PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings: TFC v. KKKrew

Lucky Strike
05-02-2009, 05:42 PM
It's very disappointing to not earn a win, but TFC didn't play that great. I suppose we can take comfort in that they're still winless because of us. Here we go:

Frei - 7.5: Sounds sort of a high score for a non-clean sheet performance but he did everything correctly on the goal but just couldn't prevent it. Ekpo made a good move to go around Frei. Totally saved our bacon after Serioux gave it away. He's the reason we got one point out of this game.
Wynne - 7: Out of position a slight bit more this match but recovered adequately. Had a great run around the 70th minute, it's funny because he always looks out of control but makes good progress downfield.
Serioux - 5.5: Had a tough time defending against Marshall and gave away the ball that nearly led to the goal at the end. But we know he'll pick it up.
Velez - 5.5: Could have done more to try and prevent the Ekpo goal and had another instance where he didn't shepherd the ball out properly (or at all in this case). Let's hope he isn't reverting to the 2008 Velez.
Brennan - 5: Tough game from the skipper, he got stripped and that led to the KKKrew goal. Didn't shine otherwise. Booked.
Robinson - 6.5: Can't find much to say about him, which means he had a pretty standard performance. Nothing shiny, but nothing brutal.
Cronin - 7: Played well again and had the lovely cross right to Barrett's head.
Guevara - 6: Didn't really get into the game though he had some good moments. Subbed.
Barrett - 7: Great to see him the goal, you could see it means a lot to him. And finally I can say something about him other than his great effort, though of course it was still there today. Booked.
Dichio - 5.5: Not a classic Dichio performance today, he'll be disappointed about that. Subbed.
Vitti - 5.5: It seems I've said that a lot of players didn't really get into the game and it's the case again here.

DeRosario - 6: Took a little while to have an effect after coming on at half-time before taking two good shots that just went over the bar. I suppose he can get a bit of a free pass since he's coming back from injury.
Ricketts - 6.5: Came on just before the 80th minute which is why he gets a score here. Looked dangerous at times and was generally better than his other substitute appearances. Had he had more time (say an extra 10 minutes), he might have made a real difference.

Cummins - 7: The draw brought his record to 2-0-1 (WLT format) as I work under the assumption that he was in charge for the Chivas match. Rolled out his usual 4-2-1-3 line-up which is reasonable given TFC had won 2 straight with it. Rightly took off Dichio at half as he was not having the greatest of games though I would have had DeRosario take Dichio's spot rather than send him on the left. But Barrett got a goal from it, so I guess that's why I'm not the TFC manager. With hindsight, Guevara probably should have come off a little earlier, but all in all a good performance from him today. I sure hope his success can continue.

Referee - 6: No shocking calls today though I feel DeRosario had a case for a foul near the end of the match. I'm not sure whether he was in or out of the box at the time, so we may or may not have had a penalty out of it. He allowed TFC to play a little more physically and didn't get suckered in too much by Schelotto's diving antics. He also booked GBS which always gets a referee in my good book, whether GBS deserves the card or not. Yeah, he's that big of a douche.

MOTM: Frei. He saved the game. 'Nuff said.

Most impressed by opposition's: It's tempting to say no one because I hate them, but honestly, Ekpo had a good game (not to mention the goal) but man is he a whining SOB. What is it with this team?

RedsYNWA
05-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Frei - 9: MOTM just solid, saved the game
Wynne - 7: Good runs
Serioux - 5: Bad giveaway
Velez - 6: getting better
Brennan - 4: POOR
Robinson - 7: solid play
Cronin - 6: he is growing on me
Guevara - 6: seems to disappear but earned 2 yellow cards against him
Barrett - 7: settling in
Dichio - 5: Not effective today
Vitti - 6: still waiting

DeRosario - 5: is it Dero or Air-o
Ricketts - 6.5: almost made an impact

S_D
05-02-2009, 05:53 PM
agree with all but Velez. Both he and Brennan are at fault for that goal. I give them both a sub 5 performance. Brennan for blowing it, and Velez hopping over the ball rather than going for the tackle. Perhaps a bit gun shy considering the penalty calls that seem to get called on us, but you can't let a guy do that in the box.

InTheCrowd
05-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Besides that one give away I thought that Serioux was actually pretty solid. Brennan played well as well today, I'm not sure what you guys saw.

rocker
05-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Dero was awful today... I guess you give him the benefit of the doubt given the injury... but regardless of the context, I don't think he was a 6. Lots of giveaways... lack of control... not clear what he was doing out there.

Ratven
05-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I thought Barrett played really well, possibly our best player other than Frei. Other than scoring the goal, he made some good runs, and put some good balls into the box previously.

Lucky Strike
05-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Besides that one give away I thought that Serioux was actually pretty solid. Brennan played well as well today, I'm not sure what you guys saw.

He was pretty solid, but not as dominant as before. He also had some problems defending against Marshall on set pieces and he had the brutal giveaway near the end. Putting those things together, I arrived at a 5.5.

As for Brennan, the big thing against him was the giveaway that led to the goal, he was very average (read not very good), and got turned a couple of times leading to opportunities on goal.

Lucky Strike
05-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Dero was awful today... I guess you give him the benefit of the doubt given the injury... but regardless of the context, I don't think he was a 6. Lots of giveaways... lack of control... not clear what he was doing out there.

A rating of 6 to me means an average performance, not shining but no major blunders either. That's what he was today.

Mind you though, his performance compared to his usual standard was poor, no question.

Don't know if I explained that distinction well enough.

Blizzard
05-02-2009, 10:16 PM

I believe it was Brennan who fed Cronin on the scoring play as well.

Lucky Strike
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
I thought Barrett played really well, possibly our best player other than Frei. Other than scoring the goal, he made some good runs, and put some good balls into the box previously.

+1. Although I'm just agreeing with you who seem to be in agreement with my ratings. I guess I'm agreeing with myself. :D

Lucky Strike
05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
I believe it was Brennan who fed Cronin on the scoring play as well.

Guevara, actually. At least according to Matchtracker who gave him the second assist.

InTheCrowd
05-02-2009, 10:19 PM
He was pretty solid, but not as dominant as before. He also had some problems defending against Marshall on set pieces and he had the brutal giveaway near the end. Putting those things together, I arrived at a 5.5.

As for Brennan, the big thing against him was the giveaway that led to the goal, he was very average (read not very good), and got turned a couple of times leading to opportunities on goal.

Serioux looked very comfortable as always. I thought he did play average however didn't have that much trouble with Marshall. Also the brutal giveaway was 1 moment of the game and we're judging performance which is from the game as a whole. That was a couple seconds out of 90 minutes.

Brennan actually won quite a lot of challenges I thought. He did make a positional error, but once again that's not your performance as a whole, that's just one mistake. It may have hugely affected the game but it affects his performance as a whole just like any other play does.

Lucky Strike
05-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Serioux looked very comfortable as always. I thought he did play average however didn't have that much trouble with Marshall. Also the brutal giveaway was 1 moment of the game and we're judging performance which is from the game as a whole. That was a couple seconds out of 90 minutes.

Brennan actually won quite a lot of challenges I thought. He did make a positional error, but once again that's not your performance as a whole, that's just one mistake. It may have hugely affected the game but it affects his performance as a whole just like any other play does.

I see what you're saying here. Generally speaking, when I do my ratings, I combine the level of performance on the match as a whole and then add or deduct points based on the brilliance or idiocy displayed by the player. And because those moments can either create or give away goals, I give a bit more weight to those. Hopefully, that explains a bit more.

For Brennan specifically, I don't remember him making any particularly important challenges, but I suppose it's possible I might have missed them. I do consider myself a keen observer of these things though.

InTheCrowd
05-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Lol cheers! I just remember seeing Brennan win quite a few challenges. :scarf:

Ratven
05-03-2009, 01:42 AM
+1. Although I'm just agreeing with you who seem to be in agreement with my ratings. I guess I'm agreeing with myself. :D

I guess I'm just restating for the people who might still be on the anti-Barrett bandwagon. I think he's been playing quite well of late, and definitely merits his spot because he works hard and creates opportunities.

Lucky Strike
05-03-2009, 08:25 AM
I guess I'm just restating for the people who might still be on the anti-Barrett bandwagon. I think he's been playing quite well of late, and definitely merits his spot because he works hard and creates opportunities.

I always thought so as well. Even when he wasn't scoring, I felt good about Barrett because he was putting in so much effort. Obviously, after a while, you need more than effort but it allowed me to keep faith in him unlike Cunningham doing the statue on a penalty kick and other lazy instances.

He's now got 2 goals in 7 games which brings he's projected tally to 8.5 (approx.) for the season, which is more in line with what I was expecting (which was 10-12 goals). I got that estimate by saying: well last year he got 9 goals but was always subbed out at the 65 minutes. He'll be better fit this season so he can expect to increase that total a little bit.

dannyd
05-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Frei - 9.5 MOTM
Wynne - 9
Serioux - 5 Unfortunately, not a good game (I guess he's allowed 1 or 2 of those a season!)
Velez - 7.5
Brennan - 5
Robinson - 7
Cronin - 9
Guevara - 5 - had a bad game...
Barrett - 8
Dichio - 5 - also had a bad game
Vitti - 9

DeRosario - 8
Ricketts - 6