PDA

View Full Version : McClown-Calls us the segregated crowd.

trane
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Complains that "soccer" was on the front page of the Star, and rants on how it makes no sense, that the star can not get other reads, so its going after the undersiables (my word/paraphrase).

Darlofletch
04-27-2009, 03:17 PM
the segregated crowd? really.

The hyphenated crowd I could believe, italian-canadian, british-canadian etc etc.

Mikey
04-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Poor old Bobo McClown....

JDG
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
The man has proven over and over again that he is a compete and utter ass, with a strong bias against the sport, so would anyone be suprised by this?
Fuck him.

Yohan
04-27-2009, 03:21 PM
someone go tell him to fist himself

he sees his little world collapsing and he just cant handle it

poor muffin

Jack
LOL

He's doing exactly what he's paid to do. Piss people off and get reactions.

Pigfynn
Complains that "soccer" was on the front page of the Star, and rants on how it makes no sense, that the star can not get other reads, so its going after the undersiables (my word/paraphrase).

He should just get used to it...it will continue to happen.

Jeffro
04-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Who cares what that fool says anyway?

Nuvinho
04-27-2009, 03:22 PM
is he going to talk about Carver on his show today...or is that too much to ask for.

BuSaPuNk
04-27-2009, 03:23 PM
LOL

It's true you can't really take what Bobo says at face value.

BTW great avatar Jack!!! :hump:

GuelphStorm2007
Who cares what some anti soccer Journalist in Toronto says.

Suds
almost feel sorry for him ... I wonder what it must feel like to know you're gradually becoming marginalized and on the outside looking in

JamboAl
04-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Jack's right. The more we get pissed off, the more he'll say things to piss us off.

Inspite of this, he has Brunt and Jeff Blair on all the time and once you get past the rhetoric and his hot air, his show is actually pretty good.

Parkdale
almost feel sorry for him ... I wonder what it must feel like to know you're gradually becoming marginalized and on the outside looking in

what the expression I'm looking for....

his bosses should put him out to pasture.

trane
^ I just though it was funny, he realy tries to get on our wrong side, it had obvious to me. He strarts the show with comments aimed at us, does not talk about the story directly, but make sure he mention football.

tfctillidie
04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
let's just be happy he is talkin about TFC and MLS...positive or negative it's still a publicity...I could careless what he says, its a pretty dull day for sports they need callers and listeners lol

werewolf
04-27-2009, 03:30 PM
LOL

He is starting to diversify his show now, he needs all the ratings he can get with Watters show slowly catching up.

ilikemusic
04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Bob McCown is the best sports media personality in the city.

The people who get worked up over his comments are doing exactly what he wants.

Prime Time Sports >>>> Everything else.

ExiledRed
04-27-2009, 03:32 PM
There are people who dont like soccer, and there are people who dont like foreign (or non north american) things.

I find that people who are repeatedly vocal about their dislike of soccer usually fall into the second category.

ilikemusic
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM
There are people who dont like soccer, and there are people who dont like foreign (or non north american) things.

I find that people who are repeatedly vocal about their dislike of soccer usually fall into the second category.

Or they are media personalities who know how to play their audience like a fiddle.

Keystone FC
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM
I didn't know Bill Archer had a brother. That poor family.

tfctillidie
04-27-2009, 03:34 PM
and with the comment, Bob just got more listeners to the Fan590 stream...Bob saves the day again!! lol

tlear
04-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Never listened to the moron and never will

dclaro
04-27-2009, 03:42 PM
hes just mad his hometown team, columbus, is doing bad

dantdot
04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
I know it's tough, but it's best if we don't give any attention to his incoherent ramblings.

Ladies Love Julius James
04-27-2009, 03:46 PM
I love em. he just does this for ramblings. Does the same with MMA NBa etc.

trane
04-27-2009, 03:47 PM
^ Is he a Yankee's fan?

OneLoveOneEric
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd describe this group as segregated (probably not in the way McCown meant it). Get mad at me if you want, but there are certainly a lot of holier-than-thou types around here.

Ladies Love Julius James
04-27-2009, 03:49 PM
^ Is he a Yankee's fan?

Nah LOL cracks us too but love how he rips JP Ricarddi and exactly how critical he is of Toronto sport fans. He loves the city though.

FluSH
04-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Anti-Soccer
Anti-Supporter

gtaguy
04-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I agree with jack that his mission is to piss people off..

However i do want to point this fact out.
And whatever this tool says will always make me feel better and i move on and ignore his dumbass comments..

HE HATES SOCCER YES WE KNOW THIS.

BUT HE'S THE BITCH IN HIS HOUSE THAT HAS TO TAKE
HIS DAUGHTER TO HER SOCCER GAMES.:rolleyes: ( I heard him talking
about it a month ago and tried to downplay it by saying he drove
her to the game but didn't really stick around to watch

I GUESS HIS INFLUENCE IN TRYING TO CHANGE PEOPLES MINDS
ABOUT FOOTY/SOCCER DON'T GO VERY FAR..
IM SURE WHEN HES TALKING ON THE AIR THE RADIO AT HIS HOUSE IS OFF...:D

I WOULD LOVE TO MEET THIS GIRL AND GIVE HER A MEDAL.

1. FOR HAVING A TOOL FOR A FATHER AND PUTTING UP WITH HIM
2. FOR HAVING THE GUTS TO PLAY A SPORT HER FATHER HATES

in your face bobo..

trane
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd describe this group as segregated (probably not in the way McCown meant it). Get mad at me if you want, but there are certainly a lot of holier-than-thou types around here.

I am offended, I cannot believe you would say this. How dare you makes such a comment, you should be banned, because I disagree with you.

Joke.

OneLoveOneEric
04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Ha! Well done, Trane.

trane
04-27-2009, 03:54 PM
^ I kind of agree with you.;)

OneLoveOneEric
04-27-2009, 03:54 PM
figured you would!

ilikemusic
04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
BUT HE'S THE BITCH IN HIS HOUSE THAT HAS TO TAKE
HIS DAUGHTER TO HER SOCCER GAMES.:rolleyes: ( I heard him talking
about it a month ago and tried to downplay it by saying he drove
her to the game but didn't really stick around to watch

How un-manly of him.

Taking his child to her soccer game.

What a pathetic bitch.

If he were a real man he would tell his daughter to fuck off and find her own way to her games. Am I right?

:rolleyes:

Whoop
04-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Wow, we have a sensitive lot here.

McCown has been around the NASL days, even covered it. He just doesn't like the sport. But he knows if he criticizes it everyone gets offended and go crazy and call in and up goes his ratings.

Why is it that everytime he makes a negative comment - and mind you, he's never crossed the line unlike some others - it gets plastered all over the boards?

trane
04-27-2009, 04:03 PM
^ As I said I thought it was funny. I am not offended personaly.

dantdot
04-27-2009, 04:08 PM
How un-manly of him.

What a pathetic bitch.

If he were a real man he would tell his daughter to fuck off and find her own way to her games. Am I right?

Absofuckinglutely, kids have it easy these days, back in the day, I walked up hill 16 kilometers, both ways, barefoot, in the snow to play my games on first generation turf.

Bluenose13
04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
How un-manly of him.

What a pathetic bitch.

What kind of a pathetic father takes there daughter to their soccer game & then doesn't stick around to watch them because he doesn't like the sport......that just makes him an asshole but keep defending him if you like :rolleyes:

Yohan
04-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Wow, we have a sensitive lot here.

McCown has been around the NASL days, even covered it. He just doesn't like the sport. But he knows if he criticizes it everyone gets offended and go crazy and call in and up goes his ratings.

Why is it that everytime he makes a negative comment - and mind you, he's never crossed the line unlike some others - it gets plastered all over the boards?
i still want to throat punch him, just because he is so annoying

fetajr
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Bob says he doesn't like soccer because its boring, slow, and doesn't understand it. But, the motherfucker LOVES golf and baseball... what a bullshit contradiction.

Troll
04-27-2009, 04:19 PM

Is that something to brag about? Or is that a statement showing how pathetic the sports personalities are in Toronto?

He and his show are garbage and always will be. I'd rather listen to 13 yr old girls sending shoutouts on z103 for 5 hours then put up with 2 minutes of his inane dribble.

Troll
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Bob says he doesn't like soccer because its boring, slow, and doesn't understand it. But, the motherfucker LOVES golf and baseball... what a bullshit contradiction.

You should defend your sport and put others down. :rolleyes:

How does that make you any different?

fetajr
04-27-2009, 04:29 PM
You should defend your sport and put others down. :rolleyes:

How does that make you any different?

sorry:D..didn't mean to put down baseball or golf... i like both sports when i play them...but i find them hard to watch.

ExiledRed
04-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Who watches golf?

what is it that they are seeing?

trane
04-27-2009, 04:35 PM
^ Grass grow. You go to give them that at least they got real turf.

nfitz
04-27-2009, 04:44 PM
I've never heard of this guy - perhaps because I stopped listening to sports radio almost 25 years ago.

So he's some neo-Nazi or something then? Wants the fans to be segregated?

Why do we care what someone like this thinks?

AL-MO
04-27-2009, 04:48 PM
WHO CARES?

Stop giving attention to these people. The only reason Bob says stuff like this is to get a reaction out of you!

And he is successful almost every time!

TFC RealDeal RPB
04-27-2009, 04:57 PM
^^^ YUP FUCK ALL THE HATER"S !!!!!!!!! Footy is the best game in the world .....................................

Don Julio
04-27-2009, 05:01 PM
He's harmless. His comments are little friendly barbs. I make the same comments to friends that are huge baseball fans. He's a personality, not an objective journalist, and that's what he's meant to be. I don't even remember the last time he talked an actual game - his show is mostly about sports business and the issues surrounding sports.

I enjoy his show (except when he's talking about baseball) and I'm guessing whatever he said about segregated fans made a lot more sense than the way it was portrayed here. He's like Don Cherry - he's crazy all the time, right about 80% of the time, and so wrong it's offensive the rest of the time.

bhoybobby
04-27-2009, 05:44 PM
The man has proven over and over again that he is a compete and utter ass, with a strong bias against the sport, so would anyone be suprised by this?
Fuck him.

He's a bigot in my book a racist bigot.

ilikemusic
04-27-2009, 05:48 PM
He's a bigot in my book a racist bigot.

Awful strong words.

Any particular reasons for that opinion?

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I didn't know Bill Archer had a brother. That poor family.

Well...they are both from Ohio.

greatwhitenorf
04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Bob's not used to having two Toronto teams in first place. Jolts him out of his normal crabby demeanour.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Ignore Bob....its ratings sweep time...he needs ratings....that and a life (sentence)

Raging Reggie
04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Bob McCown = Swine Flu

Get In There
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Awful strong words.

a) NFL players of today are not jumping to the aid of NFL players of the past (and their enormous need for health care) because today's players are mostly black and the guys from the day were white....that's why they don't support them.

Question for you - does he have to take responsibility for his 'agitating' words? Or does being under the guise of 'entertainment' absolve him?

Shakes McQueen
04-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Last week, McCown spent a good 5-10 minutes talking with Stephen Brunt about Liverpool's recent 4-4 draws with Chelsea and Arsenal - and he said he'd probably watch soccer games, if they were like that more often. A couple of months ago, he had a two hour panel with Nigel Reed and Craig Forrest, that was only about soccer, on his show. In his early days of broadcating, he was a play-by-play announcer in the NASL.

You guys take his comments on soccer way too seriously. Maybe it's just because I listen to his show every day, but you really start to get a feel for when he is giving his genuine opinion on something, and when he is exaggerating for a reaction.

He has admitted that he appreciates the sport, and the skill it takes to play it. He also admits that he doesn't like the lack of scoring in most games, the match-fixing scandals, and the diving.

As far as Toronto FC is concened, he has stated that he thinks the high attendance numbers are partly due to it being the "hip" thing right now, and the fact that people just want to be part of the party - they don't necessarily care about the team. And as a die-hard TFC supporter, I can say he's probably partially right. The fact that some people filter out of the stadium early, even when we are winning, certainly supports this notion.

Bob McCown isn't soccer's number one fan, but I think soccer fans are way too sensitive to what he says.

- Scott

bhoybobby
04-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Awful strong words.

I used to listen to the Fan on a regular basis (10 years), In my opinion & in my book, Bob has always marginalized Football, it's culture & it's fans. If there is a problem at a game somewhere in the world, he tars all Football fans with the same brush.

Fact of the matter is, one of McCowan's 1st gigs was play by play man for the Fort Lauderdale Strikers of the NASL.

In my opinion having listened to him, he marginalizes the game & it's fans, he practices a kind of ethic biased bashing of Football, disguised as sports radio journalism. Very ill informed (never been to a game at BMO) yet he feels qualified to vilify the product & it's fans.

Ask Cito Gaston what he thinks of McCowan's brand of journalism. He's a sad old Archie Bunker caught in a time warp. The Rush Limbaugh of sports Radio.

That's just my opinion though.

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Bob McCown isn't soccer's number one fan, but I think soccer fans are way too sensitive to what he says.

I don't think it's an issue of sensitivity. It's an issue of respect. Is there another sport Bobo McClown puts down?

I don't see other commentators putting down other sports to make themselves seem more intelligent?

If he likes hockey. Talk about hockey. If he likes baseball. Talk about the Jays. Don't like soccer? Who is forcing him to talk about it? But there is also no need to put down the sport AND it's fans. Doing so is an invitation for a reaction and asking a general fanbase not to react is a ridiculous thing to ask.

Every ridiculous putdown is a slap in the face of fans and I don't think it's reasonable to ask people not to react to his statements, even if they are intentionally meant to provoke.

Shakes McQueen
04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
McCown isn't a sports journalist, just like Rush Limbaugh isn't a political journalist - he's a radio personality, who is paid to give his opinions on the radio, because lots of people enjoy listening to it.

To most of the pro-soccer people he has on his show, his alleged dislike of the sport is more of a running joke, than a serious, foaming-at-the-mouth hatred.

- Scott

bhoybobby
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Last week, McCown spent a good 5-10 minutes talking with Stephen Brunt about Liverpool's recent 4-4 draws with Chelsea and Arsenal - and he said he'd probably watch soccer games, if they were like that more often. A couple of months ago, he had a two hour panel with Nigel Reed and Craig Forrest, that was only about soccer, on his show. In his early days of broadcating, he was a play-by-play announcer in the NASL.

You guys take his comments on soccer way too seriously. Maybe it's just because I listen to his show every day, but you really start to get a feel for when he is giving his genuine opinion on something, and when he is exaggerating for a reaction.

He has admitted that he appreciates the sport, and the skill it takes to play it. He also admits that he doesn't like the lack of scoring in most games, the match-fixing scandals, and the diving.

As far as Toronto FC is concened, he has stated that he thinks the high attendance numbers are partly due to it being the "hip" thing right now, and the fact that people just want to be part of the party - they don't necessarily care about the team. And as a die-hard TFC supporter, I can say he's probably partially right. The fact that some people filter out of the stadium early, even when we are winning, certainly supports this notion.

- Scott

As a die hard TFC & Football fan, I can say he's wrong, far fewer folks leave TFC games early than hockey, CFL, basketball & baseball.

When the mls in Toronto was 1st talked about, he pooh poohed it saying it wouldn't get support. Year 3, it's just part crashers.

He's a bonafida knob jockey.

Shakes McQueen
04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't think it's an issue of sensitivity. It's an issue of respect. Is there another sport Bobo McClown puts down?

I don't see other commentators putting down other sports to make themselves seem more intelligent?

If he likes hockey. Talk about hockey. If he likes baseball. Talk about the Jays. Don't like soccer? Who is forcing him to talk about it? But there is also no need to put down the sport AND it's fans. Doing so is an invitation for a reaction and asking a general fanbase not to react is a ridiculous thing to ask.

Every ridiculous putdown is a slap in the face of fans and I don't think it's reasonable to ask people not to react to his statements, even if they are intentionally meant to provoke.

Since when do radio personalities ascribe to the "if you don't have something nice to say..." mentality? haha. People tune in to McCown, because he has interesting, or controversial things to say about every sport.

Bob likes hockey, but routinely rips the NHL and the direction it's heading in. Bob likes baseball, but aside from this season, rips the Jays regularly.

Bob's statements on soccer are usually meant to provoke fans, but he doesn't say those things with a "mean" edge, coming as someone who watches his show regularly on Sportsnet. Guys like Brunt, who feature on his show all the time, joke around with him about his opinion of soccer. His "dislike" of soccer is a running joke on his show.

I'm not telling you not to react to the stuff he says. I'm just saying that, if you do, you're just doing what he wants you to do.

He really doesn't hate the sport as much as he says he does.

- Scott

Get In There
04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I've been listening to him since the fan started. - show isn't always that bad, but it's seen much better days - since Cito, he's had a real issue with race (ala going out of his way to make it clear black people voting for Obama because he is black is wrong).

He feels wronged regarding Cito......why can 'they' says things that I get in trouble for?

Just why he got slammed over the Obama coments. He's a bigot and can't see it.

I agree with your assessment.

B

Shakes McQueen
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
As a die hard TFC & Football fan, I can say he's wrong, far fewer folks leave TFC games early than hockey, CFL, basketball & baseball.

When the mls in Toronto was 1st talked about, he pooh poohed it saying it wouldn't get support. Year 3, it's just part crashers.

He's a bonafida knob jockey.

Okay, how about the people who buy one-off tickets to the supporters section, just to say they were in the supporters section? Then just sit there, and don't chant, or do anything.

I'm not saying Bob is 100% correct - I'm just saying that opinion isn't far fetched.

- Scott

jabbronies
04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Does he even have any sports cred still?? I stopped listening to him back in '98 during the basball strike...you know, when he actually was relevant.

Redcoe15
04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Glad I missed the first hour of the show.

Of course he spent the first half of the national hour of the show ripping apart the hockey culture and hockey mentality that exists in the NHL and supported by the hockey first crowd in Canada. So I expect there will be more puckheads angry at McCown tonight than soccer fans.

Shakes McQueen
04-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Does he even have any sports cred still?? I stopped listening to him back in '98 during the basball strike...you know, when he actually was relevant.

I personally don't listen to the show just for Bob, though some of his jawing with his guests is entertaining. I listen more for the interesting, and often high-profile guests he has on.

- Scott

InTheCrowd
04-27-2009, 07:04 PM
His commercials piss me off.

jabbronies
04-27-2009, 07:17 PM
His commercials piss me off.

Whats with the shades??

You know why he's such a douche? It's cos he was born in Craplumbus.
That's why he hates us. Because we're always making fun of his home town.

bhoybobby
04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Okay, how about the people who buy one-off tickets to the supporters section, just to say they were in the supporters section? Then just sit there, and don't chant, or do anything.

I'm not saying Bob is 100% correct - I'm just saying that opinion isn't far fetched.

- Scott

Give me some hard #'s. Are they not the most inexpensive tix at BMO. Besides even if true, which I doubt, they don't make a living running down the team, it's fans & the sport in general. I don't have an issue with anyone who buys a one off ticket, unless they're flare throwers.

Bob has never bought a one off ticket to experience what he runs down, he can go self procreate

Bars92
04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
The only games in Toronto he goes to are Argos games, where half the people are only there cause they got free tickets from some bullsh*t Coldplay promotion.

Chewy Unikronik
04-28-2009, 11:10 AM

Thank you.:hump:

Mojo
04-28-2009, 11:15 AM

Its typical American sporting behaviour...

They like NASCAR, everyone else likes F1
They like Handegg, everyone else likes real Football.

Baseball and cricket could also fall into that example, but not so much. Its just their market, its probably not going to change unfortunately.

LucaGol
04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Do we still care what he says?

If you listen to his show long enough, you start to realize that most of the time he justs winds people up for the sake of it.

And that's how you get monster ratings ... by being controversial.

MisterMacphisto
04-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I care as much about what's his name as I care about the toilet paper I used to wipe my ass with 10 years ago.