PDA

View Full Version : Danny Boy, part deux

bhoybobby
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Dan the (90) minute man, sublime, aerial & ground superiority, brought everyone into the game, he & Vitti link very well. Coulda, shoulda had two, great game nonetheless.

Vitti, what a player, very direct, great skill tenacious, a tad unlucky

Barrett, give it up son, your crap

Adrian Serioux, another great game, your partner Velez scares me with his mental lapses.

Marvell, your aptly named, your 1st touch belongs in a comic book along with your crossing & passing.

Great 3 points though.

Ageroo
04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Good assessment for the most part. I thought Serioux was solid again as well, but there seemed to be something up with him. Seemed a little hestitant on some balls and miss judged a couple.......But it was a good 3 points!

greatwhitenorf
04-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah, damn that Marvell, eh. Only started the play on our goal with a neat pass off the wing to Cronin. Not his best game overall, but will still start games if he's healthy.

Thought Barrett put in a solid effort, good off the ball running.

Shakes McQueen
04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, damn that Marvell, eh. Only started the play on our goal with a neat pass off the wing to Cronin. Not his best game overall, but will still start games if he's healthy.

Thought Barrett put in a solid effort, good off the ball running.

I agree with this assessment.

- Scott

S_D
04-26-2009, 07:37 PM
what the hell are we going to do when DD retires :(

Get In There
04-26-2009, 07:39 PM
I say we clone him

B

Nodoubtguy
04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
so I will admit that I wasn't too impressed with DD after the last game....it was ok, but not great.....today is a whole different story!!! I think DD and Vitti could do great things!!

Heart of Stone
04-26-2009, 07:42 PM
The captain played well today and lead the mass pre-game huddle

bhoybobby
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
so I will admit that I wasn't too impressed with DD after the last game....it was ok, but not great.....today is a whole different story!!! I think DD and Vitti could do great things!!

Wow, all he did was continue on from where he left off last game. actually he gave us more of the same, superb in the air & on the ground, great 1st touch. More importantly he holds up the ball & brings others into the game.

Pachuco
04-26-2009, 08:25 PM
He had a better game today then last game, and that's not because of the goal, he really did. Great performance from him. He's the only striker on this team that has the natural ability to score.

Shway
04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Hes A Star
He Will Shine
So We Gave Him Number 9
Danny D, Danny D

Watch A Star
Watch Him Shine
Torontos Number 9
Danny D, Danny

Jack
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I liked Barrett better today, Bobby. He still can't score, but he seemed to do better as part of the play and buildup and man, when he tracked back at full gallop to break up that one dangerous run by KC on his flank, I thought to myself: No way DeRo does that and maybe that costs us a goal and the win.

Vitti is doing great. He battles and battles and doesn't give up on the ball and wins through. Too bad he didn't get his goal, he sure deserved it!

DD ... *sigh* too bad he's not 3 years younger!

bhoybobby
04-26-2009, 09:39 PM
I liked Barrett better today, Bobby. He still can't score, but he seemed to do better as part of the play and buildup and man, when he tracked back at full gallop to break up that one dangerous run by KC on his flank, I thought to myself: No way DeRo does that and maybe that costs us a goal and the win.

Vitti is doing great. He battles and battles and doesn't give up on the ball and wins through. Too bad he didn't get his goal, he sure deserved it!

DD ... *sigh* too bad he's not 3 years younger!

Never mind, DD's like a fine wine, he's aging well. As for Barrett, he does have a good motor, but he's very frustrating to watch.

ExiledRed
04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
How many sitters does Barrett have to miss?

I thought he'd died of embarrassment when they bought the stretcher out. Stevie Fuckin' Wonder would have scored that chance.

Jack
04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Never mind, DD's like a fine wine, he's aging well. As for Barrett, he does have a good motor, but he's very frustrating to watch.
I hope so, man. The injury bug has bitten him in each of the past two seasons. After seeing what he does for our team in these last two matches, there's no question he needs to start.

As for Barrett, I agree...frustrating for sure. Though he did "score" today, even though he was offside. Barrett's wheels and his ability to use his strength to win the ball deep in the other team's end makes him useful. I'd still start DeRo over Barrett any day of the week, but Barrett seems to be useful as the runner in the trio with Dichio and Vitti as the skill guys.

bhoybobby
04-26-2009, 09:47 PM

I thought he'd died of embarrassment when they bought the stretcher out. Stevie Fuckin' Wonder would have scored that chance.

lmao, that's what my wife said "poor guy, he's burned his fingers on the carpet trying to did a hole & hide"

Pachuco
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I hope so, man. The injury bug has bitten him in each of the past two seasons. After seeing what he does for our team in these last two matches, there's no question he needs to start.

As for Barrett, I agree...frustrating for sure. Though he did "score" today, even though he was offside. Barrett's wheels and his ability to use his strength to win the ball deep in the other team's end makes him useful. I'd still start DeRo over Barrett any day of the week, but Barrett seems to be useful as the runner in the trio with Dichio and Vitti as the skill guys.

Vitti scored when he was offside, don't remember Barrett scoring today though?

ExiledRed
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I thought Dichio played a stronger game against chivas actually, but his presence today was crucial for the win. My heart burst when he scored again 'just there'

he just passes it into the net, and he scores because his passing is top notch.

Jack
04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
The thing is, I've lowered my expectations with Barrett now. He's serviceable for what he does and if he happens to score, it's nice, but I don't expect him to score anymore...the blueballs would kill me otherwise :D

His wheels and strength get him to balls most other players on our team would never reach and he keeps a lot of plays alive and pressure on because of it. He's not a great striker, but as an outside forward he's done a decent job of it.

Vitti scored when he was offside, don't remember Barrett scoring today though?
I think Barrett did too...maybe I'm crazy. Sometimes I miss stretches of play when I'm really drumming hard.

trane
04-26-2009, 09:52 PM

I liked him today, and to a lesser extend on Wensday in exactly that role. Vitti, De Ro, Dichio, Guevarra, will score the goals we need. OUr back line protected by Robbo and Cronin, will be fine. Right now I feel good about the direction. Clearly we need to keep working.

I still do not understand who Dichio was on the field so littel in the first five games, and same goes for Vitti. I am not trying to bash CArver I am just trying to understand were he was coming from.

trane
04-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I thought Dichio played a stronger game against chivas actually, but his presence today was crucial for the win. My heart burst when he scored again 'just there'

he just passes it into the net, and he scores because his passing is top notch.

Agreed. But he did so much, and played so well with the other forwards his interplay with Guevarra on Guevarra's monster strike was incredbile. You could see how they were exactly on the same page, it was one of the best plays I have seen in the league, Hartman had to make a great save.

bhoybobby
04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
I liked him today, and to a lesser extend on Wensday in exactly that role. Vitti, De Ro, Dichio, Guevarra, will score the goals we need. OUr back line protected by Robbo and Cronin, will be fine. Right now I feel good about the direction. Clearly we need to keep working.

I still do not understand who Dichio was on the field so littel in the first five games, and same goes for Vitti. I am not trying to bash CArver I am just trying to understand were he was coming from.

Ageism, pure & simple.

If you're good enough you play, doesn't matter how young or old you are, just ask sir Alex

felipe
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
You Barett hatrs have got to go; he has played quite well all year; 'cept for a few missed chances...you have to remember that even his doppleganger in Manchester missed scoring in about 8 straight games earlier his year...
I

I like Vitti too, but if your going to gang up on Barrett for missing shots - Vitti missed about 5 today

Great win...you could see the side building to great things through the earlier portion of the season...although my heart was in mouth the last 20 minutes...we got quite sloppy at the back, Serioux in particular seemed indecisive at times...

When you have that many chances and don't bury 'em, if often comes back to bite you on the ass later

We'll get a lot of confidence from that display, though

FluSH
04-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Monster

Gixmo
04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Dichio is deadly, He's an icon

... and he's generous, he looked up to find Vitti and lay off, when he clearly had the best opportunity at goal late in the second half. Unselfish, beautiful (but I would have prefer'd the second..)

TFC OZZ
04-26-2009, 10:07 PM

clearly not as many as Vitti.

Jack
04-26-2009, 10:09 PM
You Barett hatrs have got to go; he has played quite well all year; 'cept for a few missed chances...you have to remember that even his doppleganger in Manchester missed scoring in about 8 straight games earlier his year...
I

I like Vitti too, but if your going to gang up on Barrett for missing shots - Vitti missed about 5 today

Great win...you could see the side building to great things through the earlier portion of the season...although my heart was in mouth the last 20 minutes...we got quite sloppy at the back, Serioux in particular seemed indecisive at times...

When you have that many chances and don't bury 'em, if often comes back to bite you on the ass later

This is true. Both Barrett and Vitti did a lot of good things besides their scoring chances today. I think the difference here is that Vitti still hasn't run out of chances to miss chances yet :D Plus I think he could still be getting better and maybe his scoring touch returns a bit. That offside was a nice finish and the roller past the post was agony. His misses just seem different than Barrett's misses, if you get what I mean.

ExiledRed
04-26-2009, 10:21 PM
clearly not as many as Vitti.

Vitti's finish is just as bad, but his football IQ is obviously much higher.

Barrett is usually in the wrong place, he doesn't read the game well, he overextends his runs, crosses when he should shoot and shoots when he should cross. (unless those crosses were actually shots, and I think some were)

Vitti takes his chances, dismisses defenders, crosses well and marauds their back line. His battling is a pleasure to watch, and his positioning is spot on.

There's no question who is the stronger player.

NateDoGG
04-26-2009, 10:41 PM
dichio proved to us once again why he is our fav and why he has been and always will be (long as he stays playing) our go to guy! mr clutch!

bignickel
04-26-2009, 11:07 PM
I

played well maybe not, but he sure has worked hard. a few missed chances though is a gross understatement of his lack of scoring touch.

Gixmo
04-26-2009, 11:22 PM
My grandmother has better shooting boots..

IE: The arcing volley in the 2nd half.. Why try and kill that SOB when you can simply side foot it into an open goal...

I like Barrett, he hustles.. but he has 2 left feet.. (Actually, his attempt with his left in the first half was one of his closest to the target...)

Inklink
04-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Make Barrett a midfielder. He seems to work very hard coming back to help the D, so leave him back there :rofl:

ensco
04-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Dichio should have been subbed out at 65 or 70 minutes.

Going 90 minutes after playing almost the whole game 4 days ago, in cold weather, that's not smart management of that asset.

Yohan
04-27-2009, 07:04 AM

Going 90 minutes after playing almost the whole game 4 days ago, in cold weather, that's not smart management of that asset.
Well, he's got a whole week to rest up. I suspect that is why Cummins let Dichio play 90mins

Chevy
04-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Start Vitti over Barrett. Dichio will need some days off during the season so Chad will get plenty of playing time.

Pachuco
04-27-2009, 08:03 AM

Honestly, in principle I thought he should have been subbed. But he was effective while he was still in there. He's also very good to have defending for you when KC is taking corners at the end of the game. I suspect that's why he was left in.

Fort York Redcoat
04-27-2009, 08:15 AM
How many 90 min games did DD play over the years before he got hurt? I agree with starting him to try and dominate play early but a full 90 seems a bit much looking at his history.

Vitti went up in my books when he showed the passion last game with getting the yellow but I don't see his play being that much better than Barrett. His style, perhaps but I think the 2 equal in work rate (and passion for the team BTW).

Mikey
04-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Great dichio related quotes from Kansas fans......

"I hope we don't have to deal with Dichio for 90 minutes....dude steamrolls with no regard for life or limb."

"When I got home from my game and turned on the wizards from my DVR I thought my DVR recorded some MMA show by accident."

Even in their post game, the coach makes referens to Dichio's "extremely physical" style of play.

:D

TFC Cityboy
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Dichio is God.

Vitti had a cracking game - and is that a unibrow? It's scary-looking whatever it is.

bhoybobby
04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
How many 90 min games did DD play over the years before he got hurt? I agree with starting him to try and dominate play early but a full 90 seems a bit much looking at his history.

Vitti went up in my books when he showed the passion last game with getting the yellow but I don't see his play being that much better than Barrett. His style, perhaps but I think the 2 equal in work rate (and passion for the team BTW).

I dunno, he seemed to grow in stature as the game went on, Cummins alluded to that in his post game comments.

Besides that, he only gets hurt because he gives it his all, what are you supposed to do, play not to get hurt like our friend Gueverra does.

Damn the torpedoes Danny Boy, full steam ahead, giver all ya got.

bhoybobby
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM

He played a lot of his career in England in miserable cold weather. He had no injury issues, he not in his 40's, he's in his 30's.

He had no injury issues, so no need for cotton wool. Start him & play him as long a he's fit. Th coach can always give him time off practice to recoup.

Enjoy him while he's able, 'cause once he's out the line up we don't have an aerial threat, or a hold up target man who can dish the ball.

cmonyoureds
04-27-2009, 11:17 AM

Barrett is usually in the wrong place, he doesn't read the game well, he overextends his runs, crosses when he should shoot and shoots when he should cross. (unless those crosses were actually shots, and I think some were)

Vitti takes his chances, dismisses defenders, crosses well and marauds their back line. His battling is a pleasure to watch, and his positioning is spot on.

Couldn't disagree with you more. But that's what makes life interesting, no?

Jack
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
The difference between Barrett and Vitti is that Vitti has improved his performances as he's gone on, while Barrett has remained the same. Vitti lifted the crowd out of its seats yesterday on several plays. The play where he dribbled through two defenders, kept the ball and got a shot off (well saved by Hartman) was great.

Hartman is one of the better keepers in the league and he made a good save on Vitti. The finish on the offside non-goal was pretty solid.

uncle p
04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Does anyone else' smile get just a lil bigger when danny scores as opposed to anyone else? Mine does, it just seems "right"

As for Serioux, I think he might have had a groin problem, late in the game when the ball was cleared the camera stayed on him, he reached for his crotch and half limped out of the box, you could tell by his face he was not comfortable

Darlofletch
04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Does anyone else' smile get just a lil bigger when danny scores as opposed to anyone else? Mine does, it just seems "right"

As for Serioux, I think he might have had a groin problem, late in the game when the ball was cleared the camera stayed on him, he reached for his crotch and half limped out of the box, you could tell by his face he was not comfortable

Correct and correct.

There definitely is a bit of extra joy when Dichio scores, and Serioux quite a few times was grimacing and slow getting up. It was probably his least effective game for us. Fortunately Velez played great beside him and it worked out.

ExiledRed
04-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Couldn't disagree with you more. But that's what makes life interesting, no?

Yeah but just telling me that you disagree isnt interesting at all.

Why you disagree is what's important.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-27-2009, 03:06 PM
fac..i'll miss this bald guy when he hangs em up!.....

trane
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM

I think he did better, and contributed to the game, worked hard and did challange the defenders, and helped create space. However, this is true, he seems to get caught between cross and pass , and then does neither or the wrong one to often. But I think that he coudl to play in a wider position and learn.

bhoybobby
04-27-2009, 05:49 PM
fac..i'll miss this bald guy when he hangs em up!.....

I see no reason why he should hang them up, all of a sudden is he gonna be shite, take it year by year, for now he's top dog. Other teams hate playing against him, he makes our team better.

Carry on DD as long as you can, once your retired, your a long time retired

bhoybobby
04-27-2009, 05:51 PM
The difference between Barrett and Vitti is that Vitti has improved his performances as he's gone on, while Barrett has remained the same. Vitti lifted the crowd out of its seats yesterday on several plays. The play where he dribbled through two defenders, kept the ball and got a shot off (well saved by Hartman) was great.

Hartman is one of the better keepers in the league and he made a good save on Vitti. The finish on the offside non-goal was pretty solid.

Vitti's got game & is a tenacious hard nosed bastard who is very direct, a skillful animal, very rare, very dangerous