PDA

View Full Version : How About Marco Velez?

Shakes McQueen
04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Never thought I'd be saying this, but Marco has looked pretty good the last couple of games. The odd lapse mentally, but not half as bad in that department, as he was last season.

So props to you, Velez. You've clearly been working this winter.

- Scott

Pachuco
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
He had a great game tonight. Actually, he even bailed out Serioux on a couple of occasions. Since he's been in the lineup, we havent allowed a goal. I'm starting to think he can actually be a decent CB. We'll see though, we only have two games so far to judge him, and both were at home.

LucaGol
04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Marco Velez was a beast today.

Scary good.

Comfortable and strong in the air, in tackles and calm with the ball at his foot.

Very classy game.

I hope this is the new and improved Marco Velez for now and the future.

rocker
04-26-2009, 08:04 PM
he hasn't been tested quite as much as he was last year... that's probably why he looks better. Marshall looks better in Seattle for the same reason.

bhoybobby
04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
He still has those scary mental lapses, If he can stay focused for the full 90 & stay away from the heart attack stuff then maybe there's a good partnership to be had with Serioux.

He's way to in your face with the refs though, he's gotta leave that alone, or he'll get carded.

InTheCrowd
04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
He has been very solid. Right now I have to say that I can trust him. Along with Serioux, Wynne and Brennan I've got to say it sounds like a solid back line. Hopefully we can keep up the good results.

Pachuco
04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
he hasn't been tested quite as much as he was last year... that's probably why he looks better. Marshall looks better in Seattle for the same reason.

He was definately tested today man. Maybe not last game. But he held his own today, in fact, was busier then Serioux today.

London
04-26-2009, 08:09 PM
marco made some big time stops today!!!

he is taking advantage of his playing time for sure!!

rocker
04-26-2009, 08:11 PM
He was definately tested today man. Maybe not last game. But he held his own today, in fact, was busier then Serioux today.

I really didn't think he was tested that much today. But I mean that last year he was often let out to dry on many occasions, or he was put into situations where he was stretched.. and he would have a breakdown.

he's not in those situations in the past 2 games.

billyfly
04-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Liked what I saw of Mr. Velez today.

Fushida
04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
he was great today... had his lack of speed exposed a few times, but he looked quite comfortable at the back. had some pretty key interceptions and kept his cool.

TFC RealDeal RPB
04-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I Like Velez & Serioux over Serioux & Harmse . for me Serioux make's Velez play better and they just look good togethere.

trane
04-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Velez has looked good. As I posted after the last game, I think the two DM's take aways the pressure for him, he has time to make better decision. Still took Dichio and the DM to clear some of those balls out. But they defended as a team as they should.

ExiledRed
04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm definitely more comfortable with him back there alongside Serioux.

Shway
04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
I TOLD EVERYONE MARCO VELEZ WILL BE SOLID
just give him time, and games

Harmse should never see the pitch over Velez, im sorry

Keyman
04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Velez has toned it down a bit the past couple of starts, and it's worked wonders for him. Before, Velez played a take-no-prisoners, gung-go style of game, and it times he was solid. However, that style but him in the ass, and he was often caught pinching far too much or going in for stupidly aggressive tackles. Now, everything seems much more calculated and reserved. Velez deserves to keep starting based on his recent performances.

Fushida
04-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Did anyone else see his shouting match with Barrett near the end of the 2nd half just before Barrett cramped up? It was right after Barrett stepped aside for their RB or CB to pass.... Velez looked pretty pissed at being exposed and started shouting. Barrett shouted back and the guys were at it for a good 20 seconds or so. :eek:

Darlofletch
04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah, Velez had a great game today. Outplayed Serioux who had probably his worst game for us today and looked like he was struggling with an injury.

Jack
04-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Did anyone else see his shouting match with Barrett near the end of the 2nd half just before Barrett cramped up? It was right after Barrett stepped aside for their RB or CB to pass.... Velez looked pretty pissed at being exposed and started shouting. Barrett shouted back and the guys were at it for a good 20 seconds or so. :eek:
Nothing wrong with that. Two intense guys going at it. I'd be more worried if they just let it slide.

Anyway, Velez has certainly been solid. I think both he and Serioux are benefitting from having two defensive mids in front of them to take some of the pressure off.

That said, Marco has done a good job with the opportunity he's been given.

Roogsy
04-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Velez needs to continue starting. If they put Harmse out there over Velez I might pull out what little hair I have.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Two intense guys going at it. I'd be more worried if they just let it slide.

Anyway, Velez has certainly been solid. I think both he and Serioux are benefitting from having two defensive mids in front of them to take some of the pressure off.

Serioux went down for a slide tackle halfway through the first half and appeared to (re)injure his shoulder. Still, he took some throws after that, so who's to say?

I think we'd be in serio...err...terrible trouble if we were to lose Serioux, or even to lose his throws against tougher opposition. I know a great doctor of chinese medicine I should send over to his place. Maybe TFC would give me his home address if I call up the front desk...

giambac
04-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Never thought I'd be saying this, but Marco has looked pretty good the last couple of games. The odd lapse mentally, but not half as bad in that department, as he was last season.

So props to you, Velez. You've clearly been working this winter.

- Scott

No doubt he has looked good in the past 2 matches.