PDA

View Full Version : TFC v. CDCUSA Player Ratings

Lucky Strike
04-22-2009, 09:03 PM
A fantastic win, I can hardly think of another match where our boys played so well. I'm really liking this, what appears to be a 4-2-3-1 with Robinson and Cronin playing in front of the backline and Dichio as the big guy up top. They were a bit more defensive in the last 10 minutes giving Chivas more possession but it all came out OK.

Frei - 7: A clean sheet but didn't have much to do for it. Was obvious that he commanded his area very well. Had he had more saves to make, his score would have been higher.
Wynne - 7: Played a good match and made some nice runs up to support the attack. Was never beaten badly that he needed to use his speed to make up for his errors. A good sign.
Serioux - 8: Can't say enough times, a monster in the air and a black hole in the centre. Well done.
Velez - 7: I kept expecting the colossal clanger but it never came, aside from the one ball that got away but he recovered in time. Quietly did what he had to do. He's clearly more technically gifted than Harmse and if he can prevent the brain cramps, he'll be solid. That remains to be seen however. But for tonight, congratulations on a good game.
Brennan - 7: Very solid tonight - one of his better games in my view. Was solid defensively and provided the occasional offensive worry down the left flank.
Robinson - 7: It was Robbo-esque. In other words, locked down that centre effectively and stifled Chivas's attack.
Cronin - 8: He was Robbo-esque and then some. Great passes, had some flashes of brilliance late in the first half. I keep saying it, but man, am I excited about this player.
Vitti - 7.5: Started showing the kind of player he is. More playing time will allow him to get more comfortable with the team. Subbed.
Guevara - 7.5: He was back to his better self, got the goal and had a good game. Faded a bit near the end but I liked what he displayed tonight. Subbed.
Barrett - 7: Once more, great GREAT effort and was a nuisance all night to the opposition. Didn't score but had one great chance only to be stoned by Thornton. I tend to believe this was simply a great save rather than a miss.
Dichio - 8: This team is just so much better with Dichio in the line-up. I can't explain why or how, they just are. Was fantastic tonight being strong, receiving the ball, holding it up, spraying it around and so forth. He also got the assist on the Guevara goal. Once he retires, Mo will absolutely need to get a guy like him and start him. Booked.

Ibrahim - 6: Got only 10 minutes but didn't screw up, nor did he shine. Had a good run which unfortunately fizzled out near end.
Ricketts - NR: Too little time to get a rating, but nearly gave it away at a crucial juncture and location in stoppage time.

Carver - 9: People often point out that I'm generous with Carver but boy did he get the formation right today. And we didn't play the long ball (unless it made sense because a guy was open)! He was up in the stands today to get perspective on the match and I hope he realizes how well the team played in this formation and keeps it this way. I don't know how involved he was with the substitutions but the commentators did remark that he was in contact with assistant Chris Cummins on the touchline. No complaints in that department.

Referee - 8: A good performance by an MLS referee! Pop the champagne! I have zero complaints about the man today. Kept the cards under control (and therefore the match) and was willing to play the advantage when appropriate. Well done.

MOTM: Dichio. He was simply huge. Literally and figuratively.

Most impressed by opposition's: Very little to choose from. Notably, Kljestan was totally invisible. I suppose I'll go with the GK Thornton. He commanded his area, cleared the ball several times and made a fantastic save to deny Barrett.

dannyd
04-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Frei - 9 - excellent communication with defenders and great awareness
Wynne - 7
Serioux - 10 - perfect game!!!
Velez - 7
Brennan - 6
Robinson - 9
Cronin - 9
Vitti - 8
Guevara - 8
Barrett - 7
Dichio - 8.5
Ibrahim - 7
Ricketts - NR sub was to kill off game

MOTM: Serioux... Best defensive game by any TFC player in our short history.

bangersandmash
04-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Frei organizes that back 4 really well. I don't know if he communicates better than sutton or the defenders are just shit scared of standing in front of a rookie. He looks good so far. Good pick.

sidvan
04-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Serioux and Robinson were huge tonite. Barrett was a pest up there. My money on Serioux for man of the match.

RedsYNWA
04-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Frei - 8 a well won clean sheet
Wynne - 7 good effort
Serioux - 10 - perfect game!!! MVP this season by far
Velez - 7 good stuff
Brennan - 5 not really there
Robinson - 9 a great performance
Cronin - 7 decent game
Vitti - 7 should get his chances
Guevara - 9 the most talented player TFC has by far
Barrett - 6.5 getting his confidence back..lets hope
Dichio - 7 always a solid player
Ibrahim - 4 who cares
Ricketts - not enough time to make an impression

Ageroo
04-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Frei organizes that back 4 really well. I don't know if he communicates better than sutton or the defenders are just shit scared of standing in front of a rookie. He looks good so far. Good pick.

I agree Frei does command the back very well......so vocal! As I sit right behind the net I have gotten a good vantage point of our keepers. I was very impressed on one of the free kick on how he was screaming at the guys in the wall punched the post even to try to get their attention.

Big Bruva
04-22-2009, 11:35 PM
A fantastic win, I can hardly think of another match where our boys played so well. I'm really liking this, what appears to be a 4-2-3-1 with Robinson and Cronin playing in front of the backline and Dichio as the big guy up top. They were a bit more defensive in the last 10 minutes giving Chivas more possession but it all came out OK.

Frei - 7: A clean sheet but didn't have much to do for it. Was obvious that he commanded his area very well. Had he had more saves to make, his score would have been higher.
Wynne - 7: Played a good match and made some nice runs up to support the attack. Was never beaten badly that he needed to use his speed to make up for his errors. A good sign.
Serioux - 8: Can't say enough times, a monster in the air and a black hole in the centre. Well done.
Velez - 7: I kept expecting the colossal clanger but it never came, aside from the one ball that got away but he recovered in time. Quietly did what he had to do. He's clearly more technically gifted than Harmse and if he can prevent the brain cramps, he'll be solid. That remains to be seen however. But for tonight, congratulations on a good game.
Brennan - 7: Very solid tonight - one of his better games in my view. Was solid defensively and provided the occasional offensive worry down the left flank.
Robinson - 7: It was Robbo-esque. In other words, locked down that centre effectively and stifled Chivas's attack.
Cronin - 8: He was Robbo-esque and then some. Great passes, had some flashes of brilliance late in the first half. I keep saying it, but man, am I excited about this player.
Vitti - 7.5: Started showing the kind of player he is. More playing time will allow him to get more comfortable with the team. Subbed.
Guevara - 7.5: He was back to his better self, got the goal and had a good game. Faded a bit near the end but I liked what he displayed tonight. Subbed.
Barrett - 7: Once more, great GREAT effort and was a nuisance all night to the opposition. Didn't score but had one great chance only to be stoned by Thornton. I tend to believe this was simply a great save rather than a miss.
Dichio - 8: This team is just so much better with Dichio in the line-up. I can't explain why or how, they just are. Was fantastic tonight being strong, receiving the ball, holding it up, spraying it around and so forth. He also got the assist on the Guevara goal. Once he retires, Mo will absolutely need to get a guy like him and start him. Booked.

Ibrahim - 6: Got only 10 minutes but didn't screw up, nor did he shine. Had a good run which unfortunately fizzled out near end.
Ricketts - NR: Too little time to get a rating, but nearly gave it away at a crucial juncture and location in stoppage time, (but did hustle back and take it off their players foot without him knowing RR was coming)
Carver - 9: People often point out that I'm generous with Carver but boy did he get the formation right today. And we didn't play the long ball (unless it made sense because a guy was open)! He was up in the stands today to get perspective on the match and I hope he realizes how well the team played in this formation and keeps it this way. I don't know how involved he was with the substitutions but the commentators did remark that he was in contact with assistant Chris Cummins on the touchline. No complaints in that department.

Referee - 8: A good performance by an MLS referee! Pop the champagne! I have zero complaints about the man today. Kept the cards under control (and therefore the match) and was willing to play the advantage when appropriate. Well done.

Most impressed by opposition's: Very little to choose from. Notably, Kljestan was totally invisible. I suppose I'll go with the GK Thornton. He commanded his area, cleared the ball several times and made a fantastic save to deny Barrett.
Ricketts - NR: Too little time to get a rating, but nearly gave it away at a crucial juncture and location in stoppage time, (but did hustle back and take it off their players foot without him knowing RR was coming)

Wooster_TFC
04-23-2009, 06:23 AM

I was actually going to comment that this single play exemplifies what's good and bad about RR. I really think he has poor decision making skills.

First, he books it back to strip the Chivas player of the ball, has some time and space to do something (both CBs were wide open at the back), and yet he turns, and for some reason decides to try and pass it directly through the Chivas player he just stole it from.

Amazing stip, terrible giveaway. This is why Cronin starts over him right now, while he may not do anything amazing, he doesn't do much terrible either.

Ron Manager
04-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Agree with most of the ratings above. Clearly a solid game by every man in Red last night and the kind of total team performance that causes wins. Frei and Cronin both stand out as rookie of the year candidates and not enough can be said about how well these two have made the adjustment to pro football. Both look composed, technically and tactically sound and most importantly, clearly have the respect of their senior team mates. Well done to the rookies.

CoachGT
04-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Agree with pretty much all of it. I thought Ricketts played with heart and, from the time he arrived, displayed the most energy of anyone on the field.

My only comment was on the assistant referees - I'm baffled about what they see for offsides sometimes. I would have sworn that at least three of the offside calls looked good, even on reply.

Lucky Strike
04-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Agree with pretty much all of it. I thought Ricketts played with heart and, from the time he arrived, displayed the most energy of anyone on the field.

My only comment was on the assistant referees - I'm baffled about what they see for offsides sometimes. I would have sworn that at least three of the offside calls looked good, even on replay.

I don't know, they mostly looked like good calls to me (maybe except for one that was really close) but it's hard to say as we didn't get a good "straight on" camera angle that we get in European broadcasts. We typically do have it at BMO as well, but for some reason, it was missing that day.

Big Bruva
04-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Nothing wrong with what RR did at all they only thing was the pass he attempted didn't get their and at that time of the match when a team is pressing to get something out of the game you go forward and not backwards as anything can happen.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Frei - 9 - excellent communication with defenders and great awareness
Wynne - 7
Serioux - 10 - perfect game!!!
Velez - 7
Brennan - 6
Robinson - 9
Cronin - 9
Vitti - 8
Guevara - 8
Barrett - 7
Dichio - 8.5
Ibrahim - 7
Ricketts - NR sub was to kill off game

MOTM: Serioux... Best defensive game by any TFC player in our short history.

2nd that....

dannyd
04-23-2009, 05:48 PM

My only comment was on the assistant referees - I'm baffled about what they see for offsides sometimes. I would have sworn that at least three of the offside calls looked good, even on reply.

Sorry to go off topic, but I have no idea if any of those calls were offside or not, coz the camera work SUCKED last night on GolTV. When they show the offside replay, it's a close-up of the guy kicking the ball.

I guess this should go in the complaint thread though, lol...

sidney
04-23-2009, 07:07 PM

Ricketts - NR: Too little time to get a rating, but nearly gave it away at a crucial juncture and location in stoppage time.

Great job LS!...It was great to see Ricketts out there...he showed a tonne of energy...I miss the little-guy

jabbronies
04-23-2009, 07:29 PM

The ref was sub par IMO. Yes he let more of the physical play go, but he was late on so many calls. I give him a 6 at most