PDA

View Full Version : Everton is the MLS All-Star opponent

Nuvinho
04-29-2009, 07:46 AM
On MLSnet:

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090428&content_id=245820&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

sweetlemon69
04-29-2009, 08:00 AM
weak... when are we going to get a real team from a real league...

Boris
04-29-2009, 08:01 AM

dont turn this into a pissing contest

bhoybobby
04-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Very nice, a talented hard working team.

drewski
04-29-2009, 08:06 AM
#5 in the EPL, UEFA cup qualifiers and possible FA Cup champs, not too shabby.

at this rate, (#10>#5) it'll be MU at next years ASG :D

ensco
04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
A good team that plays tough hardnosed football, will play their hearts out and will mete out an injury or two to a couple of MLS star players....

but creates zero fan/TV interest.

Perfect.

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-29-2009, 08:09 AM

bring on slavia prague???

Pigfynn
04-29-2009, 08:13 AM

Real league? You're deluded my friend, had a look at the Champions League lately? This isn't an argument/pissing contest either Boris, it's just clear glaring fact.

CretanBull
04-29-2009, 08:18 AM
I'd pay to see Cahill, Arteta, Lescott, Jagielka, Fellaini...it will be Tim Howard's return to America and Everton are likely to showcase some of their young talent like Gosling.

Lucky Strike
04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I think this is an acceptable team: they’re a good side with lots of history. Sure, they don’t have the “wow” effect like Manchester United, Real Madrid, or either of the two Milan teams, but it’ll be good. I look forward to seeing MLS defend its 100% record in All-star games against international competition.

Did you know: Before the 2008 game against West Ham, no team had ever led (they did so for about 20 minutes I believe on two different stints) the All-Stars and no team before 2008 had scored more than once against MLS.

Carefree
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
but creates zero fan/TV interest.

I think that's an important point. The team doesn't have much of a following here in North America. This is probably a good thing for real football enthusiasts because I'm pretty sure we can expect a good game. But if MLS's goal is to create interest among non-football fans by bringing in well-known teams, I think they missed the mark.

scooter
04-29-2009, 08:25 AM
that is excellent news - imagine if they win the fa cup

Fort York Redcoat
04-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Fans of the game should like this better than West Ham. Popularity is nice but I'm not watching the All star game for the opponents after that great display last year by our league's best.

I still don't like the concept of midseason friendlies...

BuSaPuNk
04-29-2009, 08:28 AM
The only reason it will be fun is to see this:
http://img.skysports.com/08/11/218x298/MarouaneFellaini_1507230.jpg

CretanBull
04-29-2009, 08:30 AM
^ I think outside of the obvious elite teams, Everton is in the next catagory of clubs. They have a fair size following, and most (especially older) Liverpool fans follow them as a second team. Yoo're right, its not a team that's going to generate buzz among non-footy fans...but I think this is about rewarding North American fans and showcasing the MLS to Europe and it will accomplish that.

Technorgasm
04-29-2009, 08:36 AM
YAY!
More Scousers!

SCOUSERS EVERYWHERE!!!!!

We're not hosintg it.
Sideshow game for me, but will be great to see.

nascarguy
04-29-2009, 08:40 AM
they need to stop having the all-star game it's athere game for our players to get hurt. thing about UEFA cup qualifiers and possible FA Cup champs that got lucky united sould have won that game.

they sould got the england team or spain forget about the shity league team's

felipe
04-29-2009, 09:36 AM
^^^^Yeah!

Wait....what?

rudiker
04-29-2009, 09:38 AM
I wonder if they will be playing friendlies as well...

CretanBull
04-29-2009, 09:43 AM
I'd be happy if Everton turned out to be our friendly this season....

trane
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM
EVERTON FC. I wish it was here. I hope that Moyes playes our first team at least to begin the game. This ALL STAR GAME I AM WATCHING.

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
I'd be happy if Everton turned out to be our friendly this season....

i'd be very happy if that was the case. Everton are a great team with great players.

ACSertL
04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Didn't Barack Obama say that he's an Everton supporter?

CretanBull
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I'd expect Gosling to be a regular for Everton next season...considering the All-Star Game will take place as apart of their pre-season training, I think we'll see him plus a few others. Having said that, there's not way that they come over to appear in a feature match and don't play Cahill, Arteta (if healthy?) etc.

CretanBull
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Didn't Barack Obama say that he's an Everton supporter?

West Ham...his in-laws live in East London.

ACSertL
04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
West Ham...his in-laws live in East London.

Thanks, I don't know why I thought Everton.

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 10:03 AM
nah he did say everton or someone said it about him. either way, there was a rumour, because it's the People's Club.

ACSertL
04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
nah he did say everton or someone said it about him. either way, there was a rumour, because it's the People's Club.

So am I crazy or not? :lol:

trane
04-29-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd expect Gosling to be a regular for Everton next season...considering the All-Star Game will take place as apart of their pre-season training, I think we'll see him plus a few others. Having said that, there's not way that they come over to appear in a feature match and don't play Cahill, Arteta (if healthy?) etc.

That is the problem most of our top attakcing players, Yakubu, Arteta, Cahill, Saha (whats new) have been injured for long streches, and Moyes will want to see them play but will not risk them. Feliani is becoming a monster for us he has been injury free he may see alot of playing time, Jo if we buy him, Gosling I would expect to see alot of time, as Moyes pushes to increase his role in the squad.

MrHawk
04-29-2009, 10:11 AM
No major complaints if Everton was our friendly.

I wonder if Everton will use "The Rock" for their sponsor.

How many goals does Everton score?
Well....
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY GOALS.

Suds
04-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Everton is a big club with a ton of history. Great opponent for the all-star game.

Moyes has this team playing well right now ... but not well enough to beat Chelsea in the F.A. Cup final :D

Dozitwin
04-29-2009, 10:14 AM
they need to stop having the all-star game it's athere game for our players to get hurt. thing about UEFA cup qualifiers and possible FA Cup champs that got lucky united sould have won that game.

they sould got the england team or spain forget about the shity league team's

I swear he ain't using real words.....:noidea:

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 10:14 AM

yes you're crazy. but not for thinking Obama is an Everton supporter. i heard it too..

ACSertL
04-29-2009, 10:17 AM
yes you're crazy. but not for thinking Obama is an Everton supporter. i heard it too..

Cool, just checkin' :)

I think Everton is a pretty decent choice for opponent as well.

CretanBull
04-29-2009, 10:29 AM

Crazy ;)

There were rumours of him coming to the All-Star game in Toronto last season...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2290252/Up-the-Irons---Barack-Obama-is-West-Ham-fan.html

The key question hagning over Barack Obama's White House credentials has been answered - the Democrat has been revealed to be a West Ham United fan

As the 46-year-old's campaign to become America's first black president moves into overdrive, Obama has declared his fondness for the Claret and Blues quarter of east London.

According to reports, the US senator has been a fan of the Hammers ever since a trip to England five years ago and watches Premier League games whenever his busy schedule allows.

Obama's revelation could stir up tensions with Democrat rival Hillary Clinton further as the 60-year-old and her husband Bill are keen Manchester United followers.

Mr Obama has joined a host of world figures to nail their colours to the mast by revealing his passion for his adopted club.

Derko
04-29-2009, 10:35 AM

I hate to break it to you but the EPL is the best league in the world.
That is just my opinion.
Of course you are entitled to yours, no matter how incorrect in my mind it may be!! lol

:drinking:

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 10:41 AM
i get the feeling people will complain about the all-star opponents if it isn't one of the following.

Arsenal, Chelsea, ManUtd, Liverpool, Celtic, Rangers, Real Madrid, Barca, AC Milan, Inter, or Juventus.

and i'm only saying this because these are probably the most supported teams in North America.

Even then i can see some complaints.

trane
04-29-2009, 10:44 AM
^ That is pretty well it, it is not realy about the quality of a Club, but about the "brand". Everton is probably at the same level if not better then Celtic and Rangers, but people would be like wow Celtic. Do not get me wrong I think either would also be a good choice.

[ I am not realy a fan of all star games, or in season friedlies, but if you have to have one then- these are good teams- as I though West Ham was last year]

nascarguy
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
I swear he ain't using real words.....:noidea:
yes i do not to make poeple go crazy...lol and start drinking more:drinking::drinking::drinking:

CretanBull
04-29-2009, 10:53 AM
^ That is pretty well it, it is not realy about the quality of a Club, but about the "brand". Everton is probably at the same level if not better then Celtic and Rangers, but people would be like wow Celtic. Do not get me wrong I think either would also be a good choice.

[ I am not realy a fan of all star games, or in season friedlies, but if you have to have one then- these are good teams- as I though West Ham was last year]

I agree...Everton > Celtic or Rangers

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 10:57 AM
I agree...Everton > Celtic or Rangers

I agree too.... but this hurts me more as a Dundee United supporter.... they'll never be over here for a friendly.

CretanBull
04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
^ Not likely :( or Leeds for that matter :(

Blazer
04-29-2009, 11:01 AM
If MLS were smart, they’d allow Toronto to host the next few All-star games. Best atmosphere in MLS bodes well for international credibility. Something MLS lacks …

FluSH
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm happy with the choice... God forbid if the team would have been a South American or Mexican team... the boards would have errupted with negativity!!!

Lucky Strike
04-29-2009, 11:05 AM
I hate to break it to you but the EPL is the best league in the world.
That is just my opinion.
Of course you are entitled to yours, no matter how incorrect in my mind it may be!! lol

:drinking:

Yup. We're getting the team that will likely place 5th or 6th in the best league in the world. And they've done it with significant injuries, that's pretty good.

H Bomb
04-29-2009, 11:07 AM
and another good thing is that Everton are a small squad meaning that most of their top players would have to play.

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm happy with the choice... God forbid if the team would have been a South American or Mexican team... the boards would have errupted with negativity!!!

i was half going to put Boca on my list of most followed in NA. but only because i can see them drawing a fair crowd of Bandwagon 3rd Gen Argentinian-Torontonians who wish they could remember watching Maradona.

but really they just happened to see the Real Football Factories on youtube somewhere.....

trane
04-29-2009, 11:08 AM
^ I would expect some of their top players to play some significant minutes, that is for sure.

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
^ I would expect some of their top players to play some significant minutes, that is for sure.

it would be an honour to have tim cahill beat the fuck out of a corner flag in north america.

trane
04-29-2009, 11:11 AM
^ yeah, Cahill has some serious passion for the game, and can score on anyone. He is a great attacking mid.

CretanBull
04-29-2009, 11:27 AM

I have no problem with Mexican or South American teams, but the top talent from both regions ends up in Europe...the best Argentinians (for example) aren't playing for Boca Jrs...

TFC Bhoy
04-29-2009, 11:36 AM
While I don't really like Everton, mainly because I support Liverpool FC, I have to admit I think they would be a good team to see and have some talented players. And as others have said it would be saying something if they won the FA cup to have to cup winners over.

Raging Reggie
04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
^ agreed!

Maple Leaf Red
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM

The self-titled People's Club.

It'll be nice to see the Kirby Toffees lose to MLS.

Lucky Strike
04-29-2009, 12:01 PM
This is something I do quite often, I check out the forums of European teams on what they have to say about TFC. Here's what some say about the all-star game.

http://www.toffeetalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16907
http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/everton-forum/14768-mls-all-star-game-efc.html

trane
04-29-2009, 12:11 PM
The self-titled People's Club.

It'll be nice to see the Kirby Toffees lose to MLS.

I was wondering what happened to you, I shuold have known this would have brought you out.;)

ExiledRed
04-29-2009, 01:33 PM
^ I think outside of the obvious elite teams, Everton is in the next catagory of clubs. They have a fair size following, and most (especially older) Liverpool fans follow them as a second team. Yoo're right, its not a team that's going to generate buzz among non-footy fans...but I think this is about rewarding North American fans and showcasing the MLS to Europe and it will accomplish that.

You have got to be kidding me.

There is definitely affection amidst the rivalry, but second team? most?way off.

Maple Leaf Red
04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
I was wondering what happened to you, I shuold have known this would have brought you out.;)

Work internet makes navigating this board a ridiculous pain in the ass.Seriously though since it's not in Toronto I could care less who they play. I would have love to have Everton in Toronto if only to give them the gears :)

ExiledRed
04-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Work internet makes navigating this board a ridiculous pain in the ass.Seriously though since it's not in Toronto I could care less who they play. I would have love to have Everton in Toronto if only to give them the gears :)

Absolutely, Everton V TFC ?

Where's my old socks for the corners :D

trane
04-29-2009, 03:43 PM
^ I would were Everton blue for that one game just because of the Liverpool/anti Everton contigent in the RPB.:D

CretanBull
04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
You have got to be kidding me.

There is definitely affection amidst the rivalry, but second team? most?way off.

Among older fans I definetly think that's true....I work with a guy and his wife who are both from Liverpool and support Liverpool FC, but are also fans of Everton. At the bar that I hang out at there's a group of scousers that come in and the're all mixed Liverpool & Everton supporters and they all cheer for each other's team. It's a rivalry, but it's one of the friendlies rivalries in the world - no segragated seating at Goodison Park or Anfield on derby days etc.

ilikemusic
04-29-2009, 07:43 PM
West Ham doesnt seem like such a weak opponent anymore.

Either way, ASG is useless. Bin it! :lol:

James17930
04-29-2009, 09:46 PM
I think I'm the only one who actually really likes the All Star game format, and I think Everton is a great choice.

This one will be fun to watch.

Dub Narcotic
04-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I think I'm the only one who actually really likes the All Star game format, and I think Everton is a great choice.

No, I think it's a lot of fun too, just the usual suspects on here like to complain about everything.

arsenal
04-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Brilliant timing for the game by MLS. Preliminary round for CONCACAF Champions league kicks off with the first leg the 28-30th. According to wikipedia, DC United, NYRB and TFC (if they qualify) will all be part of the prelim round and would have a midweek game (28th-30th). So no players from any of those teams in the AS Game or is MLS going to try to strongarm teams into sending players for the game?

Pachuco
04-29-2009, 10:29 PM

Definately not alone. I'll be watching this game even if a single TFC player isn't on the team.

Shakes McQueen
04-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Last year's ASG was actually a fun game to watch. The crowd started off being pretty quiet and uninspired, due to the lack of TFC players, but were into the game, and solidly behind the All-Stars, by the end of it.

Everton will be even better. Hopefully some of their injured stars will be good to play by then.

I consider the MLS ASG a good chance to "network" with other teams in other leagues, and a chance for the best of our league to show their quality on a farther reaching stage. I don't care if it isn't Man U, or Real Madrid - only people who go for the star-power, and not a good game, should care about that shit.

- Scott

Sonny Cheeba
04-29-2009, 11:19 PM
^ i think that's the fist time i've seen you say "shit"

FluSH
04-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Any possibility we can scout their bench? or are their salaries off the charts as well like most clubs in the EPL?

Cashcleaner
04-29-2009, 11:54 PM
I got no problems with Everton playing the ASG. Good club playing in the EPL and currently in 6th place. Lots of history and has had a bit more of the public's eye since the days Rooney was playing there.

CretanBull
04-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Any possibility we can scout their bench? or are their salaries off the charts as well like most clubs in the EPL?

Off the charts...one Everton player = our total salary cap :D

trane
04-30-2009, 09:33 AM
^ Yeah, the may not spend the money of the top four, but I have not done the math but I am confident that the Everton team salary equals or is more then the MLS total. [ Maybe without bekham]

C.Ronaldo
04-30-2009, 09:48 AM
boo

boring

Fort York Redcoat
04-30-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't care if it isn't Man U, or Real Madrid - only people who go for the star-power, and not a good game, should care about that shit.

- Scott

boo

boring

Ask and Ye shall receive.;)

CretanBull
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM
^ hahahahaha!!!

Barth Bagge
04-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Celtic > Everton > Rangers

Thanks Greg, I knew you would see it my way. :D

CretanBull
04-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Leeds> Celtic > Everton > Rangers

Thanks Greg, I knew you would see it my way. :D

Nice, you're supporting Leeds now too? ;)

onemanbarmyarmy
05-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Off the charts...one Everton player = our total salary cap :D

That being said: All Everton<1 Ronaldo or even Rooney.

Their whole salary is +-34million.

CretanBull
05-01-2009, 08:58 AM
That being said: All Everton<1 Ronaldo or even Rooney.

Their whole salary is +-34million.

Neither Ronaldo or Rooney make 34 million...combined they probably make half of that.

onemanbarmyarmy
05-01-2009, 11:13 PM
oh sorry then all everton costs less than Manu's starting mids and strikers. That sound more like it. Still not a bad price for future FA cup champions.

Calvin
05-03-2009, 01:56 PM
bring on slavia prague???

salvia?

trueblue
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Everton fan from England and I have to say we are gonna give you a serious challenge for that 100% record of yours. Should be a good game and you should definitely not underestimate the quality of our team.
Beaten or drawn with all the big boys this season, battling for 5th and in a cup final... Can't be that bad.

Kevvv
05-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey, just make sure Moyes doesn't play the U-14's. Will the game be seen over there, or will you use a webcast?

Lucky Strike
05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Everotn fan from England and I have to say we are gonna give you a serious challenge for that 100% record of yours. Should be a good game and you should definitely not underestimate the quality of our team.
Beatne or drawn with all the big boys this season, battling for 5th and in a cup final... Can't be that bad.

Don't worry about that, no one will be making that mistake. It's pretty telling though when the 5th/6th placed team from the best league in the world feels WE shouldn't underestimate them. I always thought it ought to be the other way around. That 100% record is legendary.

trueblue
05-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey, just make sure Moyes doesn't play the U-14's. Will the game be seen over there, or will you use a webcast?

You better hope we don't play our youth team they are as good as our seniors this season and a lot quicker.. Besides it doesn't matter who we put out if Cahill's there.. one free kick and we'll show you the difference between your best and true world class.. We have a few players that would fit in anyone's team but of the ones that are still fit, he's the main man.

As for watching it it'll be streamed off a PC although they do occasionally show pre-season friendlies (loose term) lol.

trueblue
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Don't worry about that, no one will be making that mistake. It's pretty telling though when the 5th/6th placed team from the best league in the world feels WE shouldn't underestimate them. I always thought it ought to be the other way around. That 100% record is legendary.

I'm sure the All stars team won't underestimate us and no-one over here thinks your team will, its just the fans on this forum seem to think we are a poor team, just to let you down easy before you get your hopes up too much and then it all goes 'to coin one of your terms'.. FUBAR.

We are good and we are coming... be prepared.. or something equally sinister and tension building, make your own up.

Lucky Strike
05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm sure the All stars team won't underestimate us and no-one over here thinks your team will, its just the fans on this forum seem to think we are a poor team, just to let you down easy before you get your hopes up too much and then it all goes 'to coin one of your terms'.. FUBAR.

We are good and we are coming... be prepared.. or something equally sinister and tension building, make your own up.

1st bold: Really? I hadn't noticed, I personally think they are an excellent team. What you're reading is probably the supporters making a distinction between a good team like Everton and one of the masterclass teams of the world like Barcelona or Manchester United and are disappointed we can't face one of those. I don't think they intend any offence or mean to belittle your team, if that's what you're seeing.

2nd bold: I thought FUBAR was a pretty universal term, though come to think of it, I don't hear it that often.

Oh well, good luck in July!

trueblue
05-07-2009, 03:32 PM
1st bold: Really? I hadn't noticed, I personally think they are an excellent team. What you're reading is probably the supporters making a distinction between a good team like Everton and one of the masterclass teams of the world like Barcelona or Manchester United and are disappointed we can't face one of those. I don't think they intend any offence or mean to belittle your team, if that's what you're seeing.

2nd bold: I thought FUBAR was a pretty universal term, though come to think of it, I don't hear it that often.

Oh well, good luck in July!

Could be right on the FUBAR only ever heard it used in American films just made an assumption.
Tell you what though some of the masterclass teams mentioned are well behind us.. Rangers and Celtic spring to mind but yeah we are no Barca or Man U.. these guys have less attraction than you may think though cos if they did play you it would be their reserves and a load of kids you never heard of. Fancy playing against Nani, Rafael, Anderson, etc from Man U? At least with Everton we should play our full team which leave us no excuses if we have to go home with our tails between our legs.

Cheers all and have a good season

Lucky Strike
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Could be right on the FUBAR only ever heard it used in American films just made an assumption.
Tell you what though some of the masterclass teams mentioned are well behind us.. Rangers and Celtic spring to mind but yeah we are no Barca or Man U.. these guys have less attraction than you may think though cos if they did play you it would be their reserves and a load of kids you never heard of. Fancy playing against Nani, Rafael, Anderson, etc from Man U? At least with Everton we should play our full team which leave us no excuses if we have to go home with our tails between our legs.

Cheers all and have a good season

Yes, that's true but if I remember correctly, it was because they are by far the dominant teams in their leagues so I think they were mentioned because of their relative "prestige", if that makes any sense. But we've beaten Celtic already so we have to do something different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Everton is coming because I like Moyes and his ability to put together a very good team with smart purchases. To me, that's much more commendable than simply buying the best players.