PDA

View Full Version : Too many games on GolTV?

Bobo
04-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Footie isn't huge in Canada. TFC is partly meant to raise the awareness of the sport in the country. With that being taken into account, does anyone else feel that too many games are being televised on Gol? Obviously people who aren't big on the sport won't be running to purchase Gol so even though its nice that every game is being televised somewhere, is ML$E in their never-ending search for more money hurting the team's nationwide recognition? Will it backfire on them? I think it might. Without making any actual calculations I will assume more games were aired on regular cable last year, so being less accessible to the general public, many people may further their talk about this 'bush league soccer'. Casuals won't buy the program and those who have it solely for top levels won't be much more inclined to watch it there than anywhere else. IMO Gol is really only catering to the fans TFC already have. What does everyone else think?

ilikemusic
04-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Agreed.

As bad as some of the Score and Sportsnet broadcasts were, at least they were available to the masses.

Bury the ugly Sunday evening games in Frisco on channel 428 all you like. Its probably even for the best.

Home games should not be on GolTV though. They should be the showpieces for this franchise.

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 01:51 PM
People at work who would casually watch the games were complaining about this same thing at lunch. It really sucks that they don't get to watch them. I'll say this though, CBC is not the solution, we had the same problems with them putting the games on CBC Bold. Sportsnet or someone else should be picking up home games.

Jeffro
04-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Why market to people who don't like Soccer when there are tens of thousands of footy fans in the gta alone who aren't interested in tfc, a lot of them probably have goltv for watching European/South American games.

Besides, the Score was absolute shite for tfc coverage.

drewski
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
if games had been taken from CBC and put on Gol it would be, but from my understanding, the games on Gol are games that would otherwise not be aired anywhere.

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't mind them having it on GolTV but it has to be limited.

And Paul...Mr. Beirne...please oh please get them to add the television schedule information on the channel! My Rogers PVR did not record the game yesterday because it didn't say "Major League Soccer" like the CBC and the Score does! Thankfully, there was a repeat today. But it would be good if you want people to see the game live, that the programming schedule reflects that.

nfitz
04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Not sure I'm seeing the issue here. Last year it was about 1/3 CBC, 1/3 Sportsnet, and 1/3 The Score. This year it is about 1/3 CBC, 1/3 Sportsnet, and 1/3 GOL TV.

The Score is only available as part of a large, expensive, package from Rogers; GOL TV is available as part of a package, or individually.

I guess GOL TV is only digital, but most people have digital these days.

I'd sooner all 34 games were on CBC and accessible to all, but GOL TV versus The Score doesn't seem to be all that different in accessibility. And GOL has provided their own commentary, rather than The Score that used some very bad local feeds. And GOL has had a 30-minute pregame and 30-minute postgame, that The Score very seldom did.

menefreghista
04-27-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm of the belief that TFC/MLSE would love it if they could have zero TFC games on Gol TV.

The games are there for a reason, nobody else wants them. So I'm not going to tear into MLSE and blame them for this. CBC is only interested in Saturday afternoon home games. Sportsnet can only add so many games with their Blue Jay heavy schedule. TSN seems to have very little interest in soccer unless its European.

Plus I'd rather have games on Gol TV with a truly local broadcast than a simulcast on The Score.

Don Julio
04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
No point in putting games on CBC if they end up on Bold.

elvis
04-27-2009, 02:01 PM
I'll only get GolTV when/if the games are in HD. Besides, they've screwed me too many times with supposed "freeviews" that never happened.

ilikemusic
04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Personally I find the 30 minute pregame shows to be completely useless.

But then im on the boards and the internets lurking for TFC info all day, so anything on the pre-game is just redundant to me (and probably everyone else reading this).

daner90
04-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Does anyone else experience really bad video from GOL?
I have a 42" HD tv and every other channel on my rogers digital is great.
We throw on GOL to watch the TFC games and the video and sound go choppy ever 4 or 5 seconds like we have an antenna and it is windy outside...anyone else have this problem?

menefreghista
04-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Personally I find the 30 minute pregame shows to be completely useless.

But then im on the boards and the internets lurking for TFC info all day, so anything on the pre-game is just redundant to me (and probably everyone else reading this).

The dumb thing about the pre-game show is that it essentially has 2 hosts. Lee Godfrey isn't a soccer 'analyst'. He use to be the host asking the 'expert' the questions.

We throw on GOL to watch the TFC games and the video and sound go choppy ever 4 or 5 seconds like we have an antenna and it is windy outside...anyone else have this problem?

I think this is a Rogers problem, I find they do something to non-HD channels that make them look worse on HD TVs.

Gol TV looks perfectly fine with an SD Rogers box on an old-school TV.

drewski
04-27-2009, 02:09 PM

motogp on speed is similar, so I always assumed it was the feed that was the problem

Laurignano
04-27-2009, 02:11 PM
is GOL tv going to go HD?

mr k
04-27-2009, 02:14 PM
it's nice to think about the potential unwashed masses watching it on CBC, Sportsnet or Score - but the ratings show that 90% of these type of people weren't watching it anyway.

And GOLtv's production is better than Sportsnet or the Score and on par with CBC - in some cases it is better such as in showing more of the atmosphere in the stands and better sound quality. They show more of the supporters and stay with the post match festivities before cutting to commercial (all similar to World Cup & Euro coverage).

C.Ronaldo
04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
make goal tv an online channel for the same price, and I'll buy it.

i watch 3/4 my tv over the computer connected to my LCD

welcome to the new era MLSE, time to make the jump

Troll
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM

And Paul...Mr. Beirne...please oh please get them to add the television schedule information on the channel! My Rogers PVR did not record the game yesterday because it didn't say "Major League Soccer" like the CBC and the Score does! Thankfully, there was a repeat today. But it would be good if you want people to see the game live, that the programming schedule reflects that.

you DO know that you can set to program a specific start and end time, regardless of what the guide says, right?

Alittle bit of reading goes along way sometimes.

Bobo
04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Why market to people who don't like Soccer when there are tens of thousands of footy fans in the gta alone who aren't interested in tfc, a lot of them probably have goltv for watching European/South American games.

Isn't that the point of expanding your audience? Trying to bring in the non-fans? True, there are a tonne of people who don't give a shit about footie but many will support for the sake of being a Toronto team. That's part of the reason why TFC is so huge for the development of the sport.

Not sure I'm seeing the issue here. Last year it was about 1/3 CBC, 1/3 Sportsnet, and 1/3 The Score. This year it is about 1/3 CBC, 1/3 Sportsnet, and 1/3 GOL TV.

The Score is only available as part of a large, expensive, package from Rogers; GOL TV is available as part of a package, or individually.

I guess GOL TV is only digital, but most people have digital these days.

I don't know, I think there are many more people who have the Score's cable package (though many never turn to it) than GolTV on digital cable. In my circles, nearly everyone has the normal cable package but only a couple have digital.

I'm of the belief that TFC/MLSE would love it if they could have zero TFC games on Gol TV.

And no one else would want the Leafs games that are on LeafsTV? I doubt it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Wow are you giving them too much credit. LOL

it's nice to think about the potential unwashed masses watching it on CBC, Sportsnet or Score - but the ratings show that 90% of these type of people weren't watching it anyway.

And GOLtv's production is better than Sportsnet or the Score and on par with CBC - in some cases it is better such as in showing more of the atmosphere in the stands and better sound quality. They show more of the supporters and stay with the post match festivities before cutting to commercial (all similar to World Cup & Euro coverage).

So forget about those people? Many haven't watched cause TFC have stunk it up in their first two seasons.

And I'm willing to bet that the increase in supporter shots is a marketing ploy by ML$E. Fair enough too.

Miko
04-27-2009, 02:27 PM

The games are there for a reason, nobody else wants them. So I'm not going to tear into MLSE and blame them for this. CBC is only interested in Saturday afternoon home games. Sportsnet can only add so many games with their Blue Jay heavy schedule. TSN seems to have very little interest in soccer unless its European.

Plus I'd rather have games on Gol TV with a truly local broadcast than a simulcast on The Score.

Don't kid yourself...MLSE owns GOL TV now (bought them late last year).

I think they are investing in the pregame and post game shows with a view to adding more games next year.

There's definitely more upside for them than on Leafs TV as National demand for the Leafs means they can only get a few games for the station.

menefreghista
04-27-2009, 02:29 PM
And no one else would want the Leafs games that are on LeafsTV? I doubt it. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Wow are you giving them too much credit. LOL

Sorry, your hatred for MLSE is making you either blind and/or dumb.

Comparing TFC to the Leafs is apples and oranges.

So please tell me, who should be carrying these Gol TV TFC games? Just to help you out, your answer can't be CBC or Sportsnet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As of this moment, 2 of the Voyageur Cup games are not even being televised (including one TFC home game). I bet if Gol TV picks these 2 games up some people will still whine and bitch about it.

Don't kid yourself...MLSE owns GOL TV now (bought them late last year).

I think they are investing in the pregame and post game shows with a view to adding more games next year.

There's definitely more upside for them than on Leafs TV as National demand for the Leafs means they can only get a few games for the station.

LOL. I'm well aware that MLSE owns Gol TV. I'm sure they would have liked to put handfull of games on Gol TV to help sell the channel. I don't think they wanted to have this many. They are still trying to grow the TFC brand as a television entity.

If TFC ratings ever improved, I'd be willing to bet that TSN/TSN2 might finally start to get interested.

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 02:30 PM

I think you can fault Rogers for that. Not GolTV. My GolTV on Bell had the right guide information.

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
I think you can fault Rogers for that. Not GolTV. My GolTV on Bell had the right guide information.

You're probably right...but they are the only ones that can really make a fuss.

I may call myself as well.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
And the alternatives are?

If MLSE could have cut a deal with a national broadcaster do you think they would have? Of course. TV programming is controlled by two things: Viewers and advertisers. TFC as a TV sporting event has neither beyond the GTA. The rest of the country couldn't give a shit.

There is plenty of quality to watch on 3 dedicated footy channels along with the Score, TSN and RSN. I've asked football nuts outside of this market if they've watched any TFC games and they respond…why would I?

Personally, I think its remarkable we get every game on television as it is.

Nazzer
04-27-2009, 02:38 PM

One positive of CBC covering the games is that they all end up on the internet so those that don't have cable can see the games.

Right now the only soccer games I get to see are ones that are on the internet, and so unless luck shines on me and someone posts the V Cup games then I can say I am disapointed that CBC is covering less soccer than last year.

C.Ronaldo
04-27-2009, 02:39 PM
^ theres no marketing outside of GTA

time to grow the team

tour ontario then canada.

grow the sport at grass roots , show up to tournaments in northern ontario, etc...

menefreghista
04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
One positive of CBC covering the games is that they all end up on the internet so those that don't have cable can see the games.

Right now the only soccer games I get to see are ones that are on the internet, and so unless luck shines on me and someone posts the V Cup games then I can say I am disapointed that CBC is covering less soccer than last year.

All TFC games are available on the internet.

http://209.85.62.26/html/emoticons/ninja.gif

nfitz
04-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't know, I think there are many more people who have the Score's cable package (though many never turn to it) than GolTV on digital cable. In my circles, nearly everyone has the normal cable package but only a couple have digital.Rogers was reporting about 66% of their subscribers were digital last year - hmm, statistically that means you only have 2 friends, and they both have digital! :)

I'd think the next phase of Rogers digital switchover is that they start dumping the non-basic analogue channels (the same way they already dumped Analogue versions of TMN, WGN, WPIX, etc.). So I'm not sure analogue Score ... or TSN ... will be around in a year or two.

Inklink
04-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Waay too many. A 3rd year club already forcing people to pay extra watch some games doesn't sit well with me. Yeah, it's 3 bucks, but regardless.

At least with CBC, even if it was on Bold, they had streaming online. And I mean decent quality streaming. Not effing choppy streams going down every 48 seconds with random ads popping up below. :|

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, I like the home broadcast crew which games on the Score didn't have.

menefreghista
04-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Here's something I would like to know, was the Score even interested this season in carrying TFC games?

tfctillidie
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
my GolTV free preview is done...boo!!!

menefreghista
04-27-2009, 03:07 PM
I wonder how many people who bitch about Gol TV pay for Setanta?

tfctillidie
04-27-2009, 03:10 PM
I have never bitched about GolTV, but I prefer Setanta

Nazzer
04-27-2009, 03:11 PM
All TFC games are available on the internet.

http://209.85.62.26/html/emoticons/ninja.gif

All I could find for Sundays game was some random ustream for it that sucked balls that went out every couple of minutes.

Mikey
04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
I'd like to see GolTV canada make an effort to connect with other regional broadcasters in the US and go for MLS coverage, not just TFC coverage.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Agreed.

As bad as some of the Score and Sportsnet broadcasts were, at least they were available to the masses.

Bury the ugly Sunday evening games in Frisco on channel 428 all you like. Its probably even for the best.

Home games should not be on GolTV though. They should be the showpieces for this franchise.

the masses were not tuning in....TFC should be on a football network
and Gol is the best of TFC broadcatsers.

Jack
04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
GolTV is a great channel. They show the Spanish League, the German League and a bunch of South American footy. Good quality stuff and it helps me avoid the overload of EPL that all the other channels carry.

I'll gladly pay for GolTV and watch a few TFC games on it as well.

nfitz
04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I'd like to see GolTV canada make an effort to connect with other regional broadcasters in the US and go for MLS coverage, not just TFC coverage.Didn't Paul mention that Gol TV HAD got a package of other MLS games - or did this fall through somehow?

Miko
04-27-2009, 03:35 PM

My Rogers guide (Whitby) was fine and was able to PVR it no problem - it may just have been a local issue.

Canary Canuck
04-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Look at the rest of the season's schedule. There's only 4 more games this year on Gol. Putting a bunch of games on Gol early was a business strategy to boost the channel's subscriber base. The rest of the season including the Voyageurs Cup is almost all Sportsnet and CBC.

nfitz
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Perhaps a bigger question - is who is going to be airing the May 13th game against the Impact which is our only non-friendly game this year that doesn't seem to have a broadcaster?

Or the May 20th game in Montreal against Vancouver?

menefreghista
04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Or the May 20th game in Montreal against Vancouver?

At the very least, this game will be on Radio-Canada. So even though its in French it will be broadcast.

nfitz
04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
At the very least, this game will be on Radio-Canada. So even though its in French it will be broadcast.Will it - I thought Concacaf soccer, was part of what they just cancelled with their budget cuts?

egoodwin
04-27-2009, 04:54 PM
it's only too many to those who are too cheap to get gol tv

menefreghista
04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Will it - I thought Concacaf soccer, was part of what they just cancelled with their budget cuts?

Both of Montreal's home games are being covered by SRC. I guess the budget cuts didn't kill everything.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
it's only too many to those who are too cheap to get gol tv

:drinking:.....Gol has been a breath of fresh air to TFC telecasts...pre/post game shows that lst longer the 15 mins, as other TFC broadcasters do...
back to cbc this weekend..unless hockey over runs it...:{

boban
04-27-2009, 06:12 PM
yeah there is. At least CBC streamed them online.

TFC USA
04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
:drinking:.....Gol has been a breath of fresh air to TFC telecasts...pre/post game shows that lst longer the 15 mins, as other TFC broadcasters do...
back to cbc this weekend..unless hockey over runs it...:{

CBC has been doing 30 minute pre-game shows and I think 10 minute post-game shows. Not bad if you ask me.

Yeah Gol TV gets too many games. As an American living in the US who has the CBC it means I have to look for crappy streams. :p

With the budget cuts though I'm fearing the worst from CBC, and that they'll drop the TFC coverage altogether next year since the ratings are poor.

boban
04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
No there weren't .
It was closer to 1/2 cbc (with 3 or so on Bold), 1/3 sportsnet, 1/6 Score.
CBC decided not to carry a few game son the main network.
But I am of the opinion that GOL is not the way to go to expand the brand.
Puts money in MLSE pockets though.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-27-2009, 06:19 PM
CBC has been doing 30 minute pre-game shows and I think 10 minute post-game shows. Not bad if you ask me.

Yeah Gol TV gets too many games. As an American living in the US who has the CBC it means I have to look for crappy streams. :p

With the budget cuts though I'm fearing the worst from CBC, and that they'll drop the TFC coverage altogether next year since the ratings are poor.

as long as they want the Leafs i dont think they will drop TFC!! lets face it...Leafs hockey saves the CBC other then them and TFC there is no
real reason to watch the CBC.

NateDoGG
04-27-2009, 06:20 PM
i thought goltv was only goin to show away games...
showing the home games NOT on the cbc is just wrong...

TFC USA
04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
as long as they want the Leafs i dont think they will drop TFC!! lets face it...Leafs hockey saves the CBC other then them and TFC there is no
real reason to watch the CBC.

Hmmm........they have exclusive rights to the FIFA World Cup. What about that?

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Way too many games......GolTV suks in all honesty. I will not buy it. I really couldnt give a flying about Asia or Mexico....ALL TFC games need to be on CBC to grow the support pretty simple........so I guess I need Setanta so I can occasionaly watch DUFC and GOLTV now so I can watch TFC...thats bullshit....for one....KIDS who are future Supporters cant tell their parents(who likley cant afford it, that they want another channel on the dish so they can watch their local team)......typical MLS bullshit that suks large cok......MLS and conversley MLSE has got it all wrong...after all its called "The Peoples Game" the World over....as a country trying to grow that game why in the feck do I need a specialty channel to watch it....MENTAL. Oh and while Im at it Football games start at 3pm on a Saturday unless they cant because of other competition commitments.......lets see....we dont have any other commitments at the moment so whats with that.......is it because GolTV said so cause itll clash with some other pish they have on...CMON...get your shit together MLS....Yes I am John Carver in disguise but relly who can blame the guy its enough to give you an ulcer......

mlsintoronto
04-27-2009, 07:26 PM
to those who are complaining that Gol is a pay service...you DO understand that sportsnet is too? and Setanta? I agree we need better carriage - need to get Bell and Rogers to put it into their main sports package.

mlsintoronto
04-27-2009, 07:28 PM
And I'm pretty sure that this is the 3rd year in a row that Toronto is the only MLS team to have all games on the air. (Not sure about this season)

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
to those who are complaining that Gol is a pay service...you DO understand that sportsnet is too? and Setanta? I agree we need better carriage - need to get Bell and Rogers to put it into their main sports package.
My point entirly mate...I have Setanta which is worth having but now I need another pay channel to watch my local team.......silly silly silly

Ladies Love Julius James
04-27-2009, 07:30 PM
My only issue as to why I don't have GolTv is I fell for a similar trap before. Raptors announced a few years ago that 26 games were going to be exclusively on RaptorsTV. I love my basketball so I went out spent 100 on the box and bought the channel. 2 years later those 26 or so games were on TSN2 and only 2 games are now excluesively on RaptorsTV. Complete waste so I'm not bothering with this again.

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 07:31 PM
OA, those are strong feelings when you consider it's only $2 a month.

And the reason the games are on GolTV is because CBC and Sportsnet didn't pick them all up. Everyone is scaling back.

So MLSE did the smart thing and made themselves a part of the broadcast game. It makes sure all games are on TV and any games that aren't picked up by the national broadcasters are still shown on TV.

Why we'd need to somehow make it a negative on MLSE I don't know. There is lots about MLSE I don't like, but the GolTV issue is not one of them.

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
My point entirly mate...I have Setanta which is worth having but now I need another pay channel to watch my local team.......silly silly silly

Then your issue is with your carrier, (Rogers or Bell) not with TFC.

Canary Canuck
04-27-2009, 07:41 PM
^^^ Agreed! It's 2 freaking dollars for sweet TFC coverage plus the best games from Spain and Germany. If you don't like it there's only FOUR more games this year on Gol so it's not a big deal.

flatpicker
04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Will it - I thought Concacaf soccer, was part of what they just cancelled with their budget cuts?

I believe that was CONCACAF Champions League games.
The Canadian championship isn't Champions League.
So I wouldn't worry... if Toronto wins the Canadian title then I'm sure Goltv will cover their Champions League games.
If Montreal were to win... then Impact fans might have a problem watching their team again this year.
But we all know that's not gonna happen because TFC is gonna take this country by storm!

As for the whole "too many Goltv games" discussion.
I don't get it... doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
My basic Rogers cable doesn't get the free Goltv broadcasts... but I have been at the games so it doesn't bother me much.
But if Goltv were going to carry a lot of road games, then I wouldn't have any problem paying the small fee to have the channel.

Sonny Cheeba
04-27-2009, 07:59 PM
i'd get Gol TV if i had a box. but i'm fine with the feeds i've been getting online.

nfitz
04-27-2009, 08:24 PM
I believe that was CONCACAF Champions League games.
The Canadian championship isn't Champions League.Perhaps it was ... though I figured the reason that CBC wasn't carrying any of the Canadian Championship, was because of their cuts.

Hmm, not Champions League - but Concacaf calls it "2010 Champions League Qualifying/Canada"

Bars92
04-27-2009, 08:33 PM
they (the score) have Toronto fc players on the Footy show, makes no sense that they wouldn't want to air the matches.

boban
04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
You missed the whole point entirely Paul.
Setanta is for hard core fans.
You need to grow the local team. Casual fans are not going to buy GOL for that.
And GOL is just another cost. Yes Sportsnet is pay service, but it and TSN are primary level sports packages that everyone gets because of the breadth of coverage.

menefreghista
04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
they (the score) have Toronto fc players on the Footy show, makes no sense that they wouldn't want to air the matches.

Maybe TFC asked them to provide their own commentary and the Score balked at that?

We don't know for sure the reason, and its doubtful anyone would tell us.

I'm sure if TFC had their way, all 30 TFC games would be on live on CBC. No other network has more reach than the CBC. Its just not feasible so we have to live with what we have.

Considering some of the ratings TFC matches had gotten over the last 2 seasons we are lucky to have the coverage that we do. Stations like the Score, Sportsnet, TSN aren't charities who will broadcast games for the sake of TFC fans.

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
i'd get Gol TV if i had a box. but i'm fine with the feeds i've been getting online.

Sssshhhh thats the feeds your not getting online and nobody ever told you that there wasnt feeds online.....

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 08:42 PM
And GOL is just another cost. Yes Sportsnet is pay service, but it and TSN are primary level sports packages that everyone gets because of the breadth of coverage.

Three Cheers...someone with a brain.......Thanks Boban couldnt have put it better

Bars92
04-27-2009, 08:42 PM
At least there's a bunch of games on Sportnet. I was like where are the SN games? It was the same bollix last year with CBC Bold.

jloome
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
The future is niche content and it's definitely not having commercial sports broadcasts on CBC (which at some point is going to have to undergo a BBC-style mandate review in order to get stable funding, which may well mean more PBS-style and less commercial-style programming.)

Plus, the Sports Networks either go big or cheap: top four sport, or lawn bowling in Pesaquequa, New Jersey.

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
OA, those are strong feelings when you consider it's only $2 a month.

And the reason the games are on GolTV is because CBC and Sportsnet didn't pick them all up. Everyone is scaling back.

So MLSE did the smart thing and made themselves a part of the broadcast game. It makes sure all games are on TV and any games that aren't picked up by the national broadcasters are still shown on TV.

Why we'd need to somehow make it a negative on MLSE I don't know. There is lots about MLSE I don't like, but the GolTV issue is not one of them.

You know what mate its not that its a paltry 2 bucks its that we have to pay for it at all (its hardly like we are MUFC or CFC with their tv packages or the Leafs for that matter with LEAFSTV)....Im sure u understand that most "soccer"/football supporters are working class people and that 2 bucks on top of 14 bucks for a channel like Setanta ,on top of the 90 bucks a month we all pay to watch sportsnet and tsn is a lot of money to say a family who has 5 kids in the 8 to 16 yr old range...those 5 kids should be able to grow up getting excited about watching their home town team on a Saturday with their Dad on TV cause lets face it they wont ever get to BMO field until they are old enough to make their own coin......and scalp tickets........You know maybe MLSE knowing that everyone is scaling back and that they are trying to grow a future FANBASE might take things into their own hands for a few years and say to a company like Bell...lets show all of our games for free for the next few years (and we will make up the difference.)so that we can hook some potential future customers...good business sense if u ask me........

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-27-2009, 09:06 PM

you not going to get fans at all when cbc puts a hockey playoff on the same day as a TFC game...if the game goes into overtime...TFC will get
shafted...the perfect reason games should not be on cbc at least till the stanley cup ends...CBC should be contracted to leave the Hockey early if necessary this staurday or just give the game to GOL...a proper footie network!

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
you not going to get fans at all when cbc puts a hockey playoff on the same day as a TFC game...if the game goes into overtime...TFC will get
shafted...the perfect reason agmes should not be on cbc at least till the stanley cup ends...CBC should be contracted to leave the Hockey early if necessary this staurday or just give the game to GOL...a proper footie network!

I really hope u r joking

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Way too many games......GolTV suks in all honesty. I will not buy it. I really couldnt give a flying about Asia or Mexico....ALL TFC games need to be on CBC to grow the support pretty simple........so I guess I need Setanta so I can occasionaly watch DUFC and GOLTV now so I can watch TFC...thats bullshit....for one....KIDS who are future Supporters cant tell their parents(who likley cant afford it, that they want another channel on the dish so they can watch their local team)......typical MLS bullshit that suks large cok......MLS and conversley MLSE has got it all wrong...after all its called "The Peoples Game" the World over....as a country trying to grow that game why in the feck do I need a specialty channel to watch it....MENTAL. Oh and while Im at it Football games start at 3pm on a Saturday unless they cant because of other competition commitments.......lets see....we dont have any other commitments at the moment so whats with that.......is it because GolTV said so cause itll clash with some other pish they have on...CMON...get your shit together MLS....Yes I am John Carver in disguise but relly who can blame the guy its enough to give you an ulcer......

again cbc has scheduled a nhl playoff game before the TFC game
this is not going to grow the sport....football should never take second place to anyother mediocre sport...TFC should insist until the playoffs are over that TFC games will go to which ever network is willing to broadcast them live. CBC...BLOWS

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
[/u]

I really hope u r joking

NOPE..

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
this is not going to grow the sport....football should never take second place to anyother mediocre sport...TFC should insist until the playoffs are over that TFC games will go to which ever network is willing to broadcast them live. CBC...BLOWS
OK I agree but why does it have to be CBC why cant MLSE grow some braincells and tell Bell/Rogers that they themselves will put on a feed to the game on matchday...why should a 3 year old team think that they can charge the general public money to watch them...if they play their cards right at this early stage of existence then TFC end up with more fans than the Raptors for sure and the Leafs close behind...its quite simple......they should be making these games available to everybody in Ontario for FREE.....

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
And not to be smart but NHL playoff game is much bigger than TFC...if you want it to stay that way then continue to have your "niche"...its totally the wrong attitude to growing the game in Ontario.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
And not to be smart but NHL playoff game is much bigger than TFC...if you want it to stay that way then continue to have your "niche"...its totally the wrong attitude to growing the game in Ontario.

hows it going to grow the game...if its delayed by hockey? no one likes to watch a football match joined in progress with 30 mins left in the match which is more then likely staurday will the dull tight lowscoring games hhl playoffs usually bring..if cbc really cared at least have the game live on bold that way fans could watch from the opening KO none of this joined in progress crap.

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 09:38 PM
read my post above the one u quoted pal.......

Blizzard
04-27-2009, 09:39 PM
The dumb thing about the pre-game show is that it essentially has 2 hosts. Lee Godfrey isn't a soccer 'analyst'. He use to be the host asking the 'expert' the questions.

Bingo!

DeVos is their regualr analyst but obviously he is busy elsewhere. I'd suggest that Dick Howard would be the man IF they are really trying to establish credibility.

I know some aren't fond of Dick but I think he can dissect and explain a replay better than anybody in this country.

Blizzard
04-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Maybe TFC asked them to provide their own commentary and the Score balked at that?

We don't know for sure the reason, and its doubtful anyone would tell us.

I'm sure if TFC had their way, all 30 TFC games would be on live on CBC. No other network has more reach than the CBC. Its just not feasible so we have to live with what we have.

Considering some of the ratings TFC matches had gotten over the last 2 seasons we are lucky to have the coverage that we do. Stations like the Score, Sportsnet, TSN aren't charities who will broadcast games for the sake of TFC fans.

Bingo again! We are extremely fortunate to be getting what we get IMO.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-27-2009, 09:42 PM
OK I agree but why does it have to be CBC why cant MLSE grow some braincells and tell Bell/Rogers that they themselves will put on a feed to the game on matchday...why should a 3 year old team think that they can charge the general public money to watch them...if they play their cards right at this early stage of existence then TFC end up with more fans than the Raptors for sure and the Leafs close behind...its quite simple......they should be making these games available to everybody in Ontario for FREE.....

jeezus its only what $1.99-2.99 ($1.99-@.99) a month? howz that going to break anyones wallet...but really if MLSE was smart they would put all Leaf games on PPV and make a killing ...I have Gol, Setanta and fox sports world..all great for value and enterainment..cbc should have known
better to schedule a TFC game on the same day of a playoff hockey game...trade the game off with gol for another game...i doubt cbc
would do that for the footie fans.

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but dont Bell own a stake in MLSE..?????

Blizzard
04-27-2009, 09:45 PM
[/u]

I really hope u r joking

LOL. Man oh man my ignore list is getting long!

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 09:46 PM

They are a stakeholder, but I don't think they are a majority owner.

TD also has a share of MLSE and yet BMO is their sponsor.

Ownership has little to do with operations. They are there to increase the value of their investment and let the operations and growth be managed by the executive.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-27-2009, 09:46 PM

Yes they do...they are also bidding on the Canadians franchise if it becomes avaiable..so then they would have to sell their shares in the Leafs..

boomcha
04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I know from a reliable source (a close neighbour of mine is a editor manager at CBC) that they are going to be cutting some TFC and other soccer because the viewership is not there, I would love for all TFC games to be show on HD because then you don't even really need a cable/satellite subscription (OTA FTW) but that is not going to happen.

GolTV is 3 bux a month.. and for that we get the pleasure of looking at Andi Petrillo. And TFC games. ;)

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
jeezus its only what $1.99-2.99 ($1.99-@.99) a month? howz that going to break anyones wallet...but really if MLSE was smart they would put all Leaf games on PPV and make a killing ...I have Gol, Setanta and fox sports world..all great for value and enterainment..cbc should have known
better to schedule a TFC game on the same day of a playoff hockey game...trade the game off with gol for another game...i doubt cbc
would do that for the footie fans.
U just dont get it do you...........3 year old team.........looking to grow fanbase...........should be doing everything they can to get game available to all that want to watch for FREE......even shoving it into the faces of those who have No intention of watching unless they happen upon it. MLSE who owns TFC has a shareholding partner that is part of CTV Globemedia I do believe......therefore why MLSE/CTV dont understand that a clever thing to do for a few years would be to put a FREE channel (in conjuntion with the carriers, which MLSE/CTV could easily pay for) on a matchday so that all of their present customers who might not even subscribe to one of their sports packages can watch the mutha fuckin game dude.......think about it....JEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ

Wighty
04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
football should never take second place to anyother mediocre sport...

the dull tight lowscoring games hhl playoffs usually bring..if cbc really cared at least have the game live on bold that way fans could watch from the opening KO none of this joined in progress crap.

I am not a hockey fan, but is shitting on it really needed? I've heard hockey fans shit all over football for years, it sounded as ignorant comming from them as it does from you.

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Ill shut up know....que quotes.....If we continue to view our team and ourselves as being in a Niche as far as sports go here in Canada then the game will never grow to its full potential.....for all that think its ok that its good for a new team with next to No fanbase outside the city of T.O,s walls to immediatley in year 3 make a proportion of its games an exclusive club then u r just nuts. A few games this year and if u all keep paying then next year it will be most of the games and the year after that will be an exclusive large money a month channel and the dream will falter....as the entire MLS has done since its inception......which is very unfortunate because the potential is here in North America to have a better league than the EPL....but it takes a long long time to get there and an awful lot of history....History could start here with something radical like free matches for all......but I guess it wont.

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 10:16 PM
LOL. Man oh man my ignore list is getting long!

For what mate cause I said GolTV was a second fiddle football station much like Fox Sports....Cheers thanks for your meaningfull input.

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Poll results are saying it all really

bhoybobby
04-27-2009, 10:27 PM
And the alternatives are?

If MLSE could have cut a deal with a national broadcaster do you think they would have? Of course. TV programming is controlled by two things: Viewers and advertisers. TFC as a TV sporting event has neither beyond the GTA. The rest of the country couldn't give a shit.

There is plenty of quality to watch on 3 dedicated footy channels along with the Score, TSN and RSN. I've asked football nuts outside of this market if they've watched any TFC games and they respond…why would I?

Personally, I think its remarkable we get every game on television as it is.

That sums it up fellas, well said.

Maybe a world class DP & an upgraded packed stadium (30,000) with a championship team that goes deep in that CONCAFF tourney would change that.

I love BMO for what it is, but, if you have a good look at it, it's pretty shitty. At least get 8,000 more seats & a facade on the exterior & grass.

Canary Canuck
04-27-2009, 10:28 PM

eEhDZN0RFjw

S_D
04-27-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't get golTV because we already spend too much on our cable bills. Got to draw a line somewhere. If I miss a game so be it as I can always find something else to do. I am sure my daughter would be thrilled being able to kick my ass at candyland even more than she is now :)

But on a more serious note, if nobody else will pick up the games then thay may as well go on golTV.

Just as an aside, I wonder if those who say it is just a little more cash a month will sing the same tune if the basic cable stations get their way with CRTC in being able to collect a monthly fee for being carried on cable.

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 10:54 PM
That sums it up fellas, well said.

Maybe a world class DP & an upgraded packed stadium (30,000) with a championship team that goes deep in that CONCAFF tourney would change that.

I love BMO for what it is, but, if you have a good look at it, it's pretty shitty. At least get 8,000 more seats & a facade on the exterior & grass.

So Bobby the whole point is we should just bend over now and take it cause as long as the 20,000 are sold out every week and we all purchase GOLTV then MLSE have done their job and made more money......which appears to be good enough for some people....we both know that its not good enough and this game is tribal and pulls on our heartstrings...its life. Im not slighting TFC in any way shape or form I just think that the people who own this team are showing no ambition at all......TFC really could be the biggest sports team in Ontario and they seem satisfied just to make money...Its like the Leafs and the Raps its disgusting really...after all its not like they cant afford the extra 8000 seats or the grass or the World Class DP or the Big name coach or the free fuckin games to everyone in the province....its just that they dont care because its easy to just accept the cash......I hope the 1.99 to 2.99 a month for GOLTV which Ive been quoted a few times now goes towards a proper pitch next season and maybe finally a DP or how about a roof on the stands........

Ontario Arab
04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't get golTV because we already spend too much on our cable bills. Got to draw a line somewhere. If I miss a game so be it as I can always find something else to do. I am sure my daughter would be thrilled being able to kick my ass at candyland even more than she is now :)

But on a more serious note, if nobody else will pick up the games then thay may as well go on golTV.

Just as an aside, I wonder if those who say it is just a little more cash a month will sing the same tune if the basic cable stations get their way with CRTC in being able to collect a monthly fee for being carried on cable.
Thanks Man:canada:

Jeffro
04-27-2009, 11:25 PM

So let me get this straight... You don't mind paying $15 bucks for Setanta, but $2 bucks to watch your local team is out of the question??

silly silly silly

I don't pay for cable so I have neither channel, I go to my local for big games, and stream the rest online for free.

2 Dollars! How many other goofy channels do you have that you don't watch?

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 11:34 PM
So let me get this straight... You don't mind paying $15 bucks for Setanta, but $2 bucks to watch your local team is out of the question??

silly silly silly

I don't pay for cable so I have neither channel, I go to my local for big games, and stream the rest online for free.

2 Dollars! How many other goofy channels do you have that you don't watch?

LOL!

Best post in the thread.

Yohan
04-27-2009, 11:35 PM
by comparison, how many large double doubles you get per day?

S_D
04-27-2009, 11:39 PM
now don't try and get between a man and his coffee :)

Jeffro
04-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Oh the things I could afford were it not for coffee.... (.....and beer ;) )

C.Ronaldo
04-28-2009, 09:58 AM
STREAM THE GAMES ONLINE IF THIS ISN'T A CASH GRAB!

simple as that.

100% of games should be streamed for free when your trying to grow your product.

C.Ronaldo
04-28-2009, 10:01 AM
P.S

Why does everyone assume EVERYONE has cable/satelitte.

Some of us are content with HD Antenna (which is about 12-15 network channels)

outside of sports which i watch on the net, i probably watch 2 or 3 hours of TV a week. Hardly worth getting cable for.

menefreghista
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
P.S

Why does everyone assume EVERYONE has cable/satelitte.

Some of us are content with HD Antenna (which is about 12-15 network channels)

outside of sports which i watch on the net, i probably watch 2 or 3 hours of TV a week. Hardly worth getting cable for.

You do realize that there is an increasing trend of less and less sports on free-to-air networks?

If you are a dedicated sports fan who wants lots of sports coverage you pretty much have no choice but to get cable or satellite.

People should realize this when whining and bitching about Gol TV. The traditional broadcast channels that you can grab with an antennae are becoming less and less interested in sports, unless they know its a big event with guaranteed numbers, or if they can cheaply simulcast an American broadcast. These networks are not going to help us grow the TFC brand, just because we want them to.

nummer20
04-28-2009, 10:29 AM
STREAM THE GAMES ONLINE IF THIS ISN'T A CASH GRAB!

simple as that.

100% of games should be streamed for free when your trying to grow your product.

I agree with this. Put a static IP block on those outside of the Country or whatever market region they want to exclude and you're good as gold. ESPN and ITV do this already with their Champions League streaming coverage, doesn't seem to be hurting them much.

menefreghista
04-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Its doubtful that TFC will stream all games for free while MLS is trying to sell an online streaming package.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-28-2009, 06:37 PM
I know from a reliable source (a close neighbour of mine is a editor manager at CBC) that they are going to be cutting some TFC and other soccer because the viewership is not there, I would love for all TFC games to be show on HD because then you don't even really need a cable/satellite subscription (OTA FTW) but that is not going to happen.

GolTV is 3 bux a month.. and for that we get the pleasure of looking at Andi Petrillo. And TFC games. ;)

So cbc is bailing on football..theres a shock...so it looks like TFC might be on Gol more often which is just fine by me...:drinking:

olegunnar
04-28-2009, 07:07 PM
I have GolTV and will be watching the KC game replay tonight at 9pm.

That said...I don't think the decision to put the games on GolTV is a bad one. Who subscribes to GolTV? Soccer fans. Are all of them TFC fans? Doubt it. Why not grow the base with real potential viewers then move it once you have a solid base of viewers....rather than try to win over non-fans from scratch?

GIZ GUNNER KR
04-28-2009, 07:13 PM
i voted no..but i also have GoL. i can see where people are comming from tho. i also agree home games shouldnt be on GoL.

nascarguy
04-28-2009, 09:31 PM
all game sould be on goltv it's only 2$. I cancel Setanta

goltv is free for all tfc game if you gus did not know that

Talorcan
04-28-2009, 10:16 PM
If you have an issue with $2 a month order it only for the game/month you want and then cancel. They will prorate it.

Futher I have come to really enjoy Bundesliga and quality games from SA and Spain on golTV. There are other leagues than the EPL and MLS....
CBC's production irritates me at the best of times but I have to admit adding Gina Bucci to the line up means they at least have someone reporting who loves the sport and can speak intelligently to the game.

Setanta is a ripoff at $15/month when it should be no more than $5 a month especially when we used to get 3 games on Saturday's on the Score....
:pbjtime:

Toronto_Bhoy
04-28-2009, 10:35 PM
So let me sum things up:
According to mlstoronto, we are the only team in the MLS that has every game broadcasted in some form.
In order to see games on GolTV it costs $2.99 a month.
If do not want to pay $2.99 you can stream games for free from CBC Sports.ca
If your in car and can't access a TV or computer you can hear the game live on the FAN 590.
Sorry, can someone remind me what the fucking problem is? :confused:

TFC USA
04-28-2009, 10:38 PM
So cbc is bailing on football..theres a shock...so it looks like TFC might be on Gol more often which is just fine by me...:drinking:

You're overreacting. What the hell are they supposed to do? Cut Hockey Night in Canada?

Sorry man but do you think Brazilian basketball fans are livid that their TV channel is airing football instead? :eek:

Maple Leaf Red
04-29-2009, 12:03 AM
I have GolTV and will be watching the KC game replay tonight at 9pm.

That said...I don't think the decision to put the games on GolTV is a bad one. Who subscribes to GolTV? Soccer fans. Are all of them TFC fans? Doubt it. Why not grow the base with real potential viewers then move it once you have a solid base of viewers....rather than try to win over non-fans from scratch?
That's a great post as was the one pointing out that TFC would love a national broadcasting deal but it obviously doesn't exist.

It's marketing 101 to go after your target market (soccer fans) rather than taking a scattershot approach. For TFC that's soccer fans. It makes more sense for TFC to put together a quality broadcast on GolTV than to have subpar broadcasts on The Score. Not to mention that if the fee for the channel is legitimately onerous then maybe you just cancel other channels. It's not your right to have the games on tv channels that you already pay for.

As for online streaming, it would be great if they could do it but considering that the MLS has a pay service I would bet that they have exclusive online broadcasting rights.

Not every decision made by MLSE is looking to gouge extra money out of the fans...

Maple Leaf Red
04-29-2009, 12:11 AM
You know what mate its not that its a paltry 2 bucks its that we have to pay for it at all (its hardly like we are MUFC or CFC with their tv packages or the Leafs for that matter with LEAFSTV)....Im sure u understand that most "soccer"/football supporters are working class people and that 2 bucks on top of 14 bucks for a channel like Setanta ,on top of the 90 bucks a month we all pay to watch sportsnet and tsn is a lot of money to say a family who has 5 kids in the 8 to 16 yr old range...those 5 kids should be able to grow up getting excited about watching their home town team on a Saturday with their Dad on TV cause lets face it they wont ever get to BMO field until they are old enough to make their own coin......and scalp tickets........You know maybe MLSE knowing that everyone is scaling back and that they are trying to grow a future FANBASE might take things into their own hands for a few years and say to a company like Bell...lets show all of our games for free for the next few years (and we will make up the difference.)so that we can hook some potential future customers...good business sense if u ask me........
- $2 is one coin. If it's a stretch then that family of 7 can cut back elsewhere or do without something that isn't essential.
- MLSE has done something to make sure that the games that are not on TV make it to air: they bought GolTV, they've created pre and post-game shows, and they are showcasing the team to established football fans.

S_D
04-29-2009, 08:47 AM
goltv is free for all tfc game if you gus did not know that

not on Rogers. 1 TFC game was available. All the rest, so far have only been available if you subscribe. Even after Paul told us it would be, I guess Rogers decided not to do it. ;)

If do not want to pay $2.99 you can stream games for free from CBC Sports.ca

Nope. You can only watch the streams on CBC.ca if the program is playing on CBC. When it is on GolTV, nobody carries it online unless it is being rebroadcast by a fan.

I guess my only gripe with programming on GolTV is that besides TFC games, I would never watch the channel. I am not interested in watching foreign leagues at all, and only watch other MLS games if I have nothing else to do.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Nope. You can only watch the streams on CBC.ca if the program is playing on CBC. When it is on GolTV, nobody carries it online unless it is being rebroadcast by a fan.

Point taken S_D.

I guess what I'm trying to illustrate is that the coverage of this team greatly exceeds the "market's demand".

Virtually EVERY game is broadcast in some form and accessible via TV, internet and/or radio. For a niché product (and I'm sorry people but beyond us, that's what it is!) the coverage is unbelievable!

I understand some have reservations about GolTV but if MLSE created a specialty channel, ala MUTV/CelticTV dedicated to all things TFC we'd all be delighted…what a second…isn't that…

Oldtimer
04-29-2009, 10:30 AM
- $2 is one coin. If it's a stretch then that family of 7 can cut back elsewhere or do without something that isn't essential.
- MLSE has done something to make sure that the games that are not on TV make it to air: they bought GolTV, they've created pre and post-game shows, and they are showcasing the team to established football fans.

Don't forget that GOL TV is losing tonnes of money. It will be a while before MLSE can turn that operation around.

Do you think that $2.99 per month from TFC fans would even begin to pay the cost of the top flight studio production that they are doing?

MLSE is taking a loss on broadcasting now to help grow the fanbase in the long-term, since our "national broadcaster" is unwilling to do it. I'm sure they bought GOL TV specifically so that they can market TFC to footy fans (TFC's target market) who aren't yet fans of MLS. The alternative is watching games on the Score, with no pre/postgame and terrible production values interrupted by a ticker, or maybe not at all.

Say what you like about short-term greed, this is NOT an example of it.

BakaGaijin
04-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Point taken S_D.

I guess what I'm trying to illustrate is that the coverage of this team greatly exceeds the "market's demand".

Virtually EVERY game is broadcast in some form and accessible via TV, internet and/or radio. For a niché product (and I'm sorry people but beyond us, that's what it is!) the coverage is unbelievable!

I understand some have reservations about GolTV but if MLSE created a specialty channel, ala MUTV/CelticTV dedicated to all things TFC we'd all be delighted…what a second…isn't that…

Have you ever watched Leafs TV or Raps TV?!?

Those channels are horrible.

Blizzard
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Don't forget that GOL TV is losing tonnes of money. It will be a while before MLSE can turn that operation around.

Do you think that $2.99 per month from TFC fans would even begin to pay the cost of the top flight studio production that they are doing?

MLSE is taking a loss on broadcasting now to help grow the fanbase in the long-term, since our "national broadcaster" is unwilling to do it. I'm sure they bought GOL TV specifically so that they can market TFC to footy fans (TFC's target market) who aren't yet fans of MLS. The alternative is watching games on the Score, with no pre/postgame and terrible production values interrupted by a ticker, or maybe not at all.

Some commercial revenue in addition to the $2.99 too of course although I can't imagine JMT Metrosport was paying very much for the Rohan Ricketts commercial even though it must have played 10 times during last night's replay of the match.

BTW, no question, Gol is by far superior to what we saw on The Score and is very comparable to the other telecasts although they do need a real analyst for their pre/post match and ht segments.

Two hosts and no experts doesn't cut it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-29-2009, 10:38 AM
You're overreacting. What the hell are they supposed to do? Cut Hockey Night in Canada?

Sorry man but do you think Brazilian basketball fans are livid that their TV channel is airing football instead? :eek:

that would be nice....i would love to see the government cut the cbc's budget from roughly 1 billion down to less then 100 million... Sorry i have my own ongoing battle with cbc since 1986....just sent them another letter of disapproval yesterday abouth this weekends game coming up.
what then could to in reality in have the TFC live on Bold when hockey runs late!! but thats too much of a headache for cbc i guess.

elvis
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
MLSE is taking a loss on broadcasting now to help grow the fanbase in the long-term, since our "national broadcaster" is unwilling to do it.

I don't want my tax dollars paying for professional sporting television rights anyway - let the private sector do it.

menefreghista
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
that would be nice....i would love to see the government cut the cbc's budget from roughly 1 billion down to less then 100 million... Sorry i have my own ongoing battle with cbc since 1986....just sent them another letter of disapproval yesterday abouth this weekends game coming up.
what then could to in reality in have the TFC live on Bold when hockey runs late!! but thats too much of a headache for cbc i guess.

This weekend's game is live on Bold, just in case the 1pm NHL game runs late.

TFC has essentially taken all the games from the Score and Bold and put them on Gol TV. I'm fairly happy with this change.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
This weekend's game is live on Bold, just in case the 1pm NHL game runs late.

TFC has essentially taken all the games from the Score and Bold and put them on Gol TV. I'm fairly happy with this change.

just checked Bold has some movie scheduled for that time...is this a recent change for TFC game?

menefreghista
04-29-2009, 10:49 AM
just checked Bold has some movie scheduled for that time...is this a recent change for TFC game?

Check the scrolling schedule on the right hand side of the CBC Sports wesite:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/

Maple Leaf Red
04-29-2009, 11:29 AM

Yeah, that's what I think a couple of us are trying to get at.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-29-2009, 11:38 AM
I don't want my tax dollars paying for professional sporting television rights anyway - let the private sector do it.

its already doing that......HNIC so thet should either spread the money around and cover most sports or get out the sports broadcasting business, the latter would save taxpayers money.

Maple Leaf Red
04-29-2009, 11:57 AM
its already doing that......HNIC so thet should either spread the money around and cover most sports or get out the sports broadcasting business, the latter would save taxpayers money.

If CBC loses HNiC then it'll cost more taxpayers' money. HNiC is a massive revenue producer for the CBC.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Have you ever watched Leafs TV or Raps TV?!?

Those channels are horrible.

Here's the difference BG, there is a healthy inventory of footy programming already on GolTV, supplied from the "mother" network. At least there's some variety built in. I can't speak for Leafs TV but I know some basketball nuts who love Raptors TV because of the variety…additional NBA games and league coverage…features…etc.

If I was running Gol, I'd look to do the same. "Rights sharing" with MLS by providing programming for them in exchange for rebroadcast game rights…stuff like that. MLS already have a small infastructure set up on the internet…why not flip that into cable?

nascarguy
04-29-2009, 11:23 PM
that Rohan Ricketts commercial was so bad