PDA

View Full Version : What happens to Sutton now??

Nodoubtguy
04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Do you think the team will try to move him??
Frei has been impressive so far, so is it worth keeping Sutton as an expensive back-up?

Oblio2
04-26-2009, 09:10 PM
We wont get anything in a trade....but it's worth shopping him. Edwards as back-up

Shakes McQueen
04-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes, I still think Sutts is worth hanging on to for now. The real question is, what is Edwards doing?

- Scott

InTheCrowd
04-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Get rid of Sutton and sign a decent back up with a lower salary. The money we save should be used on a future acquisition. We don't need such an expensive guy sitting on the bench.

Shway
04-26-2009, 09:12 PM
helping grab balls in practice it seems

TFC_Chris
04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Was it just me or was Edwards not in the pregame warm-up today?
Usually it's all three getting prepped for the game, but today I only saw Sutts and Frei.
Where there's smoke...

Pachuco
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Get rid of Sutton and sign a decent back up with a lower salary. The money we save should be used on a future acquisition. We don't need such an expensive guy sitting on the bench.

Isn't Edwards a decent backup with a lower salary?

Shakes McQueen
Unless a good trade proposal comes up for him, I don't see the sense in moving him. He did well for us, when Frei got injured. Getting rid of Edwards doesn't get us as much cap space back, but it frees up an important international spot on our roster.

Do we even know how much cap space the team actually has left right now? Do we know if freeing up Sutton's salary would even be of use to us?

- Scott

TFC RealDeal RPB
Yes, I still think Sutts is worth hanging on to for now. The real question is, what is Edwards doing?

- Scott
Bye Bye

InTheCrowd
04-26-2009, 09:15 PM

Well I considered that to. I know there are varied opinions on this but I personally don't trust Edwards as a back up. I also think it's important to have a third string keeper. That's why I suggested the idea.

Beach_Red
04-26-2009, 09:16 PM
The question might be, how long will Frei stay in MLS?

Pachuco
04-26-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm now convinced this team can do with two young keepers. Before I saw Frei I wasn't sure, but fuck is he ever good. The chances of him getting hurt are slim since he's a goalie, also we won't lose him this year to international duty (AFAIK). With Sutton's salary, we could have ourselves some pretty decent added depth in another position.

TFC_Chris
04-26-2009, 09:17 PM
If anything happens, it will happen after the Gold Cup. Sutts will probably be called up to Canada, so we will need Edwards as a backup during that time.

Shakes McQueen
04-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm now convinced this team can do with two young keepers. Before I saw Frei I wasn't sure, but fuck is he ever good. The chances of him getting hurt are slim since he's a goalie, also we won't lose him this year to international duty (AFAIK). With Sutton's salary, we could have ourselves some pretty decent added depth in another position.

I think using an international player slot on a backup GK is a mistake.

Keeping Edwards might make more sense, if we didn't have the wonky rules surrounding how many international players we can have. We also don't know how much cap space we have left, and therefore, if freeing up Sutton's salary gives us any cap flexibility we didn't already have.

- Scott

InTheCrowd
04-26-2009, 09:20 PM

I see where you're coming from. So how about just selling Sutton and Edwards while bringing in a decent Canadian keeper. That way we gain another international roster spot and save money by getting rid of Sutton and his big paycheck. Then once Frei moves to Europe we use that money on a solid keeper and use the rest of the money on whatever we'll need it for at the time.

J .
04-26-2009, 09:31 PM
I would hang on to Sutts and try to shop Edwards. Find a young Canadian GK if possible to replace Frei when Frei heads overseas.

Roogsy
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I would hang on to Sutts and try to shop Edwards. Find a young Canadian GK if possible to replace Frei when Frei heads overseas.

Exactly.

I would rather have Sutton stay on than Edwards. Edwards could get traded for draft picks.

That being said...Frei is good enough that we could be talking about someone who could be sold to Europe at some point. Then we are back to looking for keepers? No thanks. Sutts belongs here in my opinion.

Jack
04-26-2009, 09:43 PM
That said, he's already missed time due to injury this season. Maybe you could say that was the bad luck, but you never know. He's so acrobatic at times that he might expose himself to a bit more injury risk than a less athletic keeper.

InTheCrowd
04-26-2009, 09:43 PM
The problem is we don't know how much longer Frei will be here. Do you really want such an expensive back up?

As for the young Canadian back up. I want Asmir Begovic. :canada:

Phil
04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
I cant see anything being done until the Gold Cup is sorted.

Most likely Sutton will be asked and previous experience has taught us that having an extra keeper through that competition is a good thing.

Edit: Apologies for not catching TFC_Chris statement. :D

devioustrevor
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
If anything happens, it will happen after the Gold Cup. Sutts will probably be called up to Canada, so we will need Edwards as a backup during that time.

I've been saying this since we drafted Frei.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Sutton will stay and remain on thebench, i gotta say that Frei has been more than impressive and deserves first 11

TFC_Chris
04-26-2009, 10:09 PM
I've been saying this since we drafted Frei.

It's because we've experienced having to use the MLS Pool Keepers before. I don't remember that working out too well.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-26-2009, 10:12 PM
i said Frei would be our No 1 Keeper after the first two games of the season and wasn;t taken too serious....but its nice to see fans are finally seeing what a did...

a good Keeper....Sutton..? he needs playing time...this is where the mLS screwed up big time in getting rid of the reserve league..he and edwrads could have been taking turns in that...come on MLS Bring back the reserve league and increase the roster
to make it work.

felipe
04-26-2009, 10:16 PM
There won't be any movement until we need the cap room and roster spot; I see nothing wrong with carrying three good keepers until then; competition is always good.

But I can't see Sutts being happy as a permament backup at this stage of his career; but the way Frei has been playing, Mo might be flipping him to Scotland by the end of our MLS season.

So we could very well need to hang onto all 3 for this year.

Dub Narcotic
04-26-2009, 10:19 PM
The bigger issue is getting Sutton's cap number down in the off-season. No way he comes back @ $150,000. Same with Ricketts, BTW.

InTheCrowd
04-26-2009, 10:20 PM
The bigger issue is getting Sutton's cap number down in the off-season. No way he comes back @ $150,000. Same with Ricketts, BTW.

Forget it, just trade them!

Cashcleaner
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Hmmmm...

Frei is doing fantastic and definitely earning his wage. Sutton is getting paid a lot but not really getting a lot of playing time. In a recent interview I recall Sutton saying that he feels he's got a few more years left in him between the posts so maybe if he's wanting to play more minutes perhaps he'll ask for a transfer himself.

It's all down to dollars and cents with regards to goalkeeping...

Shakes McQueen
04-26-2009, 10:25 PM

If Ricketts doesn't a) earn himself a regular starting role, and b) impress in those starts, I don't foresee him being here past this season.

I like the guy, but that's just the reality. You can't pay a premium price for subs in this league.

- Scott

Inklink
04-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Was it just me or was Edwards not in the pregame warm-up today?
Usually it's all three getting prepped for the game, but today I only saw Sutts and Frei.
Where there's smoke...

...there's Chris smoking? :D

TFC_Chris
04-26-2009, 11:54 PM
...there's Chris smoking? :D

Touche.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-27-2009, 02:02 AM
If Ricketts doesn't a) earn himself a regular starting role, and b) impress in those starts, I don't foresee him being here past this season.

I like the guy, but that's just the reality. You can't pay a premium price for subs in this league.

- Scott

Ive been kinda feeling this way lately too.
I mean hes still got a whole season to prove himself and im certain hes going to want to do so (im also looking forward to him proving himself)

Jeffro
04-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Ricketts could have some good value in the summer transfer window, I think there's a few teams that would take a shot with him. This could open up the cap space to sign a cb.
Although I would like to see Ricketts come around for us and stay here, I'm a bit mixed on him.

Calvin
04-27-2009, 02:57 AM

nah. i wouldnt say hes good enough.

Calvin
04-27-2009, 03:20 AM
In case you havent memorized the TFC salaries:

TFC Attakora-Gyan Nana D 34,000.00$ 34,000.00$
TFC Barrett Chad F 195,000.00$ 202,500.00$
TFC Brennan Jim D 185,000.00$ 193,250.00$
TFC Cronin Sam M 36,000.00$ 84,000.00$
TFC DeRosario Dwayne M 357,000.00$ 425,750.00$
TFC Dichio Daniel F 120,000.00$ 120,000.00$
TFC Edwards Brian GK 39,600.00$ 48,350.00$
TFC Frei Stefan GK 65,000.00$ 120,000.00$
TFC Gala Gabe D 34,000.00$ 34,000.00$
TFC Gomez Emmanuel D 20,100.00$ 25,850.00$
TFC Guevara Amado M 300,000.00$ 323,750.00$
TFC Harmse Kevin M 79,200.00$ 79,200.00$
TFC Ibrahim Fuad F 75,000.00$ 108,000.00$
TFC Ricketts Rohan M 165,000.00$ 165,000.00$
TFC Robinson Carl M 300,000.00$ 315,000.00$
TFC Sayang Amadou D 34,008.00$ 40,563.55$
TFC Serioux Adrian D 119,070.00$ 131,570.00$
TFC Smith Johann F 45,000.00$ 56,666.67$
TFC Sutton Greg GK 157,500.00$ 165,062.50$
TFC Velez Marco D 63,000.00$ 63,500.00$
TFC Vitti Pablo F 288,000.00$ 303,000.00$
TFC White O'Brian F 36,000.00$ 113,000.00$
TFC Wynne Marvell D 57,000.00$ 159,500.00$

Shakes McQueen
04-27-2009, 04:12 AM
Unfortunately because of allocation wonkiness, we really don't know how much actual cap space that leaves us with.

- Scott

denime
04-27-2009, 05:55 AM
The problem is we don't know how much longer Frei will be here. Do you really want such an expensive back up?

As for the young Canadian back up. I want Asmir Begovic. :canada:

I don't care how expensive back up is,I'm not paying him.
To shop Sutton will not work since he is not Domestic player for other MLS teams.What team will use International spot for back up goalie?

As far young Canadian back up I. want Asmir Begovic too.:canada:

Pookie
04-27-2009, 07:07 AM
The question might be, how long will Frei stay in MLS?

But isn't that the same question of every good young player in this league?

Mikey
04-27-2009, 07:15 AM
LOL!
Am I glad none of you guys have Mo's job!! ;)

This is the first season we haven't had any major goal keeper injuries SO FAR.

Hey we're six games in, let's sell off one of our keepers and replace him with a low budget kid......:drinking::drinking::drinking:

Yohan
04-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Hey we're six games in, let's sell off one of our keepers and replace him with a low budget kid......:drinking::drinking::drinking:
are you calling Edwards a low budget kid? ;)

Face it lads. If Frei keeps this up, major teams in Europe will notice.

AND the fact that he has (or can get) Swiss passport means easier for European teams to sign him. I think he's gone in 2 yrs max

Nuvinho
04-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Frei maybe in the same time frame to leave as Mo Edu did.

MoJo, please don't pickup any calls from Rangers for the next 2 years.

Fort York Redcoat
04-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Yikes didn't know about the Swiss passport. Enjoy him while we can. We might be back to Sutton/Edwards by end of year.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Frei's good but i dont think youre gonna see any euro teams calling for him yet. Give him 2 or more years here and then itll happen.

Steve
04-27-2009, 08:24 AM
If you want to unload a keeper, dump Edwards. Sorry, but he is a kid with some potential and an American, which means we can get something for him.

Why not dump Sutton? Because he's a vet. What happens if the pressure starts getting to Frei? What happens if he's injured in a playoff game (or a game that will get us into the playoffs if we win)? Are you more confident with Sutton coming in (like he did in Columbus) and handling it like a pro, or Edwards? From what I saw of Edwards last year, he's a talented keeper, but I don't see him having a veteran mindset yet. He could collapse at the wrong time.

And yes, I'm also glad this team isn't run by vote on these boards.

Mikey
04-27-2009, 08:34 AM
are you calling Edwards a low budget kid? ;)

Face it lads. If Frei keeps this up, major teams in Europe will notice.

AND the fact that he has (or can get) Swiss passport means easier for European teams to sign him. I think he's gone in 2 yrs max

Oh wait, let Sutts go and not replace him at all? just have Frei and Edwards...?

Yohan
04-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Oh wait, let Sutts go and not replace him at all? just have Frei and Edwards...?
So Sutton gets traded, Frei get sold and TFC is left with Edwards down the road?

jabbronies
04-27-2009, 09:20 AM
get rid of edwards, you'll get more back for him than you would sutton.

jabbronies
04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
If you want to unload a keeper, dump Edwards. Sorry, but he is a kid with some potential and an American, which means we can get something for him.

Why not dump Sutton? Because he's a vet. What happens if the pressure starts getting to Frei? What happens if he's injured in a playoff game (or a game that will get us into the playoffs if we win)? Are you more confident with Sutton coming in (like he did in Columbus) and handling it like a pro, or Edwards? From what I saw of Edwards last year, he's a talented keeper, but I don't see him having a veteran mindset yet. He could collapse at the wrong time.

And yes, I'm also glad this team isn't run by vote on these boards.

I agree with this

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 09:31 AM
So Sutton gets traded, Frei get sold and TFC is left with Edwards down the road?

I really don't think that you can look at Sutton to stay on the bench through this time. Realistically, Frei isn't leaving until 2011 if you ask me. Best case scenario for him would be mid-way 2010. Sutton can't possibly be happy staying here on the bench for that long. In fact, if Sutton doesn't play this year again don't you think he'll be looking to make a move for 2010? like maybe with Vancouver or something? I don't think you can have backups in this league who make as much money as he does. Same with Ricketts. Guys at that salary should be starting, if they are not, we can't afford to pay that much for depth.Put it this way, Sutton's salary gets us another Adrian Serioux, who wouldn't take that right now over Sutton being on the bench? I know it's a bit short sighted, but Sutton isn't a goalie I would invenst in the future either. Edwards in my opinion could have many solid years in the MLS if Frei happens to leave.Having said that, if we don't need the salary, keep him. I'm only saying in the case where we need cap money to bring in a CB or another striker. Also, if we can somehow package Edwards and Velez (or picks) for a proven CB then I'm game for that as well.At the end of the day, it's all about what Mo is getting offered for Edwards. If we are unloading him for something that will strenghten the team then that's all good. But if we are unloading him for nothing, then we may as well just release Sutton and take advantage of his salary.

Gazza_55
04-27-2009, 09:32 AM

If the cap in the new CBA is around $5 million next year then $150k for a veteran back-up keeper is fine. Ricketts won't be back regardless - I don't think he just can't play in this league anymore. We have young guys (Vitti, Cronin, Frei and maybe O'Brien White) who are coming on and will get raises in the next few years that will squeeze Rickettts, J. Smith etc out.

Roogsy
04-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Sutton has made career moves with his family in mind Pachuco. He may not be happy as a backup but with a wife and a new baby at home, I doubt moving to Vancouver is a real option unless they offer buckets of money.

Mikey
04-27-2009, 09:34 AM

exactly... see my previous post on this madness:

LOL!
Am I glad none of you guys have Mo's job!! ;)

This is the first season we haven't had any major goal keeper injuries SO FAR.

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 09:35 AM
If the cap in the new CBA is around $5 million next year then $150k for a veteran back-up keeper is fine. Ricketts won't be back regardless - I don't think he just can't play in this league anymore. We have young guys (Vitti, Cronin, Frei and maybe O'Brien White) who are coming on and will get raises in the next few years that will squeeze Rickettts, J. Smith etc out.

Again though, do you see Sutton staying next year if Frei is still around and if there's no hint of him leaving to Europe? I think he'll leave us whether we want to pay him that kind of money or not. But you make a good point, the salary may be less of a concern if the cap goes up to $5 Mill. Just remember one thing, we are in the middle of a recession, this could have an impact on that decision.

jabbronies
04-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Having Sutton stay on is not a bad thing. Remember, TFC success = more games to played.

There could be weeks were we play 2-3 games per week for 3 weeks straight! With the league, CC, Superliga. being able to confidently rest your starting keeper and have your backup play is a good thing to have.

Yohan
04-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Having Sutton stay on is not a bad thing. Remember, TFC success = more games to played.

There could be weeks were we play 2-3 games per week for 3 weeks straight! With the league, CC, Superliga. being able to confidently rest your starting keeper and have your backup play is a good thing to have.
GK isn't exactly the most physically demanding position...

jabbronies
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
GK isn't exactly the most physically demanding position...

So you are saying that GK's don't need a break every now and then??

Yohan
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
I really don't think that you can look at Sutton to stay on the bench through this time. Realistically, Frei isn't leaving until 2011 if you ask me. Best case scenario for him would be mid-way 2010.
If Frei shows good enough to play backup in an European team, do you think some European team is not willing to shell out some cash for potential Frei brings, esp since his Swiss citizenship makes it easy to sign him?

Yanks are known to produce decent keepers. I'll bet some European scouts are looking at Frei even right now

Yohan
04-27-2009, 09:50 AM
So you are saying that GK's don't need a break every now and then??
no. not really.
you have keepers playing every game in EPL, incl CL.

if you're a competitor, would you not want to play every game, esp if you are physically fit for every game?

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 10:17 AM
If Frei shows good enough to play backup in an European team, do you think some European team is not willing to shell out some cash for potential Frei brings, esp since his Swiss citizenship makes it easy to sign him?

Yanks are known to produce decent keepers. I'll bet some European scouts are looking at Frei even right now

Refer to last comment. Look Edu was being looked at since he got here as well, so was Brad Guzan who would be a better comparison since he's a goalie. They both took some time to get to Europe. You most likely won't see Frei leave until mid-way or end of 2010. I don't see Sutton sitting on a bench until the 2011 season. Specially when we don't have a reserve league.

Anyone know how long Frei's contract is? don't forget, we can hold him back if we need to until we get a goalie if he's under contract.

rocker
04-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Anyone know how long Frei's contract is? don't forget, we can hold him back if we need to until we get a goalie if he's under contract.

most are 4 years.... particularly drafted players, where 4 years is the norm.

So we have Frei for at least 4 years at our choice.
If Frei leaves before the 2013 season it will be up to TFC.

Another thing to remember is MLS has turned down offers for guys like Cooper. So unless the offer is very good, Frei ain't goin nowhere.

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 10:31 AM
most are 4 years.... particularly drafted players, where 4 years is the norm.

So we have Frei for at least 4 years at our choice.
If Frei leaves before the 2013 season it will be up to TFC.

Another thing to remember is MLS has turned down offers for guys like Cooper. So unless the offer is very good, Frei ain't goin nowhere.

I'm in complete agreement. TFC calls the shots here. They won't stab themselves in the foot by selling Frei if they don't have someone to back him up that they feel confident in. So no reason to dwell over the possibility of Frei leaving. We need to worry about today, and making the playoffs this year.

Also, the U.S seems to produce very good goalies, for all we know we draft another Frei next year.

Jack
04-27-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm in complete agreement. TFC calls the shots here. They won't stab themselves in the foot by selling Frei if they don't have someone to back him up that they feel confident in. So no reason to dwell over the possibility of Frei leaving. We need to worry about today, and making the playoffs this year.

Also, the U.S seems to produce very good goalies, for all we know we draft another Frei next year.
This is very true.

Let's stop worrying about "What ifs?" and start worrying about how to stay TOP OF THE EAST! :D

Yohan
04-27-2009, 10:35 AM
no, TFC DOES NOT CALL THE SHOTS!

it's the league. MLS owns all players. hell, MLS can force trades on teams if it wants too

some European team offers 3-4 million bucks for Frei and you dont think the league will be tempted to sell?

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 10:45 AM
no, TFC DOES NOT CALL THE SHOTS!

it's the league. MLS owns all players. hell, MLS can force trades on teams if it wants too

some European team offers 3-4 million bucks for Frei and you dont think the league will be tempted to sell?

I don't know of a single case where the league has forced the team to sell a player. I do know of quite a few though where the league has blocked a trade. We are assuming way to many things here, Frei doesn't even have an offer on the table. Unfortunately with the way the cap works in the MLS, we can't worry keeping expensive depth just because a potential player may someday leave to Europe. Anyways, we are going in circles. It will be interesting to see how the three goal keeper situation plays out nonetheless.

Oldtimer
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
It's called depth.

We have enough allocation to sign a CB, so there is no problem with carrying 3 decent GK, only plusses.

InTheCrowd
04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
We have a horrible choice in backups. One is much overpaid to be sitting on the bench, and the other is taking up an international spot in the squad.What we need is two guys with under 100k salaries who are both Canadian.

Shakes McQueen
04-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't know of a single case where the league has forced the team to sell a player. I do know of quite a few though where the league has blocked a trade. We are assuming way to many things here, Frei doesn't even have an offer on the table. Unfortunately with the way the cap works in the MLS, we can't worry keeping expensive depth just because a potential player may someday leave to Europe. Anyways, we are going in circles. It will be interesting to see how the three goal keeper situation plays out nonetheless.

Yep. Kenny Cooper was a good example last season - a few European clubs tried to get him, and Dallas refused to sell, so he didn't go anywhere.

- Scott

Yohan
04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Yep. Kenny Cooper was a good example last season - a few European clubs tried to get him, and Dallas refused to sell, so he didn't go anywhere.

- Scott
I thought it was more case of didnt get offered enough money? Or was that Twellman...

Derko
04-27-2009, 08:48 PM
We wont get anything in a trade....but it's worth shopping him. Edwards as back-up

Goalkeepers are always better through years of experience.
That kind of experience TFC cannot afford to just trade away, because of Cap Space or salary. Will you people please shake your heads and wake up!!!

Lucky Strike
04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
If I'm Mo, my ideal scenario is to keep all three while trying to get Sutton to re-sign at a lower salary. Of course, it's all been mentioned before that it would be difficult for him to accept this.

But where else is he going to go? The rest of MLS is likely much out because they have fewer international slots to play with and he's relatively expensive for a backup. Overseas is not feasible, not at his age and particularly with a new child. The only meaningul football he could get would be Montreal and Vancouver. And even then, there's no guarantee they'll have a place for him. His options are limited for sure.

colman1860
04-27-2009, 09:38 PM
i said Frei would be our No 1 Keeper after the first two games of the season and wasn;t taken too serious....but its nice to see fans are finally seeing what a did...

Pfft weak...I said this in my season preview :D

http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/season-preview-goalkeeping.html

Cashcleaner
04-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Enough guys! I don't want to hear anymore talk of Frei leaving Toronto FC!

LALALALALALALALA!!!