PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday , May.30

denime
05-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Cunningham to start up front against L.A. Galaxy
`I almost feel like a rookie again,' says TFC veteran of spot in lineup
MORGAN CAMPBELL

Midway through yesterday's practice, Toronto FC head coach John Carver sidled up to Jeff Cunningham, flung an arm around the striker's shoulder and delivered a soliloquy in his ear.
Besides complimenting Cunningham on how natural he looked on the catwalk at the team's charity fashion show Wednesday night, Carver said he expected Cunningham to look just as sharp tomorrow against the L.A. Galaxy.
Cunningham, currently ranked third in scoring among active MLS players, hasn't started a league game since April 5, but logged 90 minutes in Tuesday night's Canada Cup match against Montreal. Yesterday Carver told him that with the Montreal game behind him, he expects Cunningham to torment L.A. defenders the way he did in April, when he scored the game-winning goal as a substitute.
Cunningham saw the impromptu speech as both a vote of confidence and a challenge.
"I almost feel like a rookie again," said Cunningham, who has scored 97 times in his MLS career. "I'm a bit nervous, knowing it's an opportunity that might not present itself again. It's a lot of pressure, but it brings out the best at times."

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/433871)

Donovan rejoins Galaxy in Toronto

Associated Press

SANTANDER, Spain — Forward Landon Donovan rejoined the Los Angeles Galaxy on Thursday ahead of the team's Major League Soccer match at Toronto this weekend and is questionable for the United States' exhibition game against Spain next week.
Donovan missed Wednesday's 2-0 loss at England because of a tight groin and met up in Canada with the Galaxy, who play Toronto FC on Saturday. The U.S. Soccer Federation said the 26-year-old Donovan, one game from becoming the fourth-youngest player in the world with 100 international appearances, is expected to rejoin the national team ahead of Wednesday's match against the Spaniards.
David Beckham, Donovan's teammate on the Galaxy, will miss Los Angeles' match at Toronto to be with England's national team for Sunday's exhibition game at Trinidad and Tobago.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080529.wspt-donny29/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

De Rosario, de Guzman call out CSA

MATTHEW SCIANITTI

Dwayne De Rosario and Julian de Guzman, two of Canada's most prominent soccer players, are speaking out against what De Rosario calls the Canadian Soccer Association's “poor support” of the men's national team.
The two players made the comments as Canada prepares for an exhibition match against Brazil, ranked No. 2 in the world, at Qwest Field in Seattle tomorrow. Canada will also face Panama in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Wednesday.
The two matches are preparation for Canada's FIFA World Cup qualifying series against St. Vincent and the Grenadines next month.
John Billingsley, the CSA's deputy chief operating officer, has said the 2008 budget for the men's team is more than $1-million.
“It's not enough,” said De Rosario, a two-time Canadian soccer player of the year, “and they know it's not enough. … The CSA has to realize some of the situations that the players are under and realize that there is more than just going out there and playing.”
De Rosario bemoans the lack of international matches, quality accommodations and proper transportation that he feels are essential to creating team chemistry. He scoffs at the notion that added sponsorship – which Billingsley says has helped to increase the CSA's annual budget to an estimated $13-million – has trickled down to the men's team.
“If we do have sponsorships,” De Rosario said, “it is either they [the CSA] get the money and we are not seeing much of the benefits, or the money is coming in and we do not know where it is going.”

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080529.soccer-can30/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Toronto FC pursuing Brian McBride

By John F. Molinaro

Brian McBride is coming home to Major League Soccer, and Toronto could be where he lands.
McBride's contract with English Premier League club Fulham expired at the end of the 2007-08 season and the veteran American forward announced this week he was leaving the London team after four years to return to MLS.
The Chicago native played for the Columbus Crew from 1996 until 2004 and was a seven-time all-star before signing with Fulham.
The Chicago Fire are just one of many MLS suitors said to be interested in McBride, but Toronto FC has the first chance to sign him to a contract because the Canadian club owns his allocation rights. However, if Toronto can't ink McBride to a deal, it could still trade him to another MLS team.
Toronto FC general manager Mo Johnston told reporters Thursday that while he is very interested in signing McBride, he also confirmed he's talking to other MLS teams to see what he could get in exchange for the former Fulham star.
"We're exploring every avenue. Obviously, we have the allocation slot, so we'll look at it, we'll be speaking to several clubs and see how it goes," Johnston said.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/05/29/toronto-fc.html)

Canada looks forward to friendly with Brazil

Canada faces a daunting challenge when it takes on Brazil in a friendly at Qwest Field in Seattle Saturday evening as part of its preparation for the upcoming 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.
Canadian coach Dale Mitchell will have the unenviable task of deciding on a starting roster for the match against Brazil, the world's No. 2 ranked nation.
The Canadian roster is stocked, bolstered by the availability of European-based players who are in their off-season, but would usually not be called up for a friendly in North America.
In goal, Mitchell will likely choose from Toronto FC's Greg Sutton or Pat Onstad of the Houston Dynamo.
Both are veterans and capable of leading Canada into World Cup qualifying.

Read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/05/29/soccer-brazil-canada.html)

'A great chance' for Canadian soccer
By STEVE BUFFERY (steve.buffery@sunmedia.ca)

Toronto FC captain Jim Brennan has decided not to join the Canadian national team for tomorrow's friendly against Brazil in Seattle.
But that doesn't mean Brennan isn't high on Canada's chances of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup.
"I think we have a great chance to qualify for this World Cup. We've got good players, a lot of guys are playing in (the MLS), a lot of guys over in Europe, and I think we have a great opportunity," said Brennan, who will join the national side after tomorrow's TFC game in preparation for a friendly against Panama on June 4 in Fort Lauderdale. His TFC teammate, goalkeeper Greg Sutton, is in Seattle with the national side.
"We've got two nice stadiums now with this one (BMO Field) and the one in Montreal (Stade Saputo), not like where we played before in a park in Kingston (for two 2006 World Cup qualifying games), so it's good and it's exciting times for Canada," he said.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/05/30/5718641-sun.html)

'I'm delighted he's not here'
Becks no-show doesn't upset TFC coach
SUN MEDIA

Just as the Toronto FC practice wrapped up at BMO Field yesterday, a large helicopter flew overhead, prompting one wag to suggest that soccer's golden boy, David Beckham, was arriving for tomorrow afternoon's game.
But, alas, Beckham will not play for the Los Angeles Galaxy against Toronto FC in the only regular-season match here between the two MLS sides -- marking the second consecutive season the English soccer star has been unable to perform in front of the Toronto faithful.
But forgive Toronto FC coach John Carver for not shedding any tears.
"I'm disappointed for the fans and the ladies in the crowd, but I'm absolutely over the moon that he's not here, because he's still a top player and we saw that in the service he provided for John Terry's goal," Carver said, in reference to Beckham's setup in the U.S.-England friendly on Wednesday night at Wembley Stadium. "So deep inside, I'm delighted he's not here."
Still, TFC will have its hands full against the Galaxy, even without Beckham in the lineup. U.S. international Landon Donovan, the MLS leader in both goals (nine) and assists (six), will be back in the Galaxy lineup after travelling to England but not playing there due to a tight groin. And the Galaxy does lead the Western Conference with a 4-3-2 record, matching TFC's mark.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/05/30/5718646-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html):drool5:

Alarius
05-30-2008, 06:13 AM
SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html):drool5:

NICE! How Much?:sheep:

Smuttynose
05-30-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm disappointed for the fans and the ladies in the crowd

:rofl::rofl::rofl: that's awesome!

Cambridge_Red
05-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Cunnigham: "Honestly, I've never felt settled here," he said. "There's players coming in and out, coaches looking to improve the team. That's fair. That's the business we're in."

No shit, buck up sunshine put the ball in the net and stop sulking.

Fort York Redcoat
05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Cunny says he's nervous. I can see why. The article below his is about McBride. This looks like win it for us or you're out...

Nice call Jimmy. TFC vs friendly makes sense from what's being said about the national teams chemistry. An injured Landycakes? Not playing on a big stage like Wembley? You're kdding...

Technorgasm
05-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Cunny says he's nervous. I can see why. The article below his is about McBride. This looks like win it for us or you're out...

Nice call Jimmy. TFC vs friendly makes sense from what's being said about the national teams chemistry. An injured Landycakes? Not playing on a big stage like Wembley? You're kdding...

I was just saying last night, that Cunny does not feel the right kind of "Fight for your spot" pressure that a lot of the other positions, specifically defenders feel. . maybe he has become complacent. But its all to do for him tomorrow. . and he knows it. If TFC make it oublic that they are looking at another striker, now is the time for cunny to shine.

His pace is un-real, he has the skill, we have seen the spots of brilliance, but without the drive and pressure. . he has fallen a bit short.

With great service. . comes great accountability!

WALK ON

Daveisonfire
05-30-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm glad to see Cunningham start, the Galaxy showed against the Whitecaps that they can't handle pace whatsoever...I just hope Cunny can use it smartly and actually finish for a change.

TFC Cityboy
05-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Glad that Landycakes is coming..I'll have to hit Dollarama for some pink streamers now!

Carts
05-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Carver: ""I'm disappointed for the fans and the ladies in the crowd, but I'm absolutely over the moon that he's not here"

Carver is a beauty!

Carts...

graeme117
05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Carver: ""I'm disappointed for the fans and the ladies in the crowd, but I'm absolutely over the moon that he's not here"

Carver is a beauty!

Carts...

That had me laughing too :lol:, part because i feel the same way about becky being a threat and part b/c it screwed over the scalpers :D

James17930
05-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Cunny is being shopped, simple as that. He'll score a goal, we'll win, and then he'll be gone within the week.

scooter
05-30-2008, 12:26 PM
tks denime

Zidane10
05-30-2008, 02:47 PM
I wonder if McBride is still any good. If so, he could be what we're missing up front.

Zidane10
05-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Cunny is being shopped, simple as that. He'll score a goal, we'll win, and then he'll be gone within the week.
You can count on trader Mo for that! The fact is, Cunny probably won't score many more goals in MLS, because he's starting to get washed up. What will we get for him if we trade, though? A Braz quality player? I've had enough of those, thank you very much! We need to sign a quality DP striker and if we can't trade Cunny, just keep on the bench or get rid of him.

jloome
05-30-2008, 08:15 PM
The fact is, he's been hella-streaky his whole career. In 2000, he had 2 goals in 20. If he gets his confidence back, he's the kinda guy who'll go on a seven to 10 goal tear over a eight or 10 games.

But then he'll disappear for another year. I think at his age ,and still exhibiting good speed, he'd be a great first striker off the bench, if we could afford it and the spot.

ThunderBaby
05-30-2008, 10:11 PM
I was disappointed with Cunningham's performance in Montreal against the Impact. I do hope that this shape up or ship out mentality will light a fire under his ass and he can get some balls in the net this weekend.
He has some good speed, if he could just pay more attention to what his teammates are doing to set him up, we'd be set.