PDA

View Full Version : Garber sticks foot in mouth

Oldtimer
04-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Garber spoke to the sports editors of the Associated Press Thursday in New York and noted the empty seats at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field, the new home for the Mets, since the baseball season began. "It's incomprehensible that you watch a game, and there will be front-row seats empty," Garber said.

Yes, the Yanks are sensitive to opening an opulent facility in tough economic times and falling far short of filling it. Still, team president Randy Levine's riposte was personal as well as pointed. "Don Garber discussing Yankee attendance must be a joke," Levine said to AP. "We draw more people in a year than his entire league does in a year. If he ever gets Major League Soccer into the same time zone as the Yankees, we might take him seriously."

And then: "Hey Don, worry about Beckham, not the Yankees. Even he wants out of your league."
Levine did have his figures correct. MLS attendances last year totaled 3.46 million. The Yankees drew 4.3 million in the last season at the old Yankee Stadium. Both entities will struggle to match those numbers this year, especially with Beckham - a powerful draw at the gate regardless of his play - missing nearly two-thirds of the league games. At least the Don didn't buckle under to Milan and got his $10 mil.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-random27-2009apr27,0,2562643.story

flatpicker
04-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Why would Garber say such a thing???

You can't go pointing fingers at another team/leagues attendance figures when you are running MLS!!!

Just silly...

sulfur
04-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Too bad the entire quote is taken out of context.

He was discussing how the harsh economic times have hit all sports' attendance figures, and used the NYY and NYM as examples, especially for two teams that are notorious for having consistent sellouts. Right now, even they have empty seats in their stadiums.

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-28-2009, 09:39 AM
dont want to be taken out of context? dont open your yap.

the yankees are bigger (more popular) than all other NYC sports teams combined. what on EARTH was he thinking??

his league isnt that bad, but garber: 1) your mls wont ever be as big as baseball in america, 2) your hair isnt growing back. stop with the insecurity.

drewski
04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

have to say Garber has impressed me with this though. Didn't think anybody could put a foot in their mouth when their head is shoved firmly up their own ass

Kevvv
04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Fairly meaningless comparison, really. Yankee stadium holds over 50,000 and is situated in a city with 8 million people, and a metropolitan area of 18 million. Baseball has been 'America's pasttime' for over 100 years. About as meaningful as counting how maybe people watch baseball in England.

Point is, (1) the economy will affect attendance at MLS as it has MLB, (2) having empty seats in the most visible part of the stadium is bad optics, and (3) Yankee management over-priced the seats, considering the current market.

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-28-2009, 09:54 AM
was at yankee stadium last week. the fans - at least in the upper bowl - dont like that its a more posh stadium and are pissed that they can now get sushi.

but youre right, kevv, miscalculation for sure. but everywhere will get hit, doesnt garber know this? perhaps he wants to start slagging the cowboys, redskins, man utd, real???

Carts
04-28-2009, 09:55 AM
To stick up for Garber a bit, I wonder where his quote came from / what was said just before... Being taken out of context happens everyday, all day and sucks...

If he was being asked leading questions (which is what reporters / editors etc do to try and get this quotes) than is sucks he's getting slammed...

If someone asked him "...how can your league survive, you have empty seats at games..." and you fire back with "...so do the NY Yankees..." that's not too smart - maybe he should have said "...look at the Atlanta Thrashers..." LOL

But, I agree, he shouldn't be comparing anything in regards to attendance with MLB in the United States - NHL hockey down there - sure...

Carts...

ExiledRed
04-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Aren't there like 351 games in the yankee's season?

sulfur
04-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Well, I can see his point in comparing to the MLB. Since he wasn't comparing the MLS to that, simply stating that the MLB, the bastion of sports in the US for 100+ years, is also suffering hits.

And if something that's so solidly based can suffer hits, it is no surprise that the MLS is suffering one too.

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Aren't there like 351 games in the yankee's season?

hahaha, 162, but it seems like 300+ :)

say what you will, they're the 3rd highest revenue generator of any sports franchise, globally (real 1, mancs 2)

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-28-2009, 10:04 AM
maybe he should have said "...look at the Atlanta Thrashers..." LOL

good point

CanuckPete
04-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, I can see his point in comparing to the MLB. Since he wasn't comparing the MLS to that, simply stating that the MLB, the bastion of sports in the US for 100+ years, is also suffering hits.

And if something that's so solidly based can suffer hits, it is no surprise that the MLS is suffering one too.

This is exactly the point he was making.

It is baffling that people can't understand this.

Fort York Redcoat
04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Garber will be chewed out regardless what he says. It's funny how critical of our own league we are and a thread over we're ragging on someone cause they're doing the same.

dupont
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
The only reason that the Yankees head office is so sensitive about this quote (that they took way out of context anyways) is because they fucked over their loyal fanbase and lots of people are pissed about that. They pulled a Toronto Maple Leafs when they ditched their old historic stadium and decided to price every real fan out in the move to the new one.
They know damn well those empty seats at Yankee stadium are their own fucking fault.
The economy may be bad right now but that isn't why Yankee stadium has empty seats. It's because charging $2500 to a seat to a baseball game is a joke.

Steve
04-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I can't believe how quick this thread is to jump on Garber in situations like this... Here is the ESPN story about it:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=640402&cc=5901

Told of Levine's comments, Garber explained his remark.
"When I mentioned the New York Yankees yesterday, my comments were part of a larger assertion that all businesses -- even the most successful sports entities -- are experiencing some impact from the economic downturn," Garber said through a league spokesman.
"The Yankees are one of the world's strongest sports brands and the context of my comments about a few empty seats at Yankee Stadium was to illustrate the economic challenges we are all facing," he said.

So, as some people on this thread have said, Garber was actually using the yankees as an example of an incredibly successful franchise, that is obviously also suffering from the downturn. He was trying to talk about how the downturn was affecting all sports, and what you can (or can't) do about it. Frankly, in this exchange I can only applaud Garber for behaving like the rational adult, and not making a fool of himself with childish insults like Levine did.

Kevvv
04-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, after seeing what happened at Yankee stadium, so much for my idea of $750 seats next to the the coach's technical areas with bottle service and topless (female) ushers.

Oldtimer
04-28-2009, 01:12 PM
I can't believe how quick this thread is to jump on Garber in situations like this... Here is the ESPN story about it:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=640402&cc=5901

So, as some people on this thread have said, Garber was actually using the yankees as an example of an incredibly successful franchise, that is obviously also suffering from the downturn. He was trying to talk about how the downturn was affecting all sports, and what you can (or can't) do about it. Frankly, in this exchange I can only applaud Garber for behaving like the rational adult, and not making a fool of himself with childish insults like Levine did.

The fact that Garber had to clarify his statements does show that he put his foot in his mouth. Maybe he didn't intend to slag the Yankees, but it came across that way.

sulfur
04-28-2009, 01:36 PM
The fact that Garber had to clarify his statements does show that he put his foot in his mouth. Maybe he didn't intend to slag the Yankees, but it came across that way.
I saw the original interview.

I got what he was saying right off.

This whole kerfuffle started when ESPN took a quote completely out of context and asked Levine about it to get a quote from him.

They got a beauty. We're all reading the fallout. We're talking about it. What else did they want? It's the Bobbie Mac school of journalism. That's it.

jwfm1985
04-28-2009, 01:57 PM

You clearly didnt see the whole interview. Whe said it, it was very much in context and not many would say he put his foot in his mouth. He made a very valid point about this economic mess affecting EVERYONE, even the Yankees.

Oldtimer
04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
You clearly didnt see the whole interview. Whe said it, it was very much in context and not many would say he put his foot in his mouth. He made a very valid point about this economic mess affecting EVERYONE, even the Yankees.

Correct. Notch up another victim of gonzo journalism.

Pachuco
04-28-2009, 02:10 PM
What Garber said is no different then the Yankees themsleves have said. The economic downturn is affecting everyone. Don't see the big deal.

Detroit_TFC
04-28-2009, 04:06 PM
What Garber said is no different then the Yankees themsleves have said. The economic downturn is affecting everyone. Don't see the big deal.

True, but the big swinging dick at the Yankees didn't like Garber bringing it up.

I subscribe to Sports Business Journal and Garber is in there a lot. He built up a lot of contacts during his time at NFL and he's in demand to speak on panels at conferences, etc. I actually think that's good to keep MLS's profile high too.

Roogsy
04-28-2009, 04:07 PM

Is Wheeler working for ESPN now? LOL!

jloome
04-28-2009, 04:13 PM

Uh, bad choice of terms. Gonzo journalism has nothing to do with mainstream media coverage; in fact, it refers to non-mainstream media blending facts with their own perceptions to potentially create a more accurate picture than the recount of facts alone.

gtaguy
04-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't think garber said anything wrong he was just pointing out that all leagues no matter the sport have taken a hit becuase of the financial downfall..

SoccMan
04-28-2009, 09:23 PM
It's this Levine dick from the Yankees that in the end came out looking like a fool not Garber.

Pachuco
04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
It's this Levine dick from the Yankees that in the end came out looking like a fool not Garber.

Exactly. Oh, and just today they announced that they slashed ticket prices significantly. The $2500 seats are now $1250, hahaha.

Yohan
04-28-2009, 09:40 PM
jesus christ. dont tell me that's just for one game

spark
04-29-2009, 01:11 PM
I saw the original interview.

I got what he was saying right off.

This whole kerfuffle started when ESPN took a quote completely out of context and asked Levine about it to get a quote from him.

They got a beauty. We're all reading the fallout. We're talking about it. What else did they want? It's the Bobbie Mac school of journalism. That's it.

MAYBE IT'S A CONSPIRACY TO MAKE FOOTBALL FAIL IN AMERICA!!! JACK KEMP IS STOKED RIGHT NOW!