PDA

View Full Version : Tactics for getting crowd to chant/jump

BRed
04-17-2009, 09:44 AM
**Please only discuss here the following:

1)Tactics on getting people involved in chanting,singing, jumping.
2)Getting supporter groups to be coordinated in chanting on gameday.
3)Realistic stpes you will take to make this happen.

I believe what we need is to have one or two guys in every row putting their hand around the shoulder of the person next to them and passing it on down. That makes the singing and chanting and jumping very contagious, it carries down the row. Another effective technique is to have people at the entrance of the tunnels to each section to give the people coming in high 5's and chanting "here we go", this gets people who feel like strangers to feel more like part of the supporters and more open to chanting singing/ jumping jacks. Also if you guys are looking to give away lyrics, this could be done at the entrance of those sections.

I'm not a season ticket holder but I have tickets so far to the Montreal and DC United game. Anyone willing to work on this with me or modify this and do it, let me know.

Arnie Knows
04-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Like I have said many times .. I love the ruckus and crap but from a far .. I want to relax drink and enjoy match ..

So please apply no tactics on me

jabbronies
04-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Like I have said many times .. I love the ruckus and crap but from a far .. I want to relax drink and enjoy match ..

Considering this is an internet forum and no one knows who you really are, there is a good chance these tactics may be applied to you.

Dave67
04-17-2009, 09:53 AM
The only real 'tactics' that can be 'applied' is singing easy, catchy chants that the masses want to join in on. It will take years before any of the harder chants are wide spread.

As for coordinating I don't think much more can be done than having two Capo's in the South end. If 112 & 113 & 114 can not get on the same page now then I suspect there are a lot of people who just flat out have no intention of joining in.

Arnie Knows
04-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Considering this is an internet forum and no one knows who you really are, there is a good chance these tactics may be applied to you.

I will not be tricked or treated like an animal ..

My viewing must be in accordance with my rights to not sing and dance like a Young man in heat

Toronto Gunner
04-17-2009, 10:02 AM
I agree with Skint. I'm way up in 222 and get a pretty good perspective on who's chanting and jumping and who's not. 111 and 112 are the only supporters in the supporter end doing anything. In our first two home games the other sections were quieter than the west side. Seriously, there were actually quite a few people chanting from 221-224, I was embarrassed for our supporter sections.

flatpicker
04-17-2009, 10:08 AM
it's discussions like this that make me think of how good we could be if all "supporters" stood together in the same part of BMO.

Ah well...

ExiledRed
04-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Anybody who pours money into this team is a supporter, Kyle.

flatpicker
04-17-2009, 10:20 AM

I wasn't trying to say that one type of fan is better than another.

Just that there are some of us who are into more vocal/visual and organised forms of support.

Sadly, not enough of those people sit together.

Jack
04-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Arnie, you're spamming your "I'm going to sit and want nothing to do with you supporters" message everywhere now and it's honestly getting old. You've already had a whole thread about it, so stop with the spam.

FluSH
04-17-2009, 11:00 AM

Not necessarily, You have:

Expectators
Scalpers
Fans
Fanatics
Supporters
Reporters

Just because you buy a ticket to watch a soccer game, doesn't mean you support the team. You could very well just buy a ticket to watch soccer... and leave at half time because the gameplay is not up to your standards... (i.e. The Argentinian & Italian Seniors mentioned on a different thread that sit in 117)

FluSH
04-17-2009, 11:01 AM

perfectly fine... I will join you when I'm older and my back gives...

TFC OZZ
04-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Arnie, you're spamming your "I'm going to sit and want nothing to do with you supporters" message everywhere now and it's honestly getting old. You've already had a whole thread about it, so stop with the spam.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/34/102262957_902963d9ed.jpg?v=0

Arnie Knows
04-17-2009, 11:04 AM

Ouch .. Love your terms Spamming .. haha

FluSH
04-17-2009, 11:07 AM

I guess it just seems silly that someone who is not a "supporter" will come to a Supporter owned website and constantly preach his philosophy like a Christian Missionary to sit down.

It's kind of like a group of us going to Big Soccer and starting threads to convert people to Chant and Jump... don't think the mods would like it very much.

Jack
04-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Yes. And I checked your IP Kenny ;)

Carefree
04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
BRed, I think your suggestions are great. Creating a positive vibe around the gameday experience by taking little steps like this is what will ultimately lead to a crowd that is more involved.

One thing I will caution you on however is to have realistic expectations. A lot of people are like Arnie and just want to watch the game in peace. Don't get upset if people don't join in, just keep smiling and keep chanting. One thing that pisses me off to no end is when some so-called "ultras" feel it's their duty to be condescending to anyone who doesn't jump whenever you tell them to jump.

Some people feel that the solution is to have all the supporters sit in one section, but I think that's short-sighted. What it will lead to eventualy is something like they have in Columbus: a couple hundred hardcore fans crowded in one corner and the rest of the stadium mostly empty. A better solution for the long term would be to have supporters scattered all over the stadium with a mission to convert the casuals into dedicated supporters - not drive them away.

Ultimately, what I want to see on gameday is the entire stadium singing in unison, not just the bottom half of section 112. That'll take a lot of time but it's by no means impossible.

Wolfe
04-17-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm in 224 last row and I stand for each and every game as I am agains the press box and don't bother anyone behind me, as for people in the lower rows, they are unable to stand because of people sitting behind them, and I have seen people try on occasion over the last few years and they have been asked to sit by security/ushers. I think as time goes on we may see more people standing and chanting, but the team is still young and more people seem to be getting into it as time goes on.

I must say STOP the "Westside Stand Up" chant!!!! That is the stupidest fucking chant I have ever heard!!! It has NOTHING to do with either team or the game, and as soon as people stop chantting it, everyone sits back down. So it is just a complete waste of time and doesn't motivate the team at all!!!

As for co-ordinating, I believe that the main groups (RPB, U Sector, NEE) need to pool some of their funds and get some mic's or walkie talkies or whatever they are called, so that they can discuss which chant they are going to do. Many times from my seat I hear different chants in the north and south, as well as one chant being a line or two ahead of the other, so it really sounds bad and muffled.

I would love to see the south, south west and north west few sections be given to the supporters groups so that we could have a few pods of people who will chant and sing, as I know there are 10-20 in the upper section of 224-225 who love to join in, and even start chants, but we can't get fully into it as we are the only ones in the area doing them most of the time.

Nomad
04-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes. And I checked your IP Kenny ;)

You mean Chris...Chris Norris.

LCB
04-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't know... even 112 has its fair share of tourists. Without starting any pissing contests, my seats are up in row 15 and despite our crew fucking bringing it every game, there's guys (familiar faces, same every week, not scalped seats) all around us content to just stand there.

They join some of the better known chants, they make some noise... but they just smirk during the "Who's not jumping..." chants, and they certainly don't bounce.

They're still wicked fans as far as I'm concerned, and their idea of support simply may not be jumping and moshing. In the end, it's not going to look like a terrace, because it just isn't a terrace. It's not "my" section, it's the seat holder's section, maybe that's just what support in this country/city/section/whatever is like.

edmundo
04-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I must say STOP the "Westside Stand Up" chant!!!! That is the stupidest fucking chant I have ever heard!!! It has NOTHING to do with either team or the game, and as soon as people stop chantting it, everyone sits back down. So it is just a complete waste of time and doesn't motivate the team at all!!!

next to the dichio chant this is probably the best chant actually, gets lazy unenthusiastic glory hunters off their ass and supporting the team like their supposed to, this is soccer not motherf******g golf son

edmundo
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM

why does anyone even pay this guy and mind , ignore hime, delete his threads, we have more important things to be concerned with than his anti-team propoganda

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
How realistic is it to have the whole supporters section singing and jumping? you cant force people to do it...being in 114 low half it seems im the only one singing
at times its depressing...jumping is out of the question with my knees, get rid of
the corperate seats in the supporters end and get supporters into them might
help getting things done?

RedMAN127
04-17-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know... even 112 has its fair share of tourists. Without starting any pissing contests, my seats are up in row 15 and despite our crew fucking bringing it every game, there's guys (familiar faces, same every week, not scalped seats) all around us content to just stand there.

They join some of the better known chants, they make some noise... but they just smirk during the "Who's not jumping..." chants, and they certainly don't bounce.

They're still wicked fans as far as I'm concerned, and their idea of support simply may not be jumping and moshing. In the end, it's not going to look like a terrace, because it just isn't a terrace. It's not "my" section, it's the seat holder's section, maybe that's just what support in this country/city/section/whatever is like.

Like the point of moving supporters to the same section ... why can't arnie sit down and watch the game.

Has the offer been made for people to move out of the southend that don't want to be in a supporter sections? I know in 127 they offered people to move who didn't want to be around the NEE guys .. to bad they didn't move them to the supporters section.

RedsYNWA
04-17-2009, 12:38 PM
It All has to do with the WIND
I'm serious the past 2 home games were windy as hell and we in the south end got it full blast to the face, no one could hear as much as on a calm day. Rain snow anything but that WIND

I CURSE THE WIND

flatpicker
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Like the point of moving supporters to the same section ... why can't arnie sit down and watch the game.

Has the offer been made for people to move out of the southend that don't want to be in a supporter sections? I know in 127 they offered people to move who didn't want to be around the NEE guys .. to bad they didn't move them to the supporters section.

it would be nice if a large scale seat relocation could be arranged
- and I don't mean the current "seat relocation" that takes place each year (it does not work)

But I think it's more of a headache than TFC would care to have.

It's a shame a north stand wasn't in the plans, because that would be the ultimate way of getting all vocal supporters in one area.

Parkdale
04-17-2009, 01:09 PM
bribery.

$0.01 per jump.

Yohan
04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
bribery.

$0.01 per jump.
this made me lol

fetajr
04-17-2009, 01:16 PM
It's a shame a north stand wasn't in the plans, because that would be the ultimate way of getting all vocal supporters in one area.

mlse would need some kind of supporter "try-out" day to filter the supporters from the people who just want tickets. As stupid as that sounds, actually its almost retarded, but how else can they ensure that its filled with supporters? Outside of supporter groups, there are hundreds if not thousands of die-hards scattered throughout bmo that would want a chance at getting into the north stands as well.

T-Bird
04-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Good ideas and just to let you know, A co-worker of mine brought his 5 year old to his first game last week. They sat rather quietly in the section beside the NNE's and when I talked about the game with him on Monday he said his son was singing Dichio's chant nonstop!

That being said, I agree, let the easy chants catch on and then work on the tougher ones mainly for the next generation of fans. Seems to me as though we have a few solid groups of people willing to join in and people who are happy taking in the atmosphere while watching quietly. But it will be nice to see what happens when these mini supporters get older!

flatpicker
04-17-2009, 01:25 PM
mlse would need some kind of supporter "try-out" day to filter the supporters from the people who just want tickets. As stupid as that sounds, actually its almost retarded, but how else can they ensure that its filled with supporters? Outside of supporter groups, there are hundreds if not thousands of die-hards scattered throughout bmo that would want a chance at getting into the north stands as well.

because tickets would only be given to supporter group members first?

fetajr
04-17-2009, 01:32 PM
yep..thats one way... similar to how the Canada-Jamaica game was arranged with supporter groups..but this would be at a large scale since it deals with season tickets. Get Anselmi on the phone.

BRed
04-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Alright, after gathering everything that has been said in this post so far, would anyone disagree to make this our first realistic, logical and doable goal?

GOAL 1: Get the south end to chant in unision.

discuss.

*if we can't get the supporter groups and people in the supporter section to this then getting the east stand, west stand, north stand who's stand...to do it just seems like a waste of effort.

**I know for the last game, some of the moderators here were trying to get section 118 going by swaping seats. Has anyone everthough of all the RPB boys dispursing through out the south end as well as the other support member groups? Therefore if your sitting in the southend, chances are that if your not singing the person next to you is and more people would join in as they wont be shy or self consciouss or whatever.

Dale_Rojo
04-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Honestly , HOW can you guys expe3ct everyone to stand and up , Get the SG's in one end , then sure , as for now? how can you guys get mad if someone just wantes to enjoy the match .... and not go crazy...... Remember here that they might not have been able to get out of the section they are in .... or cant find one for the same price.... Please dont incite hatred to fans who want to enjoy the match . Instead push for BMO expansion ;)

LCB
04-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Honestly, I'll tell you what I would not be opposed to... and this is not going to be popular... MLSE or whoever raising the prices in the south end SIGNIFICANTLY. Even if only for a season.

I would pay quadruple to stay in 112, and I knew what I was getting into when I bought the seats. But I've got people adjacent to me in at least two directions who probably didn't, they love having the cool seats, they enjoy the game enough to at least show up to MOST games, and stay at least a half (I'm not fucking kidding here...)... and at the end of the season, they probably say "Ehhhhh, $280? Fuck it, why not."

ExiledRed
04-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Honestly, I'll tell you what I would not be opposed to... and this is not going to be popular... MLSE or whoever raising the prices in the south end SIGNIFICANTLY. Even if only for a season.

I would pay quadruple to stay in 112, and I knew what I was getting into when I bought the seats. But I've got people adjacent to me in at least two directions who probably didn't, they love having the cool seats, they enjoy the game enough to at least show up to MOST games, and stay at least a half (I'm not fucking kidding here...)... and at the end of the season, they probably say "Ehhhhh, $280? Fuck it, why not."

If the prices quadrupled, in these hard times, I would be forced to give up my tickets.

I'd consider it a slight and I'd unconditionally withdraw my support also.

LCB
04-17-2009, 04:25 PM
If the prices quadrupled, in these hard times, I would be forced to give up my tickets.

I'd consider it a slight and I'd unconditionally withdraw my support also.

Well, therein lies the issue. I can only say I'd dig it because I'm lucky (or unlucky) enough to have no dependents/responsibilities/expenses, and I'm sure a lot of fans would feel the same way, and leave.

In that case... what we need is a warden. A warden who wants exactly what I want out of a game day experience, and threatens either physical or financial pain to anyone who doesn't comply. There, problem solved forever.

Darlofletch
04-17-2009, 04:27 PM
next to the dichio chant this (west side stand up)is probably the best chant actually, gets lazy unenthusiastic glory hunters off their ass and supporting the team like their supposed to, this is soccer not motherf******g golf son

No it doesn't, it just forces the people who prefer to watch the games on their own terms to stand up so they can see, then eventually they all sit back down again at the first opportunity.

It's a lot of fun to watch though, like the world's slowest mexican wave.

FluSH
04-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Alright, after gathering everything that has been said in this post so far, would anyone disagree to make this our first realistic, logical and doable goal?

GOAL 1: Get the south end to chant in unision.

It's easier said than done, but believe me we are still trying.

Usector, RPB, 114Ultras... we are all trying. Ideas have been discussed over and over again for the past three seasons. And we are making headways...(see capo stands) slowly but surely... At the end it boils down to all supporters beign in one area (not dispursing like you have suggested) and having frontline and midsection capos.

Bobo
04-17-2009, 05:24 PM

That chant is wack. Very condescending. I'll never join in that one.

ExiledRed
04-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Actually, I'm silent during the 'who's not jumping' chant, and the moment I get to kill it with something else I usually try.

I'm no ultra, and that's fine by me, it doesn't make me a lesser supporter in any way at all, and it doesn't mean I should be relegated to a more expensive section where I have to sit down.

FluSH
04-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Actually, I'm silent during the 'who's not jumping' chant, and the moment I get to kill it with something else I usually try.

I'm no ultra, and that's fine by me, it doesn't make me a lesser supporter in any way at all, and it doesn't mean I should be relegated to a more expensive section where I have to sit down.

I have yet to hear the who's not jumping chant... I don't know why... maybe I'm getting beer around the time it comes on... but I haven't heard it once this year!

Super
04-17-2009, 06:12 PM
I have yet to hear the who's not jumping chant... I don't know why... maybe I'm getting beer around the time it comes on... but I haven't heard it once this year!

Deniz and Mike are not part of U-Sector anymore, and as a result they're not starting the chant from top of 112. That's the reason why we haven't heard it this season. Usually I join in on the chant, as does the other guys Im with - just coz it sounds cool. I couldn't care less about the Ultras thing. I just like jumping and chanting - feels like the thing to do at a game.

Cambridge_Red
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
We use it and it works fairly well.

edmundo
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
No it doesn't, it just forces the people who prefer to watch the games on their own terms to stand up so they can see, then eventually they all sit back down again at the first opportunity.

It's a lot of fun to watch though, like the world's slowest mexican wave.
hahaha worlds slowest mexican wave is jks, but its kinda dramatic and cool when they do get up tho i gotta say, adds to the atmosphere, there should be moments in the game where we schedule the west side stand up chant every game.

BRed
04-17-2009, 07:57 PM
It's easier said than done, but believe me we are still trying.

Usector, RPB, 114Ultras... we are all trying. Ideas have been discussed over and over again for the past three seasons. And we are making headways...(see capo stands) slowly but surely... At the end it boils down to all supporters beign in one area (not dispursing like you have suggested) and having frontline and midsection capos.

Glad to hear you guys are trying hard...hope I could help more but no tickets..I will be at the Montreal and DC United game though, me and my friends will definately bring it....for those games.

Blazer
04-17-2009, 08:05 PM
**Please only discuss here the following:

1)Tactics on getting people involved in chanting,singing, jumping. Get the chanting in order and the rest will follow. More capable capos (and louder phones) who are in unison with one another.
2)Getting supporter groups to be coordinated in chanting on gameday. Each group should have a capo who is not afraid to follow the lead from any other groups' capo rep.
3)Realistic stpes you will take to make this happen. I will put all of my necessary effort and passion into a properly organized and harmonic symphony. And, I will encourage all those around me to do the same. But only if we get out shit together first. Right now we’re just too drunk, too shrieky, and too over zealous collectively.

Dale_Rojo
04-17-2009, 08:49 PM
honestly , we should look at other clubs .

Marsaille for example use mic's with speakers the capo directs the end .

Blazer
04-17-2009, 08:52 PM
^ Half our problem is that we are trying to be something we’re not because we look at other clubs. The other half of our problem is that the people who need to be reading these boards are the one's preventing us from being something grand. I'm fairly confident that the folks here have their shit together. Without sounding elitist, it's the balance of soccer "fans" that just don;t get it.

Hornet Abroad
04-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I am sick to death of this stupid attitude by some that if you sit down during the game you aren't a proper supporter of the team. I have been going to football matches since I was 6 years old (and my team lost 3-0 at home the first game and I still went back!! ok so ...... my Dad made me but after 2 or 3 heavy defeats I got into it) , anyway .... 20 years (plus a few more) later I find myself several thousand miles away from my home town team in a town with a great team, a great stadium and a really great set of supporters but the constant calls to stand up for the whole game annoy me.

I sit down during the game and do so for as much as I can. I am a season ticket holder that has been so since the beginning and is passionate about Toronto FC. By sitting I get to see the whole game, I get to see how well we are playing through a full view of everything that is going on on the pitch and appreciate the good football that is being played. I don't get a half cut view inbetween bouncing up and down so much that I can't make out which player is which? And guess what? When I sit down, I sing !! I chant, I shout things, I contribute to the atmosphere of the game. It's fun, everyone around me enjoys it, they chant too and they ALL sit down. Shock horror, how can that be, surely they must be secret supporters of the opposition? When I do stand up because I am too excited to sit down, I sit down straight afterwards as a courtesy to those around me.

Now of course I don't get to do that because the guys in the front row (the ones with the best view of all) stand up for as much of the game as they can, which by reciprocation means the people behind them stand up and then the ones behind them and etc etc until I have to too and the people behind me. That includes all the kids (who now can't see a thing thanks to the adults in front of them) and all the women (my wife included) who aren't over 5ft 10 tall.

Above all let those around you enjoy the game too, we all paid to watch and support the team so let us do that. If you want to stand up, either get a ticket in the supporters section or go and stand in the beer garden, please don't subject everyone else to the sight of the back of your head when we paid to see Robbo send a screamer into the top corner from 35 yards.

flatpicker
04-17-2009, 08:59 PM
I appreciate your thoughts Hornet.
I am not fussed about folks sitting at games.
When I want to see more enthusiasm from people, it's within the supporter sections that I look for it.
That's what they are there for.

Blazer
04-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Have you asked for a seat adjustment Horny?

FluSH
04-17-2009, 09:49 PM
I am sick to death of this stupid attitude by some that if you sit down during the game you aren't a proper supporter of the team. I have been going to football matches since I was 6 years old (and my team lost 3-0 at home the first game and I still went back!! ok so ...... my Dad made me but after 2 or 3 heavy defeats I got into it) , anyway .... 20 years (plus a few more) later I find myself several thousand miles away from my home town team in a town with a great team, a great stadium and a really great set of supporters but the constant calls to stand up for the whole game annoy me.

I sit down during the game and do so for as much as I can. I am a season ticket holder that has been so since the beginning and is passionate about Toronto FC. By sitting I get to see the whole game, I get to see how well we are playing through a full view of everything that is going on on the pitch and appreciate the good football that is being played. I don't get a half cut view inbetween bouncing up and down so much that I can't make out which player is which? And guess what? When I sit down, I sing !! I chant, I shout things, I contribute to the atmosphere of the game. It's fun, everyone around me enjoys it, they chant too and they ALL sit down. Shock horror, how can that be, surely they must be secret supporters of the opposition? When I do stand up because I am too excited to sit down, I sit down straight afterwards as a courtesy to those around me.

Now of course I don't get to do that because the guys in the front row (the ones with the best view of all) stand up for as much of the game as they can, which by reciprocation means the people behind them stand up and then the ones behind them and etc etc until I have to too and the people behind me. That includes all the kids (who now can't see a thing thanks to the adults in front of them) and all the women (my wife included) who aren't over 5ft 10 tall.

Above all let those around you enjoy the game too, we all paid to watch and support the team so let us do that. If you want to stand up, either get a ticket in the supporters section or go and stand in the beer garden, please don't subject everyone else to the sight of the back of your head when we paid to see Robbo send a screamer into the top corner from 35 yards.

did you copy and paste your first post twice then paraphrased the rest from the original post...

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-17-2009, 10:08 PM
That chant is wack. Very condescending. I'll never join in that one.

Deniz and Mike are not part of U-Sector anymore, and as a result they're not starting the chant from top of 112. That's the reason why we haven't heard it this season. Usually I join in on the chant, as does the other guys Im with - just coz it sounds cool. I couldn't care less about the Ultras thing. I just like jumping and chanting - feels like the thing to do at a game.

U-Sec brings it out a couple of times per game (don't remember if it's Zac). I agree that it sounds pretty good overall (when the anti-non-ultra attitude is disregarded) and the jumping is nice to see. I wouldn't have a problem with it (as I'm not sure that it's inaccurate and I don't much care who's an ultra and whether they know I'm not one) if it weren't accompanied by derisive comments about those who aren't jumping/ultra.

For the record, I have bad knees and can't manage the physical task of jumping up and down on concrete, so I sing "I'm not jumping, I'm no ultra" just to keep singing.

Wighty
04-17-2009, 10:16 PM
...we paid to see Robbo send a screamer into the top corner from 35 yards.

:eek: Ask for a refund, you've been ripped off.

FluSH
04-17-2009, 10:27 PM
U-Sec brings it out a couple of times per game (don't remember if it's Zac). I agree that it sounds pretty good overall (when the anti-non-ultra attitude is disregarded) and the jumping is nice to see. I wouldn't have a problem with it (as I'm not sure that it's inaccurate and I don't much care who's an ultra and whether they know I'm not one) if it weren't accompanied by derisive comments about those who aren't jumping/ultra.

For the record, I have bad knees and can't manage the physical task of jumping up and down on concrete, so I sing "I'm not jumping, I'm no ultra" just to keep singing.

The thing is that some people don't want to be Ultras... so it's like meh who cares? and then you get your scalper seats... do you think they might know what an Ultra is? lol

In Latin America they do a similar chant... but it entices you to jump a lot more because it calls you a... (censored) , or it calls you a member of the opposing team...

examples:

aA6qMgbWpe8

YeKENjtogRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLqi3rK8Gc

I guess what I'm trying to say is... you need to want to be an Ultra in order to jump to that chant...

However if you say something like...

"who's not jumping is a cunt hey hey!"

you might get more people jumping.... hahahahaha

marshall_law
04-17-2009, 10:30 PM
^ Half our problem is that we are trying to be something we’re not because we look at other clubs.

i don't think looking to other clubs necessarily means that we're trying to copy them and be something we're not. i just means that we're seeing what works - from an organization point of view - which will allows us to be a more successful supporters group here.

just a thought: has anybody contacted any supporters clubs from europe, south america, etc... to see how they organize for matches? wonder if they'd be willing to share some tips...

FluSH
04-17-2009, 10:34 PM
just a thought: has anybody contacted any supporters clubs from europe, south america, etc... to see how they organize for matches? wonder if they'd be willing to share some tips...

We contacted some Ultras from Europe last year for banners... I forget which Ultra group... they were short of telling us to fck off... saying "they don't help other Ultra groups but here you go..."

RedMAN127
04-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Have you asked for a seat adjustment Horny?

They will probably offer you too move to a faimily section in the second deck ... you know I have been to Old Trafford and didn't have anyone standing to chant, they could watch the game while chanting, heckling and sitting.

The Dichio chant works very well because it is timed and can be co-ordinated between groups ... could a schedule for some of the main chants be organised to achieve co-ordination?

Also, how about doing a chant from the seated position, even if we have to make one up asking for a DP, or turf, or whatever (that way it would appear as if everyone was involved in the chant.

marshall_law
04-18-2009, 09:53 AM
We contacted some Ultras from Europe last year for banners... I forget which Ultra group... they were short of telling us to fck off... saying "they don't help other Ultra groups but here you go..."

hm. guess i shouldn't be surprised

LCB
04-18-2009, 10:04 AM
However if you say something like...

"who's not jumping is a cunt hey hey!"

you might get more people jumping.... hahahahaha

Well, that's the thing. It's not always "who's not jumping is no ultra", which if you want to be offended, or feel condescended to, fine. Maybe that's too divisive. But we've tried just about everything, "Who's not jumping IS from Kansas HEY HEY" if we're playing the Wiz, "Is from Jersey" for NYRB, etc.

It's supposed to be a chant that when you hear it, you turn to the guy beside you and laugh because "Nobody wants to be from Jersey!" or something, and then start jumping for a bit.

So to massage this into a practical suggestion, start a chant with a light-hearted jab indicating that if you're not jumping, you're obviously from the city of the team we're playing, or a Landon Donovan fan, or something. If that offends everyone's sensitivities and it doesn't work, fuck it. Failed experiment.

MisterMacphisto
04-18-2009, 10:37 AM
^ Half our problem is that we are trying to be something we’re not because we look at other clubs.

That's not the problem. The entire problem is so many people trying to re-invent what a football supporter is, like its some new phenomenon. :rolleyes:

What you get is a lot of individuals on a public forum each being a supporter "in their own unique way".

BRed
04-18-2009, 12:04 PM
I know one thing, it's definately not like a baseball fan.

"Stand up! this ain't Skydome"

FluSH
04-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Well, that's the thing. It's not always "who's not jumping is no ultra", which if you want to be offended, or feel condescended to, fine. Maybe that's too divisive. But we've tried just about everything, "Who's not jumping IS from Kansas HEY HEY" if we're playing the Wiz, "Is from Jersey" for NYRB, etc.

It's supposed to be a chant that when you hear it, you turn to the guy beside you and laugh because "Nobody wants to be from Jersey!" or something, and then start jumping for a bit.

So to massage this into a practical suggestion, start a chant with a light-hearted jab indicating that if you're not jumping, you're obviously from the city of the team we're playing, or a Landon Donovan fan, or something. If that offends everyone's sensitivities and it doesn't work, fuck it. Failed experiment.

Exactly!!!! That is the key point... I don't really laugh when the chant says:

"Who's not jumping is no Ultra Hey! Hey!"

I'm jumping just for the support of jumping... but making it funny is the key!!

Cambridge_Red
04-18-2009, 12:15 PM
That's not the problem. The entire problem is so many people trying to re-invent what a football supporter is, like its some new phenomenon. :rolleyes:

What you get is a lot of individuals on a public forum each being a supporter "in their own unique way".

100% bang on

Hence why we have co-ordination problems, way too many opinions..

If you don't want to be part of the group and go along with everyone fine nobody should judge you, but in reality you're not following what your SG believes in. This is directed at the "supporters" and not the prawnies.

Zeke_Jones
04-18-2009, 12:39 PM
We have to stick to the basics, keep the chants simple until "everybody" knows them. Its kinda shitty sitting around hearing everybody sing something you dont know and then having them call you out on it.

FluSH
04-18-2009, 01:48 PM

hahaha

kind of like little kids soccer league! Everyone is a winner! Everyone gets a prize...

Blazer
04-18-2009, 02:29 PM
i don't think looking to other clubs necessarily means that we're trying to copy them and be something we're not. i just means that we're seeing what works - from an organization point of view - which will allows us to be a more successful supporters group here.

Has nothing to do with copying them. Fact is, more than half of the chants sung around the world are unoriginal knock-offs anyway. What I’m saying is that we first need to learn what it means to sing and chant in harmony. Our problem now is that we are still in love with loud and ruckus noise. We’re not allowing ourselves to graduate beyond and actually turn this thing into a loud and ruckus thing of beauty where our chants are succinct and glorious – and the envy of the league.

Blazer
04-18-2009, 02:34 PM

Adamantly disagree. I don’t think collectively we are so arrogant to believe that we are innately better football supporters than those who have been at it for over a hundred years or that we are more unique in some sensationally different way. We are exactly like any other football supporter group - just going through some growing pains is all where help is desperately needed. I think the bulk of us understand that although we are good at what we do, we still have a lot of work and a lot to learn about doing this thing properly.

FluSH
04-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Has nothing to do with copying them. Fact is, more than half of the chants sung around the world are unoriginal knock-offs anyway. What I’m saying is that we first need to learn what it means to sing and chant in harmony. Our problem now is that we are still in love with loud and ruckus noise. We’re not allowing ourselves to graduate beyond and actually turn this thing into a loud and ruckus thing of beauty where our chants are succinct and glorious – and the envy of the league.

Next few games solutions:

"Oh when teh Reds" - slow version sung properly

"The world's greatest" - sung properly

"La Donna DeRosario" - sung properly

mighty_torontofc_2008
04-18-2009, 03:43 PM

No thats not the way to go....try getting corperate seats like BMO out of the supporters section, who just give the tickets away to their employees
of the week,:mad: and let the supporters groups (RPB, U Sector) get some real
supporters in there..in 114 the two seats to the left of me this couple came, and they talked for most of the first half, well she did anyways,
and they left for good in the early second half, and these are first row seats, not just old ones, just get rid of these tourists and the problem will be half solved.

Sec115
04-19-2009, 11:49 AM
The biggest mistake you guys made and also U-sector is that you took the corner of the south end for your sections. It will always stay like this because we in the middle can't join to most of the chants that do not last long because we just to not hear them, and by the time they get to us, it dies at your end. You think that we do not want to sing and most of you have already given up on our section as supporters section but we do sing, and same as we can't hear you, well you can't hear us.

Once you guys start including the other sections and main thing is that all sections are united and not like this every section is its own group things will stay the same for next 5 years. Stands in front of corner sections need to be moved more to center and fans must unite into one for us to be example to everybody else. Refusing to sing other supporter group songs is just killing just kill the interest in others that would like to be included but are ignored when they see what is happening between groups. So nobody should be surprised that whole south section does not sing in sync for next 5 years.

egoodwin
04-19-2009, 12:34 PM
The biggest mistake you guys made and also U-sector is that you took the corner of the south end for your sections. It will always stay like this because we in the middle can't join to most of the chants that do not last long because we just to not hear them, and by the time they get to us, it dies at your end. You think that we do not want to sing and most of you have already given up on our section as supporters section but we do sing, and same as we can't hear you, well you can't hear us.

Once you guys start including the other sections and main thing is that all sections are united and not like this every section is its own group things will stay the same for next 5 years. Stands in front of corner sections need to be moved more to center and fans must unite into one for us to be example to everybody else. Refusing to sing other supporter group songs is just killing just kill the interest in others that would like to be included but are ignored when they see what is happening between groups. So nobody should be surprised that whole south section does not sing in sync for next 5 years.
if the supporter sections were in the middle of the stadium, they'd be empty or next to empty... a lot of supporters are still young and just don't have the cash to pay like $2000 or whatever those 107 seats cost...

and I wouldn't expect FO to accomodate the SGs with affordable pricing there

GeorgeB
04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
if the supporter sections were in the middle of the stadium, they'd be empty or next to empty... a lot of supporters are still young and just don't have the cash to pay like $2000 or whatever those 107 seats cost...

and I wouldn't expect FO to accomodate the SGs with affordable pricing therehe is talking about the middle(115) of the southend.

JDG
04-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Exactly!!!! That is the key point... I don't really laugh when the chant says:

"Who's not jumping is no Ultra Hey! Hey!"

I'm jumping just for the support of jumping... but making it funny is the key!!

When I hear that chant I plant my feet. If I was jumping, I stop.
I'm no wannabe knockoff of some far away euro tradition that has no place here.
If you want to get me into it, that's the exact wrong thing to be taunting me with.

FluSH
04-19-2009, 12:44 PM

First, I am pretty sure that we didn't have a say unto what section of BMO Field we would like to be at... at least I don't recall a deep discussion within our group about it...

anyhow...

Usector is pretty close to the center... and can in essence control the middle. The thing is that it is a myth to think that by beign in the middle we can unite the south end... why?

Well unless we have a roof to propel the sound and/or we get rid of the scalper seats it will be nearly impossible to do this. See Columbus roadtrip '09... everyone that made that COlumbus trip was in essence a fanatic or a supporter... and we controlled the middle but we still failed at getting everyone in unison... granted it was only one game but we still failed.

In my opinion the best solution would be something like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/Kenny31/seating_map.gif

Notice where the point of focus is? and you could have up to 3 capos relatively close together and directing the masses. also notice how difficult it would be to manage a supporter area in the South End without a roof on a horizontal line.... in the above picture section 119 would not be able to see the capo in 116, and even if there were other section capos it would be difficult for them to communicate.

Without a roof... this is by far the best Supporters designed area... if they close the gap between 111 & 112 and have supporters there we would be X10 better.

J .
04-19-2009, 12:48 PM
the only way would be if they were able for supporters to move into the expansion and move the tickets ourselves. then we would have to on a case by case basis move people in who are proven vocal supporters and get us all into one area so we can have a super mega crazy section, let the fans and families have their own.

FluSH
04-19-2009, 12:55 PM
the only way would be if they were able for supporters to move into the expansion and move the tickets ourselves. then we would have to on a case by case basis move people in who are proven vocal supporters and get us all into one area so we can have a super mega crazy section, let the fans and families have their own.

If there is an expansion... I pray to God it is between 111 and 112. Another option would be to get rid of the beer garden and replicate what Columbus has done in the North End. In a Cone shaped supporters area... now if I was NEE I wouldn't like this too much as they have their own paradise up there... kinda of like how we feel with Americans soon flooding Cuba! =P

http://www.httours.com/TORONTO_FC_SEATING_CHART.gif

Bdking2
04-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I know I'm not the first to say this.

I sit in 109. We take a lot of flack but there are many of us that sing and chant along with whatever comes out of the southend. What I feel could help is simple and been said by a few people already.

1. The simple chants, that have been around for awhile.

2. Repeating them back to back or keeping them going longer.

The simpler the chant and the longer it goes on just means it is going to spread further. Just my 2 cents.

koryo
04-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Put heating coils under the floors across the stadium. Turn them up very high. You'll have a stadium full of people jumping in no time.

Cambridge_Red
04-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Put heating coils under the floors across the stadium. Turn them up very high. You'll have a stadium full of people jumping in no time.

HAHA good call!

Redpunkfiddle
04-19-2009, 03:56 PM
HAHA good call!

Yas.... 'Who's not jumping has 3rd degree burns... hey hey.... ho ho!"

SuperTCP
04-20-2009, 11:19 AM
There are supporters scattered throughout the stadium, we need to get those supporters (myself included) seated in supporter sections so that we can combine our forces.

MLSE has to weed out the scalper tickets as it causing the South end to look and sound sad. No offense, but I see alot of Black jackets (and other colors that are not red) in the South Stands - mostly people who purchased from scalpers, standing and watching the game without chanting. The South Stands was a lot louder last year. From where I am sitting in 107 the NEE which is smaller group the the South, has been louder.(But that may have been becuase of the wind).

I wish MLSE weeded out the scalpers and let all true supporters sit in the supporter sections. My son wants to bring a drum and his horn with him to the games but is not allowed to in 107.

Other then myself there is only one other dude, who sits infront of me, who is trying his best to get 107 to chant and sing, but most people just stare at him, but he keeps trying game after game. He wears the RPB scarf and deserves to wear it. Props to him.

Also section 105/104 should be deamed a supporters section just like 127, I sat there last year and miss it. They are always chanting during the game as well and deserve some props too.

Blazer
04-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Next few games solutions:

"Oh when teh Reds" - slow version sung properly

"The world's greatest" - sung properly

"La Donna DeRosario" - sung properly

Yeah, "sung properly" being the operative words I agree.

Brooker
04-20-2009, 11:44 AM
hmm... if we get more scores like 0-2 and 1-1.... it's gonna be tough to get more people jumping....

now... score a couple goals and they'll be a hell of a lot more joining in. thats just the way it is.

Heathen
04-20-2009, 11:45 AM

nah too expensive and not very green, I think snakes or tarantulas would be better

BRed
04-20-2009, 12:03 PM
How about a chant that makes people feel like one and it's not complicated.
*When chanting this drag "paradise" and "BMO"

"we made it to paaaaradiseeee
chant-with-me we're in paaaaradiseee
B-M-OOoooOOooOOO!

If we keep this chant nice and slow and keep it going for a while people will joing in.

greatwhitenorf
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I know I'm not the first to say this.

I sit in 109. We take a lot of flack but there are many of us that sing and chant along with whatever comes out of the southend. What I feel could help is simple and been said by a few people already.

1. The simple chants, that have been around for awhile.

2. Repeating them back to back or keeping them going longer.

The simpler the chant and the longer it goes on just means it is going to spread further. Just my 2 cents.

I agree.

In year one, the best chant to get things started, for a lot of people on the west side, was 'We're All Together, All Together, Hey! Hey!' It started slow, built up nicely and we all had time to catch the rythym and join in. Spread right into the south end of the upper deck and seemed to help get the south end working in unison as well.

'West Side, Stand Up' was another effective chant. It got a lot of newbs into the spirit of the event because the clap-clap, clap-clap-clap rythym betweeen chants could also be stamped out on the metal floors.

I also like the effect of:

T-F-C! clap-clap-clap T-F-C! clap-clap-clap (gets people clapping AND stamping)

T O R - O N T - OHHHohohhh TFC

Le Massif

The Dicihio Song and

The LaLaLa-LaLaLa LaLa Lah OhOhOh... song

I realize it's only natural for hardcore supporters to want to incorporate more and more sophisticated chants into the game-day repertoire. Some of that just goes over Joe Average's head. Maybe run the simple stuff early on and graduate to The Horta or Flight of the Valkyries or whatever later on.

What's changing with the everyday crowd is that in year one, everyone who had season's showed up for almost every game. It was new, novel and a treat to see soccer again. Now that everyone is more clear about how the league works and TFC's role in it, a certain blase attitude has set in and people, myself included, are dishing out tickets to friends.

That's not to say these people aren't soccer fans, just not as fanatical as those who dove in early for seats. They need to be cultivated to join in, just as we were back in year one.

Ratven
04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
So much of it has to do with the product on the pitch guys. When we have a brief (and I mean brief) moment of good play, the crowd erupts and everyone's singing and it's awesome. The desire is there, but as long as there's no consistency on the pitch, there won't be consistency in the stands.