PDA

View Full Version : Soccer officials investigating referee, Fire star

DOMIN8R
04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Could not come at a worse time for MLS..............:p

Soccer officials investigating referee, Fire star

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:56 PM
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

A top American soccer referee and one of Major League Soccer's biggest stars are being investigated by the United States Soccer Federation and the league for their conduct during the Crew's 2-2 tie with the Chicago Fire on Saturday.

Multiple witnesses reported seeing Fire star Cuauhtmoc Blanco broach the entrance to the referees' locker room following the game with......

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2009/04/28/0428crews.html?sid=101

ensco
04-28-2009, 03:38 PM
I strongly support whatever position will result in Padula remaining suspended.

Oldtimer
04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Gives support to Carver's contention about MLS refs...

Darlofletch
04-28-2009, 03:45 PM

and then if Blanco can get suspended for the 16th, that'd be nice.

Roogsy
04-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Wow...even the best refs in MLS are scum. What are we left with?

Beach_Red
04-28-2009, 03:53 PM

Has anyone ever disputed that contention? Everyone agrees the refs aren't the best in the world.

Darlofletch
04-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Has anyone ever disputed that contention? Everyone agrees the refs aren't the best in the world.

I think everyone agrees they're generally incompetent, has there been allegations/evidence of corruption before?

DangerRed
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm not rolling out my Jump-To-Conclusions mat just yet, but this sure sounds bad. What an embarrasment. I guess the ref can forget about his World Cup officiating hopes, or at least put them on hold for the time being.

sully
04-28-2009, 04:10 PM
can't say I'm surprised at all..

and it'll be interesting (and ironic) to see if MLS overturns the one game suspension of Padula so he can play against Toronto after all that's happened over the past few days here..

nimamalek
04-28-2009, 04:13 PM
"Marrufo's Mexican father was a former FIFA referee. Blanco is an icon in Mexico, where he starred for the national team and in the country's professional league"

...is that a good thing?

nimamalek
04-28-2009, 04:14 PM

I dont know about that, he might score some goals for us again

jloome
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM

But I think the law's clause of positivus helpus competus suggests that Blanco should be suspended for an equally lengthy period.

Carter
04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm not rolling out my Jump-To-Conclusions mat just yet, but this sure sounds bad. What an embarrasment. I guess the ref can forget about his World Cup officiating hopes, or at least put them on hold for the time being.

But why you roll it out whenever Carver was involved.

Chevy
04-28-2009, 04:27 PM
".....Marrufo is considered one of the best after being named the 2008 MLS referee of the year. He was one of four referees hired full-time by the federation in 2007 in an effort to increase the quality of officiating in the U.S. and is a candidate to referee in the 2010 World Cup....."

Uhhh..not anymore he's not.

Huginho
04-28-2009, 04:32 PM
I guess every player who swaps there jersey with an opposing player after the final whistle should be invistigated then. nothing will come of this.

DangerRed
04-28-2009, 04:46 PM
But why you roll it out whenever Carver was involved.

Huh? I couldn't care less about Carver. He's history. I care about the team and its future. I have TFC patches on my scarves and shirts, not Carver's face.

flatpicker
04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I'll wait until more is revealed before forming an opinion.
At the moment it all seems pretty inconclusive.

rocker
04-28-2009, 05:00 PM
I guess every player who swaps there jersey with an opposing player after the final whistle should be invistigated then. nothing will come of this.

maruffo isn't a player.. he's a ref. i've never seen refs get shirts from players after a game!

Nuvinho
04-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Its like having Ronaldo give Howard Webb his jersey after the game on Saturday.....hahaha!!!

sully
04-28-2009, 05:55 PM
I just watched the highlights from the Columbus/Chicago game. It really surprised me that when Chicago got their first goal in the 85th minute the referee actually ran to the keeper to get the ball off him to (presumably) get the game started again fast. I've never seen a referee do that before and it seems really inappropriate to me.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-28-2009, 06:00 PM

Maybe Carvers should have given the Refs signed TFc jerseys!! Another black eye foir MLS officials

Huginho
04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
maruffo isn't a player.. he's a ref. i've never seen refs get shirts from players after a game!

I'm aware he's not a player. and you also didn't see Blanco give the ref the jersey this time either but this sort of stuff (autographs, photos, shirts etc.) happens all the time.

DOMIN8R
04-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm aware he's not a player. and you also didn't see Blanco give the ref the jersey this time either but this sort of stuff (autographs, photos, shirts etc.) happens all the time.

Not with refs it doesn't.

Huginho
04-28-2009, 06:31 PM

lol, fine it dosen't :rolleyes:

bene89
04-28-2009, 06:50 PM
This is a shame because Marrufo was actually a decent ref.

sulfur
04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Not with refs it doesn't.lol, fine it dosen't :rolleyes:
It isn't supposed to. As a referee, you're not allowed to receive any gifts from teams, players, or anyone else involved in the match at hand.

Period.

Some refs do. When those refs are caught, they tend to have their accreditation removed pretty quickly.

jloome
04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
This is a shame because Marrufo was actually a decent ref.

LOL, he's generally regarded as one of the worst refs in the league and has been for several seasons.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-28-2009, 09:28 PM
I just watched the highlights from the Columbus/Chicago game. It really surprised me that when Chicago got their first goal in the 85th minute the referee actually ran to the keeper to get the ball off him to (presumably) get the game started again fast. I've never seen a referee do that before and it seems really inappropriate to me.

And not only does the ref run after the ball, but once he gets the ball he hustles it to BLANCO! WTF!??

Also the red card was against BLANCO!? This ref is a complete waste of space if he single handedly changed the game in the Fire's favour!!

ensco
04-28-2009, 10:54 PM
I do think Padula earned the red card. Padula came straight at him with his leg up at a 90 degree angle, studs exposed.

As for the rest of it....it seems incredible. Best to wait and see.

scooter
04-29-2009, 08:18 AM
this may be a coincidense but he will be hung out to dry anyways---the powers that be have no choice
just goes to show the ends the yellow PAINTERS will go to win or whine while diving

S_D
04-29-2009, 08:27 AM
hopefully 1 down 3 more crap refs to go.

TicTacTabarnack
04-29-2009, 08:49 AM

Black eye on the refs ... However, isn't it common practice for refs in the NHL to get game played sticks after some games?

I remember a story of a ref that recently retired talking about his dad cutting up all the game used sticks he had in the garage that he received over the years for the garden ... Imagine Gretzky's stick holding up a tomato plant?

Is this sort of the same?

DOMIN8R
04-29-2009, 08:58 AM
^^^^No. Strict rules are in place to ensure that Officials do not receive anything from players - ever. What is being implied by the critics is that because of their shared heritage - there was an (imlicit or explicit) understanding. Blanco acknowledged the refs "good gestures" by giving him his shirt.

rocker
04-29-2009, 10:50 AM
LOL, he's generally regarded as one of the worst refs in the league and has been for several seasons.

no, he's not generally regarded as one of the worst. he won the USSF ref of the year award in 2008... He was also selected to be one of 4 full time USSF refs. so he's generally regarded as one of the best.

Now, the pool of refs in MLS sucks, so being the "best" doesn't say much.
He still makes the dumb calls that every ref makes, but out of a bad bunch, he's one of the better ones. The guy I like the best is Kevin Stott.

Lucky Strike
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
For whatever reason the gift was accepted, it will look bad. It's also possible Blanco tossed him the jersey and simply have the referee no chance to return it (it still looks bad though). Marrufo never stuck out as either patricularly good or bad to me.

Geiger, Vaughn and Weyland have been terrible this year; Salazar and Ward have been good so far.

Inklink
04-29-2009, 07:52 PM
So the referee gave a weak red card in Blanco's favour in return for a jersey? Did I get that right?

TOBOR !
05-01-2009, 09:29 AM
The problem lies wherein the ref was seen chatting with Blanco prior to kickoff, and then seemingly received a gift after the game - it's all optics.

What Marrufo should have done is publicly announced that Blanco had offered him his shirt, but he then respectfully refused to accept it on the grounds that it would compromise his integrity.
Since he didn't so this, his integrity has been called into question, and based on that alone he cannot be eligible to referee large scale FIFA sanctioned matches. Ever.

FIFA refs must be beyond reproach.

Sure, it's 'just a shirt', and it's 'just MLS' (probably what they were thinking), but it's the optics that are important here.

Garber/MLS may well just slap his wrist (not sure if anything is up to him or whether the USSF has sole jurisdiction here), but so far as an international career is concerned this man has no chance.

It would've been cheaper for this guy to buy a signed Blanco shirt on Ebay.

Dozitwin
05-01-2009, 04:11 PM
"Marrufo's Mexican father was a former FIFA referee. Blanco is an icon in Mexico, where he starred for the national team and in the country's professional league"

...is that a good thing?

I think this goes more to motive....helping out a national hero

Dozitwin
05-01-2009, 04:19 PM

How do you figure. The players are opponents, biased against each other during the game but equals with respest to their involvement in the match (generally speaking).

The refs hold a position "above" the players and are judging the game. They are supposed to be unbiased and not favour either side.

Accepting a gift gives the impression of bias toward one team....