PDA

View Full Version : Beer Throwers Setting Bad Precedent?

Pookie
04-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Just borrowing the title from the smoke thread to pose the question, is it time to treat beer throwers in a similar way to the flare throwers?

Lots of good things happened with the flare throwing incident.

a) fans pointed out the offenders
b) they were caught quickly by police
c) they were charged
d) they had their partial pack removed
e) they are banned from the stadium

A few years ago, the odd beer was thrown and it could be dismissed as a one off.

It now seems to be something you seen at least once a match. Still only a few individuals doing it mind you but it isn't going away.

Reading through the posts on this subject over the years it seems as thorough there is a growing majority that are tired of this. Fans are confronting other fans if they receive a beer shower or get hit with a full cup and lid.

The players, ie Brennan, seemingly have no interest in seeing it continue by their actions.

One can't help wonder if the perceived ability to "get away with it" and desire to be "rowdy" contributed to that moronic decision to bring flares to a game.

Does Toronto FC's security team plan to take a similar stance against those they can identify as beer throwers (ie. removing ticket privileges, assault charges if action results in injury, etc)?

Should they?

Brooker
04-25-2009, 06:51 AM
they should treat it the same. i agree.

/me throws a beer at Pookie

Pookie
04-25-2009, 06:59 AM
/me wishes it was the $12 thrown instead

CretanBull
04-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Throwing stuff on to the pitch & at players is against the rules of the MLS and BMO Field. The Red Patch Boys follow the rules of both.

InTheCrowd
04-25-2009, 07:20 AM
I remember there was a beer thrower a couple of rows in front of me in 112 last game. People like this make all of us look bad. After somebody makes a stupid decision to throw beer onto the field the fans from the rest of the league never let us hear the end of it. Not to mention what the media says about us, and you guys know that better than I do. My suggestion:

If you want to throw something, throw words.

CretanBull
04-25-2009, 07:23 AM
^ Just because the person sat in 112, it doesn't m,ean that they are a RPB member.

InTheCrowd
04-25-2009, 07:28 AM
^ Just because the person sat in 112, it doesn't m,ean that they are a RPB member.

From what I said that's not what I was hoping people would pay the most attention to. It was just an observation and I'm pointing out I saw it done last game as well.

P.S - He was right in the middle of it right beside the drum. I think he was RPB. Anyone some friends tapped him on the back like well done? Ridiculous, I think he was wasted though. :D

EDIT: Also in my last post where did I say that he was an RPB member?

Eastend
04-25-2009, 07:29 AM
On subject but not at BMO, Tortorella was showered with a beer during an arguement with a fan last night, it may not be the sole reason but the fan was tossed.....AND, unless you were watching this part of the newscast you won't hear of this event again, unlike beer tossing at BMO that keeps getting regurgitated by the media.

I sit in the front row of my section and I am getting tired of the beer showers. Give them a warning then toss the mothers.

FluSH
04-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Everyone around here knows our stance on beer throwing... We've talked about it last season... and this season as well. Throwing a Beer unto the pitch is a major no-no... and you'll get scorned if you do...

Now can we start talking about the upcoming game?

InTheCrowd
04-25-2009, 07:33 AM
On subject but not at BMO, Tortorella was showered with a beer during an arguement with a fan last night, it may not be the sole reason but the fan was tossed.....AND, unless you were watching this part of the newscast you won't hear of this event again, unlike beer tossing at BMO that keeps getting regurgitated by the media.

I sit in the front row of my section and I am getting tired of the beer showers. Give them a warning then toss the mothers.

Yes, I agree. Last season I watched a game in 104 (yes I'm embarrassed) and some guy was way high up and throwing beer down. There were a lot of children there and the beer was landing on people because he was to far from the field. Don't throw beer people.

FluSH
From what I said that's not what I was hoping people would pay the most attention to. It was just an observation and I'm pointing out I saw it done last game as well.

P.S - He was right in the middle of it right beside the drum. I think he was RPB. Anyone some friends tapped him on the back like well done? Ridiculous, I think he was wasted though. :D

What row do you sit at? Are those your regular seasons... I'm trying to put a face to your avartar...

CretanBull

You didn't, I was just making it clear that 112 doesn't automatically mean RPB.

InTheCrowd
04-25-2009, 07:35 AM
You didn't, I was just making it clear that 112 doesn't automatically mean RPB.

A bit random but ok. Anyway this guy was in the middle of it all and my assumption is that he is RPB. But then again maybe he isn't.

scooter
04-25-2009, 07:36 AM
the word just has to get out on the street --- toss a beer = automatic ejection and loss of seats

this kind of shit makes us all look bad

i want to support my team not deal with this bull

CretanBull
04-25-2009, 07:37 AM
A bit random but ok. Anyway this guy was in the middle of it all and my assumption is that he is RPB. But then again maybe he isn't.

Not random at all, it's an important distinction to make especially for all the lurkers here (media included) who like to read things like that and use it against us. As a group we have a policy about throwing beer: we don't do it. Our members are held accountable.

FluSH
04-25-2009, 07:40 AM
the word just has to get out on the street --- toss a beer = automatic ejection and loss of seats

this kind of shit makes us all look bad

i want to support my team not deal with this bull

That's exactly what happened in 111 last game... someone was kicked out (I believe they got the wrong guy) but they kicked someone out alright.

If you ask me the bad precendent started with the streamers... That was the first cherry popped that gave everyone a taste for throwing stuff unto the pitch.

Now that we have stopped doing the streamer thing... some drunks are looking to show their displeasure by throwing the next closest thing...

So maybe we need to encourage streamers once again... as a stress reliever.

FluSH
04-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Not random at all, it's an important distinction to make especially for all the lurkers here (media included) who like to read things like that and use it against us. As a group we have a policy about throwing beer: we don't do it. Our members are held accountable.

Excatly... InThecrowd himself was in 112 and he is still not showing RPB member status... at least not yet. :D

Pookie
04-25-2009, 07:51 AM

That's exactly where I was going with this.

I know the RPB Charter and your stance on it.

I think there are two missing pieces from this equation.

1) Do beer tossers actually lose their seats? What is BMO's stance on it? (perhaps Paul or Security would comment (forget the chap's name)

2) The punishment should be made public for those tossed to make it common knowledge

What I liked about the flare throwing was outlined above. People were caught with the help of fans and the punishment is very clear and severe (in terms of jail potential and loss of seats).

No reason that couldn't help eradicate the issue with beer throwing.

YSE_TopBoy
04-25-2009, 07:54 AM
I remember there was a beer thrower a couple of rows in front of me in 112 last game. People like this make all of us look bad. After somebody makes a stupid decision to throw beer onto the field the fans from the rest of the league never let us hear the end of it. Not to mention what the media says about us, and you guys know that better than I do. My suggestion:

If you want to throw something, throw words.

or the tomahawk overhand of a nice "who are yah"

PS. First post :canada::drinking:

Wildgreek
04-25-2009, 08:04 AM
who in there right mind would throw an overpriced beer at someone... drink up the beer and donate the $12 to the cnib.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-25-2009, 08:06 AM

I know for a fact...the dude who threw the beer in 112 last game WAS NOT RPB!

end of!:drinking:

YSE_TopBoy
04-25-2009, 08:07 AM
who in there right mind would throw an overpriced beer at someone... drink up the beer and donate the $12 to the cnib.

or at least drink the beer and throw the cap as a frisbee :noidea: ........ oh gawd i sense a new corner routine ;):yum::drinking::D

YSE_TopBoy
04-25-2009, 08:08 AM
I know for a fact...the dude who threw the beer in 112 last WAS NOT RPB!

end of!:drinking:

It was me , but that wasn't beer;)

......jokes.....:D

cementhead
04-25-2009, 08:09 AM
I hear beer shower are good for the hair!No but throwing beer is pain in the ass f#ck to all the beer thrower I hate smelling like a brewerie and I don,t drink!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-25-2009, 08:10 AM
I hear beer shower are good for the hair!No but throwing beer is pain in the ass f#ck to all the beer thrower I hate smelling like a brewerie and I don,t drink!

only way i like my beer showers at the game is when TFC score!:D

YSE_TopBoy
04-25-2009, 08:23 AM
only way i like my beer showers at the game is when TFC score!:D

Watch out a clownbus troll might mistake that for golden showers:smilielol5:

RedMAN127
04-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Maybe security needs to start carrying red cards, people breaking rules should get one, made visible by the secuirty gaurd to deswade others, and the recipiant gets ejected with a one game ban.

Beer throwers, seat standers, etc.,

Maybe Headhoncho can comment but if BMO/MLSE doesn't take this stuff seriously than it will continue to happen.

P.S. in S.127 an opposing player was hit by a beer .. picked it up and cheers'd the crowd before taking a gulp. lmao ... but it is still not cool.

J .
04-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Beer showers dont maim. Flares are bad in this environment. Maybe if the first row just lit up a few and put them onto the concrete that would look good. But chucking them in the wind is silly.

Banning people for throwing a beer is stupid. They deserve admonishment. Punishment should fit the scope of the crime.

ExiledRed
04-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Beer showers dont maim. Flares are bad in this environment. Maybe if the first row just lit up a few and put them onto the concrete that would look good. But chucking them in the wind is silly.

Banning people for throwing a beer is stupid. They deserve admonishment. Punishment should fit the scope of the crime.

The beer throwers have invited collective punishment on the rest of the fans.

Fuck them, hope they get banned permanently, from all MLS stadiums, before I lose anything else from the gameday experience.

grimm
04-25-2009, 05:53 PM
I am not an angry guy, n'or a small guy... the next person I see throw something other than a streamer on the field will be thrown on the field themselves. With that, their dignity close behind. Not kidding, tired of it.

InTheCrowd
04-25-2009, 05:53 PM
The beer throwers have invited collective punishment on the rest of the fans.

Fuck them, hope they get banned permanently, from all MLS stadiums, before I lose anything else from the gameday experience.

Exactly. It hurts all of our reputations. The media eyes us poorly and the rest of the league think we're stupid hooligans.

nimamalek
04-26-2009, 09:56 AM
while once in a few games I see a beer go flying, in the Crew game against Chicago, during the second half I saw about 10 beers and water bottles fly at blanco. The linesmen had to actually stop the corner at one point because he was hit with a beer. I think with us its an isolated incident usually during games when the team is performing poorly and fans are frustrated

InTheCrowd
04-26-2009, 09:58 AM
while once in a few games I see a beer go flying, in the Crew game against Chicago, during the second half I saw about 10 beers and water bottles fly at blanco. The linesmen had to actually stop the corner at one point because he was hit with a beer. I think with us its an isolated incident usually during games when the team is performing poorly and fans are frustrated

And the Crew fans actually make fun of our beer throwing. Pathetic. :mad: