PDA

View Full Version : Oh Danny Boy

bhoybobby
04-22-2009, 09:57 PM
You are da man Dan. Hopefully Carver is over his ageism & your detractors can fuck right off.

How to play Center Forward, by DD, easy old game when you know how.

Nodoubtguy
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
ummm......am I the only one not floored by DD tonight?? how many times did his touches go nowhere??

bhoybobby
04-22-2009, 10:04 PM
ummm......am I the only one not floored by DD tonight?? how many times did his touches go nowhere??

Not many, you;re the only one. Get your eyes seen too, he gave a master class on what a target man does.

woolly
04-22-2009, 10:04 PM

He was rusty, no question. But he made things happen even if it was jsut srawing defenders to him, or being in the right place. And he should have gotten a penalty kick in the first half.

TFC Bhoy
04-22-2009, 10:05 PM
He should have gotten the penalty in the first half and had a great chance saved by a lucky ass save too. For those who said Dichio couldn't play 90 I hope this shuts them up!

bhoybobby
04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Barrett should get a bit o rust in him then. DD makes things happen, he's our best forward.

Super
04-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Danny was unfortunate not to score at least on the one chance he basically created by running deep behind the defense, and heading it directly on the keeper. The guy is class. It's no wonder we still sing his praise!

LucaGol
04-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Every game Danny plays he brings the goods. Plain and simple.

Makes the team better and is always causing problems for opposing centre halfs.

Beach_Red
04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Barrett should get a bit o rust in him then. DD makes things happen, he's our best forward.

We're a completely different team when he plays -a team that looks like a threat to score.

Let's hope he starts from now on.

greatwhitenorf
04-22-2009, 10:10 PM
He was stout, staunch and sturdy. Not perfect, but who ever is in MLS?

He battled hard and I liked the fact that he often made a quick, first-touch pass out of a scramble that led to us keeping control and coming forward.

He picked up a card for leaving a mark, kept everyone on Chivas concerned about his presence in the box and, in general, played the role he should be playing for us.

He's a big, beautiful bastard. Good on ya, DannyD! Great win tonight.

Yohan
04-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Dichio! Dichio!
He's Danny Dichio!
He's got no hair but we don't care
He's Danny Dichio!

Bluenose13
04-22-2009, 10:17 PM
You are da man Dan. Hopefully Carver is over his ageism & your detractors can fuck right off.

How to play Center Forward, by DD, easy old game when you know how.Well said.

We're a completely different team when he plays -a team that looks like a threat to score.

Let's hope he starts from now on.There is no doubt we are a much better looking team when he plays.

Ageroo
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I think we are much better with him in the lineup for sure....at least that seems evident. I thought he played great, but not spectacular...that being said, what I was extremely impressed about was his vicious D late in the match. I mean, he was running from one man to the next...from one side of the field to the other. A man on a mission!

sidney
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM

How to play Center Forward, by DD, easy old game when you know how.

the dd-man is brill (and obviously now!) fit for f-in-90-mins

Jack
04-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I just hope he can keep it up without getting hurt. The problem with his balls-to-the-wall style is that I don't think he has a lower gear than "FULL THROTTLE". I mean, did you see him go smashing into the adboards trying to keep that ball in play at the end of the game. His body's not as spry as it used to be and we've seen that in the past two seasons with the injuries.

bhoybobby
04-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I just hope he can keep it up without getting hurt. The problem with his balls-to-the-wall style is that I don't think he has a lower gear than "FULL THROTTLE". I mean, did you see him go smashing into the adboards trying to keep that ball in play at the end of the game. His body's not as spry as it used to be and we've seen that in the past two seasons with the injuries.

Jack, he leaves it all on the field. No one knows how long they'll get to play. All I know, is if you give it your all & leave it on the field, you'll win more than you lose & generally speaking the fans'll be happy.

If everyone on TFC could play their position as well as Danny, we'd be in the play-offs no problem. For me, Danny's a treat to watch, all he's missing is speed.

He's our best forward, most intelligent player, hands down

Pachuco
04-22-2009, 10:52 PM
I gotta say, I think Dichio was effective today, until Vitti got subbed off. I don't think we can play 4-4-2 with him, that's just my opinion. He's real good though when we have Vitti and Barett on the field.

Jack
04-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Jack, he leaves it all on the field. No one knows how long they'll get to play. All I know, is if you give it your all & leave it on the field, you'll win more than you lose & generally speaking the fans'll be happy.

If everyone on TFC could play their position as well as Danny, we'd be in the play-offs no problem. For me, Danny's a treat to watch, all he's missing is speed.

He's our best forward, most intelligent player, hands down

I agree with you 100%

Which is exactly why I want him to be out there for every game! I just hope his body holds up, is all.

bhoybobby
04-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I agree with you 100%

Which is exactly why I want him to be out there for every game! I just hope his body holds up, is all.

Here's hoping

Toronto_Bhoy
04-23-2009, 12:24 AM
First touch: Excellent!
Ball winning: Excellent!
Distribution: Excellent!
Football intelligence: Excellent!

Danny Dichio: Excellent!

He makes the others around him better.

Legend!

Flipityflu
04-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Danny is the only player we have that can hold up the ball. it just seems to be a different team when he is on the pitch. i was very exicited to see him named to the starting eleven.

Roogsy
04-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Not many, you;re the only one. Get your eyes seen too, he gave a master class on what a target man does.

For once, I agree with you BB.

Dichio up there was probably the difference maker in the game.

The flicks, the holding up of the ball, the aerial danger, the pressure he created and the opportunities that came of it.

Incredibly...I dare say he may have the best first touch of any player on the team.

It was magic baby. I don't know why we waited so long.

I am going to miss seeing the big guy playing for us after he retires this year.

He is Legend.

Bloor West FC
04-23-2009, 04:50 AM
e had an awesome game!! Hope he is fit for Sunday

Shakes McQueen
04-23-2009, 05:14 AM
I support starting Dichio, and subbing in Barrett later, when DD is gassed. You can pretty clearly see Dichio was tired part way through the second half, and I doubt he's a regular 90' player these days.

Plus, it could help Barrett score more - let DD beat up the defense for 70 minutes or so, and then let Barrett's work rate take over against their winded back line.

Vitti and Dichio both made a compelling argument that they should be starting, in this match. I actually thought Barrett did a good job in this game, too. He had a hand in starting the run of play leading to Guevara's goal, by pressuring the keeper into an error. His man of the match honour was totally undeserved, though. That solidly belonged to Serioux.

As long as both are healthy, I hope Carver starts Vitti and Dichio this weekend. Surely he must have seen how much more dominating we were last night, than we have been all season.

I also hope he rides with the 4-3-3 for a while, as it seemed to work wonders. Replace Barrett with DeRo when he comes back from injury, and use Barrett in the sub role I mentioned above.

We just beat what has been up to now, the best team in the league, and a team that just scored an emphatic 2-0 victory over "mighty" Seattle on the weekend. We should be tremendously heartened by this.

- Scott

trane
04-23-2009, 06:20 AM
You all know and have echoed my thoughts on Danny, and I will say Barret looks better, when Danny is on, as he is allowed to play I belive he is better suited for.

Canadian Blue
04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
By far the best player on the field....but didn't I hear Chad Barrett get player of the game???

Oldtimer
04-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I support starting Dichio, and subbing in Barrett later, when DD is gassed. You can pretty clearly see Dichio was tired part way through the second half, and I doubt he's a regular 90' player these days.

Plus, it could help Barrett score more - let DD beat up the defense for 70 minutes or so, and then let Barrett's work rate take over against their winded back line.

Vitti and Dichio both made a compelling argument that they should be starting, in this match. I actually thought Barrett did a good job in this game, too. He had a hand in starting the run of play leading to Guevara's goal, by pressuring the keeper into an error. His man of the match honour was totally undeserved, though. That solidly belonged to Serioux.

As long as both are healthy, I hope Carver starts Vitti and Dichio this weekend. Surely he must have seen how much more dominating we were last night, than we have been all season.

I also hope he rides with the 4-3-3 for a while, as it seemed to work wonders. Replace Barrett with DeRo when he comes back from injury, and use Barrett in the sub role I mentioned above.

We just beat what has been up to now, the best team in the league, and a team that just scored an emphatic 2-0 victory over "mighty" Seattle on the weekend. We should be tremendously heartened by this.

- Scott

I like the 3 up front, very effective. Having 2 other forwards makes up for DD's lack of speed, and allows DD to do what he does best: scare defenders and be the big target man up front.

However, DD can't really play 90 minutes any more. Carver needs to consider the lineup for the remaining 20 minutes to keep TFC attacking.

Brooker
04-23-2009, 07:49 AM

yeah its not like he assisted on our only goal or anything....

jesus.

I like the 3 up front, very effective. Having 2 other forwards makes up for DD's lack of speed, and allows DD to do what he does best: scare defenders and be the big target man up front.

However, DD can't really play 90 minutes any more. Carver needs to consider the lineup for the remaining 20 minutes to keep TFC attacking.

QFT

Jamaicanadian
04-23-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm not always feelin' bhoybobby's sentiments :D but I've always loved Danny D's game...I never bought into the "he cant play 90 minutes talk"...He a very effective target man in my book.....

Ron Manager
04-23-2009, 08:16 AM
I was blown away by Danny's drive and determination last night. So much for all the "He can't last 90 minutes" talk. And I admit I had my doubts before. He was huge last night and scared the shit out of the little boys on Chivas overhyped d-line all night. I have also never seen him run as fast as I saw on a few occasions last night. His pace and fitness looked great and he has clearly been hard at work with Mr. Winsper.
Danny deserved a goal on that lovely set piece where he flicked that header and forced fatty into a good save.

Well played Danny, see you on Sunday.

TFC Cityboy
04-23-2009, 08:35 AM
His first touch is sublime and he brings Barrett/Vitti into the game, and creates space.
On a freezing night, there he is - short sleeves no gloves working his ass off defending from the front.
Legend.

marshall_law
04-23-2009, 08:58 AM

- Scott

i'm thinking the other way around might work too...i.e. let barrett wear down the defence for 70 minutes and then sub in dd to provide a target on the field. at that point in the game, provided barrett works as hard as he did last night, there'll be more room for dd to work in through balls to the other strikers.

this will allow dd to be effective while also preserving his body.

Hitcho
04-23-2009, 09:05 AM
It's not just what he brings with his own game, it's the what he brings to other people's games too. When Danny plays he occupies at least one CB with his size and strength, meantime the other CB is wondering which of the three players running from deep to try and pick up and which one Danny is going to try and hit with his flick or pass. It's so hard to play against someone like that. There's no-one else in MLS who brings the same kind of threat as Dichio does. Add to that his 100% commitment and he's a massive asset for TFC.

Yohan
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
just rewatching the game now and that freekick from Guevara that Dichio timed perfectly to get his head on in 2nd half. beautiful set play

DRock
04-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Lately, when he's been subbed on i've been really unimpressed with him this season, but yesterday when he started, he was magic. Maybe it's because he needs a bit of time to wind up, and does that best at the beginning of the game. If this is the case, he should be started and not comming off the bench!

ExiledRed
04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Did you see him rush through that defender earlier on like he wasn't there?

He should have won that penalty right thereafter, won a bunch of corners, got the assist, took a great chance on goal which was well saved, and basically lead the team from the front.

Brennan wears the armband, and he made his case for it last night, but the two real leaders on the pitch last night were Serioux at the back and Danny Dichio at the front.

Barrett is the weakest link in our offense, but strangely enough he played well defensively last night.

TFC Tifoso
04-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Dichio was his usual amazing self......maybe we were so impressed because he hasn't seen this much time on the field since last season....par for the course for DD......simply brilliant.

Boris
04-23-2009, 01:45 PM
the game's pace was surely different with him on the pitch last night.
Also with Dero gone the team played smarter...

bhoybobby
04-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Did you see him rush through that defender earlier on like he wasn't there?

He should have won that penalty right thereafter, won a bunch of corners, got the assist, took a great chance on goal which was well saved, and basically lead the team from the front.

Brennan wears the armband, and he made his case for it last night, but the two real leaders on the pitch last night were Serioux at the back and Danny Dichio at the front.

Barrett is the weakest link in our offense, but strangely enough he played well defensively last night.

Yet people still doubt him, I get a lot of "give him 70 mins" DD does more in 10 than Barrett does in a game. I'm constantly baffled by folks on here who credit people with being good, 'cause their fast, or, they work hard.

How a bout judging them on how good they are, how smart they play.

Play DD til the other team begs for us to take him off, then....ignore them.

When he's not on, we win fuck all in the air & get bossed, when he's on, he should be wearing a mask, 'cause he's a great hold up man, one touch footie, he get's stuck in, pulls 2 men wherever he goes, lovely lay-offs, flick ons & oh yeah, he's a dirty big bastard. My kinda guy, wish we had 11 like him.

How the fuck, did Barrett get MOM? who voted? his parents! That was embarrassing

napoli73
04-23-2009, 08:52 PM
You all know and have echoed my thoughts on Danny, and I will say Barret looks better, when Danny is on, as he is allowed to play I belive he is better suited for.

Yes, because Barrett is better playing behind someone like Dichio....Barrett is not a target man.

bhoybobby
04-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Yes, because Barrett is better playing behind someone like Dichio....Barrett is not a target man.

I'd give him a target on his backside if he doesn't start improving his 1st touch & overall game.

Jack
04-24-2009, 07:17 AM
I'd give him a target on his backside if he doesn't start improving his 1st touch & overall game.
I think Barrett is sort of like Wynne. Raw but with potential. It's possible the skills development is just not yet up to par in the US. Barrett makes very good runs, evidenced by the number of chances he gets but there are a couple of aspects of his game that are lacking - first touch and finishing. But then we're back to the whole "if he had those two along with his speed, strength and ability to create chances, he'd probably be in another league" argument.

ExiledRed
04-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Barrett is the weakest link.

His touch was terrible, his passing is suspect and his free kick should have been taken by Guevara or Robbo, but they were being nice and tried to help him increase his account.

No more freebies from the lads please, do what it takes to win, not to boost the confidence of an individual.

Jack
04-24-2009, 07:23 AM

His touch was terrible, his passing is suspect and his free kick should have been taken by Guevara or Robbo, but they were being nice and tried to help him increase his account.

No more freebies from the lads please, do what it takes to win, not to boost the confidence of an individual.
Those are valid criticisms, but you have to give him some credit for the work he put in as well. Getting to a lot of balls and muscling off the defenders. When he busted through those two defenders to get that chance on Thornton alone, it was a very good play, but of course, the eternal curse, he didn't finish.

ensco
04-24-2009, 07:24 AM

I am a Mo supporter....but....could the Barrett contract be Mo's biggest blunder?

In the case of Welsh, Robert and Cunny, he was able to get rid of the financial obligation. I'm not sure that'll be possible with Barrett.

James Oliphant
04-24-2009, 07:31 AM
So when do we start collecting funds for his testimonial match? I can't see MLSE giving the proceeds of any match to a player as is traditionally done in testimonials, so how about a fan-driven fundraiser?

I am serious, too.

Beach_Red
04-24-2009, 08:30 AM
I am a Mo supporter....but....could the Barrett contract be Mo's biggest blunder?

In the case of Welsh, Robert and Cunny, he was able to get rid of the financial obligation. I'm not sure that'll be possible with Barrett.

Robert was simply released (he probably had the offer from the Greek club already), if it came to that could Barrett just be released? We didn't give up anything to get him, we wouldn't really be losing anything.

Pachuco
04-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Robert was simply released (he probably had the offer from the Greek club already), if it came to that could Barrett just be released? We didn't give up anything to get him, we wouldn't really be losing anything.

Robert didn't have a guaranteed contract. Barrett on the other hand is here for 4 years. (not sure how much of that is guaranteed). So regardless, if we release him, we would probably have to buy him out.

FluSH
04-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Dichio is a Warrior no doubt about it.

ExiledRed
04-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Those are valid criticisms, but you have to give him some credit for the work he put in as well. Getting to a lot of balls and muscling off the defenders. When he busted through those two defenders to get that chance on Thornton alone, it was a very good play, but of course, the eternal curse, he didn't finish.

What I meant was is Barret's our weakest offensive link.

He made some important defensive plays and kept himself involved, for sure, I just wish he'd get a clue when he's in the final third of the pitch.

trane
04-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Barrett's runs are more effective when he is playing off and behind a striker, otherwise I find he worked hard, but ran himself into dead ends, and bad angles.

NateDoGG
04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
dichio played great
i wish he could start more often but me thinks hes body does not agree with that as much as it use to

James Oliphant
04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
dichio played great
i wish he could start more often but me thinks hes body does not agree with that as much as it use to

He should have been starting all along at the start of the season. Where I worry about his body holding up is in the summer months. We've seen the toll it takes on him in the previous two seasons. Both years, he was at his best at the start and finish of the season.

Darlofletch
04-24-2009, 09:41 AM
I though Barrett played well last night and was unlucky not to score. That was a good save rather than a bad miss. He definitely shouldn't be played as a lone striker/targetman, that's just not his game, but in a formation like wednesday's he'll do well.

When De Ro comes back, if we keep the same formation, I'd keep Barrett in there ahead of Vitti. Vitti did way too much dribbling into trouble and losing the ball, and he also missed chances, and hasn't scored yet, but no-one seems to be on his back about it like they are with Barrett.

joel
04-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Dichio has great footwork for a big man. just inside the box he pulled it right back around the guy and got fouled hard it shoulda been a penalty.

We got into to so many attacking positions because of his great positioning. The defenders are afraid of him, they will not challenge him when a ball gets put into him and he has his back to them.

James Oliphant
04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I though Barrett played well last night and was unlucky not to score. That was a good save rather than a bad miss.

Here's something funny...I'm in 115, and our view of that shot was obstructed by several players. Immediately after seeing it go wide, a bunch of us were cursing out Barrett and calling for him to be taken off. We all thought he'd flat out missed.

We all ate a fair bit of humble pie when we saw the replay. And we all acknowledged our mistake, too, by shouting, "Sorry Chad!"

Oops. :D

crozack
04-24-2009, 09:58 AM
The 3 striker system definately worked well for us. Especially Barrett who on numerous times came deep into his own end to retrieve balls taking pressure off Guevara and allowing DD and Vitti to roam free.
Carver against Chivas catered to our strikers strengths.....Barrett is a workhorse with pace.....DD is the target man and Vitti is a creative outlet man

Its looking good for Sunday!

Was there a reason JC was holding Vitti to limited minutes in the first 5 games?(not sure if this was answered yet)

TOBOR !
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
i'm thinking the other way around might work too...i.e. let barrett wear down the defence for 70 minutes and then sub in dd to provide a target on the field. at that point in the game, provided barrett works as hard as he did last night, there'll be more room for dd to work in through balls to the other strikers.

this will allow dd to be effective while also preserving his body.

it is to laugh. The only ones being worn down by Barrett are the ballboys.

rocker
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Was there a reason JC was holding Vitti to limited minutes in the first 5 games?(not sure if this was answered yet)

i think it was because he was nursing a knee injury. he had that brace on for some time and then it came off before the dallas game.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Barrett's runs are more effective when he is playing off and behind a striker, otherwise I find he worked hard, but ran himself into dead ends, and bad angles.

So true Trane. Some players have the "soccer smarts" some don't…it just isn't about work rate and skill.

Chad works hard, no doubt, but I fear he lacks the smarts and skill (horrific first touch) needed to be a 20 goal man which this side needs to be successful. Perhaps playing with Danny will help.

bhoybobby
04-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I though Barrett played well last night and was unlucky not to score. That was a good save rather than a bad miss. He definitely shouldn't be played as a lone striker/targetman, that's just not his game, but in a formation like wednesday's he'll do well.

When De Ro comes back, if we keep the same formation, I'd keep Barrett in there ahead of Vitti. Vitti did way too much dribbling into trouble and losing the ball, and he also missed chances, and hasn't scored yet, but no-one seems to be on his back about it like they are with Barrett.

Vitti has skill, a great 1st touch, can beat a man, is a good tackler, a decent shot & works his socks off.

Barrett works his socks off, which should be a given. Other than than, his 1st touch is like an Elephants.

Vitti & Dichio better start on Sunday, Barrett I could care less about. Why he got a 4 year deal is beyond me, almost as daft as his mom award the last game.