PDA

View Full Version : Cummins interim head coach

denime
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
From NP

Posted: April 29, 2009, 10:56 AM by Eric Koreen :noidea:

Toronto FC names Chris Cummins interim head coach

Toronto FC has named 37-year-old Chris Cummins its interim head coach in the wake of John Carver's resignation last week. The club made the announcement at a press conference at BMO Field on Wednesday afternoon. :noidea:

It is Cummins' first job as a head coach, but he has spent the last 16 years in professional coaching, including with English sides Watford and Luton Town. He had served as Carver's lead assistant since last May.

Read More (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2009/04/29/toronto-fc-names-chris-cummins-interim-head-coach.aspx)

H Bomb
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
perhaps a premade article that they made so they could just post it as soon as the announcement was made and then accidentally posted to that website....? who knows

loconet
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Any lottery numbers posted by the same guy?

denime
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
National Post must have Cristal ball,they know who is new coach before the TFC made the announcement.

Maybe NP can tell us what the score is going to be vs KKCrew?

LucaGol
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, to be fair ... if the announcement is anything but Chris Cummins Interim Head Coach, I think not one person would be shocked.

Pachuco
04-29-2009, 12:04 PM
haha, this is funny. I want Nick Dasovic to be the coach now, just so I can laugh at the NP

Pachuco
04-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Well, to be fair ... if the announcement is anything but Chris Cummins Interim Head Coach, I think not one person would be shocked.

NO reason to be fair to NP, they don't know fair :)

Super
04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Great stuff. I really like Cummins, and I hope he'll do well. He certainly seems to know what he's doing, and we did play a great game last Saturday.

I'm happy with the decision. Beats the waiting, and the speculation, and the uncertainty this can bring to our players as well. Quick decision made by Mo on this one, and I give him credit for that.

yanggoh
04-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Organizations usually make copies of press releases and speeches about to be made available to the press the morning of the event or sometimes the night before. The actual press conference themselves are more for Q&A and public consumption than actual breaking news.

colman1860
04-29-2009, 12:42 PM
http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/the-future-has-cumm.html

Jack
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
LOL

I saw that...jumped the gun a bit :D

Oldtimer
04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
More on Cummins....

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090429&content_id=246046&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Cummins holds both his UEFA "A" and UEFA "B" coaching license.

One of Cummins greatest achievements at Watford was the development of forward Ashley Young.

Nice.

scooter
04-29-2009, 01:14 PM
sounds great -- time to move on up and kick those painters butts

come on saturday and come on you reds

MUFC_Niagara
04-29-2009, 01:15 PM
I think is a good move....I am happy to see Cummins is being given an opportunity.

lips
04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Glad they gave him the chance not some face the team and staff would have to get use to

denime
04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
It is all over the news,even TSN has the story :eek:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/626382

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090429/090429_tfc_coach/20090429/?hub=CP24Sports

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=276934

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/04/29/cummins_chris_tfc_coach/

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090429.wspttorontofc29/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

ExiledRed
04-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Highly dubious about this.

We will see as time progresses.

KRO
04-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't know if this is old news to this forum but Cummins had a recent 'windfall' as a result of discovering Ashley Young

Guardian.co.uk, Friday 12 December 2008 00.30 GMT

Watford are close to reaching a financial settlement with their former assistant academy director Chris Cummins, who is owed about £235,000 for the part he played in bringing Ashley Young to the club before the player was transferred to Aston Villa for £9.5m last year. Cummins, who was sacked two weeks before Young joined Villa, has been in dispute with Watford for more than 18 months but the Championship club now appears ready to settle the matter.
It is understood that Cummins, who took over as assistant manager at Toronto FC, the Major League Soccer club, earlier this year, had a clause in his contract when he started working for Watford as a scout in the 1990s that entitled him to 2.5% of any transfer fee over £500,000 for any player he discovered who was subsequently sold by the club. Having spotted Young as a 10-year-old and later brought the player to the club, he would appear to have a fairly clear-cut case, yet Watford have dragged their heels.
Cummins, who spent more than a decade at Vicarage Road and was highly respected for his work with the club's academy players, has been forced to take legal advice although sources at the club indicate that the board is keen to bring the matter to an end.
It is believed Watford, who are facing uncertain times off the field following the resignation of their former chairman, Graham Simpson, will offer close to a six-figure sum.
Those familiar with Cummins's work at the club believe that amount is the least he deserves. During his time with the academy set-up he nurtured promising youngsters, including Hameur Bouazza, Adrian Mariappa, Al Bangura and Lloyd Doyley, who all progressed to the first team. Most significantly he not only identified Young as a schoolboy but encouraged the England international to remain at the club when senior figures at Vicarage Road doubted he had the physical strength to become a professional footballer.
Young elected to stay with Watford on a non-contract basis despite being rejected as a 15-year-old and, eventually, signed a professional contract. He went on to make his first-team debut under Ray Lewington in 2003 and, having thrived when Aidy Boothroyd took over as manager two years later, was transferred to Aston Villa at the start of last year for a fee rising to £9.5m.

TorontoBlades
04-29-2009, 01:42 PM
In Cumming I trust

Mojo
04-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Organizations usually make copies of press releases and speeches about to be made available to the press the morning of the event or sometimes the night before. The actual press conference themselves are more for Q&A and public consumption than actual breaking news.

Orgs never announce anything specific regarding a press conference they're holding... if they're announcing a new coach they won't say who. If theyre firing someone they won't say it until the conference. It creates better news and forces them to show up to hear the news.

MUFC_Niagara
04-29-2009, 01:45 PM
In Cumming I trust

Who does Cumming coach? ;)

MUFC_Niagara
04-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Highly dubious about this.

We will see as time progresses.

Hmmm....explain...

ExiledRed
04-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Hmmm....explain...

His credentials aren't any better than Carver's were. He has been here throughout the failure of last season as assistant coach, it's not clear that the 4-3-3 was his idea, and if not, we've yet to see what his personal tactical acumen is like.

I would like an experienced coach, with a winning record. Cummins' is only 37 and his abilities are unclear.

Youth development is great, but it's not an indicator of tactical or coaching excellence.

Cummin's has my full support, but I maintain the right to be skeptical.

Yohan
04-29-2009, 02:35 PM
His credentials aren't any better than Carver's were. He has been here throughout the failure of last season as assistant coach, it's not clear that the 4-3-3 was his idea, and if not, we've yet to see what his personal tactical acumen is like.

I would like an experienced coach, with a winning record. Cummins' is only 37 and his abilities are unclear.

Youth development is great, but it's not an indicator of tactical or coaching excellence.

Maybe a bit unfair comparison, but cummins apparently has 16yrs as a coach.

By comparison, Roy Keane has...

Beach_Red
04-29-2009, 02:44 PM

I'm not being sarcastic or anything, but I wonder if it matters what league the coach's winning record was in?

ExiledRed
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm not being sarcastic or anything, but I wonder if it matters what league the coach's winning record was in?

MLS would be preferable, other leagues are too different to be able to judge how easy the transition would be.

ExiledRed
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
By comparison, Roy Keane has...

promoted a team to the EPL in his first season as a manager.

Yohan
04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
promoted a team to the EPL in his first season as a manager.
exactly my point.

both are young managers with potential, though Keane is a bit of maverick

Toronto_Bhoy
04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Cummins people…CUMMINS!

He's just replaced Carter as coach and you can't even spell his name correctly…retards…

SanStarko
04-29-2009, 03:18 PM
As expected really. They have their chance now, so let's see what they can do. He talks a good game that's for sure, hopefully he can back it up. There's no real harm in the appointment, it gives Cummins the chance to stake his claim and also gives time for Mo to look around for other possibilities.

Did think it was a bit interesting that both Mo and Dasovic both commented on Cummins having coached the last two games.

Oh, and is it just me who can't help but be amazed by all the different facial expressions Cummins goes through when he's talking?

Beach_Red
04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
MLS would be preferable, other leagues are too different to be able to judge how easy the transition would be.

So other than another MLS head coach who's won a championship, an MLS assistant from a championship team would be the best choice? Although you'd have to weigh that against an assistant who knows the players here.

Aren't there a few MLS coaches who had experience in the NCAA?

Pigfynn
04-29-2009, 03:22 PM
In response to San Starko...

^^Or "If I'm Honest" and "Obviously" oh and it's the sneering that I can't get over. Seems a funny dude though.

Darlofletch
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
In response to San Starko...

^^Or "If I'm Honest" and "Obviously" oh and it's the sneering that I can't get over. Seems a funny dude though.

His expressions/accent/turns of phrase all really reminded me of someone, took me into his second press conference before it clicked for me.

Ricky Gervais/David Brent.

The Kingpin
04-29-2009, 04:20 PM

This was lost in another thread - but I have addressed this. Unfortunately I really believe the following is true, on so may levels, thus we may end up mired in mediocrity: "...This club deserves a highly experienced manager, not someone looking to potentially advance their career performing alternate roles. Anyone accepting less than a high profile manager with an exceptional history of some sort is certainly selling themselves and the club short. This is rather archetypal for the Toronto fan - it's as if we don't deserve it for some reason.

There's no hiding the fact that the quintessential 'Soccer' fan is generally a working class individual, so there generally seems to be an M.O. that suggests giving it to the little guy, as most of us are the 'little guy'. Why not strive for someone much bigger? That is my question.

Will they come? I guess you have to ask first.
Can the club afford it...? Yes, but will they?

All a very interesting development - I really believe that Carver didn't realise how bad the MLS is... Just as Beckham and others have discovered. Yes it's "our league" as the rhetoric goes... But it's "our" league with generally very poor standards. Just my opinion as I sit on my couch - which is worth..."

Just some initial thoughts...

ensco
04-29-2009, 04:26 PM

Well, here's hoping Cummins can handle it. Who knows, maybe he can. I'm certainly pulling for him.

While I understand that bringing in a brand new face would be disruptive, isn't it convenient that this solution is the cheapest?

This has a classic MLSE hallmark about it - when in doubt, cheap out.

The Kingpin
04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Well, here's hoping Cummins can handle it. Who knows, maybe he can. I'm certainly pulling for him.

While I understand that bringing in a brand new face would be disruptive, isn't it convenient that this solution is the cheapest?

This has a classic MLSE hallmark about it - when in doubt, cheap out.

In a roundabout way we are all saying the same thing.... Now watch the minions slop it up like a junk yard dog. I hate to say it to be honest - but it really is the reality.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-29-2009, 04:50 PM
All a very interesting development - I really believe that Carver didn't realise how bad the MLS is... Just as Beckham and others have discovered. Yes it's "our league" as the rhetoric goes... But it's "our" league with generally very poor standards. Just my opinion as I sit on my couch - which is worth..."

Just some initial thoughts...

Bang on Kingpin! I said the same yesterday…as far as the league…"it is what it is"…a chance to get out have a pint and meet people with the same love of the game.

I'm guessing Carver was sold a "bill of goods" and has realized what the "goods" actually were…

Jack
04-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Nonetheless, I think you have to give Cummins the chance as opposed to switching everything now, including the system and all the staff. If things don't work, then you bring in someone new, but considering the two positive results so far, I think it's worth giving the man a go.

And calling anyone who thinks differently from you "the minions" is hardly the way to make your point, Pat.

The conspiracy theory is pretty thick here.

It is a perfectly normal thing to name the assistant as interim manager when a head coach quits/is fired in the course of a season. It's not like they up and gave Cummins a 5-year contract and full control of the team, is it? They give him a chance to prove himself and probably will be quietly looking around in case he doesn't live up to the job.

This is the cheapest option but it's FAR FAR from the most uncommon. We are not getting screwed over by MLSE here, as much as some people love to scream about that at every opportunity.

MUFC_Niagara
04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Nonetheless, I think you have to give Cummins the chance as opposed to switching everything now, including the system and all the staff. If things don't work, then you bring in someone new, but considering the two positive results so far, I think it's worth giving the man a go.

And calling anyone who thinks differently from you "the minions" is hardly the way to make your point, Pat.

It is a perfectly normal thing to name the assistant as interim manager when a head coach quits/is fired in the course of a season. It's not like they up and gave Cummins a 5-year contract and full control of the team, is it? They give him a chance to prove himself and probably will be quietly looking around in case he doesn't live up to the job.

This is the cheapest option but it's FAR FAR from the most uncommon. We are not getting screwed over by MLSE here, as much as some people love to scream about that at every opportunity.

And once again the voice of reason prevails....thank god you are the president.

Steve
04-29-2009, 06:56 PM

But but but... MLSE is a corporation! They're full of suits! Isn't that the enemy? Isn't everything a corporation does meant to screw over the "real fans"(TM)? I mean, TFC would be the best thing ever if only MLSE didn't own the team, and the "suits" didn't buy tickets, and anyone who didn't sing and dance and stand and make flags was banned from the stadium. Now THAT would be a team. Damn MLSE and their "reality".

LucaGol
04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Bang on Kingpin! I said the same yesterday…as far as the league…"it is what it is"…a chance to get out have a pint and meet people with the same love of the game.

I'm guessing Carver was sold a "bill of goods" and has realized what the "goods" actually were…

Ya, poor Carver.

Back to the magical world of Luton and League One football where the referees never err. :rolleyes:

Imagine ... slumming it with TFC in a world class city. What a horrific experience this all must have been for the guy.

ensco
04-29-2009, 08:08 PM

The heavy dose of "grassy knoll" here is entirely Mo and Carrver's fault. They had a strange situation go on for days, and have retailed a story that at least 50% of the people on here think is incomplete, at a minimum.

Cummins was probably the right choice, in the circumstances. Agreed. I just don't want the MLSE suits, who have now openly acknowledged that they read the message boards, to feel that the fans can just always be "messaged" into the option that saves them money. So while I'm on this....

Where'd the Edu money go? Where is our DP?

Ossington Mental Youth
04-29-2009, 08:48 PM
But but but... MLSE is a corporation! They're full of suits! Isn't that the enemy? Isn't everything a corporation does meant to screw over the "real fans"(TM)? I mean, TFC would be the best thing ever if only MLSE didn't own the team, and the "suits" didn't buy tickets, and anyone who didn't sing and dance and stand and make flags was banned from the stadium. Now THAT would be a team. Damn MLSE and their "reality".

BWAHAHAHA
yes!
And we need unicorns and drum circles!