mighty_torontofc_2008
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
one or the other folks

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-30-2009, 04:31 PM
League

TFC OZZ
04-30-2009, 04:34 PM
League, no doubt. The other teams in Canada play in a percieved lower league, and there are only two of them.

Northern Soul
04-30-2009, 04:34 PM
League.

MUFC_Niagara
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Winning the league, anything else on top of that is gravy. The Supporter's Shield is 1st in my books.

EAsoccer
04-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Neither. They are equally important and the Canadian championship is only 4 extra games no need to prioritize.

Vancity RED
04-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I need to see TFC smoke the 'Caps and win the CC, but I voted league.

MartinUtd
04-30-2009, 04:56 PM
I said CC only because its so short and has minimal impact on the big picture

MartinUtd
04-30-2009, 04:57 PM
And having just read that I realize its a total contradiction.

I just want some silver.

Cashcleaner
04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Canadian Championship. It's the only way we can get into CONCACAF Champs League.

nascarguy
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
League in till more teams are added

Nodoubtguy
04-30-2009, 05:12 PM
League.....

TFC Bhoy
04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
league for sure

Dbl_D
04-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Canadian Championship. It's the only way we can get into CONCACAF Champs League.

which means more home games :canada:

Super
04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
League. Although, I was a lot more pissed when we failed to win the CC than when we failed to make the play-offs.

deltox
04-30-2009, 06:00 PM
you dont have to choose between them.

but i want silverware....and i want INTL games that mean something.

james
04-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Well you never added Concacaf Champions League in this.

Winning the League is better then just winning the Canadian Championship since Canadian Championship only has 3 teams in it while MLS has 15 teams.

But id rather win Concacaf Champions League and get a chance to compete against the worlds best in the World Club Cup then just 1st place in MLS, and only way to get to compete in Championship League is by winning the Canadian Championship. So really they kinda cross over eachother here.

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
AS far as the players are concerned, I'm sure it's the league.

I dont believe they get an extra cent for the CC, and if they qualify for the CL, they have to play more games, a longer season (meaning shorter break and earlier pre-season) for no extra compensation.

AS a worker, it's like being told to work overtime for nothing.

Furthermore, there is no real consequence for not qualifying, so why bother?

james
04-30-2009, 06:17 PM

I dont believe they get an extra cent for the CC, and if they qualify for the CL, they have to play more games, a longer season (meaning shorter break and earlier pre-season) for no extra compensation.

well they might get paid extra for those games. Montreal sure went far. And MLSE could alywas pay them more money if they want for extra games. I dont think there is any rules or salary cap in Champions League stopping clubs from paying players extra money for extra games. More games for TFC means more revenue for MLSE. Means ticekt sales and TV deals. TFC did already sell qualifying matches for Champions League, seems like they are kind of pushing to get some extra games in.

Waggy
04-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Heh. Exiled, ask Cunny if theres any consequences to not playing hard in those games. But definitely league. Taking the MLS Cup or Supporters shield would be UNREAL. We're supposed to win the CCC. Now, if we were able to be competative in the club world cup, now that'd be a WHOLE other story

Blizzard
04-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Exactly! The CCL is more important than the league IMO therefore winning the Voyageurs Cup is job one!

B

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Heh. Exiled, ask Cunny if theres any consequences to not playing hard in those games. But definitely league. Taking the MLS Cup or Supporters shield would be UNREAL. We're supposed to win the CCC. Now, if we were able to be competative in the club world cup, now that'd be a WHOLE other story

The whole team played like crap in that tournament. Cunny played like crap throughout the season.

james
04-30-2009, 06:26 PM
the way the league is formatted in MLS comming in 1st place may also not always feal like you won the league because its broken into 2 divisions East/West and you dont play every team the same amount of times. Winning the league by having a few more points then the 2nd highest rank team may not always seem justified.

if MLS was in a 1-league table format then id say finnishing 1st in the season means much more.

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
well they might get paid extra for those games. Montreal sure went far. And MLSE could alywas pay them more money if they want for extra games. I dont think there is any rules or salary cap in Champions League stopping clubs from paying players extra money for extra games. More games for TFC means more revenue for MLSE. Means ticekt sales and TV deals. TFC did already sell qualifying matches for Champions League, seems like they are kind of pushing to get some extra games in.

Montreal is not restricted by MLS salary cap.

TFC players can't get paid extra for those games without affecting the salary cap, MLSE doesn't make the rules here.

Marco2K
04-30-2009, 06:29 PM

THATS IT RIGHT THERE.

I hate the Impact and the crew.

So this weekend we can get the ball rolling.

TFC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

james
04-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Montreal is not restricted by MLS salary cap.

TFC players can't get paid extra for those games without affecting the salary cap, MLSE doesn't make the rules here.

i know MLS has salary caps, but when its not an MLS match like in the Canadian Championship or in Champions League matches i dont think they play by MLS rules. Couldnt they just say to TFC players for every X-number of matches you guys win in Canadian Championship or Champions League we will pay you X-number of $$$. It would be like a bonus for games they arent playing in MLS.

A perfect example would be the Super Liga they had. The club that won that tournamnet got an extra $1 millions dollars. So im pretty sure TFC players can get paid extra for extra matches in the CCC and Champions League if MLSE really wants to push to win some International matches!

TFCREDNWHITE
04-30-2009, 06:38 PM
BOTH!!

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 06:38 PM
i know MLS has salary caps, but when its not an MLS match like in the Canadian Championship or in Champions League matches i dont think they play by MLS rules. Couldnt they just say to TFC players for every X-number of matches you guys win in Canadian Championship or Champions League we will pay you X-number of $$$. It would be like a bonus for games they arent playing in MLS.

You're guessing.

I've had this conversation before, and I took your position, apparently the teams in the CL are bound by the rules of their domestic leagues, also, players can't get extra bonuses or incentives beyond the cap, or we would be able to stack the team way over the cap and claim the players are getting paid for being on the squad for the CC.

If you're going to contradict this again, please quote a source.

Get In There
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Champions League

Road trip to Columbus or road trip to Cancun..............:noidea:

no brainer

B

Cashcleaner
04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't Nutrilite be fronting the cash for any prize money? Just a guess, but if none of the players on each team were getting any compensation I doubt we'd have a tournament at all.

Barth Bagge
04-30-2009, 06:57 PM
If by league, you mean Supporters Shield, then that one get's my vote. Perhaps one day the MLS will see the light of day and put more emphasis on this one. Although a revamped playoff format would be a start, but I digress.

Barth.

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Wouldn't Nutrilite be fronting the cash for any prize money? Just a guess, but if none of the players on each team were getting any compensation I doubt we'd have a tournament at all.

You're guessing as well.

Clarity on this would be nice wouldn't it?

james
04-30-2009, 06:59 PM
You're guessing.

I've had this conversation before, and I took your position, apparently the teams in the CL are bound by the rules of their domestic leagues, also, players can't get extra bonuses or incentives beyond the cap, or we would be able to stack the team way over the cap and claim the players are getting paid for being on the squad for the CC.

If you're going to contradict this again, please quote a source.

im guessing for Canada Championship and Champions League but i wasnt guessing about the fact that teams in Super Liga did get bonuses. Im just saying if they get bonus for Super Liga matches then why cant they in Champions League.

source 1
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/122936

source 2
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/revs-and-dynamo.html

james
04-30-2009, 07:02 PM
also i know in other Sports like Hockey. They have a salary cap but players do get bonuses for Playoffs to dispite the Salary cap. Im not sure how it all works out, but im sure MLS must have something along those lines to. Or else why would teams even care to go further then the reagular season if you dont get extra money for extra games played.

Blazer
04-30-2009, 07:03 PM
La Liga

Scorpio
04-30-2009, 07:04 PM
As a season ticket holder in all 3 Canadian Professional Clubs (if you are traveling to Van or Mon by all means shoot me a message for tix) i'd have to say that its both.

The League needs to be successful to make the game more competitive and increase the quality of play.

The Canadian Championship needs to be a success to grow a healthy internal competition and expand the sports domestic influence in both popularity and youth development levels.

Both these would put pressure on the CSA to do a better job fullfiling their mandate.

Cashcleaner
04-30-2009, 07:08 PM
You're guessing as well.

Clarity on this would be nice wouldn't it?

Yes I was guessing and yes it would. It would be very nice indeed. Clarification, I mean.

Would be nice.

But seriously, I don't see any player agreeing to play games that they are not contractually obliged to play. Wouldn't that be a little strange? How are the international friendlies handled? I wonder if the league pays for those. :noidea:

ManUtd4ever
04-30-2009, 07:08 PM
It is fair to say that Champion's League success generally draws more praise and carries more prestige than domestic league achievements in Europe, Asia, and South America. However, the CONCACAF format is still in it's infancy stages and although I'm sure it will grow in popularity over the course of time, the Supporter's Shield and/or an MLS Cup have to be considered top priorities at the moment. Nonetheless, I was one of the most disappointed supporters at BMO Field last July when TFC could only manage a draw against Montreal. I also noticed the atmosphere was greater at that match than any league match I've ever attended...

Cashcleaner
04-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Sorry, I should have better clarified that the last remark in my previous post was total speculation as well.

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 07:16 PM
im guessing for Canada Championship and Champions League but i wasnt guessing about the fact that teams in Super Liga did get bonuses. Im just saying if they get bonus for Super Liga matches then why cant they in Champions League.

source 1
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/122936

source 2
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/revs-and-dynamo.html

This article almost proves my point. You're talking about prize money for the finalists, not about an extended season and extra games. Of that prizemoney $1m, the players get 12.5% between the lot of them. Do the math, it's about 5 grand each, if they get to the final.

The article illustrates that the players feel they are getting the shaft with Superliga anyway. I imagine the same restrictions apply to the CL and CC, with regards to prize money. I'm not talking about prize money though, I'm talking about compensation for extra work.

Cashcleaner
04-30-2009, 07:18 PM
^ I remember the big uproar with Superliga. The players were getting pennies from doing all the work while the clubs and league all filled their pockets first. Their Mexican counterparts, on the other hand, got all the money from the pot.

Carts
04-30-2009, 07:31 PM
IMO the league...

We have a talented team this year and can content for a decent playoff spot - and then anything can happen...

Guys who normally start on the bench should see some action on Wednesday...

Carts...

egoodwin
04-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Canadian Championship

not only do we get to play international football of importance, but also it means TFC playing during the MLS offseason

mclaren
04-30-2009, 07:56 PM
League without any shadow of a doubt - it's our bread and butter.

SilverSamurai
04-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Canadian Championship, but Im going to take it 1 step further and say that Champions League success is more important than MLS success.

Cuchulain
04-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Winning the Canadian championship would allow us to play teams in supior leagues. Espicially if we advance past the CONCACAF championship to play in the league world cup. (maybe some day). For this reason it should be considdered a more important accomplishment.

MUFC_Niagara
04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Champions League

no brainer

B

Except for the fact that we aren't a seniors tour....we support a football team so the city shouldn't matter.

TFC Bhoy
04-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Champions League

no brainer

B
:eek:You really want to talk about going to MEXICO?? lol you go and get that bacon cold thing they are freaking out about haha. All Mexican teams are even playing in empty stadiums this week.

I know it would be there for a long time, just find it kinds funny lol ;)

OHARARULES
04-30-2009, 09:46 PM
League would be best.. but not likely right now..
so CC is a good stepping stone..

twistedchinaman
04-30-2009, 10:49 PM
League > Canadian Champs

MLS Cup > Voyageurs Cup

BuSaPuNk
04-30-2009, 11:00 PM
BOTH!! I want to see meaningful international games with TFC and the ability to win the leauge. Just as important both of them....added games and if we win the CC games during the MLS offseason. TFC all year round!! What's wrong with that??

tlear
04-30-2009, 11:19 PM
CONCACAF Champions league.. which requires us winning Canadian Championship.

Toronto Ruffrider
04-30-2009, 11:48 PM
The concept of this poll is good, albeit a little vague. What's more important... to whom?

1) Myself - the Canadian Championship. I want bragging rights in Canada, Champions League qualification, and I want to kick some L'Impact ass!:canada:

2) The Team - probably the league, since that's what the players are getting paid for. The Canadian players on our team are probably very hungry for the Voyageurs' Cup, but most of our players are imports anyway.

3) The Fans/Supporters - the league. I don't think it matters how far TFC can progress in the CCL if it doesn't make it into the MLS playoffs. In terms of appeasing the masses, the playoffs are probably key right now.

Mojo
04-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Champions League > League > CCC... but I guess this doesn't make sense since least important has to be won to get to most important.

Toronto Ruffrider
04-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Champions League > League > CCC... but I guess this doesn't make sense since least important has to be won to get to most important.

The NCC and Champions League are one and the same in my opinion. Think of the NCC as a series of pre-qualifiers before August.

drewski
05-01-2009, 06:14 AM
tough call but I choose the league over the VC, but just barely.

the league is why we're hear afterall

Fort York Redcoat
05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Skewed question.

V Cup and Charlseton Cup is more appropiate. They both get teams prepared for the serious competition with greater implications.

And if league is more important than continental success we're still insular as a league.

Roogsy
05-01-2009, 09:16 AM
This question is difficult to answer as it depends on the underlying point of the issue.

Are you talking about what is more important to the long term health of the team? Then the answer is definitely league success.

Are you talking about what is more important to the short-term growth of the team?
Then the answer is still league succes...but you could argue that the Canadian Championship is the easiest route to immediate results in fan satisfaction.

So I guess league success wins out both times, but the Canadian Championship is the easiest route to trophies as soon as possible which of course is beneficial to ensuring continued support in the stands.

Fort York Redcoat
05-01-2009, 10:19 AM
This question is difficult to answer as it depends on the underlying point of the issue.

Are you talking about what is more important to the long term health of the team? Then the answer is definitely league success.

Are you talking about what is more important to the short-term growth of the team?
Then the answer is still league succes...but you could argue that the Canadian Championship is the easiest route to immediate results in fan satisfaction.

So I guess league success wins out both times, but the Canadian Championship is the easiest route to trophies as soon as possible which of course is beneficial to ensuring continued support in the stands.

Incorrect. The quickest route to trophies is the Trillium cup.:)

Which I rate even lower than the Charleston cup.

trane
05-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I am conflicted about the MLS, in that I realy do not care about the league, other then for the little fact that it is the league we play in. So I want to beat every club we play every time. If we are able to do this often enough we will win the league as a by product, but there is little glory for me in the MLS cup per se. The glory for me would be facing and doing well against recognized teams, such as the big Mexican clubs, therefore the Champions league it is. However, as we only play 32 games a sesons there is not real conflict between the two as you are only looking between 40-50 games in each the season max, and that shuold not be too stessfull on our club.

Carts
05-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Well put...

This is tough to answer...

The underlying part of this poll breaks down to "do we start our top lineup in the CCC matches" in a way - and that, IMO, has more to do with a number of factors over which title is more important...

This season, our May is stacked, and our club is at the top of the conference - therefor, in my mind we should have our top-11 in top-form for the MLS matches...

If, just an example, we had a light schedule, and destined for the bottom of the table, I'd be all for starting the top-11 to go for the CCC...

To sum up my confusing ramble - I could vote one way or the other year to year, month to month...

Carts...

UltraFootyKWC
05-01-2009, 10:32 AM
I voted for the league, but why can't we have both? We can have our cake and eat it too!

Technorgasm
05-01-2009, 10:34 AM
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

I am SHOCKED at the results.

everyone is sucking so much ass. . . man, you all really really blow.

boban
05-01-2009, 10:46 AM
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

I am SHOCKED at the results.

everyone is sucking so much ass. . . man, you all really really blow.
classic case of wanting to be recognized and accepted by Americans before their very own Canadians.

trane
05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
^ I realy do not care about the league as an entity.

Technorgasm
05-01-2009, 10:50 AM
you guys put the S.T.D in stud.

your the A between G and Y

Your that little piece of beef that gets lodged up under your gum, and sits there till it rotts and stinks, and you go to kiss her, and this blast of green fog comes out your mouth cuz you have a rotting filthy piece of dead cow meat rammed forcefully and stuck up under your tooth. and then the kids at school call you stink mouth for eons and eons, and it forces you into seclusion, to a dark dank basement, while peggy sue took her top off at the after party and everyone saw, and you didnt and you know that you will realize later that you wil go years and years and years dreaming of seeing her luscious, firm, mountanous jugs jiggling in your face. . and WHO knows! she might have gotten so hammered and sucked and fucked some guy, and it YOU could have been that mistake!.

well anywayz, ya. . . . you all suck.

SQUIRREL
05-01-2009, 10:55 AM
The best of the best are Supposed to be in the Champions league. I want TFC to be know around the world and the best in our area. In saying that I want to win the league badly but more important is to hear some people from Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica ect. say wow this is a great team from Canada, really hard to beat them in two games and then when we win, later hear the UEFA champions say who are these guys....that would be great.

This might be totally off because I'm not scottish but is it more important for Rangers to win the league (which they always do) or make it real far in the champions league?????? I honestly don't know the answer to that but I would think the Champions League

Carts
05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
The best of the best are Supposed to be in the Champions league. I want TFC to be know around the world and the best in our area. In saying that I want to win the league badly but more important is to hear some people from Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica ect. say wow this is a great team from Canada, really hard to beat them in two games and then when we win, later hear the UEFA champions say who are these guys....that would be great.

This might be totally off because I'm not scottish but is it more important for Rangers to win the league (which they always do) or make it real far in the champions league?????? I honestly don't know the answer to that but I would think the Champions League

Nobody can fault you for wanting that...! It would be great for the team to have the worldwide exposure... Excellent point...

Carts...

trane
05-01-2009, 11:01 AM
you guys put the S.T.D in stud.

your the A between G and Y

Your that little piece of beef that gets lodged up under your gum, and sits there till it rotts and stinks, and you go to kiss her, and this blast of green fog comes out your mouth cuz you have a rotting filthy piece of dead cow meat rammed forcefully and stuck up under your tooth. and then the kids at school call you stink mouth for eons and eons, and it forces you into seclusion, to a dark dank basement, while peggy sue took her top off at the after party and everyone saw, and you didnt and you know that you will realize later that you wil go years and years and years dreaming of seeing her luscious, firm, mountanous jugs jiggling in your face. . and WHO knows! she might have gotten so hammered and sucked and fucked some guy, and it YOU could have been that mistake!.

well anywayz, ya. . . . you all suck.

Can you explain in non-breast related language, I think I agree but I am not sure.

Fort York Redcoat
05-01-2009, 11:06 AM
classic case of wanting to be recognized and accepted by Americans before their very own Canadians.

I'd go even further to say it's lost on some that recognition from a more established and in many ways better Mexican League is a bigger achievement than "success" in this league.

trane
05-01-2009, 11:08 AM
^ That is my point. Sure it is nice to win in this league, but when we can compete and win against Mexican teams, then I can truly say we have achieved something on the international level.

SQUIRREL
05-01-2009, 11:10 AM
^ Bingo.

stugautz
05-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Winning.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I voted for the league, but why can't we have both? We can have our cake and eat it too!

for sure....both would be nice...be say if we win the Canadian championship and miss the playoffs we fans still be ok with that?

Fort York Redcoat
05-01-2009, 11:14 AM
So....

On it's own the V cup is not as important (just way more fun) but the implications of Champions League should be the priority?

Agree/No?

trane
05-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I think being the Champions of Canada is important, I would rather be the Champion of a Candain League, but moving on the Champions League is the road to Footy Glory. MLS is not un-important, but lets face if the Crew won it last year, and now they are 0- and whatever, not much of a league.

Fort York Redcoat
05-01-2009, 12:04 PM
I think being the Champions of Canada is important, I would rather be the Champion of a Candain League, but moving on the Champions League is the road to Footy Glory. MLS is not un-important, but lets face if the Crew won it last year, and now they are 0- and whatever, not much of a league.

Careful t or the parity police will be after you.

But that's another thread.

Pachuco
05-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Tampa Bay Devil Rays made it to the world series last year, they are now in last place.

Before last year's MLS Cup finals, New England made it three times to the finals and Houston won it twice in a row.

Honestly, these comparisons can go on forever. I don't think the fact that Columbus is off to a bad start has anything to do with the quality of the league.

trane
05-01-2009, 01:06 PM
^ OK let me put it in another way, I think the league is shite , becasue the play on the pitch is shite, for the most part, and the league is shite. Therefore it is shite, in my opinion.

How is that for logic.

Roogsy
05-01-2009, 01:08 PM
How is that any different than the Canadian Championship though? That you think the league is crap does not answer the issue the OP raised.

Montreal advanced well into the CCL, and they played Vancouver in the USL final and yet they are not off to a great start, and neither are Vancouver. So your point about Columbus sort of falls flat with regards to how it relates to the issue at hand.

CanadianSwede
05-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I just want some silverware and I think the quickest way to achieve that is through the Canadian Championship.. I think winning the league is something that is plausible in the next few years but I really want that V's Cup and to represent Canada in CONCACAF and even the club world cup. Plus, deep down inside I want to annihilate the impact so there fans will shut up..so many are convinced that they actually beat us..

stugautz
05-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I think we should wait until we've won both to decide which was more important.

trane
05-01-2009, 01:53 PM
How is that any different than the Canadian Championship though? That you think the league is crap does not answer the issue the OP raised.

Montreal advanced well into the CCL, and they played Vancouver in the USL final and yet they are not off to a great start, and neither are Vancouver. So your point about Columbus sort of falls flat with regards to how it relates to the issue at hand.

The issue at hand is what do you care about more, the winning the MLS or winning the Canadian Cup and continuing to the Champiosn leageu, I care more about the Canadian Cup more, mostly becasue the league is shit and i do not think winning prooves much in itslef. I just gave just one example of it mediocraty, there are many others, just becuase the US may be mediocare or a team is going though a rought patch does not take away the fact that this league is mediocare at best.

The league itsedl would benefit from a club doing well in international play. I want it to be TFC, as I could not give a shit about any other team in this league, I am happy when they lose no matter who they play.

lips
05-01-2009, 02:00 PM
League

But it would be nice to be champions of Canada:canada:

Toronto Ruffrider
05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
You know, if Montreal wins the NCC again, we'll never hear the end of it. We could win the MLS Cup, but if Montreal wins the V Cup, all we'll hear is how Montreal is the best in Canada, MLS sucks, and USL-1 is the future of pro footy.:shocked:

Fort York Redcoat
05-01-2009, 02:31 PM
You know, if Montreal wins the NCC again, we'll never hear the end of it. We could win the MLS Cup, but if Montreal wins the V Cup, all we'll hear is how Montreal is the best in Canada, MLS sucks, and USL-1 is the future of pro footy.:shocked:

Ya think we'll hear the end of them winning the first one?

MastaK
05-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Once TFC manages to win the Canadian championship, I bet all of the people who voted for League will change their mind (well if you make it to the group stage of the CCL atleast)

Winning the Canadian championship leads to playing international matches against teams that play in a better league than TFC, so you see some quality soccer. The team also gets more visibility I think. The fans get more fun because of the international factor.

Get In There
05-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Except for the fact that we aren't a seniors tour....we support a football team so the city shouldn't matter.

You're just being silly.

Ya, seniors go to Cancun :rolleyes:

a) higher level football
b) 40K at Skydome
c) Off Season Footy
d) ROAD TRIP TO CANCUN ...or how about Trini? - PS a Cancun road trip would blow the doors off this place - cheap flight, cheap / plenty of rooms, sun, sand, drinks, gals and an important match.

Guess what Niagara.....you still get to support the team as well....go figure.....:noidea:

B

TFC/ARSENAL
05-01-2009, 03:58 PM
The CCL is the only competition that gets us into the next level of competition, so it is more important than the League.

Heathen
05-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Question for me isn't so much which would i rather win more right now but which would I be willing not to win less and i'll tell you after seeing those Impact fucks dancing around on BMO field I don't want to experience that again. The MlS cup can wait and the Supporters Shield is irrelevant.

Barth Bagge
05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Perhaps one day CONCACAF can steal a page out of the UEFA book and have the CCL tied in to domestic league finishes. Finish first or second in the domestic league, please proceed to the group stage, finish thrid and off to the qualifying round and what not.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Ya think we'll hear the end of them winning the first one?

Yeah, but until TFC goes deep in the CCL, we will never stop hearing how the Impact made it all the way to the knockout stages.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-01-2009, 07:13 PM
A canadian league..haha what you smoking that will never happen...its MLS or nothing for canadian soccer...the canadian championship is 3 teams..not much of a championship!!:scarf:

Redpunkfiddle
05-01-2009, 07:23 PM
My heart says Canadian Championship and the CCL, but my head says League.

Cashcleaner
05-01-2009, 08:21 PM

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yeah, you're right in some way about that.

For me the Canadian Championship means so much because, well, it's the Canadian Championship. Sure, it's not as a big a competition as we would probably see with a proper domestic league, but because we don't have a top-flight professional league in Canada this is the closest thing we have.

Winning against Dallas, Columbus, or Salt Lake has got nothing on winning against Montreal or Vancouver in my opinion. It's national pride we're talking about! In MLS we're really just another team like any other. The fact that we are representing a Canadian city is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. With the Canadian Championship and CONCACAF competition, we could be the lone club that represents are country just like Montreal did.

And here's something to mull over: Take a look at the MLS Cup attendence numbers (http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/events/mls_cup/2006/history/) and compare that to the 56,000 that filled Olympic Stadium in Montreal for the Impact's last home CONCACAF game.

rocker
05-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Winning against Dallas, Columbus, or Salt Lake has got nothing on winning against Montreal or Vancouver in my opinion.

while I think both league and CC are the same to me in importance in the grand scheme of things, I will admit that the biggest games for me are vs the Shitecaps and Limp Act.

Last year, those were the most tense games for me... the games where i found myself caring more than I do versus Dallas or KC or whatever. Not just because there are fewer games (so each is more valuable) but because I just had this inbred dislike for these teams.

trane
05-03-2009, 01:03 PM
A canadian league..haha what you smoking that will never happen...its MLS or nothing for canadian soccer...the canadian championship is 3 teams..not much of a championship!!:scarf:

If you think that it will never happen, then I can keep high hopes, as you seem to be wrong on about everything.

SteeltownBhoy
05-03-2009, 02:30 PM

Thats what I was wondering, is there any money involved for winning the CCL? I mean all the extra games, stress on the roster, possible injury that could effect league play, travel expense, for what? League and Canadian Championship, then screw it.

TFC07
05-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Perhaps one day CONCACAF can steal a page out of the UEFA book and have the CCL tied in to domestic league finishes. Finish first or second in the domestic league, please proceed to the group stage, finish thrid and off to the qualifying round and what not.

Umm they do (excluding Canada since we don't have our own first division league). USSF rewards CCL spots to top American MLS teams.

TFC FORZA RPB
05-03-2009, 04:21 PM
personally i believe League success is currently more important but i am not counting the playoffs, because to me the playoffs are just a big joke, and an extra way for the league to earn a few more dollars and put fans in the seats. In other words the playoffs are just a way to North Americanize the game just like salary caps.

:flare::scarf:

J .
05-03-2009, 04:50 PM
i want ccl.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-03-2009, 04:52 PM
If you think that it will never happen, then I can keep high hopes, as you seem to be wrong on about everything.

im never wrong!!:scarf:

Blizzard
05-03-2009, 10:14 PM
i want ccl.

I'm amazed by those poll numbers. I won't berate or insult any individual for voting for "league" by I can't say I understand it.

trane
05-04-2009, 08:52 AM
im never wrong!!:scarf:

See. You are wrong once again.

dannyd
05-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I would rather finish last in the league and win the Canadian Championship than win the league and see Impact or Whitecaps with "OUR" trophy...

drewski
05-04-2009, 05:57 PM
just started Wayne Rooney's book and he makes a good point about why the league championship is the most important

"You win the Premiereship over a whole season, you have a lot more games to get through, so the winner is not just the best but the most consistent."

dannyd
05-04-2009, 06:17 PM
just started Wayne Rooney's book and he makes a good point about why the league championship is the most important

"You win the Premiereship over a whole season, you have a lot more games to get through, so the winner is not just the best but the most consistent."

You make a good point, however, we're talking premiership which is a different game than MLS which has playoffs and two conferences.

I understand people place more importance on the MLS. Personally though, the thought of thrashing Montreal or Vancouver 4 or 5-0 seriously gives me an erection. Not that there is a choice (it would be nice to have success in both), but if I had to decide I would give up league success in a heartbeat to destroy Montreal and Vancouver and put them back in their place.

Get In There
05-04-2009, 06:18 PM

I don't know if I could read the book without hearing the 'Special 1" take on his voice.....;)

james
05-04-2009, 09:56 PM
This article almost proves my point. You're talking about prize money for the finalists, not about an extended season and extra games. Of that prizemoney $1m, the players get 12.5% between the lot of them. Do the math, it's about 5 grand each, if they get to the final.

The article illustrates that the players feel they are getting the shaft with Superliga anyway. I imagine the same restrictions apply to the CL and CC, with regards to prize money. I'm not talking about prize money though, I'm talking about compensation for extra work.

all you said was players dont get any money because there is a salary cap and i said that i dont believe players salary caps matter in tournamnets like Champions League and Super Liga and players can get bonuses. This shows that players did get a bonus, even tho it may not be a big bonus. But that was Super Liga....im not sure what Champion League rules are but ive never herd of any salary cap in it.

In Champions League they never said there was a cash prize for winning like in Super Liga but there also hasnt been a salary cap in Champions League either. Mexican clubs got much bigger salaries then MLS clubs do, and i think if a club decides to pay players a bigger bonus for competting in Champions League then i dont see what would stop them. If MLSE decides to give TFC players more money for making it to the knock out round or somethin then who will stop them? its not under MLS rules.

james
05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
also the League views the MLS Cup more inportant then the League Cup (supporters Shield). So as long as you qualify for the playoffs you can still win the MLS Cup. And by winning the Canadian Championship you also can qualify for Champions League. To me the MLS supporters shield isnt a big deal to win, the season format isnt even set up evenly. Id only really value the Supporters shield winning if it was in a 1 league table.

Lennon
05-04-2009, 11:02 PM
also the League views the MLS Cup more inportant then the League Cup (supporters Shield). So as long as you qualify for the playoffs you can still win the MLS Cup. And by winning the Canadian Championship you also can qualify for Champions League. To me the MLS supporters shield isnt a big deal to win, the season format isnt even set up evenly. Id only really value the Supporters shield winning if it was in a 1 league table.

Exacley .. this poll should read "Would you rather win the Canada Cup or make the MLS playoffs" ...

Fort York Redcoat
05-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Who doesn't want a one league table? The shield is still the most difficult to attain. Just because it's not as marketable here we're stuck with playoffs and MLS cup.

Same goes for Champions league. Just because the rest of the league doesn't think it's as big a deal as MLS doesn't mean it isn't.

I'm giving MLS time to correct their priorities.:D

GBV
05-06-2009, 08:21 AM
league. hands down.

and given how many people i've had offer me tickets for tonight, i'm having a feeling fans agree too.

Technorgasm
05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
I am so disgusted and dissapointed in this poll.

I hope TFC FO is not looking at this.

a chance at INTERNATIONAL footy in Toronto for our club side?

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!

beating our national rivals,
shutting them up from YEARS and YEARS of having successful footy teams in their cities,
and on the EVE of Vancouver coming to the league.

DOES. . NOT. . COMPUTE.

-

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2009, 10:29 AM

shutting them up from YEARS and YEARS of having successful footy teams in their cities,

DOES. . NOT. . COMPUTE.

-

2 Petes agree. Here's to ruling the Country then the Continent!

Technorgasm
05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
^^ We should crown ourselves kings and rule these minions.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Ha HA H A HA AA HA HA

ON TO VICTORY!!

TFC_Chris
05-06-2009, 10:50 AM

To us as a Canadian team, the Supporters Shield doesn't mean that much. However, to all the American teams, it means automatic qualification to both the SuperLiga and CCL. We get very little benefit because we have to qualify through the Canadian Championship.

Plus I'm sick of hearing how USL teams are better than MLS teams because they go deeper in the CCL.

Fort York Redcoat
05-06-2009, 11:33 AM
To us as a Canadian team, the Supporters Shield doesn't mean that much. However, to all the American teams, it means automatic qualification to both the SuperLiga and CCL. We get very little benefit because we have to qualify through the Canadian Championship.

Plus I'm sick of hearing how USL teams are better than MLS teams because they go deeper in the CCL.

Speak for yourself. It means we won the league.

scooter
05-06-2009, 11:37 AM

stay tuned:canada:

scooter
05-06-2009, 11:41 AM
obvioulsy both
league is important
ncc is just as important for pride alone never mind international game possibilities

i am the only one embarassed by last years performance?????

lets just win it all

CanadaLFC
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I think both are of equal importance. The Voyageurs Cup today and against Montreal, the league on weekends.

ExiledRed
05-06-2009, 11:49 AM
all you said was players dont get any money because there is a salary cap and i said that i dont believe players salary caps matter in tournamnets like Champions League and Super Liga and players can get bonuses. This shows that players did get a bonus, even tho it may not be a big bonus. But that was Super Liga....im not sure what Champion League rules are but ive never herd of any salary cap in it.

In Champions League they never said there was a cash prize for winning like in Super Liga but there also hasnt been a salary cap in Champions League either. Mexican clubs got much bigger salaries then MLS clubs do, and i think if a club decides to pay players a bigger bonus for competting in Champions League then i dont see what would stop them. If MLSE decides to give TFC players more money for making it to the knock out round or somethin then who will stop them? its not under MLS rules.

James, youre failing to recognise that there ARE rules in place that cover this. Bonuses are a hugely contentious issue with the MLS, regardless of where those bonuses come from. The CAB/MLS dispute highlighted in the article you posted proves this.

We could circumnavigate the DP rule by paying a star player a $1m 'bonus' for CC matches while only paying them $25,000 against the cap.

We could stack the whole team this way, and whenever it seems we are breaking MLS rules we can say 'that money is related to the CC'

What you think is logical, and what is actually going on, are two completely different things.

SQUIRREL
05-06-2009, 12:45 PM

DOES. . NOT. . COMPUTE.

-

I have to agree... To me this is a Question of LEAGUE VS CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.......... and to my surprise people are picking MLS....MLS, I mean MLS.....hey I get it Toronto plays in MLS so respect it but to think people will choose it over Champions league.....I'm sorry I can't believe it