PDA

View Full Version : Coach Carver appreciation thread

mastermixer
04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I've got mixed emotions about Carver leaving, but one thing I can say about him was he did have a passion for leading our squad... regardless of how good or bad the results were
Although it stinks he left us high and dry in mid season, I wish him all the best in whatever he does.

druid
04-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I hope that Carver and his family are well and that they enjoyed their time in Toronto.

felipe
04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
I hope Giambac fesses up and finally admits that he and Carver are one and the same

Think about it..has anyone ever seen the two of them together?

Some people are their own toughest critic...

NateDoGG
04-25-2009, 09:45 PM
cry baby carver?

s2cazz
04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
I still want my In Carver We Trust scarf...He was all class in my book... We need to make a "Wish it was MO " scarf...

giambac
04-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I WILL MISS CARVER and all his BONEHEAD DECIIONS.

InTheCrowd
04-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I appreciate the effort he has previously put into our club. I however do not appreciate him leaving and abandoning us at this period of the season.

dclaro
04-25-2009, 10:20 PM
i appreciate him shushing columbus fans

Ageroo
04-25-2009, 10:22 PM
"In Carver we trust"

AKA - Put your blind faith in a man who would bail on his team mid-season

get real people,
look at the big picture

Where the heck are those banner makers now anyways?
Gone back into hibernation I expect

I WILL MISS CARVER and all his BONEHEAD DECIIONS.

cry baby carver?

Read the thread title....you have many other threads to bitch about Carver.....stay in those.....

I was mixed on Carver, but I do wish him the best.

wzhxvy
04-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I wish him the best and thank him for his passion for the club and its supporters.

TFC07
04-25-2009, 10:31 PM
In Carver We Trust

JDG
04-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Next person who posts against the spirit of this thread is asking for a ban, and I will take pleasure in administering it.

poppamidnight
04-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks FCC, but I was merely trying to make the point that "appreciation" is an illogical term to be using here, (in light of someone quitting mid-job)

the thread should more appropriately be titled "wish all the best" in future endeavors

I'm not gunna "appreciate" a carpenter who builds me half a house...
I'll wish him the best on his future endeavors though

s2cazz
04-25-2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=264&pictureid=1465

Shep
04-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks FCC, but I was merely trying to make the point that "appreciation" is an illogical term to be using here, (in light of someone quitting mid-job)

the thread should more appropriately be titled "wish all the best" in future endeavors

That and throwing an unneeded jibe at the people who did support him and were putting in work to show their appreciation before he left.

It was totally uncalled for... why would you insult supporters who get behind their coach? Yes he left, but when those banners were being made he was with us and working hard for the club.

It's fine not to appreciate, but to come into an appreciation thread and treat it like a YouTube comments section is pitiful.

poppamidnight
04-25-2009, 11:09 PM
That and throwing an unneeded jibe at the people who did support him and were putting in work to show their appreciation before he left.

It was totally uncalled for... why would you insult supporters who get behind their coach? Yes he left, but when those banners were being made he was with us and working hard for the club.

It's fine not to appreciate, but to come into an appreciation thread and treat it like a YouTube comments section is pitiful.

See bolded

Again, Improper terminology...
Words = accountability in the global world... so they better be accurate.

Am i not free to point out that a half-built car does not warrent "appreciation" (but rather a "wish all the best" to those who built that half-car?)

Rocco
04-25-2009, 11:13 PM
I know Carver checks out our forums and he'll read this sooner or later. JC, you had alotta passion on and off the field, you showed it every game. You respected us as fans and always appreciated our input. I wish that your personal decision to leave this team was not triggered by an illness. Best of luck in your future ventures. My humble advice would be to keep a calm head against officials and always consider yourself in their shoes.

I look forward to following your next team. Good luck in Newcastle :)

Ageroo
04-25-2009, 11:21 PM

I see your point and get your NON-appreciation...the thread is created and titled as it is. You do not need to post in the thread if you do not appreciate him....and you don't need to come into the thread either to point out that is should be titled something else....no matter how many times you try to explain your reasoning to post in here.....just find another thread. The spirit of the thread is for appreciation, which you do not have for the man....is it that hard to steer your way into another thread.

Roogsy
04-25-2009, 11:22 PM
I believe poppamidnight has been dealt with. This thread can go back to it's original purpose. If anyone else comes in and tries to derail it, JDG has already made it clear there will be no warnings.

Pachuco
04-25-2009, 11:49 PM
I will say this. Anytime a negative thread is opened people jump all over it and most of the time people get bashed for opening such a thread. So my only ask to Mods is that if that is how this forum is going to work, then don't create a double standard. I'll create a Thank God Carver is Gone thread soon and I expect to see no positive comments or attempts to derail the thread. Thanks!

I'm in no way derailing this thread of posting a negative comment about Carver, just stating my opinion on the fact that people can't come in and take part in the thread unless you believe in what this thread is all about. That's not what forums are all about.

Flipityflu
04-25-2009, 11:52 PM
all the best John

tfc
04-25-2009, 11:53 PM
what i think of him personally has no bearing on how i should act when he leaves; he put on the red, had passion, and will leave knowing at least a few of us have the class to show him the respect he deserves.

hope he enjoyed his time here, and all the best in his future.

Shakes McQueen
04-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Always liked the man, though I was starting to harbour doubts about his coaching methods towards the end.

I wish him luck wherever he goes (aka Newcastle), but I hope his reasons for leaving are good. I'm going to be really irritated if he just left the reds high and dry mid-season, because Shearer came calling.

I suspect that isn't the case though. His passion always seemed genuine, and he never treated this team like it was beneath him.

Here's hoping the team can carry on without him.

- Scott

Roogsy
04-26-2009, 12:00 AM
I will say this. Anytime a negative thread is opened people jump all over it and most of the time people get bashed for opening such a thread. So my only ask to Mods is that if that is how this forum is going to work, then don't create a double standard. I'll create a Thank God Carver is Gone thread soon and I expect to see no positive comments or attempts to derail the thread. Thanks!

I'm in no way derailing this thread of posting a negative comment about Carver, just stating my opinion on the fact that people can't come in and take part in the thread unless you believe in what this thread is all about. That's not what forums are all about.

That is not true Pachuco.

General thread of discussion where there are viewpoints from both sides do not fall under the same category as threads created with a specific goal in mind.

No thread has ever been closed or edited because a mod disagreed with the point of view. It only ever happens if it violates the rules of the board.

And you are also incorrect in that forums can edit out certain viewpoints. Much like how we have removed users who were supporters of other teams who came on here to disrupt this board, thread creators can invite only viewpoints they are in agreement with. It happens in all forums of every sort all over the internet. The "netiquette" here is that if you are not in agreement, you do not enter that thread. Feel the need to vent, you won't find anyone who will agree that there aren't many other threads that can do that job for you.

There are no double standards. But rather, general internet etiquette is applied fairly.

If you want to create such a negative thread...by all means do so and state clearly you do not want positive posts derailing your thread. That being said...don't then deny or bemoan when you are "labelled" a certain way by other forum users.

That is all that needs to be said on this subject. This thread has a specific viewpoint and the OP is clear that negative viewpoints of Carver will not be accepted. Anyone contravening that desire will be banned, no warnings given.

gtaguy
04-26-2009, 12:50 AM
thanks for blowing one of my picks in my fantasy league...
next time just announce your resignation on a friday night so i still have time to change it.

kidding

Wish you all the best to you and your family .. May you find fame and fortune in your next gig..
Remember you will always be a red and hope maybe some day you come back and finish the job..

onward we have a game tomorrow or is that now today.Go Reds...

Oldtimer
04-26-2009, 05:52 AM
What I appreciate about Carver:

His passion for the game
His honesty
His love for the supporters

Yohan
04-26-2009, 06:13 AM

His passion for the game
His honesty
Appreciate!

cmonureds
04-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks, John, your passion and energy will be missed. I hope it wasn't MLS' ham-fisted attempts to suppress criticism of their dodgy officiating that sent you away, but rather an opportunity to be part of Newcastle again, with Shearer at the helm. Best of luck in the future.

pekduck
04-26-2009, 06:47 AM
All the best John.

You are the best coach I've met in life. Always passionate, speaks your mind, love the fans and stands up for the team off the pitch.

Numerous times I have ran into you at away cities and you are always pleasant to talk to. A real player's coach and supporter's coach.

TFCinVANCOUVER
04-26-2009, 06:57 AM
I already miss his passion!! i have never felt this way about a coach leaving a Toronto sports team!!
God bless you and your family Johnny!!

Toronto till i die!!

Bloor West FC
04-26-2009, 07:36 AM
All the Best John!! Hope your time here was well spent. I hope you hang your TFC scarf high!!

cementhead
04-26-2009, 07:56 AM
All the Best Mr Carver to and your Family.You will be sadly miss by the ALL RED ARMY!

backbeat
04-26-2009, 08:00 AM
'if you cast your minds back'
you'll be remembered very fondly here in Toronto
full of passion, brimming with enthusiasm for the team and fans
you have made a massive impact in a very short period of time
and will always be welcome
a glass to many future and fulfilling adventures......:drinking:

scooter
04-26-2009, 09:03 AM
john carver is number one in my book
i am even hoping someone can get him to change his mind
our teams future was in his hands and " in carver we trust " was aknowledgement of that

if you wont or cant reconsider john then i wish you and yours all the best in the future and best of luck whatever you choose to do

to steal a line from ben-------------onward

its game day boys and girls - come on you reds

JDG
04-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Thank you JC
You were a wonderful addition to the team. You made us better, and put us on track to continue to grow. Some were frustrated with the rate of growth, but I was confident that you'd take us to the playoffs this year.

I loved your passion for the sport, and your passion for the team. You pissed people off whenever you got in front of the camera, but not me. You were usually echoing my frustrations perfectly.

It has been clear that the players loved you. I've spoken with several, and it wasn't just sound bytes for the press - these guys had a lot of respect for you.

Your appreciation for the fans and supporters was clearly communicated. Thank you.

You'll be missed.

One of my favorite Carver moments:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2043/2502566946_3e73fa6ac3_b.jpg

Suds
04-26-2009, 10:18 AM
TFC is such a young club that is just starting to create its history. Over time, it's the characters involved with the club that will make up the history and moments we'll remember and talk about in years to come.

John Carver was the first coach that had passion, character, and gave the fans some good memories. Thanks, John. All the best.

Phil
04-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I just want to thank the guy for bringing what he did to our team.

All the best to you and your family. I hope everything works out for you in your career.

sidney
04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks JC. You brought TFC to a higher level. Wish you stayed longer. All the best to you and your family.

Kevvv
04-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Although it stinks he left us high and dry in mid season, I wish him all the best in whatever he does.

Actually, it would have stunk (stank?) if he left us high and dry mid-season. Instead, he left with 80% of the season still ahead of us. That gives the new guy plenty of time to shape the squad his way, develop tactics and form a solid unit to take us to the playoffs. Class move, all the way - best of luck to him, wherever he lands.

Carts
04-26-2009, 10:35 PM
JC - I just want to say THANK YOU. You guided our club with pure passion and wanted to win and move forward more than anything...

In the years to come, and the championships come, we'll look back on how we got there, and you'll be one of the important reasons...

Thanks JC - I'll always remember the all-star game and you buying me a beer...

Carts...

tfc
04-26-2009, 10:40 PM
just watched the Mo presser, looks like it was a combo of factors and personal health was a part of it. too bad, thought he was a great guy.

cy43
04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
just watched the Mo presser, looks like it was a combo of factors and personal health was a part of it. too bad, thought he was a great guy.

I'm guessing he still is.

All the best Mr. Carver.

bignickel
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
thank you john, even though we are 2-0 without you at the bench, our first 2 home wins, we hope that we can succeed without you. we appreciate all of your efforts.

Fushida
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
TFC is such a young club that is just starting to create its history. Over time, it's the characters involved with the club that will make up the history and moments we'll remember and talk about in years to come.

John Carver was the first coach that had passion, character, and gave the fans some good memories. Thanks, John. All the best.

Well said. All the best JC!

Jack
04-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Given that it's come to light about some health issues, I will take this opportunity to wish JC all the best and I sincerely hope he recovers from whatever issues he is having.

We may have been hard on him, but it was out of passion for our team, something he can surely understand. All the best in your future endeavours, John, and thanks for giving it your all here in Toronto for our Reds.

Roogsy
04-26-2009, 10:51 PM
I will always be a part of Johnny Carver's all red army.

He wanted to win. He loved the team. He loved the fans.

For me...he was the right choice at the time.

Maybe some agree he wasn't the best coach...but he represented everything I wanted in a coach that headed up my team.

My best wishes to you and your family John as you go on to your next team and next challenge. I will be rooting for you.

TFC_Chris
04-26-2009, 10:54 PM
I will always be a part of Johnny Carver's all red army.

He wanted to win. He loved the team. He loved the fans.

For me...he was the right choice at the time.

Maybe some agree he wasn't the best coach...but he represented everything I wanted in a coach that headed up my team.

My best wishes to you and your family John as you go on to your next team and next challenge. I will be rooting for you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thank you John. Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Detroit_TFC
04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm sorry that it didn't work out. I really wanted to see what JC would do with a proper preseason tuneup, better lineup, etc. If he helps Newcastle return to the Prem next year, that would be a good thing.

Carts
04-26-2009, 10:59 PM
JOHNNY CARVER'S - ALL RED ARMY...

I'm one of them...

Carts...

Hustle
04-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Best of luck JC....thanks for helping to build something great as well as a great team of coaches...now hopefully onward and upward for both you and TFC!

Mark in Ottawa
04-27-2009, 07:37 AM
John Carver is the epitome of that old cliche about "wearing your heart on your sleeve". I always appreciated John's straight forward no bull attitude.
He expected lots from himself and the folks around him at the football club... we would be wise to remember that always.

Good luck John in all of your future endeavours where ever they may take you.

trane
04-27-2009, 09:34 AM

His passion for the game
His honesty

Agreed. I had moved from a supporter of his, to a critic/doubter but I did appreciate these aspects from him. He also voiced alot of my frustration with the MLS.

Yohan
04-27-2009, 09:43 AM
thank you John for all the good times

I think you've laid a solid foundation infrastructure wise in the club for TFC to succeed in the future, and I will miss your passion for the game

best wishes

jabbronies
04-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Carver had great post game interviews...

trail
04-27-2009, 11:23 AM
To bad, best of luck!!