Mo did us wrong by not trading them away. They also said no players, outside of occasionally the number one pick, are ever worth a damn.

So far the two picks that aren't injured, have been two of our best players.

- Scott

BallardSounder
05-03-2009, 05:42 PM
I thought Barrett's kissing of his badge was in response to Ekpo's pointing to his name on the back of his shirt after he scored. I thought it was a pretty classy response by Barrett to a very unclassy move by Ekpo.

But, I could be wrong.

Shakes McQueen
05-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I thought Barrett's kissing of his badge was in response to Ekpo's pointing to his name on the back of his shirt after he scored. I thought it was a pretty classy response by Barrett to a very unclassy move by Ekpo.

But, I could be wrong.

Never thought of that, and if it's the case, then it's even better.

- Scott

InTheCrowd
05-03-2009, 07:05 PM
If Ballard's right then I'm impressed! Good on you Barrett!

Canadian Blue
05-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Barrett clearly loves this team, and loves the fans. He also worked his ass off like every other week, while others meandered about, or faded in and out of play. I will always give my full support to players like this - players that play hard for the pride that crest represents, and the supporters behind it.
- Scott

This honestly isn't a piss take but a serious question, where you a fan of Andy Welsh?

I loved Welshy's work ethic unfortunately for him coming from Manchester and wearing #7 put way too much pressure on him from the fans that only know of 2 other Manchester #7's that are top class

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Eric Cantona and George Best?

Brooker
05-03-2009, 07:40 PM
It felt like "kissing the butts of the fans" ranked higher than "skill" in terms of what people remembered.

followed by.....

We can enjoy all of it.

................?

apparantly you can't.

i honestly can't imagine and wouldn't want to be someone who saw a player kiss the crest i love so much and instantly think "omg what an ass kisser"

I was questioning the priorities of some fans.

with a hint of superiority.

Shakes McQueen
05-03-2009, 07:45 PM
This honestly isn't a piss take but a serious question, where you a fan of Andy Welsh?

I loved Welshy's work ethic unfortunately for him coming from Manchester and wearing #7 put way too much pressure on him from the fans that only know of 2 other Manchester #7's that are top class

There isn't really a good comparison there, because Barrett's work ethic has actually yielded positive results for us. Welshy tried hard, but just wasn't any good.

Though for the record, I certainly didn't hate Welshy.

- Scott

OneLoveOneEric
05-03-2009, 07:46 PM
@H Bomb:

or Beckham? Ronaldo? Sheringham? Bryan Robson?

:)

ensco
05-03-2009, 07:52 PM
with a hint of superiority.

Hey brooker, what happened to that cookie. Are you taking it back?

If you're seriously hunting down and policing posts that have a "hint of superiority", you're going to be busy!

You're missing the point anyway. I didn't say Barrett was insincere. I was only interested in the reaction here. Player X makes a sensational play to Player Y, who finishes and kisses the crest. Who gets noticed the next day, X or Y? That's all I'm commenting on.

LucaGol
05-03-2009, 08:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fBdgZUtpBg

lol

Barrett: "I kissed a badge and I liked it"

Azerban
05-03-2009, 08:12 PM
You're missing the point anyway. I didn't say Barrett was insincere. I was only interested in the reaction here. Player X makes a sensational play to Player Y, who finishes and kisses the crest. Who gets noticed the next day, X or Y? That's all I'm commenting on.

if you think there should be a thread on a topic you're allowed to create it

it's pretty much how the place works i dunno check it out!!!

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 08:22 PM
you taught me something new in Sheringham Onelove.

On the topic at hand. There's nothing wrong with kissing the badge. I think it's a bit cynical to assume anything untoward about something like that. It's a passionate response and it makes everyone feel good. I'm all for it

ensco
05-03-2009, 08:25 PM
if you think there should be a thread on a topic you're allowed to create it

it's pretty much how the place works i dunno check it out!!!

The last three threads I started got merged.

Also, once and for all, I'm not against kissing the badge.

bignickel
05-03-2009, 08:25 PM

On the topic at hand. There's nothing wrong with kissing the badge. I think it's a bit cynical to assume anything untoward about something like that. It's a passionate response and it makes everyone feel good. I'm all for it

i agree, but there was a little too much tongue in it.
oh well, it's barrett, not like this going to happen often.

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 08:26 PM
^^ Army brat, they're often a little "weird"

OneLoveOneEric
05-03-2009, 08:39 PM

Not 100% sure I'm right...
I know he wore 10 most of the time, but for some reason I recall some games in 7 after Cantona left.

And on the topic, the badge kissing itself isn't wrong, but the interpretation can be. I think he sincerely kissed the badge, meaning he was excited to help his team win. But I don't believe that there's anything special for him in the fact that his team happens to be Toronto FC.

bignickel
05-03-2009, 08:40 PM
^^ Army brat, they're often a little "weird"
haha, i hear ya!

H Bomb
05-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I was talking to Coach about this earlier but look at the league, and where these guys play every away game...and where others play their home games....and how lucky TFC's players are to have this little hub of support every game. I'm surprised they dont all kiss the badge pregame. Especially those who have never played in Europe, South America....anywhere else (ie Barrett, Velez)

J .
05-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I love his passion and effort. Admittedly I rip on him for being like a dumb fast dog running around chasing a ball. However, it is no coincidence that our recent unbeaten run has seen Barrett put in good performances.

FluSH
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Let's go back to talking about goals! :D

This is the scoring stats so far:

http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/stats/index.jsp?club=t280

You just never know... Chad Barrett could be the leading scorer for the year! and if that;s the case I;m pulling out some old threads from this board and start murhdering people :D

bignickel
05-03-2009, 09:04 PM

You just never know... Chad Barrett could be the leading scorer for the year! and if that;s the case I;m pulling out some old threads from this board and start murhdering people :D

oh fuck, i will look bad. i like his work ethic alot but he is definitely not a natural finisher.

hoping he proves me wrong

Shakes McQueen
05-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I was talking to Coach about this earlier but look at the league, and where these guys play every away game...and where others play their home games....and how lucky TFC's players are to have this little hub of support every game. I'm surprised they dont all kiss the badge pregame. Especially those who have never played in Europe, South America....anywhere else (ie Barrett, Velez)

Exactly again. I wasn't insinuating that Barrett has some deep affection for Toronto, or even the club - but that kind of a reaction to a goal tells me he appreciates what he has here, the fans that make it a great place to play, and that it's all for the team, not the name on the back of the shirt.

Instead of just appreciating the gesture, we've gotten into cynical arguments about whether he meant it, whether it matters, and whether there's more 'important" things to talk about. :D

- Scott

ensco
05-03-2009, 09:24 PM
33% of RPB voters picked Barrett in the pre-season

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10170

trane
05-04-2009, 08:39 AM

Early, he looked lost not matter how the season ends.

trane
05-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Also, I want to find the handful of guys I had the lengthy arguments with prior to this season, that kept telling me NCAA draft picks were useless, and Mo did us wrong by not trading them away. They also said no players, outside of occasionally the number one pick, are ever worth a damn.

So far the two picks that aren't injured, have been two of our best players.

- Scott

I still do not have much beliefe in most NCAA trained players, however, I got to give it too Mo he has found many gems in the bunch. Wynne athleticism and competitive spirit makes gim a good player for us, but he is still behind in his development as a player.

S_D
05-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I just thought I would take a look at Barrett's numbers compared to last season. Here they are:

2008 (Chicago)
Shot conversion: 5/35 = 14%
SOG Conversion: 5/14 = 36%
G/Per Minutes Played = 5/1174 = .004

2008 (TFC)
Shot conversion: 4/31 = 12%
SOG Conversion: 4/18 = 22%
G/Per Minutes Played = 4/998 = .004

Shot Conversion = 2/22 = 9%
SOG Conversion = 2/12 = 16%
G/Per Minutes Played = 2/634 = .003

From what I see here, he has taken a step back from last season. Let me just add though that 1) with the addition of Dero and JC's apparent inability to work him in on the squad may have something to do with it and 2) in Chicago he had Blanco making the passes. I thought that he may have been a slow starter but the 2009 numbers vs. time in Chicago dispute that. He has played 1/2 the minutes though from what he did in Chicago so we will have to wait it out and see what he does.

BFin
05-04-2009, 09:24 AM
We can really find fault in anything on here can't we.
Sincere gesture from a guy who is just looking to help his team win.
I have absolutely no problem with it.
Good for him, and great to still be atop the East because of a timely finish.

boban
05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
We can really find fault in anything on here can't we.
Sincere gesture from a guy who is just looking to help his team win.
I have absolutely no problem with it.
Good for him, and great to still be atop the East because of a timely finish.
I don't think anyone has a fault with him kissing the badge per se.
What is interesting is the initial poster made reference to this gesture to made sure it was a thread on its own for some unknown reason.

Barret is on pace for 7 goals this season. Hardly great for our primary striker where 12-15 should be the target. But hey, everything is good in TFC land and the player in question because, guess what, he kissed the badge. :rolleyes:

BFin
05-04-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't think anyone has a fault with him kissing the badge per se.
What is interesting is the initial poster made reference to this gesture to made sure it was a thread on its own for some unknown reason.

Barret is on pace for 7 goals this season. Hardly great for our primary striker where 12-15 should be the target. But hey, everything is good in TFC land and the player in question because, guess what, he kissed the badge. :rolleyes:
Or the fact that he directly contributed to salvaging a point yesterday against Columbus, and the fact that he has two goals in his last four games to help push atop the East standings. We jump all over him after three to four mediocre games, why can't we provide support just as quickly, when he does well in the same timeframe?

Roogsy
05-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Every forward goes through spells. Chad just happens to have gone through his at the start of the season. But these are the facts:

No one showed up at training camp in better shape.

No one tracks back and helps on D as much as Barrett.

No one works harder on and off the pitch according to the players and coaches.

And from meeting him in person...I have never met a more serious professional in my life.

Yeah...his misses and flubs were beginning to worry me, but I chose to keep the faith that he would get back on target. I thought maybe a game on the bench and a rest may have been helpful but I guess he didn't need it. I think he will score quite a few more goals this year and I am blown away by the lack of appreciation Barrett gets on this board.

This guy wants to be here. This guy has work ethic. And this guy has awesome speed. He loves playing for us and he can contribute. Why are we so down on this guy???

I would like to continue seeing Chad play for us and get better.

Add kissing the badget and it gets even better for me. Seriously...some of you I wish would just go back to your gloryhunting in Europe.

Carts
05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Looking at the teams stats - I'm beginging to think that Dero's numbers are much more concerning...

Dero: 13-shots = 1-goal... Shooting % of 7.69%
Barrett: 22-shots = 2-goals... Shooting % of 9.09%

Dero: 13-shots = 5 on net... On Goal % of 38.4%
Barrett: 22-shots = 12 on net... On Goal % of 54.5%

Very similar numbers, but Dero has much more experience, and you'd hope he'd have a better scoring percentage...

I'd much rather have a striker hit the target and not score (rebounds, 2nd chances etc) than missing the target...

Dero has thumped the ball over the goal at what is becoming an alarming rate this season... I realize that more of his shots are coming from distance than Barretts (making it harder to hit the target) but Dero's long shots need to hit the target - give Vitti/Barrett rebound chances at goal, rather than free goalkicks...

Before I am ripped to shreds, I am not ragging on Dero. I love the guy, his passion for the team and his play on the ball (setting up Brennan etc). I'd just like to see him hit the target more. It seems Barrett is ripped quite often, when others aren't finding the goal often either...

Carts...

S_D
05-04-2009, 10:28 AM
^ Carts, include Vitti in that too.

As I mentioned previously, I think we have to see how this new formation works out and see what Cummins does tactically. There was far too much longball under JC which may have affected how the players took their shots. It is a relatively new formation and it will take a little bit of time to get it working better. We should know a few more games in.

boban
05-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Or the fact that he directly contributed to salvaging a point yesterday against Columbus, and the fact that he has two goals in his last four games to help push atop the East standings. We jump all over him after three to four mediocre games, why can't we provide support just as quickly, when he does well in the same time frame?
Great and excellent points. Totally with you on this.
Just don't understand the singling out of this action in a separate thread.

Roogsy
05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Because it means something to some of us. Maybe not to you...and if it doesn't...there is no need to participate is there?

Ageroo
05-04-2009, 11:02 AM
^ Carts, include Vitti in that too.

As I mentioned previously, I think we have to see how this new formation works out and see what Cummins does tactically. There was far too much longball under JC which may have affected how the players took their shots. It is a relatively new formation and it will take a little bit of time to get it working better. We should know a few more games in.

Factor in that DeRo has just played only a half in this new formation. As well, the formation changed to 442 in the second half. So you need to give DeRo a little more time to settle in as S_D has mentioned....

And to Carts...stop ragging on the Guyanese boy! ;)

boban
05-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Because it means something to some of us. Maybe not to you...and if it doesn't...there is no need to participate is there?
Ahh .. no.
Some have made mention of singling out this action also and have been supported by it (even some TFC people).
I found it much more pleasing to see him head that sucker in with authority and score, which he has had some trouble. Hopefully he breaks out of the funk, but ultimately time will tell.
But please spare your diatribes that he is immune from criticism, esp. now that he had kissed the badge, which the original poster seems to infer (at least that's what I got out of his post).

BFin
05-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Great and excellent points. Totally with you on this.
Just don't understand the singling out of this action in a separate thread.
I appreciate you understanding where I am coming from, but at this point there are so many other threads that concern me when I see them pop up over and over again. It is refreshing to see one praising Chad for once.
:scarf:

trane
05-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Every forward goes through spells. Chad just happens to have gone through his at the start of the season. But these are the facts:

No one showed up at training camp in better shape.

No one tracks back and helps on D as much as Barrett.

No one works harder on and off the pitch according to the players and coaches.

And from meeting him in person...I have never met a more serious professional in my life.

Yeah...his misses and flubs were beginning to worry me, but I chose to keep the faith that he would get back on target. I thought maybe a game on the bench and a rest may have been helpful but I guess he didn't need it. I think he will score quite a few more goals this year and I am blown away by the lack of appreciation Barrett gets on this board.

This guy wants to be here. This guy has work ethic. And this guy has awesome speed. He loves playing for us and he can contribute. Why are we so down on this guy???

I would like to continue seeing Chad play for us and get better.

Add kissing the badget and it gets even better for me. Seriously...some of you I wish would just go back to your gloryhunting in Europe.

I thought he looked lost in the first games, pre-Chivas victory. But he always worked hard, Chivas and after I think his contributaion was realy positive, goal or not, as you say those come in streaks, as long as he is contibuting, which he has I am happy. Which I am.

Carts
05-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I appreciate you understanding where I am coming from, but at this point there are so many other threads that concern me when I see them pop up over and over again. It is refreshing to see one praising Chad for once.
:scarf:

Clearly we need a thread praising BFin! :drum:

Carts...

Shakes McQueen
05-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Ahh .. no.
Some have made mention of singling out this action also and have been supported by it (even some TFC people).
I found it much more pleasing to see him head that sucker in with authority and score, which he has had some trouble. Hopefully he breaks out of the funk, but ultimately time will tell.
But please spare your diatribes that he is immune from criticism, esp. now that he had kissed the badge, which the original poster seems to infer (at least that's what I got out of his post).

I would ask you to specifically point out where I insinuated, let alone said outright, that Barrett is immune from criticism.

I said the guy gets a lot of flack, but he worked his ass off more than almost anyone else on that pitch on Saturday, and I decided him showing his appreciation for the club and it's fans by running over to the south stand and kissing the badge on his shirt was a class gesture for a variety of reasons, and warranted specific mention. Obviously the goal itself was a more important gesture, but this is a message board, and we are capable of talking about multiple subjects.

I also said I will always support players like that, but "support" doesn't mean you have to stick your head up your ass and refuse to acknowledge his faults. In fact, I acknowledged his lack of cool finishing ability in the same post twice.

- Scott

boban
05-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I would ask you to specifically point out where I insinuated, let alone said outright, that Barrett is immune from criticism.

I said the guy gets a lot of flack, but he worked his ass off more than almost anyone else on that pitch on Saturday, and I decided him showing his appreciation for the club and it's fans by running over to the south stand and kissing the badge on his shirt was a class gesture for a variety of reasons, and warranted specific mention. Obviously the goal itself was a more important gesture, but this is a message board, and we are capable of talking about multiple subjects.

I also said I will always support players like that, but "support" doesn't mean you have to stick your head up your ass and refuse to acknowledge his faults. In fact, I acknowledged his lack of cool finishing ability in the same post twice.

- Scott
As a whole the post inferred. I never said anything about outright.

Shakes McQueen
05-04-2009, 11:56 AM
As a whole the post inferred. I never said anything about outright.

Then explain how the whole post inferred it to you, because I just laid out everything the post says.

- Scott

Brooker
05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey brooker, what happened to that cookie. Are you taking it back?

If you're seriously hunting down and policing posts that have a "hint of superiority", you're going to be busy!

im not policing threads. im calling you out when u question people like myself who enjoyed the crest kiss. what the FUCK does any of this have to do with Cronin's beautiful cross? absolutely nothing.

BFin
05-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Clearly we need a thread praising BFin! :drum:

Carts...
'bout time!
:hump:

Roogsy
05-04-2009, 12:21 PM

Exactly where in my post did I state he is immune from criticism?

Unsurprisingly of course, you miss the point of the post. Which is that this is a positive thread and once again you have to stick your nose in it and shit all over the topic at hand. Thanks for that.

boban
05-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Then explain how the whole post inferred it to you, because I just laid out everything the post says.

- Scott
The fact the thread was started for one.
He kissed the badge. Great, nothing wrong with that, but singling it out as something special makes it seem odd. You make it seem like his action should override anything else he does. It reminds of peoples passion comments about JC. In the end that didn't amount to a whole lot.
Performance at the end of the day is what rules. And good on him for getting the goal.

boban
05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Exactly where in my post did I state he is immune from criticism?

Unsurprisingly of course, you miss the point of the post. Which is that this is a positive thread and once again you have to stick your nose in it and shit all over the topic at hand. Thanks for that.
You should learn to read for one.
Second, you are becoming predictable. Stop trolling my posts.
You add nothing to discussions except dis people for thinking.

ensco
05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
im not policing threads. im calling you out when u question people like myself who enjoyed the crest kiss. what the FUCK does any of this have to do with Cronin's beautiful cross? absolutely nothing.

Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that there's no crest kiss without that amazing cross? Celebrate what you want, it's a free country, but I think it's a shame if what's remembered about that goal is the crest kiss.

The crest kiss got pointed out right at the beginning of the post-game thread. Right at the top. It inspired a bunch of discussion in that thread about Barrett, at least five or seven posts before Cronin's name even got mentioned.

But that wasn't sufficient. Further adulation was required. This thread got opened. So I said my piece, which almost nobody has understood. So be it.

boban
05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that there's no crest kiss without that amazing cross? Celebrate what you want, it's a free country, but I think it's a shame if what's remembered about that goal is the crest kiss.

The crest kiss got pointed out right at the beginning of the post-game thread. Right at the top. It inspired a bunch of discussion in that thread about Barrett, at least five or seven posts before Cronin's name even got mentioned.

But that wasn't sufficient. Further adulation was required. This thread got opened. So I said my piece, which almost nobody has understood. So be it.
Exactly ensco.
I know where you are coming from.

Shakes McQueen
05-04-2009, 12:46 PM
The fact the thread was started for one.
He kissed the badge. Great, nothing wrong with that, but singling it out as something special makes it seem odd. You make it seem like his action should override anything else he does. It reminds of peoples passion comments about JC. In the end that didn't amount to a whole lot.
Performance at the end of the day is what rules. And good on him for getting the goal.

You still didn't explain how my original post makes it "seem like his action overrides anything else he does" - you're just reiterating what you iriginally said, in a different way.

- Scott

Roogsy
05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
You should learn to read for one.
Second, you are becoming predictable. Stop trolling my posts.
You add nothing to discussions except dis people for thinking.

Trolling your posts? You're trolling mine! Wow...you have a real victim complex you know? I was participating in a thread about Barrett. I saw it, I read it, I posted. Want people to stop responding to your posts? LEAVE! I am sure most people would love to see you gone.

Dis people for thinking? I have no problems with opposing points of view. What I do have problems with is people trolling threads, which you come dangerously close to. Somebody puts up a thread and you throw up your negativity constantly. It's getting old. And yeah, when I see it I am going to call you out on it. The solution? Stop crapping in people's threads.

You are constantly whinging that you are only giving your point of view. But then you cry when someone has an opinion on your opinion. Don't want your opinion criticized? Don't throw it up.

boban
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Trolling your posts? You're trolling mine! Wow...you have a real victim complex you know? I was participating in a thread about Barrett. I saw it, I read it, I posted. Want people to stop responding to your posts? LEAVE! I am sure most people would love to see you gone.

Dis people for thinking? I have no problems with opposing points of view. What I do have problems with is people trolling threads, which you come dangerously close to. Somebody puts up a thread and you throw up your negativity constantly. It's getting old. And yeah, when I see it I am going to call you out on it. The solution? Stop crapping in people's threads.

You are constantly whinging that you are only giving your point of view. But then you cry when someone has an opinion on your opinion. Don't want your opinion criticized? Don't make it.
Wow you are delusional too .. nice.
Go back and retrace your steps. Then you will see who commented on who's post first.

boban
05-04-2009, 12:56 PM
You still didn't explain how my original post makes it "seem like his action overrides anything else he does" - you're just reiterating what you iriginally said, in a different way.

- Scott
Then we'll have to let it be. Don't get too caught up on it. I'm not.

Shakes McQueen
05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Not trying to bicker with you, but:

This isn't supposed to be a memorial thread for the crest kiss, or the goal. The goal was celebrated in the match thread, which is where it belongs. Barrett's reaction to the goal, to me, represented something about Barrett himself, therefore I created a thread about it. This messageboard is full of threads opining on all topics, big and small. It in no way means I value his celebration OVER the goal itself.

I wanted to give Barrett some props for the class he showed the fans, and for his hard work in a game where almost no one else was working hard. Reading anything more into it, is just being overly cynical.

I understand exactly what your point is, but pissing on a thread because I didn't give the goal itself the amount of specific attention you think it deserves, isn't really right.

I didn't think the goal merited another thread, because talking about goals is essentially what game threads are for. But Barrett's finishing troubles, and the amount of hate and flack he has been receiving, have been more of an overarching storyline to this entire season. The guy worked his ass off, did his part when few other players were, and showed the fans his class afterward, and I wanted to highlight this.

I shouldn't even need to be going into such minute detail to explain my motivations behind why I created a perfectly valid thread on a subject, and why I didn't create a thread on another topic. If you want to discuss the goal specifically, make a thread about it. If you don't want to discuss what Barrett did afterward, then don't come looking here.

- Scott

Roogsy
05-04-2009, 01:05 PM
I shouldn't even need to be going into such minute detail to explain my motivations behind why I created a perfectly valid thread on a subject, and why I didn't create a thread on another topic. If you want to discuss the goal specifically, make a thread about it. If you don't want to discuss what Barrett did afterward, then don't come looking here.

- Scott

This is the problem and it's going to stop. Unless the thread is deemed out of line or unecessary by the administrators, there should be no trolling within those threads. If the thread is fine, a poster should not have to explain himself for his reasons in posting that thread, especially in a thread like this one where the motivation is obvious. People aren't GETTING tired of the negativity on this board, they ARE tired of it and the next step is to rid this board of it. Threads like this are a good way of reaching that goal. We don't need people ruining these threads.

ensco
05-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Not trying to bicker with you
- Scott

Me neither. You've already articulated your view well, I know that you are a respectful poster here, and I see that I inadvertently nailed you there. Sorry about that. The starting of this thread is a really small part of my point (and probably one that unduly vexes me lately, as mods have deemed my threads "repetitive" three times in recent days).

If I may re-state: it was more the accumulation of posts, and general attention paid, to a non-soccer act, when something really special had happened on the field and was being generally ignored, that got to me.

Shakes McQueen
05-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Me neither. You've already articulated your view well, I know that you are a respectful poster here, and I see that I inadvertently nailed you there. Sorry about that. The starting of this thread is a really small part of my point (and probably one that unduly vexes me lately, as mods have deemed my threads unworthy lately, and have been merging them into oblivion).

If I may re-state: it was more the accumulation of posts, and general attention paid, to a non-soccer act, when something really special had happened on the field and was being generally ignored, that got to me.

That's fine, ensco. I have no quarrel with you - I'm perfectly fine with leaving it be. :D

Cheers.

- Scott

trane
05-04-2009, 01:12 PM
This is the problem and it's going to stop. Unless the thread is deemed out of line or unecessary by the administrators, there should be no trolling within those threads. If the thread is fine, a poster should not have to explain himself for his reasons in posting that thread, especially in a thread like this one where the motivation is obvious. People aren't GETTING tired of the negativity on this board, they ARE tired of it and the next step is to rid this board of it. Threads like this are a good way of reaching that goal. We don't need people ruining these threads.

The problem is what is a unecesary negativity and what is acceptable commentary on one view of what is happening with the club?

Roogsy
05-04-2009, 01:14 PM
No such thing as unecessary negativity Trane. If you are negative, that is your opinion and you are allowed to voice it. This idea that there is censorship on this board is far from true. Either in your own thread, or in a general discussion of the state of the team or game you can certainly make your opinion heard and discussed.

But when somebody opens up a "Mo Johnston appreciation thread" be on alert, that if you are a Mo-hater and decide you are going to throw your diatribe against MoJo, you are risking an infraction or ban.

Thats the difference.

trane
05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
^ Agreed.

ensco
05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Roogsy, I think you should name names. I'm not 100% sure who you are warning here.

Roogsy
05-04-2009, 01:20 PM
General statement. You are not being singled out Ensco.

trane
05-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Thinking back to you reply to my post, I think there is too much mo/barrett/dichio/however love/hate, I would prefer to see more open discusion the often seen love/hate in(s) we see on often.

cmonyoureds
05-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Maybe if we showed the same excitement and exuberance towards Mr. Barrett as he showed towards his shirt, without criticizing him, we could call ourselves supporters.

trane
05-05-2009, 09:00 AM
^ Lets not start, another what it means to be supporter debate. We have also had plenty of those.

ricciboy
05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
i support chad barrett :scarf: