PDA

View Full Version : Chants from the south end

CoachGT
04-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Were amazing last night. From my seats in 224, it was the loudest and clearest I've heard. Most of the night the chants were in unison in at least three sections. It was amazing to see three sections jumping at one point.

And whatever was happening behind the net looked to be getting to Thornton. Late in the game on an offside/free kick he went to the sideline official and made a sweeping gesture to him back to the fans directly behind him. Pretty clear to see that he wasn't happy.

Spoiled by the flares - why do we need that at our home pitch?

But a great performance by all. Hats off to the capo! :D

phonzo
04-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Were amazing last night. From my seats in 224, it was the loudest and clearest I've heard. Most of the night the chants were in unison in at least three sections. It was amazing to see three sections jumping at one point.

And whatever was happening behind the net looked to be getting to Thornton. Late in the game on an offside/free kick he went to the sideline official and made a sweeping gesture to him back to the fans directly behind him. Pretty clear to see that he wasn't happy.

QFT.. sounded great from 104..little quiet at the start but towards the end look great. Won't lie NEE were pretty good too :)

Ron Manager
04-23-2009, 08:10 AM
I think fatty was actually complaining about the fact that Ricketts was warming up right behind the edge of the 6 yard box. Although I am sure Ricketts wouldn't have been saying anything or joining in any chants of course. ;)

Wagner
04-23-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm at the top of 116.
last night, because of how loud 112 was, the casuals around me were finally getting in on chants.

Ageroo
04-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I think fatty was actually complaining about the fact that Ricketts was warming up right behind the edge of the 6 yard box. Although I am sure Ricketts wouldn't have been saying anything or joining in any chants of course. ;)

You are right....he was gesturing to the official about Ricketts. Ricketts was actually at one point pretty close to the goal and was probably saying something to him.....Ricketts looked like he was having a laugh after he was told to move. We were all over Thorton though in the second half! :D

fetajr
04-23-2009, 08:30 AM
i was in the beer patio..the south end rocked and most of the stadium was following along... at some points though NEE were doing their own thing and not in sync with the south's lead, which lost alot of the stadium-wide chanting potential.... walkie talkies would help this

Daveisonfire
04-23-2009, 08:31 AM
The fact that the South end didn't have the wind to compete with really helped the sound travel. I'm sure there are other factors aswell, but that was the one I noticed the most.

TFC Cityboy
04-23-2009, 08:37 AM
115 was giving it large carrying the chants from 112.
Keep it up and let's be loud on a windless sunny day on Sunday.

Ageroo
04-23-2009, 08:40 AM

I agree....although I am right at the front of 115, it did seem like we were all doing our best last night.

tfc007
04-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Yesterday was fantastic,the chants were great,the rest of BMO was into it.I have been noticing this for awhile now, when we have weekday evenings games,it seems the crowd is a bit different. Overall great job to everyone.

Red Skies At Night
04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
who ate all the pies?
who ate all the pies?
you fat bastard!
you fat bastard!
you ate all the pies!

we started slow but 115 was rocking by the second half...

p.s. no offence intended to fat peeps... we're all friends here

Yohan
04-23-2009, 08:47 AM
sound travels better at night, so everything seems louder :)

C.Ronaldo
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
the west side of the south end was TERRIBLE.

and the west side stand up chant needs to be sung every ten minutes to keep the west side engaged. (it wasnt sung even once :( )

C.Ronaldo
04-23-2009, 09:08 AM
i was asked to sit.....i told the first timer that this is not baseball, stand like the rest of us and get into the game.

by the end, i think he got the point

this is section 120

greatwhitenorf
04-23-2009, 09:12 AM
South end of the upper deck was in fine form. Could hear noise coming from all around us. Best atmosphere of the season, hope it continues on Sunday, which should just be a perfect afternoon/evening for soccer.

Especially since KC play tonight and with less time to recover, plus travelling, should set us up for another good win.

flatpicker
04-23-2009, 09:21 AM
what a day for me to miss a game!

good work folks, sounds like you did well.

MrHawk
04-23-2009, 09:24 AM
who ate all the pies?
who ate all the pies?
you fat bastard!
you fat bastard!
you ate all the pies!

p.s. no offence intended to fat peeps... we're all friends here

Oh when the beans
Come from the can

Hilarious chant I heard up in 114.

Tezza
04-23-2009, 09:25 AM
I posted a few games ago that the south end wasn't as loud as it used to be. Last night was maybe the best I've heard in the stadium. I'm in 110 and at one point near the end of the game I looked across and even the people in 122/123 were throwing their arms in the air and chanting.

Great atmosphere last night...I'm sure the fact that we were playing so well and beating the hottest team in the league had something to do with it too. Here's hoping we can keep it up on Sunday.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm at the top of 116.
last night, because of how loud 112 was, the casuals around me were finally getting in on chants.
Awesome! The more people singing the better.

Fort York Redcoat
04-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks to Flush and Zack for making it as smooth a production as possible. Great night.

Suds
04-23-2009, 10:27 AM
YES YES YES!!! ... Great job in the south end last night! I was over in 105 last night and heard you all game. 127 ... always working hard and were good last night too.

TFC Cityboy
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Oh when the beans
Come from the can

Hilarious chant I heard up in 114.

Yes a 115 tradition always sung in the (Heinz) 57th minute at every home game...apparantly a Newcastle tradition...

Oh when the beans (oh when the beans)
come out the tin (come out the tin)
I wanna be by the toaster
Oh when the beans come out the tin.

Roogsy
04-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Coach! You gotta film that brotha! We never get to actually see it.

CoachGT
04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Little Red wasn't with me last night. Normally she has her camera and would film it. So it just means ya gotta do it again!

Hustle
04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I just finished watching the game on GOLTV....the chants were really well done last night! They were clear, very strong and the bass was amazing coming out of my sub from one of the drums....not sure whether it was red thunder or TRN.

Roogsy
04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah...I never really know which section is coming through on the TV. I know much of the time it's NEE because I recognize their preferred "beat". But sometimes, it changes up and I don't know if NEE is changing their rhythm or if they are picking up sound from our end.

Either way...it sounds great.

Dare I say...when our game is on, there is no atmosphere like it in MLS?

Would you all agree?

Nodoubtguy
04-23-2009, 11:02 AM

I agree....although I am right at the front of 115, it did seem like we were all doing our best last night.

wh

115 was rocking!!! I can't remember a time when I felt the whole section bounce like that.

dupont
04-23-2009, 11:14 AM
The atmosphere was tremendous last night! I think I'm going to focus on that instead of the 2 bad incidents because I the majority of the fans were really great yesterday.

Boris
04-23-2009, 11:15 AM
after said incidents i made sure i got 112 rocking...

jmorgs88
04-23-2009, 11:20 AM
i know im not the first to say it but 115 was absolutely rockin last night, great job to all the guys in the top right (where the beans chant starts) i come and tend to that balcony when the seats are open and yesterday was absolutely brilliant, slowly but surely the passion from the corner is movin over!

Phil
04-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Chivas keeper is fat. If he didn't know it, he knows it now. :D

AL-MO
04-23-2009, 11:32 AM

Really? I thought there was alot of room for improvement. But hey my first two games of the year were on the road...so a different perspective of sorts. :D

CoachGT
04-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Really? I thought there was alot of room for improvement. But hey my first two games of the year were on the road...so a different perspective of sorts. :D

Road games are special and different no matter how you measure. I think one of the best I've ever been part of was DC last year. We went pretty much the full 90, which I think was the first time I'd ever been involved for that long.

Last night, I had someone sitting with me who had never been to a game. He could hear every chant clearly, especially from 111/112/113. The massive was just that - massive! There were short pockets where things slowed a little, but most of the game things went very strong. Really, really impressive.

And I don't know if anyone heard Chad Barrett's quote about the fans this morning. He spoke about how our home was intimidating for any other team and how much having the fan support means to the boys.

Roogsy
04-23-2009, 12:33 PM
The massive was indeed great.

111 loves their massive! You can hear it clear as day on the broadcast.

My only request to my brothers in 111...please....PLEASE join us for chants other than the massive. If we get the "qu'est-ce que vous chantez" going...they are all over it. I mean a good 80% of the section joins in. But any other chant and you'd be lucky if 10% join in.

Al-Mo, not sure how much better you want it to get though my man. It was solid. Sure it can improve...but this is about as good as we've seen it in a long time.

TFC Cityboy
04-23-2009, 01:33 PM
i know im not the first to say it but 115 was absolutely rockin last night, great job to all the guys in the top right (where the beans chant starts) i come and tend to that balcony when the seats are open and yesterday was absolutely brilliant, slowly but surely the passion from the corner is movin over!

If you're a singer, sneak in whenever you can- there is always space at the top of 115 on the walkway.

I think slowly but surely 115 is getting there. It stands to reason that the section right behind the goal should be rocking from start to finish.
Keep listening for the 112 chants and pick them up and we'll get it all spread to the dead zone in the SW corner ;).

rocker
04-23-2009, 01:39 PM
not sure if that was the best game for chants (I still think the Montreal game last year was so intense for chants and crowd involvement). but my dad turned to me at one point and said "that's the loudest I've heard em."

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-23-2009, 02:13 PM
sound travels better at night, so everything seems louder :)

FACT!

ITs time we jump on board with the majority of MLS teams....and have our home games at NIGHT!

Yohan
04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
FACT!

ITs time we jump on board with the majority of MLS teams....and have our home games at NIGHT!
honestly. do you want to compete with Maple Laughs and Craptors games on Sats? imagine the traffic chaos too!

Gixmo
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM

My only request to my brothers in 111...please....PLEASE join us for chants other than the massive. If we get the "qu'est-ce que vous chantez" going...they are all over it. I mean a good 80% of the section joins in. But any other chant and you'd be lucky if 10% join in.

Al-Mo, not sure how much better you want it to get though my man. It was solid. Sure it can improve...but this is about as good as we've seen it in a long time.

There has been positive discussion in the 111 thread about getting on board with the south. I hope this weekend shows the fruits of our work.

Side note : Perhaps it's time to organize some sort of inter-section communication system. I hate to say it, but the BlackBerry Messenger system could be used... To simply get things off the ground and rollin, or get information moved over.

AL-MO
04-23-2009, 06:57 PM

I always want better Roogs. In my opinion we were loud but not very coordinated at times. Until FluSH took over it was a mess. (and he didn't even have a megaphone at the game)

The Massive is well...Massive and always will be. It definitely sounded great last night. I think we should maybe have a set amount of 'calls' to 111. So that everyone knows at any one time we will do 3 massives in a row. (for example)

And as I said I was just on two away trips where the chanting (well near me in Columbus) and drumming was fantastic, and its a little different at home.

AL-MO
04-23-2009, 06:59 PM
There has been positive discussion in the 111 thread about getting on board with the south. I hope this weekend shows the fruits of our work.

Side note : Perhaps it's time to organize some sort of inter-section communication system. I hate to say it, but the BlackBerry Messenger system could be used... To simply get things off the ground and rollin, or get information moved over.

If the focus could be taken off of TIOH and "Oh when the Reds" that would be a great start.

Oh and 111 has to lay off trying to START the Massive. It should always come from Zac and the 113 capo stand. (just better that way)

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-23-2009, 07:10 PM
i was asked to sit.....i told the first timer that this is not baseball, stand like the rest of us and get into the game.

by the end, i think he got the point

this is section 120

had 2 women first timers at BMo and i told them dont expect to be sitting, you have to stand in the supporters section...and they did..they really enjoyed it... there seems to be a lot of first timers in BMO recently??

TFC Cityboy
04-23-2009, 07:20 PM
first-timers are great, as long as they catch the TFC bug!

Gixmo
04-23-2009, 07:29 PM
If the focus could be taken off of TIOH and "Oh when the Reds" that would be a great start.

Oh and 111 has to lay off trying to START the Massive. It should always come from Zac and the 113 capo stand. (just better that way)

I agree - I'm on a partial pack though so I wasn't present last night. I posted in the 111 thread that the "Oh when the reds" is overdone, as did Flatpicker. It came from one guy during the Dallas game. I left quite a review in our thread, felt a bit bad for it.. but w/e we gotta move on to bigger and better

I will be up top with the Captain Canuck 2 stick - Please identify yourself AND I WILL keep an eye for you. As well, If you, or someone in the 112/113 area want to exchange BlackBerry pins, You can get my attention AHEAD of the Massive and I will SPREAD the joy... I'm literally on the top row and I don't mind screaming, We have ALOT of people up there who simply need direction, tis all!

So, If you want to coordinate, drop me a PM and I'll send you my BB pin and we'll fire it up - EASY AS PIE!

As said in the 111 thread - The word for Sunday is MONUMENTAL

AL-MO
04-23-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree - I'm on a partial pack though so I wasn't present last night. I posted in the 111 thread that the "Oh when the reds" is overdone, as did Flatpicker. It came from one guy during the Dallas game. I left quite a review in our thread, felt a bit bad for it.. but w/e we gotta move on to bigger and better

I will be up top with the Captain Canuck 2 stick - Please identify yourself AND I WILL keep an eye for you. As well, If you, or someone in the 112/113 area want to exchange BlackBerry pins, You can get my attention AHEAD of the Massive and I will SPREAD the joy... I'm literally on the top row and I don't mind screaming, We have ALOT of people up there who simply need direction, tis all!

So, If you want to coordinate, drop me a PM and I'll send you my BB pin and we'll fire it up - EASY AS PIE!

As said in the 111 thread - The word for Sunday is MONUMENTAL

I will be in 112 on Sunday attempting to keep the gigantic Red and Grey flag upright.

Sorry, I don't have a blackberry.

shepherd2
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Last night sounded great on the broadcast. There were a few times later in the game when it sounded like more than just the core south end was getting involved. There was one Seven Nation Army that really caught on.

Gixmo
04-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Fair enough, Look for the guy with hands on pole... :)

I'll watch for ya....

bones
04-23-2009, 08:27 PM
First of all I have to agree that this was probably our best.

Is there room for improvement? Hell ya, there's another 2/3 of the place that is quiet. As I tried to say to Boris (voice was completely shot post match) as we were entering the Go tunnel and everyone was singing "oh when the Reds...". I said, "great, you can sing, but why here? If you leave anything in the tank you're not trying hard enough during the match!!!!" Dammit, bring it during the MATCH!

Fantastic atmosphere in upper 110 by the way as heard from 112.

Bones...

Heathen
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM

I loved the way he pulls his shorts up, Butterbean style, to make it look like he's not a fat fucker

Mikey
04-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I loved the way he pulls his shorts up, Butterbean style, to make it look like he's not a fat fucker

"Don't eat the ball, chunky!"

Gixmo
04-23-2009, 08:55 PM
funny, I said the same to a buddy of mine who at the match - 'Thornton looks obese on TV...'

morgank1986
04-23-2009, 09:20 PM
If you're a singer, sneak in whenever you can- there is always space at the top of 115 on the walkway.

I think slowly but surely 115 is getting there. It stands to reason that the section right behind the goal should be rocking from start to finish.
Keep listening for the 112 chants and pick them up and we'll get it all spread to the dead zone in the SW corner ;).

I have seasons in the middle of 115, and I often make my way up to the balcony when it's open. being up there makes it easy to pick up a chant from the corner and move it west. 115 was fantastic last night. Well done.

kitchener-TFC
04-23-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm at the top of 116.
From personal experience, if I see casuals around me, I'll try and start a conversation with them. After having small talk, you can easily get them involved with the chants, rather than ignoring them and telling them to chant.
Small talk has resulted in first timers around me actually chanting.:)

Ratven
04-24-2009, 12:22 AM
My best TFC experiences have always been night games, they outrank day games by a HUGE margin. It's not just the fact that sound travels farther, but for whatever reason, it's cooler, more comfortable, people want to unwind after a day at work, whatever it is... we're always more coordinated, more willing to chant, and louder during night games... you throw in some inclement weather like rain into the mix as well, and we're positively ravenous.

I'm also curious about the team's performance during night games, I think it's possible they play better at night (someone look this up)

GBV
04-24-2009, 12:08 PM
one of these days there might actually be a goal scored on the south-side net.
maybe.

GBV
04-24-2009, 12:10 PM

some guys in 114 quickly changed their "TFC!" chant to "KFC!" when keeper touched the ball one time in the second half. rather genius.

Brooker
04-24-2009, 12:19 PM
one of these days there might actually be a goal scored on the south-side net.
maybe.

i know.... it's been a looooong time. dichio was so close with that header from the Guevara free kick. the southend would have gone absolutely mental if that went in. when was the last goal infront infront of the southend? was it the Robinson goal?

as far as the atmosphere i thought it was killer. my throat is still sore.... although the back of 112 really needs to LISTEN once in a while instead of trying to start chants all the time.

ohhh and watching the replay of the Guevarra goal, the pop from the crowd is great. i can't stop watching it. :D

Maple Leaf Red
04-24-2009, 12:44 PM
the west side of the south end was TERRIBLE.

and the west side stand up chant needs to be sung every ten minutes to keep the west side engaged. (it wasnt sung even once :( )

That idiotic chant was started once or twice but it didn't catch on thank God. Might as well do the wave to get people engaged. Good to see it slowly dying out.

NateDoGG
04-24-2009, 01:24 PM
bmo field will be this one day...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJS_a1uWV4Q
the entire stadium doin the bounce....

Lennon
04-24-2009, 02:43 PM

We need to speed up that chant ... and don't stop chanting at the first la la ... and everyone needs to be chanting ... and we need a horn ... like Lens ...lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6Pger_5oYQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6Pger_5oYQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sigh ... will never happen

Captain Croatia
04-24-2009, 02:53 PM
We need to speed up that chant ... and don't stop chanting at the first la la ... and everyone needs to be chanting ... and we need a horn ... like Lens ...lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6Pger_5oYQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6Pger_5oYQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sigh ... will never happen

One day, one day.

And when that day comes, i will be in the middle of it:)

I was in 119 for the Chivas game, and its funny watching the TFC clap x3 chant because as it goes form the RPB corner through the rest of the stand, it becomes more and more offbeat. :drinking:

As for the video, maybe in 5 years, when the whole south end is filled with singing, chanting, flag waving madmen:)