PDA

View Full Version : So Many Empty Seats & Fairweather Fans

sidney
04-23-2009, 02:16 PM
The last few games (and many last season as well) have shown a hell of a lot of empty seats at these supposedly "sold-out" games. Looks terrible on TV. Gotta be a downer for our lads. Are we worthy of our "best fans in MLS" rep? What's the deal?

As I live in London, season's tickets are not feasible for me, but it's impossible to buy single game f-ing tickets...and then I see tonnes of empty seats...pisses me completely off!

MUFC_Niagara
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Last night the ground was full....

rocker
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
i actually didn't think last night was that bad for a weeknight game.
at about the 20 minute mark the east stand was pretty full, and the south end was totally full.

sidney
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
not on tv it wasn't full...not even close (and not just at the beginning of each half). remember red chairs aren't people...living in London season's tickets are not feasible for me, but it's impossible to buy a single game f-ing ticket...and then I see tonnes of empty seats...pisses me completely off!

Parkdale
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM

attendance (according the paper this morning) was 19,900 or so.

there were lots of empty seats, and those people all suck because that was a great game.

Ageroo
04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
I looked around and I was very surprised...I thought it was a great turnout.....

TFCREDNWHITE
Sidney,

They announced 19,915 fans....

The real figure of actual bums in seats was probably around 17,000

17,000 for a MIDWEEK, cold and wet night game is amazing for this league!!

Fort York Redcoat
The last few games (and many last season as well) have shown a hell of a lot of empty seats at these supposedly "sold-out" games. Looks terrible on TV. Gotta be a downer for our lads. Are we worthy of our "best fans in MLS" rep? What's the deal?

I don't know about you.

I am.

rocker
04-23-2009, 02:20 PM
not on tv it wasn't...not even close (and not just at the beginning of each half). remember red chairs aren't people

I was at the game, I sit in the west stand.

At the 20 minute mark the east stand was pretty much full. And no empty seats in the south end that I could see. I can't see the whole west stand, but that's not on TV either.
There were also a tonne of people standing in the north end, which means 200 people weren't sitting in their assigned seats.

I'm closer than you were, so maybe you mistook RED JACKETS for chairs ;)

dantdot
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
A lot of people can't make weeknight games and some casual fans are scared off by the weather. Won't be a problem this weekend, 26C :O

MUFC_Niagara
I was at the game, I sit in the west stand.

At the 20 minute mark the east stand was pretty much full.

I'm closer than you are, so maybe you mistook RED JACKETS for chairs ;)

That's what I thought too....and the players would have the same perception as us. So to answer sidney's question....the players thought it was full too...even Tyler Hemming (though he wasn't there)!!!

Yohan
Sidney,

thought it was 3/4 to 4/5 full myself

there was like 2 entire rows of empty seats behind me

so no hinderance or guilty feeling for me to stand during most of the game haha :D

nimamalek
04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
a lot of people move down to the south end as well

mastermixer
04-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Sidney,

exactly!! shows what die-hard TFC fans we have.

nfitz
04-23-2009, 02:24 PM
not on tv it wasn't full...not even close (and not just at the beginning of each half). remember red chairs aren't people...living in London season's tickets are not feasible for me, but it's impossible to buy a single game f-ing ticket...and then I see tonnes of empty seats...pisses me completely off!I can see where you're coming from - though there were over 300 tickets in all sections on Ticket Exchange for the last few days. So decently priced tickets weren't hard to come by yesterday.

rocker
04-23-2009, 02:25 PM

the south end always looks too packed.... very dense...

also, people always forget that so many stand in the north end during the game. there are no tickets there... so those people's real seats are empty.
not to mention at any given time 300-500 people are strolling the concourses or taking a leak.

i actually thought attendance was better than I expected. I was guessing 18000-18500 just from looking around but I can't see the Upper deck west side from my vantage point.

sidney
04-23-2009, 02:26 PM
even Tyler Hemming (though he wasn't there)!!!

I think you have a bro-mance with TH, as you seem to mention him at any opportunity...Niagara is the honeymoon capital afterall...good luck in your hot pursuit

OneLoveOneEric
04-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Looked pretty full to me by midway through the first half from where I stand in 114. Not capacity, but better than it has been other rainy week nights.

UltraFootyKWC
04-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I thought it was pretty full as well. I really couldn't see much of the white maple leaf on the east side, which I thought was good considering it was a weeknight game and the weather wasn't the greatest. Where I was in the south stand, it was packed shoulder to shoulder.

Eastend
04-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I was unable to attend last night so watched on TV and the east stand was MAYBE 2/3 full...and that's generous......having said that, the place was loud, or that's how it came through on TV.

ballerz
04-23-2009, 02:30 PM
1.) Start all night games at 8:00 pm or 8:30 pm

For someone holding down a 9-5 job, it is very difficult for someone to leave work at a reasonable time, get ready for the game, and be at BMO for 7 or 7:30 pm. When you have 3 night games in a span of 4 weeks, it is unreasonable to ask a fan to leave work early

2.) Concessions must be at least 2x quicker

It has been 2 years and they did not figure out that beer can be pre-poured. The cashier should not be running between cash and the kitchen to get food. There should be a 2 person team at each cash - one cashier + one runner. There is no need for the concession manager to stand behind the cash to do nothing.

3.) Get a system in place to allow fans to get in faster

There is always a bottleneck 10 minutes before the game. We should have a scan card system for SSH so that we can swipe our way into the stadium. Use Gate 2 on the east side. Why build it if you don't plan on using it?

4.) Listen to the traffic report

Delay the start by up to 15 minutes if there are any traffic problems in the area

Eastend
04-23-2009, 02:32 PM
but 8-8:30 start times are a killer when it means you get home @ midnight and you have to get up at 5am to go to work.....but I do see your point, fortunately I work downtown.

Suds
04-23-2009, 02:32 PM
as mentions above ... probably about 17,000 in the stadium for last nights game which is still very good for a cold & wet Wednesday night.

beer garden had a good crowd and all the corporate boxes looked full last night too

MUFC_Niagara
04-23-2009, 02:40 PM
I think you have a bro-mance with TH, as you seem to mention him at any opportunity...Niagara is the honeymoon capital afterall...good luck in your hot pursuit

It's actually in reference to the hissy fit threads you started when he was released....they were comical and my mentioning him is a ballbust.

Dale_Rojo
04-23-2009, 02:42 PM
17,000 GOOD? i was sitting at home with 4 friends watching the match cussing at the east end for leaving 10 mins before the game ended. There were groups of 2,3. seats empty everywhere. Its clear how bad the scalpers are....... How many of you guys passed scalpers on your way to the stadium and did nada.??? The "Canadian" in you really does not help with this problem..... Make their life hard and miserable whenever you can.:cool:

MUFC_Niagara
04-23-2009, 02:44 PM
17,000 GOOD? i was sitting at home with 4 friends watching the match cussing at the east end for leaving 10 mins before the game ended. There were groups of 2,3. seats empty everywhere. Its clear how bad the scalpers are....... How many of you guys passed scalpers on your way to the stadium and did nada.??? The "Canadian" in you really does not help with this problem..... Make their life hard and miserable whenever you can.:cool:

Well, you were at home watching the match cursing people for leaving early that were there. There was tickets being offered on here as well as ticketmaster. You'dknow how many scalpers were about if you had gone to the game. How every Canadian of you not to go. Pony up before you bitch.

maninb
04-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Sidney,

Damn straight...and nobody should be complaining about not being able to get tickets...i got a pair at 4pm yesterday in 108...nice seats too..

sidney
04-23-2009, 02:45 PM
It's actually in reference to the hissy fit threads you started when he was released....they were comical and my mentioning him is a ballbust.

"ballbust" and "bro-mance" don't go well together in the same post.

dupont
04-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Too bad for you that you were watching it on TV then.. because the stadium was awesome and by far the loudest game this season.
I'm sure the boys on the team were loving every minute of it and not counting the empty seats like you were.

BleedRed
04-23-2009, 02:47 PM
attendance (according the paper this morning) was 19,900 or so.

there were lots of empty seats, and those people all suck because that was a great game.

Amen to that! Greatest time of my life! NEE fuckin rock! and the rpb rock the house on the other side lets not forget every other SP who play their role...totally kick ass performance from everyone last night! . You guys were great last night! Anyone who wasnt there last night missed out....sadly..

MUFC_Niagara
04-23-2009, 02:47 PM
"ballbust" and "bro-mance" don't go well together in the same post.

It was by far my favourite sidney moment, the Tyler Hemming thread...lol.

sidney
04-23-2009, 02:49 PM
many more good sidney moments to come...

...btw...I'm not criticizing the real tfc-fans/rpb'ers...you were there and damn loud!...I'm criticizing the lame-asses where weren't there and the scalper-bastards!

Dale_Rojo
04-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Damn straight...and nobody should be complaining about not being able to get tickets...i got a pair at 4pm yesterday in 108...nice seats too..
WHERE WHERE WHERE..... i want to know???:noidea:

MUFC_Niagara
04-23-2009, 03:00 PM
WHERE WHERE WHERE..... i want to know???:noidea:

on here and ticketmaster....there were lots of tickets

Dale_Rojo
04-23-2009, 03:04 PM
on here and ticketmaster....there were lots of tickets

wow. i checked tm a couple days ago and nothing :mad:

justin
04-23-2009, 03:08 PM
i was supposed to be there but couldn't make it. thank you MLS for scheduling a mid week game smack dab in the middle of my exam week.

Yohan
04-23-2009, 03:11 PM
i was supposed to be there but couldn't make it. thank you MLS for scheduling a mid week game smack dab in the middle of my exam week.
sounds like a personal problem :p

i had to rush from work to game. i even forgot to wear proper pants.

not that i minded too much. i hate pants

Section 110
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry Sidney, stands were pretty full. People were remarking about it all game because there was maybe an expectation that there would be a lot of empty seats; not the case. GReat game, too. We may have a team on our hands after all.

kitchener-TFC
04-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Where I was in the south stand, it was packed shoulder to shoulder.
It looked crazy packed on TV.:canada:

I was unable to attend last night so watched on TV and the east stand was MAYBE 2/3 full...and that's generous......having said that, the place was loud, or that's how it came through on TV.
I noticed this too. You could actually hear the chants, whereas I usually only hear drums, and parts of chants.

Oor Wullie
04-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I was impressed with the amount of people at this game, the crowed looked great for a wet ,cold midweek game. I stood with my son in the beer garden ( yes he is of age). The place was packed and loud too. My seasons seats are in 105 but I don't go there, I enjoy standing when watching footy:D

nfitz
04-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Damn straight...and nobody should be complaining about not being able to get tickets...i got a pair at 4pm yesterday in 108...nice seats too..There were some absolutely excellent seats available on ticket exchange! There had been many for days - and were over 300 tickets available all day yesterday in all sections and prices.

Chevy
04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Crowd was full, loud and fantastic! The thrown flares were dissapoining, but only one beer was tossed (not bad for a night game).

Pachuco
04-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I can't see the East Side since I sit there, but the West side sure look full to me. I remember thinking at one point if you take the people in the bear garden, there's probably no empty seats.

19,900 fans for a rainy wednesday game is excellent if you ask me.

dantdot
04-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Panorama from what looks like 111 from sometime in the first half.
Warning: It's HUGE.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fizik/3468274558/sizes/o/

CenturySam
04-23-2009, 04:33 PM
i went with a few buddys and 2 of them got tickets off the 'scum' for 25 bucks each, and he started asking 2 for 75. we said no and started to walk, then he got a little desperate and took 25 each. maybe they won't keep so many seats next year and another hundred or two season seats will be freed up for some real supporters!

sidney
04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
There were some absolutely excellent seats available on ticket exchange! There had been many for days - and were over 300 tickets available all day yesterday in all sections and prices.

Thanks for this info...good to know for future games.

Whoop
04-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Yeah, there were a tonne of tickets available even here.

I couldn't get rid of my extra ticket yesterday.

BRed
04-23-2009, 04:43 PM
This weekend will be a true test of how much fans hsow up...Great weather, Great previous game and red shirt at zellers =$5

Dbl_D
04-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Sidney,

remember it was COLLLLD... (I think -2 with wind chill) I'm amazed at the attendance... loud and hardcore... I thought for sure it would have been like the 1st year TFC vs Houston match... great showing if I do say so myself... :canada:

TFC USA
04-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Warning: It's HUGE.

At least that's what you told her. :D:p:hump:

Blizzard
04-23-2009, 05:59 PM

For someone holding down a 9-5 job, it is very difficult for someone to leave work at a reasonable time, get ready for the game, and be at BMO for 7 or 7:30 pm. When you have 3 night games in a span of 4 weeks, it is unreasonable to ask a fan to leave work early

It has been 2 years and they did not figure out that beer can be pre-poured. The cashier should not be running between cash and the kitchen to get food. There should be a 2 person team at each cash - one cashier + one runner. There is no need for the concession manager to stand behind the cash to do nothing.

There is always a bottleneck 10 minutes before the game. We should have a scan card system for SSH so that we can swipe our way into the stadium. Use Gate 2 on the east side. Why build it if you don't plan on using it?

Delay the start by up to 15 minutes if there are any traffic problems in the area

My two cents on this:

1) 8:30 is too late. I could live with 8. 7:30 is a great improvement on 7.

2) Concessions. Don't buy. I rarely do and if I do, it is pre-game.

3) Gate 3a (I think it is) is generally very quick. Too many supporter's line up at 3 when they could move 30 yards to their left and get in very quickly.

Point taken though.

4) Impossible. Television schedules can't deal with delays like that very easily. They'd scream bloody murder and I'd agree and sympathize with them.

B

dantdot
04-23-2009, 06:04 PM
At least that's what you told her. :D:p:hump:

:o :dita:

GBV
04-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Too bad for you that you were watching it on TV then.. because the stadium was awesome and by far the loudest game this season.
I'm sure the boys on the team were loving every minute of it and not counting the empty seats like you were.

yep...awesome crowd...wish there were more night games than there are.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-23-2009, 06:58 PM

sorry the 8pm ko suck for fans travelling outside the GTA trying for Bus connections...either make all games 7:30 pm weekday KO or have all home matches Saturday afternoons 3pm KO..

james
04-23-2009, 07:10 PM
there has been alot of empty seats at every game this year. There is several reasons for this, some fans just dont come out when its cold or rainy. some fans buy every season tickets but then cant make it to every game because of other comitments and then there is also loads of scalpers. Scalper problem could be solved, but the cops dont do anything about it. I dont know how we can force fans to stop being babies when it comes to weather!

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-23-2009, 07:14 PM
there has been alot of empty seats at every game this year. There is several reasons for this, some fans just dont come out when its cold or rainy. some fans buy every season tickets but then cant make it to every game because of other comitments and then there is also loads of scalpers. Scalper problem could be solved, but the cops dont do anything about it. I dont know how we can force fans to stop being babies when it comes to weather!

its like this in every sport...took in the Leafs rangers game at the acc this
season, the one where the leafs made a good comback:mad: anyhoo there had to be,2-3,000 empty seats for the who night....it happens

GBV
04-23-2009, 07:17 PM
will there ever be a goal scored on the south-end net?

tml
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM

The south End Looks full because people are Standing..when people stand the section(s) look full...if everyone would have been standing last night it would have looked 101% sold out!!

AL-MO
04-23-2009, 07:41 PM
will there ever be a goal scored on the south-end net?

Yeah I was thinking the same.

NEE have it great at the moment! :p

tml
04-23-2009, 07:48 PM
its like this in every sport...took in the Leafs rangers game at the acc this
season, the one where the leafs made a good comback:mad: anyhoo there had to be,2-3,000 empty seats for the who night....it happens

ever watch the Calgary Flames home games...not an empty seat to be scene!!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-23-2009, 07:59 PM

but what else do Calgarians have to to do? the fact their team does well also helps? would the saddledome still be full if they were as bad as the leafs?

nfitz
04-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for this info...good to know for future games.The catch though, is that you have to be a full or partial season holder to buy them. However, surely most people know one well enough to get them to buy them.

Nestease
04-23-2009, 11:40 PM

The greater Toronto area is 6x larger than Calgary. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of unlimited parking and zero traffic. We also have another pro team playing the same night in the blue jays. Some people can't make it to the game in time after battling rush hour traffic home, to the game, and in the parking lots.

Ratven
04-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Who are these people? I swear to god... people just come out of the woodwork to bitch about something or other. Shut up. No one cares about your observations regarding attendance... ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU WEREN'T THERE.

Cashcleaner
04-24-2009, 12:13 AM

As I live in London, season's tickets are not feasible for me, but it's impossible to buy single game f-ing tickets...and then I see tonnes of empty seats...pisses me completely off!

Let me get this straight.

You're giving people grief for not being able to make it out to BMO for a game during the middle of the week, and you yourself weren't there? I apologize if I'm mistaken, but it sounds like you watched the game on television and I gotta call you out if its true.

Plenty of people had tickets for sale on here the ticket trader for the game and some ended up not being able to offload them - myself included. One might say it wasn't impossible at all to get tickets.

Here's the thing - not everyone can make all TFC games. Some of us work evening hours. Some of us live outside the GTA. Some of us just don't have the cash. Before labelling anyone a fairweather fan ask yourself where the fuck you were on Wednesday.

grimm
04-24-2009, 12:19 AM

A job that provides me with money to pay for my seasons. Jobs that keep people away on Wednesdays and Sundays. Dinner with the family... normal shit. Jesus, just shut up already, a giant Homer style booooooooooooooo to you sir!

zeelaw
04-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Naw man, not from the tv i was watching:noidea:

Ratven
04-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Naw man, not from the tv i was watching:noidea:

Who cares.

We were louder than any night prior... if THAT doesn't tell you that we're anywhere but on the decline in terms of supporters, then I don't know what does.

Hey, do me a favor, look up some EPL teams and their attendance averages, you'll see they don't always sell out either, and you tell me they have shit fans, and don't even try to talk about MLS attendance.

Oh one last thing, shut up if you weren't there.

Thanks.

ilikemusic
04-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Stadium looked packed from my view near the top of 111.

The idea of the players being demoralized by the empty seats you were seeing is downright laughable. :lol:

3) Gate 3a (I think it is) is generally very quick. Too many supporter's line up at 3 when they could move 30 yards to their left and get in very quickly.

Where is gate 3a?

Is gate 3 the one that is in the southeast corner?

It would be good to know for next time. I usually enter from that gate, its moves at a decent rate, but it would be nice to not have to wait at all.

Ratven
04-24-2009, 12:35 AM

The idea of the players being demoralized by the empty seats you were seeing is downright laughable. :lol:

But the TV showed empty seats! Oh my god!

I mean, don't take into account the fact that at least a thousand or so, if not more, pack the beer garden and have to leave their seats to do so to watch the entire game.

Mark in Ottawa
04-24-2009, 07:01 AM
not on tv it wasn't full...not even close (and not just at the beginning of each half). remember red chairs aren't people...living in London season's tickets are not feasible for me, but it's impossible to buy a single game f-ing ticket...and then I see tonnes of empty seats...pisses me completely off!

Remember that getting to and from the concessions takes quite a bit of time @ BMO and so when they take a shot of the stands after the half the picture is misleading. Also the field level seats may be corporate and so those fans may be in a box to keep warm... or in the beer garden ;)

Seasons not feasible?
There are many of us "out of towners" who have purchased partial packs.
6 games does not a season make but once a month is better than not at all :thumbsup:

Weekday evening also means that some folks just can't get to the games easily... like us out o townies (what was that we started calling ourselves... the 75 mile bastards :D)... people with kiddies who have to get up for school the next day.

nfitz
04-24-2009, 07:28 AM
I mean, don't take into account the fact that at least a thousand or so, if not more, pack the beer garden and have to leave their seats to do so to watch the entire game.Which is true every game. But there were a LOT of empty seats showing up on the East Side in the TV broadcast on Wednesday - compared to when I looked at the playback from the opener, when it appeared much fuller.

Who are these people? I swear to god... people just come out of the woodwork to bitch about something or other. Shut up. No one cares about your observations regarding attendance... ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU WEREN'T THERE.What on earth is your problem! If no one is interested, no one would be here discussing it. Are you trying to deny reality? Some kind of Stalinist view on the world?

greatwhitenorf
04-24-2009, 08:28 AM
I know four seats in 105 that were empty because we were with them in the beer garden prior to the game and they stayed there for the first half. Their seats were wet and they couldn't be arsed to line up for the washroom to get paper to dry the off.

Most of the people in the beer garden - and it was very busy - are seat holders who choose to enjoy watching the game from a different angle. And the east side had the wind blowing rain into their faces and wetting the seats at half time. People like my friends went for a stroll. Doesn't mean they weren't there.

And Ratven, you're absolutely right when you mention the phenomenal atmosphere. One of the best game nights we've enjoyed since Day 1.

brad
04-24-2009, 08:56 AM
but what else do Calgarians have to to do? the fact their team does well also helps? would the saddledome still be full if they were as bad as the leafs?

Yes, there were plenty of open seats at the Saddledome for nearly a decade.

Average NHL attendances since 1989

http://andrewsstarspage.com/NHL-Business/NHL-attendance.htm

I see Flames attendance averages dropping between 1997 and 2005 to the 15k to 16k mark.

I don't follow hockey, so I don't know if that period corresponds with the team doing poorly or not. I would hardly cite them as an example of attendances though.

sidney
04-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Which is true every game. But there were a LOT of empty seats showing up on the East Side in the TV broadcast on Wednesday - compared to when I looked at the playback from the opener, when it appeared much fuller.

What on earth is your problem! If no one is interested, no one would be here discussing it. Are you trying to deny reality? Some kind of Stalinist view on the world?

Amen brother...

rocker
04-24-2009, 09:21 AM
there were a LOT of empty seats showing up on the East Side in the TV broadcast on Wednesday - compared to when I looked at the playback from the opener, when it appeared much fuller.

At the 20-30thth minute or so, the east stand (the stand on TV) was pretty much full according to my eyes (I sit directly across).

This means at some point, all the people with those seats were there.

Now, if you want to do a minute by minute TV analysis of the east stand, go ahead, but as we know, sometimes people leave for the washroom, sometimes people go to the north end, sometimes people go get a Scotch Egg and get stuck in a 20 minute lineup, sometimes people sneak into the south end, sometimes people think "damn it's cold, my little t-shirt will not keep me warm" and leave etc etc.

The south end (3000 people at least) was packed all game.. denser than it should be. I saw this with my own eyes.

Brooker
04-24-2009, 10:03 AM

you sitting at home doing your part.

tickets were beyond easy to get for this game.

don't tell us what to do or how to act when you dont even make the effort to go to the game.

TFC OZZ
04-24-2009, 10:05 AM
What you have to keep in mind is that the stands don't fill up until 15-20 minutes (as mentioned above), and about 10 minutes after half-time because a lot of people go into the VIP section or the concessions to get food. The other important thing to note is how a lot of people watch from the standing area in the north end as opposed to going to their seats. Overall, I was very impressed with the turnout, especially for a midweek game. I thought there were easily 17,000-18,000 people there

nfitz
04-24-2009, 10:10 AM
I know four seats in 105 that were empty because we were with them in the beer garden prior to the game and they stayed there for the first half. Their seats were wet and they couldn't be arsed to line up for the washroom to get paper to dry the off.

Most of the people in the beer garden - and it was very busy - are seat holders who choose to enjoy watching the game from a different angle. And the east side had the wind blowing rain into their faces and wetting the seats at half time. People like my friends went for a stroll. Doesn't mean they weren't there.

And Ratven, you're absolutely right when you mention the phenomenal atmosphere. One of the best game nights we've enjoyed since Day 1.Hmm, interesting. I wonder also if more East side ticket holders decided to stay home because of this.

Oh well, Tickets for Sunday seem pretty sparse - even with the rain that is now forecast!

e-karam
04-24-2009, 10:10 AM
A lot of people move into the south end, and lets not forget there is always at least 1000 people on the beer patio.

TFC Via Buffalo
04-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Remember that getting to and from the concessions takes quite a bit of time @ BMO and so when they take a shot of the stands after the half the picture is misleading. Also the field level seats may be corporate and so those fans may be in a box to keep warm... or in the beer garden ;)

Seasons not feasible?
There are many of us "out of towners" who have purchased partial packs.
6 games does not a season make but once a month is better than not at all :thumbsup:

Weekday evening also means that some folks just can't get to the games easily... like us out o townies (what was that we started calling ourselves... the 75 mile bastards :D)... people with kiddies who have to get up for school the next day.

I was there Wed. NO EXCUSES!!!!! :) 75 Mile Bastards roll on!!!!!

And we were rocking on Wednesday. Not sure how Dallas was because it's the first game I've missed in over a year, but we were a HELL of a lot better then Seattle. I hope it continues on Sunday because that means we've hit a nice stride.

Maple Leaf Red
04-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Check the ticket trader and Ticket Master.

There were tonnes of tickets available and no takers even as prices fell. Not being able to get one is no excuse. You're just not trying.

GBV
04-24-2009, 12:46 PM
wednesday's crowd was great. a work night, cold as eff, rain threatening etc.
the "empty seats" are visible pretty much every game. especially for the first 20 minutes or so. lots of people just hang out in the beer tent instead of at their seats.
while you might want to fault that idea, the guys in front of us -- who are never in their seats -- said there are eight of them total and they couldn't get season seats together.
they want to watch together and can do so at the beer tent.
and given the beer/piss lines are so long and slow before games and at halftime, people leave periodically to try to "beat" the line-up.
it is what it is.

Niall
04-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Crowd was really good on Wednesday!

Couple of things though:

Tickets were extremely easy to get for this game. I showed up late (Part-time supporter...haha) Actually I had to wait for a friend to give them a ticket so. While waiting in anger as the line ups were being announced a couple of scalpers came up to me trying to sell 3 tickets for 20 bucks!

Amount of tickets available online (Here and ticket trader) was huge for this game.

Please don't complain about not being able to get to the match, just try a little harder.

Also lots of people buy seats and sit in the south stands regardless of what is printed on the ticket. Beer garden accounts for quite a few as well.

Stop complaining, come to the match and get mental!!

Roll on Sunday!!

ChrisFizik
04-24-2009, 09:19 PM
defo a great showing all weather, night, things considered ..... agree on point about thought it might be like that Year 1 Houston game..ha

tickets available via scalpers etc, so what, get ppl in

and ha, hope you all liked my pano pic there ...

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 09:28 PM

I see Flames attendance averages dropping between 1997 and 2005 to the 15k to 16k mark.

I don't follow hockey, so I don't know if that period corresponds with the team doing poorly or not. I would hardly cite them as an example of attendances though.

Even My Bruins dropped to 12,000 a few years back...TFC attendance is fine..the 3 home games to this point you would not really want younger kids out in that...but the crowds have been there...we dont need a dome
to keep us happy!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-24-2009, 09:38 PM

Sid i live in Brantford and have had season tickets since they first went on sale in 2006...Yes its a problem sometimes with travel but its worth it,
for most home matches...even the afternoon ones...i dont get back to brantford till 12:20 am, i usually have a 3-3.5 hr wait over in Hamilton
waiting for the greyhound...which is a pain in it self if you have ever been to the Go transit/Greyhound terminal there. You can always deal with a scalper, they are struggling this year...and most times you can get tiks for face value or TFC release tickets the day of which pisses the scalpers off more..as people are now getting this....You look at every club in world football their attendance differ from game to game...TFC is no different...
3 home matches.....3 cold damp days....would your rather our stadium look like the Crew stadium with 6,000 odd paying customers...no we are fine...

egoodwin
04-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same.

NEE have it great at the moment! :p
nothing tops the goal celebration where Dichio ran to the 127 corner and held up the corner flag in our direction, as commemorated in Carmine's 2-stick

Blizzard
04-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Where is gate 3a?

Is gate 3 the one that is in the southeast corner?

It would be good to know for next time. I usually enter from that gate, its moves at a decent rate, but it would be nice to not have to wait at all.

No, it's south. Right behind the south goal (if the stand wasn't in the way).

Usually very quick. There will hundreds at the south-east and maybe a couple of dozen at the south.

Note: I think it's 3A but either way, it is the very south end so you really can't miss it. :)

zeelaw
04-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Who cares.

We were louder than any night prior... if THAT doesn't tell you that we're anywhere but on the decline in terms of supporters, then I don't know what does.

Hey, do me a favor, look up some EPL teams and their attendance averages, you'll see they don't always sell out either, and you tell me they have shit fans, and don't even try to talk about MLS attendance.

Oh one last thing, shut up if you weren't there.

Thanks.
He buddy dont tell me to shut up. You think I like to see empty seats?
Some of us don't live in Toronto and can't make it to every game so dont call my support credentials into question you clown.

dag
04-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I won't be at Sunday's game - I have to attend my niece's First Communion, and I wasn't able to sell my ticket. :(

Bloor West FC
04-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Wow just imagine if tfc were playing now! That would have been awesome, the wind would carry the ball instead of the players LOL.

ilikemusic
04-25-2009, 04:24 PM
No, it's south. Right behind the south goal (if the stand wasn't in the way).

Usually very quick. There will hundreds at the south-east and maybe a couple of dozen at the south.

Note: I think it's 3A but either way, it is the very south end so you really can't miss it. :)

Good to know.

Cheers!

rocker
04-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Wow just imagine if tfc were playing now! That would have been awesome, the wind would carry the ball instead of the players LOL.

that wind was crazy.. i saw scaffolding go flying off a condo being built nearby... and the crane was shaking.

we're lucky that we've never had a postponed game yet. but it woulda happened today

tml
04-25-2009, 06:09 PM

the last 3-4 years I'm sure they have sold out every game..maybe back in the 90's..but last little while 19 289 @ every game...tickets sold & attended..they have prob one of the lowest no show factors in the league..

Canadian Blue
04-25-2009, 06:22 PM

I am just confused of why living in London prevents season tickets from being feasible? Many of us travel from distance to go to games and events......your locale is hardly a way to hide you procratination....:driving::auto:

arbogast
04-25-2009, 06:48 PM
My feelings on this subject are thus:
I don't think it's fairweather fans causing the empty seats per se.

1) A lot and I mean a lot of people crash seats in 111/112/113

2) A lot of folks also stand in the Carlsberg area rather than be forced to sit

MFBODD
04-26-2009, 11:24 AM
My feelings on this subject are thus:
I don't think it's fairweather fans causing the empty seats per se.

1) A lot and I mean a lot of people crash seats in 111/112/113

2) A lot of folks also stand in the Carlsberg area rather than be forced to sit

To your point...
I sat in 127 last match because there was an entire row empty and my friend and I wanted to see what it was like watching from that spot. Yeah, you need a ticket to get into the game, so all those people in the Carlsberg area are leaving a seat behind somewhere.

Hustle
04-28-2009, 01:40 AM
So the question is, does the Carlsberg Patio help or hinder the atmosphere on game day?

Ratven
04-28-2009, 02:07 AM
So the question is, does the Carlsberg Patio help or hinder the atmosphere on game day?

Doesn't make a difference.

arbogast
04-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Doesn't make a difference.

I think it makes a difference on tv only since people leave empty seats in the prawns to stand in the patio and crash the south end.

T-Bird
04-28-2009, 08:13 AM

Techno and I are in there pretty much every game! Our seats are in 225 and although they are great there is no better place in BMO to be than the Carlsberg Pit when Toronto scores in the first half

nfitz
04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
The patio is a nice idea - but I think proper north-end seats would enclose the field more, and add to the atmosphere of the stadium. Shame the Food building is in the way.

Chewy Unikronik
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I think it makes a difference on tv only since people leave empty seats in the prawns to stand in the patio and crash the south end.

Who cares about what it looks like on TV if you're there in person? We're too caught up in appearances and trying to seem like we're the hippest, coolest, loudest fans. Just enjoy the match!

The patio is a nice idea - but I think proper north-end seats would enclose the field more, and add to the atmosphere of the stadium. Shame the Food building is in the way.

I hope they keep it just the way it is. If you want more seats, complete the 2nd level around the south and east ends, filling in the gaps betwixt.

Afra
04-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Just a heads up - I will be a fairweather fan next game. I will have my 2 1/2 year old son with me. He is somewhat interested in the game but it pales in comparison to the police horses and tractors outside BMO. I will be leaving my seats early in the half to get my boy out where he will not get crushed when the big crowds come out. Also, we will leave early so I can get off the grounds and have an easy ride home versus an extra 45 minutes to get out of the lot.

In his defense, he knows about 6 or 7 chants but was a little scared to bust them out the last game I brought him to (we got a ticket from Flush for 112 last season before he was 2 and thus before he needed his own ticket). He will have his RPB gear on and maybe they will let him take another couple of hits on Red Thunder like last time. We will not tell people to be quiet or sit down - that I promise.

I just want to apologize in advance as some people take offense to this type of behaviour.

arbogast
04-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Who cares about what it looks like on TV if you're there in person? We're too caught up in appearances and trying to seem like we're the hippest, coolest, loudest fans. Just enjoy the match!

I hope they keep it just the way it is. If you want more seats, complete the 2nd level around the south and east ends, filling in the gaps betwixt.

i dont give a shit what it looks like on tv, I'm just saying it just appears empty when the stadium is not.

MFBODD
04-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Just a heads up - I will be a fairweather fan next game. I will have my 2 1/2 year old son with me. He is somewhat interested in the game but it pales in comparison to the police horses and tractors outside BMO. I will be leaving my seats early in the half to get my boy out where he will not get crushed when the big crowds come out. Also, we will leave early so I can get off the grounds and have an easy ride home versus an extra 45 minutes to get out of the lot.

In his defense, he knows about 6 or 7 chants but was a little scared to bust them out the last game I brought him to (we got a ticket from Flush for 112 last season before he was 2 and thus before he needed his own ticket). He will have his RPB gear on and maybe they will let him take another couple of hits on Red Thunder like last time. We will not tell people to be quiet or sit down - that I promise.

I just want to apologize in advance as some people take offense to this type of behaviour.

I don't see any reason why you have to apologize for anything.

egoodwin
04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
you don't need a stand to chant

what's needed in the patio is a group of people to get the chants going in there and not stopping...

for those who don't currently have seats in a supporter section the beer garden is your chance to be in one legitimately... afterall it's crowded, has everyone standing, all it's missing is the chanting... and it doesn't take bleachers to chant...

sure a drum or flags would help in there... but I don't see that happening

point is though, if all those in 104/105/109 etc want to stand and chant but can't in their own section, they should just gather as a group in the beer garden, share capo duties and get the chants going all game long...

nfitz
04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
How is the view in the back of the beer garden during the game? It would be great if your in the front, but I've always figured you wouldn't have much of a view if you were further back - unless you were of above average height.

Pookie
04-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Why does it look empty?

Start of Game - simply a function like most sporting events. Not everyone gets there on time. Slow security. You'll find your answer there.

Start of the 2nd Half - I think it is a function of a couple of things. 1) Slow concessions and inadequate washroom facilities. 2) There is no warning that the half is starting... no clocks, 2 minute bell, etc...

nfitz
04-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Start of Game - simply a function like most sporting events. Not everyone gets there on time. Slow security. You'll find your answer there.I don't think security is really that much of an issue most weeks. I've been arriving on the GO train that arrives 11-minutes before the hour ... and have been in my seat before the anthem, after having gone through Gate 1 (and last week through the longest line I'd ever seen at Gate 1). Late fans would be the primary reason.

AdamZ
04-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Oh come off it, is this a joke? We all know football (sorry, soccer) isn't that huge in North America. You can't count on 20,000 plus at every game like you can with hockey, it's just not going to happen.

Many clubs in Europe have a lot of empty seats when the team isn't doing well. TFC has one of the biggest and most dedicated fanbases in the MLS, that's good enough. Things can always be better, but as of right now, I doubt any TFC players were feeling abandoned listening to that roaring noise at BMO Field from such passionate supporters on an (I gather) wet, cold weeknight.

Attendance was better on Sunday than for the Chivas game.

AdamZ
04-28-2009, 03:43 PM

This is true.

Afra
04-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't see any reason why you have to apologize for anything.

Me neither. I am just being a dick and messing with some Registered Users who don't come to the games but do bitch and moan that the seats are empty. While their asses are on their couch, I don't want them to worry about why my ass is not half way up 109.

egoodwin
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
it's not like you have a good full view of every little thing in the supporters sections anyways

I usually do my bit during the game and catch as much as I can, while catching the bits I miss online after

Talorcan
04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
IF people are seeing empty seats in the stands the reason is not non attendance.

People have moved to the patio and the supporters sections, but one issue not mentioned is many people are stuck in a line up at the friggin concessions and washrooms....

I had to wait 8 minutes for a freaking pork wrap after paying.
I had to get the manager to deal with it.
What does it take to put some precooked pork in a wrap and toast it?!!?

That is why the seats are not all full.

twistedchinaman
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM

Wait until they suck, then it'll be back to being a library all over again.

I know. I've watched that damn fucking sad sack of a shit team for 19 years.

EDIT: NOW you know why I prefer watching a TFC match than try to get tickets for a Flames game?

AdamZ
04-29-2009, 01:30 AM
I know. I've watched that damn fucking sad sack of a shit team for 19 years.

It could be worse. We could be the Maple Leafs.