PDA

View Full Version : Carver is media shy?...I don't buy it

Tezza
04-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I listen to World Soccer Daily on Sirius every day and now they have a new forum site at BigSoccer. I went to check it out and saw this thread

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17488237#post17488237

They said they had most of the MLS coaches on and I have heard some of the interviews so I asked if they could get Johnny Carver on. Here is the response.

Originally Posted by Tezza http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/images/bigsoccer/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17488211#post17488211)
Any chance of getting John Carver from TFC on the show? I would be very interested in his take on the MLS having coached at Newcastle, and his feelings on the quality of the league.
Nope, not right now. Michelle Lissel @ TFC Media and PR told WSD categorically "Carver won't do radio interviews" back when the guys brought in all the MLS head coaches to talk up their teams. He's the only one who refused.

I find that odd that he would shy away from providing media attention to the league, team, by doing an interview on a show that airs on Satellite radio. Sux to be honest.

Phil
04-17-2009, 11:08 AM
This is only one side of the story, who knows what the demand on the timeline is?

Carvers job is to coach TFC, not give raido interviews. I am fine with his refusal.

Lucky Strike
04-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Without trying to be a jerk about it, we had a thread on that a little while back. But yeah, he doesn't seem media shy. There's just less need to promote TFC because we don't really need it, unlike the Colorados, Dallases, and KKKolumbuses of the world.

LucaGol
04-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Without trying to be a jerk about it, we had a thread on that a little while back. But yeah, he doesn't seem media shy. There's just less need to promote TFC because we don't really need it, unlike the Colorados, Dallases, and KKKolumbuses of the world.

It's not about promoting the team, its about granting an interview when one of the few soccer media voices in North America requests one.

Steven and Kenny may come across as disliking the MLS (what they actually dislike is Don Garber and the many useless rules) ... but they genuinely do take an interest in the league, Kenny in particular.

TOBOR !
04-17-2009, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Carver won't do them as a rule because he doesn't want to talk to that idiot McCown, which would be problematic given the relationship between the team and the station.

I remember when Mo was being interviewed by McCown and had to answer such questions as 'will you try to sign a star player such as... oh, what's his name? Poo-poo ? Ka-ka ?'.

RIght then and there Mo probably decided to never speak to the FAN again and Carver probably felt the same.

Lucky Strike
04-17-2009, 11:31 AM
It's not about promoting the team, its about granting an interview when one of the few soccer media voices in North America requests one.

Steven and Kenny may come across as disliking the MLS (what they actually dislike is Don Garber and the many useless rules) ... but they genuinely do take an interest in the league, Kenny in particular.

Yeah, I didn't really explain what I meant properly. You're right, it is about that but it's also (for me anyway) important to consider that the lesser teams that I mentioned earlier will likely be more inclined to agree to a request for an interview to promote it, not just with fans but also in general, to raise the importance/prestige of their team to try and attract new players. Hope I explained that well.

Shway
04-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Carvers Got Tfc Tv To Do!!!
Let The Watch That

Lucky Strike
04-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Carver won't do them as a rule because he doesn't want to talk to that idiot McCown, which would be problematic given the relationship between the team and the station.

I remember when Mo was being interviewed by McCown and had to answer such questions as 'will you try to sign a star player such as... oh, what's his name? Poo-poo ? Ka-ka ?'.

RIght then and there Mo probably decided to never speak to the FAN again and Carver probably felt the same.

Seriously? That actually happened? If so, I'm surprised he still has a program. It shows not only was he unprepared, he also makes really juvenile and immature jokes. A poo joke? Come on. I didn't expect that, even from someone as lowbrow as him.

TOBOR !
04-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Seriously? That actually happened? If so, I'm surprised he still has a program. It shows not only was he unprepared, he also makes really juvenile and immature jokes. A poo joke? Come on. I didn't expect that, even from someone as lowbrow as him.

Oh, I'm serious -this was back in 2007 and may even have been before the season kicked off. For the actual show it was announced that Mo would be calling in and leading up to it there was probably some talk about the UEFA Champions League results and through conversation McCown discovered that there was a player named Kaka...

it was excrutiating and I felt badly for Mo - imagine having to be subjected to that level of questioning - kindergarten humour at best.

Oldtimer
04-17-2009, 11:53 AM

It did happen. I heard the stupid interview. Mo just played it straight, saying "Kaka is a very fine player. I would love to have him" or something like that.

TOBOR !
04-17-2009, 12:00 PM
... I don't think he's been back on since.

In fact I think the only team representative I've heard on the FAN590 since then is Tom Anselme, and he doesn't have much to offer.

Tezza
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
This is only one side of the story, who knows what the demand on the timeline is?

Carvers job is to coach TFC, not give raido interviews. I am fine with his refusal.

I'm not saying it should be part of his job...although..I guess he's too busy. Oh wait...sorry..gotta run. Alex Ferguson is giving an interview on The Football Show less than 3 hours after beating Porto in the Champions League.

spark
04-17-2009, 01:04 PM
I hear you. If every other coach found the time over the last month - coaches of teams who are doing much better than us, kinda doesn't make sense.

And wasn't there an article last year or something about how TFC wants to brand itself worldwide?? Seems pretty backwards to me that a team who wants everyone to know who they are refuse getting on the air with a show that has, what, over 250,000 listeners?

pubboy
04-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm not saying it should be part of his job...although..I guess he's too busy. Oh wait...sorry..gotta run. Alex Ferguson is giving an interview on The Football Show less than 3 hours after beating Porto in the Champions League.

Big deal. It would be a very welcome change if Ferguson would keep his f'ing mouth shut.

It's up to Carver. One thing is for sure, he has his reasons for not doing so, and even without knowing what they are, i respect them.

Phil
04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I hear you. If every other coach found the time over the last month - coaches of teams who are doing much better than us, kinda doesn't make sense.

And wasn't there an article last year or something about how TFC wants to brand itself worldwide?? Seems pretty backwards to me that a team who wants everyone to know who they are refuse getting on the air with a show that has, what, over 250,000 listeners?

You are seriously telling me that if Carver does this satellite radio interview it will help in making the club a worldwide recognized brand?

IMO, it won't help in the least. Things like TFC TV, after game press confrences and weekly media updates do more for the fans that support the club and people intrested in the league in general.

It does make me laugh, if he did the interview there probably would be a thread or two about how Carver should get back to coaching instead of giving all these interviews. It really is a no win situation when we start picking at these things isn't it?

bangersandmash
04-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Just jumping in (uninvited), here. I listened to all of the interviews that the other coaches did and they were all fantastic. I wasn't expecting the interviews with KC or RSL to be worth anything but they turned out to be really good radio! I was saddened that Carver wouldn't go on because Kenny has made several references to wanting to take in a game at the BMO (though I bet he switches to Qudditch field or wherever it is that Seattle plays!). Hopefully Carver relents. It's a quality show that is finally starting to show a little love to the MLS.

Broadview
04-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Carver on the fan a couple months ago being interviewed by Doug Fairaway or whatever that guys name is. The guy who hosts "The Director's Chair". He's on the air when I'm usually driving home from work after 1:00 pm and is not averse to talking TFC or EPL. He's actually a Spurs supporter.

spark
04-17-2009, 04:43 PM
You are seriously telling me that if Carver does this satellite radio interview it will help in making the club a worldwide recognized brand?

IMO, it won't help in the least. Things like TFC TV, after game press confrences and weekly media updates do more for the fans that support the club and people intrested in the league in general.

Rooney my point was that TFC had a release last year saying this is what they want to achieve. You don't increase recognition by releasing stuff to your existing market, you need to reach beyond it. 290,000 listeners internationally for 15 mins of your time sounds pretty great for the team if you ask me.

Phil
04-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Rooney my point was that TFC had a release last year saying this is what they want to achieve. You don't increase recognition by releasing stuff to your existing market, you need to reach beyond it. 290,000 listeners internationally for 15 mins of your time sounds pretty great for the team if you ask me.

Fair enough. I don't disagree with him being on the show but I am sure he has his reasons, or maybe its something to do with TFC. :noidea:

Tezza
04-17-2009, 06:13 PM
or maybe you're making excuses for absolutely no reason but to have a contrary opinion.

No..it wouldn't make TFC a world-wide brand overnight..but it's a small step in the right direction. I'd like to hear as much feedback from OUR team as I can...especially from the coaching staff and FO. I was merely saying it sux that Carver decided he won't do an interview when virtually all the other coaches are granting one. I'd like to see us represented on a daily radio show dedicated to footy.

Yes..I agree it's only one side of the story...but the fact of the matter is...they asked..and Carver said no. I'm disappointed. That is all.

nascarguy
04-17-2009, 06:18 PM
from the day that jc said if we did not get a dp he would go back home. the media has been on his back about going back home.

spark
04-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes..I agree it's only one side of the story...but the fact of the matter is...they asked..and Carver said no. I'm disappointed. That is all.

99% sure they never spoke to Carver personally. I think it was more than a month ago they started working on those interviews and when they were scheduling/first talking about them on the air Stephen said TFC's media relations person who used to work at FSC was a total pain to deal with and just straight up shut them down.