PDA

View Full Version : MLS Expansion after 2011

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 03:26 PM
After the Caps and Timbers come in 2011, the east will be 2 teams shorter then the West....Which Eastern cities should join in??

flatpicker
04-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Montreal would be an easy choice.

kitchener-TFC
04-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Montreal, so we can have more "encounters" with them. The second team...Miami?

spezz44
04-24-2009, 03:33 PM
why is MTL not on the list?

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Got to get the Rowdies back in somehow....I would have added mOntreal but they have shot themselves in the foot...

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
04-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Toronto City FC Followed by Inter St.Clair then a Team on the danforth Then Sporting Caledonia..... oh shit hey i think we should just abandon the MLS and expand toronto? with stadiums in every neighbourhood ......

flatpicker
04-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Danforth Athena FC?

rocker
04-24-2009, 03:43 PM
a team at New Lamport would be awesome :)
North side of the Gardiner vs South Side :)

i can see the fights breaking out in the Go Train tunnel ..........

bangersandmash
04-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Danforth Athena FC?

2nd.

grizzle
04-24-2009, 03:53 PM
That list needs more Canadian options. What would really be great is another Ontario team (Kitchener/Waterloo, Ottawa, Kingston, London... who knows).

boban
04-24-2009, 03:55 PM
why is MTL not on the list?
Look at who made the poll.
That should answer your question.

boban
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM
I would have added mOntreal but they have shot themselves in the foot...
You can't kill yourself with a shot to the foot.
It heals and Montreal will rise again.

Pachuco
04-24-2009, 03:59 PM
It may not matter, Garber says we may not see expansion again until 2018.

M.L.S. will add Philadelphia next season and its 17th (Vancouver) and 18th (Portland) clubs in 2011. But 19 and 20 may not come until 2018, the commissioner said.

If this is true, then it doesn't matter what we think now, because 9 years is a hell of a long time for owners to flop, cities to change, etc.

Canary Canuck
04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
It may not matter, Garber says we may not see expansion again until 2018.

M.L.S. will add Philadelphia next season and its 17th (Vancouver) and 18th (Portland) clubs in 2011. But 19 and 20 may not come until 2018, the commissioner said.

If this is true, then it doesn't matter what we think now, because 9 years is a hell of a long time for owners to flop, cities to change, etc.

Garber is the king of posturing. As long as there's teams losing money in MLS there will be a need for an expansion fee cash injection. Garber's posturing is just meant to signal to prospective owners that the ship is leaving town so they better pony up while they still can.

Eastend
04-24-2009, 04:09 PM
I was in Miami last week and on a side trip to South Beach I noticed that almost everyone had a football.....and not the pointy kind. Miami COULD be a good choice.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 04:10 PM
You can't kill yourself with a shot to the foot.
It heals and Montreal will rise again.

yes you can if you dont get the problem fixed....Saputo is a problem MLS dont need...Now if Gilette came in on his own and left Saputo out , i would say give Montreal a team...but while Saputo theres...No

egoodwin
04-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Rochester because Montreal hates them and what a fuck you that would be to the Impact to see both their rivals go to MLS

Canary Canuck
04-24-2009, 04:24 PM
yes you can if you dont get the problem fixed....Saputo is a problem MLS dont need...Now if Gilette came in on his own and left Saputo out , i would say give Montreal a team...but while Saputo theres...No

And where is he gonna play?? :rolleyes:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-24-2009, 04:49 PM
rochester

bhoybobby
04-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Montreal, Rochester can't draw flies to shit. Montreal should've been in already. Move FC Dallas to Hamilton, give Montreal a team & everyone else can fuck off

tovan
04-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Montreal should be on that list. Sure, they shot themselves in the foot during the last round but Saputo and Garber know they need one another. Gov't money won't hurt either if Saputo can get funding to help with expansion of his stadium.

Beach_Red
04-24-2009, 05:32 PM
And where is he gonna play?? :rolleyes:

Molson Stadium right downtown.

I don't understand why no one else is looking to do this and tap the Montreal market.

Of course, they can't even find someone to buy the hockey team....

Cristiano14
04-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Got to get the Rowdies back in somehow....I would have added mOntreal but they have shot themselves in the foot...

THE ROWDIES ARE BACK.... at least in USL-1 along with FC new york (new USL expansion teams)

http://www.tbrowdies.com/home/

Cristiano14
04-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Toronto City FC Followed by Inter St.Clair then a Team on the danforth Then Sporting Caledonia..... oh shit hey i think we should just abandon the MLS and expand toronto? with stadiums in every neighbourhood ......

thts the point of CSL lol

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Montreal, Rochester can't draw flies to shit. Montreal should've been in already. Move FC Dallas to Hamilton, give Montreal a team & everyone else can fuck off

FC dallas at Ivor Wynne? thats all MLS needs is more pointy ball lined fields...Hamilton could support a USL team Div 1 but need a SSS and
thats not likely in the Steel city.

Redcoe15
04-24-2009, 06:06 PM
After the Caps and Timbers come in 2011, the east will be 2 teams shorter then the West....Which Eastern cities should join in??
A poll about MLS expansion and no Montreal, the obvious choice. I'd expect that from this Montreal hating wingnut. I recommend this thread be closed down.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 06:43 PM
A poll about MLS expansion and no Montreal, the obvious choice. I'd expect that from this Montreal hating wingnut. I recommend this thread be closed down.

why should Montreal even be considered after what they pulled? If you want more Canadian cities...lets try Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg
They are no more a risk the Montreal...Montreal may have the stadium, but they lack a quality owner...by the way you do know Saputo is trying to Bid on the Montreal canadians do you? for a guy that tried to lowball the MLS, he sure found the extra money to go after the Habs?:eek:

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 06:45 PM
THE ROWDIES ARE BACK.... at least in USL-1 along with FC new york (new USL expansion teams)

http://www.tbrowdies.com/home/

Go to see them back....maybe in the future MLS will be their League..

Bdking2
04-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Montreal is the clear choice.

ExiledRed
04-24-2009, 06:53 PM
How controversial

no montreal on the list......

yawn.......

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Montreal is the clear choice.

MLS doesnt seem to think so or they would be in?...With Toronto and now vancouver in....smart money on the next two east frachises will be stateside...and the Limpact still in USL

boban
04-24-2009, 07:49 PM
MLS doesnt seem to think so or they would be in?...With Toronto and now vancouver in....smart money on the next two east frachises will be stateside...and the Limpact still in USL
Who's smart money?
Yours??

Pluhease!!!!!!!!

Montreal only didn't get in because it lost a game of poker.
It was 1 round. Garber will sees he needs them more so.
MLS wants them in, make no mistake about that. They are just pissed they can't make Saputo his bitch.

Redcoe15
04-24-2009, 08:28 PM
why should Montreal even be considered after what they pulled? If you want more Canadian cities...lets try Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg
They are no more a risk the Montreal...Montreal may have the stadium, but they lack a quality owner...by the way you do know Saputo is trying to Bid on the Montreal canadians do you? for a guy that tried to lowball the MLS, he sure found the extra money to go after the Habs?:eek:
Why? Because Montreal IS a soccer market, contrary to your childish, immature beliefs, and the other cities you mentioned aren't in the same catagory.

And yes, I am aware that Saputo is bidding on the Habs. He's a businessman free to make his own decisions, like his bid for an MLS team. Yes he was foolish to lowball his offer, but if he's learning from his mistakes, there's no reason to blackball him from entering the league. Of course, you'd come up with plenty of douchey excuses to leave him out. But, then again, you've proven to have the mental capabilities of a small child with ADD.

Redcoe15
04-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Who's retarded money?
Yours??

Pluhease!!!!!!!!
FIXED!!! :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Why? Because Montreal IS a soccer market, contrary to your childish, immature beliefs, and the other cities you mentioned aren't in the same catagory.

And yes, I am aware that Saputo is bidding on the Habs. He's a businessman free to make his own decisions, like his bid for an MLS team. Yes he was foolish to lowball his offer, but if he's learning from his mistakes, there's no reason to blackball him from entering the league. Of course, you'd come up with plenty of douchey excuses to leave him out. But, then again, you've proven to have the mental capabilities of a small child with ADD.

childish insults you have to be a Leaf fan...Montreal a soccer market thats questionable....they lost the NASL Manic...The Impact went out of the USL before jumping back in....before you mention the crowd at Olypmic stadium....would the same amount of people turned out had they hosted the 2nd leg having been badly beaten in the first...highly doubtful..Montreal is full of gloryhunters...they are there when winning...
but losing...?/ just ask the expos how thier fans were loyal during the
hard times!!! Montreal minor league city.. !! Montreal did not support Canadas games well during wcq....

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Who's smart money?
Yours??

Pluhease!!!!!!!!

Montreal only didn't get in because it lost a game of poker.
It was 1 round. Garber will sees he needs them more so.
MLS wants them in, make no mistake about that. They are just pissed they can't make Saputo his bitch.

Just let Montreal wait...MLS wouldn't collapse cause Montreal is not in the League...however the Impact might not be able to wait so long...If its
just to Be Toronto and Vancouver thats good...:canada:

Cashcleaner
04-24-2009, 10:48 PM

Oh Lord...must...control...urge..to...kill...

Look, this may sound strange and confusing to some people, but it doesn't actually take much work to switch a team from one conference to another for the sake of parity. Seriously. And furthermore, the number of teams playing in either conference has absolutely no bearing on which team is awarded an MLS franchise.

Fuck, I wish people stopped thinking that the league's conference format is cast in stone. All it takes is a pencil with a rubber eraser to fix any parity issues.

kodiakTFC
04-25-2009, 04:50 AM
I have a VERY hard time believing any expansion city possible would be a bigger success ratings/ticket sales/merchandise wise than Montreal. It is a cash cow waiting for someone like Saputo to divvy up for.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Oh Lord...must...control...urge..to...kill...

Look, this may sound strange and confusing to some people, but it doesn't actually take much work to switch a team from one conference to another for the sake of parity. Seriously. And furthermore, the number of teams playing in either conference has absolutely no bearing on which team is awarded an MLS franchise.

Fuck, I wish people stopped thinking that the league's conference format is cast in stone. All it takes is a pencil with a rubber eraser to fix any parity issues.

but with MLS trying to cut expences having a west cost team move to the eastern conference would be counter to that...So its more likely
future expansion will see at least 2 east coat teams or 1 east and 1 mid west like Minnesota.

Vince Whirlwind
04-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Montreal and a New York Cosmos franchise.

Red Bulls can then move their ass over to St. Louis.

london_tfc_fan
04-25-2009, 11:30 AM

mighty im just wondering why you would exclude montreal when they are pretty much a sure bet and secondly YANKEES BLOW!! Go Jays:canada:

Cristiano14
04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Montreal and a New York Cosmos franchise.

Red Bulls can then move their ass over to St. Louis.

The rights to the cosmos name etc. are owned by someone who used to be involved in the cosmos orginization. I agree there really shud be another cosmos, but first who ever owns the rights needs to sell them or use them.

ilikemusic
04-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Is there no way Mighty's posting privileges can be revoked? Or at least severely limited? :noidea:

I would vote if the obvious response were listed.

None of those places is more likely than Montreal to get a team after 2011.

Vince Whirlwind
04-25-2009, 01:40 PM
The rights to the cosmos name etc. are owned by someone who used to be involved in the cosmos orginization. I agree there really shud be another cosmos, but first who ever owns the rights needs to sell them or use them.

Yeah, as far as credibility/excitement level goes instilling a NY Cosmos franchise might get people in the NY area excited once again by pro soccer.

You needn't go full on bananas like the old team, but a big name a la Beckham would go along way to MLS really making inroads into a huge market waiting to happen (again).

For those too young to remember, the old Cosmos could regularly draw crowds in excess of 50,000 a match, so you know at least the potential is there. The NYRBulls seem an exercise in everything wrong as it pertains to marketing.

I'm certain the name Cosmos might be costly, but it might be worth it for MLS on a reputation level as there's never been a North American footie team more synonymous with success and prestige.

Cashcleaner
04-25-2009, 03:11 PM
but with MLS trying to cut expences having a west cost team move to the eastern conference would be counter to that...So its more likely
future expansion will see at least 2 east coat teams or 1 east and 1 mid west like Minnesota.

Travel expenses are the least of the league's worries when it comes to franchise viability. It will have absolutely no impact on what city gets a club. There are far more costly things to worry about - airfare is pocket change compared to the league's marketing and promotional budget.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-25-2009, 06:30 PM
mighty im just wondering why you would exclude montreal when they are pretty much a sure bet and secondly YANKEES BLOW!! Go Jays:canada:

wasn;t Montreal a sure bet this time round? where are they now?

Yankees 27 World Chmapionships cant be bad? im 99.75 % sure

Montreal wont be in next time either.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Is there no way Mighty's posting privileges can be revoked? Or at least severely limited? :noidea:

I would vote if the obvious response were listed.

None of those places is more likely than Montreal to get a team after 2011.

You dont think MLS would go south next time? Montreal did themselves no favor with the MLS board and this will keep them out for a while yet.

Redcoe15
04-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Just let Montreal wait...MLS wouldn't collapse cause Montreal is not in the League...however the Impact might not be able to wait so long...If its
just to Be Toronto and Vancouver thats good...:canada:
What a laugh. You were saying not too long ago that Vancouver shouldn't be allowed in MLS. And yet, after the league granted them a team for 2011, they sold 5,000 seat deposits for seasons tickets in 48 hours. It's obvious you think everyone here is stupid enough to believe in your shit.

Bottom line, Montreal IS going to get in sooner than you think. All the cities you listed don't have their shit together the way Montreal's has. Don't like it? Nobody cares! :p

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-25-2009, 06:56 PM
What a laugh. You were saying not too long ago that Vancouver shouldn't be allowed in MLS. And yet, after the league granted them a team for 2011, they sold 5,000 seat deposits for seasons tickets in 48 hours. It's obvious you think everyone here is stupid enough to believe in your shit.

Bottom line, Montreal IS going to get in sooner than you think. All the cities you listed don't have their shit together the way Montreal's has. Don't like it? Nobody cares! :p

I stand by that , that vancouver should not be in, they did not or do not
have any SSS on the go, which TFC had to have to get into the league,
BC place is not soccer friendly dispite all the nice pictures the whitecaps
propoganda officals produce...MLSE could have wanted to play in the Dome if SSS are no longer deemed important by the League... Im sure
TFC could pull in 30,000 a game if playing at the Dome...It doesnt matter
if people believe or not just my opinion........

Redcoe15
04-25-2009, 07:21 PM
So, in your tiny little perfect Bizzaro world, Montreal doesn't deserve an MLS team, Vancouver doesn't deserve an MLS team, and Ottawa, which has had a bad history of supporting their sports teams, including the Ottawa Intrepid of the old Canadian Soccer League, should be welcomed with open arms.

Nice. It's obvious you start the day off with a big heaping bowl of stupid for breakfast.

MG42
04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Rochester for road trip purposes only

Cristiano14
04-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, as far as credibility/excitement level goes instilling a NY Cosmos franchise might get people in the NY area excited once again by pro soccer.

You needn't go full on bananas like the old team, but a big name a la Beckham would go along way to MLS really making inroads into a huge market waiting to happen (again).

For those too young to remember, the old Cosmos could regularly draw crowds in excess of 50,000 a match, so you know at least the potential is there. The NYRBulls seem an exercise in everything wrong as it pertains to marketing.

I'm certain the name Cosmos might be costly, but it might be worth it for MLS on a reputation level as there's never been a North American footie team more synonymous with success and prestige.

yeah the Cosmos were amazing, selling-out giants stadium regulary and really making football popular in america. They even had Pele, Beckenbauer in his prime, chingalia, and possibly cryuff. If new yourk is to have a legitimate team, it has to be the COSMOS. The reason redbulls are shit all around is cuz ther named after an energy drink, no1 will ever take that seriously...

FCBarcelona
04-26-2009, 07:57 AM
===
For get Atlanta , there ice hockey team draws poorly and the Old Atlanta Chiefs SC were around for one year.

Rodchester is an interesting team .....

MLS has said St.Louis would be "ideal city" so bring back the Steamers!

Montreal and St.Louis for me

Yohan
04-26-2009, 07:59 AM
===
MLS has said St.Louis would be "ideal city" so bring back the Steamers!

steamers... do i need to say more about this? lol

Redcoe15
04-26-2009, 10:29 AM
steamers... do i need to say more about this? lol
That's Cleveland you're talking about. ;)