PDA

View Full Version : Sending Official Feedback on Referees

TicTacTabarnack
04-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Just came across this link:
http://www.ussoccer.com/contact/index.jsp.html

Send Feedback To: Department Drop down menu has "Referees" as an option :p

I wonder what we can collectively do with this?

TFCREDNWHITE
05-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Nice! I like this link....This is going to come in real handy!!

on a sidenote:

My pops used to Ref in the NSL/CNSL(which is currently the CSL)...he was one of Canada's highest non-fifa ref's in the 80's....He then wrote the Fifa referee exam in Ottawa at the time...He passed and due to "political" bullshit and nepotism within the Canadian Referee's Association he got fed up and threw the Fifa accreditation at the head honcho's desk here in Toronto and told them to shove it, after being shut out of participating in Mexico 86'....

Anyways, he watches games with me and basically says that the ref's in MLS, for the most part, are in desperate need of training...and need to understand the flow of the game...

as an example: the Marvell Wynne "handball" in Dallas....He was saying "yeah, its a handball and the rules do allow you to call it, but it also allows you to waive unintentional handballs also...these guys need to stop taking everything so damn literal and realize that its the 87th min and it wasn't intentional and not decide the game....nobody wants to win or lose like that...When you get to the highest levels of soccer, guys are very very good at trying to draw or get handballs by putting the balls at the defenders hands or arms."

I'm not saying thats what happened in Wynne's case, but the point my pops is trying to make is, good or great ref's try and go unnoticed in a game...It seems that MLS refs try and make a personal statement and impact the game way to much by doing that shit...anyways, it's just a general comment, so take it for what its worth....its kind of hard to convey all his sentiments across a keyboard...but he was one of Canada's top refs for a while...

TFCREDNWHITE
05-01-2009, 12:56 AM
This is what FiFa issues....

http://www.ontariosoccer.net/getmedia/af8caea4-d23a-44d8-8e74-d4328e8da0a4/FIFA_LawsOfTheGame.aspx

Mark in Ottawa
05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Anyways, he watches games with me and basically says that the ref's in MLS, for the most part, are in desperate need of training...and need to understand the flow of the game...

When I was a hockey referee there was a continual process of review and discussion with referees after experienced officials observed them in game situations. This formed the basis for which referees were promoted to higher leagues and which ones were given the assignments for games that were seen or known to be a challenge for one reason or another.

Hockey officials have to be recertified each and every season after off-ice training sessions dealing with rule changes and interpretation of rules/situations.

I feel for your dad regarding that politics thing... been there... seen it in action. I am no longer an official either.

rocker
05-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Onalfo gave his "feedback" on the refs after the TFC game.. and got fined

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/wizards/story/1172245.html

GabrielHurl
05-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Onalfo gave his "feedback" on the refs after the TFC game.. and got fined

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/wizards/story/1172245.html

is he going to quit and walk out on his team as well?

sulfur
05-01-2009, 09:14 AM
When I was a hockey referee there was a continual process of review and discussion with referees after experienced officials observed them in game situations.

Hockey officials have to be recertified each and every season after off-ice training sessions dealing with rule changes and interpretation of rules/situations.
High level footie refs have to go through the same thing.

The bigger problem is... a lot of the assessors and trainers don't seem to know what they're doing, or have never actually partaken in playing the game. Sadly.

rocker
05-01-2009, 10:06 AM
is he going to quit and walk out on his team as well?

probably not, since a guy like Onalfo needs MLS. He doesn't exactly have any other options in Europe :)

TFCREDNWHITE
05-01-2009, 11:06 AM
High level footie refs have to go through the same thing.

The bigger problem is... a lot of the assessors and trainers don't seem to know what they're doing, or have never actually partaken in playing the game. Sadly.

This is so true!!

Nail on the head...

TFC Tifoso
05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
something to think about......

I wonder how many of the "bad" calls against TFC were simply spite calls due to Carver's constant yapping and complaining. Doesn't justify the calls at all, but just something to wonder.

I'm really curious to see if this apparent bais and "bad" calls against TFC go away in the post Carver era, especially considering both MoJo and Cummins have said that they do believe the bad calls are cyclical and eventually even out over the course of the season.