PDA

View Full Version : Refs: Stop yer bitching

Pookie
04-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Face it. We like to complain about the Refs... pretty much on every call that goes against us. Even the ones that should have gone against us ;)

Looks like things have evened out.

I got home from the game last night to watch some of the replays that I had PVR'd. Of course, it is not to be rebroadcast in whole or in part without express written consent of Major League Soccer.

It's clear that the ball struck Valez's hand in the box in the dying seconds of yesterday's game.

Over the course of a season, things generally even out. In this case, we likely got an extra 2 points as a result of a missed call.

jabbronies
04-27-2009, 07:09 AM
The refs let alot of things go yesterday and the game before for both teams.

Mark in Ottawa
04-27-2009, 07:41 AM
As a former Hockey referee I can sympathize to some extent with all on and off field officials. All I can hope is that the referee can be consistent and predictable in the way he will call a game. This will lessen the frustration level all around.

The next step is to work on the consistency between different referees so that what is a foul in one game will be a foul in the next.

Yohan
04-27-2009, 07:47 AM
The next step is to work on the consistency between different referees so that what is a foul in one game will be a foul in the next.
i dont think you'll get something like that, even among top refs in the world

all we ask for is individual consistency, so that the players can read how the ref will call the game (is he strict or more lenient?) and go from there

Fort York Redcoat
04-27-2009, 07:49 AM
i dont think you'll get something like that, even among top refs in the world

all we ask for is individual consistency, so that the players can read how the ref will call the game (is he strict or more lenient?) and go from there

bam. Consistency we demand. Perfection would be nice.

ACSertL
04-27-2009, 07:53 AM
To be fair, I thought the officiating was rather good in last night's game, apart from perhaps one incorrect offside call on Vitti (not the one where he put the ball into the net). The referee consistently allowed the game to play on and wasn't heavy handed with the cards; especially because Serioux saw nothing for the foul on the KC player on the left wing in the first half.

Yohan
04-27-2009, 07:56 AM
To be fair, I thought the officiating was rather good in last night's game, apart from perhaps one incorrect offside call on Vitti (not the one where he put the ball into the net). The referee consistently allowed the game to play on and wasn't heavy handed with the cards; especially because Serioux saw nothing for the foul on the KC player on the left wing in the first half.
considering how many shitty refs we've seen, I think I agree. he wasn't bad by MLS standards

Mango Kid
04-27-2009, 07:57 AM
The officiating is always good when we win. :)

Fort York Redcoat
04-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Agreed. It was refreshing to see.

chileno
04-27-2009, 08:04 AM
The refing in the league isn't bad but also at times some calls are blown. However if you look at leagues all over the world, the refing isn't always on point. It's the human error factor that comes into play. The players don't need to show up the ref each time their is a questionable call. Just put your head down and move on and fight for the ball on the next play.

Steve
04-27-2009, 08:04 AM
The officiating is always good when we win. :)

True, a little trick of the human memory :). We remember all of the bad calls that went against us when we lose (what "could have been") but downplay them when we win.

pubboy
04-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Face it. We like to complain about the Refs... pretty much on every call that goes against us. Even the ones that should have gone against us ;)

Looks like things have evened out.

I got home from the game last night to watch some of the replays that I had PVR'd. Of course, it is not to be rebroadcast in whole or in part without express written consent of Major League Soccer.

It's clear that the ball struck Valez's hand in the box in the dying seconds of yesterday's game.

Over the course of a season, things generally even out. In this case, we likely got an extra 2 points as a result of a missed call.

I didnt think there was a deliberate handball, so not sure what you are on about. Overall, considering the general standard of refs in this league, then yesterday's wasnt bad.

Mango Kid
04-27-2009, 08:07 AM
True, a little trick of the human memory :). We remember all of the bad calls that went against us when we lose (what "could have been") but downplay them when we win.

Couldn't agree more, Steve.

That, and a few tend to only see things one way. Velez could bring out a chainsaw and take out a guys legs and some would say it wasn't a foul but if one of our boys trips over their feet with nobody around, our guy must've been fouled (I'm remembering Andy Welsh right now). There's loyalty, but come on...

S_D
04-27-2009, 08:36 AM
I didnt think there was a deliberate handball, so not sure what you are on about. Overall, considering the general standard of refs in this league, then yesterday's wasnt bad.

Yeah Velez's hands were down at his sides and the ball bounced up from behind him and it looked like it hit his fist. I thought as well he was looking at the player he was marking, not the ball so I don't think he even saw it.

But I am sure it was in the back of K.C.'s minds that we got one called against us last game so why not complain and try and win a PK. At least the ref didn't fall for it.

Parkdale
04-27-2009, 08:43 AM
y. Velez could bring out a chainsaw and take out a guys legs and some would say it wasn't a foul...

maybe if we were playing Calvinball

http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/Calvinball_small.jpg

ACSertL
04-27-2009, 09:02 AM

:lol:!

The score is Oogy to Boogy

Yohan
04-27-2009, 09:15 AM

you mean, the MLS refs dont play Calvinball?

you just ruined my explanation for all things MLS :D

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 09:18 AM

I miss Calvin and Hobbes. Probably my favourite comic ever. I think I have read every single one.

2freedom
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
The ref's weren't bad yesterday, there were a few missed calls both ways, BUT they were fairly consistant! That's what we can hope and ask for! Heck we won too!!

JonO
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM
^^^ Exactly. Nobody is going to get everything right all the time. Consistancy is what I am looking for from the refs...

And no - getting the wrong call all the time is NOT the consistancy I am looking for ;)

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I didn't think the refs were bad yesterday.

Kevvv
04-27-2009, 10:59 AM

I miss Calvin and Hobbes. Probably my favourite comic ever. I think I have read every single one.

You guys are OLD.

(Bloom County was where it's at.)