PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Subs - Harmse and Ricketts...

Bombonera
04-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Harmse is a walking liability who will forever be a second away from a red card, and that Ricketts is simply far too slow and unidimensional to be successful?

I for one am happy that mr. Carver has left the building. However, should we be concerned that some of his bad judgement re:player selection will live on?

Fort York Redcoat
04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Harmse- didn't agree
Ricketts- not my first choice. Maybe Ibby but that would've sped things up.

TheRenter
04-27-2009, 11:28 AM
stop yer bitchin:D...both can be good utility-type players; they were yest., no complaints

down with colownbus!

Oldtimer
04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Yes, you're the only one. :lol:

Parkdale
04-27-2009, 11:32 AM
agreed that Harmse does more harmse than good,
but I remember some of the great plays rickets pulled off last year,
and expect to see more of that quality this season.

MartinUtd
04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
At least Harmse came on as a midfielder and not our last line of defense.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Well, if Harmse is "forever a second away" then he'll never get the card, will he?

If it's a question of putting the game on ice, I trust Ricketts' footy IQ and ability more than Ibbe (for now).

As for Harmse, he showed some serious energy when he went in. Yes, he's a bit of a loose cannon, but I think he has improved in that department. If he's used selectively, I think he'll do well. There will be less for him to think about and he won't be tired. I get nervous when he starts (and I'm a Harmse fan).

Bombonera
04-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Good to know. However, Dero's return will be interesting in terms of the starting line upo, and I must say it sure would be nice to maximize the value of what has been described as a "deeper" squad. Having guys who were starters like Harmse and Ricketts is an example of that value. But should harmse really have ever started? Ricketts maybe last year. but that was opnly because betweeen injuries, internationals, and unproductive signings (robert) what choice did we have?

T-Bird
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Harmse is the worst

Nuvinho
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
I think once people have a mindset that they don't like a player, its very hard to change that. Right now, Ricketts/Harmse/Velez to a point are in that category.

I am seeing that now happen to Barrett as well. If he scores 2 goals next game, people will still complain about him missing a chance or something.

I also see it the other way too, players who are fan favourites are defended even if they have bad games.

Just support your team, and the players we have!!!

P.S. I used to hate on Velez all the time. I will admit, that maybe I was wrong, he has done a serviceable job so far.

T-Bird
04-27-2009, 11:42 AM
I think once people have a mindset that they don't like a player, its very hard to change that. Right now, Ricketts/Harmse/Velez to a point are in that category.

I am seeing that now happen to Barrett as well. If he scores 2 goals next game, people will still complain about him missing a chance or something.

I also see it the other way too, players who are fan favourites are defended even if they have bad games.

Just support your team, and the players we have!!!

P.S. I used to hate on Velez all the time. I will admit, that maybe I was wrong, he has done a serviceable job so far.

Good point but let's face it, there are some players that do more harm than good

Steve
04-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Nope, can't say I agree with the OP. Harmse is a DM. Subbing him on for Guevara was great in my mind. Cummins was trying to lock down the game, that seems like a good way to do it, no? Throw on a DM in front of two other DM, and choke their midfield completely out of the game.

Oh, I'm sorry, this was just an "I hate harmse" thread, please, continue.

Tintin
04-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Nope, can't say I agree with the OP. Harmse is a DM. Subbing him on for Guevara was great in my mind. Cummins was trying to lock down the game, that seems like a good way to do it, no? Throw on a DM in front of two other DM, and choke their midfield completely out of the game.

Oh, I'm sorry, this was just an "I hate harmse" thread, please, continue.

That's what I thought too when he came in but KC had their best chances in the last 10 minutes...Coincidence?

Dozitwin
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Bringing Harmse in made sense that late in the game, with a major playmaker like Guevara coming out, and no one of his quality on the bench, it makes sense to bring in another holding midfielder in to defend the lead a little.

As for Ricketts, who else would you have brought in? You still want to have some offence but also want someone who can provide a little bit of defence. Ibby is a good offensive spark but he has no size and just gets bowled over when trying to defend. An Johan Smith.......sure he has not offensive or defensive skills but at least he's really fast when he's running around being useless.

Dozitwin
04-27-2009, 12:03 PM
That's what I thought too when he came in but KC had their best chances in the last 10 minutes...Coincidence?

But the last ten minutes we also didn't have Guevara or Vitti holding the ball and creating the offensive chances. KC didn't have a lot of offensive chances for the majority of the game only because we were constantly pressing forward. Take 2 of the guys providing that offensive push and KC is naturally going to get more chances.

LucaGol
04-27-2009, 12:03 PM
I agreed with the Harmse sub, and expected it quite frankly.

Its funny how things can change ... when we're winning, we suddenly look like a very deep team, having Ricketts, Smith, Harmse, Attakora, and Ibby to choose from the bench. Granted those players are on the bench for a reason, but they certainly can provide the missing ingredient whatever the situation in the last 10-12 minutes.

Kevvv
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
At least Harmse didn't come in at the back; we're probably safer with him in mid, and maybe he's more comfortable there.

Stouffville_RPB
04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Who would you have brought in to defend a lead?

This was our bench

Substitutes

1 - Greg Sutton (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=sutton_g&playerId=sut616187&statType=current) (GK)
3 - Nana Attakora-Gyan (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=attakora-gyan_n&playerId=att045826&statType=current) 91+ http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/icons/arrow_up.gif
5 - Kevin Harmse (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=harmse_k&playerId=har431426&statType=current) 79 http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/icons/arrow_up.gif
7 - Fuad Ibrahim (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=ibrahim_f&playerId=ibr050576&statType=current)
10 - Rohan Ricketts (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=ricketts_r&playerId=ric362713&statType=current) 83 http://web.mlsnet.com/imgs/icons/arrow_up.gif
13 - Johann Smith (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=smith_j&playerId=smi630362&statType=current)
32 - Emmanuel Gomez (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t280&player=gomez_e&playerId=gom174981&statType=current)
Ibby and Smith are no better defensivly than Harmse or Ricketts. Have you seen Emmanuel Gomez? Would you want to put an 18 year old in that late in the game with that much pressure on him in his first appearance?

The right choices were made by Cummins.

Tintin
04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
But the last ten minutes we also didn't have Guevara or Vitti holding the ball and creating the offensive chances. KC didn't have a lot of offensive chances for the majority of the game only because we were constantly pressing forward. Take 2 of the guys providing that offensive push and KC is naturally going to get more chances.

That's exactly my point. They should have kept Guevara and Vitti because they were creating lots of prerssure. After they came out and Harmse and Ricketts came in, we were vulnarable.

Sometimes the best defense is offense...

sulfur
04-27-2009, 12:16 PM
In the last 2-3 games Velez has played with Serioux, I've been very impressed. We've not looked like giving anything up, except when Serioux makes a mistake!

Velez is leaps and bounds better than he was last year to my mind.

nimamalek
04-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I thought Harmse did well, Ricketts was jogging back at one point with his man wide open

Jack
04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Those two were logical subs to make. Guevara was done and we don't have a direct replacement, so bringing on Harmse to play defensively is alright.

As for Ricketts, he took Barrett's spot up front, so minimal damage to the defensive side late in the game and you hope Rickett's can put some pressure on and be a threat out there.

Seem like logical subs for our team considering the players we have available.

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't think there was anything wrong with the two subs. This should be Harmse's role from here one, and Ricketts I think will make a bigger impact then just playing 15 minutes per game, specially during international absences.

ensco
04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Those two were logical subs to make. Guevara was done and we don't have a direct replacement, so bringing on Harmse to play defensively is alright.

As for Ricketts, he took Barrett's spot up front, so minimal damage to the defensive side late in the game and you hope Rickett's can put some pressure on and be a threat out there.

Seem like logical subs for our team considering the players we have available.

Ricketts should be tried as Guevara's sub. Ricketts doesn't have the speed or strength to be a natural winger, but he does have some of Amado's game in him.

I don't know why everyone's written Jo Smith off. He should be coming on before Harmse does.

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, if Harmse is "forever a second away" then he'll never get the card, will he?

LMAO! ARGH! You and your logic!

It figures the resident lawyer caught this.

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Ricketts should be tried as Guevara's sub. Ricketts doesn't have the speed or strength to be a natural winger, but he does have some of Amado's game in him.

I don't know why everyone's written Jo Smith off. He should be coming on before Harmse does.

Putting on Jo Smith when we are winning 1-0 is suicide! Maybe if we are losing 1-0 I would consider that.

Jack
04-27-2009, 12:46 PM

Johan is a one-dimensional left-sided offensive player. How does he even come close to being a logical replacement for a central midfield player who plays box to box? Maybe late in a game where we're trailing if Guevara can't continue, but in a game where we're holding a lead...it makes no sense.

Fushida
04-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Should probably watch him carefully in the first 2 games after he came on. Little desire to win 50/50 balls, no support for anyone else on the team, just stands there most of the time. With the ball, he was one dimensional and clueless....

I thought the Harmse sub yesterday worked out decently... he actually won a header IIRC... which was a rarity. He still had that hoofing the ball when he didn't need to mentality, but I didn't expect any more than that honestly.

ensco
04-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Johan is a one-dimensional left-sided offensive player. How does he even come close to being a logical replacement for a central midfield player who plays box to box? Maybe late in a game where we're trailing if Guevara can't continue, but in a game where we're holding a lead...it makes no sense.

Should have been more clear. My comment was that I want Ricketts in for Guevara, and Smith or Ibbe in for Vitti/Dichio/Barrett.

Does anyone remember that large numbers of people on here were about to commit ritual seppuku when Smith was exposed in the expansion draft? He looked pretty good last year. This year, there's not enough playing time to know.

Also Jack, it's premature to call him "one-dimensional"

The Harmse sub worked out OK yesterday, but I believe it's just a matter of time until he costs us a game in that role.

Jack
04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Should have been more clear. My comment was that I want Ricketts in for Guevara, and Smith or Ibbe in for Vitti/Dichio/Barrett.

Does anyone remember that large numbers of people on here were about to commit ritual seppuku when Smith was exposed in the expansion draft? He looked pretty good last year. This year, there's not enough playing time to know.

Also Jack, it's premature to call him "one-dimensional"

The Harmse sub worked out OK yesterday, but I believe it's just a matter of time until he costs us in game in that role.
I haven't really been impressed by Smith. I haven't seen much from him. He's got wheels and a move or two. Maybe there's more there, but it's not been on display :noidea:

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-27-2009, 02:12 PM
LMAO! ARGH! You and your logic!

It figures the resident lawyer caught this.

I know, I know. It's a fucking curse being this annoying, and I truly can't help myself. It's all I can do on game days to drink myself to the point of near-speechlessness so that my sectionmates don't lynch me.

I'll go you one better: I give lawyers a bad name. When lawyers get together, they say "First thing -- we kill all the lawyers named Vox."

Que sera sera. A leopard can't change his spots and all that.

BTW, congratulations: your ancestral homeland STILL has the best looking president in the world. :hump: (there I go again...)

Yours Truly,

Vox,
President and Sole Member of the Kevin Harmse Fan Club

Fushida
04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
I haven't really been impressed by Smith. I haven't seen much from him. He's got wheels and a move or two. Maybe there's more there, but it's not been on display :noidea:

You can have all the moves in the world but a lack of tactical awareness is what Smith is mostly lacking. Awareness of the game is what sets crap players from the good players. That and a little work rate is what Smith is lacking... or at least what is apparent from the few minutes he got in the first few games.

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 02:58 PM
I know, I know. It's a fucking curse being this annoying, and I truly can't help myself. It's all I can do on game days to drink myself to the point of near-speechlessness so that my sectionmates don't lynch me.

I'll go you one better: I give lawyers a bad name. When lawyers get together, they say "First thing -- we kill all the lawyers named Vox."

Que sera sera. A leopard can't change his spots and all that.

BTW, congratulations: your ancestral homeland STILL has the best looking president in the world. :hump: (there I go again...)

Yours Truly,

Vox,
President and Sole Member of the Kevin Harmse Fan Club

Ok that must be Argentina you speak of. Had no idea you were from Argentina Roogsy. What a horrendous thing to have to support the best player and possibly the best team in the world :). No wonder you sleep well at night when TFC loses, hahaha. Just kidding man.

Bombonera
04-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Re:Tactical awareness - Are we seriously arguing that Harmse and his red cards and/or Ricketts and his strolls back from the offensive zone are representaitive of this?

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Ok that must be Argentina you speak of. Had no idea you were from Argentina Roogsy. What a horrendous thing to have to support the best player and possibly the best team in the world :). No wonder you sleep well at night when TFC loses, hahaha. Just kidding man.

Argentina is so passe. Ecuador is the land of the Roogsy clan.

Cristina Kirchner may be somewhat milfy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Cristina_Fernandez_Comandante_en_Jefe.jpg/800px-Cristina_Fernandez_Comandante_en_Jefe.jpg

But even confirmed heterosexualists must agree that Rafael Correa is hotter

http://jrolofer.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/rafael_correa.jpg

Perhaps I've said too much.:noidea:

Big Bruva
04-27-2009, 03:59 PM

Coz they don't see him play lol there is a lot more to Football than what fans see. Smithy should not be written off.

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Coz they don't see him play lol there is a lot more to Football than what fans see. Smithy should not be written off.

No one is writing him off, but would you put him in to help preseve a lead? I'd like to see him on the field, when we are in need of a goal.

Ratven
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I actually thought Harmse played quite well in midfield... seems that without the added pressure of being the last line, he actually looks up and can pass the ball instead of booting it mindlessly upfield.

Fushida
04-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Re:Tactical awareness - Are we seriously arguing that Harmse and his red cards and/or Ricketts and his strolls back from the offensive zone are representaitive of this?

Never said what you just claimed. But I think both are ahead of the line with respect to Jo Smith and his limited cameos this year... that's for sure.

Re: Ricketts strolling back from the offensive zone... why not rag on Guevara, Robbo (at times when he gets wrong footed and stands there dazed for a moment, he's not the fastest at geting back), DeRo, Barrett (yes, it happened yesterday), Vitti, and Dichio? They're all offensive players with the exception of Robbo, much like Ricketts.. Rohan's gonna get another shot the second someone starts dropping in form... its just hard to change a good thing right now. I don't think I can say the same for Jo Smith, who needed Jimmy to shout at him to make a run (and I thought I heard that from the opposite side of the stadium).