PDA

View Full Version : Knight: At last, the players speak

denime
05-31-2008, 05:08 AM
Knight: At last, the players speak

Over the years, on the Canadian soccer beat, certain patterns have emerged. If you ask a national-team player about the Canadian Soccer Association, almost all of these things will almost certainly happen:
- Rolling of eyes
- Sighing
- Looking around to see who's listening
- Intense, biting, half-whispered syllables
- Profanity
- Relief at having spoken
- Real concern over who's going to hear it
- Everything is off the record
This morning – at last – the truth is coming out.

Read more (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080530.WBsoccerblog20080530121211/WBStory/WBsoccerblog/)

pepher
05-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Canada is now in the MLS with Toronto FC.

BMO Field doubles as Canada's National Stadium.

I assume that somewhere along the MLS bid process the CSA was aware of the fact that Soccer was a sport in Canada that had been ignored for too long.

Enrollment in youth soccer is at an all time high.

Fans have voiced their concern over the CSA's lack of focus/action/anything with their "Sack the CSA" night at BMO!

International Coaches entertain job opportunities only to have 'misunderstandings' force them to walk away.

Poor performances in tournaments are 'rewarded' with promotions!

Players are speaking out against them.

... and now, on Soccer Day In Canada we play bloody Brazil, and it's not in our country or on TV Live?

I don't know much about the in's and out's here but this is not acceptable. If they have a Strategic Plan, I WANT TO SEE IT! If they hope to improve soccer development for young players WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! If they are going to try to redeem themselves from the mess they have made, GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND START NOW... WE'RE READY AND WE'RE WAITING!!!

Pigfynn
05-31-2008, 09:29 AM
The next CMNT match at BMO should have an admission fee of $15 for the best seats and from there $10 and $5 seats to insure a full stadium.....Once it's full for that match and the ones that follow it...people will pay more attention to the outcries for funding.

The general public are NOT aware of this problem....this is the problem. You need the CMNT on the front page of news papers and for that to happen you first need full stadiums across the country on a regular basis, to get that you need ticket prices to be very, very low.

Start again from the very beginning.

werewolf
05-31-2008, 09:33 AM
The team bombed at the 2007 Gold Cup.....? Was there a parallel Gold Cup that I missed? I love to blame the CSA for things, but we could have easily been in the final, and even as it stands we made the semi-final, which would have been expected pre-tournament.

Pachuco
05-31-2008, 09:45 AM
The team bombed at the 2007 Gold Cup.....? Was there a parallel Gold Cup that I missed? I love to blame the CSA for things, but we could have easily been in the final, and even as it stands we made the semi-final, which would have been expected pre-tournament.

I was thinking the same thing. By no means did we bomb, we played a heck of a tournament and got robbed.

koryo
05-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Re-read that bit, he's saying that the U-20s bombed last year, under Dale Mitchell, who is now sucking it hard with the MNT... in comparison to Stephen Hart, who did well.

He's just written a murky sentence, it can be taken more than one way.

Dammit Ben, don't dangle your participles! (whatever that means)

SuckerTash
05-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Re-read that bit, he's saying that the U-20s bombed last year, under Dale Mitchell, who is now sucking it hard with the MNT... in comparison to Stephen Hart, who did well.

He's just written a murky sentence, it can be taken more than one way.

Dammit Ben, don't dangle your participles! (whatever that means)

Last time I dangled my participle she started laughing.

pepher
05-31-2008, 10:31 AM
DEAD ON about filling the stadiums. Get people out. Season Seat holders get their seats first then the rest are sold off at reasonable prices. by 'reasonable' i mean low enough that they all sell out! Great point Pigfynn.

Some cross promotion with TFC wouldn't hurt either. I know there are marketing issues with Canadian Soccer being sold at BMO during a TFC game but I'm certain that CNT stuff would sell to a lot of those that attend TFC games. It would sure save us from having to hunt all over the damn city and internet just to get a shirt (last year).

July 1st is Canada Day and 2 Canadian teams will be playing for a new Canadian Soccer identity. How about some Canada/TFC/Vancouver/Montreal cross promotion? Little soccer balls with all 4 logos? There certainly is something there to be developed.

MORE CANADA GAMES AT HOME (see above pricing structure).

Great points made by all.

ag futbol
05-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Last time I dangled my participle she started laughing.
^bahahaha, quote of the year!!!

And yes Dale Mitchell is crap