PDA

View Full Version : Is something going on with Carver?

ensco
04-22-2009, 08:54 PM
He's not on the sidelines but "in the stands, connected via telephone".

There are major lineup and formation changes.

Having spent 2009 thus far in the shadows, Mo suddenly makes a lengthy appearance on the broadcast.

Cummins does the post-game press conference!

Alone they don't mean much, but taken together, I wonder.....

Shakes McQueen
04-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I'd be surprised if it meant anything, but I guess you never know.

- Scott

S_D
04-22-2009, 09:00 PM
maybe he isn't getting paid enough to cover all of the fines :D

Gixmo
04-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Mo's 'lengthy' appearence was drivel

Carver needed a different perspective to ' see the light ' - That perspective was in the press boxes... Hopefully, he saw something that sticks with him.

He's not gone, Don't feed the trolls :)

Shway
04-22-2009, 09:06 PM
how about Carver was suspened?

Nerepis
04-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Big hug on camera between Carver and Guevara just before they walked into the Dressing Room. Great win today. Dumb thread.

kitchener-TFC
04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
If I'm not mistaken, carver was suspended for this game.

sulfur
04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
how about Carver was suspened?
not the case according to the MLS site.

according to the Fan590, he chose to watch the game from the press box to see how the formation was breaking down, etc, and left the press box about 10 minutes before time.

Lucky Strike
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
I fear we might be looking for something that doesn't exist. I generally take this as face value - to get perspective. If we're looking for something deeper, then maybe the club (not the league) reprimanded Carver for being fined (as it's not the first time) and just told no one.

Shakes McQueen
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
not the case according to the MLS site.

according to the Fan590, he chose to watch the game from the press box to see how the formation was breaking down, etc, and left the press box about 10 minutes before time.

This is a great sign, because it indicates that he decided to try something new, and wanted to see how it worked. And clearly it worked, which leaves me hoepful we will see this again.

- Scott

Dirk Diggler
04-22-2009, 09:17 PM
I thought he was banned .... if not, that is great to hear that he is taking initiative.

ensco
04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Big hug on camera between Carver and Guevara just before they walked into the Dressing Room. Great win today. Dumb thread.

I don't know what someone of your powers of insight and logic is doing on these boards, you should be spending your time splitting the atom.

Shakes McQueen
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
I thought he was banned .... if not, that is great to hear that he is taking initiative.

I heard about him getting fined. Never heard anything about a ban.

Can you ban a coach from the sidelines, for stuff he says after a game is over?

- Scott

LucaGol
04-22-2009, 09:28 PM
I come in peace.

I'm very pleased with Carver's about face on the formation. Good for him (for now), he realized something was wrong ... and apparently he's trying to fix it.

Cronin and Robinson locked the door through the middle, and there was plenty movement with the three forwards in the final third.

There's definitely room for upside and variation with this new plan.

One complaint ... I would start Ibrahim instead of Barrett.

The avatar still stays until we win against KC.

woolly
04-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I come in peace.

I'm very pleased with Carver's about face on the formation. Good for him (for now), he realized something was wrong ... and apparently he's trying to fix it.

Cronin and Robinson locked the door through the middle, and there was plenty movement with the three forwards in the final third.

I dunno about Ibby for Barrett... Barrett was solid in defense and a constant irritent for the Chivas defense. Ibby when he was on was fairly ineffective and his strength is no match for Barrett who was able to muscle aside the defenders.

I think Inbby shoudl have gone on for Dichio who was obviously slowing in the last 20 minutes

Gixmo
04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Man, some of you guys have no imagination when it comes to coaching...

He observed from a different vantage point - It happens in every league, albeit not advertised.. Why,

.... cause no one gives a damn......

/flamesuiton

sidney
04-22-2009, 09:38 PM
At the beggining of the press conference Cummings said, in response to a reporter's question "Where's JC", "he has his reasons." Sure that can mean a lot, but I think Carver wanted to shake things up from top to bottom. Why not, it worked!

billyfly
04-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I come in peace.

Thank you Lucagol. This is what we want more of. Comments and debate without so much poison. Kudos to you. Keep it up.

Shakes McQueen
04-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Thank you Lucagol. This is what we want more of. Comments and debate without so much poison. Kudos to you. Keep it up.

Agreed 100% man.

- Scott

LucaGol
04-22-2009, 09:47 PM

Agreed 100% man.

- Scott

Group hug. :grouphug:

lol

Winning is fun.

Phil
04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I come in peace.

Nice post, I will try to keep my mind a bit more open when I read further posts from you. :D

I liked Barret tonight, the keeper did put a touch on his one big chance and he was the victim of some brutal offside calls in the second half. But that is football. It probably will be Ibrahim's start on Sunday just because of the busy week though.

As for Carver, I wouldn't read too much into it. He probably thought seeing the game from a different perspective and putting some distance between him and the officials was a good thing.

BRed
04-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Scott stop writing

-Scott at the bottom, we get the point and this isn't a company message.

-Scott

Cambridge_Red
04-22-2009, 11:12 PM
This actually occurs in England quite a bit managers can see the game better from a higher perspective.

Shakes McQueen
04-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Scott stop writing

-Scott at the bottom, we get the point and this isn't a company message.

-Scott

I don't do it to try and sound cool or formal, I do it because it's a habit that his been ingrained into my head from my years of writing long dissertations back and forth on political issues, on other duscussion forums.

It's also absolutely no big deal, so get over it.

- SCOTT

Carts
04-22-2009, 11:17 PM
ALARM ALARM a Registered User wants to rips Carver - even after we beat the best team in the league... SOUND THE ALARM!

This is getting predictable & worse...

Much worse...

Carts...

andyc
04-22-2009, 11:20 PM
This actually occurs in England quite a bit managers can see the game better from a higher perspective.

But they don't miss the post game press conference... Either Carver has been internally (TFC) suspended or he's making a statement...

Ageroo
04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
I am sure we will hear something from Carver soon enough....we all know what Toronto media is like. They will not give up until they talk to him.

Cambridge_Red
04-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Probably just reading a little too far into it.

Shakes McQueen
04-22-2009, 11:23 PM
But they don't miss the post game press conference... Either Carver has been internally (TFC) suspended or he's making a statement...

My guess is after his blow up in Dallas, he just wanted to stay away from the press for a game.

- Scott

jloome
04-22-2009, 11:24 PM
I'll say this: last year, when he was suspended for a game, the same thing happened, the team played really well with Cummins handling things on the sideline and Carver calling instructions from upstairs.

It is possible, without it reflecting on his tactics or coaching, that some of the players told him it IS distracting to have your coach yelling instructions all game long. And if that's the case, and that's why he went upstairs, then good on him for adjusting to what makes them comfortable.

nfitz
04-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Not sure why the conspiracy theories. Carver looked quite happy when they showed him on TV after the game.

Big Bruva
04-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Nothing wrong with JC and nothing to talk about.

drewski
04-23-2009, 06:16 AM
much ado about nothing

ensco
04-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Interesting how the result influences people's opinion.

If we'd been tied late, and Carver had not been on the sideline and no showed for the press conference with no explanation, this board would be lit up like a Christmas tree over it. Guaranteed.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Having spent 2009 thus far in the shadows, Mo suddenly makes a lengthy appearance on the broadcast.

whatever, Carver chose today's tactics and starting eleven, and both were pretty much the reason we won. Dichio, as I've said a zillion times, creates a huge problem for the opposing defence just by being there. His height alone is a preoccupation, never mind his touch on the ball.

Vitti should be starting every match in my opinion, he probably should have come off earlier though with his lack of full fitness. We should stick with the same team next week, it manages to work Dichio, Barrett and Vitti into the team and proved pretty effective IMO, we actually were able to keep possession, which shocked me.

And yeah, ensco, I have to agree. :D

Canadian Blue
04-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Didn't Sam Allardyce use to watch all games from the stands and talk to the bench via radio?

ensco
04-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Didn't Sam Allardyce use to watch all games from the stands and talk to the bench via radio?

Sure. You see that regularly, or at least often enough not to comment on it.

But the manager comes to the press conference. Doubly true on a day with big lineup and formation changes.

When I saw Cummins at the podium and he said that Carver "had his reasons" for not being there, THAT is not business as usual.
I put the thread up within 30 seconds of that.

I agree with those who say drawing any conclusion is speculation, btw. Just saying it's damned interesting.

Dozitwin
04-23-2009, 07:36 AM

I might be wrong, but if he was banned he wouldn't have been allowed to watch from the press box let alone head down to the field. He'd be stuck watching the match from some monitor somewhere in the building.

Nuvinho
04-23-2009, 07:48 AM
I know why the reason Carver wasn't on the touchline:

- He was smart, it was cold and raining, why not sit up in the box.........hahahahaha!!!!

joking!!!

I don't think he has ever played with a 4-3-3 for the entire game, so he just wanted to see it tactically from a different vantage point.

denime
04-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Sure. You see that regularly, or at least often enough not to comment on it.

But the manager comes to the press conference. Doubly true on a day with big lineup and formation changes.

When I saw Cummins at the podium and he said that Carver "had his reasons" for not being there, THAT is not business as usual.
I put the thread up within 30 seconds of that.

I agree with those who say drawing any conclusion is speculation, btw. Just saying it's damned interesting.

I think you are simply bored,and there is nothing wrong with that.:)

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-23-2009, 08:07 AM
I know why the reason Carver wasn't on the touchline:

- He was smart, it was cold and raining, why not sit up in the box.........hahahahaha!!!!

joking!!!

I don't think he has ever played with a 4-3-3 for the entire game, so he just wanted to see it tactically from a different vantage point.
They have pro zone or whatever though, which shows you the game from an overhead view, so there's not really much point in that...

Yohan
04-23-2009, 08:21 AM
They have pro zone or whatever though, which shows you the game from an overhead view, so there's not really much point in that...
i think it's different to see computer graphics to seeing live what's actually going on in the field

denime
04-23-2009, 08:47 AM

Well ,that would be nice if they don't have to send DVD to England first.

After all game is run trough their software they send it back and TFC coaching staff can watch that game from any view they want a day or two after that game,not during the game.

BRed
04-23-2009, 08:55 AM
I don't do it to try and sound cool or formal, I do it because it's a habit that his been ingrained into my head from my years of writing long dissertations back and forth on political issues, on other duscussion forums.

It's also absolutely no big deal, so get over it.

- SCOTT

I was never under it, it was mean as a joke. COME ON YOU SCOTT!!!!!

sulfur
04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Well ,that would be nice if they don't have to send DVD to England first.

After all game is run trough their software they send it back and TFC coaching staff can watch that game from any view they want a day or two after that game,not during the game.
Not only that, but you can see how your guys are reacting to the opponent as it is happening. And vice versa.

ensco
04-23-2009, 09:05 AM
I think you are simply bored,and there is nothing wrong with that.:)

No I just have an appreciation of the size of the egos of people like Mo and Carver.

Beach_Red
04-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Interesting how the result influences people's opinion.

If we'd been tied late, and Carver had not been on the sideline and no showed for the press conference with no explanation, this board would be lit up like a Christmas tree over it. Guaranteed.

Well, it's all about results, that's all that matters. For all we know if we'd been tied late Carver would have been at the press conference.

What we're hoping is that we've been right all along and this team's roster is good enough to compete at the top of MLS but hasn't been able to do it consistently and the team is trying everything they possibly can to get the results.

If the team's play continues to be so up and down we can (I hope) expect all kinds of things to be done.

Parkdale
04-23-2009, 09:13 AM
side note:

you get a different perspective from higher up.
maybe someone (mo? alselmi?) suggested (aka told him he had to) take in a game from high above.

either way, the team played really well, and now carver knows what to work with a little better than before.

wzhxvy
04-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Yes good point Parkdale. I had field side seats yesterday for the first time and compared to my seats which are much higher up...the view is very different...movement off the ball is very hard to judge compared to when you are watching at field level...plus obvious lateral movement is very hard to see as well...

C.Ronaldo
04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
he was trying to get suspended, but only got fined

so he had to take matters into his own hands

he was lighting a fire of passion, that the team really needed

Pachuco
04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Carver staying off the sidelines obviously worked, I hope he does it again :)

T_Mizz
04-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I remember his comments from the last game I remember him watching from the box, the Independiente game, he said that it givs a different perspective but he prefers to be more hands on like a foot off the touchline. I think its great that he saw the team slumping and made drastic changes all around, although the one thing I can say is Dichio seemed to slow down in the last 20 which is much longer than I thought he'd be able to go, and I would've taken him out so he's fresh for this weekend's game. But a win's a win.

Shakes McQueen
04-23-2009, 03:55 PM
I was never under it, it was mean as a joke. COME ON YOU SCOTT!!!!!

Sorry man - you need to put a smiley face in there somewhere, so I know not to take it seriously. :D

I was shocked when I saw that post from you, before you normally seemed so reasonable, haha.

- Scott

wzhxvy
04-23-2009, 04:08 PM
I am happy we won. Good game. But I dont understand why people insist on dismissing the Carver situation. Yes I agree its very normal for him to watch the game from a different vantage point. What I dont understand is why did he not sign the line up card and why did he now show up at the press conference.

My guess...is that he pissed at some of the criticism he has received and this was his little attitide back. I dont care either way as long as he coaches, and makes adjustments during the game.

Shakes McQueen
04-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I am happy we won. Good game. But I dont understand why people insist on dismissing the Carver situation. Yes I agree its very normal for him to watch the game from a different vantage point. What I dont understand is why did he not sign the line up card and why did he now show up at the press conference.

My guess...is that he pissed at some of the criticism he has received and this was his little attitide back. I dont care either way as long as he coaches, and makes adjustments during the game.

I think he wanted to avoid the press hullabaloo about what happened at the last game,

- Scott

Pachuco
04-23-2009, 04:16 PM
ALARM ALARM a Registered User wants to rips Carver - even after we beat the best team in the league... SOUND THE ALARM!

This is getting predictable & worse...

Much worse...

Carts...

I take alot of offense to this comment. So you know, I was an RPB Member up until March and I ripped Carver an a'hole way before that. Registered User, RPB Member, really the only difference is $25 bucks so I'm not sure why you are trying to alianate the two. It's not like RPB screens the members.

Oh, and I didn't really see anyone bashing Carver, Ensco was just questioning why he wasn't on the pitch.

bhoybobby
04-23-2009, 05:30 PM
We're in the 1st row of the 2nd tier. I've watched footie for many years, I gotta tell you, it's a better game watched from a height. How a coach can get a proper complete read on what's going on with his team, or the opposition at ground level, is beyond me.

Same is true for pretty much any field sport.

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-23-2009, 05:40 PM

a lot of managers warch from up in the stands...in europe/uk it happens a lot///they can see more of what is happening.. what ever the reason it worked...we will see JC back on the field Sunday.

Big Bruva
04-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Big Sam, Phil Brown and others too.

Nothing to read into too much.

ensco
04-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I accept all of the comments above about why doing watching the game from above makes sense. That's not my point.

On a day with big lineup changes, why wasn't Carver doing the press conference? That's what I'm asking.

Gixmo
04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
... Give cummins some glory perhaps? He was on the touchline, So he represents the team.

Mountain>mole hill

Nerepis
04-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey ensco, I don't know what someone of your powers of insight and logic is doing on these boards, you should be spending your time splitting the atom.;)

Boris
04-25-2009, 10:55 AM
continue the discussion on todays events here:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=12600