PDA

View Full Version : Onward! - Time for real time

Ben Knight
04-19-2009, 08:13 AM
"Stoppage time" my Aunt Fanny!

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/04/19/time-for-real-time/

Kooper
04-19-2009, 09:20 AM
I love the drama of not knowing. The moment from when the ref checks his watch then blows the whistle can seem like ever.

DRock
04-19-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree, it sure keeps you on the edge of your seat, keeps you excited till the end (unless it's not a close game). But whatever, it won't apply to us if we keep giving away goals in the 87th minute!

Toronto_Bhoy
04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Ohhhhhhhh Ben...honestly.

Carts
04-20-2009, 09:02 PM
I hate reading sh*t like this...

Embrace the game - don't try to "Americanize" it...

Every time someone points out "...that's not how North American sports do things..." people see it as 'bush league' because of their ignorance...

I honestly expect more for Ben as I have enjoyed his blogs in the past. This one dissapoints me...

Hey, to each their own, and everyone has a right to their opinion. But in my opinion, blogs/articles/posts/etc on things like this are a step backward for the MLS every time their posted/published...

Carts...

TFC 420
04-21-2009, 12:06 AM
I remember when MLS first started, they had the 45 min clock and a break-away shoot-out to decide tied matches. both of which i hated and I'm happy that MLS changed to the rules used today. Nothing worse then an attack being stopped prematurly because time expiring.

tlear
04-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Because fucking with the rules for the game used around the world is a GREAT idea.... whats next timeouts?

scooter
04-21-2009, 07:18 AM
not this time ben
i agree in principle with your thoughts due to poor refereeing
no way can we change this because it changes the laws of the game

its bad enough the game of football is called soccer in this country

Lucky Strike
04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Yeah, no changes are needed to the stoppage time business. Sure it's not accurate down to the second, but it just wouldn't be real football without it. It's not that good of an argument to be honest, but I wouldn't watch a league that doesn't stick by IFAB (I think that's the right acronym) rules.

As a last thought, referees are taught that by the book, you should add 30 seconds for every substitution made. You add time for injuries as appropriate and I'm sure the referee can keep track of how much time goes by between when a goal is scored and when play resumes (if there isn't a by-the-book standard already). Finally, the referee can add time if he feels there's timewasting like one did to TFC early in 2008. He added one minute because a TFC player had kicked the ball away or something.

So while it's not accurate to the second, it's pretty darn good.

flatpicker
04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Leave the clock as it is... but fix the MLS refs.

If the rest of Europe changes their form of time keeping, then fine, we change too.

Mark in Ottawa
04-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Sorry Ben but -1 from here.
I like the system as it exists I just wish that the refs would take into account the blatant wasting of time (especially in extra time).

I want 90 minutes of play!