PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back the MLS USA v MLS World All Star Game

Calvin
04-29-2009, 01:46 AM
http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/history/allstar.jsp

Ok, last time it was done MLS US ran MLS World. I think it might be a whole new game this time.

MLS World:

Fwd:
Eduardo Lillingston
Omar Cummings
Guillermo Barros Schelotto
Alejandro Moreno
Jaime Moreno
Juan Pablo Angel
Freddie Ljungberg
Fredy Montero
Steve Zakuani

Mid:
Dwayne De Rosario
Amado Guevara
Carl Robinson
Cuauhtemoc Blanco
Marco Pappa
Paulo Nagamura
Bojan Stepanovic
Pablo Mastroeni
Emmanuel Ekpo
Christian Gomez
Pablo Ricchetti
Dave van den Bergh
Arnaud, Davy
Lopez, Claudio
Shalrie Joseph
Juan Pietravallo
Javier Morales
Darren Huckerby

Def:
Adrian Serioux
Claudio Suarez
Dejan Jakovic
Jhon Hurtado

Keepers:

Stefan Frei
Pat Onstad

MLS USA:

Fwd:
Atiba Harris
Conor Casey
Kenny Cooper
Brian Ching
Donovan Landon
Nate Jaqua

Mid:
Justin Mapp
Brian McBride
Chukwudi Chijindu
Sacha Kljestan
Ben Olsen
Chris Pontius
Lewis, Eddie
Edson Buddle
Shalrie Joseph
Kyle Beckerman
Brad Evans

Def:
Jonathan Bornstein
Jed Zayner
Robbie Rogers
Frankie Hejduk
Greg Janicki
Wade Barrett
Jewsbury, Jack
Chris Albright
Kevin Goldthwaite
Nat Borchers

Keepers:
Zach Thornton
Matt Reis
Joe Cannon
Kasey Keller

Sorry for the inconsistent formatting. Looks like there is lots of talented international mids and forwards, but MLS Defenders are still disproportionately the standard big white American college player.

I would love to see this game: Someone who knows more than me about the MLS should make starting 11's.

kodiakTFC
04-29-2009, 03:28 AM
No. I really like the idea of bringing in a MAJOR caliber team to play the best our team has. It exposes the fans to 1. MLS 2. The foreign game, and shows that MLS isn't as bad as people presume. I think, with all honesty, MLS has the coolest all-star game because of what it is doing. I don't bother with the NHL, MLB, NBA, and NFL all star games, but i don't miss the MLS one.

BTW - RUMOR IS MLS PLAYS EVERTON AT THE ALL-STAR GAME.

Dunkers
04-29-2009, 03:39 AM
i agree, i like the MLS All Star format the way it is, totally gets exposure for the MLS

Wolfe
04-29-2009, 05:03 AM
Everton confirmed

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090428&content_id=245820&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

You forgot gues like Brennan, Marshall, Conde, Padula, Olave and Velez from the world team as defensive options, just to name a few

sidvan
04-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Will TFC play Everton in a friendly due to the "alliance" between the Ontario Soccer Association and Everton? Just asking.

Jack
04-29-2009, 06:29 AM
Claudio Suarez is retired.

jabbronies
04-29-2009, 07:01 AM
I don't like the current format. I think they should bring back the old format. Show off and recognize your own talent. Not an EPL team. I mean, what kind of pride can a league all star team have against a mid level EPL team??

What that tells me is that it takes all of the leagues best players to compete with a regular team from the EPL.

If you are that hard up to watch an EPL team, have them play against an existing team.

Jack
04-29-2009, 07:06 AM
But the exposure of the league is not a bad thing. There are merits to both ideas. Honestly, fuck All-Star games. At least when it's against a team from another league, the players would hopefully put in some effort for the pride of their league.

zeelaw
04-29-2009, 07:07 AM
How about just getting rid of the stupid game haha.

Damien
04-29-2009, 07:16 AM
They could do the old NHL all-star format: North America vs The World...

Lucky Strike
04-29-2009, 08:29 AM
I happen to like the current format, in my mind, it gives something extra to play for than just for shits and giggles. MLS has a 100% record in these games, and I bet if you ask any player, they’d rather not be associated with the first MLS All-Star team to draw or lose. An East v. West or USA v. World type format, there isn’t as much motivating, at least in my view (that’s how I’d feel if I were a player in MLS).

Fort York Redcoat
04-29-2009, 08:30 AM
How about just getting rid of the stupid game haha.

+1 - haha.

jabbronies
04-29-2009, 08:38 AM
MLS has a 100% record in these games, and I bet if you ask any player, they’d rather not be associated with the first MLS All-Star team to draw or lose.

An East v. West or USA v. World type format, there isn’t as much motivating, at least in my view (that’s how I’d feel if I were a player in MLS).

Ya the MLS has a 100% record in these games, they have no choice, otherwise the league as a whole looks like a bunch of loosers.

I mean how good are you when you have to take a team that has the best of the best the league has to offer in every position and play that against a team that is good in some positions, not so good in others? Another question is did those teams the MLS beat play thier best of the best?

Pachuco
04-29-2009, 09:04 AM
I don't like the current format. I think they should bring back the old format. Show off and recognize your own talent. Not an EPL team. I mean, what kind of pride can a league all star team have against a mid level EPL team??

What that tells me is that it takes all of the leagues best players to compete with a regular team from the EPL.

If you are that hard up to watch an EPL team, have them play against an existing team.

You really can't make that comparison. At the end of the day, EPL teams ARE All Star Teams. They have no limit in the budget they can spend. Therefore, add up the salaries of the players on both teams and you'll see that the EPL team should probably be winning those games, but they are not ;)

ExiledRed
04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
all star games are poo.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-29-2009, 09:11 AM
http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/history/allstar.jsp

Ok, last time it was done MLS US ran MLS World. I think it might be a whole new game this time.
Mh... I much prefer we face an overseas club team. It's more interesting, and it creates exposure for the league.

elvis
04-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Who watches All-Star games anyway?

rocker
04-29-2009, 09:36 AM

it was the best quality game at BMO last year :)
great game and exciting to watch.

Pachuco
04-29-2009, 09:37 AM

I have, and will, for as long as TFC plays in this league.

C.Ronaldo
04-29-2009, 09:55 AM
MLS USA and its fans would HATE to lose.

you could also have US national team vs MLS

i like the current format to, but i could give a flying rats arse about everton

trane
04-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Clearly I would like to see Everton. But all star games are shite. Good help me is Everton wins, all of the suden there will be claim that teh MLS is at the upper EPL level, just bellow the top four.

elvis
04-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Seriously? Wow. I stand corrected then boys. Personally, I'd rather stick a pen in my eye but to each his own, right?

rocker
04-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Seriously? Wow. I stand corrected then boys. Personally, I'd rather stick a pen in my eye but to each his own, right?

so you don't like watching high quality, exciting football?
cuz the allstar game at BMO last year was just that.

and you don't enjoying watching friendlies ever?

pubboy
04-29-2009, 10:25 AM
I happen to like the current format, in my mind, it gives something extra to play for than just for shits and giggles. MLS has a 100% record in these games, and I bet if you ask any player, they’d rather not be associated with the first MLS All-Star team to draw or lose. An East v. West or USA v. World type format, there isn’t as much motivating, at least in my view (that’s how I’d feel if I were a player in MLS).

Honestly, i dont think the'd give a shit the day after the game. I think it's a complete waste of time, as the opposition are never going to play to their full potential given that it's often their pre-season warm up.

Blizzard
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
They could do the old NHL all-star format: North America vs The World...

How often did the NHL do that? Once maybe?

The AHL has Canada versus US World.

either way, I don't like it.

The NHL was best when it was the champions versus the all-stars. Those guys played to win!

Lucky Strike
04-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Ya the MLS has a 100% record in these games, they have no choice, otherwise the league as a whole looks like a bunch of loosers.

I mean how good are you when you have to take a team that has the best of the best the league has to offer in every position and play that against a team that is good in some positions, not so good in others? Another question is did those teams the MLS beat play thier best of the best?

They don't have to, they could easily form an All-Star B-team which I'm sure could compete as well. Don't get me wrong, I see what you're saying, but I still happen to think it's worth watching because it's competitive and the players wouldn't want to be responsible for breaking our 100% record, though as you suggest , the record is not entirely surprising. But it's precisely because MLS would be embarrassed if they drew or lost that players will be wanting the win.

On the visiting team side, there's no evidence they're not taking it seriously as they have fielded first choice sides (or at least very close to it - the rosters are listed on Wikipedia). And particularly if the team is English, they won't want to lose to an MLS team, especially when a common opinion is that everything associated with MLS is a joke. Finally, I feel the format is unique which brings an added touch.

But even if you don't agree with what I've said, wouldn't you agree that MLS players have more to play for if they face international competition rather than each other? It helps them elevate their game and see different styles (though the opponents have largely been from the British isles (West Ham, Fulham, Celtic, Chelsea and now Everton).

trane
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
David Moyes, is interested in braking into the top four champion's league spots in the EPL, while he wants his team to be competitive, as I want them to be. Does it realy matter, to Everton if they win a game agaisnt MLS all-stars? Fuck no. What matters is that Moyes has a chance to look at everyone, that they get used to one another, and they work out the offseaoson kinks. We , Everton, can not afford to have our Top Strikers ( Yakubu, saha) injured again, same goes for our play making and attacking mids ect. ect, So please I will take Everton over the MLS All Star team any day of the year, if it is in meangfull competition, no CB has ever seen anybody like Yakubu, for exaple, in this league, they have a hard time with Dichio. Lescot and Jagielka play for Cappello, do you think they could not handle ladycakes, a back up CB in the Bundesliga can and likely did. Cahill, Arteta, Feliani, ect, ect. I am not going to list the whole team are many notches above the MLS allstars.

T_Mizz
04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Davy Arnaud is American btw born in Nederland TEXAS, USA

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Everton.... thats a f'in joke!

vs TFC not bad ..id like to see that game!

vs MLS ALLSTAR's??????

trane
04-29-2009, 04:56 PM
^ Everton's starting eleven is vastly more tallented then the MLS all stars.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-29-2009, 05:00 PM
^ Everton's starting eleven is vastly more tallented then the MLS all stars.

Too bad we wont get to see thAT starting 11!:D

james
04-29-2009, 05:21 PM
MLS all-stars vs another foreign big club is much more interresting then MLS USA vs MLS world. I watch enough MLS games and dont get me wrong, i do support MLS, but it really isnt the most interresting football to watch. Having a good Euro team come over and the best of MLS is alot more entertainning, the quality is better having the Top 11 of MLS rather then picking more like the Top 22 of MLS on the field and it makes the match to have some sort of meanning to it bragging rights that MLS can beat Euro clubs. If they changed the format to just MLS players the match seems more meanningless and to be honest i dont think i would be interrested in watching it.

james
04-29-2009, 05:31 PM
How often did the NHL do that? Once maybe?

The AHL has Canada versus US World.

either way, I don't like it.

The NHL was best when it was the champions versus the all-stars. Those guys played to win!

ya that would be a good idea to. Anything but East vs West is better. Easy vs West is so meanningless, its stupid.

james
04-29-2009, 05:35 PM
You really can't make that comparison. At the end of the day, EPL teams ARE All Star Teams. They have no limit in the budget they can spend. Therefore, add up the salaries of the players on both teams and you'll see that the EPL team should probably be winning those games, but they are not ;)

thats the best way to put it. Very true!

Calvin
04-30-2009, 02:22 AM
Its impressive that we beat these teams. An all-star team that has never played as a unit vs a seasoned club who practices together day in and out.

The reason the champions vs. all starts ended in the NHL, was because it was not even close. The Stanley Cup champion, Detroit Red Wings beat the all stars so badly they abandoned the concept. This just goes to show how a team that plays together has a large advantage over the more skilled all star teams. This is why it blows my mind when our all stars beat EPL teams.