PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Thursday , Apr.30

denime
04-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Mornin'

`Laid-back' Cummins takes over TFC's reins
Carver successor vows `attacking football' from East conference leader :canada:
Daniel Girard

Chris Cummins, the new interim head coach of Toronto FC, says he's not the type of guy to get too worked up about poor officiating.
"Things like that don't bother me if I'm honest with you," Cummins said yesterday after being named successor to John Carver, who quit last week. "I'm quite laid back."

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/626535)

Cue up the Crew
TFC's fierce rivals from Columbus poised to invade BMO Field
By BILL LANKHOF (bill.lankhof@sunmedia.ca)

The Columbus Crew is coming to Toronto.
Quick, someone hide the women and children.
The Crew and Toronto FC bring out the beast in each other -- and that's just in the stands.
If this were the western frontier of the 1800s, Saturday's meeting would be the equivalent of the Clanton boys riding into Tombstone to party with the Earps.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bill_lankhof/2009/04/30/9299826-sun.html)

Playoffs, or pride?
Ryan Johnston

Quick thought: It is impossible to spell fact or fiction without T, F, or C.

Anyhow, it was this line of thinking that prompted me to corner the man behind the matches at BMO Field this summer, friend of new media and Director of Business Operations for Toronto FC, Paul Beirne.
In its three-year existence, Toronto FC has been active in organizing friendly dates at BMO Field that satisfies the international football flavour of the people who walk through the turnstiles each summer.

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/04/29/johnston_playoffs_or_pride/)

Out with the old

Never a dull moment. I drove down the QEW to Oakville Wednesday morning to interview former Toronto FC coach John Carver, and
less than two hours later I was at the TFC news conference announcing Chris Cummins as interim coach.
First things first.
You"ll be able to catch the interview with Carver in the video section of our website and you can also watch it on the Stetanta Sports Canada edition of Soccercentral Thursday evening at 8:45 EDT.

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/04/29/dobson_carver_cummins/)

Mo making moves to strengthen Toronto FC's footing
By LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca)

Having absorbed the speed bump of John Carver's resignation, manager Mo Johnston is trying to keep the Toronto FC bus in the fast lane.
There are injured players to be worked back into the lineup such as Dwayne De Rosario (hamstring) and first-round pick O'Brian White (knee), teenage Gambian defender Amadou Sanyang is being evaluated with more kids en route while the search continues for a centre back, a position Johnston said was the "missing piece of the puzzle" during the pre-season.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/04/30/9299821-sun.html)

Cummins delighted by appointment
Reds Interim Head Coach ready to meet challenge

Chris Cummins was appointed as Toronto FC's new Interim Head Coach Wednesday and is ready to meet the challenge of his new position. "I'm delighted to be given the opportunity." said Cummins. "People have got faith in me and have seen what I have been able to do over the last few weeks and it is important that I continue that now. It's not a case of relaxing now I have got the job. We have to build on what we have achieved so far and stay at the top of the table. We're always looking to develop and progress."

Read More (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090429&content_id=246109&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Carver talks to Soccercentral
SPORTSNET.CA

John Carver's tenure as coach of Toronto FC came to an unceremonious end when the club issued a press release announcing the second-year coach had resigned one day before he was to coach his team at BMO Field.

Soccercentral's Gerry Dobson sat down with Carver in an exclusive interview to find out what happened.

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/04/29/carver_sitdown/)

Hart in charge again
MATTHEW WUEST

When Stephen Hart moved to Canada in 1980, he loved soccer. But if someone had told him he would one day be one of Canada’s most influential figures in the sport, the native of Trinidad and Tobago might have laughed heartily.

“I actually came to Canada to do a degree along the lines of something marine,” says Hart, who is now interim head coach of Canada’s men’s team, as well as the technical director of the Canadian Soccer Association. “My intentions were completely different. But fate had it differently.”

Read More (http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/sports/article/221317--hart-in-charge-again)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

sidvan
04-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Morning Denime, Thanks again for this

boban
04-30-2009, 06:27 AM
Mornin'

`Laid-back' Cummins takes over TFC's reins
Carver successor vows `attacking football' from East conference leader :canada:
Daniel Girard

Chris Cummins, the new interim head coach of Toronto FC, says he's not the type of guy to get too worked up about poor officiating.
"Things like that don't bother me if I'm honest with you," Cummins said yesterday after being named successor to John Carver, who quit last week. "I'm quite laid back."

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/626535)

Interesting story behind this headline.
Carver bailed. Quit!!
Looks like some members were right in their hunch all along that the story sold to us was not in fact entirely true.....

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=12828

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=12600&page=35

TFC Bhoy
04-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Great reads thanks!! Nothing like getting to work bright and early and getting the latest updates before actually working haha. Always a pleasure!

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 06:39 AM
While Carver said in an interview this week the "last straw" was being ordered by MLS to return to the sidelines after spending a game coaching from a private box atop BMO Field and "out of the firing line" of on-field officials, TFC general manager Mo Johnston yesterday said it was Toronto management who made the request.

"John wanted to sit upstairs, we wanted him to sit downstairs," Johnston said after announcing the appointment of Cummins and the elevation of Canadian Nick Dasovic to be TFC's first assistant coach.

"John had numerous things going on that had to be taken care of," Johnston said. "That wasn't the breaking point."

It really and truly was only a matter of time before MLSE/TFC would throw carver under the bus. I mentioned this in a thread/discussion last night:

We all know that MLSE will throw it's own to the wolves if it means saving face - all we have to consider is the John Ferguson Jr. hiring/firing. I find it astounding that his head was the only one on the block. I'm not naive here, I understand the business model, but the sporting ineptitude is baffling. It's the ability to generate revenue that all is hinged upon - as Paul Bierne has jokingly, though smugly, acknowledged earlier in this thread. So what am I saying? They let John Carver flounder in his inexperience with the MLS and its overall ineptitude in building a league with overall quality. They did not use this as a platform to discuss the significantly under par officiating. It is my belief that if they devalue the quality of the league in any way it will affect the bottom line - thus they prefer a poorer product in lieu of profits.

At this point I will not even broach the fact that Cummins will end up being the full time manager regardless of his success rate, simply as a cost cutting measure. The fans in Toronto deserve more; will MLSE give it to them? I think not. John Carver was the curator of his own demise, no doubt - but he was on his own in the front lines, and for that I think that his front office 'team' let him down. Just my thoughts from the outside - I'm certain there are stories that may surface in future altering this viewpoint - for better or worse...

ensco
04-30-2009, 06:43 AM
It really and truly was only a matter of time before MLSE/TFC would throw carver under the bus. I mentioned this in a thread/discussion last night:

Maybe. Or maybe Mo/MLSE had to step in because Carver was denigrating the product.

Carver's response, that he is under a confidentiality agreement, is very, very meaningful. People who get mad and quit don't sign these, in my experience, because the whole point of "quitting on a point of principle" is that the person resigning refuses to be gagged.

I have no problem with this at all. I'm glad Carver is getting his dough. I'm pretty sure we all wish him the best. But I think this confirms the following: Mo and Carver wrote a script and sealed it with a confidentiality agreement.

keem-o-sabi
04-30-2009, 06:45 AM
coed girl (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/) :)

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Maybe. Or maybe Mo/MLSE had to step in because Carver was denigrating the product.

Carver's response, that he is under a confidentiality agreement, is very, very meaningful. People who get mad and quit don't sign these, in my experience, because the whole point of "quitting on a point of principle" is that the person resigning refuses to be gagged.

I have no problem with this at all. I'm glad Carver is getting his dough. I'm pretty sure we all wish him the best. But I think this confirms the following: Mo and Carver wrote a script and sealed it with a confidentiality agreement.

Usually a confidentiality agreement is agreed upon just after an initial contract is signed. It is not common to sign one just prior to being released from your duties or quitting - regardless of the situation. Unless you know otherwise - does it say he signed it recently?

Jack
04-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Or maybe they want their team to get a fair shake from the refs and they think that backing away from Carver's hardline stance will help them on the field.

There are a lot of theories we could bandy about. I will wait and see what Cummins can do with this team before I make a statement like this: At this point I will not even broach the fact that Cummins will end up being the full time manager regardless of his success rate, simply as a cost cutting measure. The fans in Toronto deserve more; will MLSE give it to them? I think not.

If and when Cummins becomes the full time manager then this issue will be addressed. Until then it's all speculation, some of it bordering on the ludicrous. Never mind the fact you say you will not even broach the subject while doing just that.

I understand the mindset of not blindly trusting MLSE, but I don't understand the mindset of blindly mistrusting them completely.

ensco
04-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Usually a confidentiality agreement is agreed upon just after an initial contract is signed. It is not common to sign one just prior to being released from your duties or quitting - regardless of the situation. Unless you know otherwise - does it say he signed it recently?

I don't "know" anything, but I think you may find your assertion above is incorrect, as it relates to severance and release from higher-wage contracts. No offence, but it's more than common, it's pretty much universal.

Something like this must have happened:

Carver says nothing until Mo implies he cracked at the press conference Sunday.
All of a sudden Carver starts granting interviews.
Is he violating the Confidentiality Agreement?
Mo gets mad and fires a salvo back.
Carver clams up again.

The faster Carver goes back to UK, the better for him.

King Jeff
04-30-2009, 06:58 AM
The league may have only itself to blame. When Toronto joined the MLS in 2007, it set up the Trillium Cup, a three-game series in hopes of fostering a rivalry with Columbus. It has worked, perhaps, a bit too well.

Rolf. Talk about missing the point entirely.

drewski
04-30-2009, 07:04 AM

+1

usually if you sign a confidentiality agreement at the end, its because you've agreed to a big settlement, which isn't the case here

denime
04-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Ok guys here is the deal.

I know some of you can get over the Carver thing and that's fine.
If you want to discus further about what happened there is thread to do so.
There are register users and members of this forum who would like to move on but they can't since Carver conspiracy is coming back and always from same ppl.
Please stop spamming every second thread in this forum with Carver conspiracy,go to Carver merged thread and have a blast for the rest of the year if you want.

Carver conspiracy thread:

Let the rest of us move on.

We have a KKCrew coming to town in 2 days with believe or not 100 supporters.

ensco
04-30-2009, 07:10 AM
+1

usually if you sign a confidentiality agreement at the end, its because you've agreed to a big settlement, which isn't the case here

Anyone in a high profile position in any business, who is asked to leave, or where it's mutually agreed that he/she will leave, has to sign these just to get paid out on an existing contract. For just the reason we're seeing.

This isn't a contentious point. Really.

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Or maybe they want their team to get a fair shake from the refs and they think that backing away from Carver's hardline stance will help them on the field.

There are a lot of theories we could bandy about. I will wait and see what Cummins can do with this team before I make a statement like this: At this point I will not even broach the fact that Cummins will end up being the full time manager regardless of his success rate, simply as a cost cutting measure. The fans in Toronto deserve more; will MLSE give it to them? I think not.

If and when Cummins becomes the full time manager then this issue will be addressed. Until then it's all speculation, some of it bordering on the ludicrous. Never mind the fact you say you will not even broach the subject while doing just that.

I understand the mindset of not blindly trusting MLSE, but I don't understand the mindset of blindly mistrusting them completely.

I understand that you have a sanctity to protect thus your statement is positioned appropriately. By not 'broaching' the subject, I'm not investigating it deeply, thus I'm not 'broaching' the issue in my traditional fashion. I don't think I blindly mistrust MLSE completely - that is unfounded rhetoric on your part. And it's quite clear that this is what you are insinuating, unless I am wrong, then I will stand corrected. But ultimately, you may call discussing what is a massive paradigm shift in this clubs short history 'ludicrous', I call it sensible.

As I watch from a distance, I feel I have a much clearer picture than when I was 'involved' with the club. The fact that I have an understanding of both sides allows me a unique perspective, one that unfortunately you do not have. But what you do have is the history of following Toronto sports, more specifically MLSE, and its affiliate clubs. This type of scenario is pandemic to the Toronto sports scene. Now as president of your group, you need to keep a positive tone; I need to understand what lies in the future. Thus, I think that this is an attempt to placate a reality. Cummins is another unproven entity - teams across the sporting universe have the ability to find new coaches/managers - I ask again; why do we expect less?

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Anyone in a high profile position in any business, who is asked to leave, or where it's mutually agreed that he/she will leave, has to sign these just to get paid out on an existing contract. For just the reason we're seeing.

This isn't a contentious point. Really.

Though not contentious, I agree, we are probably talking about two different things. When you join an organisation where you will be exposed to sensitive materials or client/partner strategies/planning you are expected to sign a ND agreement - I have signed many. Now when you are released you may be asked to sign an agreement in lieu of payment - thus avoiding any potential wrongful dismissal charges in future and the ability to control your PR. I assume this is what you are referring to... Again, I'm not sure about this agreement as I haven't seen it.

Jack
04-30-2009, 07:27 AM
I say again: what is the problem with a team appointing an assistant as interim manager when their head coach resigns/is fired during the course of the season? This happens all over the sporting world without a conspiracy theory attached. I don't understand how the appointment of Cummins as interim manager is being seen as some sinister move to diminish the quality of the team and lower our expectations.

If Cummins can't do the job, then he will be removed. In the mean time, the search for another manager can be carried out, but you still need someone to take the reins.

I certainly don't expect any less of my team than I did a week ago, regardless of who is running the show. The results on the pitch will bear this out in time. If Cummins can't get it right, someone else will have to be brought in. . I don't think there is a long queue for the position, especially since Carver gave no real indication he was on his way out.

ensco
04-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Though not contentious, I agree, we are probably talking about two different things. When you join an organisation where you will be exposed to sensitive materials or client/partner strategies/planning you are expected to sign a ND agreement - I have signed many. Now when you are released you may be asked to sign an agreement in lieu of payment - thus avoiding any potential wrongful dismissal charges in future and the ability to control your PR. I assume this is what you are referring to... Again, I'm not sure about this agreement as I haven't seen it.

Not in lieu of payment, but in order to keep receiving the moneys you are owed under the contract.

It's why departed coaches generally have very little that's bad to say about their former clubs (it also must be pointed out that it would be considered sour grapes by future employers). Here's a recent example of someone doing it that got some press:
http://nhlhomeice.com/wp/?tag=confidentiality-agreement

Be interesting to see if Carver goes ahead with the CBC interview today and, if he does, whether he has much to say.

DOMIN8R
04-30-2009, 07:37 AM
"We had targeted two (international transfers), myself and John, but now we have to re-evaluate. ," Johnston said yesterday at the press conference formally announcing Chris Cummins as interim head coach and Canadian Nick Dasovic as first assistant.

"We have to speak to the (new) coaches because they might want to change one or two guys in the room. I'm more than happy to do that, but what we can't do is upset the first team."

Maybe this is the team. No more addtions to come? If they keep playing the way they have been, I can live with that.

Carter
04-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Mornin'

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

There is no way shes only 18, she looks older than me for crying out loud, and i still get ID'd at BMO every week by the same Beer Girl.. :( and im almost 30. :(

bhoybobby
04-30-2009, 07:43 AM

It's funny how the sand in this story keeps shifting & te truth is being peeled back

Bottom line is Assman & Mo couldn't manage an over reacting Carver. Mo & the Assman are yes men, Carver got himself hysterical over something he could do nothing about, officiating.

TFC mgmt could have pursued JC's concerns through the correct channels, but clearly the Assman thinks it's o.k.

Cummins seems to have the right attitude about refs, as for Mo & the Assman, yeah, yeah, yeah keep cashing the cheques, useless spineless pair of ball lickers

Oldtimer
04-30-2009, 07:43 AM
As "frugal" as MLSE can be at times, I agree with Jack. It only makes sense to keep Cummins for the rest of the season, anything else, and we've already written off this year.

If Cummins does well, he keeps the job. If not, he gets replaced.

bhoybobby
04-30-2009, 07:45 AM
"We had targeted two (international transfers), myself and John, but now we have to re-evaluate. ," Johnston said yesterday at the press conference formally announcing Chris Cummins as interim head coach and Canadian Nick Dasovic as first assistant.

"We have to speak to the (new) coaches because they might want to change one or two guys in the room. I'm more than happy to do that, but what we can't do is upset the first team."

Maybe this is the team. No more addtions to come? If they keep playing the way they have been, I can live with that.

We're not deep enough in talent as a squad, one or two key injuries, we're fecked,

scooter
04-30-2009, 07:48 AM
mornin d

Technorgasm
04-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Ok guys here is the deal.

I know some of you can get over the Carver thing and that's fine.
If you want to discus further about what happened there is thread to do so.
There are register users and members of this forum who would like to move on but they can't since Carver conspiracy is coming back and always from same ppl.
Please stop spamming every second thread in this forum with Carver conspiracy,go to Carver merged thread and have a blast for the rest of the year if you want.

Carver conspiracy thread:

Let the rest of us move on.

We have a KKCrew coming to town in 2 days with believe or not 100 supporters.

YES PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY MOVE THE FUCK ON!!!

jeebus.

I can barely sleep with the excitment building up to this match v the CREW.

lets have a look shall we (and I havent even read the bloomin news)

1. We are steaming, haven beat 2 of the top teams to get clear at the top of the east.
2. Crew have not won a game and are ripe for the squashing
3. Hedjuk, pedula will not be starting for Crew
4. We have NEVER beat them
5. Trillum cup

Need I say more, I mean. . COme ON!!!

kill these fuckers, bash the dorks! Kick their butts!

Lucky Strike
04-30-2009, 07:59 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/04/29/johnston_playoffs_or_pride/

Did anyone notice in this article, TFC said no mid-season friendlies? So far anyway; it sounds like they realize how busy the schedule is and are prioritizing. At least that was the way I interpreted it. If true, this is a great move; I've always disliked the mis-season friendlies. What do you think?

Carter
04-30-2009, 07:59 AM

jeebus.

1. We are steaming, haven beat 2 of the top teams to get clear at the top of the east.
5. Trillum cup

Steal their women and Drink their BEERS!!!!! :canada::canada:

Technorgasm
04-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Carver Quit. Hes gone, no amount of internet noodling is going to do shit about it.
Deal with it.

http://content.imagesocket.com/images/Schelottodiving541.gif

http://content.imagesocket.com/images/mr_tba1.gif

http://content.imagesocket.com/images/CREWnerds1db8.gif

http://content.imagesocket.com/images/Crewwin2008e76.gif

Fort York Redcoat
04-30-2009, 08:03 AM

Did anyone notice in this article, TFC said no mid-season friendlies? So far anyway; it sounds like they realize how busy the schedule is and are prioritizing. At least that was the way I interpreted it. If true, this is a great move; I've always disliked the mis-season friendlies. What do you think?

I agree. No mid season friendlies now that we have the V cup, and international competition. Now for the All star game...

Technorgasm
04-30-2009, 08:11 AM

ummm.. . . I'll pass thanks

http://content.imagesocket.com/images/fat_girl_puking77b.gif

^ just a little to nasty for the public news thread. Link is still there, but not the IMG tags.

click at your own risk.

Wagner
04-30-2009, 08:14 AM
I agree. No mid season friendlies now that we have the V cup, and international competition. Now for the All star game...

Refund or credit towards next years tix??
or used for home playoff tix... :hump:

Ossington Mental Youth
04-30-2009, 08:22 AM

me too, id rather see the team succeed in the league and the canadian cup, we havent got the depth for a friendly midseason

rocker
04-30-2009, 09:09 AM

nope, I don't want to catch SWINE FLU from those pigs!

C.Ronaldo
04-30-2009, 09:33 AM
id like to see reserves vs b team, make it annual thing with something to win out of it

Its good for scouting

ensco
04-30-2009, 09:46 AM
denime, it's your show here, maybe it's boring to you and others, but I disagree, what Mo said there in today's Star was major, major news...

This stuff is shining an unexpected klieglight on the operations of the team. Reflexively putting anything about it in a 35 page thread, is the same thing as burying it.

There are other interesting elements. Like why did Mo spill this scoop to a Star reporter, and only a Star reporter, given how angry the team supposedly was with the Star for the Kelly/Columbus stories?

Like I said, it's your show.

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM
I agree ensco. I'm not sure what all the obfuscation is about, you are clearly discussing today's news in a thread dedicated to today's news.

Can we merge all the useless threads too? you know the ones about adverts that a player's image from years ago appeared in, the ridiculous polls about nothing, and how many giveaways we get at the gate?

Would we have anything left?

denime
04-30-2009, 10:07 AM
denime, it's your show here, maybe it's boring to you and others, but I disagree, what Mo said there in today's Star was major, major news...

This stuff is shining an unexpected klieglight on the operations of the team. Reflexively putting anything about it in a 35 page thread, is the same thing as burying it.

There are other interesting elements. Like why did Mo spill this scoop to a Star reporter, and only a Star reporter, given how angry the team supposedly was with the Star for the Kelly/Columbus stories?

Like I said, it's your show.

Man you should get laid ASAP,you and your conspiracies.
Whats next,why Carver gave interview to CBC and not Toronto Sun?

I think I'm not the only one who thinks that we should move on.

jeebus.

5. Trillum cup

CoachGT
04-30-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm with you, too, D!

keem-o-sabi
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
well we have to be careful, the sun has been showing the lovely ladies of toronto lately in the SSG section....there has been what, maybe 2 hot one's in the past 2 months?

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 10:41 AM
All right - I'm sorry. Let's sweep everything under the rug again. So what's the tally?

1) No DP (Swept Under)
2) Three managers in 2.2 years (Swept Under)
3) Constant ticket hikes (Swept Under)
4) No grass (Swept Under)
etc... etc... etc...

...Regulatory ignorance laden ambivalence (Priceless)

Opens curtains - looks inside - looks really different...

Jack
04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
All right - I'm sorry. Let's sweep everything under the rug again. So what's the tally?

1) No DP (Swept Under)
2) Three managers in 2.2 years (Swept Under)
3) Constant ticket hikes (Swept Under)
4) No grass (Swept Under)
etc... etc... etc...

...Regulatory ignorance laden ambivalence (Priceless)

Opens curtains - looks inside - looks really different...

1) No DP (Swept Under) - By whom? I am still waiting for the DP to arrive. This was promised for this season, but logic indicates it would be much easier to sign someone when the European season ends in the summer. Not too many players were available during our off-season.

2) Three managers in 2.2 years (Swept Under) - Swept under? It's all over the message board. Do a search and see how many hits you get on Carver.

3) Constant ticket hikes (Swept Under) - constant? Ticket prices have risen slightly, but at the end of the day, when the demand is so high and the waiting list is so long, did you really expect the prices to remain the same? This is a business, after all.

4) No grass (Swept Under) - this has not been swept under. The issue is being pressed forward and you must understand that something like this doesn't just happen at the snap of someone's fingers.

I don't get you, man. You make some good points but there are times where you make posts like this one that don't make any sense to me. :noidea:

And what are you implying with this statement?

Regulatory ignorance laden ambivalence (Priceless)

ensco
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Man you should get laid ASAP,you and your conspiracies.

I think I finally understand what happened to BBtB.

See you all later.

Roogsy
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Just to clarify...when was grass promised? Or do we simply add every issue we have with the organization as somehow being swept under?

If that's the case...let me add:

Not enough bathrooms (swept under)
Long concession lines (swept under)
Cheesy music (swept under)
Long waits to exit the parking lot (swept under)

To be serious, I can understand the issue with the DP and ticket hikes. I feel these are bad inclinations on the part of the club. Everything else though, is growing pains for a new club. If we can't be understanding of that...I think the problems are with us.

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Jack et al, in all honesty - it really grates on me what has happened around here. It dates back to an earlier time, but I think what 'ensco' just posted is a bit of an issue. In a round about way, I'm expressing that (like the merging of Craver threads, etc.) the ordinances around here have become limiting and that the rhetoric of 'members' tends to suffocate others. We have all been the problem at one point or another, but the solution seems so far away.

For so many that can't attend the games - this was a place to discuss the club vociferously and this is now dulled to a mild thunder. This is not because of the battle royal in the International Section, this is because so many individuals with strong ties to RPB and TFC have been rendered toothless by the metamorphoses of rhetoric.

To use a current scenario, this gathering place where all supporters can have a voice, became muffled. A moderator is generally an intermediary, but in the current form the moderation is a guide towards the scaffolding that we all must follow. This is why individuals who have brought a unique perspective tend to fritter away. I'm not suggesting that the issues that I posted do not have possible or pending solutions, I'm suggesting that they are not allowed to be discussed at each individuals leisure. They in essence are swept into mass threads to protect an unfathomable non-existent sanctity.

Now of course this post will induce a well structured protectionist rebuttal, but that will not placate the reality. It is not moderation, it is... I'll let others finish this sentence.

Best Regards!

Oldtimer
04-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Just to clarify...when was grass promised? Or do we simply add every issue we have with the organization as somehow being swept under?

If that's the case...let me add:

Not enough bathrooms (swept under)
Long concession lines (swept under)
Cheesy music (swept under)
Long waits to exit the parking lot (swept under)

You can add to that:

reasonable beer prices (swept under)

Oldtimer
04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
You should know, kingpin, that the mods here are hardly "stifling." So much garbage goes on here that would not be tolerated on the other Toronto SG's boards.

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 12:52 PM
You should know, kingpin, that the mods here are hardly "stifling." So much garbage goes on here that would not be tolerated on the other Toronto SG's boards.

You put the term "stifling" in scare quotes as if that is what I said - I did not say that. I am suggesting that 'organically imposed' rhetoric is filtering out those who have dissenting thoughts... Not just today - but over the last two years. Just my thoughts of course...

Jack
04-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Pat, please define the expression "placate the reality" as this is the first time I've ever heard anyone use that.

I understand "placate" to mean something along the lines of "calm, soothe, mollify, defuse, appease" but I'm trying to figure out how I would do that to the "reality".

We have, at the request of a large number of users and members on this message board, resolved to do our best to clean up a preponderance of threads all pertaining to the same discussion which could all best be carried out in the same place. There are times where, perhaps, threads are merged too quickly, but for the most part things have been kept civil and discussions are allowed to continue and people are allowed to express their opinions.

Given this, I also appreciate that sometimes it may seem a bit heavy-handed or stifling to have a discussion merged or sent to another thread as you perhaps feel your opinion should be heard by one and all. If your point is a valid one, people will respond in any thread. Given the fact it appeared in today's news, I feel the John Carver situation is a pertinent discussion in this thread, though some others may feel differently. You, of all people, should know that we allow people to express their opinions on a regular basis around here, sometimes to the point of going too far.

Funny that we are often accused of being too lenient and allowing "anyone" to post "whatever they want". My feeling is, between your feeling that discussion is stifled and that of others that anything goes, somewhere in the middle lies the reality of the situation.

It is what it is and I certainly think the moderators do a very good job, given the wide variety of opinion and points of view expressed on this message board on a daily basis.

The unfortunate reality is, you can't please all the people, all the time.

Roogsy
04-30-2009, 12:58 PM
+1

Add to that the fact that really the only time anyone on here has their posts edited or removed, (or even banned for that matter) is when they cross the line of civil behaviour. Not because of their opinions. And yet, there seems to be the perception around here of censorship, despite the lack of evidence of such. The false accusation really does get tiresome. Obviously some of you have never experienced true censorship.

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 12:59 PM

The definition of what is 'garbage' is questionable, and it differs from person to person. I can point to several pointless threads that will never get deleted or removed.

The merging of the carver threads, destroyed some valid discussions whether there should have been less threads on the same subject or not.

It's obvious that there is a contingency on this board that doesnt want carver discussed any more. Merging the threads buried our posts on the matter, and absolutely 'stifled' the debate.

Jack
04-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Generally speaking, if there are two threads on the same subject, they will be merged. I didn't read all the Carver threads that were merged, so I can't say one way or the other about that.

As for controlling the discussion, as long as people debate opinions and arguments, as opposed to attacking the person, we will not intervene. If someone starts to toss insults around, they can expect a warning/vacation.

Parkdale
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I understand "placate" to mean something along the lines of "calm, soothe, mollify, defuse, appease" but I'm trying to figure out how I would do that to the "reality".

xanax

:chillpill:

Roogsy
04-30-2009, 01:11 PM
The definition of what is 'garbage' is questionable, and it differs from person to person. I can point to several pointless threads that will never get deleted or removed.

The merging of the carver threads, destroyed some valid discussions whether there should have been less threads on the same subject or not.

It's obvious that there is a contingency on this board that doesnt want carver discussed any more. Merging the threads buried our posts on the matter, and absolutely 'stifled' the debate.

You make it sound like there is an agenda. And yet you overlook the fact that these "merges" happen quite often. The obvious and most common time is post-game discussions.

The difference is that the Carver threads were allowed to go on for days as opposed to the game day threads that are usually merged by the next day. Carver's resignation was big news and that merited an exception, but at the end of the day, it fell under the same standards as the other topics.

Unless you can point to glaring and consistent contradictions to this policy, all you are really doing is proving our point. All topics, whatever they may be, will be merged after some time if they are relevant to each other. The board users and members have demanded it and unless the opposite happens, it will continue to be applied.

Maple Leaf Red
04-30-2009, 01:15 PM

I don't think I quite grasp the issue with merging threads. It gets done on every single message board worth its salt.

I don't know if you go on Red And White Kop much but you can't start topics right off the bat and constantly starting duplicate/useless threads costs you that right as well. In my opinion it helps foster better discussion if everyone doesn't start their own threads in order to discuss the exact same topic.

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Pat, please define the expression "placate the reality" as this is the first time I've ever heard anyone use that.

We have, at the request of a large number of users and members on this message board, resolved to do our best to clean up a preponderance of threads all pertaining to the same discussion which could all best be carried out in the same place. There are times where, perhaps, threads are merged too quickly, but for the most part things have been kept civil and discussions are allowed to continue and people are allowed to express their opinions.

Given this, I also appreciate that sometimes it may seem a bit heavy-handed or stifling to have a discussion merged or sent to another thread as you perhaps feel your opinion should be heard by one and all. If your point is a valid one, people will respond in any thread. Given the fact it appeared in today's news, I feel the John Carver situation is a pertinent discussion in this thread, though some others may feel differently. You, of all people, should know that we allow people to express their opinions on a regular basis around here, sometimes to the point of going too far.

Funny that we are often accused of being too lenient and allowing "anyone" to post "whatever they want". My feeling is, between your feeling that discussion is stifled and that of others that anything goes, somewhere in the middle lies the reality of the situation.

It is what it is and I certainly think the moderators do a very good job, given the wide variety of opinion and points of view expressed on this message board on a daily basis.

The unfortunate reality is, you can't please all the people, all the time.

placate |ˈplākāt|
verb [ trans. ]
make (someone) less angry or hostile : they attempted to placate the students with promises. See note at pacify .

Creative license suggests I'm correct - individuals are a reality. Maybe propitiate (though animate) would have been a better choice, but then I would be accused of using "big words". I can't win because I don't live here - but you will see that individuals without bolded monikers will in many instances agree.

denime
04-30-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't think I quite grasp the issue with merging threads. It gets done on every single message board worth its salt.

I don't know if you go on Red And White Kop much but you can't start topics right off the bat and constantly starting duplicate/useless threads costs you that right as well. In my opinion it helps foster better discussion if everyone doesn't start their own threads in order to discuss the exact same topic.

Really, hmmmmm

Something that should be considered for this board too.

OK, Mods it's :grouphug: time ! :D

Roogsy
04-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah...because "placate" is much better! LOL!

Jack
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
placate |ˈplākāt|
verb [ trans. ]
make (someone) less angry or hostile : they attempted to placate the students with promises. See note at pacify .

Creative license suggests I'm correct - individuals are a reality. Maybe propitiate (though animate) would have been a better choice, but then I would be accused of using "big words". I can't win because I don't live here - but you will see that individuals without bolded monikers will in many instances agree.
And there is the crux of your argument. That the individuals without bolded monikers are somehow persecuted, which is just plain not true. But I realize you are convinced of this and I doubt anything I can say will change your mind.

I know what placate means, Pat. I'm trying to figure out how you do that to a reality. How do you placate, propitiate, appease (or any other synonym you can find in your thesaurus) a reality? The size of the word does not matter. How you put the words together still has to make sense.

Do you mean I will try to portray my point of view as reality? Because I freely admit to doing so. That's what human beings do when they express themselves.

denime
04-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Now this is too deep for me. Can we talk soccer,please?

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 01:31 PM
And there is the crux of your argument. That the individuals without bolded monikers are somehow persecuted, which is just plain not true. But I realize you are convinced of this and I doubt anything I can say will change your mind.

I know what placate means, Pat. I'm trying to figure out how you do that to a reality. How do you placate, propitiate, appease (or any other synonym you can find in your thesaurus) a reality? The size of the word does not matter. How you put the words together still has to make sense.

Do you mean I will try to portray my point of view as reality? Because I freely admit to doing so. That's what human beings do when they express themselves.

Two words: "creative license" - read again and then respond accordingly. As I said earlier, you do not have an overall perspective as you are immersed.

'persecuted' persecute |ˈpərsəˌkyoōt|

verb [ trans. ] (often be persecuted)

subject (someone) to hostility and ill-treatment, esp. because of their race or political or religious beliefs : Jews who had been persecuted by the Nazi regime.

harass or annoy (someone) persistently

Your word not mine, this is rhetoric. Simple. That is all.

Jack
04-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Creative license still has to make sense, Pat. I'm still trying to figure out what you are trying to say by "placate a reality". It would be great if you could just explain it in "non-creative-license-ese" for those of us who don't speak the same language as you.

By saying something that makes no sense and then telling me it's creative license, you haven't come any closer to making me understand what you mean by that statement, which was my original question.

You think you have an overall perspective from the other side of the ocean because of what you read on a message board?

I think neither of use should be so bold as to claim we can see it all.

Parkdale
04-30-2009, 01:45 PM
'persecuted' persecute |ˈpərsəˌkyoōt|

verb [ trans. ] (often be persecuted)

subject (someone) to hostility and ill-treatment, esp. because of their race or political or religious beliefs : Jews who had been persecuted by the Nazi regime.

godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies)

is an informal adage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adage) created by Mike Godwin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Godwin) in 1990. The adage states: "As a Usenet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet) discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazis) or Hitler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler) approaches 1."[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law#cite_note-canonical_version-1)[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law#cite_note-WiredMCM-2)

Godwin's Law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the use of arguments in the reductio ad Hitlerum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum) form.

The rule does not make any statement about whether any particular reference or comparison to Adolf Hitler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler) or the Nazis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazism) might be appropriate, but only asserts that the likelihood of such a reference or comparison arising increases in direct proportion to the length of the discussion. It is precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued,[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law#cite_note-CRDFSDA-3) that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact. Although in one of its early forms Godwin's Law referred specifically to Usenet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet) newsgroup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup) discussions,[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law#cite_note-Godwin_1991-4) the law is now applied to any threaded online discussion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_discussion): electronic mailing lists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_mailing_list), message boards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum), chat rooms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chat_room), and more recently blog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog) comment threads and wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki) talk pages..... AND WEB FORUMS

in short, you drop the Nazi angle into any argument, and you lose.

Maple Leaf Red
04-30-2009, 01:50 PM
This is all pretty ridiculous. Things get done here that get done everywhere else online but here it's part of an attempt to stifle any dissent aimed towards MLSE/Mo/TFC?

Is there a different internet that you guys have been on all of this time?

trane
04-30-2009, 01:54 PM
You are right, Kingpin, I feel like a persecuted minority on this board, as an Italian, AC Milan supporter, Everton supporter who does not drink the MLSE koolaid, I am with you brother.

NOT-

seriously man, while some of your points have some validity, there has to be some give an take and for the most part I am OK with it. We all cross the line, I do more then others, and personlay KingPin I do not know you, but have to believe that much of your comments are an attempt to undermine the group. Not because of this post, but your history takes away your credibility.

Sonny Cheeba
04-30-2009, 01:56 PM
hahaha trane.... did you just say "NOT"

you're my hero

trane
04-30-2009, 01:58 PM
^ Yeah, I got the timing down from one of my heros, Borat.

shwade
04-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Is the Sportsnet Carver video interview working for anyone?

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Parkdale - It was a cut and paste from the Mac dictionary. Nice attempt though... fail.

Trane - all good - but do you really know the 'history'? PM me, you'll hear a real truth... You couldn't make this stuff up - it's epic.

rocker
04-30-2009, 02:53 PM
can you guys stop quoting Kingpin in your posts please?

I've got him in my ignore list and when you quote him I have to read what he wrote. :(

trane
04-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Parkdale - It was a cut and paste from the Mac dictionary. Nice attempt though... fail.

Trane - all good - but do you really know the 'history'? PM me, you'll hear a real truth... You couldn't make this stuff up - it's epic.

No Ill feelings, man, but I am not into he said she said stuff. I understand that there are two sides of every issue, but this is about a group that is larger then any one of us. I for keeping it civil, and certain conversations are to be kept behind closed doors, and some of the things said in the "thread" should not have been aired in forum open to non-members, and to members like me who were not realy privy to the inner discussions of the leadership. It was not necesary. That were it comes from on my side.

Maple Leaf Red
04-30-2009, 03:09 PM
I feel like a persecuted minority on this board, as an Italian, AC Milan supporter, Everton supporter.

Some people just bring it upon themselves ;)

trane
04-30-2009, 03:15 PM
^ Well I know that LFC fans believe in persecution, but normal people are against it. ;)

RedRum
04-30-2009, 03:41 PM
+1

Add to that the fact that really the only time anyone on here has their posts edited or removed, (or even banned for that matter) is when they cross the line of civil behaviour. Not because of their opinions. And yet, there seems to be the perception around here of censorship, despite the lack of evidence of such. The false accusation really does get tiresome. Obviously some of you have never experienced true censorship.

With all due respect, your statement is false.

Except for the lack of evidence part, that is correct - in that once the post is deleted it no longer exists for anyone to judge whether it crossed the line of civil behaviour or crossed the line of things you just dont talk about on the boards.

My deleted post fell into the latter category I can assure you. Pissed me off to the extent that I decided to leave RPB.

Not pinning this on you Roogsy. There are several in RPB leadership roles that I have a great deal of respect for. There are also some that have egos the size of Collin Samuels' gut that censor at will, without justification or even sending you a pm explaining why your post was deleted.

You guys dont want to admit to that, whatever. It says here it is the truth.

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 03:50 PM

Except for the lack of evidence part, that is correct - in that once the post is deleted it no longer exists for anyone to judge whether it crossed the line of civil behaviour or crossed the line of things you just dont talk about on the boards.

My deleted post fell into the latter category I can assure you. Pissed me off to the extent that I decided to leave RPB.

Not pinning this on you Roogsy. There are several in RPB leadership roles that I have a great deal of respect for. There are also some that have egos the size of Collin Samuels' gut that censor at will, without justification or even sending you a pm explaining why your post was deleted.

Answers?

Roogsy
04-30-2009, 04:00 PM

I don't know the instance of which you speak Redrum. I am inclined to believe it was the exception to the rule. For example...even in small issues when a board user gets an infraction point (not a ban, just a warning) many times there are discussions among the mods as to whether it was justified or not and if it wasn't...the warning has been reversed.

Mods make mistakes. We are regular TFC supporters just like you. But when we do err...believe me it does not go unoticed. There is a system in place to hopefully make us accountable. Starting with other mods and right up to the executive. If you felt the issue was big enough to leave, I would've hoped that you also felt it was big enough to take up with one of the above mentioned persons. Then it could have been dealt with and if it truly was an unjust action against you, it would have been corrected. In my mind, that is a reasonable solution to a problem like that. But if you didn't do so, I am not sure I can accept your rejection of my point as being anything more than sour grapes.

You chose to leave the group for reasons that obviously you felt were strong enough. The problem I feel with what happens on this board is that people are not able to separate the issues on this board from the support the group gives in real life. There are many people who have stopped using the board for various reasons but are still RPB and still contribute to the effort. We all have choices. If you left over the ego of one person, then it was eventually going to happen because there are massive egos on this board and eventually one of them was going to get to you. It happens on every board. Personality conflicts are unavoidable when dealing with so many people, moderator or not.

But since we don't get complaints about censorship other than from the usual crowd of trolls who usually generate more complaints by others than they submit themselves, then I am inclined to believe that this board is doing a good job keeping varying points of views discussed. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Cashcleaner
04-30-2009, 04:00 PM
SYNERGY!!!

Just wanted to throw that out there. Carry on, people.

Jack
04-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Jeremy I have it on very good authority that you did get several PMs from Phil about why he deleted your post (which was an angry rant calling people out and calling them cunts). Your sentiments in the rant were not too far off, but the delivery was, unfortunately.

I understand you exchanged several PMs with him about this. True or not true?

ensco
04-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Moderators have the right to delete or merge posts at will, sure. Doesn't mean I think they always get it right.

The rest of us have the right to stay, or to leave.

And I have the right to think that maybe a mod would think twice before laying on repeated and increasingly personal insults, over several days, towards those making Carver posts.

Roogsy
04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
A poster (mod or not) has no right to put up personal insults regardless of the topic.

Did you report the comment? Or are you simply characterizing a disagreeing point of view as an insult?

Some people on this board can't tell the difference. Which I think is part of the problem.

denime
04-30-2009, 04:10 PM
SYNERGY!!!

Just wanted to throw that out there. Carry on, people.

Cash that is a big word and need explanation.

Let me do it for you.

Synergy (from the Greek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language) syn-ergos, συνεργός meaning working together) is the term used to describe a situation where different entities cooperate advantageously for a final outcome. Simply defined, it means that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Now :topic: ,writing a big long sentences using big words without making any sense.:hide:

denime
04-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Moderators have the right to delete or merge posts at will, sure. Doesn't mean I think they always get it right.

The rest of us have the right to stay, or to leave.

And I have the right to think that maybe a mod would think twice before laying on repeated and increasingly personal insults, over several days, towards those making Carver posts.

Why didn't you reported,who was it,do you have any proof?It must be still in one of 67632238 Carver posts,none of them was deleted,only merged.

And welcome back ;)

DOMIN8R
04-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I count 3 other online TFC specific boards and then there is BS. So many places to post and read. I have a hard time choosing between them all. I guess if I ever get tired of coming to the RPB board I can always go eleswhere right? Right??

RedRum
04-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Jeremy I have it on very good authority that you did get several PMs from Phil about why he deleted your post (which was an angry rant calling people out and calling them cunts). Your sentiments in the rant were not too far off, but the delivery was, unfortunately.

I understand you exchanged several PMs with him about this. True or not true?

Yes Jack, I did post a rant that I admitted to Phil was both was beligerent and deserved to be removed. This is not the post I am alluding to.

trane
04-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Yes, we should not trade insults, but also in a footy discusion, things shuold be taken either way with a grain of salt, things are said in heated debate, I do not take them to heart, at least not for long. It simply happens when you have strong feelings about this issues.

Jack
04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes Jack, I did post a rant that I admitted to Phil was both was beligerent and deserved to be removed. This is not the post I am alluding to.
If there is another one, I'd love to hear which it was and hear a bit more about the situation. There are always avenues open for discussion and I'm always available to talk about stuff that's bugging people.

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
If there is another one, I'd love to hear which it was and hear a bit more about the situation. There are always avenues open for discussion and I'm always available to talk about stuff that's bugging people.

Sorry Jack - I have to call bullshit again. Yes, you are willing to have a discussion, but at times you are not willing to do anything about it. That is in my case anyway - and this is an issue over 1.5 years ago. I've mentioned the issue to you - you said it would be altered - and nothing was done.

trane
04-30-2009, 04:29 PM
^ Can this be moved to the member section, if we are going to get into internal leadrship type issues. I am not sure were it is going but that is were it seems to be going. I understand that some of these are importatn to everyone, but seriously, I do not what to see the repeat of the "thread".

Roogsy
04-30-2009, 04:34 PM
I think it should just be closed. It no longer qualifies as the daily "news" thread anyways. If someone wants to continue raising these points, it shouldn't be in this thread.

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 04:36 PM
^ Can this be moved to the member section, if we are going to get into internal leadrship type issues. I am not sure were it is going but that is were it seems to be going. I understand that some of these are importatn to everyone, but seriously, I do not what to see the repeat of the "thread".

I'm not a member - so I would be excluded from the discussion. But I'm done - Jack can PM me.

Jack
04-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Sorry Jack - I have to call bullshit again. Yes, you are willing to have a discussion, but at times you are not willing to do anything about it. That is in my case anyway - and this is an issue over 1.5 years ago. I've mentioned the issue to you - you said it would be altered - and nothing was done.
Sorry Pat, but I was talking to Jeremy. Perhaps I should take the conversation to PMs.

I am open to discussion at all times. I will take the action I see as appropriate to the situation.

Your continued participation in this forum is only because of my intervention and after your vicious personal attacks on several members of RPB, I suggest you not push your luck on this stuff as you are on very shaky moral ground.

You wanted your name up in lights in the history of the group and I said I would see what could be done about this. I consulted quite a few people about this and their version of events was much different than yours.

The Kingpin
04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Sorry Pat, but I was talking to Jeremy. Perhaps I should take the conversation to PMs.

I am open to discussion at all times. I will take the action I see as appropriate to the situation.

Your continued participation in this forum is only because of my intervention and after your vicious personal attacks on several members of RPB, I suggest you not push your luck on this stuff as you are on very shaky moral ground.

You wanted your name up in lights in the history of the group and I said I would see what could be done about this. I consulted quite a few people about this and their version of events was much different than yours.

Enlighten me - and I was attacked both personally on and off line long before I ever took my first stab - and you know this. Simple. Done.

Jack
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Done is right.

I'm not going down this road with you.

Ladies Love Julius James
04-30-2009, 04:47 PM
If everyone wanked as much as I did, this thread would be a happier place :D

Jack does a fine job. The mods (well some) go off at times but who doesn't. The place has taken steps to improve.

Parkdale
04-30-2009, 05:00 PM
If everyone wanked as much as I did, this thread would be a happier place :D

Jack does a fine job. The mods (well some) go off at times but who doesn't. The place has taken steps to improve.

leave it to a guy from Random Chat to put it all in perspective
(the part about improving, not the part about wanking)

Kevvv
04-30-2009, 05:14 PM
I say again: what is the problem with a team appointing an assistant as interim manager when their head coach resigns/is fired during the course of the season? This happens all over the sporting world without a conspiracy theory attached. I don't understand how the appointment of Cummins as interim manager is being seen as some sinister move to diminish the quality of the team and lower our expectations.

If Cummins can't do the job, then he will be removed. In the mean time, the search for another manager can be carried out, but you still need someone to take the reins.

I certainly don't expect any less of my team than I did a week ago, regardless of who is running the show. The results on the pitch will bear this out in time. If Cummins can't get it right, someone else will have to be brought in. . I don't think there is a long queue for the position, especially since Carver gave no real indication he was on his way out.

Pompey moved Paul Hart from Dir of Youth Ops to caretaker manager, that's been a pretty sound move so far - minimal disruption to the team, known entity. I don't begrudge TFC for doing the same. I'm sure MLSE can see the financial benefit of having a more successful team; added revenue from playoffs, CONCACAF success, or higher TV numbers will more than offset the perceived gap between Cummins' salary and a proper MLS manager's salary.

leave it to a guy from Random Chat to put it all in perspective
(the part about improving, not the part about wanking)

Both points are valid.

Parkdale
04-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Both points are valid.

well don't point that thing in my direction

RedRum
04-30-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't know the instance of which you speak Redrum. I am inclined to believe it was the exception to the rule. For example...even in small issues when a board user gets an infraction point (not a ban, just a warning) many times there are discussions among the mods as to whether it was justified or not and if it wasn't...the warning has been reversed.

Mods make mistakes. We are regular TFC supporters just like you. But when we do err...believe me it does not go unoticed. There is a system in place to hopefully make us accountable. Starting with other mods and right up to the executive. If you felt the issue was big enough to leave, I would've hoped that you also felt it was big enough to take up with one of the above mentioned persons. Then it could have been dealt with and if it truly was an unjust action against you, it would have been corrected. In my mind, that is a reasonable solution to a problem like that. But if you didn't do so, I am not sure I can accept your rejection of my point as being anything more than sour grapes.

You chose to leave the group for reasons that obviously you felt were strong enough. The problem I feel with what happens on this board is that people are not able to separate the issues on this board from the support the group gives in real life. There are many people who have stopped using the board for various reasons but are still RPB and still contribute to the effort. We all have choices. If you left over the ego of one person, then it was eventually going to happen because there are massive egos on this board and eventually one of them was going to get to you. It happens on every board. Personality conflicts are unavoidable when dealing with so many people, moderator or not.

But since we don't get complaints about censorship other than from the usual crowd of trolls who usually generate more complaints by others than they submit themselves, then I am inclined to believe that this board is doing a good job keeping varying points of views discussed. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

This is not a typical anonymous internet message board. It is our way of communicating with each other for purposes of support as our time spent together at home/away games is relatively minute in the scheme of things (non-existent for some ;)).

Just as I (as a participating RPB member) would never write anything here I wouldn't say to someone in person, a mod deleting a post that is in no way deserving of being deleted is no different than putting duct tape over a members mouth at the tailgate. My opinion anyway.

You can pass the buck all you want and say it was one mods ego. Bottom line: that person was chosen to represent the will of RPB, and in essence is speaking on behalf of group leadership.

mlsintoronto
04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Soooo you're telling me that ensco resigned the board because of the refs?

I don't think he left on his own. If you look back there's a pattern that emerges. I think Jack got fed up and did a deal. There's more to this story for sure.

Either way I look the announcement that LucaGol is his replacement.

Parkdale
04-30-2009, 05:30 PM
^ you stay out of this or we'll start making up rumours and sending them around the internet..... and YOU might be one of them

ensco
04-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Soooo you're telling me that ensco resigned the board because of the refs?

I don't think he left on his own. If you look back there's a pattern that emerges. I think Jack got fed up and did a deal. There's more to this story for sure.

Either way I look the announcement that LucaGol is his replacement.

Yesssss! How did I not think of that?
(Is there a way to un-resign, by putting a virtual paper bag over your head and then dramatically reveal yourself, in cyberspace?)

As to the rest of it, I'm saving that for your memoirs.

mlsintoronto
04-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Yesssss! How did I not think of that?
(Is there a way to un-resign, by putting a virtual paper bag over your head and then dramatically reveal yourself, in cyberspace?)

As to the rest of it, I'm saving that for your memoirs.

I was concerned that with the absence of a smiley and given the heightened sensitivity around here some might not get that! :)

Jack
04-30-2009, 06:03 PM
I was concerned that with the absence of a smiley and given the heightened sensitivity around here some might not get that! :)
How dare you make a sarcastic post without a smiley?

ensco
04-30-2009, 06:11 PM

You don't need a smiley, you are the peacemaker.

Jack
04-30-2009, 06:16 PM
You don't need a smiley, you are the peacemaker.
Smileys are required. :drinking::hulk::taz::hide:

ensco
04-30-2009, 06:18 PM

:o....:)

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 06:20 PM

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w180/ExiledRed/exred1.gif

That's what I have to say to that.

mlsintoronto
04-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Re: heightened sensitivity....my mistake.

Who replaced the hand sanitizer with this "KY jelly for Her?"

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Re: heightened sensitivity....my mistake.

Who replaced the hand sanitizer with this "KY jelly for Her?"

I blame the ref.

mlsintoronto
04-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I blame the ref.

you just gave me an idea for the referee locker room for the Columbus game. Mmmwwaaaahahahahahaha

Jack
04-30-2009, 06:32 PM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w180/ExiledRed/exred1.gif

That's what I have to say to that.
:dita:

ExiledRed
04-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Do you want a better idea?

http://www.chemistryland.com/CHM107Lab/Lab7/Slime/slimedHands.jpg

sully
04-30-2009, 06:35 PM
[/quote]

..can't eat my dinner now.:eek:

jloome
04-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Well, on the broader point, which Paul had so skilfully diffused.....

There will be any number of us who, seeing Carver go up to the box at the precise game when the tactics and lineup (Dichio, vitti) changed who assumed he had been told to change them.

Then there will be others who assumed that, having been told how to run the team, he said 'fine, I'll go upstairs until I'm given back control.'

Then there might be even more who assume that Mo then said 'get back on the sidelines and stop being an arse.'

To which, some will assume, Carver said.... no, bugger it, this isn't working out, I'm heading home.

But that would all be presumption, so why bother? They're unlikely ever to reveal the actual breakdown, and continued noodling about it here -- not necessarily at the press level with the team, because that's their job -- with nothing upon which to base said noodling is a waste of time.

Jack
04-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, on the broader point, which Paul had so skilfully diffused.....

There will be any number of us who, seeing Carver go up to the box at the precise game when the tactics and lineup (Dichio, vitti) changed who assumed he had been told to change them.

Then there will be others who assumed that, having been told how to run the team, he said 'fine, I'll go upstairs until I'm given back control.'

Then there might be even more who assume that Mo then said 'get back on the sidelines and stop being an arse.'

To which, some will assume, Carver said.... no, bugger it, this isn't working out, I'm heading home.

But that would all be presumption, so why bother? They're unlikely ever to reveal the actual breakdown, and continued noodling about it here -- not necessarily at the press level with the team, because that's their job -- with nothing upon which to base said noodling is a waste of time.

But that is the whole point of message boards!

H Bomb
04-30-2009, 07:29 PM

but why on earth would we want to be anything like any other messageboard? why accept that mediocrity? :cool:

mlsintoronto
04-30-2009, 07:30 PM

Yeah what Jack said! And also? When I know something that you don't it makes me feel warm and tingly!

D'oh!

ensco
04-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Only if you agree with the speculation/theories.

jloome, my conclusion from the Carver episode is that virtually everyone suffers from a kind of confirmation bias - they are only interested in data or opinions that confirm what they already believe. This is particularly true because, imo, Carver is a good guy who did some odd things.

Good night.

Jack
04-30-2009, 08:01 PM
but why on earth would we want to be anything like any other messageboard? why accept that mediocrity? :cool:

Ah...but don't we want to be more like the messageboards in England? They don't have playoffs! The thread with the most posts is the champion.

Yeah what Jack said! And also? When I know something that you don't it makes me feel warm and tingly!

D'oh!
Spill it. :cool:

H Bomb
04-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Ah...but don't we want to be more like the messageboards in England? They don't have playoffs! The thread with the most posts is the champion.

Spill it. :cool:

Well considering anything English must be better I assume they just don't have messageboards.....or they just all agree with each other as they would be naturally more intelligent (coz dere English) :canada:

AL-MO
04-30-2009, 08:11 PM

LOL

:smilielol5:

colman1860
04-30-2009, 11:41 PM
There is no way shes only 18, she looks older than me for crying out loud, and i still get ID'd at BMO every week by the same Beer Girl.. :( and im almost 30. :(

Ouch lol...I know Brittany, she is only 18. Ironically however, she got ID'd too when I was out with her and friends last Saturday...pays to have a fake :)