PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Wednesday , Apr.22

denime
04-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Mayor fan of grass for Toronto FC
Allison Hanes

Mayor David Miller, who has attended Toronto FC soccer games with his family, said today he would like to see the professional football club play on grass instead of turf.
But when the team and the city brokered a deal for BMO Field at Exhibition Place, part of the agreement hinged on community benefits:
mainly the installation of a big bubble over the playing field in winter for the use of children and community indoor leagues.

"I’d like to see grass there," Mr Miller said. "If there’s going to be grass there we have to find another place to bubble in the winter to provide the place for young soccer players to get a good start in Toronto.
Part of the goal of this stadium was to increase the quality of soccer in Canada and the accessibility to young people."

Read More (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2009/04/21/mayor-fan-of-grass-for-toronto-fc.aspx)

Depleted TFC in tough against powerful Chivas
Loss of De Rosario will make it even harder for Toronto to get first win of year at BMO Field
Daniel Girard

Less than one-quarter of the way into the season may be too early to talk about must-win games.
But Toronto FC players, winless in their last four games, clearly understand the importance of tonight's tilt against Chivas USA, the first of three straight at BMO Field.
"It's massive," midfielder Carl Robinson said of the need to get the homestand off to a good start. "If you're going to push for the playoffs, which is our aim, then you've got to win your home games.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/622212)

Toronto FC's De Rosario out with hamstring injury, coach Carver fined
cbc.sport

Toronto FC could be without star playmaker Dwayne De Rosario for several weeks due to a hamstring injury suffered in Sunday's game, the team announced Tuesday.
And to add insult to injury, head coach John Carver was fined by Major League Soccer for criticizing the officiating during the same match.
De Rosario, a native of Scarborough, Ont., is scheduled to have a scan to determine the extent of the injury, which he suffered in the 3-2 road loss to FC Dallas.

Read More (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/04/21/sp-tfc-derosario.html)

TFC face MLS best minus DeRo
By RYAN JOHNSTON

A hamstring injury will keep Dwayne De Rosario out of the lineup when Toronto FC faces the league-best Chivas USA on Wednesday at BMO Field.
De Rosario limped off of Sunday's loss to FC Dallas in the 74th minute.

"He's definitely out for two games and it might be more than that," said coach John Carver at training on Tuesday.
"Building up to the match on Sunday it was an issue of him just having a tight hamstring, but you saw from his reaction that he did tear it."

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/04/21/derosario_dwayne_injury/)

TFC look to halt skid against Chivas USA
Reds look to halt skid against unbeaten Red-and-White

The team with the best record in Major League Soccer, Chivas USA, head to the Eastern time zone for the first time this season when they meet a Toronto FC side looking to reverse a recent skid.
Chivas USA are undefeated in five matches on the season, with four victories and league's best defense.
Toronto FC are still looking for a second win on the season, with two losses and two draws in their last four matches.

Read More (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090421&content_id=242614&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC dealt another blow
First questionable officiating, then a fine, now the loss of De Rosario to injury
By LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca)

So how's it going, John Carver, other than losing your best player for three to four weeks, getting fined almost $1,000, struggling at home and facing undefeated Chivas USA tonight in a jam-packed schedule?
Good thing Toronto FC plays better with the odds against it, such as earning four points in two early away games and a rally that almost grabbed a point Sunday in Dallas.
"We came out the second half dead and buried and put on a better show," Carver said of the game in Dallas. "Maybe we do play better as the underdogs, yes."

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/04/22/9198276-sun.html%22)

Toronto FC struggles to find its stride
1 point in 3 games
Eric Koreen

Toronto FC cannot quite bury the past.
The third-year club came into this Major League Soccer season with a minimum expectation of making the playoffs.
But after winning its season opener and earning points in its first two road games, Toronto has just one point to show from its last three matches.
And while TFC would like to be focusing on a three-game home stand that starts tonight against league-leading Chivas USA, the club cannot forget what has preceded it.

Read More (http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/story.html?id=1520415)

MLS Preview: Chivas USA At Toronto FC

Chivas USA head for their first trip to the east coast this season looking to cement their place at the top of the pile.
Toronto FC will look to ignite their home form despite the absence of talisman Dwayne De Rosario following a run of disappointing results.
Managing expectations
Toronto FC seems to revel in the status of underdogs and have so far failed to live up to their preseason hype. They seem unable to overcome their habit of conceding late goals.
The management and players are both at a loss to explain the reason for their late game jitters. Addressing that issue may take some doing, as will filling the boots of the injured De Rosario for the next few weeks.

Read More (http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal_major_league_soccer&prov=goal&type=lgns)

Canada U-17 draws Honduras
THE CANADIAN PRESS

TIJUANA, Mexico -- The Canadian men's under-17 soccer team scored drew 1-1 against Honduras on Tuesday at the CONCACAF U-17 soccer championship.

The game, played in withering 30C heat, saw Canada go ahead 1-0 at the 40-minute mark on a penalty kick by Russell Teibert of Niagara Falls, Ont.

The member of the Vancouver Whitecaps' youth program fired into the low corner to put the Canadians ahead.

Read More (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/04/21/canada_honduras/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

denime
04-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Mornin' all

Enjoy reading !

COME ON YOU REDS!!!

Mark in Ottawa
04-22-2009, 06:13 AM
"Carver was fined $750 US by MLS later Tuesday for calling referee Tim Weyland's performance "a disgrace" in the weekend loss to FC Dallas."

Maybe the fans should set up a drop box at BMO...
"Drop a loonie here if you agree with Coach Carver's comments about the refereeing in Dallas"

After we pay the fine in loonies we can donate the rest to charity cause I am sure we would get over $750. :D

pubboy
04-22-2009, 06:34 AM
SSG - :yum:

Carter
04-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Mornin D!

SSG, :o

COMEEEEEE OOONNNNN YOUUUUU REDSS!!!!!!!

CretanBull
04-22-2009, 06:46 AM
^ I'll match your $20.

Lets raise money and donate it to Canadian National Institute for the Blind on behalf of Carver and the RPB.

JonO
04-22-2009, 06:50 AM
^^ Actually that a pretty good idea. Funny and raises money for a good cause

CoachGT
04-22-2009, 06:58 AM
"Carver was fined $750 US by MLS later Tuesday for calling referee Tim Weyland's performance "a disgrace" in the weekend loss to FC Dallas."

"Drop a loonie here if you agree with Coach Carver's comments about the refereeing in Dallas"

After we pay the fine in loonies we can donate the rest to charity cause I am sure we would get over $750. :D

I'm in for $20, and I'll set up a box on Sunday.

denime
04-22-2009, 07:05 AM

^
Lets raise money and donate it to Canadian National Institute for the Blind on behalf of Carver and the RPB.

I like this idea !!

scooter
04-22-2009, 07:21 AM
how about we donate $ 750.00 to canadian national institute for the blind in carver's name

oh and mornin all

come on you reds -- its game day whooooooo

GBV
04-22-2009, 07:27 AM
mail bag letter:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/fanfare/2009/04/22/9198341-sun.html

KRO
04-22-2009, 07:29 AM
^ I'll match your $20.

Put me down for $20 - I think it's a great idea.

Eastend
04-22-2009, 07:34 AM
^ I'll match your $20.

Good gesture to donate it to a charity but I think this is an insult to the CNIB.....

I say setup the box and donate it to one of our current charities.

scooter
04-22-2009, 07:36 AM
i am not being dumb i started that post at 8am and just got back to it

CretanBull
04-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Good gesture to donate it to a charity but I think this is an insult to the CNIB.....

I considered that point of view, but in the end they'll get some money (and without question its a worthy cause) and it's not like they have to be in on the joke of it so it's no disrespect towards them. The charity of choice makes the connection to the situation...raising money for the Terry Fox Foundation because our coach was fined for criticizing a ref's bad call doesn't really add up, ya know?

Eastend
04-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I get your point....but wouldn't want the potential backlash on it that's all.

keem-o-sabi
04-22-2009, 07:52 AM
today's coed (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/) Girl yummy. I'll have to pitch in some $$ to the cause too. It sounds good though to donate it to an organization. Hey anytime we can get positive press saying we are donating things the better.

Nuvinho
04-22-2009, 07:56 AM
If you guys are doing it, I am in.

We should also let newspapers, bloggers, etc. know about this. Let them run with the story and get a reaction from Garber.

CoachGT
04-22-2009, 08:01 AM

I say setup the box and donate it to one of our current charities.

So perhaps the idea is to ask them whether they'd consider it an insult. They might find it a novel way of generating money and might even have a bit of a laugh at it!

Chevy
04-22-2009, 08:03 AM

Hell, I would pay the whole $750 myself if it would get Carter to stop bitching at the 4th official all game and actually coach a little.

lips
04-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Thats a great idea I'm in for $20 which ever way you do it.
If every time JC gets fined we can help out a charity just hope he wont start doing it on purpose.:D

TorCanSoc
04-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Donate the $750 in Carver's name, and he'll get the tax receipt.

Parkdale
04-22-2009, 08:19 AM
doesn't $750 seem a little mickey mouse to anyone else?

take this for example:
http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/silas_fine_050317.html

an NBA coach is fined $10,000 for making comments to one of his own players after a practice.
You'd think it's not uncommon for a coach to yell at his team when needed. That's nothing compared to calling on a ref.

Parkdale
04-22-2009, 08:21 AM
or this one:

Cleveland's coach was fined $25,000 by the NBA on Thursday for publicly criticizing referee Joey Crawford following the Cavaliers' last-second loss at Indiana earlier this week.

Although league disciplinarian Stu Jackson said in a release that Brown had been fined for comments made about "the officials," Brown's postgame tirade was directed at Crawford, who whistled LeBron James for a foul on Pacers forward Danny Granger in the final second. Crawford felt James made contact with Granger, who sank one free throw to give Indiana a 96-95 win.

Brown claimed Crawford made a predetermined -- or makeup -- call against James, who had been involved in a similar play moments earlier when Granger was whistled for a foul while trying to defend an alley-oop pass intended for James.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/02/12/brown.fined/index.html?rss=true

$25,000 ?????????????????????

CretanBull
04-22-2009, 08:23 AM
I just called the CNIB and explained the situation and they are absolutely fine with the donation. They only asked that we submit a letter (which I'm willing to write) explaining the situation in writing and they gave me a contact e-mail address. They'd also like our permission to use the 'story' for their own promotion. I told them that I didn't have the authority to grant the permission at the time, but that I didn't think that it would be a problem.

CretanBull
04-22-2009, 08:24 AM
^^ Basketball coaches make $1 million, minimum (when the Raps fired Mitchell he was making $4 million). Carver doesn't make anywhere near that...it's all relative.

Technorgasm
04-22-2009, 08:39 AM
as soon as Dero went down, when we were watching at Joes, I saw his mouth say "Hamstring"

then out of my mouth came "at least 3 weeks"

Sometimes it suck to be right.

NOW!!! CHIVAS!!
WILL WE GET THE BALL TO GOD DAMN GUEVARA?
SO HE CAN RUN IN DOWN THE GOD DAMN PITCH
UP THE GOD DAMN MIDDLE
AND NOT HAVE TO SUFFER THROUGH THIS GOD DAMN PUNTING OVER THE TOP GOD DAMN BULLCRAP?
MAYBE GET A GOD DAMN FORWARD ON THE END OF IT
AND PUT IT IN THE GOD DAMN NET?

like - GOD DAMN!!!!

Im sorry
But Im god damn'd pissed that our most creative and best players are not getting the ball enough.
fuck the god damn long ball, have faith in your team mates,
and fucking work together out there!

Carter
04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
as soon as Dero went down, when we were watching at Joes, I saw his mouth say "Hamstring"

then out of my mouth came "at least 3 weeks"

Sometimes it suck to be right.

NOW!!! CHIVAS!!
WILL WE GET THE BALL TO GOD DAMN GUEVARA?
SO HE CAN RUN IN DOWN THE GOD DAMN PITCH
UP THE GOD DAMN MIDDLE
AND NOT HAVE TO SUFFER THROUGH THIS GOD DAMN PUNTING OVER THE TOP GOD DAMN BULLCRAP?
MAYBE GET A GOD DAMN FORWARD ON THE END OF IT
AND PUT IT IN THE GOD DAMN NET?

like - GOD DAMN!!!!

Im sorry
But Im god damn'd pissed that our most creative and best players are not getting the ball enough.
fuck the god damn long ball, have faith in your team mates,
and fucking work together out there!

and in the words of my buddy techno...

EAT IT

CoachGT
04-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Mark Cuban was recently fined $25,000 for comments made on Twitter. He had previously been fined $100K for comments about referees.

The $750 in this case gives an indication as to the seriousness of the "crime". The comments posted yesterday in the LA media go a long way to supporting what Carver said. I wondered when I read them whether it would have any impact on the discipline - maybe it did and maybe not. But the same ref has come under criticism from several teams in the last few weeks. So did they all get hit with the same sort of fine?

And CretanBull, good on ya' for contacting CNIB! You beat me to it!

Cas87
04-22-2009, 09:44 AM
I like the fact TFC is "depleted" meanwhile Chivas is missing about 10 guys if not more!
Granted DeRo is out for us but its only him and OBW.

Its just funny as hell to me

Redcoe15
04-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I am not liking our side's chances tonight against the Goats, what with all the shit piling up, :(

At least today's SSG is a smokin' hottie! :yum: :drool5: :D

Oldtimer
04-22-2009, 09:51 AM
MLSE upgrading their media recording facilities:

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment is creating a central media repository to store and archive all of its digital broadcasting workflow -- from production and ingest through editing, post-production and play-out. MLSE operates three television channels, two in SD and the third in HD, and has a fourth going live later this year. The DDN xStreamScaler serves as the central storage repository for all video and audio content.

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/issues/ISArticle.asp?id=99066&issue=04222009

rocker
04-22-2009, 10:05 AM
today's coed (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/) Girl yummy.

today is one day where the SSG is better than the coed. :)

T.Reis
04-22-2009, 10:06 AM
If you guys are serious about donating to Carver's fine and having the rest go to charity then I'm in for a $20 also. Just let me know where to drop it off.

I hope u guys (the RPB do this) because it should get some positive media attention, and after all the crap in Columbus, I think the meida has forgot that you guys have done a lot of good charity work in the past.

Get your RPB president, or whoever, to make this happen.

rocker
04-22-2009, 10:07 AM
I like the fact TFC is "depleted" meanwhile Chivas is missing about 10 guys if not more!
Granted DeRo is out for us but its only him and OBW.

Its just funny as hell to me

well, depends on what description you think applies... I think depleted applies to TFC.. while devastated applied to Chivas ;)

You'd think Chivas plays on field turf looking at all these injuries!!! ;)

CHIVAS USA
OUT: FW Justin Braun (R knee sprain); DF Bobby Burling (sports hernia surgery); FW Maykel Galindo (sports hernia surgery); DF Ante Jazic (concussion); GK Dan Kennedy (R knee sprain); FW Ante Razov (R ankle surgery); DF Claudio Suárez (L calf strain); DF Lawson Vaughn (L ankle surgery); MF Sasha Victorine (L knee surgery)

tupalev
04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
^ I'll match your $20.

This is terrific idea! I'm in for $20 as well, keep us posted on how you would like the cash.

DangerRed
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm also in for $20 if you guys want to donate to the CNIB. It'd be great to get some media attention for this, just as the MLS fine got in the press.

Meanwhile, tonight's gonna be tough against the Goats, but I'll be in the stands cheering my heart out!!

COME ON YOU BLOODY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS!!!!!!!! !

Jack
04-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Guys, Carver makes enough money to pay this fine.

If you want to support him, why not paint a banner or something?

We do a lot of charity stuff throughout the year, but we're not a charity group per se.

As for positive publicity, that's not why you give to a charity.

denime
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
I would suggest we can mach up the money($750) Carver has to pay,and donate it to CNIB on behalf of RPB.
We don't have to pay for him, MLSE will pay for him anyway.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-22-2009, 10:44 AM
great to see our Canadian youth team made up of vancouver and toronto youth acadamies.....this will be great for the development of our CMNT one day!....this is why teams from montreal and ottawa getting into MLS is vita for our national programs...

good to see all the best to the u-17's!

I noticed GOLtv are overing the southamerican..u-17's.....how about concacaff???

Roogsy
04-22-2009, 10:47 AM
great to see our Canadian youth team made up of vancouver and toronto youth acadamies.....this will be great for the development of our CMNT one day!....this is why teams from montreal and ottawa getting into MLS is vita for our national programs...

I noticed GOLtv are overing the southamerican..u-17's.....how about concacaff???

Because GolTV (despite it's MLSE ownership) is affiliated with the Gol Network out of Miami, their access to South American games is much easier than trying to sort out who is covering what in CONCACAF. Unless there are local feeds to pick up, and then the issue of sorting out rights, commentators etc. my guess is that it's too much trouble for the cost with very little upside.

That being said, I do wish they would. I just think from a business point of view it doesn't make much sense.

Pachuco
04-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Guys, Carver makes enough money to pay this fine.

If you want to support him, why not paint a banner or something?

We do a lot of charity stuff throughout the year, but we're not a charity group per se.

As for positive publicity, that's not why you give to a charity.

Am I ever glad you said that. If you guys do this as an official group and people read the comments on here, you would probably give more bad press then good press to the group. Some people (including the CNIB) can find what is being said insulting.You donate to charities because you believe in their cause, NOT to make a completely unrelated statement.

loyola
04-22-2009, 11:05 AM

No games on GolTV but apparently, you can watch the games a few hours after they ended on the CONCACAF website. Here's the link:

http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/U17/index.aspx

Nuvinho
04-22-2009, 11:28 AM
MLSE took the $750 from its petty cash lunch fund for the week.

CretanBull
04-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Am I ever glad you said that. If you guys do this as an official group and people read the comments on here, you would probably give more bad press then good press to the group. Some people (including the CNIB) can find what is being said insulting.You donate to charities because you believe in their cause, NOT to make a completely unrelated statement.

We've had contact with and got feedback from the CNIB, they recognize the light hearted nature of the joke and take no offense to it at all.

keem-o-sabi
04-22-2009, 01:11 PM
you can watch the entire games on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=90351F1EDF9C4BFE)Concacaf is posting them there.

BFin
04-22-2009, 01:42 PM
I'd hit it.

Hating not being able to go tonight.
Carter, I expect updates.

Markham_RPB
04-22-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd hit it.

Hating not being able to go tonight.
Carter, I expect updates.

I expect reports from both you Fin, and Carter !

I'm stuck at work !

BFin
04-22-2009, 02:53 PM
I will relay Carter's messages.