PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Wynne is the Fastest, Period!

sidney
04-22-2009, 10:49 PM
As I re-watch this wonderful TFC game (v Chivas), I've now heard (from our telecasters) for at least the 20th+ time (this season and last) the Marvel Wynne is "one of the fastest players in the league/MLS." I'm f-in-sick of this shit-commentary! I'm sorry but the dude is an f-in-rocket. No one else comes close.

bhoybobby
04-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Too bad he can't mark, read the game, tackle, head or pass. Other than that he's brilliant

sidney
04-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Too bad he can't mark, read the game, tackle, head or pass. Other than that he's brilliant

gimme a break bhoybobby. you must have had a few by now?

bhoybobby
04-22-2009, 10:55 PM
gimme a break bhoybobby. you must have had a few by now?

Sober as a judge mate. Marvell is a good athlete, just not a very good footballer. The only way he'll go to Europe is on vacation. His 1st touch is brutal, he's not comfortable with the ball coming to him in tight spaces. His marking & positioning is attrocious.

A decent winger, would destroy him

GabrielHurl
04-22-2009, 10:56 PM
bobby is correct - he shouldn't have to be making up 10 yards on a player if he was in position

Toronto Ruffrider
04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Wynne has potential, but he needs to raise his football IQ. In my opinion, he boots the ball up the field way too often. There's no need to bypass our midfield - at least the midfield that showed up tonight.

sidney
04-22-2009, 11:06 PM

Sober as a judge mate. Marvell is a good athlete, just not a very good footballer. The only way he'll go to Europe is on vacation. His 1st touch is brutal, he's not comfortable with the ball coming to him in tight spaces. His marking & positioning is attrocious. A decent winger, would destroy him

No drinks yet? Then I need to buy you one (or a few when we meet. That's a promise...it'd be fun!)

Marvel has improved all aspects of his game. He has demonstated the he can indeed tackle, mark, read the game, and pass (as for heading i-dunno). On top of that he gets to balls/tackles that no other human could(or even would try), thereby keeping balls alive/chances alive that other teams could only dream of. On top of that, he chases lost causes like no other causing strikers to miss sitters (e.g. Landy-cakes last year). And his first touch is better than average, and his marking and positioning and reading of the game have all improved. And fuck Europe!

Red CB Toronto
04-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Marvel will play for some club in Europe at some point in the next few years, I am not say it would be the EPL but a league none the less.

Shakes McQueen
04-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Marvell is getting better, but I essentially agree with bobby. He makes tons of glaring errors, and his speed constantly bails him out.

But don't get me wrong - that's fine with me. It makes it more likely that he will be with us for a while, and we can use the talents he does have. He's technically clumsy, but still pretty unbeatable down the right side, because of his speed.

- Scott

sidney
04-23-2009, 06:10 AM
As I re-watch this wonderful TFC game (v Chivas), I've now heard (from our telecasters) for at least the 20th+ time (this season and last) the Marvel Wynne is "one of the fastest players in the league/MLS." I'm f-in-sick of this shit-commentary! I'm sorry but the dude is an f-in-rocket. No one else comes close.

....yah guys, but please not that I didn't entitle/say in my original post that Marvel was the "best footballer period" I said he was "the fastest period," and I'm sick of announcers saying "one of".

InTheCrowd
04-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Ya, this thread was kind of taken off the topic of his speed.

LucaGol
04-23-2009, 06:36 AM

If he could do all those things he'd be the best right back in the world.

Flaws aside, he's still raw imo. You can't teach athleticism, but you can teach positioning.

And I have seen improvement in a few parts of his game, i.e. crossing and movement.

Jack
04-23-2009, 06:56 AM

Flaws aside, he's still raw imo. You can't teach athleticism, but you can teach positioning.

And I have seen improvement in a few parts of his game, i.e. crossing and movement.
This is about the right assessment.

Bhoybobby just wants Marvell to do well, so he's extra critical :D

ensco
04-23-2009, 07:19 AM
I love Marvell, but he is a maddening player. He's thisclose to being something world-class special, but right now, he's still just an MLS starter, not even an allstar.

I will never forget the way he ran down Donovan from 10 yards behind and across the field, last year at LA. One of the more amazing things I've ever seen in football. Donovan is not slow.

Inswingingwingman
04-23-2009, 07:20 AM
I agree, I've not seen anyone as fast.

As to the rest of his shortcomings he probably can't play the euphonium.

I'm going to Europe. I'll play the Euphonium.

Why can't people just be positive? Next someone is going to post that he once talked to Carver at the Mini-mart and Carver told the Sri Lanken cashier he was buying choclate milk for Speedy Gonzowynn.

Beach_Red
04-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Sober as a judge mate. Marvell is a good athlete, just not a very good footballer. The only way he'll go to Europe is on vacation.

It's possible he will develop into a very good MLS player - and that's what we want, isn't it, seeing as how we don't really get the money from a transfer to Europe (stupid MLS rules...)

Probably the same for Cronin, who looks like he could be great in this league and might even stay here. Maybe even the same for Ibrahim and Nana.

We might actually be developing a decent MLS core of players here.

boban
04-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Sober as a judge mate. Marvell is a good athlete, just not a very good footballer. The only way he'll go to Europe is on vacation. His 1st touch is brutal, he's not comfortable with the ball coming to him in tight spaces. His marking & positioning is attrocious.

A decent winger, would destroy him
pretty decent assessment of him.
Man has got speed but other aspects are lacking the more I see him play.
His cross from the wing is brutal.
He caught my eye in season one and I was impressed but he is almost predictable now.

Yohan
04-23-2009, 08:18 AM
pretty decent assessment of him.
Man has got speed but other aspects are lacking the more I see him play.
His cross from the wing is brutal.
He caught my eye in season one and I was impressed but he is almost predictable now.
yeah. it seems that Wynne has plateau'd in terms of development

Steve
04-23-2009, 08:49 AM

I don't know, do you remember his touch from season one? From what I see, he has improved remarkably on the ball, and moderately in positioning. Now, don't get me wrong, he's still not the greatest skill player around, but he has improved a lot (considering where he started from). I still think he could continue to improve, and make an amazing player.

Jack
04-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Nonetheless, he does a good job for us. I mean, this is MLS, so you can't expect a player to be a complete package and stick around.

BRed
04-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Favourite player on TFC.

Chevy
04-23-2009, 08:51 AM

Are you kidding? He has improved tremendously since the beginning of last year - better ball handling, better decision making, better field vision.

He can only improve over the next few years.

Yohan
04-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Are you kidding? He has improved tremendously since the beginning of last year - better ball handling, better decision making, better field vision.

He can only improve over the next few years.
i dont see much improvement from end of last year when he had couple of amazing games to so far this season

Section225
04-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Wynne is in our TOP 3 players for sure. The guy is fast in the back defending, doesn't make dumb fouls, and takes his runs at least a few times every game up front as well.

Legend...and thank god he wasn't called up by the USNT this year, better for us.

Jack
04-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Wynne is in our TOP 3 players for sure. The guy is fast in the back defending, doesn't make dumb fouls, and takes his runs at least a few times every game up front as well.

Legend...and thank god he wasn't called up by the USNT this year, better for us.
I can't agree with this.

Better than Wynne:
Dichio
DeRo
Vitti
Guevara
Robbo
Serioux
Frei

Beach_Red
04-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I can't agree with this.

Better than Wynne:
Dichio
DeRo
Vitti
Guevara
Robbo
Serioux
Frei

And Cronin is coming on strong.

But, Wynne's upside outwieghs his negatives for an MLS player and as Jack pointed out that means he'll stick around.

We've all complained that one of the team's biggest problems has been too many changes to the roster - so, to keep a roster together means finding players at just the right level to do well in MLS and that will stay in MLS.

trane
04-23-2009, 09:23 AM
I can't agree with this.

Better than Wynne:
Dichio
DeRo
Vitti
Guevara
Robbo
Serioux
Frei

Agree, and as beachred said Cronin is impresing me.

sidney
04-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I also agree with this:

"Better than Wynne:
Dichio
DeRo
Vitti
Guevara
Robbo
Serioux
Frei"

but I think Wynne has a slight edge on Cronin (at this early point).

Roogsy
04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Nonetheless, he does a good job for us. I mean, this is MLS, so you can't expect a player to be a complete package and stick around.

Seriously!

If he was all those things mentioned before...he wouldn't be playing for us to begin with! Ever think of that? Gawd...people want John Terry at McDonald's wages sometimes. Be realistic for heaven's sakes.

If he can be taught those things...Mo can sell him for a mint like he did with Edu.

joel
04-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I only get frustrated with the way he uses his hands to shove players, and I mean 2 hand shove, and that kind of stuff like the shoulder he threw on the guy yesterday. When he's stuck out of position and is running a guy down full-tilt he can make some risky plays.

But yes, he's fast!

trane
04-23-2009, 10:25 AM
The shove drove me crazy last year, but I have seen less of it this year. however, the shoulder thing, i am not sure, meaning I am not sure if every ref would call it. Shoulder to shoulder is allowed, but on the other hand he does run at the player like a football tackle. What is the acctual rule on that?

Dbl_D
04-23-2009, 10:44 AM

agree 100% much improved and still a young guy we will lose him for sure...

ps if he 'is so bad' why was he picked for the US team?

trane
04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
^ He is not bad, he is just far from a complete Right Back at this point in time. The US team is not the most tallented team on the planet despite their aspirations.