PDA

View Full Version : Corporation Seats!!!!!

tfc007
04-29-2009, 08:46 AM
:mad:I noticed quite a few empty seats at the games this year,yet we are sold out.I sit in 109 and a couple of games a go I had 3 suit type guys in front of me,the whole fucken game these fucken pricks were on their "Crackberrys" and chatting buisness,they werent even paying attention to the game.This was starting to piss me off.In The seat next to me a guy and his girlfriend,are sitting there, he asked if I was a season ticket holder and I said yes.He told me his company gave him his tickets and that they own quite a bit of tickets in this section and other sections of the stadium.I think he may be right,allways different folks in and around meat everygame.This last game 2 hockey fans were sitting next to me,I wanted punch one of these fuckers bad,these fuckers were so ignorant towards the game of soccer it wasnt funny.They were calling corner kicks free kicks,when chad barret went down at the end with crampping, these fuckers were screaming get up you diver. I know onething is that we have a shit load of supporters and real soccer fans on the waiting list for tickets and MLSE are giving tickets to corperations and denying real soccer fans the right.MLSE is going to turn BMO into the ACC, Mark my fucken words on That. I am allready starting to see signs of this. MAPLE LEAF SPORTS AND FUCKEN GREEEED!!!!!!! How about MLSE selling private boxes to corporations at discounted prices,so this way you can keep all the suits corralled like pigs in one area and keep the seats for real fans and supporters.Sorry guys this is just the way I feel.

elvis
04-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Not to defend these guys at all but a couple of points:

1. I have gone to a game or two over the past three years in my suit - just no time to change
2. I know more and more people who tweet and/or blog from the games and/or and/or message others at the game

Say what you will about the relative merits of these actions but they may not be doing business on their phones.

As far as people not understanding the game, it's frustrating when fans of the game can't get tickets but at the same time, perhaps these two chaps can learn a thing or two from you when you politely correct them. ;)

tfcmanu
04-29-2009, 09:01 AM
:mad:I noticed quite a few empty seats at the games this year,yet we are sold out.I sit in 109 and a couple of games a go I had 3 suit type guys in front of me,the whole fucken game these fucken pricks were on their "Crackberrys" and chatting buisness,they werent even paying attention to the game.This was starting to piss me off.In The seat next to me a guy and his girlfriend,are sitting there, he asked if I was a season ticket holder and I said yes.He told me his company gave him his tickets and that they own quite a bit of tickets in this section and other sections of the stadium.I think he may be right,allways different folks in and around meat everygame.This last game 2 hockey fans were sitting next to me,I wanted punch one of these fuckers bad,these fuckers were so ignorant towards the game of soccer it wasnt funny.They were calling corner kicks free kicks,when chad barret went down at the end with crampping, these fuckers were screaming get up you diver. I know onething is that we have a shit load of supporters and real soccer fans on the waiting list for tickets and MLSE are giving tickets to corperations and denying real soccer fans the right.MLSE is going to turn BMO into the ACC, Mark my fucken words on That. I am allready starting to see signs of this. MAPLE LEAF SPORTS AND FUCKEN GREEEED!!!!!!! How about MLSE selling private boxes to corporations at discounted prices,so this way you can keep all the suits corralled like pigs in one area and keep the seats for real fans and supporters.Sorry guys this is just the way I feel.

AGREED! ;)

TFC Bhoy
04-29-2009, 09:02 AM
I agree completely! When you look at the leafs games which have been sold out since like the 40s or something, a TON of the platnum and gold sections are empty because they are all corporate owned. I went to a couple leafs games in the purples this year adn talked to a couple of guys who had been season seat holders since the 80s at the gardens, and brought up a good point that up top is pretty well where the real fans sit while the majority (not all, but just the majority) of the lower bowl are corporations. I would hate if this happened to BMO and TFC, but with MLSE in charge of things like that, they don't care as long as they get the money.

C.Ronaldo
04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
^ at this point its not MLSE

it will be scalpers and fans selling off their tickets to high bidding corporations

Afra
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
They also need to grow the fan base - and any growing brings pains. Their soccer knowledge may not be so good but if we take the time to politely educate them, it will make a more enjoyable game day experience for all down the road. Who knows, they may even become full fledged fans!

Your point is well taken, though. MLSE does not have the best track record for anything but getting as much coin as they can. Ultimately, I blame the Teachers' Pension Fund - they don't care about anything but cash and it will trickle down through MLSE in most cases.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I hate the corporates, but you have to admit that it's not nearly as bad at BMO as it is at the ACC for Leaf games. The east stand though is the worst, there are always quite a few empty seats because that seems to be where the corporations have their tickets.

And I agree with TFC Bhoy. The real fans hang in the upper bowl and in the standing sections anyway. The only Leafs game at the ACC I've ever been to I was in the standing section, and it's where you get the best atmosphere anyhow.

Pachuco
04-29-2009, 09:14 AM
^ at this point its not MLSE

it will be scalpers and fans selling off their tickets to high bidding corporations

That doesn't really make any sense. I don't know a single corporation that would go off and buy tickets from a scalper or from a fan. Members of the corporation may, but that's not the problem. The problem is corporations buying season tickets from MLSE. I'm not saying it's MLSE's fault, because how do they control it? they can't really.

tfc007
04-29-2009, 09:19 AM

1. I have gone to a game or two over the past three years in my suit - just no time to change
2. I know more and more people who tweet and/or blog from the games and/or and/or message others at the game

Say what you will about the relative merits of these actions but they may not be doing business on their phones.

As far as people not understanding the game, it's frustrating when fans of the game can't get tickets but at the same time, perhaps these two chaps can learn a thing or two from you when you politely correct them. ;) I was referring to executive types not actual guys wearing suits,and for correcting fans on the game, How can I fucken correct a couple of hockey guys that were there more to trash the game than actually learn it.Buddy I sat next to them,If you heard some of the shit they were saying, you would be singing a different tune.

Kevvv
04-29-2009, 09:20 AM
So if corporations weren't interested in season's seats or boxes, would the 'real fans' be buying their $80 - $110 seats? Or would they sit empty and unpaid for? Is the team better of for selling out, or would be better with less money to spend on players and facilities?

And the constant tirades against MLSE are getting tiresome. They want to make money. They're in it for the profit. What's the alternative, find a wealthy benefactor who will pour money into the team with no payback (not even sure how that would work with the salary cap)? Do people really long for the days of Harold Ballard?

crozack
04-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Im in section 117 and it seems i see new faces around us all the time....not to mention not since the opening game of the very first season have the 4/5 seats next to mine ever been filled.

Kevvv
04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
If you heard some of the shit they were saying, you would be singing a different tune.

Maybe they've been reading the board too much.

Don Julio
04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
That doesn't really make any sense. I don't know a single corporation that would go off and buy tickets from a scalper or from a fan. Members of the corporation may, but that's not the problem. The problem is corporations buying season tickets from MLSE. I'm not saying it's MLSE's fault, because how do they control it? they can't really.

Most small and mid-size corporations don't have seasons tickets to sporting events. They buy tickets to individual games from ticket brokers when clients are in town that they need to entertain. Corporations buy TONNES of tickets of "scalpers".

mclaren
04-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I hate people who use cellphones during football matches or any sporting event for that matter. What's the point?

Pachuco
04-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Most small and mid-size corporations don't have seasons tickets to sporting events. They buy tickets to individual games from ticket brokers when clients are in town that they need to entertain. Corporations buy TONNES of tickets of "scalpers".

Completely taking what I'm saying out of context. This is a discussion about the corporate owned seats that are consistently empty or have executive suits attending the games. If they are owned by a scalper, then they aren't corporate seats are they? In which case, you will get fans every so often sitting there. The problem TFC007 brings up is the corporate owned seats that has a different executive show up for the game every game. Executives that don't give a shit about the game. Those people are buying their tickets from MLSE, and there's nothing MLSE can do to control that except maintain ticket prices at levels where fans can afford them. Once the prices start to go sky high, then the only ones that can afford those seats are those who buy them on behalf of a corporation and write them off as a business expense.

Boschmeister
04-29-2009, 09:45 AM
I am no fan of MLSE but where were all of these "diehard" supporters when the seats initially went up for sale? I know many people have some very valid excuses but there are also a lot of people who don't. I am sure MLSE went to corporations before they went to the public to sell blocks of seasons tickets because they probably didn't know the seasons would sell that well.

Whoop
04-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Look at the ticket trader and ticket exchange... People weren't able to get rid of tickets at a reduced cost!

I know I was one of them. I had two tickets in 222, willing to sell them for $30 each yet no takers.

If it's not in the south end no one wants them.

So don't cry to me about not being able to get tickets or who has tickets.

I sell my extra tickets first to RPBs, then anyone on the board, but if some "non-supporter" wants them when no one else does, that's who gets it.

elvis
04-29-2009, 09:52 AM
I was referring to executive types not actual guys wearing suits,and for correcting fans on the game, How can I fucken correct a couple of hockey guys that were there more to trash the game than actually learn it.Buddy I sat next to them,If you heard some of the shit they were saying, you would be singing a different tune.

Ok buddy. Can't see why anyone wouldn't think the same about you with that attitude.

marshall_law
04-29-2009, 09:53 AM
i don't see how selling seats to corporations denies "real fans" from their "right" to be at the matches.

mlse is in the business of making money and will sell tickets to the highest bidder - be they a private individual or public corporation. this is mlse's right. if you have such a problem with mlse's greed, then don't feed into it - don't renew your seasons and don't support the machine. you'll just have to watch matches on tv. if you don't want to do this, here's another option: ignore the corporate "non-fans" that you're talking about and focus on the game. simple.

Don Julio
04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Completely taking what I'm saying out of context. This is a discussion about the corporate owned seats that are consistently empty or have executive suits attending the games. If they are owned by a scalper, then they aren't corporate seats are they? In which case, you will get fans every so often sitting there. The problem TFC007 brings up is the corporate owned seats that has a different executive show up for the game every game. Executives that don't give a shit about the game. Those people are buying their tickets from MLSE, and there's nothing MLSE can do to control that except maintain ticket prices at levels where fans can afford them. Once the prices start to go sky high, then the only ones that can afford those seats are those who buy them on behalf of a corporation and write them off as a business expense.

I was responding directly to "I don't know a single corporation that would buy tickets from a scalper..." Hardly out of context. It really doesn't discount your overall argument, but you're wrong about that fact.

And it's also worth noting that while nobody enjoys the presence of dead-weight corporate types, they do add a lot to the coffers of the team. If every ticket in the stadium was $20 do you think we'd be entertaining ideas for getting a DP? (assuming we are anyway) Look at nearly any league in the world. The seats in the centre of the field are full of rich, conservative people sitting on their hands, or nobody at all.

Pachuco
04-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I was responding directly to "I don't know a single corporation that would buy tickets from a scalper..." Hardly out of context. It really doesn't discount your overall argument, but you're wrong about that fact.

You are taking this conversation out of context and you know it. Corporate owned seats are bought from MLSE. If members of a corporation buy one offs then those aren't corporate seats are they? Stop Trolling.

Oldtimer
04-29-2009, 10:02 AM
The corporations pay the bills. I don't mind that, as long as there are lots of affordable seats for real fans.

What we really need to be talking about is BMO Field expansion. Then the "real fans" can pony up like the rest of us did, and buy seasons.

ochos
04-29-2009, 10:04 AM
You guys do see the only solution right... this is a suggestion I've not seen on the boards, and frankly and perplexed as to why.

1) When I meet/hear/see an ignorant person saying ignorant things at a TFC game, I give it straight to them. Tell them to chant, tell them it's not a hockey game, tell them to go home and give their tickets to real supporters. Does this make me ignorant too? Of course, but I don't care because I'm there for the atmosphere.

And besides, you treat someone with adversity and they're bound to react, whether it be positively, or negatively. I know of a few people early on who came to the games and had no idea how to chant, support the team, and help get the rest of the crowd going. When they were hit with an ego check, they changed, and are now some of the most vocal and educated supporters.

2) We need to be more heavy handed with the supporters section. Come on people, this isn't ethnic cleansing or anything like it. Tell people not to come back; tell them they have to cheer; tell the scalpers to sell the supporters sections tickets to hardcores (I know I have). Let's start information campaigns at the stadium, and arrange instructive chants that encourage more people to get 'into the game'.

There are always a lot of great ideas on this site, but at the stadium so many people end up being timid. THIS IS OUR HOUSE people! Let's keep it that way.

-end rant

Darlofletch
04-29-2009, 10:05 AM
I am no fan of MLSE but where were all of these "diehard" supporters when the seats initially went up for sale? I know many people have some very valid excuses but there are also a lot of people who don't. I am sure MLSE went to corporations before they went to the public to sell blocks of seasons tickets because they probably didn't know the seasons would sell that well.

That's a fair comment. After seeing a few mls games on tv before TFC existed, I wasn't all that impressed so didn't bother getting tickets. After watching on tv and going to a few games in season 1, I was quite surprised that it was much better than i thought, mainly due to the atmosphere from the sg's so well done for that.

I got a partial pack for season 2 and by then end of that season me and the wife were sucked in enough to get season tickets this year, though $920 each in section 224 was the best/cheapest we could get, hopefully soon enough we'll be able to get $500 level ones.

Would i consider myself a diehard fan? after getting sucked in, now i would yes, but i'm certainly not going to complain about anyone who made the decision to get season tickets before i did, even if they are corporations.

Does it suck when there's people who really don't care in those seats? Sure it does, but to suggest that there were people at the time desperate to take those seats, or even people desperate to take the expensive seats now just isn't correct. i'm sure a massive amount of that 14,000 waiting list isn't waiting for the corporations to give up the $100+ per game seats. if the corporations don't take them, a lot of them will stay empty. May as well get the money and then have them be empty/used by execs that don't care.

Darlofletch
04-29-2009, 10:11 AM
..... tell the scalpers to sell the supporters sections tickets to hardcores (I know I have). .....

Right, cos scalpers are going to ask people how hardcore they are and how much they're going to sing before they take their money.

I agree with your sentiments to get more people singing in the south end, and you've got to look for any solutions you can get, but this particular one is just a complete non-starter.

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I hate people who use cellphones during football matches or any sporting event for that matter. What's the point?

i used mine in the last match to call a friend to see if there was any space beside him to stand.

i was all on my lonesome for most of the game. it was ok though, i actually went into the 200s for the first time and saw dichio's goal from there, great vantage point.

but i know what you mean. some people are on their phone for the entire match.

Don Julio
04-29-2009, 10:21 AM
You are taking this conversation out of context and you know it. Corporate owned seats are bought from MLSE. If members of a corporation buy one offs then those aren't corporate seats are they? Stop Trolling.

The last two companies I have worked for buy 2-4 seats for games (hockey and basketball usually) from scalpers on a regular basis so that salespeople and project managers can take clients out and entertain them. This is directly in contradiction to one of the assumptions you've stated. I've even stated that the assumption isn't central to your overall point.

Do you know what trolling is? Do you know what context is?

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
the two seats to my left are corperate seats and you get new people every game, last game two blondes were sitting there (114) and there only interest was talking
for the entire 90 mintes :{

ochos
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Darlo - sounds funny I know, but what I'm actually trying to get at is US being more powerful than THEM, the scalpers.

I know there have been debates on here in the past regarding arguments/fights with scalpers, and i would never condone confronting a scalper in an intimidating way.. but seriously, I am not Ghandi, and we should not be afraid.

But we are, even though most people wont admit it. The scalpers walk around the stadium committing illegal acts, and they get away with it because they don't feel scared, or under the gun. We need to turn the tables. We need to let them know who's in charge.

If everyone on this board made a point of making a politically charged comment to the scalpers every game, things would be a little different.

Take for instance, 2000 people next game said to each scalper as they walked by..

"Hey you! Make sure those supporters section tickets go to real supporters.. we don't want your soccer moms." Would they care? Hell no! But the comment is registered in their brains, and they go about business.

Next game, 3000 people casually remark as they walk by...

"Hey did you hear MLSE is worried about losing money from upset fans because the supporters section, who are the engine that drives the team, has been rather quite this year because of scalpers. They're investigating where these scalped tickets are coming from to stamp out the problem." And so again the idea is implanted deep in their conscious, and slowly they start to react.

Next game - 5000 people walk by and say "Sorry bro, I'm not buying your tickets. They're on a hotlist, and some people are being denied entry." You all get the idea.

Unlikely to happen, doesn't even really make sense, I know. But I'm at work trying to get things done.

POINT IS - DON'T BE A PUSSY. WE CONTROL THE SCALPERS, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

If these punks are wolves, then we become the sheep.

MartinUtd
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM

This suit?

http://www.elvis-tkc.com/forums/uploads/av-2.jpg

elvis
04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
This suit?

http://www.elvis-tkc.com/forums/uploads/av-2.jpg

I wish.

billygrieveuk
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
i must say its becoming quite annoying listening to people talking about who the "real fans" are, who goes to games, and what they know or contribute to the "vibe" of the game.

WE LIVE IN CANADA, not everybody who lives here is as passionate and dedicated to the game of "soccer" as some of us here. And i'm ok with that. As long as the people around me in 111 keep going to matches, keep chanting, and keep paying attention to whats actually going on on the field. Great.

GabrielHurl
04-29-2009, 10:54 AM

I generally watch what's happening on the pitch - not what people around me are doing

rocker
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
i must say its becoming quite annoying listening to people talking about who the "real fans" are, who goes to games, and what they know or contribute to the "vibe" of the game.

right on. It's like people want to impose their vision on the rest... creating this stereotype of a true fan and if you don't meet the stereotype, you're scum. i thought we embraced diversity in this city.. but apparently in the stands, diversity is wrong -- you must be a certain kind. you must stand, you must chant, blah blah blah.

flatpicker
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
This sort of stuff does bug me a bit...
But it would bug me a lot more if it were like the ACC.

Hopefully it doesn't get much worse.

flatpicker
04-29-2009, 11:01 AM
right on. It's like people want to impose their vision on the rest... creating this stereotype of a true fan and if you don't meet the stereotype, you're scum. i thought we embraced diversity in this city.. but apparently in the stands, diversity is wrong -- you must be a certain kind. you must stand, you must chant, blah blah blah.

alright... hang on... let's not get into the "true fan" debate!

I skimmed through this thread but I don't think "true fans" was the intended subject.
I think it was more about people who go to games but don't give a shit about TFC.
Or people that buy up tickets and never use them.

As for people who attend... if they are fans, then I won't judge their level of support.

MartinUtd
04-29-2009, 11:07 AM
I've got to admit I had a really bad first impression of SG's after being told on a few occasions in 2007 that I was a "casual fan" for the simple fact that my seats are in the east stand. There's a holier than thou bravado at BMO that's slow shrinking but still there, I've learned for the most part to ignore it (although I do take offense when the typical north american fan comes in and spews mclownesq bullshit, I just don't get angered by it)

dantdot
04-29-2009, 11:10 AM

BLOCK OF TEXT. Paragraphs and proper punctuation, look into them immediately.

BFin
04-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Who cares?
Worry about the other 15,000 non chanting people before the corporate sponsorts.

grimm
04-29-2009, 11:42 AM
What's a sponsort? :D

BFin
04-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Sort of people who sponsor...sponsorts.

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Who cares?
Worry about the other 15,000 non chanting people before the corporate sponsorts.

i can see where he's coming from and why he cares.

you've got the attitude of someone who doesn't have to deal with this shit. if i had seasons and the people surrounding me all had corporate tickets, that really takes away from the atmosphere. not because they're not chanting and singing, but because they know fuck all. even if you're in a section where no people chant, it can still be great to hear other fans who are interested and give give their educated commentary.

in chanting sections, you often get "i'm blind i'm deaf i want to be a ref" chants on proper calls, just because they want to be heard. while in a sitting section you can get people who might actually understand that the call is correct and the ref made a good decision.

with corporate tickets, you lose both the chanting and knowledge at the same time.

BFin
04-29-2009, 11:48 AM
i can see where he's coming from and why he cares.

you've got the attitude of someone who doesn't have to deal with this shit. if i had seasons and the people surrounding me all had corporate tickets, that really takes away from the atmosphere. not because they're not chanting and singing, but because they know fuck all. even if you're in a section where no people chant, it can still be great to hear other fans who are interested and give give their educated commentary.

in chanting sections, you often get "i'm blind i'm deaf i want to be a ref" chants on proper calls, just because they want to be heard. while in a sitting section you can get people who might actually understand that the call is correct and the ref made a good decision.
I see your point, but again it begs the question, is the atmosphere in the south end how everyone has to approach TFC games? If you are going in as a supporter and want to sit in supporters seats, then you should, however three guys sitting, and discussing business can not ruin an entire section. Some people enjoy just sitting and watching, and they can not be forced to chant. Corporate seats or not, we have yet to get past the fact that the majority of people don't take in games quite the same way a lot of us do. It's not their fault that you happen to be beside them.
I think the holier than thou image brought up earlier is still very prevalent unfortunately.

BFin
04-29-2009, 11:50 AM
with corporate tickets, you lose both the chanting and knowledge at the same time.
I have used our corporate tickets before.
Was I any less of a fan then? did I lose my mind then?
What about our GolTV rep here who lived in England his whole life and grew up watching soccer? When he uses them does he become soccer-challenged?
And even if it is there first game, and they do not have a lot of knowledge, who are WE to discourage them from wanting to?

Get In There
04-29-2009, 11:51 AM
I see both sides

We have corporate seats (121 and right behind the south end net - sets of 4) and our customers (contractors/distributors) LOVE them - one of our reps always go along - so they have been exposed enough to give them some pointers on the game or footy culture.

We get guys that come down from Kingston just to go to a game - it's perfect for us - some want the 'roudy' seats (behind the net) and some will take the premium west stand (I'm sure they talk some shop) - been a real win for us and for TFC.

My personal seats are in 106 - this year the pair behind me are used by some investment company.

They just shoot the shit (leafs / business) ALL GAME - drives me nuts - last game they up and left at half time. The constant chatter makes me insane - hard to filter out when they are right behind you.

B

Roogsy
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM

WE LIVE IN CANADA, not everybody who lives here is as passionate and dedicated to the game of "soccer" as some of us here. And i'm ok with that. As long as the people around me in 111 keep going to matches, keep chanting, and keep paying attention to whats actually going on on the field. Great.

Thank you.

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 11:54 AM
I see your point, but again it begs the question, is the atmosphere in the south end how everyone has to approach TFC games? If you are going in as a supporter and want to sit in supporters seats, then you should, however three guys sitting, and discussing business can not ruin an entire section. Some people enjoy just sitting and watching, and they can not be forced to chant. Corporate seats or not, we have yet to get past the fact that the majority of people don't take in games quite the same way a lot of us do. It's not their fault that you happen to be beside them.
I think the holier than thou image brought up earlier is still very prevalent unfortunately.

it's called "my supporters dick is bigger than yours" and i'm sick of it. it can't ruin an entire section, i agree. but it can be annoying to those who bough seasons seats and every game someone new is there and knows nothing and doesn't care to know. so i see where he's coming from. i don't think the point of the first post was to say "i'm a better supporter" but rather, give the seats to people who actually care rather than corporations.

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I have used our corporate tickets before.
Was I any less of a fan then? did I lose my mind then?
What about our GolTV rep here who lived in England his whole life and grew up watching soccer? When he uses them does he become soccer-challenged?
And even if it is there first game, and they do not have a lot of knowledge, who are WE to discourage them from wanting to?

i didn't say that. i'm sure some corporate seats go to fans who know, but the first post says different in this particular case.

but there would still be a potentially big difference in the person sitting in a corporate seat if it wasn't corporate to begin with.

i'm kindof looking at the big picture. i'm sure there are corporate seats for vocal and understanding supporters, but i wouldn't hesitate to say that most aren't.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Asking that people sing along??!! Oh, the humanity!

Honestly, I'd rather people sit and sing than stand there and look apathetic, like I see so many in 111 and 110 doing.

jwfm1985
04-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I really don’t like where this thread is going with the whole “real fan” things, but a couple things:

1) I really want to sit some people on this board down and give them a quick lesson on economics 101. The club is not run off sunshine and smiles, it is a business and corporations are willing to pay the exorbitant amounts for boxes, front row seats and tables. This is actually not a bad thing (in moderation) as it keeps our club financially stable and ideally more profit will = better product on the field (not there yet, but hopefully soon – DP, grass, etc.)

2) I too have gone to a game in a suit because I didn’t have time to change. Does that make me less of a supporter?

3) I personally know people who have gone to a game in the corporate seats not knowing much at all about football or TFC. They have left being completely sold and becoming diehard football and TFC supporters.

4) This constant hate for MLSE is really tiresome. So far they have impressed me and I give them an overall passing grade. Until they disappoint me, I refuse to compare them to the leafs. Give it a couple years then we’ll see

Pookie
04-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Lots of irony around here.

1) MLSE built a business case to introduce this team to Toronto. That business case included sales to corporations. Without them, there would be no team to chant for.

2) "we want real supporters.... not your soccer moms" is a statement reflective of a holier than thou attitude that some of you need to lose. The same "snooty" attitude you attribute to "suits" you display when you talk down to fans that don't fit your view of what a supporter is.

Ultimately, you want more people attending that are passionate about the game. Women, kids, seniors, who cares as long as they support the team.

I think some of you forget that this team isn't yet 3 years old.

3) Complaints about corporations snapping up season seats yet home come the "Reds" and "field tables" were the last remaining seats offered to the Gold list? I get that they were more expensive but the opportunity was there for "real fans" to get seats. Many said no and jumped on the partial pack... and bitched about having Marlies' tickets. I guess the desire wasn't as strong to land seasons as one would think.

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I really don’t like where this thread is going with the whole “real fan” things, but a couple things:

1) I really want to sit some people on this board down and give them a quick lesson on economics 101. The club is not run off sunshine and smiles, it is a business and corporations are willing to pay the exorbitant amounts for boxes, front row seats and tables. This is actually not a bad thing (in moderation) as it keeps our club financially stable and ideally more profit will = better product on the field (not there yet, but hopefully soon – DP, grass, etc.)

2) I too have gone to a game in a suit because I didn’t have time to change. Does that make me less of a supporter?

3) I personally know people who have gone to a game in the corporate seats not knowing much at all about football or TFC. They have left being completely sold and becoming diehard football and TFC supporters.

4) This constant hate for MLSE is really tiresome. So far they have impressed me and I give them an overall passing grade. Until they disappoint me, I refuse to compare them to the leafs. Give it a couple years then we’ll see

i agree with pretty much everything you have to say here. especially number 2. i went to sunday's match without any TFC attire on and some of the looks i was getting were ridiculous, but i was still paying more attention than the couple next to me decked out from head to toe in offical merchandise.

but i do sympathize with the original post if this is an issue he's had to deal with for a long time. seems like a little rant to me. i'd suggest changing sections if this is such a problem. i personally have not noticed a big issue with corporate seats at BMO yet. but there is always the possibility. The Emirates is a good example of how corporate allocations can hinder the unity of regular supporters. seems that it's recently gotten better, was just somewhat of a hurdle.

i would like to see the eradication of those tables along the east side of the pitch. expand the stadium and put in a restaurant if you have to.

edit: i want to say something about what i said about the people next to me. i don't think i'm a better supporter than them because i was paying more attention and being more vocal. they've clearly invested time and money into the team, probably more than i have (money wise), and were just as happy to be there as i was. so the whole supporter vs supporter thing needs to go. i probably came off as saying i'm a better supporter when i really don't care. i would like more people to be into the game as i and others might be, but it really doesn't matter. as long as i have at least one person to back me when i don't join in a "referee's a wanker" chant after a proper call. at least then i won't feel crazy.

Cowboy905
04-29-2009, 12:39 PM
who gives a shit if corporate executives come to the games.

this is a chance to build a fanbase. This isn't really a problem.

I bet Columbus or KC or Dallas would KILL to get Executives to their games.

Im in 115 and wear my suit to the game all the time if i don't have a chance to get changed.

but seriously, these companies bought season tickets because the boxes are sold out or they couldn't afford a box. you can't keep a company from buying 2 or 4 tickets or whatever to take clients to.

and if they want to be on their blackberry who cares, it's not stopping you from watching the game. I'm on my phone all the time looking for Jays score when i'm in my seats, i don't give a shit what others think if i'm on my phone. i'm watching and enjoying the footie match, while checking in to see if my beloved jays are winning.

to me it just seems that you are complaining about petty things. Look at it this way, things could be MUCH MUCH worse.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Lots of irony around here.

1) MLSE built a business case to introduce this team to Toronto. That business case included sales to corporations. Without them, there would be no team to chant for.

2) "we want real supporters.... not your soccer moms" is a statement reflective of a holier than thou attitude that some of you need to lose. The same "snooty" attitude you attribute to "suits" you display when you talk down to fans that don't fit your view of what a supporter is.

Ultimately, you want more people attending that are passionate about the game. Women, kids, seniors, who cares as long as they support the team.

I think some of you forget that this team isn't yet 3 years old.

3) Complaints about corporations snapping up season seats yet home come the "Reds" and "field tables" were the last remaining seats offered to the Gold list? I get that they were more expensive but the opportunity was there for "real fans" to get seats. Many said no and jumped on the partial pack... and bitched about having Marlies' tickets. I guess the desire wasn't as strong to land seasons as one would think.
The complaint isn't about children and people who don't necessarily jump around for 90 minutes, it's about "suits" who go to games and don't pay attention to what happens on the field. You see what happens on TV when the Leafs score, the majority of people around the ice level just sit there looking bored, and the more enthusiastic ones take a time-out from their Blackberrys to clap politely for a moment.

Also, your complaint about people on the gold list passing up season's seats doesn't hold a lot of water. Many people on this board are holding out for seats in the south end, and don't have the money to splash on seats in an area they can't even stand up in. Season's tickets = expensive.

A supporter is someone who goes to games and is passionate about the team. The 'snobbiest' I personally get is insisting that people sing, which I don't think is too un-reasonable.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
to me it just seems that you are complaining about petty things. Look at it this way, things could be MUCH MUCH worse.
Yeah, it could be the ACC. :rolleyes: I don't consider these petty things. You go to a footie match, you watch the game at the very least. This reminds me of lower bowl season's ticket holders complaining that the ACC would be too cold if they lowered the temperature in the building to improve the notoriously soft ice. Cold? At a hockey arena??!! How dare they!

Another thing, I have yet to meet a fan of a European club who doesn't sing along to songs when they go to matches. Maybe I'm really lucky and only meet the real hardcore fans, I don't know.

Pookie
04-29-2009, 12:47 PM
^ I get what you are saying and the comparison with the Leafs is valid.

If you aren't talking down to women who attend simply for the fact that they are women or cringe if you see someone under 12 in a seat, then my comments probably weren't intended for you.

The point about the Gold List is valid, IMO. The complaint is that corporations are buying seats. What's the alternative proposed? Get supporters in those seats.

Well, plenty had an opportunity and passed on it. Yes, because of cost but what's the solution? The cost is the cost. "Supporters" weren't willing to pay for them in significant numbers to change the atmosphere. It's not like they were offered exclusively to corporations. There really is nothing to complain about. Chance offered, chance not taken. Move on.

"Holding out to get in the South Stand" doesn't cut it as an argument as buying STs would get you a place in the "relocation" event at the beginning of the season. The value of that wasn't enough to justify the cost for some people. So be it.

brad
04-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Another thing, I have yet to meet a fan of a European club who doesn't sing along to songs when they go to matches. Maybe I'm really lucky and only meet the real hardcore fans, I don't know.

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that singing at sports matches is a new concept in Canada as opposed to a very old tradition for most European clubs.

Suds
04-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Or maybe it has to do with the fact that singing at sports matches is a new concept in Canada as opposed to a very old tradition for most European clubs.

Yeah, more a North American thing .... watch hockey, basketball, and some other sports played outside N.A. and the atmosphere can be completely different than what you see here.

tml
04-29-2009, 04:13 PM
So if corporations weren't interested in season's seats or boxes, would the 'real fans' be buying their $80 - $110 seats? Or would they sit empty and unpaid for? Is the team better of for selling out, or would be better with less money to spend on players and facilities?

And the constant tirades against MLSE are getting tiresome. They want to make money. They're in it for the profit. What's the alternative, find a wealthy benefactor who will pour money into the team with no payback (not even sure how that would work with the salary cap)? Do people really long for the days of Harold Ballard?

Good Point! I don't think many fans would pay over 50-60$ to see MLS Soccer. You'd be stupid to do so. Premier League & Bundesliga games are priced similar to what TFC charges. I even think paying 40$ to sit in the supporters section is a bit steep!!

It's just like Leafs games. I'm a Die hard & I still can't see myself dishing out more then 100$ to see the Buds. For the cheapest lower bowl is like 320$ for the pair. Tell me how many people you know make that kind of coin in one day. Yet to spend it on a sporting event!!

mlsintoronto
04-29-2009, 06:27 PM

nope. never happened. our partners have tickets as part of their deals...but the scenario described didn't happen. Now if a Season ticket holder gives their ticket to a friend who happens to use the blackberry a lot and wears a suit.....maybe you should text guest services and see if security responds! :rolleyes:

Pookie
04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
nope. never happened. our partners have tickets as part of their deals...but the scenario described didn't happen. Now if a Season ticket holder gives their ticket to a friend who happens to use the blackberry a lot and wears a suit.....maybe you should text guest services and see if security responds!

Now there is something Alanis Morrisette can sing about... using a texting service to complain about people texting

Detroit_TFC
04-29-2009, 06:48 PM
I'd be happy if people would just stay in their seats for most of the half. My seats in 221 are on the aisle and I spend significant portions of the game with somebody's ass in my face on their way to and from the concessions or the bathrooms or whatever the fuck. Lots of group sales tickets tourists in 221 who probably only pay attention when there is a goal.

sully
04-29-2009, 07:08 PM
I'd be happy if people would just stay in their seats for most of the half. My seats in 221 are on the aisle and I spend significant portions of the game with somebody's ass in my face on their way to and from the concessions or the bathrooms or whatever the fuck. Lots of group sales tickets tourists in 221 who probably only pay attention when there is a goal.

yeah this is my gripe too.. but I think that the problem is partly to do with capacity issues under the stand (I mean the stand under section 111) where I sit. During the last game for the first time I missed the first 2 mins 'cos I was getting a beer and I was amazed to see long line-ups for food, beer, washrooms...I think there just isn't enough space there to get people in-out as efficiently as it should be.

But as I said, I think that's only partly to blame...there seems to be a culture as well that means you must get your hot-dog and what-ever during the game...I'm not even convinced these people are hungry..it's just something in the N. American culture that people are compelled to do...

elvis
04-29-2009, 07:12 PM
I just grabbed a hot dog in between reading paragraphs.

BRed
04-29-2009, 09:12 PM
yea yea...first they make a crappy little stadium to test the product and then when it works they will make isles and seats with room enough for 9 people to sit on one chair. Then people say this place is beautiful and state of the art but it has no atmoshphere..and the beat goes on da da dumb da dumb dumb..

Darlofletch
04-30-2009, 09:26 AM
....Another thing, I have yet to meet a fan of a European club who doesn't sing along to songs when they go to matches. Maybe I'm really lucky and only meet the real hardcore fans, I don't know.

You must be lucky, because fans who don't sing along certainly exist, probably in the majority, in Europe.

Arsenal's old ground used to get called the library, Roy Keane's whole prawn sandwich rant was about those type of people.

Most stadiums in Europe probably have a very simliar demographic to Bmo. About 10-20% "real supporters" who'll sing along with everything, about 10-20% who don't really care and are just there for the experience, and the majority of the crowd are there to watch the game and they'll sing along now and then depending on if it's a big match, if the team's winning, if the away fans are numerous/noisy etc.

What we've got at Bmo is a very authentic football crowd, which includes all types of fans.

The European crowd you've got in your head and are holding up as some kind of ideal we have to match just doesn't exist.

Commie Red
04-30-2009, 10:01 AM
I agree with the sentiments of the original poster.

If you are lucky enough to be in a supporters section you don't realise how dire it can be sometimes to be stuck in the middle of the stadium with the "suits" (Suits is used metaphorically here. I don't believe any poster is actually against someone wearing a suit). I have actually been hushed because some knob was on his phone (he appologised after he hung up).

The experience can be depressing. It's like watching your neighbours have an amazing party over the fence but you're not invited. It can easily turn people off coming to more games because "it's impossible to get the good tickets". MLSE is apparently capable of selling the Leafs no matter how canned and contrived an atmosphere is -- but I'm not so sure the same can be said of football (hell, they're shocked to discover they can't even do it with the Marlies).

Everyone who genuinely loves football in this city should be on-guard against MLSE turning BMO Field into another ACC. Yes, it is technically "theirs to destroy" if they so wish. But we don't have to let them do it without a fight. They need us as much as we need them -- at least for now. If nothing else, we should voice our displeasure as we see the culture of corporate rigor mortise take hold of the middle of the stadium.

The battle between supporters groups and the "prawn sandwich crowd" is not unique to Toronto. It is in fact quite universal. One of the important rolls many supporters groups have taken upon themselves is to defend their team not only against opponents from outside the team but parasites from within.
==============
Note to moderator. I posted something similar here yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. I'm not sure if it was deleted by you or it failed to appear due to a technical glitch. As no one replied to my email and, as far as I can tell, I'm not sating anything offensive or worth censoring -- I'll try again. In other words: I'm not trying to get myself banned here. If there is a problem with my post please explain.

Hitcho
04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
^ That's not a bad model although the %'s will vary from club to club of course. Some clubs (both bigger and smaller in size) will have significantly more sing and chant fans than others and some will have less, but overall I think Darlofletch's point is a good one. At least, it is for England, not sure about mainland Europe as I've only ever been to a couple of continental games in person and tv isn't a fair representation in my book, especially for "big" games like in the Champs League.

fetajr
04-30-2009, 12:55 PM
i haven't sat in my seats in section 220 over the last 2 seasons!...i'm always on the beer patio under the scoreboard. The people around my empty seats in 220 must also think they are corporate...hahaha..probably not, the seats are too shitty to be corporate.

The Upsetter
04-30-2009, 03:37 PM
MLSE are giving tickets to corperations and denying real soccer fans the right.MLSE is going to turn BMO into the ACC

OK, still is about as naive & ignorant a quote as I've heard. Real soccer fans had the exact same right as everyone else, including corporations, to purchase tickets.

I didn't have race to getting my TFC season tickets. They went on sale, I bought them. If "real" soccer fans didn't do the same, I'm not going to feel sorry for them. I miss out on concert tickets I want all the time because I don't move fast enough. It's not the band's fault, it's my own for not acting faster.

So, instead of complaining about MLSE for doing what they are suppose to do, set the price and sell at a first come first serve, complain about your "real" soccer fans that didn't buy season tickets for themselves.

And another thing..."real" soccer fans don't give a shit about TFC anyways, Spanish soccer is much better :p

Kevvv
04-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Good Point! I don't think many fans would pay over 50-60$ to see MLS Soccer.

Completely wrong. Many would, and do.

Premier League & Bundesliga games are priced similar to what TFC charges. I even think paying 40$ to sit in the supporters section is a bit steep!!

Premier League? Their prices are in Pound Sterling, you know.

Parkdale
04-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Pound Sterling

there's a terrible pun in there somewhere.

FluSH
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
I agree with the sentiments of the original poster.

If you are lucky enough to be in a supporters section you don't realise how dire it can be sometimes to be stuck in the middle of the stadium with the "suits" (Suits is used metaphorically here. I don't believe any poster is actually against someone wearing a suit). I have actually been hushed because some knob was on his phone (he appologised after he hung up).

The experience can be depressing. It's like watching your neighbours have an amazing party over the fence but you're not invited. It can easily turn people off coming to more games because "it's impossible to get the good tickets". MLSE is apparently capable of selling the Leafs no matter how canned and contrived an atmosphere is -- but I'm not so sure the same can be said of football (hell, they're shocked to discover they can't even do it with the Marlies).

Everyone who genuinely loves football in this city should be on-guard against MLSE turning BMO Field into another ACC. Yes, it is technically "theirs to destroy" if they so wish. But we don't have to let them do it without a fight. They need us as much as we need them -- at least for now. If nothing else, we should voice our displeasure as we see the culture of corporate rigor mortise take hold of the middle of the stadium.

The battle between supporters groups and the "prawn sandwich crowd" is not unique to Toronto. It is in fact quite universal. One of the important rolls many supporters groups have taken upon themselves is to defend their team not only against opponents from outside the team but parasites from within.
==============
Note to moderator. I posted something similar here yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. I'm not sure if it was deleted by you or it failed to appear due to a technical glitch. As no one replied to my email and, as far as I can tell, I'm not sating anything offensive or worth censoring -- I'll try again. In other words: I'm not trying to get myself banned here. If there is a problem with my post please explain.

I don't think you've said anything wrong... maybe the site 'timed-out'... I hate it when that happens a my post is lost!

Jack
04-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey Commie Red, I got your email today but I could find nothing wrong with your post.

We've been having some database issues, so maybe it was that.

OHARARULES
04-30-2009, 10:02 PM

I agree.. but

Does it matter that much. As long as there are fans going and fan groups stay together it should be ok. Hopefully new supporters will be bred of off coming to games and the stadium will need to grow allowing supporters section to grow.

I am sure MLSE knows that the secret to there sucess is the supporter groups that were formed before any games were played and the sucess of the supporter groups = sucess for the team..

Although I hate seeing suits at the games.. but its going to happen.

grizzle
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
The more people that buy tickets the better (whether it is corporations or fans). By having a huge waiting list it allows them to justify things like building a bigger stadium, etc. I am on the waiting list and would love to have season tickets, but unfortunately I have to wait my turn with the other 14,000 or so. You can't control who goes to the game, but you can ignore them. If they are actually doing something to interrupt your view or something, then talk to security, but if you are getting angry because they are using their blackberries, maybe you should stop looking at them playing with their blackberries and start looking at the field.