PDA

View Full Version : Cummins to remain on sidelines/Carver in Pressbox

LucaGol
04-24-2009, 05:14 PM
As per Fan590 afternoon updates ...

... discuss

H Bomb
04-24-2009, 05:14 PM
makes sense considering wednesday. These guys tend to have a stick to what's working mentality.

InTheCrowd
04-24-2009, 05:17 PM
If we win again. :D

I think Carvers taking it to far now. Is it his choice or was there an actual suspension/ban. I mean if it's his choice I think he's being stupid. We all say you can't get all mad after 1 loss but you can't go on being ridiculous like staying in the press box because you won one game in there. If it's his choice to be there he's being ridiculous.

Fushida
04-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Coaching of the future? :noidea:

ensco
04-24-2009, 05:19 PM
OK let's hear from all you people who thought I was making something out of nothing.
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=12473

Something important is going on behind closed doors.

Beach_Red
04-24-2009, 05:34 PM
OK let's hear from all you people who thought I was making something out of nothing.

What do you think it miht be?

flatpicker
04-24-2009, 05:37 PM
maybe Carver has some sort of virus that requires him to stay close to a bathroom?

ensco
04-24-2009, 05:42 PM
What do you think it miht be?

Best guess is that Mo and Carver have had a blowup.

This is too beautiful: Cummins got to keep his shirt!!!!!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-24-2009, 05:43 PM
its a promotion all around....cummins to coach....JC to GM....MO....back to RANGERS! :)

Rocco
04-24-2009, 05:45 PM
maybe he's alergic to Ricketts

Beach_Red

Yeah, I wondered about that. In the interview during the Chivas game Mo made it clear that he thought the roster was good - as any GM would, I guess, but that does make you think he wasn't happy with the way the coach was using that roster. And then changing it up and beating an unbeaten team.....

TorontoBlades
It's kind of putting a North American spin on coaching. He may be on to something here.

In American football, a lot of the Offensive Co-ordinators remain in the press box, to view the product on the field better and make adjustments in the play calling.

Maybe Carver is better suited to vision the game from a higher vantage point and keep communication with Cummings at field level, whom may be better with the players, but surely better with the officiating.

Marco2K
here is my breakdown.

From up top he gets to watch how the game is breaking down. He can talk to Cummins whenever needed.

Also maybe it has something to do with his temper. We all know the reffing in this league is not acceptable. So like this he can yell and scream as much as he wants without chance of suspension.

Bottom line is we need to win games. Whatever it takes

InTheCrowd
04-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Maybe Carver is better suited to vision the game from a higher vantage point and keep communication with Cummings at field level, whom may be better with the players, but surely better with the officiating.

here is my breakdown.

From up top he gets to watch how the game is breaking down. He can talk to Cummins whenever needed.

Seriously, we can't make these assumptions after one game.

TorontoBlades
04-24-2009, 05:49 PM

maybe Carver has some sort of virus that requires him to stay close to a bathroom?

maybe he's alergic to Ricketts

do you prefer these ones after one game? ;)

InTheCrowd
04-24-2009, 05:56 PM
do you prefer these ones after one game? ;)

Those aren't implying that Carver is in there for our success.

MUFC_Niagara
04-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Sam Alldardyce use to do this all the time at Bolton if I am correct. The 1st half of every game he watched from the stand and Sammy Lee was in the coaches area relaying everything to the field. Then big Sam would come down for the 2nd half. Other managers have done it and its more common in the UK.

ensco
04-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Sam Alldardyce use to do this all the time at Bolton if I am correct. The 1st half of every game he watched from the stand and Sammy Lee was in the coaches area relaying everything to the field. Then big Sam would come down for the 2nd half. Other managers have done it and its more common in the UK.

People keep bringing this up. Going upstairs to watch the game is absolutely legitimate, and has nothing to do with what's interesting here.

Carver didn't do the press conference postgame, and he's not the one announcing this. We'll see who does the KC pre- and post-game press conferences.

Big Sam and the others remain in control, when they go upstairs.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 06:08 PM
If we win again. :D

I think Carvers taking it to far now. Is it his choice or was there an actual suspension/ban. I mean if it's his choice I think he's being stupid. We all say you can't get all mad after 1 loss but you can't go on being ridiculous like staying in the press box because you won one game in there. If it's his choice to be there he's being ridiculous.

I think there was a suspension...it just has not been announced...2 games

lets see how the KC match goes....cooler weather, thunder storms...another

typical TFC home game...

DRock
04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I hope Cummins keeps doing the post press conference, i loved his one liners

Shakes McQueen
04-24-2009, 07:20 PM
My guess is still that it's nothing. Carver did the press scrum the day before the Chivas match.

Perhaps Carver is making a conscious effort to stay away from the officials and media for a little while. That seems to be the most reasonable explanation, to me. And perhaps he liked the view the press box gave him.

I've never heard of a coach being "incrementally" removed from his job, by moving him to the press box first, so I highly doubt that's the case. :D

Given all of the criticism heaped on the team, and his blow up with the referees, taking a break from the public eye would make sense for him.

- Scott

wzhxvy
04-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I will be pleasantly surprised if he puts a different starting lineup on Sunday...my guess is he will go with same line up as well...I mean following Carver's usual logic he will wear the same underwear etc...I dont really care where he sits as long as he is effective...

sulfur
04-24-2009, 07:47 PM
I think there was a suspension...it just has not been announced...2 games
if it was an MLS suspension, it would be on either the discipline page or in a press release.

if it was an MLSE suspension, he would've done the post-game press conference.

drewski
04-24-2009, 07:48 PM
I tend to think its either

Perhaps Carver is making a conscious effort to stay away from the officials and media for a little while.

or

makes sense considering wednesday. These guys tend to have a stick to what's working mentality.

napoli73
04-24-2009, 07:49 PM
I guess he must be tired of the refs and maybe the media questions are getting on his nerves

boban
04-24-2009, 07:52 PM

I was with you from the outset. I believe so also.

rocker
04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Carver's probably just superstitious... it worked for the Chivas game, so he'll do it again for the next. He always seems to stick with what works :)

jabbronies
04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Cummins pre game:
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=561

LucaGol
04-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Cummins pre game:
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=561

I think this is honestly the first time I've ever heard Chris Cummins speak.

jabbronies
04-24-2009, 08:38 PM
he did the post game presser after the last game as well

sulfur
04-24-2009, 08:38 PM
what scares me is how uncannily like Carver he looks and sounds. :)

InTheCrowd
04-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Carver's probably just superstitious... it worked for the Chivas game, so he'll do it again for the next. He always seems to stick with what works :)

I do consider this as a possibility. A ridiculous one at that! But all in all I think he's trying to avoid ref's and media etc.

LucaGol
04-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Right now, I don't care who's on the touchline ... as long as we use the Chivas game as the blueprint for how we should play for the remainder of the season.

InTheCrowd
04-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Right now, I don't care who's on the touchline ... as long as we use the Chivas game as the blueprint for how we should play for the remainder of the season.

We have to work to our advantages and our opponents weaknesses. The same play won't work against every team.

Cambridge_Red
04-24-2009, 08:50 PM
We have to work to our advantages and our opponents weaknesses. The same play won't work against every team.

Exactly...

LucaGol
04-24-2009, 08:53 PM

I think you misunderstood me.

By blueprint, I mean work ethic.

LucaGol
04-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Exactly...

No team in any league on this planet changes style of play on a game to game basis depending on what opponent they're playing.

If you're a good squad, other teams will have to adapt to you.

That being said, you still need to allow room for flexibility.

Cambridge_Red
04-24-2009, 08:57 PM
No team in any league on this planet changes style of play on a game to game basis depending on what opponent they're playing.

Yeah I sort of agree, I think you set your squad to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses. TFC is hardly in a position (through what I've seen) to be arrogant enough to be forcing other teams to adapt to them. Remember Seattle? Starting the same players on past merrit (Cause charlie played well) is stupid as fuck.. Remember when a couple internationals lost their places in the lineup last year? It was the beginning of the end.

LucaGol
04-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah I sort of agree, I think you set your squad to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses. TFC is hardly in a position (through what I've seen) to be arrogant enough to be forcing other teams to adapt to them. Remember Seattle? Starting the same players on past merrit (Cause charlie played well) is stupid as fuck.. Remember when a couple internationals lost their places in the lineup last year? It was the beginning of the end.

I agree.

But the underlying theme of your team should still be ever present regardless of who takes the field. I.e. Hard work, pressure the ball in defense, solid simple passing game and support play on offense. This should be the blueprint.

Cambridge_Red
04-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I agree.

But the underlying theme of your team should still be ever present regardless of who takes the field. I.e. Hard work, pressure the ball in defense, solid simple passing game and support play on offense. This should be the blueprint.

We're in agreement :D

InTheCrowd
04-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I think you misunderstood me.

By blueprint, I mean work ethic.

Work ethic is fine by me. We played well last game and I'd love if we keep that hard work up!

Are you serious? Where in the world have you been?

Roogsy
04-24-2009, 09:58 PM

I am sort of inclined to believe this. I think we are making more of this than there is.

mastermixer
04-24-2009, 10:42 PM
what is this... the mafia? why is this all being done so secretly. anytime they've asked someone about it its like they were gonna get wacked if they said anything about it. So bizarre!

Brooker
04-24-2009, 11:40 PM

/me gives ensco a cookie

SanStarko
04-25-2009, 06:30 AM
Don't see the big deal myself. He's doing what hundreds upon hundreds of other managers/head coaches around the world do and watching the game from the main stand. Gives him a better viewpoint and stops him spending 90% of the game shouting in the 4th officials ear, and thus getting himself more fines.

InTheCrowd
04-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Don't see the big deal myself. He's doing what hundreds upon hundreds of other managers/head coaches around the world do and watching the game from the main stand. Gives him a better viewpoint and stops him spending 90% of the game shouting in the 4th officials ear, and thus getting himself more fines.

Honestly I don't care about how many fines he gets because those are due to his own dumb decisions to mouth off at referee's. I just want a successful club. If staying in the press box will win us many games I'm 100% fine with it, but because it worked with one game doesn't mean it will work with any others.

ensco
04-25-2009, 07:31 AM
/me gives ensco a cookie

ensco like!

must be said that ensco not prone to putting up posts like that when he is wrong, which he (gulp) sometimes is

LucaGol
04-25-2009, 07:39 AM

I think the main issue is not that Carver is in the pressbox ... but that everyone surrounding the situation is acting so strange about it.

James Oliphant
04-25-2009, 08:37 AM
I think the main issue is not that Carver is in the pressbox ... but that everyone surrounding the situation is acting so strange about it.

Indeed. Cummins saying Carver has his reasons, but that he (Cummins) doesn't want to talk about them, Cummins doing all the press this week, Carver suddenly becoming a recluse...it all points to something being not quite right.

mlsintoronto
04-25-2009, 10:25 AM
ensco like!

must be said that ensco not prone to putting up posts like that when he is wrong, which he (gulp) sometimes is

Hmmmm....expect more cookies today, Ensco.

SanStarko
04-25-2009, 12:18 PM

Whoops, I'll be completely wrong then. If I had a cookie I'd mail it off to ensco.