PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings: TFC v. KC

Lucky Strike
04-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Another satisfying 1-0 win and a first (at least officially) for Cummins. As a bit of an editorial piece, I thought (and continue to think) it was CC who picked the team on Wednesday against Chivas. The first half the teams felt each other out and it was pretty even but the second half, TFC owned and it could have been 3 or even 4 goals to the good. On to the ratings:

Frei - 8: I said on Wednesday a clean sheet with more work to do would earn him a better score. He did have to be more active, and he did come through. He notably stopped the dangerous Lopez from close range with a great tip-over save and the key save before the end of the 1st half. Had either or those gone in, it would have been crushing. Just wow!
Wynne - 6.5: The usual good performance from him, was a bit positionally odd on an occasion or two but no shockers. Going forward, he did his usual bit and looked the part.
Serioux - 6.5: Much less solicited this time around, but solid when he had to be although maybe a bit less though than against Chivas. That shouldn't be a concern though as he played out of his mind then.
Velez - 6.5: Never thought I would write this, but two good games without clangers for Velez. I'll be the first to hold my hand up and say I've been very harsh with him last year, with good reason. But he's changing my mind: I'm not quite completely at ease with him yet but it looks promising.
Brennan - 7.5: Maybe his most important contribution was not even during the match. He had everyone on tenterhooks (it's a word, look it up) with his pre-game speech to the boys. Other than that, he was solid, making several important tackles.
Robinson - 7: A bit off the mark with some of his passes but otherwise always in the right position to cut off a KC attack and cleared many balls.
Cronin - 7: He and Robbo are making an excellent team and Cronin, yet again had a good match. Thumbs up!
Guevara - 6.5: Quiet first half save for that awesome volley stopped by Hartman. Became more involved in the second half with key passes. Subbed.
Barrett - 6: The usual herculean effort but a few more misses than last time out. Subbed.
Vitti - 8: You have no idea of my wish for him to have finished that excellent run; if only his shot had rolled a foot to the left. If you saw the game, you know what I'm talking about: this would have sealed goal of the year and that's no exaggeration! Had an excellent second half with other similarly dangerous plays. He does look like he's on a slightly different wavelength than his teammates at times. But I'm confident that'll work itself out over time. Subbed and booked.
Dichio - 7: Less involved in the play than last time out. Don't mistake this for criticism though; it's just that the play came to him less today. But he got the goal and got us the win, so you can't really complain.

Harmse - 6: Didn't do anything spectacularly good or bad, but looked a bit more technically skilled today. Maybe because he was playing in a more familiar position.
Ricketts - NR: An enforced change in the 83rd minute and held his own.
Attakora - NR: Puzzled to see him deployed in Vitti AMR role, didn't know he could do that. It showed somewhat on his incomplete run to the net.

Cummins - 8: Whether you believe today's line-up was just copied from Carver's last Wednesday or that Cummins was the mastermind behind the new formation we've been fielding since the Chivas game, Cummins performed well. He looked confident, composed and adapted to KC in the second half. If you watched the post-game presser, you'll have heard a few of the things he tried. Well it worked.

Referee - 6.5: Generally good, Toronto played a rough game and bowled over KC players quite a bit which naturally drew protests from them. They were mostly just whining, but in some instances, I thought they had a case. A few inconsistent calls (which fortunately screwed KC rather than us) and he missed giving KC a corner in the second half. I suspect I'd be more angry if those had gone against TFC and/or we lost. Seeing that Carver was gone, it was Curt Onalfo who attempted to fill the void by yelling about the described errors.

MOTM: Vitti. Just looked ever so dangerous, particularly with the afore-mentioned run. I hope this game marks the flourishing of Vitti. Frei comes in at a very close second.

Most impressed by opposition's: Tough one. No one really stood out here. I'll go with Arnaud, even injured he looked dangerous at times.

Hope you enjoyed; top of the East baby!

Beach_Red
04-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks for this. I didn't get to see the game (stupid work) and I appreciate it.

ballerz
04-26-2009, 07:17 PM
I think Brennan was the most useless player on TFC today. Serioux and Velez did well, but there were several instances of missed/poor clearances. Stefan Frei is the MOM. His first half reaction save on Arnaud bailed out our defence. The volley from Lopez was outstanding. These were not the only occassions where he bailed the defence out.

Pablo Vitti had a horrible first half but made at least 5 scoring chances in the second. I noticed that he doesn't get the ball out of his feet quick enough. A couple of times int he first half, he just couldn't get the touch to pass the ball and was instead forced to hold the ball up.

Rohan Ricketts did not impress me when he came in. He did not defend well and he did not have the pace to beat a defender who played for 85 minutes.

The others - I agree.

S_D
04-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Attakora - NR: Puzzled to see him deployed in Vitti AMR role, didn't know he could do that. It showed somewhat on his incomplete run to the net.

I would add only one thing.

He made a rookie mistake trying to pass to RR in front of the net when he should have tried to waste some time by going into the corner.

swan
04-26-2009, 07:22 PM

He made a rookie mistake trying to pass to RR in front of the net when he should have tried to waste some time by going into the corner.

or run the ball in closer and take a shot....

Lucky Strike
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Yes, that's part of what I meant; he also could have run right at the net because he sure had the space.

InTheCrowd
04-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Forget running the ball into the corner. He had a clear path at goal and should've went in and tried to score.

Pachuco
04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Here is my take I posted in the game thread:

Jimmy Brennan - Best game of the season by far.
Serioux - Solid as always.
Vitti - my god this guy is exactly what this team needed. He's like a booster shot.
Frei - My god Frei, he bailed us out so many times today, this guy is the real deal. Man of the match in my opinion.
Dichio - Doing what he does best. His flicks are incredible and once again, 1 shot on net, 1 goal.
Robbo and Cronin - Both held the midfield extremely well. What a great thing to have these two guys in front of the defense.
Velez - Shockingly good today. Very composed back there, really surprised me.
Wynne - He was decent today
Guevara - Doesn't seem to be playing great lately, it's weird, I never thought I would say that. He had a key play when he cleared a ball off a corner on defense.
Barrett - Well, Barrett was Barrett. Worked his ass off, made some nice plays, and missed some shots as usual.
Harmse - Although limited playing time, actually looked more comfortable in the middle then he has at CB
Ricketts - Pretty limited playing time so I can't really say much.

First half was a little boring and lack-luster. Great second half though. I am getting a little worried with the inability to just put games away.

All in all though

WE ARE IN FIRST!!!

NateDoGG
04-26-2009, 08:09 PM
guevara played good, better then a 6.5 rating
id say 7.5

predicition: by the end of the season we will see Vitti score a handfull of wonder goals
i can see it coming...

mclaren
04-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Cronin was class as usual - had a great cross at the end to put it on a plate for Barrett who unfortunately hit it over the bar.

Mojo
04-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Here is my take I posted in the game thread:

Jimmy Brennan - Best game of the season by far.
Serioux - Solid as always.
Vitti - my god this guy is exactly what this team needed. He's like a booster shot.
Frei - My god Frei, he bailed us out so many times today, this guy is the real deal. Man of the match in my opinion.
Dichio - Doing what he does best. His flicks are incredible and once again, 1 shot on net, 1 goal.
Robbo and Cronin - Both held the midfield extremely well. What a great thing to have these two guys in front of the defense.
Velez - Shockingly good today. Very composed back there, really surprised me.
Wynne - He was decent today
Guevara - Doesn't seem to be playing great lately, it's weird, I never thought I would say that. He had a key play when he cleared a ball off a corner on defense.
Barrett - Well, Barrett was Barrett. Worked his ass off, made some nice plays, and missed some shots as usual.
Harmse - Although limited playing time, actually looked more comfortable in the middle then he has at CB
Ricketts - Pretty limited playing time so I can't really say much.

First half was a little boring and lack-luster. Great second half though. I am getting a little worried with the inability to just put games away.

All in all though

WE ARE IN FIRST!!!

Felt like just last week we were complaining about how terrible the team was playing and calling for the apocalypse to save our season... now we're in first. What is going on?!

rocker
04-26-2009, 11:23 PM
What is going on?!

That's MLS baby!!! yer never out of it, even when you suck shit (like Columbass and Shite Bulls). Shite Bulls blew a lead and gave up 2 goals right at the end of the game today to lose... but they are only really 2 wins behind first in the east.

Roogsy
04-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Not sure I agree with the Harmse sub. I am not a big fan of bringing him on at all unless absolutely freakin' necessary. I am talking about only at times when our squad is depleted because of international call ups.

Brennan - Looked invisible...but then again, you don't really want your defenders to stand out unless they score right?

Dichio - Massive game. Shows his quality. Funny enough, I think he had a better game last week, but this week he continued to be effective and of course...our only goal-scorer, further cementing his legendary status for this team.

Vitti - Also had a better game last week but was still effective this week. Draws defenders. Creates chances. He was double-teamed all game long. I love watching him play. He opens up space for other players.

Cronin - Man, this kid looks better and better each game. Being paired up with Robbo CANNOT be changed. This has to be the setup all year long. We will make BMO Field a fortress once again.

Frei - what can I say? I can't believe this kid is a rookie. He's better than most keepers in this league. We will loose him at some point, I am almost sure of it.

Wynne - His speed wasn't used today which is not a good thing. And he has no left foot, which needs to be addressed. His crosses need work too. BUT...no major brainfarts today and solid defending. That's all we need at this moment. So carry on Marvelous one!

Velez - Solid. No screw ups. That's what we need from him. Adelante Marco!

Serioux - Started off the game looking like he was going to get red carded at some point. I was worried. But he settled down and the defence did it's job. He wasn't a star today but that's ok. We just needed consistency.

Robbo - Unspectacular today, but that's ok. Having Cronin with him makes sure there is a backup plan back there. Watching him play with a partner reminded me the Edu days.

Guevara - Dangerous, dangerous, dangerous. I LOVE having this guy on the team. The shot Fatboy had to save was gorgeous. Only Guevara would dare take that shot. Sometimes tries to ballhandle his way through too difficult situations but that is the price we pay for wanting him to create chances.

Barrett - Playing better in this formation and getting chances. But yes...needs to start burying them. That being said...I don't think there is a player out there that is working harder. I appreciate that. His work will pay off.

Big Bruva
04-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Marv: still needs to work on his positioning as he gets caught ball watching while his man is losing him and needs to work on his touch, crossing and passing.

DD: played well and chested a few quality balls into a teammates path or made a good wall pass. Good goal (talking to his wife in the family room after and she didn't get back to her seat to see it lol)

Robbo: does what he usually does, he always wants the ball and 9 times out of 10 makes himself an option for any teammate on the ball.

Vitti: quiet first half and had flahes of brilliance in the second half but i wouldn't of given him MOM

Frei: playing very well and made some key saves today that could of had TFC down 2 or 3-1. Knows when to come out, dominates the ball in the air and any real defender will tell you that it contributes to how they play in a big way if their keeper is confident and communicates well. Gets my MOM

TFC_Chris
04-27-2009, 12:12 AM
A couple things that I saw during the game that were confirmed upon watching the highlights (Game in 6 minutes):

- Vitti was horribly offside on the first half where he got a back heel from Dichio that was kicked away by Hartman. I'm talking a good 5 feet and wasn't called.

- Barrett was incredible working in tight spaces between their 6 yard box and end line. Battled hard and created a bunch of chances that would otherwise have not existed.

- Vitti was onside on his offside goal.

- Barrett had a great throughball to Dichio moments after his goal that he fluffed on. My first thought was "Wow, if that was Barrett, there would be non-stop booing."

Big Bruva
04-27-2009, 12:19 AM
A couple things that I saw during the game that were confirmed upon watching the highlights (Game in 6 minutes):

- Vitti was horribly offside on the first half where he got a back heel from Dichio that was kicked away by Hartman. I'm talking a good 5 feet and wasn't called.

- Barrett was incredible working in tight spaces between their 6 yard box and end line. Battled hard and created a bunch of chances that would otherwise have not existed.

- Vitti was onside on his offside goal.

- Barrett had a great throughball to Dichio moments after his goal that he fluffed on. My first thought was "Wow, if that was Barrett, there would be non-stop booing."

lol i got used to the inconsistency on this forum a long time ago. Its very true though, if it was Chad there would of been a lot more talk about it.

Super
04-27-2009, 12:22 AM

That is all.