PDA

View Full Version : Davis’ Discussions: The Maturation Of Marvell Wynne

DOMIN8R
05-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Marvell Wynne won't stop learning.

After the Pennsylvania-born, California-bred player left UCLA a year early to pursue a career in Major League Soccer—he would become the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft—the five foot, nine inch defender knew he needed to improve his positioning on the field. If he didn't, one of his greatest strengths—the ability to use his lightning quick speed to make scintillating runs up the wing—would become a weakness as opposing teams counterattacked to exploit his advanced position.

Continued here: http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal_davisrsquo_discussions_the&prov=goal&type=lgns

sulfur
05-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Good article, but apparently we only played 24 games last year. ;)

colman1860
05-02-2009, 11:21 AM
some might argue that we didn't show up for at least 6 of them ;)

TFCREDNWHITE
05-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm waiting for Marvell to "turn a corner" kind of like the "TSN turning point"

The kid is a such a raw athlete. If he could learn to cross or pass just a tad better and keep working on his postioning, he would be sold for an EASY 7 million pounds to someone in the EPL....

JDG
05-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Good article, but apparently we only played 24 games last year. ;)

The author misread Wynne's profile on the TFC website where it says:

MLS Experience

2008: Started all 24 games he appeared in logging over 2115 minutes…he made history with his first MLS goal on 09/27/08 at BMO Field striking a shot from just outside the penalty area beating Pat Onstad to salvage a 1-1 with the Houston Dynamo…his second goal game a few games later on 10/11/08 on the road in Dallas in what appeared to be the game winner, FC Dallas star Kenny Cooper would score on a penalty in injury time to give the home side a point in a 2-2 draw…was named the team's Top Defender of 2008.

Mojo
05-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I read this as "The masturbation of Marvell Wynne."

Sorry :(

Aroundtheworld
05-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I read this as "The masturbation of Marvell Wynne."

Sorry :(

Freudian slip?

ballerz
05-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't think Marvell Wynne is European bound, high quality American player. That is not a bad thing because we get to have a top 3 right back in the MLS for years to come. 23 years old and 3 full years of experience in pro football is a long time and he hasn't shown the stability that will make him a top flight back. What will happen when he turns 28 and he loses a step?

Dub Narcotic
05-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't think Marvell Wynne is European bound, high quality American player. That is not a bad thing because we get to have a top 3 right back in the MLS for years to come. 23 years old and 3 full years of experience in pro football is a long time and he hasn't shown the stability that will make him a top flight back. What will happen when he turns 28 and he loses a step?

If he is chosen, and plays well, in the Confederation Cup, I think he will move after the year is over. I think his game will benefit a lot from European exposure. He has some pretty rare skills (he's also very strong on the ball and handles well at speed) and just needs some polish and discipline. He's probably hit a plateau in this league and needs to have his game raised by playing against better opposition. I also think he'll be missed more than many think if and when he leaves.